Super Paper Mario Wii

7.9

1. Jan 1, 2017
    Game: Super Paper Mario
    Genre: Action RPG
    Developer: Nintendo System: Nintendo Wii (Wii) Total Score: 88/100 Value Score: 8.8/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 9/10 • Sound: 9/10 • Music: 8/10 • Length: 6/10 • Replay Value: 7/10 • Player Value: 9/10 Pros +Unique combination of RPG and platformer gameplay aspects that mesh well together
    Game: Super Paper Mario
    Genre: Action RPG
    Developer: Nintendo
    System: Nintendo Wii (Wii)
    Total Score: 88/100

• Length: 6/10
    • Replay Value: 7/10
    • Player Value: 9/10

Pros
    +4 playable characters with their own special abilities alongside additional assist characters who give you even more special abilities
    +Great environment and setting to explore and playthrough in both 2D and 3D Point of View
    +Colorful cast of characters and narration just like the first two Paper Mario games
    +Actual post game content that becomes available once finishing the game

Cons
    -Game is too easy in terms of both puzzles and boss fights
    -Game is very short, can be beaten within 12-15 hours compared to the previous games which give you 20+ hours
    -The badge system and level up system from previous games are gone (minor issue)
    -Too much back and forth between areas
  2. Aug 20, 2016
    Although it's very different to the first two Paper Mario games in terms of mechanics, this isn't by any means a bad game, it's actually well made, with nice easter eggs from the first 2 games, and very cool story, places and characters. The 2D to 3D feature is cool yet a bit annoying to use sometimes, and partners lack the charisma they had in the past two entries. Being able to controlAlthough it's very different to the first two Paper Mario games in terms of mechanics, this isn't by any means a bad game, it's actually well made, with nice easter eggs from the first 2 games, and very cool story, places and characters. The 2D to 3D feature is cool yet a bit annoying to use sometimes, and partners lack the charisma they had in the past two entries. Being able to control Bowser, Mario, Luigi and Peach is very nice, and going on in the story is nice although there are some very time-consuming and annoying parts. Expand
  3. Jul 18, 2016
    The 3rd entry in the beloved series known as "Super Paper Mario". Things have gotten weird with the game play. Instead of the traditional turn-based battle system, it is instead a 2D-Platformer. It may sound like a bad change but it still managed to put everything else that made a "Paper Mario" game as great as the first two entries.

The plot is arguably the best in the series (I'm

The plot is arguably the best in the series (I'm gonna tell you 'cause that's the fun of first playing a game). Added with enriching characters and alot of humor, it feels more like watching a movie. With that being said, the text in the game does get really long at times, so be prepared to do a whole lot of reading.

It also managed to put partners in the game. Not as lively as characters like Kooper or Goombella, but still have SOME sort of personality. They also incorporated items in the game. And let's not forget, Peach and Bowser join forces with Mario to save the day! Each one has their own special abilities. Mario can flip into a 3-Dimensional world to solve the majority of the puzzles. Peach can float and use her indestructible parasol. Bowser can deal double damage and can breath fire. There's also a secret character: IT'S-A-WARIO!! WAHAHAHAHAH!!! Nah, that was just a joke. But seriously there is a secret character.

While the battle system was cut in half, everything else stayed, and to it's core, it's still a true "Paper Mario". And was the last "Paper Mario" game until the whole series broke apart.
  4. Jun 19, 2016
    Ótimo jogo, se você quer gastar algum tempo jogando um jogo bem desafiador, engraçado e com uma ótima história, você já encontrou o jogo perfeito.
  5. Jun 12, 2016
    This game is one the best mario games that i have ever played. It has amazing puzzles and beatiful levels. Th3 thing that i liked the most is that it isn't like any of most of mario games. Specifically, the story is nothing like the classic one and the game is written very well. I enjoyed a lot this game and i believe that is one of the best out there for the wii console.
  6. May 15, 2016
    Stunning. I must say one - this game actualy final awesomepart from Paper Mario series. Normal Graphis, cute platforming gameplay, and wonderful storyline. I think even Legend of Zelda not have so storyline, how Super Paper Mario. Actually this game stand in second place in my favorite Paper Mario games))
  7. Apr 1, 2016
    A great game with a great art style. Game play is ok, but story and writing are amazing. Bet you never expected a Mario title to be basically based on religion. 2D-3D concept is simple and presented well... but it shouldn't be a selling point for this almost-flawless Wii title.
  8. Mar 14, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's quite different from the original style, but surprisingly, it's my 2nd favorite.
    Instead of a RPG it's a platformer, but the story is even better than TTYD's. It's more emotional, and i bet some people cried at the ending. The story is brilliant, the creativity is extreme for this game, it's fantastic.
    While it's a platformer with "levels" on it, it has a leveling up system where your HP and POW will increase by time, so the original gameplay is not totally let down. And the fact that you can control 4 (Mario, Peach, Bowser and Luigi) different characters WITH a partner (Which you can select on the menu) and Tippi (Which is actually a partner too) is brilliant. And there are vital secrets which you need to find with the help of Tippi, or else you won't be able to progress trough the story.

As i said, it's my 2nd favorite Paper Mario game, but wait... Paper Mario was a RPG not a platformer, how can you consider that a Paper Mario game? Because of its charm, the charm that this game has makes it a Paper Mario game.
  9. Mar 12, 2016
    Super Paper Mario is a departure from the traditional Paper Mario style of gameplay, abandoning the old turn-based battles in favor of an Action RPG system combining platforming with an RPG-style battle system. In place of badges, players now get a set of characters with their own abilities. The most notable is Mario's own, the ability to "flip" between 2D and 3D, revealing hidden areas orSuper Paper Mario is a departure from the traditional Paper Mario style of gameplay, abandoning the old turn-based battles in favor of an Action RPG system combining platforming with an RPG-style battle system. In place of badges, players now get a set of characters with their own abilities. The most notable is Mario's own, the ability to "flip" between 2D and 3D, revealing hidden areas or platforms and adding an extra layer to what would otherwise be fairly basic platforming. Partners have been replaced with Pixls, floating companions that with special effects such as allowing you to grab and throw items, turn into a bomb or a floating platform, or letting you turn sideways to get through narrow passages. While fun, the Pixls have much less personality than the partners in past games did, making them nice for gameplay but not so nice to have as characters.

The plot is interesting, but more serious this time, focusing on stopping the end of all worlds. The series' usual humor is still present, but sometimes clashes a bit with some of the more serious moments. As in past games, each chapter has its own sub-plot and location. The characters are as lively and unique as always, with many of the new characters having a "blocky" look to them, a visual quirk shared by the new locations.

Overall, Super Paper Mario is a great game, but the new gameplay feels a little weaker thanks to being very reminiscent of the main Mario games, and the tonal dissonance present in the cutscenes at times weakens the plot a little. Still, if you enjoyed the earlier Paper Mario games, like platformers, or just appreciate games with a good story and characters, Super Paper Mario is definitely a game worth playing.
  10. Mar 12, 2016
    While this wasn't quite as focused on exploration like TTYD, I loved this game. I thought the three d mechanic worked well for what it was trying to accomplish and add a good level of depth. My main complaint was that it felt too much like a regular Mario game with the 2d side scrolling. However, the game's story and powerful array of character really brought it to life and made the gameWhile this wasn't quite as focused on exploration like TTYD, I loved this game. I thought the three d mechanic worked well for what it was trying to accomplish and add a good level of depth. My main complaint was that it felt too much like a regular Mario game with the 2d side scrolling. However, the game's story and powerful array of character really brought it to life and made the game memorable. Expand
  11. Mar 12, 2016
    It has a nice new mechanic with the 2D to 3D switching and while it can be a little finicky it works well. I do not like how the turn based battles were removed and i feel that they really could have fit well as it brings it closer to generic Mario play style. Granted I loved how involved the Mario characters were in the plot, each one of them had a purpose. There were extremelyIt has a nice new mechanic with the 2D to 3D switching and while it can be a little finicky it works well. I do not like how the turn based battles were removed and i feel that they really could have fit well as it brings it closer to generic Mario play style. Granted I loved how involved the Mario characters were in the plot, each one of them had a purpose. There were extremely interesting villains, the love and betrayal in this game were so good. The reason that this game is not getting a 10 of 10 is because of the combat system becoming in world as compared to the last paper Mario, and maybe the lack of variety in locations. It was still good though and i have played through it a few times, so I would recommend it. Expand
  12. Feb 13, 2016
    Those who dislike this game probably only played the first 1/2 chapters of the game. Granted, they are the weakest chapters in the game, but after that it really picks up. I mean, you get to go into space!
    The music, like most Nintendo games is brilliant. I can't think of a single Nintendo game off the top of my head with bad music.
    The story is incredible (especially for a Mario game):
    The story is incredible (especially for a Mario game): not just plain ol' cookie-cutter "Bowser kidnaps Peach: Mario save Peach". I'm looking at YOU, Sticker Star.
    The gameplay. Oh boy, the gameplay. It's a platformer, unlike the other Paper Mario series, with some RPG elements in it (level ups, increasing HP bar etc.). It's still as good as the other games, and it expands on the partner system: you get Pixls (the equivalent of partners), and different characters to play as (Mario, Peach, Bowser & Luigi). You're not stuck as one character and only one character the whole game. I'm looking at YOU, Sticker Star.
    In general, almost everything about this game is good. The only things I don't really like are the first two chapters and the fact that you don't get Luigi until near the end of the game, but that's pretty much it.
    I mean, you get to go into space!
  13. Dec 27, 2015
    You got to admit it though. It does pretty much continue on to be a great Paper Mario game --- albeit not better than the original and the Thousand-Year Door but definitely better than Sticker Star --- and it'll bring in what's waiting for you.
  14. Nov 27, 2015
    Super Paper Mario really delivers the awesomeness although it isn't entirely an RPG.The graphics are really good and some of the music is really catchy!This is a must own for anyone who has a Wii or Wii U as it is stunning!
  15. Nov 15, 2015
    Its a departure from the last but still enjoyable the music fits the areas perfectly the characters
    would have rated 10 if it wasnt for the NAVI butterfly thing
  16. Jul 13, 2015
    This game is a step down from the original two, but not by much. Chapter 7 is the best chapter of the game. I would recommend this game to anybody who is a fan of the series.
  17. Jul 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really don't understand how one of the reviewers gave 0 points to this masterpiece. This game may not be a classic Paper Mario game, but overall the best Mario game there. The gameplay is amazing and fun, the humour is really good, and the best thing about this game is the best story to be ever told in a Mario game. It's a story about (SPOILERS) a person losing hope in life who doesn't see a sense in living anymore. It's a story about love and obsession. The final boss was very climatic and had a really good music. Expand
  18. May 4, 2015
    Overall, it's an enjoyable game. Super Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door on Gamecube, however, is my preference.
    This game does indeed have its charms though and it is well-made overall; however, it does have its flaws. I have to say, one of the most annoying things for me is how it keeps making a beeping sound when you're on low health.
  19. Mar 23, 2015
    Simply fun, funny, cool and awesome. This is the best game on the Wii to me, the only problem with it is; Always carry an Ipad when playing because the puzzles are really hard to solve and almost clueless. Overall, it's the best Paper Mario game ever made.
  20. Mar 22, 2015
    Unlike most, I played this game's successor Paper Mario: Sticker Star after this one. Thankfully, I found Super Paper Mario to be superior in almost every way.

Since this game is an RPG, it would naturally have an in-depth and engaging story (though Sticker Star begs to differ). SPM delivers with the best story in a Mario game to date, even if that's not too hard to beat. It has innovative gameplay as well. The switching from 2D to 3D mechanic never got old to me and it always opened up new puzzles and pathways.

Super Paper Mario's soundtrack may not be quite as memorable as Sticker Star's but it still holds up with its funky 8-bit like tunes. The Pixls in the game are pixelated fairies that each have specific abilities. One can grab things and one can search for invisible objects, adding a fresh take on the gameplay.

Overall, Super Paper Mario is definitely a game to pick up for your Wii (or Wii U) library. It's a polished game that I can easily recommend over Sticker Star.
  21. Mar 20, 2015
    This game is great. A good start for the Paper Mario Series if ya missed out on the N64 Version. The graphics are okay. The "3D" walking thing is good. The story is awesome. The characters and design were awesome. Super Paper Mario is a VERY great game but I have not played it in AGES.
  22. Mar 20, 2015
    This is one of the best mario games i have ever played. i enjoyed playing out the entire game.if you are a mario fan i am sure you will enjoy playing this wonderful game.
  23. Jul 16, 2014
    Super Paper Mario is a fun game. It has a great story and a awesome music track. For those of you who still haven't played this game yet, you are missing out in a perfect game.
  24. Jun 27, 2014
    I've never liked RPGs, and I still don't. So when I played this game, I was happy to se that it was a platformer, but with a storyline of an RPG, and even the leveling ups. Which really makes the game "deeper" if you really want to say that. Anyways, you can get these things called Pixls, and they can do things ranging from protecting you from spikes, giving you a hammer, making you goI've never liked RPGs, and I still don't. So when I played this game, I was happy to se that it was a platformer, but with a storyline of an RPG, and even the leveling ups. Which really makes the game "deeper" if you really want to say that. Anyways, you can get these things called Pixls, and they can do things ranging from protecting you from spikes, giving you a hammer, making you go faster & ect... Which really makes backtracking a joy, because you can use these abilities never seen before in that level, sometimes its mandatory, which, isn't as bad as you think. Expand
  25. Jun 22, 2014
    It's really unfortunate that this game is so overlooked. To me, this game gets far too much hate. I think it's time for me to put in my two cents.. Most people's opinions on this game are sorely based on nostalgia. I guarantee if this game didn't have the title of "Paper Mario", everyone would've loved it. Because of the two previous games being masterpieces, it really raised expectationsIt's really unfortunate that this game is so overlooked. To me, this game gets far too much hate. I think it's time for me to put in my two cents.. Most people's opinions on this game are sorely based on nostalgia. I guarantee if this game didn't have the title of "Paper Mario", everyone would've loved it. Because of the two previous games being masterpieces, it really raised expectations for a sequel. I will say, though, my thoughts are different for Sticker Star. The idea seems forced. As if someone was like, "Paper... paper..... STICKERS!! Omfg genius"
    Anyway, Super Paper Mario, to me, is a brilliant game. It's awesome in it's own right. It has plenty of replay value. The story is amazing, and so is the dialogue. Yes, it is one of the easiest games I have ever played, but I had a blast playing it. I've played through it a considerable amount of times, and it has yet to get old.
    It's really fun trying to find all the secrets. One of my only complaints, is why do you have to go through Flopside's Pit of 100 Trials twice? XD and Chapter 6 is a bit boring :P
  26. Apr 2, 2014
    Be prepared as you jump into this game, because if you were a fan of the first two Paper Mario games and you bought this game without looking at any gameplay already and expect it to have the gameplay of the first two games, you will be severely disappointed. For Super Paper Mario has a totally new style of gameplay that I know has made many Paper Mario fans enraged. For the gameplay isBe prepared as you jump into this game, because if you were a fan of the first two Paper Mario games and you bought this game without looking at any gameplay already and expect it to have the gameplay of the first two games, you will be severely disappointed. For Super Paper Mario has a totally new style of gameplay that I know has made many Paper Mario fans enraged. For the gameplay is now mostly sidescrolling with no turn-based battling but gameplay controls of like a traditional side-scroller Mario game; however there are still a few RPG elements still present, the game still has shops and HP and some other things and it's even as long as a typically RPG and it also has a very sophisticated story. Speaking of the story, the story in this game is amazing, I won't spoil anything, but this game has a very well written story, it even has some pretty dark themes even for a typical "E for Everyone" Mario game; not to mention, the ending ties the story well together and is even a bit of a tear jerker. Overall Super Paper Mario is sure to disappoint Paper Mario fans, but if you treat it like an individual Mario game, you will find that Super Paper Mario is an excellent game! Another Wii game I'd recommend. Expand
  27. Feb 9, 2014
    I Absolutely LOVE this game! horrible graphics but yet the best game ever! I like the fact that Mario is 2d and totally paper like! I got stuck on one crappy level... but its okay. my Mario love!
  28. Jan 14, 2014
    Most people think that Paper Mario isn't as good as other Mario games- but it is that good! People should try it! It's a really good good game. He looks really small and he doesn't get big when he gets a mushroom, he just gets more points. You have to fight Count Bleck at the very end. That's the part I'm in fact right now stuck on.

jonah age 5
  29. Jan 12, 2014
    This game is a brilliant platformer puzzler game that should be looked and bought by all Mario and RPG fans. SPM has left the common formula of the PERFECT Paper Mario Turn Based Battles, and has gone a new route, a new experiment. The story mode of this game is roughly 30-35 hours, excluding other things you can do afterwards (100ahemtrials). It does a good job of mixing an NSMB game withThis game is a brilliant platformer puzzler game that should be looked and bought by all Mario and RPG fans. SPM has left the common formula of the PERFECT Paper Mario Turn Based Battles, and has gone a new route, a new experiment. The story mode of this game is roughly 30-35 hours, excluding other things you can do afterwards (100ahemtrials). It does a good job of mixing an NSMB game with the wonderful charm of Paper Mario. The puzzles can really make you think, and the story being the deepest of the four paper marios. The text may be a bother to skip through, but reading it carefully will engulf you in the story and make you understand it more. Most people here are giving bad ratings because they don't take the time to read it enough, or they just don't like changes. I recommend this to all RPG and Mario fans for the wii! Brilliant game!

Gameplay: 9/10
    Story: 9.5/10
    Music: 9.5/10
    Presentation: 9/10
    Length: 9/10
    Overall: 9/10
  30. Nov 9, 2013
    Most of the Mario games out there have the basic storyline: Peach has been kidnapped by Bowser, and Mario must save her. While that's the standard story, the Paper Mario series strays from that path and takes on its own story.
    This is the only Paper Mario game I've played, so it'll be reviewed as an individual game rather than a sequel.
    The story of this game is that an evil sorcerer

The story of this game is that an evil sorcerer named Count Bleck has used to the powers of the Chaos Heart to open a void in the dimensions that would soon destroy all worlds. Mario, with the help of a butterfly named Tippi, must find all of the Pure Hearts to cancel out the Chaos Heart. While you're playing the game, there'll be little cutscenes that are nothing but texts on a black screen. These scenes narrate a tragic love story and actually play a big part in the overall conclusion. Throughout the game, there are many humorous scenes and events that actually make me laugh out loud. At the same time, there are moments that shock me, and some that even make me want to cry. Most Mario games are unoriginal with their stories, but this one is truly deep, worthy of a novel.

In Super Paper Mario, you go through the side-scrolling 2-D world. There is a twist though: you get to flip it to 3-D and see the world in that perspective. There are limits to the ability, but. it contributes to the puzzle solving aspect of this game. Another factor in the puzzle solving of the game are little helpers called Pixls. You find a few of these little fairy-type creatures and they all have their own power, including making you super thin, allowing you to float over surfaces, and one being a giant hammer. There are other powers and if you're ever having trouble, all of these unique personalities might help you in your troubles. Also, you don't just get to play as Mario, but Peach, Luigi, and even Bowser. You can switch over from one to the other if ever the puzzle calls for it as each of them has their own unique ability as well.

I must make it clear that in order to play this game, you must have a certain level of patience. This is a twenty hour game and about four of those hours can be you figuring out where you're supposed to go and what you're supposed to do, wandering around blindly and hoping that you'll stumble across the answer. When you do find the answer though, it makes you feel very satisfied with your problem solving skills. And in the 3-D world, while it's cool that you can do that, it's not very detailed. It feels like a barren wasteland and it doesn't do much for me. In fact, there were some parts of the game that seemed to be put there just to consume your time.

While it's a puzzle solving game, it's also an RPG where defeating enemies levels you up, giving you more life and more strength. You can buy items or pick them up from place to place, all serving their special purpose such as healing you or making you more powerful for a certain amount of time. The mechanics of this particular RPG are simple but it's presented very well.

The soundtrack of this game is wonderful in my opinion. Like I said, you might be spending hours on end finding out where you're supposed to go. That's what happened to me. And the soundtrack made it bearable, with some worlds having a jumpy, distorted but cheerful sounding tone, and others having a grand orchestral arrangement set up. All of it, even the boss fights, sets the mood of each world wonderfully and I don't have any complaints.

It's not the very best Mario game I've played, but it's certainly up there. If you have patience for running around and wasting your time on trivial activities, I say pick this game up. It has a beautiful story and nice (even if flawed) gameplay mechanic.

#2 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2007
#3 Most Shared Wii Game of 2007

1. Play Magazine
    It feels and looks polished, considerate, and expensive. [Apr 2007, p.40]
  2. Anyone with half a heart will absolutely fall in love with the characters, the graphics, the dialogue, the old-school shout-outs to previous games, the little visual effects lingering in the skies of every world... the love just keeps plopping out of the speakers at an incredible rate. For every annoying, excessively long fetch quest or mundane puzzle, there's a huge, cutesy payoff that makes all the trouble worthwhile.
    It controls tightly and uses the Wii remote in a smart manner without stepping into forced territory. The new 2D-to-3D dynamic is built around clever and surprisingly complex puzzles that will challenge and impress you. And it all comes together to make Super Paper Mario a highly enjoyable title, whether you want to call it a platformer, an RPG, or something in-between.