Super Smash Bros. Brawl Wii

8.9

1. KRBeeL.
    Mar 15, 2008
    Yes. This game is quite enjoyable when you have company around, but when you play by yourself, this game is quite average. What didn't work for me is the way Nintendo nelfed up some of the characters. Marth's blade is short now. Fox and Falco moves aren't like they use to be, not to mention Fox has been downgraded into an average fighter. Even though this could be the very Yes. This game is quite enjoyable when you have company around, but when you play by yourself, this game is quite average. What didn't work for me is the way Nintendo nelfed up some of the characters. Marth's blade is short now. Fox and Falco moves aren't like they use to be, not to mention Fox has been downgraded into an average fighter. Even though this could be the very LAST Smash Bros game, it deserves a good score. Sakurai did say he want this game to be FUN and enjoyable and I respect that. Expand
  2. GeneG.
    Mar 16, 2008
    Didn't play Melee; clearly I'm in the minority on that one; but I have already got more enjoyment out of this game than I did out of the similarly priced Halo 3. This is a lovingly crafted game with hours and hours of enjoyment. I'm glad I bought it.
  3. LydellF.
    Mar 24, 2008
    Never cared for this series, and had to actually be at my cousin's house to see the new one in action. Tried out the adventure mode and couldn't resist the Old School charm especially with Kid Icarus. I bought one within 24 hours.
  4. MikhailR.
    Mar 26, 2008
    I've been an SSB diehard since the first game int he series. I pride myself in absolutely dominating all comers, and now I get brawl. I haven't played a single game since I've gotten my copy of Brawl, and I have to say it has yet to get old. Not counting the several thousand hours (no exaggeration) of replay value, and the non-stop party-on-a-cd known as multiplayer, the I've been an SSB diehard since the first game int he series. I pride myself in absolutely dominating all comers, and now I get brawl. I haven't played a single game since I've gotten my copy of Brawl, and I have to say it has yet to get old. Not counting the several thousand hours (no exaggeration) of replay value, and the non-stop party-on-a-cd known as multiplayer, the game has online. Now, I can fight my friends ONLINE. Need I ask for more? Answer: You'd be a complete douche to do so. IT replaces Galaxies as the must-have game for hte system. Honestly, if your a fan of the series and you don't like this game, something is wrong with you. Expand
  5. PedroH.
    Mar 28, 2008
    melee was better in many ways than this piece of garbage! yeah, melee had vastly overpowered characters, so powerfull that using a character that wasnt marth, sheik or fox was suicide! it had more collectables,better adventure mode, it is way better than brawl, besides, i am a god in melee, to prove it i will play anyone in an online match and defeat them.........WAIT!!!
  6. ColtonT
    May 25, 2009
    The Subspace Emissary is garbage, but offline multiplayer is bad ass enough to get a 10 from me.
  7. JohnD
    Nov 23, 2008
    "Spartian Gamer1342 gave it a5: This game sucks. Halo has better fps controls, better graphics, better online, a larger selection of guns." Now, anybody who gives this game a 6 or lower... they can relate to how stupid this guy is.
  8. Dec 9, 2014
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a game that you should have in your Wii collection. Its content and modes will keep you busy for a looooooooong time. Its main focus is brawling with Nintendo characters with the exception of 2 other characters that i won't mention. It contains more than 25 characters in its roster that will satisfy you for a long time. But it has problems, firstly, the on lineSuper Smash Bros. Brawl is a game that you should have in your Wii collection. Its content and modes will keep you busy for a looooooooong time. Its main focus is brawling with Nintendo characters with the exception of 2 other characters that i won't mention. It contains more than 25 characters in its roster that will satisfy you for a long time. But it has problems, firstly, the on line in this game is horrible, you can barely get connected with anyone, then there is the tripping, its annoying, unnecessary and dumb. There is a mode called The Subspace Emissary which is Adventure Mode and it is... okay. Overall, this game is a must-buy for the Wii and you will be proud to have it in your collection. Expand
  9. Nov 21, 2014
    Best game of all time. So much content that will you keep you playing this game for ages. It's a shame that Nintendo had to shut down the online because Basic Brawl is really popular and NEVER lagged for me.
  10. MikeK.
    Apr 25, 2008
    absolutely fantastic. Everything a gamer could want piled into a super-mash up fighting game.
  11. JailS.
    Apr 25, 2008
    This is the best game on the Wii, even if the online service is rather lukewarm- But who cares, you get to beat the crud out of people from around the world or your friends, AND you get to shame them with your taunts.
  12. TraceMartel
    Feb 5, 2008
    Super Smash Brothers Brawl has acheived perfection in its series and is more exciting and fun now more than ever. With easy to use controls, tons of game modes, hundreds of unlockables, over 40 stages to brawl at, and a variety of characters to choose from; this game will have you coming back for more and more over the years to come.
  13. JettersB.
    Aug 1, 2008
    Even though I've only played the first game a few times, I still got into the game once I got a Gamecube and Melee to go with it. Brawl is one of the best games you can get for the Wii in a slew of terrible games that seem to pop up for the Wii every week. The controls are basic, so even people who don't play fighting games much less any video games can learn the basics. The new Even though I've only played the first game a few times, I still got into the game once I got a Gamecube and Melee to go with it. Brawl is one of the best games you can get for the Wii in a slew of terrible games that seem to pop up for the Wii every week. The controls are basic, so even people who don't play fighting games much less any video games can learn the basics. The new adventure mode, called Subspace Emissary, is one of the many interesting features that's been put into Brawl. Even though it's pretty fun, it get's repetitive going through maze after maze fighting enemies made specifically for this mode. It's not all bad, but the plot, enemies and levels could've been better. Multiplayer is likely what the Super Smash Bros. franchise is so well-known for. Brawl took it up a notch by adding Co-op modes to many of the previously one-player exclusive modes, like Home-run Contest (where you try to send a Sandbag flying for the longest distance) and Event matches (where you fight under certain conditions). Another new feature is playing online, where you can play other people across the globe. Only problem is the online support: It takes a while to find other people and matches also have disconnecting lag (not that other online games don't, but Brawl has them more frequently). Aside from that, multiplayer still rules. Many people here might say that "Brawl is just like the other games, but with more features and characters" or some other reason. Brawl is still the way it is because that's the basis for the gameplay, like the Mario games, yet I don't hear people complaining about Super Mario World being just like the earlier games. Most of the other complaints from these reviewers are complaints from non-gamers who don't read the manual, Half-baked complaints over the stupidest things, or Xbox fans who've likely never played it and are deliberately giving it bad reviews just to promote their egos. All in all, whether you like fighting games or not, whether you're a fan of the Smash series or this is your first game, whether you're a long-time Nintendo fan or a newcomer, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is definately worth trying out. Expand
  14. ChrisG.
    Nov 24, 2009
    Good, but not Great. I pre-ordered this with great anticipation, as soon as I could. Nintendo gave it like a year's wait when they announced it, to the day it was released. I was tense, waiting to get my hands on this game after playing it's two great prequels. On getting it, I popped that fucker in, and braced for epic. What did I get? One step backwards. Now, I may seem like Good, but not Great. I pre-ordered this with great anticipation, as soon as I could. Nintendo gave it like a year's wait when they announced it, to the day it was released. I was tense, waiting to get my hands on this game after playing it's two great prequels. On getting it, I popped that fucker in, and braced for epic. What did I get? One step backwards. Now, I may seem like i'm coming off aggressive, but the person behind this keyboard happens to be a huge fan of this series. For me to type this up, says alot. The graphics, were an improvement, sure. But it was sadly tainted with a dull-look, it looked less colorful than SSBM, it lacked the lustour and life that its prequel had. The gameplay was essentially the same, same moves, (changed moveset for some characters) and only added a 'smash ball' which allows said user to summon a finishing move. Most of these finishing moves were uneffective, and a better job of killing the enemy off could be done with a well-timed smash attack. The characters, well they added a few new ones, but at the cost of REMOVING some fond ones, like Roy, Dr.Mario, Mewtwo and Young link, But hey, don't worry. They sortof added them back but under different names like. Ike, Lucario, Toon-link. The wi-fi sucked. It simply, sucked. It lagged, like crazy. People disconnect, like crazy, the community are mostly comprised of 10 year olds, waiting for a match took 5 solid minutes. The story was okay, it was innovative where it came to adding characters into the story, but the plot sucked, it never told you as to why R.O.B. blew shit up, it never said who tabuu was, it never said why Bowser and Ganon became so rich, they bought a huge space cannon and plotted domination. The sound, was fuckin' A. soundtrack artists from sega, konami, square enix and other companies chipped in to make it a eargasm. In short, if this was too long to read, It's essentially the same game, with no pro's but a smash ball. The 'new characters' arent as they seem, half of them are re-skinned favorites like Mewtwo, and Roy. And half of the time, they're two of the same character (ness and lucas) 8/10, only because it RESEMBLES the epic that was melee Expand
  15. UncleR
    Mar 11, 2009
    The multiplaying on this game is pure awesome. Even with only 2 players you can spend like 5 hours straight with this game and the single playing ain't half bad eather. Love the Subspace Emissary too. The only minus on the game is the internet gaming 'cause of it's tiring waiting times and lags, but since SMB is new with it, I forgive the little flaw. But the game is no The multiplaying on this game is pure awesome. Even with only 2 players you can spend like 5 hours straight with this game and the single playing ain't half bad eather. Love the Subspace Emissary too. The only minus on the game is the internet gaming 'cause of it's tiring waiting times and lags, but since SMB is new with it, I forgive the little flaw. But the game is no doubt a must purchase for Wii owners and fighting game fans. Expand
  16. ZacH.
    Mar 18, 2008
    This game was the fastest-selling game ever. Packed with as much content as a dual-layer dvd can hold, it has everything you could ever want from the series. The new story mode, "Subspace Emissary", the map builder mode, and being able to play online makes it that much better.
  17. JustinB.
    Mar 25, 2008
    Amazing.. that's really all I can say.
  18. May 24, 2015
    Brawl was the best Smash Bros game for it's time, with one of the most impressive rosters in any game. The game features a ton of characters and maps that will keep you playing for hours on end. The soundtrack is huge and the graphics are very good for it's time. After so many years of playing Melee, Brawl was a fresh breath of air.
  19. Oct 12, 2015
    Very fun to play with other people offline. There's nothing like playing with someone 1vs1 without items in your created stages. Single player is fun too, especially Break The Targets -mode. Other than that, single player is kind of stale.
  20. Feb 11, 2015
    Brawl Is a very strong Title for Super smash brothers, It added A LOT of content, Such as stage builder, Many new characters, and an adventure/story with very good cutscenes, Although I find the enemies dumb and I don't like the platforming aspect of it. Multiplayer was alright while it was still up, a bit of lag here and there. The smash ball is an awesome new addition as well. If youBrawl Is a very strong Title for Super smash brothers, It added A LOT of content, Such as stage builder, Many new characters, and an adventure/story with very good cutscenes, Although I find the enemies dumb and I don't like the platforming aspect of it. Multiplayer was alright while it was still up, a bit of lag here and there. The smash ball is an awesome new addition as well. If you don't own this game, and you have a Wii, You should take the walk of shame to a Game store and buy it already!

Once you have played this game, You will also have played Smash Bros for the Wii U. If you plan on buying the sequel, be prepared for disappointment should you go down this path.
  21. May 12, 2017
    After the fantastic "Super Smash Bros. Melee," fans were pumped up when they heard about the fact that the Wii was getting a new "Super Smash Bros." game, this one titled "Super Smash Bros. Brawl." The game was also released at one of the best times to be a Wii owner: the Wii had just seen new entries in "The Legend of Zelda," "Metroid," and "Super Mario" franchises, all of which wereAfter the fantastic "Super Smash Bros. Melee," fans were pumped up when they heard about the fact that the Wii was getting a new "Super Smash Bros." game, this one titled "Super Smash Bros. Brawl." The game was also released at one of the best times to be a Wii owner: the Wii had just seen new entries in "The Legend of Zelda," "Metroid," and "Super Mario" franchises, all of which were released to critical acclaim, and "Brawl" was the culmination of all this. And even though the game was rather controversial, it still turned out to be pretty fantastic.
    After all these years, it's still fun to play, it's still spilling out content, it's got a surprising great single player "story" mode (The Subspace Emissary, in case you forgot), an outstanding cast of characters, plenty of great stages, and a phenomenal soundtrack, with plenty of songs from plenty of composers and eras of gaming that wonderfully capture the spirit of their original versions.
    That said, "Brawl" is very controversial among many fans, myself included. Where Melee was extremely fast-paced and technical, "Brawl" caters more to casual fans, removing many forms of tech skill and slowing down the game's speed so as to allow newcomers to not struggle as much, and because of this, the game just isn't as fun as "Melee." On top of that, the game isn't wonderfully balanced: Meta Knight and Ice Climbers are obviously known for being overpowered, but beyond that, it genuinely seems like too many of the best characters in the game are newcomers (I'm going by the tier-list here), and many of the worst characters are veterans (again, tier list), which kinda tells me that Masahiro Sakurai put a little more emphasis on making those newcomers amazing this time around.
    Even so, "Brawl" is an incredible fun ride and, even if you're a huge Melee fanatic like I am, you should still give "Brawl" a fair shot. It's plenty of fun, and it's a very well-crafted game.
    Final rating: 9 out of 10 "Awesome"
  22. Apr 18, 2016
    Incredible fighting/adventure game.
    Unlike other fighting games, this one brings a lot new to the table, its main selling points obviously being its family friendly nature and 4 player multiplayer.
  23. Dec 4, 2014
    Truly the best game in the Smash Bros series. (At least until I played Smash for Wii U, that is) It is without a doubt, perfect. One thing people complain about is that melee was better. I don't understand why anyone would speak of such wild claims. Brawl has better characters, no annoying, uncreative clones, (the few clones left in the game were made a bit more unique), more stages thatTruly the best game in the Smash Bros series. (At least until I played Smash for Wii U, that is) It is without a doubt, perfect. One thing people complain about is that melee was better. I don't understand why anyone would speak of such wild claims. Brawl has better characters, no annoying, uncreative clones, (the few clones left in the game were made a bit more unique), more stages that have more unique gimmicks and personality to them, stage builder, Online multiplayer, more and better items, the option to change music frequency (which was incredible to me), and a masterpiece of an Adventure Mode, compared to Melee's, which is horrid. The Subspace Emissary has a beautiful story line and is completely accomplished with no speech. If that isn't a true masterpiece, I don't know what is.

People complain that Brawl has tripping, laggy internet, and poor framerate, but is devoid of wave-dashing and L-canceling. ALL of this is utter NONSENSE. The only time I had lag issues online was with my friend who lived 5 minutes away, but my whole house had wifi troubles for the brief period, as I was skyping him at the same time. If you have laggy internet matches, that's your fault, not the game's. Plus, at least brawl has online matches, unlike melee. Its better than nothing. The framerate supposedly runs at 60fps, and i never noticed it dropping. It all seemed rather fluent to me. Maybe try dusting off your wii, eh complainers? Tripping also never occurred to me as an issue, except on Icy stages, but that was the gimmick. Perhaps tripping others was put in as a tactical technique to stun the opponent, since i was never able to figure it out.

Speaking of which, I have never heard of Melee's advance techniques until a few months ago, and I had the game since 2008-ish. Wave dashing looks pointless unless you're Luigi, because theress this function in the game called normal dashing, that is equally as effective and so much easier to pull off. L-canceling actually looks useful, but it was not supposed to be in the game. It is sort of like an unpatched bug, and hence, using the technique would be cheating in a sense. Plus, its about as cheap as tripping others.

Snake is not gonna be in Smash 4. Give it up, fanboys.

Same with Ridley.

And Roy from Fire Emblem.
  24. Dec 9, 2014
    This and Wii Sports Resort are the reasons why I still own my Wii, this game is just as good as Melee. I really like how you can use multiple controllers, even the Wii remote and nunchuck. The single player is a little bit boring but fun, gameplay is great, the 2 player is fun especially in the campaign which makes the story better.

Pros: Fun 2 player Great gameplay Good combat

Pros: Fun 2 player
    Great gameplay
    Good combat mechanics

Cons: Repitive Story
  25. Nov 27, 2014
    This game was not as good as melee although it was a very good experience. The game-play is slow and easier then melee. However, melee is much faster and more precise which makes it more difficult. I recommend playing this game before melee because the game-play is not as strenuous but this game is honestly a solid 8 overall!
  26. Dec 3, 2014
    It's Smash Bros. It's good. The only bad things are the limits of the Stage Builder, the tripping, and how some usually cartoon-like characters were made realistic. Just a few nit-picks, but an overall amazing game.
  27. Dec 8, 2014
    If you want to play this as a family game, you'll love it because of the amount of content in it.
    If you want to play it as a competitive game, I say that this game isn't for you. It's got a lot of unnecessary things such as tripping, and some characters are simply Over-Powered.
  28. Jan 7, 2015
    This game is literally perfect, I mean PERFECT. There is nothing I didn't like about this game. There is a large variety of characters, character animations that stay true to their original games, great graphics (especially for the Wii), and a wide set of combos and smash moves. It also has a stage creator which can be a lot of fun too. This is one of the only games in which the Wii remoteThis game is literally perfect, I mean PERFECT. There is nothing I didn't like about this game. There is a large variety of characters, character animations that stay true to their original games, great graphics (especially for the Wii), and a wide set of combos and smash moves. It also has a stage creator which can be a lot of fun too. This is one of the only games in which the Wii remote and nun-chuck actually worked great with. This game is absurdly fun to play with friends and family or even by yourself! 10/10 (Masterpiece) Expand
  29. Apr 11, 2015
    The single greatest game ever made content wise.
    You can really tell so much heart and soul went into making this masterpiece. A perfect game all around.
  30. Dec 30, 2014
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a highly addicting party fighting game that I've put in over 100 hours of playing. Its only flaw is in how unbalanced everything is and The Great Maze. But other than that, this is a truly fantastic fighting game.

#1 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#1 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

1. Brawl is easily the most fun I’ve had on a Wii, and could be the most fun I’ve had with a game in ages. It’s just that good. There is just so much to do, and so many different and refreshing things added that it would be a crime not to at least take a look.
  2. Nintendo Power
    Rarely has any title delivered so much amazing action, such a wide variety of modes, and so many hours of value. It doesn't get any better than this. [Mar 2008, p.82]
  3. It’s obvious that developer Game Arts have put a painstaking amount of effort into creating this game and every time we play it we’re discovering new Nintendo references which bring back a rush of nostalgia. Brawl’s chaotic multiplayer sessions are some of the best to be had on the system, plus there are plenty of challenges and modes to amuse those ‘friend-impaired’ individuals out there as well. It’s a no-brainer, every serious Nintendo fan out there should score themselves a copy of this game, invite some friends/victims around, and have a smashing good time.