8.9

1. Jan 26, 2012
    Nintendo always impresses me. Mario Galaxy was the best Mario game i've ever played, it's just really fun. I completed the whole game, and wanted more. I like the graphics, and the planets with yoshi are awesome. I loved playing this game, and deserves a 10. No game is perfect, and this one isn't, but is really really good. If a game was perfect, it would score more than the site maximum, so a 10 is fair. Expand
  2. Oct 19, 2010
    This very well could be the bet game on the Wii. It has amazing graphics, music, gameplay, control, and design. The ideas are very original and is a blast to play, albeit a little too easy to beat the main story. However, there is plenty to do afterwards. This game will have you coming back for more and more. PLAY IT.
  3. Nov 8, 2011
    I briefly played "Super Mario Galaxy" in my cousin's house and all I can say is...BRILLIANT. The game looks amazing and well polished for a 2007 game (especially despite the fact that it was on the Wii) and its gameplay was also smooth and addictive for my taste. A epic must-play game.
  4. Jun 4, 2011
    Super Mario Galaxy is an excellent game. The graphics are amazing, and with 120 stars to collect, the game will definitely keep the player entertained for a long time. But what I like most about Super Mario Galaxy (and its sequel) is the wide variety of worlds. The idea of Mario traversing through space lets Nintendo keep its options open, so that each galaxy is unique. There are water galaxies, ice galaxies, fire galaxies, grassland galaxies, and much more. I do wish accessing the galaxies was easier, though. It takes forever to get to the higher observatories. Also, there are WAY too many Purple Coin missions. Things get slightly repetitive around the endgame. But altogether, Super Mario Galaxy is a very enjoyable experience that I would recommend to anyone and everyone. Expand
  5. Jun 7, 2011
    Ok, I ask myself "Who the hell would rate this game high. I mean yeah i used to play it...(Mario that is) But then I turned 8 years old! The amount of games that are being sold is appalling (For Mario)
    This is so outrageous and stupid that I just can't rate it!
  6. Mar 9, 2011
    It's definitely one of the better titles on the Wii, but it obviously lacks in some areas, such as polish, freedom, and re-playability. Unlike Super Mario 64, I feel like the game is linear, not letting you solve many problems on your own. While it is a fantastic attempt, it ABSOLUTELY does not deserve the flood of 100's critics game it, putting it higher than even Half-Life 2.
  7. Nov 24, 2011
    Mario galaxy was the only reason i bought a wii, so if you are a wii owner, you shouldn't , miss it. From the music, the level design, the gravity, etc, etc, this game is a MASTERPIECE.
  8. Feb 25, 2011
    While at least somewhat impressive on all fronts, Galaxy suffers from repetition, extreme linearity and lack of details. Controlling Mario is a little messy with strange tacked-on IR pointing (which, on the other hand, brings about some welcome multitasking), some minor jumping and falling stickiness and not too smooth underwater controls. Did complete and enjoy. Inferior to Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 2. Expand
  9. Mar 2, 2013
    The space where it was possible to move always seemed to be very small. Almost felt like a converted 2d game. Constantly dealing with gravity wasnt a great move either, it kind of ruined the experience. I wasnt a great fan of the motion control either, felt very duckt taped and gimmicky. The art style left nothing to complain about, lovely colourful environments. The setting in space didnt really appeal to me, it didnt have the Mario feeling to it. The green grass, castles and trees is just much more fitting. The graphics left much to wish for, but it wasnt much they could do with that hardware. It does look significantly better on dolphin emulator with upscaling and some minor graphic tweaks. An OK game, but Id rather see a full blown remake of Mario 64 with 1080p resolution.

Its not a bad game, but its the Galaxy instalment is by far the worst in the series. I was a sceptic to Mario Sunshine when it came, but after playing this I realize how much better it was. Its obvious that the new and younger crowd loved this game. I hope that they some day get the chance to play Mario 64 and see how much better it can be.
  10. Aug 30, 2010
    This game is the best game on the wii. Truly excellent graphics and gameplay. There is tons and tons of things to do and just keeps you coming back for more.
  11. Jul 14, 2011
    The Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 are the best games to be released on the Wii and are some of the best games to be released in the seventh generation of video game consoles. The originality in the level design is awesome and the fun that comes from the gameplay is unforgettable. There is more originally in some single levels of Galaxy than some entire games! The soundtrack of Galaxy is freaken wicked and the graphics are charmingly simple and well designed. The only downer to Galaxy is the story which although is irrelevant to what Mario games are about should have been removed from the game altogether. I actually dont know many people who have played this game which is disappointing as it really is one of the best of the best. Expand
  12. Jun 4, 2013
    What happened in here? This game is so wrong, too few levels and when they are easy, literally, THEY ARE VERY EASY, but they want them to be hard... OMG THEY ARE VERY, VERY HARD. And the game has many incoherences. The design of the planets are wonderful, I admit that, but when I play in them, I get dizzy. The good thing is that the new power and hilarious, and makes the game fun.
  13. Nov 24, 2011
    I can't really fault this game. It is seriously good. Mario was always a series that I enjoyed as a kid, but I never really got into properly. Until Galaxy. It is one of the best looking games out there (yes, that does include ALL consoles) and is a joy to play from start to finish. Yes it is more linear than Mario 64, but I think it's a better game because of it. The motion controls work well when used, it's reasonably easy, but not to say, Kirby levels it probably won't really challenge those who have played older Mario games (those are tough as nails). Anybody who has any sense will enjoy this game. Mario has increased in quality, which is something very special as I have not played a Mario game which does not deserve a score less than a nine out of ten. If you don't have it, buy it!!! Expand
  14. Feb 7, 2012
    This is easily the best game on the Wii. The graphics are impressive and the environments are varied. The gameplay and music are amazing. The motion controls were responsive and easy. This is a game for everyone.
  15. Nov 7, 2012
    Played this and don't seem why it gets so much praise. I was bored to tears in 25 minutes. It seems like people just bought the game as a replacement for Mario 64. This doesn't impress
  16. Mar 3, 2013
    Worst Mario game Ive played, along with the second Galaxy. I didnt like the setting in space, the lack of "open world" environments. Mario is the one game where the concept cant change too much. We need the castle, the green grass, the classic water levels etc. This felt much more sterile. The motion controls wasnt fitting in this game, it felt very gimmicky. The spin move would have felt more natural to do with a button, which would have made it more precise.

Mario 64 remains unbeaten.
  17. Apr 27, 2012
    This game was fun. I did beat it in a few months, but I enjoyed it. The bosses were great and the planets were cool. I also loved how Mario said thank you for playing my game at the end of the game.
  18. Jan 4, 2011

Metroid Prime (Trilogy)
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Resident Evil 4
    Tetris DS
    Words with Friends (Scrabble)
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Mike Tysonâ
  19. Jun 5, 2011
    Amazing, that word poorly describes how wonderful this game really are. I start to play just now, 3 years past the launch and the game still is very fresh and not became old.
    I can't speak anymore. I gonna play!
  20. Mar 23, 2013
    Wholly original and infinetly fun. Perhaps one of the best games ever. I think I'm gonna buy it again. It controls like the best of all marios yet it's platforming is ultra complicated technically. But it controls so well that it all seems so simple.
  21. Jan 15, 2011
    Anyone giving it a bad review, oh come on! You're either one of them COD fanboys, guys who don't even own a Nintendo System, trolls, you found the game too hard or you can't appreciate a game. If you don't like the plot, then you should probably read a book or something. Videogames obviously aren't your thing. This game doesn't even need a good plot, and I'd be upset if it was anything else. If it was something else, it won't work one bit and the game would be pointless. *Cough* (Sonic The Hedgehog) *Cough*. I mean, the Galaxies have variety, are very pretty, have a really good challenge and do not force you to complete the mission. The hub world is fun to walk around in. It stays true to its roots and throws its new ideas around. Oh, and if you're going to call it "Mario 64 in space", well, Halo Reach is Halo in Space. COD is pretty much always in Russia. Tetris is always well, Tetris. I only have one criticism though, and it's that running through to Bowser on your first go is too easy. While the galaxies are original, it gets repeated a lot. This isn't restricted to children. It's for everyone and the only people I see disliking this are technophobes, COD fanboys, people who only use videogames to do yoga, ride horses, etc. and politicians. Mario doesn't need a gun or killing Nazis to be awesome. Not quite perfect, but man is this game good. Own a Wii? Don't have this game? What is wrong with you? Expand
  22. Nov 10, 2011
    tl;dr: This game has excellent graphics, gameplay, and music. One of the best for the wii. ____________________________Borg's Super Mario Galaxy Review__________________________ So here it is, Super Mario Galaxy. Metacritic's 2007 game of the year. Does it hold a candle to it's reception? Let's see. ________________________________________________________________________________ Graphics: Super Mario Galaxy, despite being on the graphically weakest console of this generation, couldn't be aesthetically improved much. The models are extremely smooth, and the textures don't stretch too often. The water, sheen, lighting, among other graphical elements, all look very well done, making Mario Galaxy one of the best (if not the best) looking games on the Wii.
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Sound: The soundtrack for Mario Galaxy is orchestrated, and every single level is brought to life by the epic, fitting music. It synergizes perfectly with the graphics and gameplay elements taking place on the screen. Certainly one of Koji Kondo's best works.
    Gameplay: Here's where we get down to the most important element; the gameplay. Super Mario Galaxy's gameplay is nothing less than perfect. You're not bombarded with a slew of glitches ( if there any glitches at all) and the difficulty level is very well perfect, also. Let me explain.. There are several ways of beating the game. You can simply get the minimum 60 stars and beat bowser. There are 120 different missions in the game, so you have alot of variety. But for the hardcore gamers, one can complete all 120 missions, unlock "Super Luigi Galaxy", get all 121 stars in that mode, and then get the last star from the special mission in mario's mode. So much for hardcore gamers to do, and enough for casuals.
    Replayability: See "Gameplay"

Overall: Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best Wii games, and should be in every Wii owners collection.
  23. Jul 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story is probably one of the best for the Mario series, the characters are really cool, the gameplay is absolutely stunning, and the graphics are out of this world. The game is really long, especially if you try t grab every green star in order to play as luigi. People always compare 3D Mario games to Mario 64, but this is where games are really compared. Expand
  24. Aug 7, 2011
    This is easily the best platformer I have ever played. It feels like it raises the bar to a level that I would never need another platformer again. In all fairness, I am not a big fan of platform games so I don't spend a lot of time with the genre, but this is just one of those quality games that goes above and beyond traditional expectations of a particular genre. The only real problem I have with it is the label. Do we really need another Super Mario? Please Nintendo, call it anything you want and make the main character look like anyone else but please move on from Mario/Zelda/Metroid. These same game mechanics could easily be used with a new IP to freshen things up a bit. It's getting to the point where I can't bare to look at another one of these three brands unless it comes with a 90+ consensus review score to help me see past the same increasingly irritating main character. Expand
  25. Jan 31, 2012
    This entire game can be summarized in three words: a true masterpiece. I enjoyed it's sequel a lot, but the plumber's first galaxy adventure is arguably even better. Gorgeous graphics and a sweeping, beautiful orchestral score heighten the sheer greatness. Sure, the story is ok (you know, Bowser kidnaps Peach; but this time, he wants to rule the universe), but no one really plays a Mario platformer for the story; they play it for nostalgia and creative, original gameplay. Not only is Super Mario Galaxy one of the best Wii games (up there with Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Paper Mario), it's also one of the greatest games ever to grace the video game market. Expand
  26. Jun 10, 2011
    Its no Mario 64 opr Super Mario Bros but it is reall fun game, it has pretty good graphics for a wii game , it has some moments that are just ok and it is going around planets in space which is weird, but its mario and it is lots of fun
  27. Jun 21, 2011
    Mario is back and with a story unlike any other Mario before. Super Mario Galaxy is exciting the second you start playing until the second you beat it. My only problems with Galaxy were predominately camera angles, length (to short), and repetitive level formats. Galaxy is still however an amazing game I would always recommend to someone. I personally loved the observatory and Rosaline's storybook. Expand
  28. RJV
    Oct 8, 2011
    As far as the Wii goes, this is the second best game there is, the best being Galaxy 2, and it deserves that place. You can see the classic Mario in it, and there are loads of new stuff. The controls are pretty much perfect, and the only problems i have are accidentally activating the spin attack by shaking the Wii remote, and the Red-Star flying power-up has awful handling. After you beat the main story, which is easy, but if you quit a Mario-game after just completing the main story you're doing wrong, there is a lot of game-play afterwards. There some small flaws of course, but they are all fixed in galaxy 2, the best game ever. Expand
  29. Sep 4, 2011
    I gotta admit, some of these levels are easy, but that flaw is backed up with an amazing soundtrack, almost perfect graphics, and unique game play. The levels are highly unique, something that most games lack.
  30. Jan 26, 2012
    Mario rules the gaming world and this is a reminder of it. Ignore what trolls say this game is amazing and not buying it would be a crime for any true gamer.

It's rare to play through a perfect game or one that nears perfection, but Galaxy definitely fits that mold.
  2. Nintendo has crafted a platform game that, while not as technologically pioneering as its grandfather, is, level for level, more fun to play than "Mario 64." [Dec 2007, p.128]
    Galaxy proves that Mario matters just as much today as he did 25 years ago, and that makes him one of a kind in this medium. But don't play Galaxy simply because Mario is the timeless godfather of gaming. No, play Galaxy because it's fantastic.