7.8

1. Oct 16, 2012
    Here's my take on this game: The gameplay is fairly simple, but can get REALLY fun. I admit, it is a somewhat easy game, but that's not what compels you to keep playing. That's the story's job. This game has one of the most compelling stories I've ever seen in a video game, let alone a Mario game. It'll occasionally throw a curveball at you, be it a plot twist, character revelation, etc. Despite being a Mario game, it can get surprisingly dark, especially in worlds 2, 5, and 6. Combined with beautiful artwork, good level design, and multiple ways of playing, this is a game that is an experience you won't want to miss. Unless you're, I don't know, a prick who hates creativity and a good story? Expand
  2. May 25, 2011
    It's really too bad this game gets overlooked, because this game is among the best titles you'll get for Wii. Sure, it lacks the traditional Paper Mario RPG elements, but the unique press-a-button-to-turn-2D-into-3D gameplay is innovative and great. Knock-your-socks-off dialogue is great.
  3. Jul 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I feel we will never come across a game in general like super paper mario. going into some rooms thinking.... what? am i supposed to wait, but than realizing you have to flip into 3-D. and the final boss*spoiler alert* how dimentio just tries to kill count bleck is just awesome*spoilers end here*and i don't know which this game is.. more colorful or more dark? oh well but all in all, a great game. Expand
  4. Sep 30, 2012
    There are games like Super Paper Mario that are terribly misjudged, just because the game is a Action RPG-Platformer means that the game is going to have bad quality, in fact, the game is one of the best Wii games and RPG of this gen.

Let's start off with the gameplay, the factor that drew people away from the game, it is pretty good, despite not being the turn-based combat we all know
    and love, the platforming brings a breath of fresh air to the Paper Mario franchise, it may not be as good as the normal combat, but it is very fun and somewhat addictive, and the menu interface is overall pretty accesible and easy to use, the gameplay is overall good and fresh.

The presentation, menus are slick and the humor is again there just better than ever, the dialogue is pretty funny, combined with the great story that includes plot twists, emotional moments and GREAT villains, the presentation is of high standards.

The graphics, something i always liked about the Paper Mario franchise was the charming visual style it had, it's still there, the paper characters and very nice backgrounds in 2-D mode, in 3-D mode it still looks pretty nice just not as good as the 2-D mode because the backgrounds in 3-D mode are somewhat empty, overall the graphics are good.

The music, simply fantastic, this game has some of the most underrated soundtracks of any game, and the soundtrack is absolutlely FANTASTIC, the songs fit every situation, level or bosss battle perfectly, this is honestly one of the best soundtracks i´ve heard from any video game, as such, it's a fantastic soundtrack as i mentioned twice before.

The replay value is decent, there's some sidequests here and there and some above-average after game content to keep you playing some extra hours of this game, so you should not quit the game inmediately.

Overall Super Paper Mario is a greatly underrated title, and you should give the game a try, trust me, stop whining about the gameplay and play the game for what it is, a fresh Paper Mario with nostalgic 2-D sidescrolling elements, overall my score for the game is: 9.2
  5. Oct 20, 2013
    This is one of, if not the best Mario games out there. It combines 2D platforming and RPG elements well. Its dialogue is quite long but can be very funny and very well written. There is tons of collectibles, unique and interesting enemies and fun boss fights. A must-have for any Mario fan.
  6. Aug 28, 2010
    this game was horrible!!! it was just down right easy the 3D was the only thing cool about this game otherwise it was just plain easy and you would not want to play it again
  7. Oct 18, 2010
    I have to be honest; the plot is better than Super Mario Galaxy. Although it's quite repetitive and get's a bit boring after a while, that didn't stop me from finishing the game from beginning to end. Even though it's pretty good, that doesn't explain some of the confusion you may have in the game, but it does not really hurt it too much.
  8. Nov 9, 2010
    I Love this game, when it comes the the entire series, i just cannot get enough of it.
    i know the whole Paper mario 64 inside out and now i know this one well as well tho i think it should have stayed turn based it was well seeing mario... well turn super
    this was a good callaboration with new and old
    Nice job "Intelligent Systems"!!!
  9. Apr 1, 2011
    The game is not a Mario RPG... it really is something original. The game has lot's of charm, has clever puzzles and is often hilarious. BUT there are parts when I was wondering, "What were the developers thinking?!". Seriously, for every amazing part, such as a castle for dorks, video game hell & an amazing space shoot-out, there is a dumb, bland sequence. Literally, there is a part where you run right in a blank white space for 5 minutes... WTF? Good for a rental, but if you want classic platforming, get Kirby, Donkey Kong or New Super Mario Bros Expand
  10. Apr 17, 2011
    I did enjoy the game, quite a lot, but I have played and beaten both the original Paper Mario and Thousand Year Door and I much say they were much better. Better story, combat, depth and replay value. They dropped the really nice action command RPG game-play and replaced it with a fairly oversimplified action game. The 2D - 3D element was fairly cool but became too predictable and didn't provide much proper challenge, but there were bits that did give me some good entertainment through some clever puzzles and interesting level designs and I have to say that it is a good game, just in hindsight I found myself thinking all the way through - this could've worked better as a continuation to TYD... now I'm not afraid of change, but there were elements of Thousand Year Door that could've been done better that they could have applied to this game. What instead we got was a good game - but really, feels like a missed opportunity to be a great game. Expand
  11. Jun 1, 2011
    The Paper Mario series by Intelligent Systems is a series of games dating back to the N64, Intelligent Systems took the reins of the Mario RPG series after Square made Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, the games have always had colorful characters, interesting locations and worlds and witty writing. Super Paper Mario takes away the turn base format from previous titles for more of a plate former feel and action while still keeping the health and moves. While the new take on the series does feel fresh, the way the abilities and character switching completely wrenches the experience. To have to change from one character who can bomb to one that can hammer just gets annoying after a short time. At times it felt that the game was rushed, and rushed bad. The entire use of the mirror town of Flopside is completely under used and felt like a last second addition. In fact, this game lacks a lot of polish the previous games of the series had. Sure the other ones had a few slow chapters, but this one really gets to you.
    If you can trudge along then you'll enjoy it, if not then you'll be annoyed out of playing this game.
  12. Jun 27, 2011
    Gameplay is very easy, but very varied. 2d/3d worlds are fun and controls very intuitive. There's a great variety of weapons, personalities, mini-games, and game mechanics. There are way more mysteries in the game for any one reasonable person to find in a play-through, and that makes trying new tactics in the game very fun. Dialogue is superior to most Wii games, fwiw - with plenty of wit and unexpected personality. Character depth should have been developed more, but there was enough to empathize with characters. Definitely agree with others on that "Hamster Wheel" section of the game -- and there are quite a few other examples of drawing the game out for no reason other than to frustrate the player and waste his/her time without enjoyment. Puzzles aren't too difficult, but sometimes needed objects are placed in bizarre areas forcing you to go through everything five times for a couple hours, then realize you needed to go further back in a way which doesn't seem to make sense. There's excellent variety to the atmospheres created in the game. Some parts of the game just feel unbalanced -- there are rewards for tediously hunting treasure, finding recipes, and playing mini-games, but they don't make any significant impact on gameplay, while spending an hour in a type of gladiator pit breaks the game, making the character uber-powerful. SPM has the typical Mario problem of pits which give no indication of if they're useful or not supposed to be jumped in -- a very bizarre skinner box technique. Overall, a very fun game, and the only Wii game of over ten which I actually played to the end. Expand
  13. Aug 8, 2011
    Don't get me wrong, this is a good game, but sometimes it feels like your just running around in circles! Want a good Mario game on Wii? Pick this if you want but if you are looking for the best Mario game on Wii, Galaxy 2 is for you then!
  14. Oct 4, 2011
    Super Paper Mario is an outstanding game but not quite up to the standards set by its two predecessors. The game's charming visuals are beautiful and colorful but not nearly as impressive as Paper Mario The Thousand year Door for GameCube, and the game's 3-D sections aren't really all that impressive either. The audio is wonderful, cheesy video game sound effects, and wonderful fitting music. The game is a good length, but could've been longer, and thankfully has tons of sidequests to perform. The gameplay isn't nearly as good as the other Paper Mario games and actually completely different. Super Paper Mario focuses on platforming rather than RPG, and therefore loses some of the Paper Mario charm. Turn based battles are missed and take away from the game's gameplay. The story is great and will keep you into the game for quite a while. Super Paper Mario may not be as good as the two games that started the franchise, but it is still a must buy. Plus, the box art is simply amazing!

Pros: Fantastic audio, colorful graphics, engaging story, good length, good level designs
    Cons: No turn based battles, partners aren't fun, 2D to 3D is creative, but falls flat

Total Score: 9.0
  15. Nov 11, 2011
    Super Paper Mario features slightly faster and different gameplay than the previous Paper Mario games That is not a bad thing at all. It is not turn based like the others, , and the graphics look great.
  16. Nov 13, 2011
    The game is funny, charming, consistently inventive, but the hybrid of sidescrolling platforming action on traditional RPG gameplay, in the end, feels horrible. This game goes against everything I was taught as a gamer. It takes away my beloved dash button.

17. Nov 13, 2011
    The Paper Mario series has long been the benchmark of video game creativity. the 2D to 3D puzzles in Super Paper Mario are sometimes pure devious, the music is among the most catchy ever, it plays like a dream, and although it's not at good as it's GameCube cousin, it is easily one of the best Wii games that will ever be made.
  18. Dec 12, 2011
    Another game I have yet to play, but I have seen the trailer and it does look fun. Better than the first 2 But of course I can't say until I've played it and know what it's truly like. But from reviews it seems fun.
  19. May 15, 2012
    +Different playable characters, +Different ways to approach classic Mario combat, +Re-playable levels, +A Mario story where Bowser isn't the antagonist. -Complete removal of the RPG system from the past 2 Paper Mario games, -Using the "Score" as an EXP system is sort of redundant. Although this game is different from the last two, I enjoyed it. Nintendo/IS should have named this game something else to avoid confusion from avid Mario RPG fans. Expand
  20. Jul 11, 2012
    I was disappointed at the lack of the previous paper mario combat style but the familiar mario 2D style was interesting. compared to previous Mario rpg's the story isn't that great, while good it didn't live up to Paper mario: The thousand year door. overall it's a good game, and a great addition to the wii's library.
  21. Jul 18, 2012
    This was a fun and unique take on the Mario game concept. While I enjoyed playing it, the game's linear RPG storyline makes it unlikely you would want to play it more than once. The story is strange and funny (or at least tries to be), and the fact that you can switch from 1D to 3D added a cool dynamic to the gameplay. Over all, though, the pace was slow and the storyline was too goofy to really get me excited about playing. This would probably be very fun for its target audience, but older gamers might find it a bit simplistic and watered down. Expand
  22. Oct 26, 2012
    Hard game, good game like all Mario's games! A lot of time of play. Fantastic graphic! !
  23. Nov 8, 2012
    This game certainly stands out in the Paper Mario series and even in the entire collection of available Wii games. If you liked the original and/or TTYD for it's RPG elements, this may or may not be a better game for you. Seeing as they changed most of the RPG elements (mostly the fighting style). Although, there is still a progressive story just like the first two. The biggest change, like I already mentioned, is the battle system. Unlike the first two Paper Mario games, this one has no "getting into battle, choosing weapons" stuff. Basically, like most other Mario games, there is a simple way of defeating enemies. By stomping on them. Although, the game adds new features such as switching from a 2-D perspective to a 3-D perspective, which I found very unique. Pretty good graphics and pretty smooth gameplay included. In the end, the game might not be the best Paper Mario game in my opinion, but it certainly is worth a try, even if you are uncomfortable with the lack of RPG elements, because you might like it. I give it a 9/10. Expand
  24. Nov 29, 2012
    Super Paper Mario is a wildly original and innovative addition to the paper mario library. The gameplay is kept fresh by changing the style of play entirely. Instead of a turn based battle system, mario now traverses 2d environments with the ability to flip into 3d to solve puzzles and find new areas, and the battles are now real time. The story has once again been improved. This game features one of the darkest and best stories of any mario game. Other notable additions, without spoiling anything, is the inclusion of playing as characters besides mario. The party members are back, but unfortunately they are given little roles besides puzzle solving and have little personality. Despite all of these changes, this game does not match the greatness of its two prequels. The story is slow at times, the dialogue lengthy, and the gameplay can get repetitive later on. However, although this cannot compare to the near perfection of its two prequels, super paper mario is a great, fresh game that changes up the paper mario formula. Expand
  25. Dec 19, 2012
    En su tiempo me encontré lo bastante ansioso y emocionado por esperar y obtener este título, jugándome en contra mi afición por muchas de las series de Nintendo. Al principio, me gustó mucho pero me fuí dando cuenta que es un juego que promete mucho pero que no te llena al final de todo. Si es uno para pasar el rato.
  26. Dec 30, 2012
    Meh. The gameplay is bad now, you still level up but there is no turn battle, and instead of partners you get pixels who have like one use. The replay value is even worse and the chapters weren't that good. Get the first two, this is good for about 1 or 2 playthroughs, still fun, but isn't comparable to the originals.
  27. Mar 4, 2013
    One of my all time favorites. Great level design, nice story, cool and engaging gameplay. Best mario game since super mario world in my opinion, despite being text heavy, and certainly the best of the series.
  28. Jan 12, 2014
    This game is a brilliant platformer puzzler game that should be looked and bought by all Mario and RPG fans. SPM has left the common formula of the PERFECT Paper Mario Turn Based Battles, and has gone a new route, a new experiment. The story mode of this game is roughly 30-35 hours, excluding other things you can do afterwards (100ahemtrials). It does a good job of mixing an NSMB game with the wonderful charm of Paper Mario. The puzzles can really make you think, and the story being the deepest of the four paper marios. The text may be a bother to skip through, but reading it carefully will engulf you in the story and make you understand it more. Most people here are giving bad ratings because they don't take the time to read it enough, or they just don't like changes. I recommend this to all RPG and Mario fans for the wii! Brilliant game!

Gameplay: 9/10
    Story: 9.5/10
    Music: 9.5/10
    Presentation: 9/10
    Length: 9/10
    Overall: 9/10
  29. Jun 28, 2013
    Super Paper Mario is a very original game! The gameplay is incredibly unique, there are lots of fun characters, the art style is cute, and it's challenging, but not so challenging that you never are able to finish it. A heavily recommended game!
  30. Aug 6, 2013
    Although this game was okay for me, it is not as good as Paper Mario from Nintendo 64. There's no more turn fights which used to get annoying on Paper Mario 64 (but where fun). What I liked about the game is the flip from 2D to 3D, the second world is really fun and the world about the nerd was also fun and even hilarious.

The world about game over was rather scary which talked about
    hell and heaven and even that one business woman mentions if you where bad you'd suffer eternally (on a children's game what the There where also demons on that level (D-Man as they are called).

What I hated about this game is that you need Mario to flip the world and you can't use the other characters because you can miss hidden stuff. I wish I could had played more with Peach or Bowser but the game didn't let me. Very bad. Also when you flip you have a meter which removes 1 HP each time the meter is over, after the 1 HP is reduced it starts over and I found it very annoying.

The elevators at flipside are long and annoying, the pixls unlike the friends at Paper Mario 64 have no story at all and become useless, you even need a pixl for the hammer COME ON!

In all the game was rather enjoyable.. but not as good as Paper Mario 64. Should you get this game? Maybe. Is it better than Paper Mario 64? NO!
  31. Aug 15, 2013
    Super Paper Mario is the third Paper Mario Game in the series. SPM is a very dark game for a Mario Game but has a very great story and takes quite a long time to complete the game. The weak point of this game is that the game really doesn't let you explore Flipside for the majority of the game.
  32. Aug 15, 2013
    I remember when I was a kid that my favorite game on the Gamecube was Paper Mario The Ten Thousand year door and when I heard that there was a new Paper Mario game coming soon I got hyped more then for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I couldn't wait but little did I know I was waiting for a huge kick in the balls. The game was basically New Super Mario Bros. RPG (infact I would have preferred that title much more). With a boring storyline (that I can't imagine any kids understanding), graphics that are an insult to the Wii, terrible partners (I prefer one done well then 9 with no soul), Navi/Tippi, bad boss fights (excluding the first one), a main villain with no incentive (other then just take over the world), and some of the worst levels I've ever seen. Expand
  33. Aug 17, 2013
    A very disappointing title to say the least. The ideas are really cool and fresh originally, but the game suffers far too much from mindless backtracking. There are many stages where you simply must wander the area finding the right door or switch to progress through the game. Even speedrunning on a second playthrough, where all of the backtracking is known does nothing to help the game's abysmal pacing. Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door had many poor backtracking segments as well, but those were somewhat avoidable. Very cool ideas, and very good implementation are in it's favor but some of the worst level design I have every seen hold back what should have been a very fun and unique platformer. If you're a fan of the Paper Mario series (as I am) I would probably rent it or borrow it from a friend, but it's not worth buying, even used. Expand
  34. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The puzzles were cool. The overall game was decent, wasn't too difficult. Was extra fun as you got to play as many different of the Mario characters, not just Mario the whole way through. It was slightly childish in its execution, and at times slightly boring, and other times annoying. But overall was fun to play through. Expand
  35. Oct 1, 2013
    truly Nintendo has given up on the gaming industry. a game like paper mario should be ripped up and thrown in the trash. the 2d is okay I guess, but when you switch it to 3d you think something awesome is going to happen but nothing does. plus you slowly lose life in 3d. the worst and most overated game on the wii. no bowser are you fricken kidding me. i say rip paper mario up and throw him in the trash Kirby epic yarn Expand
  36. Nov 9, 2013
    Most of the Mario games out there have the basic storyline: Peach has been kidnapped by Bowser, and Mario must save her. While that's the standard story, the Paper Mario series strays from that path and takes on its own story.
    This is the only Paper Mario game I've played, so it'll be reviewed as an individual game rather than a sequel.

The story of this game is that an evil sorcerer
    named Count Bleck has used to the powers of the Chaos Heart to open a void in the dimensions that would soon destroy all worlds. Mario, with the help of a butterfly named Tippi, must find all of the Pure Hearts to cancel out the Chaos Heart. While you're playing the game, there'll be little cutscenes that are nothing but texts on a black screen. These scenes narrate a tragic love story and actually play a big part in the overall conclusion. Throughout the game, there are many humorous scenes and events that actually make me laugh out loud. At the same time, there are moments that shock me, and some that even make me want to cry. Most Mario games are unoriginal with their stories, but this one is truly deep, worthy of a novel.

In Super Paper Mario, you go through the side-scrolling 2-D world. There is a twist though: you get to flip it to 3-D and see the world in that perspective. There are limits to the ability, but. it contributes to the puzzle solving aspect of this game. Another factor in the puzzle solving of the game are little helpers called Pixls. You find a few of these little fairy-type creatures and they all have their own power, including making you super thin, allowing you to float over surfaces, and one being a giant hammer. There are other powers and if you're ever having trouble, all of these unique personalities might help you in your troubles. Also, you don't just get to play as Mario, but Peach, Luigi, and even Bowser. You can switch over from one to the other if ever the puzzle calls for it as each of them has their own unique ability as well.

I must make it clear that in order to play this game, you must have a certain level of patience. This is a twenty hour game and about four of those hours can be you figuring out where you're supposed to go and what you're supposed to do, wandering around blindly and hoping that you'll stumble across the answer. When you do find the answer though, it makes you feel very satisfied with your problem solving skills. And in the 3-D world, while it's cool that you can do that, it's not very detailed. It feels like a barren wasteland and it doesn't do much for me. In fact, there were some parts of the game that seemed to be put there just to consume your time.

While it's a puzzle solving game, it's also an RPG where defeating enemies levels you up, giving you more life and more strength. You can buy items or pick them up from place to place, all serving their special purpose such as healing you or making you more powerful for a certain amount of time. The mechanics of this particular RPG are simple but it's presented very well.

The soundtrack of this game is wonderful in my opinion. Like I said, you might be spending hours on end finding out where you're supposed to go. That's what happened to me. And the soundtrack made it bearable, with some worlds having a jumpy, distorted but cheerful sounding tone, and others having a grand orchestral arrangement set up. All of it, even the boss fights, sets the mood of each world wonderfully and I don't have any complaints.

It's not the very best Mario game I've played, but it's certainly up there. If you have patience for running around and wasting your time on trivial activities, I say pick this game up. It has a beautiful story and nice (even if flawed) gameplay mechanic.
  37. Jan 14, 2014
    Most people think that Paper Mario isn't as good as other Mario games- but it is that good! People should try it! It's a really good good game. He looks really small and he doesn't get big when he gets a mushroom, he just gets more points. You have to fight Count Bleck at the very end. That's the part I'm in fact right now stuck on.

jonah age 5
  38. Feb 9, 2014
    I Absolutely LOVE this game! horrible graphics but yet the best game ever! I like the fact that Mario is 2d and totally paper like! I got stuck on one crappy level... but its okay. my Mario love!
  39. Apr 2, 2014
    Be prepared as you jump into this game, because if you were a fan of the first two Paper Mario games and you bought this game without looking at any gameplay already and expect it to have the gameplay of the first two games, you will be severely disappointed. For Super Paper Mario has a totally new style of gameplay that I know has made many Paper Mario fans enraged. For the gameplay is now mostly sidescrolling with no turn-based battling but gameplay controls of like a traditional side-scroller Mario game; however there are still a few RPG elements still present, the game still has shops and HP and some other things and it's even as long as a typically RPG and it also has a very sophisticated story. Speaking of the story, the story in this game is amazing, I won't spoil anything, but this game has a very well written story, it even has some pretty dark themes even for a typical "E for Everyone" Mario game; not to mention, the ending ties the story well together and is even a bit of a tear jerker. Overall Super Paper Mario is sure to disappoint Paper Mario fans, but if you treat it like an individual Mario game, you will find that Super Paper Mario is an excellent game! Another Wii game I'd recommend. Expand
  40. Apr 30, 2014
    This game wasn't bad but it was a bit of a disappointment. When it came out i thought it would be similar to the first 2, especially by looking at the box art. I did enjoy this game alot but it didnt even come close to the first 2 Paper Marios. Not only was the gameplay much different, the game was WAY to easy for me, i can get through the game without getting a game over. It was still fun but like i said, not the same. What was worse is that there was no turn based battling, but still leveling up which gave you a purpose to fighting enemies unlike Sticker Star. Most of the Pixls in the game were useless for most of the game. And the chapters were very short, on top of the game being easy with short levels it just got boring Expand
  41. Jun 22, 2014
    It's really unfortunate that this game is so overlooked. To me, this game gets far too much hate. I think it's time for me to put in my two cents.. Most people's opinions on this game are sorely based on nostalgia. I guarantee if this game didn't have the title of "Paper Mario", everyone would've loved it. Because of the two previous games being masterpieces, it really raised expectations for a sequel. I will say, though, my thoughts are different for Sticker Star. The idea seems forced. As if someone was like, "Paper... paper..... STICKERS!! Omfg genius"
    Anyway, Super Paper Mario, to me, is a brilliant game. It's awesome in it's own right. It has plenty of replay value. The story is amazing, and so is the dialogue. Yes, it is one of the easiest games I have ever played, but I had a blast playing it. I've played through it a considerable amount of times, and it has yet to get old.
    It's really fun trying to find all the secrets. One of my only complaints, is why do you have to go through Flopside's Pit of 100 Trials twice? XD and Chapter 6 is a bit boring :P
  42. Jun 27, 2014
    I've never liked RPGs, and I still don't. So when I played this game, I was happy to se that it was a platformer, but with a storyline of an RPG, and even the leveling ups. Which really makes the game "deeper" if you really want to say that. Anyways, you can get these things called Pixls, and they can do things ranging from protecting you from spikes, giving you a hammer, making you go faster & ect... Which really makes backtracking a joy, because you can use these abilities never seen before in that level, sometimes its mandatory, which, isn't as bad as you think. Expand
  43. Jul 16, 2014
    Super Paper Mario is a fun game. It has a great story and a awesome music track. For those of you who still haven't played this game yet, you are missing out in a perfect game.

1. It feels and looks polished, considerate, and expensive. [Apr 2007, p.40]
  2. Anyone with half a heart will absolutely fall in love with the characters, the graphics, the dialogue, the old-school shout-outs to previous games, the little visual effects lingering in the skies of every world... the love just keeps plopping out of the speakers at an incredible rate. For every annoying, excessively long fetch quest or mundane puzzle, there's a huge, cutesy payoff that makes all the trouble worthwhile.
    It controls tightly and uses the Wii remote in a smart manner without stepping into forced territory. The new 2D-to-3D dynamic is built around clever and surprisingly complex puzzles that will challenge and impress you. And it all comes together to make Super Paper Mario a highly enjoyable title, whether you want to call it a platformer, an RPG, or something in-between.