The House of the Dead: Overkill Wii

• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Feb 10, 2009
8.7

1. Nov 15, 2010
    While the setting here isn't anymore thrilling than any other HOTD game, it surely sets itself up nicely for comedic purposes.....at least for the first 10-15 minutes. While the gameplay is core to a game for obvious reasons, this is one of those games that may just drive you away with it's presentation. The gameplay in the game is flawless, but the sheer amount of swears being thrownWhile the setting here isn't anymore thrilling than any other HOTD game, it surely sets itself up nicely for comedic purposes.....at least for the first 10-15 minutes. While the gameplay is core to a game for obvious reasons, this is one of those games that may just drive you away with it's presentation. The gameplay in the game is flawless, but the sheer amount of swears being thrown around by the protagonists and others, will put more in more of a desperation mood, than one of fun. There are occasional Hiccups in the frame rate, but I've only noticed in them under 2 select conditions. 1. When transitioning to certain areas of each level, the Frame hitches momentarily to load the next part. 2. The use of the Auto or regular Shotguns brings in a HUGE amount of data for the game to process especially when done with multiple zombies or quick shots of succession.

The developers were clever enough to sneak in the replay value in the form of competition. Should you choose to replay a given level, you will only receive cash if your performance this time, outdoes your performance last time, therefore not allowing the game to simply be spammed for guns at early levels. It also lengthens the game if your a completionist. Overall, if your into games for games, HOTD will only disappointed those looking for lengthy experiences as the game can be cleared in 4 hours. If you take into account everything going into the game, The Character dialogue will be your main gripe.
  2. Mar 4, 2011
    It's a crappy rail-shooter with terrible dialouge, and a ridiculas plot.
    Waste of £30 you could use to buy a good game.
    The translation here is just evil. I'm a fan of the HotD, but I liked it for how stupid and nonsensical it was, here it's just trying to knot everything up.
  3. Aug 13, 2011
    While I enjoyed playing through the game a couple of times, I really wanted more. I almost wish this game was a movie instead, because the parts I enjoyed most was the dialogue. I think one of the things that kept me so into the game my first play through was the desire to find out where this craziness heads.

Story is all over the place, but in a good way, all you really need to know is â

#14 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2009
#13 Most Shared Wii Game of 2009

1. Incredibly for such a simple and strictly limited game, it almost never tries your patience, and it's made with such infectious and irreverent glee and such obvious pride, you can't help but join in.
    The House of the Dead: Overkill blends some great gameplay with an impressive style, some great humor, and enough violence and vulgarity to confuse the hell out of soccer moms looking for a new Sims game or Petz title. I wouldn’t put the overall production value or difficulty up there with WoW’s offerings just yet, but for a relaunch of the series on Wii, Overkill is off to a very nice start.
  3. Headstrong has blown a breath of fresh air into a series that was toying with stagnation. Not only is Overkill fun to play, but it's also obvious that the developers had fun making it.