9.0

1. Jun 28, 2011
    Super Mario World is one of the best 2D platformers of all time, perhaps arguably the BEST. SMW features the best art, level design, music, game design and gameplay of the 16-bit generation. It also further established the direction of Marios art style and theme that would continue to this day. Even the release of New Super Mario Bros Wii released in 2010 which was essentially a copy of the SMW formula was not better than this masterpiece. SMW is a timeless gem and the first game I will always recommend to those wanting a retro classic of Super Nintendo. Expand
  2. Jul 10, 2012
    What a classic. There is not a single 20 year old game that has aged quite this well. A long, incredibly fun game with tons of replay value: what more could you ask for in a game?
  3. Oct 18, 2011
    i just thought o this. this is the best 2d mario, and imporoveson the originals before the series went down slightly

just an irrelevant note, ntndo say that 3d land plays likea 2d mario, so i class that s=as a d mario, and its only just not as good (played at h. japan)
    96%

yeah, lower score, better game stills
  4. Nov 27, 2011
    Super Mario World was the launching title for the Super Nintendo, with 16-bit colorful visuals, many levels, secrets to discover and introduced us to Yoshi for the first time. The game also provides unique boss challenges and a catchy soundtrack that will make you hum while you're playing a level. This would have been a perfect 10, but unfortunately I don't have too much nostalgia with this game like I do with Super Mario Bros. 3. Plus there were a couple of tiny nitpicks like the minimal of power-ups or turning back to small Mario when you get hit with a Flower or Cape power-up on. Speaking of Cape Mario, the flying mechanics for it were quite hard to control, which I didn't really care for that power-up that much. Everything else though is well executed, well playable, and well presentable. Super Mario World maybe challenging at times, but no matter what, there's a way to get through the worlds and defeat Bowser once again. It is a must recommend for the Super NES and for the Wii Virtual Console. Expand
  5. Aug 23, 2010
    Super Mario World. Yeah. The very first SNES game and by far tied in #1 with Chrono Trigger. This game is simply amazing. Best Mario game ever. 96 levels at 300 seconds. Definitly a lot of deaths and practice. But the best.
  6. May 26, 2011
    96 levels, beautiful 16-bit graphics, and upbeat music, this game ties with Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid as my favorite SNES games. And the best part? Yoshi is introduced!
  7. Mar 2, 2013
    The first big 2d game, with great music, lots of secrets and a nice variety of levels. I dont see this game ever being dethroned! The revival of 2d platformers has washed out the genre. I dont see the new Wii and Wii U instalments every becoming classics. This game however, will last forever. Would be cool with an "HD" remake that clears up the pixels a bit. It looks fantastic, but peoples TV:s are much bigger now than when it first came out Expand
  8. Aug 31, 2013
    in the 80's super mario bros was amazing, then super mario bros 2 was not as good as the first one, super mario bros 3 was one of the best games ever made, now nintendo wondered, how can they top that, well they did with super mario world on the SNES. Super Mario World Was amazing. So the plot is different from the other games, instead of being in the mushroom kingdom, mario is on a vacation to dinosaur land. This game introduced yoshi to the series and that's great. now the gameplay is like super mario bros 3, just with yoshi and a cape that lets you fly forever as cape mario, I have to say that I think that cape mario is the best power up in a mario game to date. anyway, all elements from the super mario bros series are in this game, like the flying bricks, mushrooms, and flying koopas, but for some reason there are no goombas to be found. and also there's no flagpole, instead you go through these hill like things to clear a level. the graphics, this games graphics are amazing, it's the SNES's 256 colors that make the characters and the game looks so good. and the music is AWSOME these are some of the catchest songs that i have ever heard in a video game. everything about this game is simply amazing, it's one of the best games ever made. Expand
  9. Jun 26, 2013
    This game is one of the best games ever! great soundtrack and graphics, very fun to play with almost endless replay. I never get tired of playing Super Mario World!
  10. Aug 27, 2012
    I'm sure that if you play this game with the Classic Controller or in the SNES, you will have zero problems with the gameplay. However, dare you use the GameCube controller, your hand will get tired really quickly thanks to the awkward control scheme. If you download this masterpiece through the Virtual Console, be sure to buy a Classic Controller Pro. Minor complaint aside, great game.
  11. May 23, 2012
    Even though this is an old SNES game its still as enjoyable as it was back in the day. I might be influencede by nostalgia but I think this game is great. Beating all the levels and finding the secret passages in this sidescroller is still amusing. Well worth getting!
  12. May 27, 2012
    This game is a masterpiece classic.
  13. May 14, 2013
    This game is outstanding! it used to be my favorite 2d mario game but after replaying the game i had tons of frustrating experiences with it. but still please pick this game up you won't regret it.
  14. Mar 9, 2014
    The best Mario game. Hands Down. Reasons- Art is beautiful, Music is great, controls are solid, you feel like you did something wrong if you died, and the creative level design.

There are no critic reviews yet.