Super Paper Mario Wii

7.9

1. KurtizW.
    May 29, 2007
    Simple smooth clean colorful graphic with original 2D -> 3D concept...I love the slight RPG and puzzle solving element of the game...by far my fav Wii game for now!
  2. Apr 1, 2016
    A great game with a great art style. Game play is ok, but story and writing are amazing. Bet you never expected a Mario title to be basically based on religion. 2D-3D concept is simple and presented well... but it shouldn't be a selling point for this almost-flawless Wii title.
  3. May 15, 2016
    Stunning. I must say one - this game actualy final awesomepart from Paper Mario series. Normal Graphis, cute platforming gameplay, and wonderful storyline. I think even Legend of Zelda not have so storyline, how Super Paper Mario. Actually this game stand in second place in my favorite Paper Mario games))
  4. AndrewL.
    Jan 14, 2009
    I knew when buying it it wasnt the gamecube/n64 style it used to be and i was still disappointed. fingers are still crossed for a new turn based paper mario on the wii, however the gameplay is surprisingly fun, its a shame its so short though! paper mario games are usually so long, for such a visually simple game it should definitely have been expanded, a LOT. i often wish i never traded I knew when buying it it wasnt the gamecube/n64 style it used to be and i was still disappointed. fingers are still crossed for a new turn based paper mario on the wii, however the gameplay is surprisingly fun, its a shame its so short though! paper mario games are usually so long, for such a visually simple game it should definitely have been expanded, a LOT. i often wish i never traded it back but unfortunately immediately after beating it i felt like id never touch it again. after all there is a LOT of story based on mystery to plow through, once you already know the big secret (which was obvious within the 2nd or 3rd chapter) its just a lot of boring chatter to skip through. still, the game is a nice one to keep, i sure wish it was still in my collection, just for funsies. Expand
  5. AaronC.
    Apr 15, 2007
    Stunning. I had to keep playing to find out what happens, not like FF7 where you didn't enjoy playing to find out, but you will be enjoying SPM.
  6. FojakV
    Apr 16, 2007
    Great game, innovative, engaging. The strory in the beginning is a bit slow. Decent graphics, good scheme control and continues the quality of any other Mario related games. Play it now !!
  7. JamalJ.
    Apr 17, 2007
    It rocks. Best game out for the Wii right now no question.
  8. May 25, 2011
    It's really too bad this game gets overlooked, because this game is among the best titles you'll get for Wii. Sure, it lacks the traditional Paper Mario RPG elements, but the unique press-a-button-to-turn-2D-into-3D gameplay is innovative and great. Knock-your-socks-off dialogue is great.
  9. Jul 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I feel we will never come across a game in general like super paper mario. going into some rooms thinking.... what? am i supposed to wait, but than realizing you have to flip into 3-D. and the final boss*spoiler alert* how dimentio just tries to kill count bleck is just awesome*spoilers end here*and i don't know which this game is.. more colorful or more dark? oh well but all in all, a great game. Expand
  10. Sep 30, 2012
    There are games like Super Paper Mario that are terribly misjudged, just because the game is a Action RPG-Platformer means that the game is going to have bad quality, in fact, the game is one of the best Wii games and RPG of this gen.

Let's start off with the gameplay, the factor that drew people away from the game, it is pretty good, despite not being the turn-based combat we all know and love, the platforming brings a breath of fresh air to the Paper Mario franchise, it may not be as good as the normal combat, but it is very fun and somewhat addictive, and the menu interface is overall pretty accesible and easy to use, the gameplay is overall good and fresh.

The presentation, menus are slick and the humor is again there just better than ever, the dialogue is pretty funny, combined with the great story that includes plot twists, emotional moments and GREAT villains, the presentation is of high standards.

The graphics, something i always liked about the Paper Mario franchise was the charming visual style it had, it's still there, the paper characters and very nice backgrounds in 2-D mode, in 3-D mode it still looks pretty nice just not as good as the 2-D mode because the backgrounds in 3-D mode are somewhat empty, overall the graphics are good.

The music, simply fantastic, this game has some of the most underrated soundtracks of any game, and the soundtrack is absolutlely FANTASTIC, the songs fit every situation, level or bosss battle perfectly, this is honestly one of the best soundtracks i´ve heard from any video game, as such, it's a fantastic soundtrack as i mentioned twice before.

The replay value is decent, there's some sidequests here and there and some above-average after game content to keep you playing some extra hours of this game, so you should not quit the game inmediately.

Overall Super Paper Mario is a greatly underrated title, and you should give the game a try, trust me, stop whining about the gameplay and play the game for what it is, a fresh Paper Mario with nostalgic 2-D sidescrolling elements, overall my score for the game is: 9.2
  11. Oct 20, 2013
    This is one of, if not the best Mario games out there. It combines 2D platforming and RPG elements well. Its dialogue is quite long but can be very funny and very well written. There is tons of collectibles, unique and interesting enemies and fun boss fights. A must-have for any Mario fan.
  12. Feb 13, 2016
    Those who dislike this game probably only played the first 1/2 chapters of the game. Granted, they are the weakest chapters in the game, but after that it really picks up. I mean, you get to go into space!
    The music, like most Nintendo games is brilliant. I can't think of a single Nintendo game off the top of my head with bad music.
    The story is incredible (especially for a Mario game):
    The story is incredible (especially for a Mario game): not just plain ol' cookie-cutter "Bowser kidnaps Peach: Mario save Peach". I'm looking at YOU, Sticker Star.
    The gameplay. Oh boy, the gameplay. It's a platformer, unlike the other Paper Mario series, with some RPG elements in it (level ups, increasing HP bar etc.). It's still as good as the other games, and it expands on the partner system: you get Pixls (the equivalent of partners), and different characters to play as (Mario, Peach, Bowser & Luigi). You're not stuck as one character and only one character the whole game. I'm looking at YOU, Sticker Star.
    In general, almost everything about this game is good. The only things I don't really like are the first two chapters and the fact that you don't get Luigi until near the end of the game, but that's pretty much it.
    I mean, you get to go into space!
  13. Mar 14, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's quite different from the original style, but surprisingly, it's my 2nd favorite.
    Instead of a RPG it's a platformer, but the story is even better than TTYD's. It's more emotional, and i bet some people cried at the ending. The story is brilliant, the creativity is extreme for this game, it's fantastic.
    While it's a platformer with "levels" on it, it has a leveling up system where your HP and POW will increase by time, so the original gameplay is not totally let down. And the fact that you can control 4 (Mario, Peach, Bowser and Luigi) different characters WITH a partner (Which you can select on the menu) and Tippi (Which is actually a partner too) is brilliant. And there are vital secrets which you need to find with the help of Tippi, or else you won't be able to progress trough the story.

As i said, it's my 2nd favorite Paper Mario game, but wait... Paper Mario was a RPG not a platformer, how can you consider that a Paper Mario game? Because of its charm, the charm that this game has makes it a Paper Mario game.
  14. Mar 22, 2015
    Unlike most, I played this game's successor Paper Mario: Sticker Star after this one. Thankfully, I found Super Paper Mario to be superior in almost every way.

Since this game is an RPG, it would naturally have an in-depth and engaging story (though Sticker Star begs to differ). SPM delivers with the best story in a Mario game to date, even if that's not too hard to beat. It has innovative gameplay as well. The switching from 2D to 3D mechanic never got old to me and it always opened up new puzzles and pathways.

Super Paper Mario's soundtrack may not be quite as memorable as Sticker Star's but it still holds up with its funky 8-bit like tunes. The Pixls in the game are pixelated fairies that each have specific abilities. One can grab things and one can search for invisible objects, adding a fresh take on the gameplay.

Overall, Super Paper Mario is definitely a game to pick up for your Wii (or Wii U) library. It's a polished game that I can easily recommend over Sticker Star.
  15. Mar 20, 2015
    This game is great. A good start for the Paper Mario Series if ya missed out on the N64 Version. The graphics are okay. The "3D" walking thing is good. The story is awesome. The characters and design were awesome. Super Paper Mario is a VERY great game but I have not played it in AGES.
  16. Jul 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really don't understand how one of the reviewers gave 0 points to this masterpiece. This game may not be a classic Paper Mario game, but overall the best Mario game there. The gameplay is amazing and fun, the humour is really good, and the best thing about this game is the best story to be ever told in a Mario game. It's a story about (SPOILERS) a person losing hope in life who doesn't see a sense in living anymore. It's a story about love and obsession. The final boss was very climatic and had a really good music. Expand
  17. Mar 12, 2016
    It has a nice new mechanic with the 2D to 3D switching and while it can be a little finicky it works well. I do not like how the turn based battles were removed and i feel that they really could have fit well as it brings it closer to generic Mario play style. Granted I loved how involved the Mario characters were in the plot, each one of them had a purpose. There were extremelyIt has a nice new mechanic with the 2D to 3D switching and while it can be a little finicky it works well. I do not like how the turn based battles were removed and i feel that they really could have fit well as it brings it closer to generic Mario play style. Granted I loved how involved the Mario characters were in the plot, each one of them had a purpose. There were extremely interesting villains, the love and betrayal in this game were so good. The reason that this game is not getting a 10 of 10 is because of the combat system becoming in world as compared to the last paper Mario, and maybe the lack of variety in locations. It was still good though and i have played through it a few times, so I would recommend it. Expand
  18. Mar 12, 2016
    While this wasn't quite as focused on exploration like TTYD, I loved this game. I thought the three d mechanic worked well for what it was trying to accomplish and add a good level of depth. My main complaint was that it felt too much like a regular Mario game with the 2d side scrolling. However, the game's story and powerful array of character really brought it to life and made the gameWhile this wasn't quite as focused on exploration like TTYD, I loved this game. I thought the three d mechanic worked well for what it was trying to accomplish and add a good level of depth. My main complaint was that it felt too much like a regular Mario game with the 2d side scrolling. However, the game's story and powerful array of character really brought it to life and made the game memorable. Expand
  19. Jun 12, 2016
    This game is one the best mario games that i have ever played. It has amazing puzzles and beatiful levels. Th3 thing that i liked the most is that it isn't like any of most of mario games. Specifically, the story is nothing like the classic one and the game is written very well. I enjoyed a lot this game and i believe that is one of the best out there for the wii console.
  20. Oct 16, 2012
    Here's my take on this game: The gameplay is fairly simple, but can get REALLY fun. I admit, it is a somewhat easy game, but that's not what compels you to keep playing. That's the story's job. This game has one of the most compelling stories I've ever seen in a video game, let alone a Mario game. It'll occasionally throw a curveball at you, be it a plot twist, character revelation, etc.Here's my take on this game: The gameplay is fairly simple, but can get REALLY fun. I admit, it is a somewhat easy game, but that's not what compels you to keep playing. That's the story's job. This game has one of the most compelling stories I've ever seen in a video game, let alone a Mario game. It'll occasionally throw a curveball at you, be it a plot twist, character revelation, etc. Despite being a Mario game, it can get surprisingly dark, especially in worlds 2, 5, and 6. Combined with beautiful artwork, good level design, and multiple ways of playing, this is a game that is an experience you won't want to miss. Unless you're, I don't know, a prick who hates creativity and a good story? Expand
  21. ForrestJ.
    Jul 16, 2009
    This game is the best game ever. I love how it's rpg but you don't have to take turns attacking and defending, you can attack and avoid way easier than other and it's hilarious and will keep bordome away. One said you could beat it in a weekend, well I think he's a video game addict and got very little extra's cause it's a long funny and game that I think is This game is the best game ever. I love how it's rpg but you don't have to take turns attacking and defending, you can attack and avoid way easier than other and it's hilarious and will keep bordome away. One said you could beat it in a weekend, well I think he's a video game addict and got very little extra's cause it's a long funny and game that I think is the best game ever. Expand
  22. Oct 26, 2012
    Hard game, good game like all Mario's games! A lot of time of play. Fantastic graphic! !
  23. Dec 12, 2011
    Another game I have yet to play, but I have seen the trailer and it does look fun. Better than the first 2 But of course I can't say until I've played it and know what it's truly like. But from reviews it seems fun.
  24. Nov 8, 2012
    This game certainly stands out in the Paper Mario series and even in the entire collection of available Wii games. If you liked the original and/or TTYD for it's RPG elements, this may or may not be a better game for you. Seeing as they changed most of the RPG elements (mostly the fighting style). Although, there is still a progressive story just like the first two. The biggest change,This game certainly stands out in the Paper Mario series and even in the entire collection of available Wii games. If you liked the original and/or TTYD for it's RPG elements, this may or may not be a better game for you. Seeing as they changed most of the RPG elements (mostly the fighting style). Although, there is still a progressive story just like the first two. The biggest change, like I already mentioned, is the battle system. Unlike the first two Paper Mario games, this one has no "getting into battle, choosing weapons" stuff. Basically, like most other Mario games, there is a simple way of defeating enemies. By stomping on them. Although, the game adds new features such as switching from a 2-D perspective to a 3-D perspective, which I found very unique. Pretty good graphics and pretty smooth gameplay included. In the end, the game might not be the best Paper Mario game in my opinion, but it certainly is worth a try, even if you are uncomfortable with the lack of RPG elements, because you might like it. I give it a 9/10. Expand
  25. Nov 29, 2012
    Super Paper Mario is a wildly original and innovative addition to the paper mario library. The gameplay is kept fresh by changing the style of play entirely. Instead of a turn based battle system, mario now traverses 2d environments with the ability to flip into 3d to solve puzzles and find new areas, and the battles are now real time. The story has once again been improved. This gameSuper Paper Mario is a wildly original and innovative addition to the paper mario library. The gameplay is kept fresh by changing the style of play entirely. Instead of a turn based battle system, mario now traverses 2d environments with the ability to flip into 3d to solve puzzles and find new areas, and the battles are now real time. The story has once again been improved. This game features one of the darkest and best stories of any mario game. Other notable additions, without spoiling anything, is the inclusion of playing as characters besides mario. The party members are back, but unfortunately they are given little roles besides puzzle solving and have little personality. Despite all of these changes, this game does not match the greatness of its two prequels. The story is slow at times, the dialogue lengthy, and the gameplay can get repetitive later on. However, although this cannot compare to the near perfection of its two prequels, super paper mario is a great, fresh game that changes up the paper mario formula. Expand
  26. BlockHR
    Apr 10, 2007
    Once you get past the cutesiness and skip some of the admittedly stupid story scenes (although there are random LOLs in there) the gameplay is cracking, the effects are fresh and it makes perfect use of the wiimote (i.e. doesn't force it on you, just accentuates gameplay). great if you are going to explode before galaxy comes out. if you liked paper mario AT ALL this is by far the Once you get past the cutesiness and skip some of the admittedly stupid story scenes (although there are random LOLs in there) the gameplay is cracking, the effects are fresh and it makes perfect use of the wiimote (i.e. doesn't force it on you, just accentuates gameplay). great if you are going to explode before galaxy comes out. if you liked paper mario AT ALL this is by far the best wii game to come out yet Expand
  27. SamJ.
    Apr 21, 2007
    This game just has great gameplay. Two thumbs up!
  28. GregK.
    Jul 12, 2007
    Another Nintendo classic. An interesting blend of platforming and rpg. I have to disagree with some of the others, the level design is excellent. Switching between 2d and 3d is a brilliant innovation. I just wish you could do it with more than just Mario. All in all a must have for wii owners and Mario fans alike.
  29. AnonymousMC
    Jul 15, 2007
    A brilliant game which, like the others in the series, I aim to beat multiple times. So far, its a a hard choice between this and Twilight Princess for the best game on the Wii so far. This game rocks! From its poor, yet, somehow, hilarious puns, to stunning art nouveau visuals ( Look at the trees ^^), joined with innovative yet simple gameplay design! I love it!
  30. Ian
    Sep 4, 2007
    A great game. It plays like the super mario bros of old but has rpg elements like the older paper mario games. its really enjoyable. and I actually like the dialogue which is really funny (although it did stretch on). the problem is that the game, although fun, is far too easy for hardcore gamers to last more then a weak and a half and the game was originally for the gamecube, so it A great game. It plays like the super mario bros of old but has rpg elements like the older paper mario games. its really enjoyable. and I actually like the dialogue which is really funny (although it did stretch on). the problem is that the game, although fun, is far too easy for hardcore gamers to last more then a weak and a half and the game was originally for the gamecube, so it didn't really fully take advantage of the wii's motion features. Expand

#2 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2007
#3 Most Shared Wii Game of 2007

1. Play Magazine
    It feels and looks polished, considerate, and expensive. [Apr 2007, p.40]
  2. Anyone with half a heart will absolutely fall in love with the characters, the graphics, the dialogue, the old-school shout-outs to previous games, the little visual effects lingering in the skies of every world... the love just keeps plopping out of the speakers at an incredible rate. For every annoying, excessively long fetch quest or mundane puzzle, there's a huge, cutesy payoff that makes all the trouble worthwhile.
    It controls tightly and uses the Wii remote in a smart manner without stepping into forced territory. The new 2D-to-3D dynamic is built around clever and surprisingly complex puzzles that will challenge and impress you. And it all comes together to make Super Paper Mario a highly enjoyable title, whether you want to call it a platformer, an RPG, or something in-between.