Super Smash Bros. Brawl Wii

8.9

1. Apr 19, 2013
    As someone who got many hours of multiplayer gaming heaven out of Melee, I was very happy to hear about how Nintendo intended to amp the next in the series.

I'm not going to repeat the points you have heard generally, yes it is fantastic, a fantastic roster, Melee's returning "clone characters" fleshed out and some great stages. It's worth buying on these alone. The Subspace Emissary

The Subspace Emissary was a great idea on paper, but missed a trick by not taking the concept beyond some flash CG cutscenes. The bits inbetween involve standard matches and low end 80's platforming. Considering that it has key characters from the platform genre's hayday, you'd think they'd add more elements inspired by the roster of characters, maybe even some original ideas.

The biggest let down is the Online modes that are promised by Nintendo, put simply I have not had a single match since I am forever waiting for the service to match me up with other players. I have had the game since launch and still nothing... which is made worse if you have experienced how well Mario Kart Wii Online has hand this.

To sum up, the game is excellent, Subspace Emissary is a dull missed opertunatey, the fantastic multiplayer still isn't broke and the online equivalent is, unless Nintendo see fit to sort it out, which maybe unlikely since they knowingly sold it in this state after having the very same problem in Japan and the US.

I know there will be fans who won't like this when I say it, heck I'm suprised I'm saying it, but this game really is the definition of flawed genious. This game and it's publisher come from a good pedigree, but don't take everyone's word for it that it's a classic, the hype was definately a step beyond a product that European gamers were made to wait for, which is why I scored it 2 stars overall.
  2. PeterC
    Jul 22, 2008
    Can't remember when I've been more disspointed with a game. The single player is entertaining for about 4 hours, but becomes a chore pretty quick. But of course, this game is all about the multiplayer, but guess what? ONLINE WITH STRANGERS IS COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE. Even with friends you'll find there's often one person who will lag the game so much it is unplayable. So Can't remember when I've been more disspointed with a game. The single player is entertaining for about 4 hours, but becomes a chore pretty quick. But of course, this game is all about the multiplayer, but guess what? ONLINE WITH STRANGERS IS COMPLETELY UNPLAYABLE. Even with friends you'll find there's often one person who will lag the game so much it is unplayable. So unless you know a bunch of people who will come round to play regularly, or you know people who own wiis and the game and can organize to play then it's a waste of money. But even then, as I mentioned it often lags like hell, (and then controls are so unresponsive so the game is simply no fun) My internet connection runs a stead 5-6MB/sec, but I literally cannot get a game against strangers. If I try random games it just searches and searches. Maybe 10 minutes later it might set a game up, but it lags so bad it's just ludicrous. It's not my router or anything else like that- just a problem with nintendo servers I guess. Not only that but when playing against random people, you're not allowed to change options. Its a 2 minute brawl every time. Fortunately I was able to swap this game at the shop a week later. I pity the suckers who got screwed by this. Just google search SSBB and lag and you'll find zillions of people with the problem. So if you expect Brawl to be LIKE EVERY OTHER COMEPTITVE ONLINE GAME IN EXISTENCE where you can just pick it up and play with people whenever you like, prepare for a shock... Graphics sound and gameplay are all amazing. Pity that the thing that makes an online game like this worth buying and playing doesn't actually work. for 90% of the people who buy this game. Expand
  3. eric
    Apr 19, 2008
    One could write a 10-page essay on the many ways Nintendo has screwed over its long-time fans in the past few years. For me, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the greatest example because I am (or was) such a fan of the series. It
  4. PresenT.
    Mar 18, 2008
    This game was fantastic 5 years ago, but I don't accept a recycled game with a few new characters. Online isn't customizable, character list is now very unbalanced, and the new modes leave so much to be desired. Sorry Nintendo, you've seemed to fool everyone else, but not me. Shallow, a failure at best.
  5. Sep 23, 2010
    The commercial and critical success of this game is proof that you could slap Mario's face on the cover of "DESTROY YOUR WII IN ONE EASY STEP" and it'd sell like gangbusters. This game is a slap in the face to truly fantastic multiplayer action titles without half the name recognition.
  6. Jul 25, 2011
    Loved the new characters, stages and game modes, but the multiplayer, by itself, earned this game a zero. Now, any player, no matter how bad, can recover from devastating attacks, break combos, due to "tripping," and keep up with more competent players because of brawls painfully slow frame rate. Also, why did they take out wavedashing and L-canceling? If you dont know what either ofLoved the new characters, stages and game modes, but the multiplayer, by itself, earned this game a zero. Now, any player, no matter how bad, can recover from devastating attacks, break combos, due to "tripping," and keep up with more competent players because of brawls painfully slow frame rate. Also, why did they take out wavedashing and L-canceling? If you dont know what either of those are go buy melee and figure it out. Expand
  7. DudeR.
    Mar 15, 2008
    Only brainwashed Nintendo kids love smashing their buttons for stupid Mario characters. The roster is so boring and rehashed from their entire game lineup and if you really need to play this over over decent games than I feel sorry for you.
  8. Crazychief112
    Mar 12, 2008
    I give this game a zero because you can't even see your own HP, wtf. I think that even if this game had Master Chef it would get an 8. Only because his shooting is awesome. the controls feel wierd and when i kept pushing up on the wiimote my man kept moving left? Worst game ever.
  9. KentL.
    Jun 30, 2008
    It's not a bad game, but it's not a Wii game either. It could work equally on any platform. It takes no advantage of the controls glory that makes the Wii the Wii. In fact, although you could play it with with both the regular controller and the nunchuck, my family finds it easier to play with just the regular controller horizontally as if it was a 1980s through early 00s It's not a bad game, but it's not a Wii game either. It could work equally on any platform. It takes no advantage of the controls glory that makes the Wii the Wii. In fact, although you could play it with with both the regular controller and the nunchuck, my family finds it easier to play with just the regular controller horizontally as if it was a 1980s through early 00s controller! The game is either just a player version player on one screen (ala Rampage) or a solo player side to side w/ slight vertical scrolling platform game. The graphics are good and some of the character animations are attractive. Playing as chars from various games is mildly pleasant but the game does little to deepen them as characters. The sound is average as is the game play for a scroller. I hate the controls. Nothing is more frustrating when I go to shoot left but instead and shooting right, completely missing the target. And don't get me started on trying to jump and not actually jumping. I think the game is fine although I wouldn't have purchased it knowing that's what it is. Collapse
  10. JCAndrew
    Oct 2, 2007
    The game at first is exciting seeing ultimate graphics and more. But playing a million bosses to just get alll the moves for all characters which you don't unlock but have, but have to get moves to play adventure mode and multi-player, when it said you have to unlock certain players. this game dissapointes me, I thought it was about battling, when all it is, is to understand theThe game at first is exciting seeing ultimate graphics and more. But playing a million bosses to just get alll the moves for all characters which you don't unlock but have, but have to get moves to play adventure mode and multi-player, when it said you have to unlock certain players. this game dissapointes me, I thought it was about battling, when all it is, is to understand the strength of those moves and that every power is magnificent, but I do not see how that has to come in hand. the internet source I had looked at every week during the summer is a waste of time, those website creator's have gaven the biggest crapstore information i have ever recieved, which makes the game such a letdown. Thanks Nintendo. Expand
  11. Domingo
    Mar 12, 2008
    The game is a flop. It looks exactly the same as gamecube. The game play is just boring and the new special abilities show you how pathetic the game really is. The fact that there is no imagination left in Nintendo is just really sad. If the game was about 30 dollars cheaper I'd give it a 5.
  12. Ryan
    Mar 17, 2008
    This is waay overrated. Looks just like the gamecube, gameplay isn't much different either and boring. The Wiimote makes it harder to control this time around. There's not much depth to this fighting game. Tekken and SoulCalibur are the ones you should be playing!
  13. CurtisR.
    Mar 20, 2008
    Bad ai, bad controls, Space Station Emassary Sucks, unbalanced characters. This game is attrocious.
  14. JayB.
    Mar 30, 2008
    Nintendo really understands the meaning of "cash cow, because they are really milking this concept dry of all of its novelty and flavor. Brawl is more of the same thing we've been waiting and expecting for almost a decade and I'm not impressed at all. Yes it is fun because Smash bros. in general is fun, but that's not the point. The point is to utilize the full power of new Nintendo really understands the meaning of "cash cow, because they are really milking this concept dry of all of its novelty and flavor. Brawl is more of the same thing we've been waiting and expecting for almost a decade and I'm not impressed at all. Yes it is fun because Smash bros. in general is fun, but that's not the point. The point is to utilize the full power of new technology and create something different and meaningful rather than clone the previous game with "sweeter graphix and soundz!!!1!1". Yes Smash bros is fun, but gimmicky plastic add ons are not. I have just as much fun playing the original Smash bros, if not more. It's so sad that developers are getting more and more lazy the better the technology becomes Expand
  15. AreYouSerious
    May 28, 2008
    There is no function served in playing this - all you do is mash buttons and it has no real impact on anything. What a waste of money.
  16. DrewH.
    Jun 15, 2008
    Terrible Fighting Techniques, very bad combat system, repetitive techniques, no competitive factor. Huge letdown in general. I regret wasting 60$ on this game.
  17. JamesM.
    Jul 16, 2008
    Meele on a new platform, which was the original SSB on a new platform. 3 games in and nothing has changed. This...irritates me.
  18. feldeghast
    Jul 25, 2008
    I hated it. Button mashing at its worst. Mortal Kombat 1 on the SNES was more fun. A to hit, C to Jump and nothing else. Characters were too small to see and the pace was too fast. I finished it on my first try and half the time couldn't understand how i was winning. I'm so glad i only rented it from the video store.
  19. JoyceChristenson
    Oct 2, 2007
    I had played it for a very long time, I am only half way, and I am still playing it. I got a special given copy for me in the beginning of august, and now it is October. i have been playing 7 hours every weekend, 10 hours every summer day, 3 hours every normal weekday, and I'm only 46% accomplished. The game has been overdone and too long. And people think they are still inI had played it for a very long time, I am only half way, and I am still playing it. I got a special given copy for me in the beginning of august, and now it is October. i have been playing 7 hours every weekend, 10 hours every summer day, 3 hours every normal weekday, and I'm only 46% accomplished. The game has been overdone and too long. And people think they are still in production of the game, because every week they add something new to the game, when the game itself is done, and has been done since June. Expand
  20. MarkusE
    Oct 5, 2007
    Looks like just more of the same. Rumble Falls = Icicle Mountain 2 (yet another vertical scroller). Pokemon Stadium 2? Yawn. Trophies back. Subspace Emissary? 1P Adventure Mode II with some trace of a story. SSBB can be summarized as follows: "New characters. New items. New stages. SAME OLD GAMEPLAY."
  21. JaredChristenson
    Aug 26, 2007
    After I went to a special gameplay viewing I found myself...dissapointed, its a really bad game. Its actually overall the worst game ever, you know why, I will tell you why. The games characters have moves that are too powerfull that each level is over in less than 20 seconds, its so hard to play, find out the controlls, and follow. It doesn't flow with any other game of Nintendo,After I went to a special gameplay viewing I found myself...dissapointed, its a really bad game. Its actually overall the worst game ever, you know why, I will tell you why. The games characters have moves that are too powerfull that each level is over in less than 20 seconds, its so hard to play, find out the controlls, and follow. It doesn't flow with any other game of Nintendo, and the Wii doesn't do anything to this game but make it a bigger product because you don't even use the numchuck for cripe sake. To me its big popular waste of money, its a letdown that I wouldn't even buy for free. It sucks. Expand
  22. JT
    Feb 23, 2008
    This game is HORRIBLE. I imported it on my japanese wii and I have never been so dissapointed in a game before. Seriously this is a pitiful excuse for a fighting game. Not to mention the wii mote is useless on this game. I had such high anticipation and I am so let down. Major dissapointment. Solid Snake is UNSTOPABLE on this game.
  23. DJTrasatti
    Feb 26, 2008
    Look - I'm a huuuuge nintendo fan. I had the first system when i was 8 when it first came out. Yeah... i even had ROB. But come on, is anyone else sick of all the hype around this game? I'm just sick of every gamestop employee pushing this thing on me like Jesus himself handed it down from the cross.
    BLAH!!! I respect every Nintendo franchise - but it's time they focus on
    BLAH!!! I respect every Nintendo franchise - but it's time they focus on some serious 3rd party games. Melee was a great nod to the nostalgia that nostalgia is and was, let's move on.
  24. joycechristenson
    Feb 5, 2008
    There is so much to do, you wouldn't have the chance to even try everything once you sell it. To me this is a waste of time. The effects are cheesy, but it doesn't have that cheaky quirk crap like last time. But its weak, its no fun, it is slow, boring, and dull, a dud, just makes the WII look even more worse. Just awful.
  25. Dark
    Mar 11, 2008
    You've played this game before, back when it was called "Super Smash Bros. Melee" - consider Brawl as something of an "expansion pack" and you'll enjoy it. But don't expect anything spectacular.
  26. KalP.
    Mar 15, 2008
    I didn't get it. This game is so overrated. The gameplay is so chaotic and out of control...you can't even focus, see where you are on the screen cause there's so much going on! The controls are bland and especially awkward being able to pick 4 different types of controllers to use from. If you want a great fighting game, I'd go back to Street Fighter. This was not I didn't get it. This game is so overrated. The gameplay is so chaotic and out of control...you can't even focus, see where you are on the screen cause there's so much going on! The controls are bland and especially awkward being able to pick 4 different types of controllers to use from. If you want a great fighting game, I'd go back to Street Fighter. This was not worth my time. Good graphics and presentation though. Expand
  27. TheNumberQ.
    Mar 16, 2008
    I have to say, I've played the series since the beginning, and this one really disappoints me. I gave it a one just because its better than most of the other trash being made for the wii.
  28. NathanL.
    Mar 23, 2008
    Very little difference from Melee. Poor utilization of the wii's capabilities, in fact I can't stand playing it on the wiimote and have to use the GC controller. It's just the same game with a few new characters.
  29. MearshG.
    Mar 28, 2008
    Not a very good game, so overrated.
  30. ZachC.
    Apr 12, 2008
    Bored after 2 minutes. I don't get the hype.

1. Brawl is easily the most fun I’ve had on a Wii, and could be the most fun I’ve had with a game in ages. It’s just that good. There is just so much to do, and so many different and refreshing things added that it would be a crime not to at least take a look.
  2. Rarely has any title delivered so much amazing action, such a wide variety of modes, and so many hours of value. It doesn't get any better than this. [Mar 2008, p.82]
  3. It’s obvious that developer Game Arts have put a painstaking amount of effort into creating this game and every time we play it we’re discovering new Nintendo references which bring back a rush of nostalgia. Brawl’s chaotic multiplayer sessions are some of the best to be had on the system, plus there are plenty of challenges and modes to amuse those ‘friend-impaired’ individuals out there as well. It’s a no-brainer, every serious Nintendo fan out there should score themselves a copy of this game, invite some friends/victims around, and have a smashing good time.