8.9

1. Apr 19, 2013
    As someone who got many hours of multiplayer gaming heaven out of Melee, I was very happy to hear about how Nintendo intended to amp the next in the series.

I'm not going to repeat the points you have heard generally, yes it is fantastic, a fantastic roster, Melee's returning "clone characters" fleshed out and some great stages. It's worth buying on these alone. The Subspace Emissary

The Subspace Emissary was a great idea on paper, but missed a trick by not taking the concept beyond some flash CG cutscenes. The bits inbetween involve standard matches and low end 80's platforming. Considering that it has key characters from the platform genre's hayday, you'd think they'd add more elements inspired by the roster of characters, maybe even some original ideas.

The biggest let down is the Online modes that are promised by Nintendo, put simply I have not had a single match since I am forever waiting for the service to match me up with other players. I have had the game since launch and still nothing... which is made worse if you have experienced how well Mario Kart Wii Online has hand this.

To sum up, the game is excellent, Subspace Emissary is a dull missed opertunatey, the fantastic multiplayer still isn't broke and the online equivalent is, unless Nintendo see fit to sort it out, which maybe unlikely since they knowingly sold it in this state after having the very same problem in Japan and the US.

I know there will be fans who won't like this when I say it, heck I'm suprised I'm saying it, but this game really is the definition of flawed genious. This game and it's publisher come from a good pedigree, but don't take everyone's word for it that it's a classic, the hype was definately a step beyond a product that European gamers were made to wait for, which is why I scored it 2 stars overall.
  2. PeterC
    Jul 22, 2008
    Can't remember when I've been more disspointed with a game. The single player is entertaining for about 4 hours, but becomes a chore pretty quick. But of course, this game is all about the multiplayer, but guess what? ONLINE WITH STRANGERS IS COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE. Even with friends you'll find there's often one person who will lag the game so much it is unplayable. So Can't remember when I've been more disspointed with a game. The single player is entertaining for about 4 hours, but becomes a chore pretty quick. But of course, this game is all about the multiplayer, but guess what? ONLINE WITH STRANGERS IS COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE. Even with friends you'll find there's often one person who will lag the game so much it is unplayable. So unless you know a bunch of people who will come round to play regularly, or you know people who own wiis and the game and can organize to play then it's a waste of money. But even then, as I mentioned it often lags like hell, (and then controls are so unresponsive so the game is simply no fun) My internet connection runs a stead 5-6MB/sec, but I literally cannot get a game against strangers. If I try random games it just searches and searches. Maybe 10 minutes later it might set a game up, but it lags so bad it's just ludicrous. It's not my router or anything else like that- just a problem with nintendo servers I guess. Not only that but when playing against random people, you're not allowed to change options. Its a 2 minute brawl every time. Fortunately I was able to swap this game at the shop a week later. I pity the suckers who got screwed by this. Just google search SSBB and lag and you'll find zillions of people with the problem. So if you expect Brawl to be LIKE EVERY OTHER COMEPTITVE ONLINE GAME IN EXISTENCE where you can just pick it up and play with people whenever you like, prepare for a shock... Graphics sound and gameplay are all amazing. Pity that the thing that makes an online game like this worth buying and playing doesn't actually work. for 90% of the people who buy this game. Expand
  3. eric
    Apr 19, 2008
    One could write a 10-page essay on the many ways Nintendo has screwed over its long-time fans in the past few years. For me, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the greatest example because I am (or was) such a fan of the series. It
  4. PresenT.
    Mar 18, 2008
    This game was fantastic 5 years ago, but I don't accept a recycled game with a few new characters. Online isn't customizable, character list is now very unbalanced, and the new modes leave so much to be desired. Sorry Nintendo, you've seemed to fool everyone else, but not me. Shallow, a failure at best.
  5. Sep 23, 2010
    The commercial and critical success of this game is proof that you could slap Mario's face on the cover of "DESTROY YOUR WII IN ONE EASY STEP" and it'd sell like gangbusters. This game is a slap in the face to truly fantastic multiplayer action titles without half the name recognition.
  6. Jul 25, 2011
    Loved the new characters, stages and game modes, but the multiplayer, by itself, earned this game a zero. Now, any player, no matter how bad, can recover from devastating attacks, break combos, due to "tripping," and keep up with more competent players because of brawls painfully slow frame rate. Also, why did they take out wavedashing and L-canceling? If you dont know what either ofLoved the new characters, stages and game modes, but the multiplayer, by itself, earned this game a zero. Now, any player, no matter how bad, can recover from devastating attacks, break combos, due to "tripping," and keep up with more competent players because of brawls painfully slow frame rate. Also, why did they take out wavedashing and L-canceling? If you dont know what either of those are go buy melee and figure it out. Expand
  7. DudeR.
    Mar 15, 2008
    Only brainwashed Nintendo kids love smashing their buttons for stupid Mario characters. The roster is so boring and rehashed from their entire game lineup and if you really need to play this over over decent games than I feel sorry for you.
  8. Crazychief112
    Mar 12, 2008
    I give this game a zero because you can't even see your own HP, wtf. I think that even if this game had Master Chef it would get an 8. Only because his shooting is awesome. the controls feel wierd and when i kept pushing up on the wiimote my man kept moving left? Worst game ever.
  9. KentL.
    Jun 30, 2008
    It's not a bad game, but it's not a Wii game either. It could work equally on any platform. It takes no advantage of the controls glory that makes the Wii the Wii. In fact, although you could play it with with both the regular controller and the nunchuck, my family finds it easier to play with just the regular controller horizontally as if it was a 1980s through early 00s It's not a bad game, but it's not a Wii game either. It could work equally on any platform. It takes no advantage of the controls glory that makes the Wii the Wii. In fact, although you could play it with with both the regular controller and the nunchuck, my family finds it easier to play with just the regular controller horizontally as if it was a 1980s through early 00s controller! The game is either just a player version player on one screen (ala Rampage) or a solo player side to side w/ slight vertical scrolling platform game. The graphics are good and some of the character animations are attractive. Playing as chars from various games is mildly pleasant but the game does little to deepen them as characters. The sound is average as is the game play for a scroller. I hate the controls. Nothing is more frustrating when I go to shoot left but instead and shooting right, completely missing the target. And don't get me started on trying to jump and not actually jumping. I think the game is fine although I wouldn't have purchased it knowing that's what it is. Expand
  10. JCAndrew
    Oct 2, 2007
    The game at first is exciting seeing ultimate graphics and more. But playing a million bosses to just get alll the moves for all characters which you don't unlock but have, but have to get moves to play adventure mode and multi-player, when it said you have to unlock certain players. this game dissapointes me, I thought it was about battling, when all it is, is to understand theThe game at first is exciting seeing ultimate graphics and more. But playing a million bosses to just get alll the moves for all characters which you don't unlock but have, but have to get moves to play adventure mode and multi-player, when it said you have to unlock certain players. this game dissapointes me, I thought it was about battling, when all it is, is to understand the strength of those moves and that every power is magnificent, but I do not see how that has to come in hand. the internet source I had looked at every week during the summer is a waste of time, those website creator's have gaven the biggest crapstore information i have ever recieved, which makes the game such a letdown. Thanks Nintendo. Expand
  11. Domingo
    Mar 12, 2008
    The game is a flop. It looks exactly the same as gamecube. The game play is just boring and the new special abilities show you how pathetic the game really is. The fact that there is no imagination left in Nintendo is just really sad. If the game was about 30 dollars cheaper I'd give it a 5.
  12. Ryan
    Mar 17, 2008
    This is waay overrated. Looks just like the gamecube, gameplay isn't much different either and boring. The Wiimote makes it harder to control this time around. There's not much depth to this fighting game. Tekken and SoulCalibur are the ones you should be playing!
  13. CurtisR.
    Mar 20, 2008
    Bad ai, bad controls, Space Station Emassary Sucks, unbalanced characters. This game is attrocious.
  14. JayB.
    Mar 30, 2008
    Nintendo really understands the meaning of "cash cow, because they are really milking this concept dry of all of its novelty and flavor. Brawl is more of the same thing we've been waiting and expecting for almost a decade and I'm not impressed at all. Yes it is fun because Smash bros. in general is fun, but that's not the point. The point is to utilize the full power of new Nintendo really understands the meaning of "cash cow, because they are really milking this concept dry of all of its novelty and flavor. Brawl is more of the same thing we've been waiting and expecting for almost a decade and I'm not impressed at all. Yes it is fun because Smash bros. in general is fun, but that's not the point. The point is to utilize the full power of new technology and create something different and meaningful rather than clone the previous game with "sweeter graphix and soundz!!!1!1". Yes Smash bros is fun, but gimmicky plastic add ons are not. I have just as much fun playing the original Smash bros, if not more. It's so sad that developers are getting more and more lazy the better the technology becomes Expand
  15. AreYouSerious
    May 28, 2008
    There is no function served in playing this - all you do is mash buttons and it has no real impact on anything. What a waste of money.
  16. DrewH.
    Jun 15, 2008
    Terrible Fighting Techniques, very bad combat system, repetitive techniques, no competitive factor. Huge letdown in general. I regret wasting 60$ on this game.
  17. JamesM.
    Jul 16, 2008
    Meele on a new platform, which was the original SSB on a new platform. 3 games in and nothing has changed. This...irritates me.
  18. feldeghast
    Jul 25, 2008
    I hated it. Button mashing at its worst. Mortal Kombat 1 on the SNES was more fun. A to hit, C to Jump and nothing else. Characters were too small to see and the pace was too fast. I finished it on my first try and half the time couldn't understand how i was winning. I'm so glad i only rented it from the video store.
  19. JoyceChristenson
    Oct 2, 2007
    I had played it for a very long time, I am only half way, and I am still playing it. I got a special given copy for me in the beginning of august, and now it is October. i have been playing 7 hours every weekend, 10 hours every summer day, 3 hours every normal weekday, and I'm only 46% accomplished. The game has been overdone and too long. And people think they are still inI had played it for a very long time, I am only half way, and I am still playing it. I got a special given copy for me in the beginning of august, and now it is October. i have been playing 7 hours every weekend, 10 hours every summer day, 3 hours every normal weekday, and I'm only 46% accomplished. The game has been overdone and too long. And people think they are still in production of the game, because every week they add something new to the game, when the game itself is done, and has been done since June. Collapse
  20. MarkusE
    Oct 5, 2007
    Looks like just more of the same. Rumble Falls = Icicle Mountain 2 (yet another vertical scroller). Pokemon Stadium 2? Yawn. Trophies back. Subspace Emissary? 1P Adventure Mode II with some trace of a story. SSBB can be summarized as follows: "New characters. New items. New stages. SAME OLD GAMEPLAY."
  21. JaredChristenson
    Aug 26, 2007
    After I went to a special gameplay viewing I found myself...dissapointed, its a really bad game. Its actually overall the worst game ever, you know why, I will tell you why. The games characters have moves that are too powerfull that each level is over in less than 20 seconds, its so hard to play, find out the controlls, and follow. It doesn't flow with any other game of Nintendo,After I went to a special gameplay viewing I found myself...dissapointed, its a really bad game. Its actually overall the worst game ever, you know why, I will tell you why. The games characters have moves that are too powerfull that each level is over in less than 20 seconds, its so hard to play, find out the controlls, and follow. It doesn't flow with any other game of Nintendo, and the Wii doesn't do anything to this game but make it a bigger product because you don't even use the numchuck for cripe sake. To me its big popular waste of money, its a letdown that I wouldn't even buy for free. It sucks. Expand
  22. JT
    Feb 23, 2008
    This game is HORRIBLE. I imported it on my japanese wii and I have never been so dissapointed in a game before. Seriously this is a pitiful excuse for a fighting game. Not to mention the wii mote is useless on this game. I had such high anticipation and I am so let down. Major dissapointment. Solid Snake is UNSTOPABLE on this game.
  23. DJTrasatti
    Feb 26, 2008
    Look - I'm a huuuuge nintendo fan. I had the first system when i was 8 when it first came out. Yeah... i even had ROB. But come on, is anyone else sick of all the hype around this game? I'm just sick of every gamestop employee pushing this thing on me like Jesus himself handed it down from the cross.
    BLAH!!! I respect every Nintendo franchise - but it's time they focus on
    BLAH!!! I respect every Nintendo franchise - but it's time they focus on some serious 3rd party games. Melee was a great nod to the nostalgia that nostalgia is and was, let's move on.
  24. joycechristenson
    Feb 5, 2008
    There is so much to do, you wouldn't have the chance to even try everything once you sell it. To me this is a waste of time. The effects are cheesy, but it doesn't have that cheaky quirk crap like last time. But its weak, its no fun, it is slow, boring, and dull, a dud, just makes the WII look even more worse. Just awful.
  25. Dark
    Mar 11, 2008
    You've played this game before, back when it was called "Super Smash Bros. Melee" - consider Brawl as something of an "expansion pack" and you'll enjoy it. But don't expect anything spectacular.
  26. KalP.
    Mar 15, 2008
    I didn't get it. This game is so overrated. The gameplay is so chaotic and out of control...you can't even focus, see where you are on the screen cause there's so much going on! The controls are bland and especially awkward being able to pick 4 different types of controllers to use from. If you want a great fighting game, I'd go back to Street Fighter. This was not I didn't get it. This game is so overrated. The gameplay is so chaotic and out of control...you can't even focus, see where you are on the screen cause there's so much going on! The controls are bland and especially awkward being able to pick 4 different types of controllers to use from. If you want a great fighting game, I'd go back to Street Fighter. This was not worth my time. Good graphics and presentation though. Expand
  27. TheNumberQ.
    Mar 16, 2008
    I have to say, I've played the series since the beginning, and this one really disappoints me. I gave it a one just because its better than most of the other trash being made for the wii.
  28. NathanL.
    Mar 23, 2008
    Very little difference from Melee. Poor utilization of the wii's capabilities, in fact I can't stand playing it on the wiimote and have to use the GC controller. It's just the same game with a few new characters.
  29. MearshG.
    Mar 28, 2008
    Not a very good game, so overrated.
  30. ZachC.
    Apr 12, 2008
    Bored after 2 minutes. I don't get the hype.
  31. MikeG.
    Apr 27, 2008
    Sorry but this game is for people who don't like depth in thier fighting games. many matches will be lost because someone fell off a platform, and three buttons dedicated to jumping?!? Too much random action, not enough combos per charicter. I want to like the Wii, but if mariokart is another last-gen retread like this game(i hope the leave computer assisted catch-up off, but...), Sorry but this game is for people who don't like depth in thier fighting games. many matches will be lost because someone fell off a platform, and three buttons dedicated to jumping?!? Too much random action, not enough combos per charicter. I want to like the Wii, but if mariokart is another last-gen retread like this game(i hope the leave computer assisted catch-up off, but...), 'k*** m* a**' to all you fanboys that gave this game a 10 and got tired of it the next day. Expand
  32. AndreB.
    May 13, 2008
    They managed to create a button masher for the system that was supposed to end button mashing. The game is fun for about 5 minutes, until you realize it never actually gets any deeper than doing the same moves over and over and over.
  33. RoyQ
    Jan 2, 2009
    This unpolished rehash isn't even worth a rental. It amazes me that people rate this disgusting game 10/10 due to some pathetic sentimentalism for nintendo. Anyone that actually enjoys playing video games will hate this piece of rubbish. It's nothing more than an underwhelming, underperforming, useless piece of nintendo trash that was created to make money off of the idiots that This unpolished rehash isn't even worth a rental. It amazes me that people rate this disgusting game 10/10 due to some pathetic sentimentalism for nintendo. Anyone that actually enjoys playing video games will hate this piece of rubbish. It's nothing more than an underwhelming, underperforming, useless piece of nintendo trash that was created to make money off of the idiots that mindlessly purchase anything nintendo craps out. Seven years after the release of melee we get a new SSB game with a worthless level editor, utterly useless online play, and a bunch of terrible new levels that kill you at random. There is no excuse for this level of failure - nintendo is raking in money hand over fist, and they don't care about making good games anymore. Thanks for screwing over your loyal fans and releasing garbage games like this solely to make fast money, nintendo! It seems that most people are too stupid to notice so I guess you'll continue to get away with it. Anyone with a brain between his/her ears should avoid this game at all costs. Expand
  34. RayA
    Feb 14, 2009
    I don't believe how high these ratings are. It's just a whole bunch of nintendo characters, and most of them I've never even heard of. (Who the hell is Marth?) And also, it takes a whole bunch of game elements that really weren't that good in the first place, and made it into the ultimate pile of crap. I tried it with some of my brawl obsessed friends, (for gods sake I don't believe how high these ratings are. It's just a whole bunch of nintendo characters, and most of them I've never even heard of. (Who the hell is Marth?) And also, it takes a whole bunch of game elements that really weren't that good in the first place, and made it into the ultimate pile of crap. I tried it with some of my brawl obsessed friends, (for gods sake the people like have no lives, thats the only thing the do. while playing) and I quickly learned how bad it was. I rented the game, just to see if it was the first impression, and sure it really wasn't. At some points the cutscenes made me laugh, because this retarded game was trying to take itself seriously! Wow. On the technological aspect of the game, it feels like a whole bunch of slack offs made it in 1 week. The sounds are so repetitive, sometimes I just muted it. Kirby kept screaming when I was pressing up B, and it was all like NUTMEG! NUTMEG! Seriously wtf? The worst of all is Lucas and Ness. (whats the difference anyway?) They just make THE SAME annoying noises OVER and OVER AGAIN! PK STAR STAR! PK FREE!!!!!! PK FREE!!!!!!!!!! I don't know why this game was rated T, because I think it should of been rated like EC. They also really slacked off on the characters, and variety. There are supposed to be a whole bunch of them, but at base it's only like 10. The rest are just stupid branch offs. Lets take link. theres all these retarded variations that make no sense, like "toon link" or "old link" or "young link" or "DARK LINK" (Oh how scary! I think I just crapped myself!) And last, and probably the worst is balance. If you haven't noticed, I believe this game was supposed to be built sort of like TF2, where every character is unique, but all have strengths and weaknesses, but these are equal, so no one is truly better. They did not probably test this for very long, so there is obvious little "nooby" things you can do with a character, and if the game was better, they would either release a patch to fix it, or better yet, just don't release a game like that. The music selection is also bland and revolves mainly around TWO MEASLY MEASURES OF COMPLETE RUBBISH. This game is truly way too credited, and there are probably things that come out of by bum that are more entertaining than this. Expand
  35. BlackPerson
    Feb 25, 2008
    Worst.Game.Ever.

Go do yourself a favor and buy a 360 or ps3, where there is good fighting games. Their will never be a good fighting game on the wii unless it uses original controlls. this game is mediocre, kiddish, immature, pointless, and boring. Go Buy Smackdown vs Raw if your too cheap to buy a 360 or ps3.
  36. Brent
    Mar 19, 2008
    Wow, I do not see what is so great about this game. I played it for a few hours the other day and it feels and looks the same as the gamecube version a few years ago. It's so repetative and simple it gets boring after a short time. It doesn't even make use of the motion sensors. In my opinion this has got to be one of the most over rated games of all time.
  37. BenP.
    Mar 24, 2008
    SSBB really didn't do it for me - it's a bit of fun for a while, but I really don't see why everyone rates it so well? It just seems like another random button-masher fighting game that I got sick of 10 years ago. And it doesn't seem to be very well adapted to the Wii. why are there no motion sensitive controls? Why can't I choose options on the screen with the SSBB really didn't do it for me - it's a bit of fun for a while, but I really don't see why everyone rates it so well? It just seems like another random button-masher fighting game that I got sick of 10 years ago. And it doesn't seem to be very well adapted to the Wii. why are there no motion sensitive controls? Why can't I choose options on the screen with the wii-mote, like all the other games? This is not even half the game that Mario Galaxy is. Expand
  38. MarkusG.
    Apr 12, 2008
    Agreed w/what JayB said: "Nintendo really understands the meaning of "cash cow, because they are really milking this concept dry of all of its novelty and flavor. Brawl is more of the same thing we've been waiting and expecting for almost a decade and I'm not impressed at all. Yes it is fun because Smash bros. in general is fun, but that's not the point. The point is to Agreed w/what JayB said: "Nintendo really understands the meaning of "cash cow, because they are really milking this concept dry of all of its novelty and flavor. Brawl is more of the same thing we've been waiting and expecting for almost a decade and I'm not impressed at all. Yes it is fun because Smash bros. in general is fun, but that's not the point. The point is to utilize the full power of new technology and create something different and meaningful rather than clone the previous game with "sweeter graphix and soundz!!!1!1". Yes Smash bros is fun, but gimmicky plastic add ons are not. I have just as much fun playing the original Smash bros, if not more. It's so sad that developers are getting more and more lazy the better the technology becomes". Expand
  39. RichardO.
    Jun 29, 2008
    Never played a Smash Bros game before and probably never will again. Utterly confusing, no explanation of what you're supposed to do. Didn't like it at all.
  40. RuncanD.
    Jul 13, 2008
    I honestly don't get it... The controls are really sluggish, it almost never connects online, the poor story mode is needlessly frustrating because of poor controls and sparse save points. Perhaps it's a fun party game, but Mario Kart wins hands down with my friends. I really don't know what all the fuss is about!
  41. BasmentCrawler
    Nov 24, 2008
    Terrible game. Not even nearly as good as Melee. Everyone giving the high scores are casual smashers who have no idea about the depth of Melee and the slowness and simplicity of Brawl. Go to www.smashboards.com and find out what you're talking about before you post idiotic reviews.
  42. Mar 26, 2011
    It's just a Button-Masher, it takes up to 18 hours to unlock only about 5/2# unlockable charcters BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Terrible, Button-Masher, takes bloody hours to unlock chars, ECT ECT.

1 interesting thing is Co-Op campaign, which is fun for about 2 1/2 hours, after that you'll all be fighting over the lives and conducting friendly fire on purpose because your target didn't bring the cheetos.
  43. Aug 7, 2011
    I don't know if I can describe how bad this game seems to me. I've played it both solo and in groups, and it just bores me to death. I liked multiplayer brawling games like this in the likes of Powerstone back in the day, but the entire feel, control-scheme, environments, and mechanics of the wntire Smash Bros. series feels like a terrible joke. It's like Monty Python invaded Nintendo andI don't know if I can describe how bad this game seems to me. I've played it both solo and in groups, and it just bores me to death. I liked multiplayer brawling games like this in the likes of Powerstone back in the day, but the entire feel, control-scheme, environments, and mechanics of the wntire Smash Bros. series feels like a terrible joke. It's like Monty Python invaded Nintendo and came out with the most ridiculous fighting game parody ever conceived. Is that what people like about it? I don't know, but it's charm is definitely lost on me. Expand
  44. Jun 4, 2011
    Brawl is all fluff. While it's great to see lots of new characters, stages, and options, what truly makes a Smash Bros game is, let's face it, the gameplay. The Wii is a family oriented platform, and Brawl follows suit. It is easy to pick up and play, and even a new player can keep up with someone who has put lots of time into the game. Now that's great if you're a new player, but for fansBrawl is all fluff. While it's great to see lots of new characters, stages, and options, what truly makes a Smash Bros game is, let's face it, the gameplay. The Wii is a family oriented platform, and Brawl follows suit. It is easy to pick up and play, and even a new player can keep up with someone who has put lots of time into the game. Now that's great if you're a new player, but for fans who put time in it would be nice to be able to perfect a fighting style similar to what was possible in Melee. Overall, Brawl is just a soft game. Controls lag, hits don't feel satisfying, gameplay is slow - it is the non-gamer version of Melee, with loads of gratification for the newbies, enough new features to trick real gamers into buying it, and plenty of disappointment when those same gamers realize they spent $50 on what amounts to an amorphous blob of dumbed down game design. I'll stick with Melee and the original SSB. I recommend the same to anyone who considers themselves a gamer. Expand
  45. Jul 1, 2013
    The sheer amount of time we had already invested in Melee was definitely partly to blame for our lack of interest. After all, Brawl didn’t showcase the same jump in features and spectacle that Melee had over the original game on the N64. It was, by and large, pretty similar to Melee, and lacked the novelty of its predecessor. However, after mulling it over in my head over the course of aThe sheer amount of time we had already invested in Melee was definitely partly to blame for our lack of interest. After all, Brawl didn’t showcase the same jump in features and spectacle that Melee had over the original game on the N64. It was, by and large, pretty similar to Melee, and lacked the novelty of its predecessor. However, after mulling it over in my head over the course of a couple of months, I decided that Brawl was, in my mind at least, a worse game than Melee. Still, my reasoning behind this opinion often differed from the reasoning of forum-goers and commenters across the internet (it is largely regarded that Melee is the superior game, at least as far as depth of gameplay goes). Many users complained about the dumbing-down of competitive play through the removal of certain advanced techniques, such as wave dashing, or L-canceling. However, this didn’t really apply to my friends and me: none of us had ever even attempted to wave dash, nor was the lowering of a skill-ceiling something which would effect our play with one another. Indeed, to be fair, some of the techniques that were removed appeared to depend on the exploitation of unintended design flaws.

Now, by no means was Brawl a bad game in fact, it’s very good, and well worth checking out at the very least. However, it’s by no means perfect, and in some respects, worse than its prequel. For the sake of clarity and convenience, my contentions with the game will be presented in list form.

1. The Subspace Emissary sucked. The Subspace Emissary was made out to be the Story mode option of Brawl, as well as a replacement for the Adventure mode of Melee. It boasts gorgeous CG cutscenes featuring the Brawl cast, as well as boss battles against well-known franchise villains, such as Petey Piranha and Ridley. Unfortunately, that’s about all it has going for it. The story was threadbare, the level design was repetitive and bland, the gameplay was monotonous, and it ultimately felt like a chore that had to be slogged through in order to unlock content for other modes. Embarrassingly, Melee’s Adventure mode remains a much more enjoyable and interesting experience overall, despite only lasting the guts of about 20 minutes on each run, whereas Subspace Emissary gives a play time of about 10 hours, give or take. Disc space and development time that could have been given over to other game modes was instead used up by this lackluster option. I’d like to see either a return to a short Adventure-style game mode in the sequel, or go the full hog and give each character their own short story mode la every fighting game ever interspersed with a little dialogue, the odd boss fight and bookended by some mini-cutscenes. Trying to fit the entirety of the 30-strong cast into a single story appears to be a futile and messy task, filled with compromise.

2. Cloned characters. Wolf, Falco, and Fox. Ganondorf and Captain Falcon. Toon Link and Adult Link. I have no problem with characters sharing certain elements of their playstyle with one another, but Brawl had seven characters that were practically model swaps of one another. I’m adamant in my belief that characters absolutely must have their own individual special moves. Now, I know adding cloned characters takes less effort/time/money than developing a whole new addition to the cast, but I’d happily sacrifice three clones or a game mode for an extra “true” character or two. Imagine replacing Toon/Young Link with Fierce Deity Link instead: give him a slower, stronger set of moves and movements to suit his huge, double-helix sword, maybe the ability to fire projectile discs from it somewhat similar to Link’s regular ol’ Bow n’ Arrow combo, but perhaps faster and with a shorter range. Drop the clones, and instead incorporate fresh characters with their own mechanics and tactics to be mastered.

3. Level design
    Brawl was plagued with simplistic, symmetrical levels. So many of the levels featured in the game were made up of little more than a few small platforms hovering over one larger one. “But that’s all any Smash Bros. game has ever done,” I hear you cry! Nonsense my good fellows, nonsense. Let’s take Onett from Melee for want of an example. Here, there are platforms, but they’re grounded within the universe they’re supposed to be depicting you jump across shop facades, rooftops, tree branches and clotheslines. Compare this with Spear Pillar, Lylat Cruise or Shadow Moses, which lack the organic asymmetry of Onett, and seem content to instead provide some random floating platforms placed in front of a themed background. As a result they feel sterile, shallow and artificial.

4. Smash Balls
    Some of the characters had completely overpowered Final Smash attacks like Sonic's, Fox's.

And there you have it, pretty much all of my niggles with Brawl laid out in a somewhat concise manner. If Nintendo wishes to better Melee and Brawl (at least in my eyes), they’d do well to keep some of these points in mind
  46. Oct 1, 2013
    okay i guess. the story is horrible, and it takes no skill. your just pressing buttons randomly. it just leads to boring gameplay. the 2 best games on the wii are skyward sword and twilight princess

1. Brawl is easily the most fun I’ve had on a Wii, and could be the most fun I’ve had with a game in ages. It’s just that good. There is just so much to do, and so many different and refreshing things added that it would be a crime not to at least take a look.
  2. Rarely has any title delivered so much amazing action, such a wide variety of modes, and so many hours of value. It doesn't get any better than this. [Mar 2008, p.82]
  3. It’s obvious that developer Game Arts have put a painstaking amount of effort into creating this game and every time we play it we’re discovering new Nintendo references which bring back a rush of nostalgia. Brawl’s chaotic multiplayer sessions are some of the best to be had on the system, plus there are plenty of challenges and modes to amuse those ‘friend-impaired’ individuals out there as well. It’s a no-brainer, every serious Nintendo fan out there should score themselves a copy of this game, invite some friends/victims around, and have a smashing good time.