7.1

1. Apr 26, 2014
    This is probably the worst Tales of game out there...and it tried to be a sequel to the best Tales of game! The plot comes out of nowhere after the first game the two new characters, though rather well developed, are still lame in comparison to the original eight and will leave you wanting to play as the original eight. Which you can't do. Even if they're in your party.

The remixed

The remixed music is nice, but the visual presentation just butchers everything from the original game and the lack of an explorable overworld is a sore disappointment.

Dawn of the New World comes off as a game that wasn't supposed to be related to Symphonia at all, but lacked the budget to stand alone. Theres even this new monster raising system that they put in instead of having new or old characters fight with you. was this supposed to be a monster rancher?

While you do go through new areas, you still have to go to old dungeons to hunt for the 8 elements AGAIN. The temples have some changes, but you're still just going through a bastardized version of the temples from the original. The only real big differences are the little back alleyways that they slapped behind the summon spirit altars.

I don't think it's the worst game ever (though it is the worst I've played.) I can't be kinder to it because it's a shame this thing is associated with Tales of Symphonia.
  2. Feb 7, 2014
    Let me first just say I have never been more let down in my life than the day I got this game.

-Graphics I'm going to start with the positive here, graphically I think this game was a step up from the first game and while not greatly impressive they still don't weigh the game down and fit fairly well as an enhanced version of the first games graphical style. -Gameplay- The

-Graphics

-Gameplay-

The select-a-destination world map system definitely breaks immersion compared to it's predecessor and is pretty terrible as a whole but that's something I could forgive. Where the game really does you wrong is the combat; Stale (techs with terrible combo-ability, repetitive even to the first game), attacks that break the flow of combat by triggering cut-scenes during combat which become painfully repetitive. Terrible implementation of a heavily Pokemon inspired system(see NiNoKuni for better implementation).

-Sound-

Don't get me started on how terrible the voice acting is, the first games voice acting fit and was definitely passable albeit cheesy at times but this game takes everything ToS did right and defecates all over it. To sum it up it was: extremely cheesy, lacking any believable emotion, poorly timed and worst of all it just didn't fit with a solid 90% of the characters (notably the first games protagonist, Lloyd). The sound design while not terrible was definitely not something worth mentioning.

-Story-

Somewhat similar to the first games story which is alright for a sequel. But they try to make this dark tone that ends up coming off as cheesy and pretty boring but again I could have forgiven that. The worst part about the story is that for a sequel it's incredibly inconsistent with the first game, they pull plot devices out of nowhere that have no relation to or directly contradict the happenings in the first ie. summon spirits and Centurions (don't you think we should have known about those in the first game??). Honestly I think the story is fine on paper but is so poorly implemented into the game that it just comes off as if it was written by a child.

-Characters-

Emil is one of the most annoying characters I've heard he's whiny at first and when he's not whiny they try to give him this cool, dark, hero attitude but they try way too hard and it ends up being just as annoying. Marta's character can be annoying at times but nowhere near as bad as Emil. The other new characters aren't notable except maybe Tenebrae who can be pretty witty, as for the old character's none of them seem to fit.

This game does a few things right but it's too-little-too late, if you're a fan of the original steer clear from this game, I've tried 3 times to play this game each time I've dedicated myself to this game, giving it another clean slate and a fair chance I can never get more than half way through the game. If I had to choose 1 word to express this game I would choose: disappointing or lackluster.

Wii gamers desperate for a role-playing game, particularly those that enjoyed the first Symphonia, might be able to overlook Dawn of the New World's tired gameplay and convoluted story.
  2. Though the battle system is improved, an erratic difficulty, budget production values, and a poorly-paced story keep Dawn of the New World from royalty status. In some ways, it’s a worthy successor to the original, but it’s ultimately just another passable action RPG.
  3. If you can look past the last-last-gen flaws that absolutely should be gone by now, there’s a totally playable bit of gaming here that’ll scratch your RPG itch for the time being.