7.1

1. May 23, 2017
    Right away, you have to know, this about half the size of a standard RPG game. It plays like any other Tales game and has some cool features, like a monster development system; which feels forced at first, but works.

Combat is still fun and tense as it always has been. The story and characters seemed forced and almost plays as an epilogue to the original title and the main plot doesn't seem to even matter once you get further in the game. Despite the fact that the newer characters do tend to grow on you, EVENTUALLY.

I liked the game overall and by the time I was losing interest in the story, the game was finished. I think it being a shorter game worked out for me. But for the price it was originally sold at, I can see where the anger for the game comes from.
  2. Aug 26, 2011
    Pales in comparison to its predecessor. A mildly interesting story and the ability to capture monsters is what drives this game. Honestly the tales series could have gone without this title.
  3. Oct 27, 2012
    This is one of those games that you just wish was never made. Not because it was that bad, but simply because it was a disgrace to it's predecessor. The game it self isn't bad, the combat system is pretty good and the story is also fine, though it's not nearly as epic as the original games story was. But what really bothers me about this game is two things:

1. The game is too short.

1. The game is too short.

2. It messes up with the personallity of the original character, ruining a fantastic game universe.

But in it itself the game is still pretty good and if it hadn't been a successor to the original game and just a game in itself, it would have been pretty nice. So therefore i give it a 6/10 even though it a disgrace to the original game.
  4. Jun 1, 2011
    Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is very much a fan service game. It was made with fans of the GameCube/Playstation 2 game in mind. The game only gives you two new playable characters and a handful of new characters in the world while you revisit old locations with new paint jobs. Most of the music is carried over as well. That being said, the game does a good job at creating aTales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is very much a fan service game. It was made with fans of the GameCube/Playstation 2 game in mind. The game only gives you two new playable characters and a handful of new characters in the world while you revisit old locations with new paint jobs. Most of the music is carried over as well. That being said, the game does a good job at creating a new conflict that drags everyone into it. The Norse background greatly influences the game's story. The game has a very slow start as you play as Emil, a whiny annoying child who suddenly grows a pair while he's in battle and in his "Ratatosk Mode", you almost wish that this mode continues for the rest of the game. But if you played the original and can suffer a bit of annoying voice acting then you'll be able to enjoy the game. Expand
  5. Oct 1, 2011
    I was a huge fan of Tales of Symphonia on the GC so I was very excited for this sequel. But unfortunately, this game lacks everything that made its predecessor great. First and foremost, a lot of assets from the previous game are re-used here so you'll see/hear many things from the last game. The two new stars of the game spend nearly the entirety of the story game whining nonstop, takingI was a huge fan of Tales of Symphonia on the GC so I was very excited for this sequel. But unfortunately, this game lacks everything that made its predecessor great. First and foremost, a lot of assets from the previous game are re-used here so you'll see/hear many things from the last game. The two new stars of the game spend nearly the entirety of the story game whining nonstop, taking away from an otherwise good story. The battle system is intact but replacing characters with a Pokemon-esque monster catching/developing system simply makes most fights frustrating than fun. You can use the returning characters but in limit form as they'll join and leave your party as the story progresses and their levels/equipment are static. The game is also severely unbalanced so be ready to died, sit through un-skippable cutscenes and grind a lot. This game is basically a poorly made sequel to milk the original. If you really enjoyed its predecessor than Dawn of the New World is worth trying but honestly, your time would be better spent re-playing the original Tales of Symphonia. Expand
  6. Nov 8, 2013
    Not great. I was really looking forward to play this sequel, but it was not at all something I could compare with it's predecessor in terms of fun. The game was sometimes messy and harder in combat, capturing monsters felt useless to me since why would i want to use a random x monster instead of a party member? Oh well, this is one fo those games I am anxiously waiting to end so i couldNot great. I was really looking forward to play this sequel, but it was not at all something I could compare with it's predecessor in terms of fun. The game was sometimes messy and harder in combat, capturing monsters felt useless to me since why would i want to use a random x monster instead of a party member? Oh well, this is one fo those games I am anxiously waiting to end so i could play something else, it also made me feel like not wanting to play Tales Games anymore, but I will. Expand
  7. Jan 9, 2011
    I didn't play the first ToS, but this game has a decent story line and an interesting combat system. It was enjoyable to play, but the game feels very slow paced. Another major problem is the inability to skip cut scenes. It makes dying that much more frustrating. Combine that with the game being ordered like Save Point - MASSIVE CUTSCENE - Hard battle, it makes it that much worse.

It

It kept me interested through the game, but there were times where I had to take breaks from it so I wouldn't rage having to watch a 5+ minute segment of cut scenes again.

All in all, the game felt like I was playing Pokemon mashed up with Star Ocean.

Also, about what FozzyU said - he obviously never read the battle tutorials that the game forces you to go through in the first few battles. You push (-) in order to switch targets. Or you could just switch to Manual. Either way.
  8. FozzyU
    Jun 2, 2009
    The sequel to the Gamecube game, this game takes a drastic change in it's gameplay. Played more like an interactive anime cartoon than a video game, you'll be spending most of your time watching in-game cut-screens than exploring dungeons and developing your character. The combat is also worse than it's predecessor. While trying to remain similar to the previous game, The sequel to the Gamecube game, this game takes a drastic change in it's gameplay. Played more like an interactive anime cartoon than a video game, you'll be spending most of your time watching in-game cut-screens than exploring dungeons and developing your character. The combat is also worse than it's predecessor. While trying to remain similar to the previous game, DotnW's combat is slow and frustrating. If for no other reason than the fact that you cannot switch your target without having to resort to "tricks" by switching characters until your previous character's AI switches it's target, and switch back. This becomes frustratingly obvious on "boss" fights where you need to attack the healer to prevent them from casting a heal, but your character is "locked" into the other guys. However, the amount of voice acting and a continued deep story (sorry, you'll have to play the other game to really understand what's going on) makes this game enjoy able enough to slog your way through. Expand

#19 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#24 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008

Wii gamers desperate for a role-playing game, particularly those that enjoyed the first Symphonia, might be able to overlook Dawn of the New World's tired gameplay and convoluted story.
  2. Though the battle system is improved, an erratic difficulty, budget production values, and a poorly-paced story keep Dawn of the New World from royalty status. In some ways, it’s a worthy successor to the original, but it’s ultimately just another passable action RPG.
  3. If you can look past the last-last-gen flaws that absolutely should be gone by now, there’s a totally playable bit of gaming here that’ll scratch your RPG itch for the time being.