8.9

1. Jul 15, 2012
    Super Mario Galaxy is quite simply, one of my favorite video games of all time. My expectations for this game were skyward, in fact, I sold my Gamecube to buy a Wii because I knew I couldn't just miss Mario's next adventure. So its easy to imagine the grateful feelings of excitement when the game shipped and I played it for the first time. It is so rare when I game comes and immediately fulfills all the powerful emotions running for it, but Galaxy fulfilled all I wanted for a next generation Mario back in 2007. It controlled beautifully, It looked beautifully, it sounded beautifully, everything, for a fact, was simply beautiful. But hexed of all the fanaticism that could have possibly propelled my enjoyment throughout my first play-through, the real meat for it to be so impossibly good, and the reason I consider it one of the best games of all time is its masterful creativeness. Galaxy´s levels are some of the most creative work Nintendo has ever done, and coming from a company which´s actual milestone is precisely that, "inventiveness", calling Galaxy a highlight is some serious praise. Galaxy squished all the ingredients that makes Mario games such memorable experiences, while at the same time being new and innovative with its whole gravitational effects. It was the best marriage of old and new, one that only exhibits a sense of perfection. Its only flaw may be that for its short story the game is merely easy, but those who tend to complete this mastery of game design will find plenty of challenge, and a highly entertaining game as well. This is a Nintendo masterpiece. Expand
  2. Jan 4, 2011

Metroid Prime (Trilogy)
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Resident Evil 4
    Tetris DS
    Words with Friends (Scrabble)
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Mike Tysonâ
  3. Sep 16, 2010
    I remember getting my pre-order copy of this game. I was so excited to play it and it was definitely worth 50 dollars. the game is super mario 64 in space, although it was a bit short. One of the greatest experiences i've had in my life.
  4. Nov 8, 2012
    Perfection. If there was a bible on game design this game should be on the cover. Perfect controls that make a good use of the unique features of the wii remote.
    Perfect level design that never felt like backtracking and was always compelling and challenging but without being frustrating nor extremely easy.
    Perfect art design and the best graphics on the system.
    Perfect music,
    orchestrated classic melodies from other Mario games.

Best game of a generation.
  5. Nov 13, 2011
    It was hard to find reasons not to give Galaxy a 10, it's fun, inventive, pretty but unfortunately the level design can be incredibly frustrating. but that should not hold you back from purchasing this magnificent title.
  6. Jun 5, 2011
    Amazing, that word poorly describes how wonderful this game really are. I start to play just now, 3 years past the launch and the game still is very fresh and not became old.
    I can't speak anymore. I gonna play!
  7. Oct 19, 2010
  8. Oct 18, 2010
    This game is probably one of the best single player Wii games on the market. I have not tried SMG2 yet, but despite the useless secrets of the game, this game has perfect difficulty, amazing level design truly more innovative compared to generic maps like Halo (seriously), and it has a consistent storyline even if it requires saving Princess Peach over and over again from previous (and future) games. This game proves that you do not need HQ graphics or complex gameplay to really have a good time. Expand
  9. Apr 26, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = One of the greatest platformers of all-time!!
  10. Oct 8, 2013
    The greatest Nintendo character of all time gets the best game series ever created in the form of Super Mario Galaxy.

These games are so well crafted and fun that it might be the closest thing to a 'perfect rating' a game could ever get. Everything from the fantastic level design, worlds, characters and beautiful graphics to the breathtaking scope and Bosses makes this one of the very
    best games of all time! It well deserves the attention it gets and as always, I can't wait for Nintendo's next instalment in the Mario franchise. Expand
  11. Nov 20, 2010
    This is brilliant. Fact. There is just so much to cherish, it's just an amazing game. The level design itself is in-genius, Miyamoto and his team have really stretched their imaginations with this game. There is just some amazing levels on offer which I think needs to be played. The orchestral music works like a dream, Kondo and his fellow composers must be credited, the tracks are just stunning, and really set the atmosphere really well, you've just got to love "Gusty Garden Galaxy" tune. Brilliant track. And that's not all, there are many other fine tunes. I must admit, for a Wii game, it's looks fabulous. Most games on the Wii don't show the graphical power like this. The only flaws are it's too short, easy and a hollow storyline. Still, that doesn't really affect it. Get it. Expand
  12. Nov 15, 2010
    Kids, this is really one of the bestest games. Lots of fun here! The games starts with a beautiful cut-scene with no voice acting and SPACESHIPS. Big improvement from that sunshine game amirite? The graphics are also great with lots of variety: space, space, and moar! Music is the good. Level design is the greatest. It like Mario 64 on a LINEAR PATH! GENIUS! Its also very hard. Sometimes, its so hard that I could swear it wasn't my fault that I went into that black hole (NOT BOTTOMLESS PITS). Gravity iz also a fun. Theres only so many uses of it and this game haz the MAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Control and camera are OUT OF TEH WORLDS. So much it's almost like I'm not even controlling Moreo at all! Control haz the everything. Momentum based long-jumps from 64, SUPER spin detection, complete camera control, AND YOU HAZ DAT JUMP!

There is nothing wrong with this game at all. Great gameplay, great instruction booklet.
  13. Mar 23, 2013
    Wholly original and infinetly fun. Perhaps one of the best games ever. I think I'm gonna buy it again. It controls like the best of all marios yet it's platforming is ultra complicated technically. But it controls so well that it all seems so simple.
  14. Dec 1, 2010
    This is not as good galaxy 2 but it's still so awesome! I love this but I can see why people don't like this because of the gavity gimics but I like it. I can't wait for the next generation consols and mario game!
  15. Dec 13, 2010
    This very well could be the bet game on the Wii. It has amazing graphics, music, gameplay, control, and design. The ideas are very original and is a blast to play, albeit a little too easy to beat the main story. However, there is plenty to do afterwards. This game will have you coming back for more and more. PLAY IT.Amazing graphics, fun for the whole family, but more towards the kids.TOO SHORT TOO EASY! Everything else is GREAT about this game. I saved princess but i have still 1000 stars to collect." Hope next mario comes soon cos sunshine was so good and whit sunshine mixed whit galaxy it would be the game of the year or bigger! AMAZING Expand
  16. Dec 15, 2010
    What the **** is wrong with people giving a masterpiece below 8?!Are they retarded?!This game is just the best game ever!!(some people disagree because they are Zelda fanboys and didn't play this masterpiece).The gameplay uses traditional 3D epicness!Is just SM64 in space!And it fits like bread with butter!The graphics are flashy and colorful(just like most Mario games).Some classic Mario tunes are back and the music is just great.This game is not great!THIS GAME IS MASTERFUL!A PERFECT 10! Expand
  17. Jun 30, 2011
    Super Mario Galaxy, released way back in 2007 to much critical acclaim. As I will detail, this is a must-by for any Wii owner. Plot As is the case with most Mario games, the story element isn't heavily emphasized, but it is much more present in Galaxy. The game begins with Mario being invited by Princess Peach to the castle to celebrate the once-a-century Star Festival. Upon arrival, you are presented with a scene of joy: Star Bits raining down from the sky, which are then happily picked up by Toads. As you near the castle, the illusion of happiness is shattered as Bowser shows up once again and warps Peach and her castle into orbit. Mario attempts to rescue her, but is foiled by one of Bowser's Magikoopa henchman. Mario later awakens on a small planetoid, on which he meets Rosalina, who then bestows upon Mario the "Spin" ability. She then tells Mario that Bowser has stolen the Power Stars that power her Comet Observatory, rendering it immobile. With his new found power, Mario sets off to restore the Observatory's power and rescue the Princess!

Gameplay and Controls

The gameplay and controls for Mario games generally do not vary much, so you know what to expect. However, there are a few new additions to both though. Controls:
    [center]
    A-Jump
    Z-Crouch
    Control Pad-Camera
    B-Shoot a Star Bit
    Shake Wii Remote/Nunchuk-Spin attack
    C-reset camera position
    Pointer-Gather Star Bits, activate Pull Stars, etc.

Some of the newer elements unique to Galaxy include Mario's new Spin ability, which is essentially his melee attack. Its other uses include extending the distance of his jump and activating Launch Stars, among other things. The next new feature is quite interesting; unlike in past Mario games, falling off of the edge of the level doesn't always spell the end for our plumber. Many planets have their own gravitational pull, allowing you to circumnavigate their entire body. This allows for many new and interesting gameplay scenarios which definitely add to the game's appeal. As you would have expected, Galaxy introduces several new power-ups, each bringing its own new additions to the classic Super Mario gameplay. You will find no slouching in this well crafted department.

Graphics and Sound

These are always a great highlight of Mario titles. Their ability to push the limits of their system's and present us with both a graphical and musical feast. Galaxy's graphics are among the best of the Wii, showcasing many brilliant landscapes, textures and particle effects. Never once are you disappointed by an area that could have been improved. In compliment to this, the soundtrack is also incredible. There are many great orchestrated pieces, as well as the return of many enhanced retro themes, such as an iconic piece from Super Mario Bros. 3. The music is a joy to listen to and makes an already great game even better. I found the Toy Time Galaxy theme to be particularly memorable.

As you can see, Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best games on the Nintendo Wii, nay, ever. Its additions to the classic Mario formula, and that which remains as before, make this a truly special and nearly perfect game. Upon buying this masterpiece, you shall not be disappointed.
  18. Nov 10, 2011
    tl;dr: This game has excellent graphics, gameplay, and music. One of the best for the wii. ____________________________Borg's Super Mario Galaxy Review__________________________ So here it is, Super Mario Galaxy. Metacritic's 2007 game of the year. Does it hold a candle to it's reception? Let's see. ________________________________________________________________________________ Graphics: Super Mario Galaxy, despite being on the graphically weakest console of this generation, couldn't be aesthetically improved much. The models are extremely smooth, and the textures don't stretch too often. The water, sheen, lighting, among other graphical elements, all look very well done, making Mario Galaxy one of the best (if not the best) looking games on the Wii.
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Sound: The soundtrack for Mario Galaxy is orchestrated, and every single level is brought to life by the epic, fitting music. It synergizes perfectly with the graphics and gameplay elements taking place on the screen. Certainly one of Koji Kondo's best works.
    Gameplay: Here's where we get down to the most important element; the gameplay. Super Mario Galaxy's gameplay is nothing less than perfect. You're not bombarded with a slew of glitches ( if there any glitches at all) and the difficulty level is very well perfect, also. Let me explain.. There are several ways of beating the game. You can simply get the minimum 60 stars and beat bowser. There are 120 different missions in the game, so you have alot of variety. But for the hardcore gamers, one can complete all 120 missions, unlock "Super Luigi Galaxy", get all 121 stars in that mode, and then get the last star from the special mission in mario's mode. So much for hardcore gamers to do, and enough for casuals.
    Replayability: See "Gameplay"

Overall: Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best Wii games, and should be in every Wii owners collection.
  19. Apr 5, 2011
    10.Sin duda, un muy buen juego. No defrauda técnicamente, la banda sonora es genial, tiene un control preciso y ajustado y una dificultad muy bien nivelada. Además es largo, te asegura unas 40 horas de juego completártelo. 242 estrellas difíciles pero posibles.
  20. Jul 10, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story is probably one of the best for the Mario series, the characters are really cool, the gameplay is absolutely stunning, and the graphics are out of this world. The game is really long, especially if you try t grab every green star in order to play as luigi. People always compare 3D Mario games to Mario 64, but this is where games are really compared. Expand
  21. Jan 31, 2012
    This entire game can be summarized in three words: a true masterpiece. I enjoyed it's sequel a lot, but the plumber's first galaxy adventure is arguably even better. Gorgeous graphics and a sweeping, beautiful orchestral score heighten the sheer greatness. Sure, the story is ok (you know, Bowser kidnaps Peach; but this time, he wants to rule the universe), but no one really plays a Mario platformer for the story; they play it for nostalgia and creative, original gameplay. Not only is Super Mario Galaxy one of the best Wii games (up there with Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Paper Mario), it's also one of the greatest games ever to grace the video game market. Expand
  22. May 26, 2011
    Super Mario Galaxy is most definitely the best game on Wii. It's one of the very few games which I can respect as a medium and even a piece of art, albeit as a video game.

The levels each have their own fun twist, and the graphics are lush. The soundtrack is truly awe-inspiring, with grand orchestra melodies to electro-bops.

Although some levels are fairly straight-forward, most give a
    sense of achievement for completing them.

Galaxy is certainly "King of the Platformers", and this game serves greatly for long-time Mario fans. Pick this up along with Super Mario Galaxy 2 for some of the most fantastic games ever created.
  23. RJV
    Oct 8, 2011
    As far as the Wii goes, this is the second best game there is, the best being Galaxy 2, and it deserves that place. You can see the classic Mario in it, and there are loads of new stuff. The controls are pretty much perfect, and the only problems i have are accidentally activating the spin attack by shaking the Wii remote, and the Red-Star flying power-up has awful handling. After you beat the main story, which is easy, but if you quit a Mario-game after just completing the main story you're doing wrong, there is a lot of game-play afterwards. There some small flaws of course, but they are all fixed in galaxy 2, the best game ever. Expand
  24. Oct 18, 2011
    this is better than thwe sequel in every way, and same graphics and stuff, and my fav space themed game...

yeah... kay that was a dumb thing toi say...

98%
  25. Nov 24, 2011
    I can't really fault this game. It is seriously good. Mario was always a series that I enjoyed as a kid, but I never really got into properly. Until Galaxy. It is one of the best looking games out there (yes, that does include ALL consoles) and is a joy to play from start to finish. Yes it is more linear than Mario 64, but I think it's a better game because of it. The motion controls work well when used, it's reasonably easy, but not to say, Kirby levels it probably won't really challenge those who have played older Mario games (those are tough as nails). Anybody who has any sense will enjoy this game. Mario has increased in quality, which is something very special as I have not played a Mario game which does not deserve a score less than a nine out of ten. If you don't have it, buy it!!! Expand
  26. Nov 8, 2011
    This game looks great. There are some pretty good reflection effects in the water and the crystals, all the old characters and enemies are more detailed than ever before and the new ones fit in.
    The camera system doesn't give you much control over which direction it's facing and at times takes it away completely, but the game usually does a very good job with the camera. However, there
    were two times when the camera spontaneously decided that it would be a great help to me to have a wall blocking out my sight of Mario, nearly causing me to fall down into a black hole.
    The soundtrack mostly consists of original compositions, although there are a few remixes of older Mario tunes, namely the original Super Mario Bros. theme and the Super Mario Bros. 3 theme, both of which I prefer to the originals.
    There are some tracks which would seem out of place in any other Mario game but feel right at home in Galaxy. Some tracks are dynamic, as in, they change depending on what you're doing. For example, one track plays with different instruments when you're underwater.
    The game has the same basic story as all the previous Mario games: Bowser kidnaps Peach and Mario has to go and rescue her. The biggest differences are the setting (space), Rosalina and that we get to know Bowser's motives.
    There's also a bit of back story about the Star Festival that's being celebrated at the beginning of the game and the much more important Rosalina's storybook, which is the only part of the game with any character development. It's probably the most mature story told by a Mario game in the main franchise (although that doesn't say much).
    The controls are rather simple, although movement takes a little getting used to when you're doing it upside-down.The biggest change is the integration of motion controls into the game, which it does rather unobtrusively. You shake the Wii Remote to do a spin attack, you point at the screen to grab star bits or grab a pull star and you press B while pointing at the screen to throw the star bits, and that's the full extent of the motion controls while playing the main game.
    There are also some galaxies with different controls that only use the motion controls to perform actions such as manta surfing, ball rolling and moving bubbles by blowing air at them. The motion controls are implemented well into these actions. The only one I have a problem with is the manta surfing one, where you control the manta by twisting the Wii Remote left and right, and if you do it too fast, the game interprets it as a shake, which is a jump when you're manta surfing. This can lead to deaths that could have been easily avoided by having more traditional controls in these segments.
    The ball rolling segments are much less obtrusive, and the only problem I have with it is that it's hard to stop, which you do by holding the Wii Remote upright, but this is a pretty minor complaint. It would have been improved by being controlled with the analog stick, but it's better than the manta surfing stages, since the game only uses the motion controls for rolling the ball, so you won't be making any accidental jumps.
    The bubble stages are definitely the best of the three. Mario is trapped inside a bubble which you can move by blowing air at it, an action which involves pointing at the screen and pressing A to blow air at it from the on-screen cursor. I never once felt that these segments would have been better by using the analog sicks, and they might even be better with the motion controls.
    Thanks to the addition of planetoids and gravity, Super Mario Galaxy features some of the most creative level design in years. There is an entire planetoid shaped like a question mark, one shaped like an 8-bit Mario and one shaped like Yoshi's head.
    Just like previous Mario games, whenever you get a star, you get taken back to the hub world. However, unlike previous Mario games, when you go back to the same galaxy to get the next star, the world is significantly changed (although there are a few exceptions), which makes it feel like there's a real reason to have to go back.The boss battles are usually like a sort of final exam on some skill you learned, usually earlier within the same galaxy. This time around there are less bosses that are just bigger versions of smaller enemies, and there are small changes in their behaviour after hitting them enough times to make the fight slightly harder, such as bringing smaller enemies to help them out.
  27. Nov 16, 2011
    Excellent in every department for me, with great graphics, great sound, and great levels. Add to those things with good controls and that Nintendo magic and creativity, and you have this masterpiece.
  28. Jan 26, 2012
    Mario rules the gaming world and this is a reminder of it. Ignore what trolls say this game is amazing and not buying it would be a crime for any true gamer.
  29. Jun 10, 2012
    The controls became second nature and added extra effect to the game. Any body that didn't give this game 100/100/10/10 probably didn't beat the entire game. When I saw i could replay the game with Luigi I thought it would be stupid and pointless. That was not the case. It was a far different experience from Mario which made playing thru the game a second time just as fun as the first. The last bonus level was a good reward too. The only thing bad that comes from this game is I will probably never find a game that can offer as much thrill as this one. Expand
  30. Nov 24, 2011
    Mario galaxy was the only reason i bought a wii, so if you are a wii owner, you shouldn't , miss it. From the music, the level design, the gravity, etc, etc, this game is a MASTERPIECE.
  31. Nov 27, 2011
    This is perfection in gaming, delivered as only Nintendo know how. Music, graphics, and the ever-changing gameplay make this game very hard to stop playing. There is plenty of fanboy service with characters and old tunes revamped. There is nothing you could do to make this a better game. It is sheer perfection, and thoroughly deserving of my 10 rating. There are complaints that it is too easy, and certain boss fights are WAY too easy, but this does not detract from the game at all. Those complaints are dealt with in SMG2 anyways. Expand
  32. Feb 15, 2013
    One of the best video games of all time! This is how all mario platformers should be! My favorite mario game ever! There's no other game like this! Except the less than steller sequal, lol get it? I know you do
  33. Dec 12, 2011
    Super Mario Galaxy is one of the best games on Wii for a vast variety of reasons. From the bright colourful graphics to the absolutely astounding gameplay, Galaxy took me in its arms and drove me through an epic adventure of hop-and-bop wonder.

The graphics are utterly amazing, pushing the hardware to its limits- we have high polygon models, deep and well defined textures and a bright and
    cheery colour palette. The orchestrated music adds to this deeply atmospheric and space-driven world, with themes to fit every Galaxy you visit.

But the gameplay is where this game truly comes into its own- with a good challenge and plenty of variety in the platforming puzzles you must overcome, I was really amazed. The tight controls lent themselves to the mind-warping gravity-based platforming. In addition, there is a ton of content in this game- with 120 stars spread over 40 or so galaxies, you won't be putting this game down in a hurry!

This game is a joy to play- from the adventurous levels based on exploration to some of the trickiest platforming this side of Shinobi, I can utterly recommend Super Mario Galaxy! Play it now, if you haven't already :)
  34. Dec 25, 2011
    One of the best games on the Wii, beautiful, adventurous and a bright torch for the future of the Super Mario platform series. The control scheme takes some time to feel comfortable with. When you are comfortable, prepare for the gaming experience few games are able to deliver.
  35. Dec 30, 2012
    With it's beautiful graphics, the orchestrated score, the influential gameplay, Super Mario Galaxy captures a sense of magic unseen in the Mario world recently.
  36. Jan 8, 2012
    I cannot understand people who have written a bad review, with a score lower than 8. I love Super Mario old style; there were a lot of Mario's games, for NES, SNES, GB...without forgetting New Super Mario bros Wii...But now, with the power of the Wii, I think they had a wonderful idea. Super Mario Galaxy is almost perfect: the first stars are a little bit easy to take, but then become increasingly difficult; there are beatiful levels and scenary, different types of difficulties,news skills, a lot of stars (several hidden),excellent graphics, and it's a game that take you many many hours,if you want take all stars...it's not A game.........it's THE GAME!!!!!!! Thank you Shigeru Miyamoto and Saturu Iwata (and all Nintendo Team)!! Expand
  37. Jan 26, 2012
    Nintendo always impresses me. Mario Galaxy was the best Mario game i've ever played, it's just really fun. I completed the whole game, and wanted more. I like the graphics, and the planets with yoshi are awesome. I loved playing this game, and deserves a 10. No game is perfect, and this one isn't, but is really really good. If a game was perfect, it would score more than the site maximum, so a 10 is fair. Expand
  38. Feb 7, 2012
    This is easily the best game on the Wii. The graphics are impressive and the environments are varied. The gameplay and music are amazing. The motion controls were responsive and easy. This is a game for everyone.
  39. Mar 9, 2012
    Super Mario Galaxy is THE BEST GAME on the wii. it takes Super Mario Galaxy and does what no one thought it could. it made it even better. it fixes just about every one of the small problems i had with Galaxy 1 and fixes them. plus there are new additions such as a bag full of new power ups and of course Yoshi, the dinosaur that everybody loves. my biggest complaint about Galaxy 1 was that many of the boss fights were the same. Galaxy 2's boss fights are much better, but the final boss is still too short, too easy, and just disappointing over all. the rest of the game is also quite easy except for the perfect run (god dammit that took me forever to beat) and also the number of save files you can create has been reduced from 6 in the original to 3 in this game. not a major problem it just might be an issue if you have a family of gamers. Now i know MANY gamers will skip this game simply because its on the wii. but please, play this game. you won't regret it. and it is well worth the $50. i've been wondering whether to give this game a 9/10 or a perfect 10/10. i was reluctant to give it a perfect score because there were a few microscopic problems existing. but then i realized that a perfect video game doesn't, and never will, exist. every game no matter how amazing will have small bugs. but even if a perfect game doesn't exist, Super Mario Galaxy 2 comes pretty damn close. Expand
  40. Mar 27, 2012
    The game off the bat is spectacular. The beginning is very compelling, and through out the game you get wondoures surprises. The bosses are filled with adreneline and the game is addicting in general. I think this game had a lot of thought into it, and to this day I still play it. One word to explain this game? EPICC!!!!
  41. Jul 16, 2012
    Quite possibly Mario's finest adventure. Extremely creative & brilliant level design, fun new power-ups, fantastic orchestral themes, charming story and plenty of content make this not only one of the best games on Wii, but one of the best game's ever made.
  42. Feb 25, 2014
    I've been a gamer for a large portion of my life. I've played basically every single genre of video game at least once. I've mowed down demons in doom and scored hole in ones in Wii golf. With that as subtext for this review, I believe that I should get out of the way the fact that the original Super Mario Galaxy and it's sequel are tied for my personal favorite game of all time. That's an incredibly forward statement, I know, but there are so few things I can even fathom to nit-pick out of the game that I won't even bother to try. The game-play is spectacular with controls so impossibly refined that Mario constantly feels like an extension of my own body, making even the seemingly impossible levels entirely plausible. Whilst the game starts out reasonably easy, Nintendo's mastery of well constructed difficulty curves begins to shine about a quarter of the way through. Often an after thought in games, the music of Super Mario Galaxy is not only one of it's best aspects, it is (in my opinion) the single greatest soundtrack to be found in a video game. Once again, I understand what that statement means, but seriously, have you heard this stuff? I'm not lying, if you haven't heard this games sound track, you have not lived yet. It's an amazing mix of stirring orchestrations and rhythmic compositions. I could gush over this game for absolutely ages, but unfortunately, I have to go and replay it again because I'm suffering from withdrawal. All I can say is if you haven't played this game, go out to your nearest game retailer, and buy it. If you don't have the system to play it, then go buy one of those to (you can buy a Wii for basically the same price as the game now after all those price drops). Go. Do it now. I'm serious, go. Expand
  43. Jul 29, 2012
    The greatest space adventure video game I ever play.When all the light of the planetarium comes I feel a different feeling of the game;and it changes while I advanced it.A good plot and difficulty of the levels.
  44. Jul 31, 2012
    Super Mario Galaxy is one of the 2 games that in my opinion is absolutely PERFECT. I LOVE THIS GAME!!!
    People say this is a terrible game I disagree. Those guys are call of duty fanboys.
  45. Sep 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In brief, the narrative revolves around Mario collecting Power Stars by flying to various Galaxies from six different domes within the Comet Observatory that act as way points to them. These Stars fuel the Observatory, which Bowser damaged beyond movement speed whilst capturing Princess Peach, who he flew to the center of the universe to start a new galaxy there with her as his bride. Rosalina, the guardian of the universe, along with the Luma, whom she also protects, ask Mario to help them recover the Power Stars and Grand Stars from Bowser's forces, and in return, promise him the Comet Observatory will fly him to the center of the universe to stop Boswer and save the Princess. With help from the Luma, Rosalina, The Toads of the Toad Brigade, other friends, and even Luigi, Mario rushes to collect as many Power Stars as he can, before it's too late.
    I could write an entire review on just the positives, but in the interest of fairness (and time,) I will try to limit my gushing

First off, let me say that for all the Nintendo fans out there, Mario is back, and in a big way. The sheer expanse of the worlds that you play through are so vast that sometimes it can be overwhelming. Yet, with the new storyline, power-ups, and moves to play around with, even old Mario fans will experience something new. The gameplay is either nearly flawless, or just plain is. I might go with the latter. The player controls Mario with the Nunchuck, and uses the Wii Remote to jump and spin, as well as to point at the screen to collect Star Bits. Every level not only has a Power Star at the end, but occasionally will have a bonus Star that activates when a Comet randomly flies over that Galaxy. Be on the eye for Hungry Lumas as well, both in the Observatory, and out in the Galaxy. If you feed them Star Bits, they will help you advance through the game, or transform into a Galaxy themselves, giving Mario another opportunity to collect a Star. In addition to all that, once you rescue Luigi from a Haunted Mansion (haha,) he'll occasionally collect Stars for you from different Galaxies, and gives them to you. That is, once you rescue him from whatever Galaxy he's found the Star. Green Stars are extremely difficult Stars to get, and are very rare. Collecting all three adds to challenging extra game content. Finally, collecting Grand Stars opens up a new dome in the Observatory. I would describe the controls as intuitive, fun, and a good use of the full capabilities of the controller. All of the fresh ways to play keep the game exciting in my opinion. In addition to Mario's old abilities, new ones like being able to spin by shaking the Wii Remote, and firing Star Bits that you find throughout the levels. The new power-ups like Ghost Mario add new content, and new challenge. There are very few problems with the game, but one might be the fact that when you turn off or reset your Wii, you loose all of the extra lives that you earned, however this can be overlooked, considering a Mail Toad gives you 5 free lives every time you start you game again, should you find him in the Comet Observatory. This has been done in other Mario games with little upset. Another minor complaint is the Co-Star mode, or two player mode. While it may be fun for a while to have a friend join you and fire Star Bits at enemies, or maybe stop a hazard from hitting you, it slowly looses its appeal. Then again, it is still entertaining, and in reality, I don't know how they could have fit two characters on the screen at once, or what other character they could have even used. So this point is mostly invalid. The only other complaint I have really is that, while the gravity mechanic in the game is usually very tight, when Mario is in between planets or even two objects with gravitational pull, Mario is sort of pulled back and forth, making him land on neither object. But even still this is nitpicking, and rarely happens at all.

Honestly, what can you say about Super Mario Galaxy that hasn't already been said? The controls are consistently tight, the musical score is superb, the level design and gameplay are better than they are in any other 3D Mario game, and it has an incredible game feel. But beating it once is not enough! Upon full completion of the game (all 120 Power Stars,) the focus shifts to Luigi and the player can go through the whole story again with the green younger brother. He even controls differently for a challenge.
  46. Apr 28, 2013
    The Super Mario Galaxy series is one of the best series there is on video game world.This is the first one and for me the less brilliant one.Compairing to the 2nd title this has less powerups and a little bit less of creativity.But is still one of the funniest games for the WiI excellent visuals, story and sound.this is a game for the new and old fans of the italian plumber cause its innovative and it brings back the greatest Mario we can get 3D. Expand
  47. Nov 19, 2012
    i love this game, no words. It's the kind of the tht i play, and replay. cos it's not only fun and fantastic, it's something different. If you want to spend your money in something different, fun and spectacular, spend it on it.
  48. Dec 23, 2012
    Best Wii game I have played. Better than 2 (because all that did was add Yoshi and new levels), and just fantastic. One of the best games I have ever played in my life, everything about it was fantastic. Graphics, gameplay, story, all great.
  49. May 1, 2013
    Super Mario Galaxy is an amazing game. The graphics are fantastic and there is plenty to do, with over 120 stars to collect it's not a short game by any means. There is the wide variety of worlds. There are water, ice, fire, grassland galaxies, and a lot more and each galaxy is unique. It's a FUN game and it's a break from the usual FPS and action game out their. I've been a gamer for about 30 years now and I'm only discovering the joys of wii at this stage. I would recommend them to any gamer hardcore and casual alike, you won't be dissapointed. I find it very relaxing to play. Expand
  50. Dec 29, 2012
    Super Mario Galaxy é sem sombra de dúvidas um jogo indispensável para os proprietários do Ninendo Wii. Seu visual 3D, combinado com as músicas e toda a arte dos cenários é quem dão o ar da graça deste jogo, mesmo que o jogador tenha alguns problemas com a câmera. Mas não deixa de ser um dos grandes clássicos da série Super Mario. Expand
  51. Jan 26, 2013
    Made the huge mistake of playing this after the sequel--that was unfair to the game. It took me a little while to get into it, but once I got through several levels I was hooked. It is a wonderful game, that really is easy to jump in and out of--a great thing when you can't always dedicate your life to a game. The level design is great, and it has just enough vintage touch to be cool (and not sadly dependent). Overall this is a top 5 game--still prefer the sequel better, but a must play. Expand
  52. Feb 9, 2013
    Quite literally a perfect game that has no flaws, what else can I say? It has amazing controls that don't force wiimote waggle and allow for perfect platforming. The soundtrack is the best in a Mario game, i'll go ahead and say its the best in a Nintendo game. The graphics are pretty much on par with most 360/PS3 games in SD and the galaxies are all magical. One of my Favorite games of all time and definitely the best game on Wii! Expand
  53. Jun 25, 2013
    It's hard to explain why this game is good. Maybe it's the amazing level designs, the pick up and play nature, the phenomenal orchestrated music, or the outstanding charm of the game. These factors all seem to come together, creating one of the greatest games on Wii and one of the greatest games of this generation.

Words alone cannot explain this game. You just have to play it yourself.
  54. May 3, 2013
    I spent heaps of hours playing this game because it is so imaginative and fun. The ship is really cool and there are heaps of stars to collect. You have to help Mario find Rosalina to win the game. What I really liked about it was the items like Bee Mario, a cool Star Mario, a Boo Mario and he has a cool trick where he can turn invisible and go through walls. There are also an Ice Mario and Fire Mario with a 20 second time limit. The Spring Mario that lets you jump really high. This made the game exciting. Expand
  55. Jun 12, 2013
    Where do I start with this?

This game is amazing and really has to be seen to be believed. I was initially sceptical about the whole planets/space theme, but my god does it work.

Each level or "galaxy" is broken down into several islands/floating planet things, with each having their own obstacles to negotiate. The key to this game though, is that generally speaking, you can go
    "under" the level as well across it as you normally would. This is extremely difficult to describe and has to be seen to really understand it. This key feature introduces a whole new dimension to the game, and gives it staggering potential for level design. It is very weird at first with the controls and camera leaving you unsure initially, but it doesn't take long at all to get used to them.

The other thing about this game that really stands out is it's visuals. This game is absolutely gorgeous, and I was playing it without the HD component cable! As is typical of a mario game, the colours are so rich and everything looks perfectly designed. The music as well, is typical mario, and effortlessly combines the feel of 16-bit gaming with grandiose, scene-perfect music.

Finally, the controls are extremely intuitive and are pretty much the same as Mario 64 & Sunshine. This helps, as the game is different enough as it is with all the gravity/camera shifting to deal with.

Another plus point, is that the controls aren't over "Wii'd". What I mean by this is that on Super Monkey Ball, everything is controlled "Wii-style". For instance, to scroll through the menus you need to tilt the remote left and right. JUST SET IT UP TO USE THE D-PAD! Not everything needs to be incorporated into the remote! Thankfully, Mario Galaxy keeps things simple and uses these useful features where appropriate, rather than for everything. Like Resident Evil 4, the nunchuk and remote combo works effortlessly without over-complicating anything.

Bottom line is, why are you reading this? Go out there and buy this now!
  56. Jul 2, 2013
    Sorry how I posted a half finished review. I meant to click check spelling because I misspelled exalted. But I wasn't paying attention and clicked submit. So let's pick up where I left off. .

is and how complex is her backstory. You can actually read exactly what happened to her once you access the library in the hub. And also, the game is a technical masterpiece for not only its
    stellar animation, but for its super catchy tunes, notably the Gusty Garden Galaxy. And replay value is very strong in this title. You'll find yourself doing things as crazy and exciting as finding different colored stars to doing things as simple and fun as collecting coins and reading mail from Princess Peach. So that's all my good stuff with the title. Now let's get the bad over with: you'll be pleased to know there's hardly anything that's bad.

The Bad:

Well, there's 2 nit-picks that I have with the title: One is that I wish there was bonus content within the levels.(Stuff besides stars, star BITS, coins 1-ups, etc. Not that it won't keep you occupied)And two is that the hub world is pretty empty besides a few toads and lumas. But hey, hub worlds aren't the main focus of the game. My ideas aside, Super Mario Galaxy still rocks.

The Ugly:

None! :D

So overall, I really love this one. There is no such thing as a perfect game (I just stated my flaws)and that's understandable, but for what it is, came pretty close. My original score is 9.6/10, but since this STUPID thing doesn't have midpoints, I'll be nice and give it a perfect 10.
  57. May 18, 2013
    One of the best games of all time. The soundtrack is amazing, the graphics are impressive, the fun is big, originality is huge and the controls are perfect.
  58. Jun 12, 2013
    Best game ever made!!!! Incredible level design, awesome music, and amazing power ups all enhance the fantastic gameplay! Super Mario Galaxy is the best game I have ever played and I dont think anything will ever top it!
  59. Jun 29, 2013
    Mario games are truly one of a kind. With amazing atmosphere and a very fun platforming game play, like all the other Mario games, Mario galaxy has done it again.
  60. Jun 14, 2013
    What is there to say this game is downright awesome, to me this is the best Mario game at its time and its literally perfect. What is there to say, very beautiful graphics and visuals for a Wii game (show's developers are just being lazy and trying not to make this system look good) and it is probably a game that is perfect for anyone, heck maybe even a 4 year old can beat this game. Oh and those who say this game is for really REALLY young kids guess what i'm 13 and i would still play it. People tend to say omg this graphics suck, what do you expect final fantasy graphics, give it a break, if the games graphics were to good people would be complaining that the graphics does not fit Mario. so as a result this game is indeed not for everyone, and it is really not for people that always care about the graphics. Expand
  61. Jul 18, 2013
    Since Super Mario 64 we didnĀ“t associate Mario to a perfect game until this game came out. Brilliant technically, really funny, new, fresh, and long. It will take you several months to get the 242 stars that the game has. Difficulty is high but reasonable, and every level surprise you in a different way.
  62. Dec 13, 2013
    Super Mario Galaxy is the third 3D Super Mario video game, after Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine, and the first main series Mario video game to be released for the Nintendo Wii.
    The story of the game starts with the star festival that happens every one hundred years where the mushroom kingdom celebrates the arrival of the comet. Princess Peach writes a letter to Mario to invite
    him to the festival. As Mario reaches the castle, Bowser attacks the town and uproots the earth around the castle and lifts it into space, Mario on the mound of earth with the castle gets shot down by Kamek and lands on a planet. There, he meets a few Lumas who lead him to Rosalina and she tells him that Bowser has taken the Princess to the centre of the universe and must retrieve Power Stars to reach there, she also entrusts a Luma simply named 'Luma' into his care.
    The primary gameplay of Super Mario Galaxy is similar to that of the previous three dimensional Mario games. Mario can perform various jumps like the backflip and the long jump, the new gameplay mechanic is that because 'Luma' joins Mario, there is the new spin attack move where you can stun enemies, destroy objects and use it to gain additional height and reach higher places. The main hub of the game is the Comet Observatory where you can enter different domes to access different galaxies. Each galaxy has various missions and the goal is to get the power star at the end just like Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine The more Power stars you collect, the more galaxies you have access to. However, unlike those games your health capacity is only three instead of eight, you can collect coins to regain health when damaged and also star bits which you can shoot at enemies to stun them.
    The level designs of Super Mario Galaxy are interesting ad has a great colour palette. The graphics of the game are also unique as they are spherical planets instead of just flat land and it really plays around with gravity. The soundtrack is also well orchestrated and is very beautiful. The game is very challenging as I had lost many lives because of hazards or tough bosses, this is great for those who are looking for a difficult video game. The controls are responsive as using the 'spin' ability is activated by shaking the Wii remote and it works well. In addition, the game has a cooperative multiplayer mode where the second player is in control of a pointer which can help Mario by stopping enemies and certain hazards, collect and shoot star bits and also help Mario make higher jumps, I fid it useful as it can help to get through the levels easier considering they can be tough. My only nit-pick with the game is that the levels in Super Mario Galaxy are smaller than in its predecessors.
    Super Mario Galaxy is truly a masterpiece of the seventh generation of home consoles. With brilliant level designs, graphics, gameplay and a wonderfully made soundtrack, this game is a must-have for the Nintendo Wii owners and if you do not have one, this is one the reasons why you should get one. I give this game a 10/10.
  63. Aug 29, 2013
    This game is the grand masterpiece! Beautiful music and levels. Fantastic new Mario character: Princess Rosalina! This is the best game of all time besides Ocarina of Time! I wish, I'll be in one of these levels, because it's like dreaming... And chilling by these beautiful musics. It also features a emotional story about Rosalina's past. Finally a Mario game with story! It's Perry Rhodan in Mario style! Expand
  64. Jul 30, 2013
    This game is one of the best I've ever played. It may be the best game for the Wii, besides the sequel. The story is pretty good, even though it isn't very deep. It's a little confusing as well. The gameplay is great. Mario's jumps, spins, flips, superjumps, and acrobatics are all there. The powerups are fun to use, and the level design is great. I love how each level is a Galaxy, and there are plenty of them. It has some of the best graphics on the Wii, some of the best music in a videogame ever. Although it's fairly easy, playing a children's game has never been more enjoyable. Expand
  65. Aug 4, 2013
    If you own a Wii and haven't played this, GO AND GET IT NOW, IT IS THAT GOOD.

Simply put, a masterpiece.

Music is amazing, graphics and controls as well.

Every level feels unique and intriguing. It sucks you in.

10 out of 10.
  66. Aug 16, 2013
    Super Mario Galaxy is one of the greatest Mario games period. It does everything that a Mario game should do, but does it tremendously. The platforming is challenging but still accessible to new comers and the level design oozes with creativity. One second you could be surfing with penguins and the next you are fighting against a giant robot. The motion controls are used just as much as they should be. They are primarily used for firing star bits and doing spins. The game is huge with 120 stars to collect and a second game where you play as Luigi. No level feels poorly designed and considering how many levels there are, that is saying a lot. The story is your standard Peach get captured adventure. However, what makes this story different is the character of Rosalina who has a very interesting backstory. The graphics look very polished and the soundtrack is incredible. However, what makes this game great is one thing, the fun factor. When it comes down to it, what makes a game is the gameplay and how much fun it's and Galaxy delivers in spades. If you haven't played this game yes, there is no excuse. It is one of the highest rated games of all time for a reason. Expand
  67. Aug 29, 2013
    The game is incredible with tons of levels, great gameplay, solid controls, surprisingly responsive motion controls, great bosses, average characters, a Luigi mode, and great new power ups this game is really the definitive game on the Wii (excluding cross over games).
  68. Nov 2, 2013
    let me start this off by saying that super mario galaxy is one of the best games of all time, it just might be the best game of all time and it is without a doubt the best mario game ever. now the story is basic, bowser wants peach so he takes here into space. and the gameplay, it's amazing, you control mario on an incredible adventure through space and you'll go through all kinds of galaxies that are very different from each other, the galaxies are the levels of this game. and the objective of the game is like super mario sunshine, find the shine sprite, however in this game you're finding power stars which are like shine sprites. when you start the game you are greeted with one of the best cutscenes in any video game ever. then you go on an adventure that mario and you will never forget. there are over 40 galaxies to explore in this game, and they are so great, one of my favorite galaxies is the honeyhive galaxy, this galaxy has you trying to protect the bees from their enemies the manabugs, and another galaxy called the ghostly galaxy is like luigi's mansion all over again, only this time you play as mario and you have to find luigi in a haunted mansion. and probably my all time favorite galaxy the one made out of toys, you also platform on a gaint 8-bit mario, that is probably to this day the best level in any super mario game to this day. the controls are also great and you use the wii remote to point at the screen and collect star bits, star bits are to super mario galaxy, what blue coins are super mario sunshine, if you collect enough of them you can unlock extra levels. and the music in this game is BEAUTIFUL. the orchestra that played this music is great, yes i said that an orchestra played music for a super mario game. this is one of the best games i have ever played, the best game on the wii, the best game of 2007, and the best mario game. this game is a masterpeice and i HIGHLY recomend this to anyone. this game gets a 10 out of 10 score perfect not one thing is wrong with this game. Expand
  69. Sep 17, 2013
    A masterpiece in platforming. Sure, the story is definitely nothing novel worthy, but the graphics are masterful. Everything looks amazing. The controls are flawless, the replay value is high, and the camera is almost always in the right position. Probably one of the best parts of the game is its soundtrack. It is truly wonderful to listen to. Buy the soundtrack if you can. The difficulty is very consistent except for maybe a couple boss fights and some of the purple coin levels. If you own a Wii or Wii U, get to GameStop, BuyBacks, Amazon, or any retailer that sells this game. It is worth every single penny. Expand
  70. Oct 19, 2013
    Esse jogo e muito bom,por causa de sua dificudade,historia,etc... mas tem uns que dizem que e ruim esse jogo maravilhoso jogo de wii.
  71. Jan 22, 2014
    A true masterpiece. I have played this game so much when i was younger... My childhood favorite! The mechanics, gameplay, all executed perfectly. I love this game!
  72. Dec 3, 2013
    Pure perfection. That's all there is to be said. The power ups are amazing and really enhance the gameplay, and each level brings on something new, creative, and challenging. Super Mario Galaxy is a must have for anyone who has a wii, or anyone who appreciates video games, for that matter.
  73. Dec 22, 2013
    I'm just going to start off by saying, this game is freaking amazing. The only people that have any reason not to like it are people who think anything without perfect graphics is bad. And even though the graphics aren't that great, if Nintendo gave it super amazing graphics, would it even feel like a mario game? No, no it wouldn't! And even though the graphics aren't insane, they still look friggin pretty. And if you hate on it because your too "hardcore" for mario or it's too "easy", then you are allergic to fun. Isn't that what games set out to do? Give you a fun game to play? Hell, I almost cried with joy when I first beat the game! And that's one of the beauty of the game itself. Does it have replay value? No, not really. But if you want to complete the full game, it'll take you a pretty long while anyway. What I'm trying to say, is if you have a Wii, then you're probably not going to get much more hardcore than this anyway. But, if it just happens that you have a Wii, then this is an absloute MUST HAVE. And I can't tell you how amazing the music is, either. It fits every location perfectly. I don't know what those developers were smoking, but whatever it is, I want some. Some people say that it gets a little too heavy at times (specifically boss fights), but here's two reasons or rather, objections to that. If it's too loud or whatever, there's probably a volume switch on your TV. Also, most of the time, I at least, am too immersed in the game to even notice the music. But if it wasn't there, then it would be empty and silent. The level design is fantastic, the music is pheonamonal, and the gameplay is near perfect. I'm just here to say, I REALLY FRICKING LOVE THIS GAME. If you have a Wii, about 20 bucks, and a craving for fun, then this is a MUST HAVE. Expand
  74. Jan 4, 2014
    One of the best games ever made. This game takes everything Super Mario 64 had, and made this 10 times better. Probably the only game that outdoes it last gen was galaxy 2.
  75. Jan 2, 2014
    Probably one of the most imaginative and well designed games I have ever played, seemingly designed for children, but more than just a little fitting for anyone more mature. This game offers fantastic platforming segments, as well as interesting level design and a touching story on the side.

The main story is, of course, rather more of the same; princess gets kidnapped, Mario goes to
    rescue her. But what sets this game apart from the others lies in the game mechanics; it sees you jumping from planet to planet, gathering star bits (seemingly the currency in the game) and navigating elaborate obstacles and challenges. This game is more than just jumping and dodging; some involve clever tactics, others require you to search the environment for clues.

This game is also far from small; you must gather around 200 stars to fully accomplish the game, and not all of those will come easy to you, as is obvious in Mario galaxy's almost punishing bonus challenges, which appear in the form of "prankster comets". These offer special challenges to levels you have previously completed, such as only being able to take one hit of damage, or racing against time. Difficult, but certainly a welcome challenge.

Overall, fantastic, very nearly flawless game. It is well deserving of a perfect score, and of all the great scores it seems to have attained from official critics. Nintendo does it again.
  76. Jan 9, 2014
    What can i say about the game that has not already been said? This game is a masterpiece in gaming and a landmark in modern gaming. Everything about Galaxy is perfect, just absolutely everything. I don't have a single complaint about this game. Get this is game if you don't have it.
  77. Jan 9, 2014
    Amazing graphics, music, gameplay, control, and design.
  78. PMG
    Jan 31, 2014
    This game is easy, but to me it still is the best WII game. With so many big and interesting levels, bosses like King fin, Boulder geist and Bowser, the sweet power ups, Rosalina and the comet observatory all help to make this my favorite Mario game ever.
  79. Feb 3, 2014
    Hands down the best game Nintendo have ever created. This game is the pinnacle of their creative brilliance and every minute was entertaining, unique and a pleasure to play. It has the appeal of the other 3D Mario games but excels in it's own ideas which are not present in many Nintendo games today. It's amazing, if you haven't played it please do.
  80. Feb 9, 2014
    Great Game! It was my first Wii game that I played, I absolutely love it, it's a ton of fun! I think everyone should buy it! really good graphics! really good storyline for a Mario game ( not bashing Mario story writers)
  81. Feb 14, 2014
    Favorite game of all time finished it 13 times and still can't get enough also it is a huge leap for Nintendo now all we need is super mario galaxy 3 to save the wii u
  82. Feb 27, 2014
    The best wii game ever released. pitch perfect platforming and stunning graphics and art design for a wii game nintendo has set a high bar for itself with this gem.
  83. Mar 8, 2014
    The greatest game of all time is what people, and it's easy to see why. With a never-thought of-gameplay, beautiful visuals that makes HD games look bland, and Bowser at his cruelest, this is game is a must have for any generations.
  84. Feb 27, 2014
    My all time favorite. I remember my joy of when I got my Wii on Christmas day 2007, and then just a few hours later when the rest of my family came over I unwrapped this masterpiece. It became my entire childhood and to this day I have never played a game that had come any where close to matching it. It was probably one of the saddest days of my life when stupid me broke the disc, I was traumatized for days.

This game proved with its graphics that 480p can be gorgeous and that HD doesn't matter. Its incredible controls cannot be matched by any other. The music puts you to tears every time and unlike most titles, the soundtrack is worth buying. This game here is what made me a gamer.

This game here showed me the beautiful light of Nintendo. And I will treasure this game for the rest of my life. Just a few months ago I got a new copy of the game and pulled all nighters playing it and felt emotions I will probably never feel again. I will never get over my feelings for this masterpiece that we have all experienced.
  85. Apr 11, 2014
    Super Mario Galaxy is without a doubt one of the greatest Mario games ever made. First off the story is really good, even for just a generic "Bowser kidnaps Peach", it does more with some cool themes and even a little bit of darkness to it, I also like the character, Rosalina, and later on in the game you will hear of a back story about her with I think is something I really like that they put in a Mario game. The Gameplay is pretty much near-flawless, it controls fine and there is some great levels and designs; speaking of designs, this game has some of the best graphics on the Wii, it almost looks HD! I also like that Luigi is in this game after his absence in SM64 and SMS, he was pretty fun to play. Overall SMG is one of the greatest Mario games and one of the greatest Wii games out there. An essential game to add to your Wii Library. Expand
  86. DME
    Aug 11, 2010
    Super Mario Galaxy is a mixed bag. It beats Super Mario Sunshine but still hasn't quite lived up to the same standard that Super Mario 64 set. Sometimes the game is fun and addicting but it also has it's moments of boredom.
    Graphics: 9/10 Nice visuals and effects
    Sound: 10/10 Everything sounds 100% Mario
    Story: 7/10 The princess gets kidnapped for the 3 billionth time.

Gameplay: 9/10 Fun with a few bland spots.
    Overall Score: 9/10 A nice addition to the Wii library.
  87. Aug 17, 2010
    Mario galaxy is a near perfect game, the gameplay is perfect, the sound is perfect, the graphics are exactly the way I like them, and the controls are perfect. Sadly though the game has the same problem as every Mario game, bad story, bad multiplayer, and easy difficulty, but other then that it's a perfect game that anyone can enjoy. Mario galaxy is a game were no level is the same, and all the level have there own hook. In some levels your a bee, and in other your swimming in squid infested water. I am also happy to report every level is fun, so for the 8 hours that it takes you to beat the game you'll enjoy every second of it. Like I said the game is 8 hours long but with great replay value you could play 30 hours like me. Expand
  88. Aug 30, 2010
    This game is the best game on the wii. Truly excellent graphics and gameplay. There is tons and tons of things to do and just keeps you coming back for more.
  89. Sep 29, 2010
    Whenever you are tired of the same genre that repeats itself and steadily drops in creativity, rely on Nintendo to make something the opposite of that. Galaxy is the most ambitious Mario game that Nintendo has ever made yet. Perfect controls as expected, ingenious level designs, jaw dropping graphics that rivals other games offered on the 360 or PS3 and amazing replay value. It's a bit easier than previous Mario games but you need this on your Wii collection. Expand
  90. Feb 7, 2014
    Another amazing piece of platforming genius from Nintendo. Like most modern Mario games, it can be quite clinical at times. But for gameplay and fun, there's little better
  91. Jan 15, 2011
    Anyone giving it a bad review, oh come on! You're either one of them COD fanboys, guys who don't even own a Nintendo System, trolls, you found the game too hard or you can't appreciate a game. If you don't like the plot, then you should probably read a book or something. Videogames obviously aren't your thing. This game doesn't even need a good plot, and I'd be upset if it was anything else. If it was something else, it won't work one bit and the game would be pointless. *Cough* (Sonic The Hedgehog) *Cough*. I mean, the Galaxies have variety, are very pretty, have a really good challenge and do not force you to complete the mission. The hub world is fun to walk around in. It stays true to its roots and throws its new ideas around. Oh, and if you're going to call it "Mario 64 in space", well, Halo Reach is Halo in Space. COD is pretty much always in Russia. Tetris is always well, Tetris. I only have one criticism though, and it's that running through to Bowser on your first go is too easy. While the galaxies are original, it gets repeated a lot. This isn't restricted to children. It's for everyone and the only people I see disliking this are technophobes, COD fanboys, people who only use videogames to do yoga, ride horses, etc. and politicians. Mario doesn't need a gun or killing Nazis to be awesome. Not quite perfect, but man is this game good. Own a Wii? Don't have this game? What is wrong with you? Expand
  92. Feb 26, 2011
    The best game on wii. Mario's space adventure is Very fun. Basic 3-d platforming is mixed with Beautiful graphics and great puzzles . His quest to save you-know-who is easy, yet long, just the way it should be. Rarley did it feel frustrating, just enjoyable. How ever, trying to get all 200 is f------- impossible. A great game from start to end.
  93. Jun 1, 2011
    A wonderful adventure awaits you in this awesome game. Mario still has his tricks on it, and Nintendo did one of the best games on their classic masterpiece. Since Mario 64 , i havent played any other cool game from the franchise ( I never played mario Sunchine) any way , the graphics are bright,colorful,intense, the gameplay is fine. Also , this really makes the true potential as for Mario Galaxy 2 , truly epic. Expand
  94. Apr 27, 2011
    Great game! It hjas some average and easy levels. Fun for kids of all ages. I do wish it would get harder towards later in the game. Like ones that make me stumped.
  95. Jan 20, 2013
    All I can say is this is a great game ...despite it's childish approach. "SUPER MARIO GALAAAAAXY" in an annoying pitchy voice at the startup screen just burns me with annoyance. However, the gameplay is great great great.
  96. Apr 26, 2011
    Fun Game. A new twist on the Mario games. really kind of fun but sm64 was the best of the series in my opinion. If you own a wii this is a must have though. Really unique and the graphics are really superb.
  97. Jan 31, 2013
    The main games in the Mario series have a long standing reputation as being amongst the best of their generation and Mario Galaxy is no exception. As the name suggests this new outing takes Mario away from the Mushroom kingdom and high into the stars above. Despite this the game still features a number of instantly recognizable enemies and power-ups while still having more than a few new tricks up its sleeve.

Following a brief intro, in which Bowser yet again kidnaps Peach, Mario finds himself inside a giant space ship which acts as the games hub (much like the castle did in Mario 64). Access to different galaxies/levels gradually open up as you progress with each containing six or seven challenges of varying difficulty. Many of these levels are completely unique and the game never seems to run out of new ways to challenge and entertain the player. As you would expect the platforming itself is second to none and the controls quickly become second nature allowing for precision control. Every time you die you know it is your fault rather than the games.

Perhaps wisely Super Mario Galaxy only makes limited use of the Wii's motion controls. Star bits, that help earn extra lives, can be collected by pointing while some boss fights require the player to deflect projectiles back at the enemy. All in all then this is an excellent addition to the Mario series and one of few games on the Nintendo Wii than can be enjoyed by both casual and hardcore gamers.
  98. Jun 4, 2011
    Super Mario Galaxy is an excellent game. The graphics are amazing, and with 120 stars to collect, the game will definitely keep the player entertained for a long time. But what I like most about Super Mario Galaxy (and its sequel) is the wide variety of worlds. The idea of Mario traversing through space lets Nintendo keep its options open, so that each galaxy is unique. There are water galaxies, ice galaxies, fire galaxies, grassland galaxies, and much more. I do wish accessing the galaxies was easier, though. It takes forever to get to the higher observatories. Also, there are WAY too many Purple Coin missions. Things get slightly repetitive around the endgame. But altogether, Super Mario Galaxy is a very enjoyable experience that I would recommend to anyone and everyone. Expand
  99. Jun 10, 2011
    Its no Mario 64 opr Super Mario Bros but it is reall fun game, it has pretty good graphics for a wii game , it has some moments that are just ok and it is going around planets in space which is weird, but its mario and it is lots of fun
  100. Sep 4, 2011
    I gotta admit, some of these levels are easy, but that flaw is backed up with an amazing soundtrack, almost perfect graphics, and unique game play. The levels are highly unique, something that most games lack.
  101. DaveC.
    Feb 17, 2008
    From the start to the end there is never a dull moment in the game. Any one who has beaten the game will know that you get plenty of Mario and Luigi action. There are a lot of games that try to add replay value. They try to give the game more length by adding bonus items and other useless things you must accomplish. With Super Mario Galaxy that is not the case. You get all 120 stars and you never get board doing it. Then you unlock Luigi get all the start again and beat the last level. The camera angles were not a problem at all. The controls became second nature and added extra effect to the game. Any body that didn't give this game 100/100/10/10 probably didn't beat the entire game. When I saw i could replay the game with Luigi I thought it would be stupid and pointless. That was not the case. It was a far different experience from Mario which made playing thru the game a second time just as fun as the first. The last bonus level was a good reward too. The only thing bad that comes from this game is I will probably never find a game that can offer as much thrill as this one. Ps. Most Mario games don't have multilayer, and for 5-10 year olds with other siblings it will add something fun for the kid waiting to do. Collapse

It's rare to play through a perfect game or one that nears perfection, but Galaxy definitely fits that mold.
  2. Nintendo has crafted a platform game that, while not as technologically pioneering as its grandfather, is, level for level, more fun to play than "Mario 64." [Dec 2007, p.128]
    Galaxy proves that Mario matters just as much today as he did 25 years ago, and that makes him one of a kind in this medium. But don't play Galaxy simply because Mario is the timeless godfather of gaming. No, play Galaxy because it's fantastic.