7.3

1. Jun 1, 2011
    Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is very much a fan service game. It was made with fans of the GameCube/Playstation 2 game in mind. The game only gives you two new playable characters and a handful of new characters in the world while you revisit old locations with new paint jobs. Most of the music is carried over as well. That being said, the game does a good job at creating a new conflict that drags everyone into it. The Norse background greatly influences the game's story. The game has a very slow start as you play as Emil, a whiny annoying child who suddenly grows a pair while he's in battle and in his "Ratatosk Mode", you almost wish that this mode continues for the rest of the game. But if you played the original and can suffer a bit of annoying voice acting then you'll be able to enjoy the game. Expand
  2. Mar 17, 2011
    While I'm a little disappointed that they took away the free-roaming world that's present from the first game, (and in other games such as Tales of Vesperia), I'm overall rather impressed. They did a good job of fan service for those who played the first game in the series--hopefully this will inspire them to make future sequels to take us back to some pretty good prior stories.
  3. Jan 9, 2011
    I didn't play the first ToS, but this game has a decent story line and an interesting combat system. It was enjoyable to play, but the game feels very slow paced. Another major problem is the inability to skip cut scenes. It makes dying that much more frustrating. Combine that with the game being ordered like Save Point - MASSIVE CUTSCENE - Hard battle, it makes it that much worse.

It
    kept me interested through the game, but there were times where I had to take breaks from it so I wouldn't rage having to watch a 5+ minute segment of cut scenes again.

All in all, the game felt like I was playing Pokemon mashed up with Star Ocean.

Also, about what FozzyU said - he obviously never read the battle tutorials that the game forces you to go through in the first few battles. You push (-) in order to switch targets. Or you could just switch to Manual. Either way.
  4. Oct 1, 2011
    I was a huge fan of Tales of Symphonia on the GC so I was very excited for this sequel. But unfortunately, this game lacks everything that made its predecessor great. First and foremost, a lot of assets from the previous game are re-used here so you'll see/hear many things from the last game. The two new stars of the game spend nearly the entirety of the story game whining nonstop, taking away from an otherwise good story. The battle system is intact but replacing characters with a Pokemon-esque monster catching/developing system simply makes most fights frustrating than fun. You can use the returning characters but in limit form as they'll join and leave your party as the story progresses and their levels/equipment are static. The game is also severely unbalanced so be ready to died, sit through un-skippable cutscenes and grind a lot. This game is basically a poorly made sequel to milk the original. If you really enjoyed its predecessor than Dawn of the New World is worth trying but honestly, your time would be better spent re-playing the original Tales of Symphonia. Expand
  5. Aug 26, 2011
    Pales in comparison to its predecessor. A mildly interesting story and the ability to capture monsters is what drives this game. Honestly the tales series could have gone without this title.
  6. Oct 27, 2012
    This is one of those games that you just wish was never made. Not because it was that bad, but simply because it was a disgrace to it's predecessor. The game it self isn't bad, the combat system is pretty good and the story is also fine, though it's not nearly as epic as the original games story was. But what really bothers me about this game is two things:

1. The game is too short.

2. It messes up with the personallity of the original character, ruining a fantastic game universe.

But in it itself the game is still pretty good and if it hadn't been a successor to the original game and just a game in itself, it would have been pretty nice. So therefore i give it a 6/10 even though it a disgrace to the original game.
  7. Nov 8, 2013
    Not great. I was really looking forward to play this sequel, but it was not at all something I could compare with it's predecessor in terms of fun. The game was sometimes messy and harder in combat, capturing monsters felt useless to me since why would i want to use a random x monster instead of a party member? Oh well, this is one fo those games I am anxiously waiting to end so i could play something else, it also made me feel like not wanting to play Tales Games anymore, but I will. Expand
  8. Feb 7, 2014
    Let me first just say I have never been more let down in my life than the day I got this game. -Graphics I'm going to start with the positive here, graphically I think this game was a step up from the first game and while not greatly impressive they still don't weigh the game down and fit fairly well as an enhanced version of the first games graphical style. -Gameplay- The select-a-destination world map system definitely breaks immersion compared to it's predecessor and is pretty terrible as a whole but that's something I could forgive. Where the game really does you wrong is the combat; Stale (techs with terrible combo-ability, repetitive even to the first game), attacks that break the flow of combat by triggering cut-scenes during combat which become painfully repetitive. Terrible implementation of a heavily Pokemon inspired system(see NiNoKuni for better implementation).

-Sound-

Don't get me started on how terrible the voice acting is, the first games voice acting fit and was definitely passable albeit cheesy at times but this game takes everything ToS did right and defecates all over it. To sum it up it was: extremely cheesy, lacking any believable emotion, poorly timed and worst of all it just didn't fit with a solid 90% of the characters (notably the first games protagonist, Lloyd). The sound design while not terrible was definitely not something worth mentioning.

-Story-

Somewhat similar to the first games story which is alright for a sequel. But they try to make this dark tone that ends up coming off as cheesy and pretty boring but again I could have forgiven that. The worst part about the story is that for a sequel it's incredibly inconsistent with the first game, they pull plot devices out of nowhere that have no relation to or directly contradict the happenings in the first ie. summon spirits and Centurions (don't you think we should have known about those in the first game??). Honestly I think the story is fine on paper but is so poorly implemented into the game that it just comes off as if it was written by a child.

-Characters-

Emil is one of the most annoying characters I've heard he's whiny at first and when he's not whiny they try to give him this cool, dark, hero attitude but they try way too hard and it ends up being just as annoying. Marta's character can be annoying at times but nowhere near as bad as Emil. The other new characters aren't notable except maybe Tenebrae who can be pretty witty, as for the old character's none of them seem to fit.

This game does a few things right but it's too-little-too late, if you're a fan of the original steer clear from this game, I've tried 3 times to play this game each time I've dedicated myself to this game, giving it another clean slate and a fair chance I can never get more than half way through the game. If I had to choose 1 word to express this game I would choose: disappointing or lackluster.
  9. May 17, 2013
    This game stands out as one of my personal favorites. For not only having a great compelling storyline, but for having great game play as well. Sadly there was no free roaming and the graphics were dated, but better than some games of that time "cough" Sonic 06 "cough". I have never played the original Tales of Symphonia and if what people say is true. Tales of Symphonia will blow my mind since this game was nearly perfect and is a must have. Expand

Wii gamers desperate for a role-playing game, particularly those that enjoyed the first Symphonia, might be able to overlook Dawn of the New World's tired gameplay and convoluted story.
  2. Though the battle system is improved, an erratic difficulty, budget production values, and a poorly-paced story keep Dawn of the New World from royalty status. In some ways, it’s a worthy successor to the original, but it’s ultimately just another passable action RPG.
  3. If you can look past the last-last-gen flaws that absolutely should be gone by now, there’s a totally playable bit of gaming here that’ll scratch your RPG itch for the time being.