Super Paper Mario Wii

7.9

1. Dec 27, 2015
    You got to admit it though. It does pretty much continue on to be a great Paper Mario game --- albeit not better than the original and the Thousand-Year Door but definitely better than Sticker Star --- and it'll bring in what's waiting for you.
  2. Nov 11, 2011
    Super Paper Mario features slightly faster and different gameplay than the previous Paper Mario games That is not a bad thing at all. It is not turn based like the others, , and the graphics look great.
  3. Jan 1, 2017
    Game: Super Paper Mario
    Genre: Action RPG
    Developer: Nintendo System: Nintendo Wii (Wii) Total Score: 88/100 Value Score: 8.8/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 9/10 • Sound: 9/10 • Music: 8/10 • Length: 6/10 • Replay Value: 7/10 • Player Value: 9/10 Pros +Unique combination of RPG and platformer gameplay aspects that mesh well together
    Game: Super Paper Mario
    Genre: Action RPG
    Developer: Nintendo
    System: Nintendo Wii (Wii)
    Total Score: 88/100

• Length: 6/10
    • Replay Value: 7/10
    • Player Value: 9/10

Pros
    +4 playable characters with their own special abilities alongside additional assist characters who give you even more special abilities
    +Great environment and setting to explore and playthrough in both 2D and 3D Point of View
    +Colorful cast of characters and narration just like the first two Paper Mario games
    +Actual post game content that becomes available once finishing the game

Cons
    -Game is too easy in terms of both puzzles and boss fights
    -Game is very short, can be beaten within 12-15 hours compared to the previous games which give you 20+ hours
    -The badge system and level up system from previous games are gone (minor issue)
    -Too much back and forth between areas
  4. Nov 8, 2012
    This game certainly stands out in the Paper Mario series and even in the entire collection of available Wii games. If you liked the original and/or TTYD for it's RPG elements, this may or may not be a better game for you. Seeing as they changed most of the RPG elements (mostly the fighting style). Although, there is still a progressive story just like the first two. The biggest change,This game certainly stands out in the Paper Mario series and even in the entire collection of available Wii games. If you liked the original and/or TTYD for it's RPG elements, this may or may not be a better game for you. Seeing as they changed most of the RPG elements (mostly the fighting style). Although, there is still a progressive story just like the first two. The biggest change, like I already mentioned, is the battle system. Unlike the first two Paper Mario games, this one has no "getting into battle, choosing weapons" stuff. Basically, like most other Mario games, there is a simple way of defeating enemies. By stomping on them. Although, the game adds new features such as switching from a 2-D perspective to a 3-D perspective, which I found very unique. Pretty good graphics and pretty smooth gameplay included. In the end, the game might not be the best Paper Mario game in my opinion, but it certainly is worth a try, even if you are uncomfortable with the lack of RPG elements, because you might like it. I give it a 9/10. Expand
  5. Mar 22, 2015
    Unlike most, I played this game's successor Paper Mario: Sticker Star after this one. Thankfully, I found Super Paper Mario to be superior in almost every way.

Since this game is an RPG, it would naturally have an in-depth and engaging story (though Sticker Star begs to differ). SPM delivers with the best story in a Mario game to date, even if that's not too hard to beat. It has innovative gameplay as well. The switching from 2D to 3D mechanic never got old to me and it always opened up new puzzles and pathways.

Super Paper Mario's soundtrack may not be quite as memorable as Sticker Star's but it still holds up with its funky 8-bit like tunes. The Pixls in the game are pixelated fairies that each have specific abilities. One can grab things and one can search for invisible objects, adding a fresh take on the gameplay.

Overall, Super Paper Mario is definitely a game to pick up for your Wii (or Wii U) library. It's a polished game that I can easily recommend over Sticker Star.
  6. Mar 20, 2015
    This game is great. A good start for the Paper Mario Series if ya missed out on the N64 Version. The graphics are okay. The "3D" walking thing is good. The story is awesome. The characters and design were awesome. Super Paper Mario is a VERY great game but I have not played it in AGES.
  7. May 25, 2011
    It's really too bad this game gets overlooked, because this game is among the best titles you'll get for Wii. Sure, it lacks the traditional Paper Mario RPG elements, but the unique press-a-button-to-turn-2D-into-3D gameplay is innovative and great. Knock-your-socks-off dialogue is great.
  8. Oct 20, 2013
    This is one of, if not the best Mario games out there. It combines 2D platforming and RPG elements well. Its dialogue is quite long but can be very funny and very well written. There is tons of collectibles, unique and interesting enemies and fun boss fights. A must-have for any Mario fan.
  9. Apr 2, 2014
    Be prepared as you jump into this game, because if you were a fan of the first two Paper Mario games and you bought this game without looking at any gameplay already and expect it to have the gameplay of the first two games, you will be severely disappointed. For Super Paper Mario has a totally new style of gameplay that I know has made many Paper Mario fans enraged. For the gameplay isBe prepared as you jump into this game, because if you were a fan of the first two Paper Mario games and you bought this game without looking at any gameplay already and expect it to have the gameplay of the first two games, you will be severely disappointed. For Super Paper Mario has a totally new style of gameplay that I know has made many Paper Mario fans enraged. For the gameplay is now mostly sidescrolling with no turn-based battling but gameplay controls of like a traditional side-scroller Mario game; however there are still a few RPG elements still present, the game still has shops and HP and some other things and it's even as long as a typically RPG and it also has a very sophisticated story. Speaking of the story, the story in this game is amazing, I won't spoil anything, but this game has a very well written story, it even has some pretty dark themes even for a typical "E for Everyone" Mario game; not to mention, the ending ties the story well together and is even a bit of a tear jerker. Overall Super Paper Mario is sure to disappoint Paper Mario fans, but if you treat it like an individual Mario game, you will find that Super Paper Mario is an excellent game! Another Wii game I'd recommend. Expand
  10. Jan 12, 2014
    This game is a brilliant platformer puzzler game that should be looked and bought by all Mario and RPG fans. SPM has left the common formula of the PERFECT Paper Mario Turn Based Battles, and has gone a new route, a new experiment. The story mode of this game is roughly 30-35 hours, excluding other things you can do afterwards (100ahemtrials). It does a good job of mixing an NSMB game withThis game is a brilliant platformer puzzler game that should be looked and bought by all Mario and RPG fans. SPM has left the common formula of the PERFECT Paper Mario Turn Based Battles, and has gone a new route, a new experiment. The story mode of this game is roughly 30-35 hours, excluding other things you can do afterwards (100ahemtrials). It does a good job of mixing an NSMB game with the wonderful charm of Paper Mario. The puzzles can really make you think, and the story being the deepest of the four paper marios. The text may be a bother to skip through, but reading it carefully will engulf you in the story and make you understand it more. Most people here are giving bad ratings because they don't take the time to read it enough, or they just don't like changes. I recommend this to all RPG and Mario fans for the wii! Brilliant game!

Gameplay: 9/10
    Story: 9.5/10
    Music: 9.5/10
    Presentation: 9/10
    Length: 9/10
    Overall: 9/10
  11. Jun 27, 2014
    I've never liked RPGs, and I still don't. So when I played this game, I was happy to se that it was a platformer, but with a storyline of an RPG, and even the leveling ups. Which really makes the game "deeper" if you really want to say that. Anyways, you can get these things called Pixls, and they can do things ranging from protecting you from spikes, giving you a hammer, making you goI've never liked RPGs, and I still don't. So when I played this game, I was happy to se that it was a platformer, but with a storyline of an RPG, and even the leveling ups. Which really makes the game "deeper" if you really want to say that. Anyways, you can get these things called Pixls, and they can do things ranging from protecting you from spikes, giving you a hammer, making you go faster & ect... Which really makes backtracking a joy, because you can use these abilities never seen before in that level, sometimes its mandatory, which, isn't as bad as you think. Expand
  12. Mar 11, 2017
    The concept of this game is simple: you switch between 2D and 3D to complete puzzles. I liked this game a lot, especially because it changes from its gamecube and n64 predecessors. The story is also very good. I recommend this game to people who like the series or want to try something new.
  13. Jun 12, 2015
    Overrated. Not horrible, just overrated. It's decent fun, but I'm not a fan of Paper Mario. Overall ok, but not for me. Occasionally confusing, but the Flipside feature is cool.
  14. Aug 15, 2013
    I remember when I was a kid that my favorite game on the Gamecube was Paper Mario The Ten Thousand year door and when I heard that there was a new Paper Mario game coming soon I got hyped more then for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I couldn't wait but little did I know I was waiting for a huge kick in the balls. The game was basically New Super Mario Bros. RPG (infact I would have preferredI remember when I was a kid that my favorite game on the Gamecube was Paper Mario The Ten Thousand year door and when I heard that there was a new Paper Mario game coming soon I got hyped more then for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I couldn't wait but little did I know I was waiting for a huge kick in the balls. The game was basically New Super Mario Bros. RPG (infact I would have preferred that title much more). With a boring storyline (that I can't imagine any kids understanding), graphics that are an insult to the Wii, terrible partners (I prefer one done well then 9 with no soul), Navi/Tippi, bad boss fights (excluding the first one), a main villain with no incentive (other then just take over the world), and some of the worst levels I've ever seen. Expand
  15. Nov 13, 2011
    The Paper Mario series has long been the benchmark of video game creativity. the 2D to 3D puzzles in Super Paper Mario are sometimes pure devious, the music is among the most catchy ever, it plays like a dream, and although it's not at good as it's GameCube cousin, it is easily one of the best Wii games that will ever be made.
  16. Jun 27, 2011
    Gameplay is very easy, but very varied. 2d/3d worlds are fun and controls very intuitive. There's a great variety of weapons, personalities, mini-games, and game mechanics. There are way more mysteries in the game for any one reasonable person to find in a play-through, and that makes trying new tactics in the game very fun. Dialogue is superior to most Wii games, fwiw - with plenty of witGameplay is very easy, but very varied. 2d/3d worlds are fun and controls very intuitive. There's a great variety of weapons, personalities, mini-games, and game mechanics. There are way more mysteries in the game for any one reasonable person to find in a play-through, and that makes trying new tactics in the game very fun. Dialogue is superior to most Wii games, fwiw - with plenty of wit and unexpected personality. Character depth should have been developed more, but there was enough to empathize with characters. Definitely agree with others on that "Hamster Wheel" section of the game -- and there are quite a few other examples of drawing the game out for no reason other than to frustrate the player and waste his/her time without enjoyment. Puzzles aren't too difficult, but sometimes needed objects are placed in bizarre areas forcing you to go through everything five times for a couple hours, then realize you needed to go further back in a way which doesn't seem to make sense. There's excellent variety to the atmospheres created in the game. Some parts of the game just feel unbalanced -- there are rewards for tediously hunting treasure, finding recipes, and playing mini-games, but they don't make any significant impact on gameplay, while spending an hour in a type of gladiator pit breaks the game, making the character uber-powerful. SPM has the typical Mario problem of pits which give no indication of if they're useful or not supposed to be jumped in -- a very bizarre skinner box technique. Overall, a very fun game, and the only Wii game of over ten which I actually played to the end. Expand
  17. Apr 1, 2016
    A great game with a great art style. Game play is ok, but story and writing are amazing. Bet you never expected a Mario title to be basically based on religion. 2D-3D concept is simple and presented well... but it shouldn't be a selling point for this almost-flawless Wii title.
  18. Jun 28, 2013
    Super Paper Mario is a very original game! The gameplay is incredibly unique, there are lots of fun characters, the art style is cute, and it's challenging, but not so challenging that you never are able to finish it. A heavily recommended game!
  19. Aug 8, 2011
    Don't get me wrong, this is a good game, but sometimes it feels like your just running around in circles! Want a good Mario game on Wii? Pick this if you want but if you are looking for the best Mario game on Wii, Galaxy 2 is for you then!
  20. May 4, 2015
    Overall, it's an enjoyable game. Super Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door on Gamecube, however, is my preference.
    This game does indeed have its charms though and it is well-made overall; however, it does have its flaws. I have to say, one of the most annoying things for me is how it keeps making a beeping sound when you're on low health.
  21. Oct 16, 2012
    Here's my take on this game: The gameplay is fairly simple, but can get REALLY fun. I admit, it is a somewhat easy game, but that's not what compels you to keep playing. That's the story's job. This game has one of the most compelling stories I've ever seen in a video game, let alone a Mario game. It'll occasionally throw a curveball at you, be it a plot twist, character revelation, etc.Here's my take on this game: The gameplay is fairly simple, but can get REALLY fun. I admit, it is a somewhat easy game, but that's not what compels you to keep playing. That's the story's job. This game has one of the most compelling stories I've ever seen in a video game, let alone a Mario game. It'll occasionally throw a curveball at you, be it a plot twist, character revelation, etc. Despite being a Mario game, it can get surprisingly dark, especially in worlds 2, 5, and 6. Combined with beautiful artwork, good level design, and multiple ways of playing, this is a game that is an experience you won't want to miss. Unless you're, I don't know, a prick who hates creativity and a good story? Expand
  22. Apr 1, 2011
    The game is not a Mario RPG... it really is something original. The game has lot's of charm, has clever puzzles and is often hilarious. BUT there are parts when I was wondering, "What were the developers thinking?!". Seriously, for every amazing part, such as a castle for dorks, video game hell & an amazing space shoot-out, there is a dumb, bland sequence. Literally, there is a part whereThe game is not a Mario RPG... it really is something original. The game has lot's of charm, has clever puzzles and is often hilarious. BUT there are parts when I was wondering, "What were the developers thinking?!". Seriously, for every amazing part, such as a castle for dorks, video game hell & an amazing space shoot-out, there is a dumb, bland sequence. Literally, there is a part where you run right in a blank white space for 5 minutes... WTF? Good for a rental, but if you want classic platforming, get Kirby, Donkey Kong or New Super Mario Bros Expand
  23. Aug 20, 2016
    Although it's very different to the first two Paper Mario games in terms of mechanics, this isn't by any means a bad game, it's actually well made, with nice easter eggs from the first 2 games, and very cool story, places and characters. The 2D to 3D feature is cool yet a bit annoying to use sometimes, and partners lack the charisma they had in the past two entries. Being able to controlAlthough it's very different to the first two Paper Mario games in terms of mechanics, this isn't by any means a bad game, it's actually well made, with nice easter eggs from the first 2 games, and very cool story, places and characters. The 2D to 3D feature is cool yet a bit annoying to use sometimes, and partners lack the charisma they had in the past two entries. Being able to control Bowser, Mario, Luigi and Peach is very nice, and going on in the story is nice although there are some very time-consuming and annoying parts. Expand
  24. Jun 1, 2011
    The Paper Mario series by Intelligent Systems is a series of games dating back to the N64, Intelligent Systems took the reins of the Mario RPG series after Square made Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, the games have always had colorful characters, interesting locations and worlds and witty writing. Super Paper Mario takes away the turn base format from previous titles for moreThe Paper Mario series by Intelligent Systems is a series of games dating back to the N64, Intelligent Systems took the reins of the Mario RPG series after Square made Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, the games have always had colorful characters, interesting locations and worlds and witty writing. Super Paper Mario takes away the turn base format from previous titles for more of a plate former feel and action while still keeping the health and moves. While the new take on the series does feel fresh, the way the abilities and character switching completely wrenches the experience. To have to change from one character who can bomb to one that can hammer just gets annoying after a short time. At times it felt that the game was rushed, and rushed bad. The entire use of the mirror town of Flopside is completely under used and felt like a last second addition. In fact, this game lacks a lot of polish the previous games of the series had. Sure the other ones had a few slow chapters, but this one really gets to you.
    If you can trudge along then you'll enjoy it, if not then you'll be annoyed out of playing this game.
  25. May 15, 2016
    Stunning. I must say one - this game actualy final awesomepart from Paper Mario series. Normal Graphis, cute platforming gameplay, and wonderful storyline. I think even Legend of Zelda not have so storyline, how Super Paper Mario. Actually this game stand in second place in my favorite Paper Mario games))
  26. Oct 7, 2016
    Art style is pretty ugly, boring partners. This game is just so boring, one of the worst paper mario games easy.

Oh and don't forgett am i the only one who likes Super paper mario?

This game is pretty garbage 5/10
  27. Jul 18, 2016
    The 3rd entry in the beloved series known as "Super Paper Mario". Things have gotten weird with the game play. Instead of the traditional turn-based battle system, it is instead a 2D-Platformer. It may sound like a bad change but it still managed to put everything else that made a "Paper Mario" game as great as the first two entries.

The plot is arguably the best in the series (I'm

The plot is arguably the best in the series (I'm gonna tell you 'cause that's the fun of first playing a game). Added with enriching characters and alot of humor, it feels more like watching a movie. With that being said, the text in the game does get really long at times, so be prepared to do a whole lot of reading.

It also managed to put partners in the game. Not as lively as characters like Kooper or Goombella, but still have SOME sort of personality. They also incorporated items in the game. And let's not forget, Peach and Bowser join forces with Mario to save the day! Each one has their own special abilities. Mario can flip into a 3-Dimensional world to solve the majority of the puzzles. Peach can float and use her indestructible parasol. Bowser can deal double damage and can breath fire. There's also a secret character: IT'S-A-WARIO!! WAHAHAHAHAH!!! Nah, that was just a joke. But seriously there is a secret character.

While the battle system was cut in half, everything else stayed, and to it's core, it's still a true "Paper Mario". And was the last "Paper Mario" game until the whole series broke apart.
  28. Jun 19, 2016
    Ótimo jogo, se você quer gastar algum tempo jogando um jogo bem desafiador, engraçado e com uma ótima história, você já encontrou o jogo perfeito.
  29. Jul 18, 2012
    This was a fun and unique take on the Mario game concept. While I enjoyed playing it, the game's linear RPG storyline makes it unlikely you would want to play it more than once. The story is strange and funny (or at least tries to be), and the fact that you can switch from 1D to 3D added a cool dynamic to the gameplay. Over all, though, the pace was slow and the storyline was too goofy toThis was a fun and unique take on the Mario game concept. While I enjoyed playing it, the game's linear RPG storyline makes it unlikely you would want to play it more than once. The story is strange and funny (or at least tries to be), and the fact that you can switch from 1D to 3D added a cool dynamic to the gameplay. Over all, though, the pace was slow and the storyline was too goofy to really get me excited about playing. This would probably be very fun for its target audience, but older gamers might find it a bit simplistic and watered down. Expand
  30. Oct 18, 2010
    I have to be honest; the plot is better than Super Mario Galaxy. Although it's quite repetitive and get's a bit boring after a while, that didn't stop me from finishing the game from beginning to end. Even though it's pretty good, that doesn't explain some of the confusion you may have in the game, but it does not really hurt it too much.
  31. Nov 9, 2010
    I Love this game, when it comes the the entire series, i just cannot get enough of it.
    i know the whole Paper mario 64 inside out and now i know this one well as well tho i think it should have stayed turn based it was well seeing mario... well turn super
    this was a good callaboration with new and old
    Nice job "Intelligent Systems"!!!
  32. Jul 31, 2016
    While not quite living up to its predecessors, this game is still very good in its own right.

Right off the bat, this game's greatest strength is its great story, one with genuine intrigue, surprising plot twists, and characters on both sides having hidden agendas. This game may even top its predecessor in terms of overall story, even if it doesn't have the same advantages of having a unique subplot for each chapter.

Character wise, this game was a bit hit or miss. The villains are extremely memorable and unique, while for the most part, Mario's allies are a bit forgettable. The Pixl characters are a bit of wasted potential, since unlike Mario's partners of the previous games (the direct predecessor especially), they remain silent and essentially blend into the background for the rest of the game after their introduction cutscene.

The game's main flaw is its gameplay, which, while not terrible, and actually blending platforming and RPG elements in an interesting way, does get a bit stale and repetitive after a while.

But, if you can look past the the gameplay flaws, you'll find a decent game that still maintains the spirit of the Paper Mario series in its incredible story.
  33. Nov 27, 2015
    Super Paper Mario really delivers the awesomeness although it isn't entirely an RPG.The graphics are really good and some of the music is really catchy!This is a must own for anyone who has a Wii or Wii U as it is stunning!
  34. Jul 11, 2012
    I was disappointed at the lack of the previous paper mario combat style but the familiar mario 2D style was interesting. compared to previous Mario rpg's the story isn't that great, while good it didn't live up to Paper mario: The thousand year door. overall it's a good game, and a great addition to the wii's library.
  35. Feb 9, 2014
    I Absolutely LOVE this game! horrible graphics but yet the best game ever! I like the fact that Mario is 2d and totally paper like! I got stuck on one crappy level... but its okay. my Mario love!
  36. Mar 23, 2015
    Simply fun, funny, cool and awesome. This is the best game on the Wii to me, the only problem with it is; Always carry an Ipad when playing because the puzzles are really hard to solve and almost clueless. Overall, it's the best Paper Mario game ever made.
  37. Dec 30, 2012
    Meh. The gameplay is bad now, you still level up but there is no turn battle, and instead of partners you get pixels who have like one use. The replay value is even worse and the chapters weren't that good. Get the first two, this is good for about 1 or 2 playthroughs, still fun, but isn't comparable to the originals.
  38. Oct 26, 2012
    Hard game, good game like all Mario's games! A lot of time of play. Fantastic graphic! !
  39. Jul 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I feel we will never come across a game in general like super paper mario. going into some rooms thinking.... what? am i supposed to wait, but than realizing you have to flip into 3-D. and the final boss*spoiler alert* how dimentio just tries to kill count bleck is just awesome*spoilers end here*and i don't know which this game is.. more colorful or more dark? oh well but all in all, a great game. Expand
  40. Apr 17, 2011
    I did enjoy the game, quite a lot, but I have played and beaten both the original Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door and I much say they were much better. Better story, combat, depth and replay value. They dropped the really nice action command RPG game-play and replaced it with a fairly oversimplified action game. The 2D - 3D element was fairly cool but became too predictable and didn'tI did enjoy the game, quite a lot, but I have played and beaten both the original Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door and I much say they were much better. Better story, combat, depth and replay value. They dropped the really nice action command RPG game-play and replaced it with a fairly oversimplified action game. The 2D - 3D element was fairly cool but became too predictable and didn't provide much proper challenge, but there were bits that did give me some good entertainment through some clever puzzles and interesting level designs and I have to say that it is a good game, just in hindsight I found myself thinking all the way through - this could've worked better as a continuation to TYD... now I'm not afraid of change, but there were elements of Thousand Year Door that could've been done better that they could have applied to this game. What instead we got was a good game - but really, feels like a missed opportunity to be a great game. Expand
  41. Aug 15, 2013
    Super Paper Mario is the third Paper Mario Game in the series. SPM is a very dark game for a Mario Game but has a very great story and takes quite a long time to complete the game. The weak point of this game is that the game really doesn't let you explore Flipside for the majority of the game.
  42. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The puzzles were cool. The overall game was decent, wasn't too difficult. Was extra fun as you got to play as many different of the Mario characters, not just Mario the whole way through. It was slightly childish in its execution, and at times slightly boring, and other times annoying. But overall was fun to play through. Expand
  43. Nov 9, 2013
    Most of the Mario games out there have the basic storyline: Peach has been kidnapped by Bowser, and Mario must save her. While that's the standard story, the Paper Mario series strays from that path and takes on its own story.
    This is the only Paper Mario game I've played, so it'll be reviewed as an individual game rather than a sequel.
    The story of this game is that an evil sorcerer

The story of this game is that an evil sorcerer named Count Bleck has used to the powers of the Chaos Heart to open a void in the dimensions that would soon destroy all worlds. Mario, with the help of a butterfly named Tippi, must find all of the Pure Hearts to cancel out the Chaos Heart. While you're playing the game, there'll be little cutscenes that are nothing but texts on a black screen. These scenes narrate a tragic love story and actually play a big part in the overall conclusion. Throughout the game, there are many humorous scenes and events that actually make me laugh out loud. At the same time, there are moments that shock me, and some that even make me want to cry. Most Mario games are unoriginal with their stories, but this one is truly deep, worthy of a novel.

In Super Paper Mario, you go through the side-scrolling 2-D world. There is a twist though: you get to flip it to 3-D and see the world in that perspective. There are limits to the ability, but. it contributes to the puzzle solving aspect of this game. Another factor in the puzzle solving of the game are little helpers called Pixls. You find a few of these little fairy-type creatures and they all have their own power, including making you super thin, allowing you to float over surfaces, and one being a giant hammer. There are other powers and if you're ever having trouble, all of these unique personalities might help you in your troubles. Also, you don't just get to play as Mario, but Peach, Luigi, and even Bowser. You can switch over from one to the other if ever the puzzle calls for it as each of them has their own unique ability as well.

I must make it clear that in order to play this game, you must have a certain level of patience. This is a twenty hour game and about four of those hours can be you figuring out where you're supposed to go and what you're supposed to do, wandering around blindly and hoping that you'll stumble across the answer. When you do find the answer though, it makes you feel very satisfied with your problem solving skills. And in the 3-D world, while it's cool that you can do that, it's not very detailed. It feels like a barren wasteland and it doesn't do much for me. In fact, there were some parts of the game that seemed to be put there just to consume your time.

While it's a puzzle solving game, it's also an RPG where defeating enemies levels you up, giving you more life and more strength. You can buy items or pick them up from place to place, all serving their special purpose such as healing you or making you more powerful for a certain amount of time. The mechanics of this particular RPG are simple but it's presented very well.

The soundtrack of this game is wonderful in my opinion. Like I said, you might be spending hours on end finding out where you're supposed to go. That's what happened to me. And the soundtrack made it bearable, with some worlds having a jumpy, distorted but cheerful sounding tone, and others having a grand orchestral arrangement set up. All of it, even the boss fights, sets the mood of each world wonderfully and I don't have any complaints.

It's not the very best Mario game I've played, but it's certainly up there. If you have patience for running around and wasting your time on trivial activities, I say pick this game up. It has a beautiful story and nice (even if flawed) gameplay mechanic.
  44. Apr 30, 2014
    This game wasn't bad but it was a bit of a disappointment. When it came out i thought it would be similar to the first 2, especially by looking at the box art. I did enjoy this game alot but it didnt even come close to the first 2 Paper Marios. Not only was the gameplay much different, the game was WAY to easy for me, i can get through the game without getting a game over. It was still funThis game wasn't bad but it was a bit of a disappointment. When it came out i thought it would be similar to the first 2, especially by looking at the box art. I did enjoy this game alot but it didnt even come close to the first 2 Paper Marios. Not only was the gameplay much different, the game was WAY to easy for me, i can get through the game without getting a game over. It was still fun but like i said, not the same. What was worse is that there was no turn based battling, but still leveling up which gave you a purpose to fighting enemies unlike Sticker Star. Most of the Pixls in the game were useless for most of the game. And the chapters were very short, on top of the game being easy with short levels it just got boring Expand
  45. Feb 13, 2016
    Those who dislike this game probably only played the first 1/2 chapters of the game. Granted, they are the weakest chapters in the game, but after that it really picks up. I mean, you get to go into space!
    The music, like most Nintendo games is brilliant. I can't think of a single Nintendo game off the top of my head with bad music.
    The story is incredible (especially for a Mario game):
    The story is incredible (especially for a Mario game): not just plain ol' cookie-cutter "Bowser kidnaps Peach: Mario save Peach". I'm looking at YOU, Sticker Star.
    The gameplay. Oh boy, the gameplay. It's a platformer, unlike the other Paper Mario series, with some RPG elements in it (level ups, increasing HP bar etc.). It's still as good as the other games, and it expands on the partner system: you get Pixls (the equivalent of partners), and different characters to play as (Mario, Peach, Bowser & Luigi). You're not stuck as one character and only one character the whole game. I'm looking at YOU, Sticker Star.
    In general, almost everything about this game is good. The only things I don't really like are the first two chapters and the fact that you don't get Luigi until near the end of the game, but that's pretty much it.
    I mean, you get to go into space!
  46. Jun 12, 2016
    This game is one the best mario games that i have ever played. It has amazing puzzles and beatiful levels. Th3 thing that i liked the most is that it isn't like any of most of mario games. Specifically, the story is nothing like the classic one and the game is written very well. I enjoyed a lot this game and i believe that is one of the best out there for the wii console.
  47. May 15, 2012
    +Different playable characters, +Different ways to approach classic Mario combat, +Re-playable levels, +A Mario story where Bowser isn't the antagonist. -Complete removal of the RPG system from the past 2 Paper Mario games, -Using the "Score" as an EXP system is sort of redundant. Although this game is different from the last two, I enjoyed it. Nintendo/IS should have named this game+Different playable characters, +Different ways to approach classic Mario combat, +Re-playable levels, +A Mario story where Bowser isn't the antagonist. -Complete removal of the RPG system from the past 2 Paper Mario games, -Using the "Score" as an EXP system is sort of redundant. Although this game is different from the last two, I enjoyed it. Nintendo/IS should have named this game something else to avoid confusion from avid Mario RPG fans. Expand
  48. Oct 1, 2013
    truly Nintendo has given up on the gaming industry. a game like paper mario should be ripped up and thrown in the trash. the 2d is okay I guess, but when you switch it to 3d you think something awesome is going to happen but nothing does. plus you slowly lose life in 3d. the worst and most overated game on the wii. no bowser are you fricken kidding me. i say rip paper mario up and throwtruly Nintendo has given up on the gaming industry. a game like paper mario should be ripped up and thrown in the trash. the 2d is okay I guess, but when you switch it to 3d you think something awesome is going to happen but nothing does. plus you slowly lose life in 3d. the worst and most overated game on the wii. no bowser are you fricken kidding me. i say rip paper mario up and throw him in the trash Kirby epic yarn Expand
  49. Jun 22, 2014
    It's really unfortunate that this game is so overlooked. To me, this game gets far too much hate. I think it's time for me to put in my two cents.. Most people's opinions on this game are sorely based on nostalgia. I guarantee if this game didn't have the title of "Paper Mario", everyone would've loved it. Because of the two previous games being masterpieces, it really raised expectationsIt's really unfortunate that this game is so overlooked. To me, this game gets far too much hate. I think it's time for me to put in my two cents.. Most people's opinions on this game are sorely based on nostalgia. I guarantee if this game didn't have the title of "Paper Mario", everyone would've loved it. Because of the two previous games being masterpieces, it really raised expectations for a sequel. I will say, though, my thoughts are different for Sticker Star. The idea seems forced. As if someone was like, "Paper... paper..... STICKERS!! Omfg genius"
    Anyway, Super Paper Mario, to me, is a brilliant game. It's awesome in it's own right. It has plenty of replay value. The story is amazing, and so is the dialogue. Yes, it is one of the easiest games I have ever played, but I had a blast playing it. I've played through it a considerable amount of times, and it has yet to get old.
    It's really fun trying to find all the secrets. One of my only complaints, is why do you have to go through Flopside's Pit of 100 Trials twice? XD and Chapter 6 is a bit boring :P
  50. Mar 14, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's quite different from the original style, but surprisingly, it's my 2nd favorite.
    Instead of a RPG it's a platformer, but the story is even better than TTYD's. It's more emotional, and i bet some people cried at the ending. The story is brilliant, the creativity is extreme for this game, it's fantastic.
    While it's a platformer with "levels" on it, it has a leveling up system where your HP and POW will increase by time, so the original gameplay is not totally let down. And the fact that you can control 4 (Mario, Peach, Bowser and Luigi) different characters WITH a partner (Which you can select on the menu) and Tippi (Which is actually a partner too) is brilliant. And there are vital secrets which you need to find with the help of Tippi, or else you won't be able to progress trough the story.

As i said, it's my 2nd favorite Paper Mario game, but wait... Paper Mario was a RPG not a platformer, how can you consider that a Paper Mario game? Because of its charm, the charm that this game has makes it a Paper Mario game.
  51. Nov 15, 2015
    Its a departure from the last but still enjoyable the music fits the areas perfectly the characters
    would have rated 10 if it wasnt for the NAVI butterfly thing
  52. Nov 29, 2012
    Super Paper Mario is a wildly original and innovative addition to the paper mario library. The gameplay is kept fresh by changing the style of play entirely. Instead of a turn based battle system, mario now traverses 2d environments with the ability to flip into 3d to solve puzzles and find new areas, and the battles are now real time. The story has once again been improved. This gameSuper Paper Mario is a wildly original and innovative addition to the paper mario library. The gameplay is kept fresh by changing the style of play entirely. Instead of a turn based battle system, mario now traverses 2d environments with the ability to flip into 3d to solve puzzles and find new areas, and the battles are now real time. The story has once again been improved. This game features one of the darkest and best stories of any mario game. Other notable additions, without spoiling anything, is the inclusion of playing as characters besides mario. The party members are back, but unfortunately they are given little roles besides puzzle solving and have little personality. Despite all of these changes, this game does not match the greatness of its two prequels. The story is slow at times, the dialogue lengthy, and the gameplay can get repetitive later on. However, although this cannot compare to the near perfection of its two prequels, super paper mario is a great, fresh game that changes up the paper mario formula. Expand
  53. Jul 13, 2015
    This game is a step down from the original two, but not by much. Chapter 7 is the best chapter of the game. I would recommend this game to anybody who is a fan of the series.
  54. Mar 12, 2016
    It has a nice new mechanic with the 2D to 3D switching and while it can be a little finicky it works well. I do not like how the turn based battles were removed and i feel that they really could have fit well as it brings it closer to generic Mario play style. Granted I loved how involved the Mario characters were in the plot, each one of them had a purpose. There were extremelyIt has a nice new mechanic with the 2D to 3D switching and while it can be a little finicky it works well. I do not like how the turn based battles were removed and i feel that they really could have fit well as it brings it closer to generic Mario play style. Granted I loved how involved the Mario characters were in the plot, each one of them had a purpose. There were extremely interesting villains, the love and betrayal in this game were so good. The reason that this game is not getting a 10 of 10 is because of the combat system becoming in world as compared to the last paper Mario, and maybe the lack of variety in locations. It was still good though and i have played through it a few times, so I would recommend it. Expand
  55. Mar 12, 2016
    Super Paper Mario is a departure from the traditional Paper Mario style of gameplay, abandoning the old turn-based battles in favor of an Action RPG system combining platforming with an RPG-style battle system. In place of badges, players now get a set of characters with their own abilities. The most notable is Mario's own, the ability to "flip" between 2D and 3D, revealing hidden areas orSuper Paper Mario is a departure from the traditional Paper Mario style of gameplay, abandoning the old turn-based battles in favor of an Action RPG system combining platforming with an RPG-style battle system. In place of badges, players now get a set of characters with their own abilities. The most notable is Mario's own, the ability to "flip" between 2D and 3D, revealing hidden areas or platforms and adding an extra layer to what would otherwise be fairly basic platforming. Partners have been replaced with Pixls, floating companions that with special effects such as allowing you to grab and throw items, turn into a bomb or a floating platform, or letting you turn sideways to get through narrow passages. While fun, the Pixls have much less personality than the partners in past games did, making them nice for gameplay but not so nice to have as characters.

The plot is interesting, but more serious this time, focusing on stopping the end of all worlds. The series' usual humor is still present, but sometimes clashes a bit with some of the more serious moments. As in past games, each chapter has its own sub-plot and location. The characters are as lively and unique as always, with many of the new characters having a "blocky" look to them, a visual quirk shared by the new locations.

Overall, Super Paper Mario is a great game, but the new gameplay feels a little weaker thanks to being very reminiscent of the main Mario games, and the tonal dissonance present in the cutscenes at times weakens the plot a little. Still, if you enjoyed the earlier Paper Mario games, like platformers, or just appreciate games with a good story and characters, Super Paper Mario is definitely a game worth playing.
  56. Nov 13, 2011
    The game is funny, charming, consistently inventive, but the hybrid of sidescrolling platforming action on traditional RPG gameplay, in the end, feels horrible. This game goes against everything I was taught as a gamer. It takes away my beloved dash button.

57. Jan 14, 2014
    Most people think that Paper Mario isn't as good as other Mario games- but it is that good! People should try it! It's a really good good game. He looks really small and he doesn't get big when he gets a mushroom, he just gets more points. You have to fight Count Bleck at the very end. That's the part I'm in fact right now stuck on.

jonah age 5
  58. Dec 12, 2011
    Another game I have yet to play, but I have seen the trailer and it does look fun. Better than the first 2 But of course I can't say until I've played it and know what it's truly like. But from reviews it seems fun.
  59. Mar 4, 2013
    One of my all time favorites. Great level design, nice story, cool and engaging gameplay. Best mario game since super mario world in my opinion, despite being text heavy, and certainly the best of the series.
  60. Aug 17, 2013
    A very disappointing title to say the least. The ideas are really cool and fresh originally, but the game suffers far too much from mindless backtracking. There are many stages where you simply must wander the area finding the right door or switch to progress through the game. Even speedrunning on a second playthrough, where all of the backtracking is known does nothing to help the game'sA very disappointing title to say the least. The ideas are really cool and fresh originally, but the game suffers far too much from mindless backtracking. There are many stages where you simply must wander the area finding the right door or switch to progress through the game. Even speedrunning on a second playthrough, where all of the backtracking is known does nothing to help the game's abysmal pacing. Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door had many poor backtracking segments as well, but those were somewhat avoidable. Very cool ideas, and very good implementation are in it's favor but some of the worst level design I have every seen hold back what should have been a very fun and unique platformer. If you're a fan of the Paper Mario series (as I am) I would probably rent it or borrow it from a friend, but it's not worth buying, even used. Expand
  61. Mar 12, 2016
    While this wasn't quite as focused on exploration like TTYD, I loved this game. I thought the three d mechanic worked well for what it was trying to accomplish and add a good level of depth. My main complaint was that it felt too much like a regular Mario game with the 2d side scrolling. However, the game's story and powerful array of character really brought it to life and made the gameWhile this wasn't quite as focused on exploration like TTYD, I loved this game. I thought the three d mechanic worked well for what it was trying to accomplish and add a good level of depth. My main complaint was that it felt too much like a regular Mario game with the 2d side scrolling. However, the game's story and powerful array of character really brought it to life and made the game memorable. Expand
  62. KurtizW.
    May 29, 2007
    Simple smooth clean colorful graphic with original 2D -> 3D concept...I love the slight RPG and puzzle solving element of the game...by far my fav Wii game for now!
  63. Joe
    May 20, 2007
    I feel exactly how Steve E. feels toward this game. There are some really boring parts in this game. Running in the wheel for 6 minutes was horrible, typing please 8 times to get a clue was annoying, then having the clue be a 30 step process that needs to be written down.........Also the ninja level..... I am currently on the 8th world and cant wait to beat it so i can sell it on ebay. I feel exactly how Steve E. feels toward this game. There are some really boring parts in this game. Running in the wheel for 6 minutes was horrible, typing please 8 times to get a clue was annoying, then having the clue be a 30 step process that needs to be written down.........Also the ninja level..... I am currently on the 8th world and cant wait to beat it so i can sell it on ebay. Painfully boring at parts and the game is too easy, big letdown and over hyped IMO After you beat it once why would you want to play this again?????? Super Mario RPG is 1000x better. Expand
  64. AndrewL.
    Jan 14, 2009
    I knew when buying it it wasnt the gamecube/n64 style it used to be and i was still disappointed. fingers are still crossed for a new turn based paper mario on the wii, however the gameplay is surprisingly fun, its a shame its so short though! paper mario games are usually so long, for such a visually simple game it should definitely have been expanded, a LOT. i often wish i never traded I knew when buying it it wasnt the gamecube/n64 style it used to be and i was still disappointed. fingers are still crossed for a new turn based paper mario on the wii, however the gameplay is surprisingly fun, its a shame its so short though! paper mario games are usually so long, for such a visually simple game it should definitely have been expanded, a LOT. i often wish i never traded it back but unfortunately immediately after beating it i felt like id never touch it again. after all there is a LOT of story based on mystery to plow through, once you already know the big secret (which was obvious within the 2nd or 3rd chapter) its just a lot of boring chatter to skip through. still, the game is a nice one to keep, i sure wish it was still in my collection, just for funsies. Expand
  65. AaronC.
    Apr 15, 2007
    Stunning. I had to keep playing to find out what happens, not like FF7 where you didn't enjoy playing to find out, but you will be enjoying SPM.
  66. FojakV
    Apr 16, 2007
    Great game, innovative, engaging. The strory in the beginning is a bit slow. Decent graphics, good scheme control and continues the quality of any other Mario related games. Play it now !!
  67. JamalJ.
    Apr 17, 2007
    It rocks. Best game out for the Wii right now no question.
  68. BlockHR
    Apr 10, 2007
    Once you get past the cutesiness and skip some of the admittedly stupid story scenes (although there are random LOLs in there) the gameplay is cracking, the effects are fresh and it makes perfect use of the wiimote (i.e. doesn't force it on you, just accentuates gameplay). great if you are going to explode before galaxy comes out. if you liked paper mario AT ALL this is by far the Once you get past the cutesiness and skip some of the admittedly stupid story scenes (although there are random LOLs in there) the gameplay is cracking, the effects are fresh and it makes perfect use of the wiimote (i.e. doesn't force it on you, just accentuates gameplay). great if you are going to explode before galaxy comes out. if you liked paper mario AT ALL this is by far the best wii game to come out yet Expand
  69. SamJ.
    Apr 21, 2007
    This game just has great gameplay. Two thumbs up!
  70. SteveE.
    Apr 22, 2007
    My wife loves this game, but me, not so much. I love, absolutely love, the old 2D Mario games. But this game is slow-paced and unexciting. There's a painful amount of lengthy dialog and backtracking. Two examples: having to run in a hamster wheel for 6 minutes or walk in a totally blank (white) level in one direction for 4 minutes. It's pointless, and you can't skip it. The My wife loves this game, but me, not so much. I love, absolutely love, the old 2D Mario games. But this game is slow-paced and unexciting. There's a painful amount of lengthy dialog and backtracking. Two examples: having to run in a hamster wheel for 6 minutes or walk in a totally blank (white) level in one direction for 4 minutes. It's pointless, and you can't skip it. The gameplay is fun when it's there, even though it mostly amounts to looking for keys to locked doors. I miss being able to hit a "run" button like all of the earlier Marios. Mario only moves at "walk" pace. He can't pick up shells now without the help of a Pixl, either. Where's the fun in that? This is the worst Mario game I've ever played, but it's still a Mario game. It's fun at times, just not constantly fun like earlier games. Expand
  71. DavidD.
    Jun 10, 2007
    A very neat game. It still has the humour from te previous Paper Mario's, but it lacks the RPG element. The flipping between 2-D and 3-D is fun for a while, but it wears of fairly quick. If you are a fan of the series, it is worth a play through. The game is pretty straight forward and pretty easy. Rent it first too see if you like it or wait till it drops in price.
  72. GregK.
    Jul 12, 2007
    Another Nintendo classic. An interesting blend of platforming and rpg. I have to disagree with some of the others, the level design is excellent. Switching between 2d and 3d is a brilliant innovation. I just wish you could do it with more than just Mario. All in all a must have for wii owners and Mario fans alike.
  73. AnonymousMC
    Jul 15, 2007
    A brilliant game which, like the others in the series, I aim to beat multiple times. So far, its a a hard choice between this and Twilight Princess for the best game on the Wii so far. This game rocks! From its poor, yet, somehow, hilarious puns, to stunning art nouveau visuals ( Look at the trees ^^), joined with innovative yet simple gameplay design! I love it!
  74. GlenC.
    Jul 24, 2007
    This game was a pain to get through. The gameplay was boring and frustrating for me, but admittedly I don't like rpg elements of most games. Some of the dialogue was pretty good (a lot of dialogue), and the visuals were very pretty. I can't complain about the control scheme except that I didn't see any of the style controls mentioned anywhere until after I beat the game. This game was a pain to get through. The gameplay was boring and frustrating for me, but admittedly I don't like rpg elements of most games. Some of the dialogue was pretty good (a lot of dialogue), and the visuals were very pretty. I can't complain about the control scheme except that I didn't see any of the style controls mentioned anywhere until after I beat the game. Probably my fault. I just didn't like this game all that much. It dragged on. Expand
  75. DonnaF.
    Jul 29, 2007
    I am in my fifties and bought this for the exercise fun of the wii. If this is fun then we grown a generation of people with retarded development. Unbelievably boring, too many words. Big waste of money for the boomers who are looking to use their wiis and have a bit of sport. Smooth moves and wii sports are better. The 45 minute opening intro is absurd. Trash material. If I wanted to I am in my fifties and bought this for the exercise fun of the wii. If this is fun then we grown a generation of people with retarded development. Unbelievably boring, too many words. Big waste of money for the boomers who are looking to use their wiis and have a bit of sport. Smooth moves and wii sports are better. The 45 minute opening intro is absurd. Trash material. If I wanted to read I would have curled up with a book. Expand
  76. MartyM.
    Sep 15, 2007
    I really wanted to like this game but what a let down. The artwork looks like it has been done by a 3 year old. I know its 'Paper' mario but its not as if it even looks like paper - it just looks rubbish. The story is dull and pointless with endless text to wade through. The 2D sidescrolling element of the game is its best feature although even this was done better on the SNES - I really wanted to like this game but what a let down. The artwork looks like it has been done by a 3 year old. I know its 'Paper' mario but its not as if it even looks like paper - it just looks rubbish. The story is dull and pointless with endless text to wade through. The 2D sidescrolling element of the game is its best feature although even this was done better on the SNES - so many of the 'classic' character functions are missing (ground pounds, flowers that allow mario to throw fireballs etc). The flip into 3D is again a let down as the 3D looks so poor and the novelty of it wears very quickly. Despite its claims, the flipping between 2D and 3D does little to enhance the game as its always the same everytime you get a bit stuck; "Damn Im stuck, Ill flip it into 3D.....oh there we go." I really was looking forward to this game but find it amazing anyone can give it anymore than a 5/10. Expand
  77. Ian
    Sep 4, 2007
    A great game. It plays like the super mario bros of old but has rpg elements like the older paper mario games. its really enjoyable. and I actually like the dialogue which is really funny (although it did stretch on). the problem is that the game, although fun, is far too easy for hardcore gamers to last more then a weak and a half and the game was originally for the gamecube, so it A great game. It plays like the super mario bros of old but has rpg elements like the older paper mario games. its really enjoyable. and I actually like the dialogue which is really funny (although it did stretch on). the problem is that the game, although fun, is far too easy for hardcore gamers to last more then a weak and a half and the game was originally for the gamecube, so it didn't really fully take advantage of the wii's motion features. Expand
  78. SimonG.
    Sep 5, 2007
    Here I am, commenting the fourth best game on the Wii according to all the critics. First, I think Super Mario Bros is by far the best 2D platformer series ever, period. Second, I don
  79. superwesman
    May 4, 2008
    I found this game to be exceptionally tedious. I bought it because it was in the top 10 here at metacritic and was completely disappointed. Other games like metroid prime and mario galaxy are quite good and worthy of the high ranks. I don't see how this slipped through the cracks. The dialogue is mind numbing and there is a lot to be desired in terms of game play. Maybe little kids I found this game to be exceptionally tedious. I bought it because it was in the top 10 here at metacritic and was completely disappointed. Other games like metroid prime and mario galaxy are quite good and worthy of the high ranks. I don't see how this slipped through the cracks. The dialogue is mind numbing and there is a lot to be desired in terms of game play. Maybe little kids would enjoy it. Expand
  80. JulianA.
    May 4, 2008
    Awesome game. I love the way you can switch between 2-D and 3-D. I also love the creepiness of the Void, and the switch blocks. It has so many cool features and levels, I love it!
  81. WayneKerr
    Apr 10, 2009
    i like all mario games
    this one had way too much dialogue but everything else is fun. the ending was annoying but apparently you can get tippi back by collecting all the catch cards. then you get a pixl who takes you to where tippi and count bleck are. Im trying it now :)
  82. ForrestJ.
    Jul 16, 2009
    This game is the best game ever. I love how it's rpg but you don't have to take turns attacking and defending, you can attack and avoid way easier than other and it's hilarious and will keep bordome away. One said you could beat it in a weekend, well I think he's a video game addict and got very little extra's cause it's a long funny and game that I think is This game is the best game ever. I love how it's rpg but you don't have to take turns attacking and defending, you can attack and avoid way easier than other and it's hilarious and will keep bordome away. One said you could beat it in a weekend, well I think he's a video game addict and got very little extra's cause it's a long funny and game that I think is the best game ever. Expand
  83. JoshC.
    Oct 19, 2007
    I picked this up cheap (£20) because it was on offer. I would happily have paid almost double that. The gameplay, graphics, story (what i've seen of it) and concept are all superb. And above all else, this a game that is just so gleeful in what it does it's impossible not to love it, I waited to pick it up because i was unsure of what to expect, I shouldn't have and I picked this up cheap (£20) because it was on offer. I would happily have paid almost double that. The gameplay, graphics, story (what i've seen of it) and concept are all superb. And above all else, this a game that is just so gleeful in what it does it's impossible not to love it, I waited to pick it up because i was unsure of what to expect, I shouldn't have and neither should anyone else. Expand
  84. TotalJ.
    Oct 30, 2007
    I gave this a shot because it's a Mario game and because the graphics and art style are appealing. The game itself is a tedious journey. I admit I didn't finish the game, probably didn't even get halfway. 2d and 3d? Big deal. This game has very little action or strategy. Rent it and see, but don't buy blind or you'll probably regret it.
  85. NospamNoSpam
    Apr 13, 2007
    Elementary game play. Same tired familiar game play, same tired familiar characters, same tired familiar story. Mediocre graphics. A total bore.
  86. TomP.
    Apr 16, 2007
    Really fun game. One of the best on the Wii. If you love the gameplay of the older mario games, you should check this one out.
  87. MikeK.
    Apr 17, 2007
    Great old school gameplay. Tons of unskippable text and repetitive fetch quests keep it from being perfect.
  88. KevinC.
    Apr 17, 2007
    Great game. In my oppinion, out of all of the Wii games so far, it is only bested by Zelda (and maybe Wii Sports, but that's a different genre all-together). It is fun and addicting. My only comlaint is that at times the dialogue gets a little long-winded.
  89. JoeL.
    Apr 17, 2007
    Too easy, too much text, very little fighting, too short. paper mario 2 is my favorite game, this is not half as much fun.
  90. A.D.Olson
    Apr 20, 2007
    A very, very basic game, with a boring storyline that's overdone. The platforming is not challenging in any way, shape, or form, and the only RPG elements that were left in were the annoying ones such as stupid run here, run there, talk to someone, and read more than you read through all of high school. The flipping to 3D is more annoying than anything else, and the presentation A very, very basic game, with a boring storyline that's overdone. The platforming is not challenging in any way, shape, or form, and the only RPG elements that were left in were the annoying ones such as stupid run here, run there, talk to someone, and read more than you read through all of high school. The flipping to 3D is more annoying than anything else, and the presentation loses a lot of polish when you're using component cables, in comparison to the 2D look and feel. All is not lost, however, as there are a few throwbacks to classic games and other Nintendo fanboyish things, and for that I gave it a few bonus points. I hope that there is a RUN ability in the next Mario game that Nintendo bothers to push out to us (or better yet, make a new IP rather than continually re-using Mario). Expand
  91. KDep
    Apr 24, 2007
    Why are you reading this? You're wasting valuable SPM playing time... Seriously it's that good. I can't recommend this game enough, especially coming from an old NES fan. There's a lot of nostalgia in this game for the older gamers and lots of new and fun stuff as well. Music is great, learning curve is excellent and the game is funny and exciting. Go and get it - NOW!
  92. TroyB.
    Apr 6, 2007
    This is the best Paper Mario game yet, and a very unique game incorporating so many different elements from very different but equally classic genres, making it an instant classic in my opinion. Easily the sleeper hit of the season!
  93. AshleyA.
    May 22, 2007
    Excellent and so much mario and friends fun, the pixls are awesome too! best wii game i have played yet..
  94. JoeB.
    May 6, 2007
    this is a fun and exciting game. there is alot of talking at some parts but still a nessesity for your wii
  95. AndrewG.
    May 9, 2007
    SPM's presentation is beautiful and nostalgic, but the gameplay is pretty boring. There are maybe 3 parts of the game (other than the pits of 100 trials) where the platforming is interesting. The 2D/3D mechanic is an extremely cool idea, but was not implemented particularly well. It becomes tedious because you have to constantly switch to 3D in order to make sure that you aren't SPM's presentation is beautiful and nostalgic, but the gameplay is pretty boring. There are maybe 3 parts of the game (other than the pits of 100 trials) where the platforming is interesting. The 2D/3D mechanic is an extremely cool idea, but was not implemented particularly well. It becomes tedious because you have to constantly switch to 3D in order to make sure that you aren't missing any secrets. In addition, while the writing is very funny, and some of the story elements of the chapters are well developed, it is really tiresome to be constantly reading. The worst part, in fact, is the beginning of the game because it takes way too long for the action to start. To top it off, the game is incredibly easy - the bosses, in particular, are complete jokes. If it weren't for the pits of 100 trials, the cool art style, and the (mostly gimmicky, but still interesting) 2D/3D mechanic, I would not recommend SPM. As it is though, I definitely recommend buying the game, even though it sadly failed to meet my expectations. Expand
  96. Lolrandomname
    Jun 15, 2007
    Awesome game! Yes, it's a bit slow in parts, but most of it was fun. And there is admittedly maybe a BIT too much text, but most of it is funny. Simply an awesome game, with a nice mix of rpg and platforming elements. Btw, to the people scoring this low: "I like going online and complaining about games I haven't played."
  97. MaryaP.
    Jun 16, 2007
    It's cute, don't get me wrong, but this game seems as though it's best suited for kids aged 5-7 who really like to read. I was reading for about 45 min. before seeing actual game play, which is pretty easy. It's a great game if you're buying for kids, the characters are cute and pretty witty, but I wouldn't recommend it for grown ups. I guess nothing can It's cute, don't get me wrong, but this game seems as though it's best suited for kids aged 5-7 who really like to read. I was reading for about 45 min. before seeing actual game play, which is pretty easy. It's a great game if you're buying for kids, the characters are cute and pretty witty, but I wouldn't recommend it for grown ups. I guess nothing can really compare to those old Mario games from back in the day. Expand
  98. NeilB.
    Jun 16, 2007
    Super Paper Mario is a terribly boring game. The gameplay, when you get to it, is reasonable enough, but there's always some idiotic conversation you have to scroll through (hint: 1+2 fast forwards each dialog; there seems to be no "shut the heck up" option for the game overall). Level design is ok, but nothing nearly as well thought out as New Super Mario Bros (DS). Pass on this Super Paper Mario is a terribly boring game. The gameplay, when you get to it, is reasonable enough, but there's always some idiotic conversation you have to scroll through (hint: 1+2 fast forwards each dialog; there seems to be no "shut the heck up" option for the game overall). Level design is ok, but nothing nearly as well thought out as New Super Mario Bros (DS). Pass on this one. Play Wii sports instead. Expand
  99. NathanB.
    Jun 17, 2007
    This first world is a little boring, and there is too much talking throughout- but overall it is a breath of life into a world platform games that continue to use the same formulas. With game play that lasts nearly 30 hours, and tons of side projects- you won't be disappointed.
  100. ScottH.
    Jun 20, 2007
    Gameplay is solid but switching between characters is interuptive.

#2 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2007
#3 Most Shared Wii Game of 2007

1. Play Magazine
    It feels and looks polished, considerate, and expensive. [Apr 2007, p.40]
  2. Anyone with half a heart will absolutely fall in love with the characters, the graphics, the dialogue, the old-school shout-outs to previous games, the little visual effects lingering in the skies of every world... the love just keeps plopping out of the speakers at an incredible rate. For every annoying, excessively long fetch quest or mundane puzzle, there's a huge, cutesy payoff that makes all the trouble worthwhile.
    It controls tightly and uses the Wii remote in a smart manner without stepping into forced territory. The new 2D-to-3D dynamic is built around clever and surprisingly complex puzzles that will challenge and impress you. And it all comes together to make Super Paper Mario a highly enjoyable title, whether you want to call it a platformer, an RPG, or something in-between.