7.9

1. Jan 6, 2013
    I have played a long Zelda list games, but Im sure that this game is the worst Zelda in 3D. Only the Motion was excellent, but the other things, same and same the same thing. With a Lower difficulty, dungeons very easy and not workered.
    This is a poor Zelda production.
  2. Jul 14, 2013
    Truly a disappointment. The motion control sucks ass. It doesn't always work and it's tiresome to play with. Also, its pointless. It would be both easier and better to use normal controls. The only reason the game had any difficulty is because the controls are useless and broken.

Other then that, the game had meaningless conversations, a boring story, you couldn't explore, the dialogue was slow, and meaningless boring missions. Didn't even want to make it all the way through the game, it was to bad. There was no pleasure in playing it. My brother felt the very same way and neither of us played through it.
  3. Feb 11, 2012
    Look, I haven't even completed the game yet but I'm just going to give my review: Brilliant,amazing and excellent. Why Nintendo gave it to us so late in the Wii's lifetime nobody knows, but what a great way to say goodbye to the Wii with such a fantastic game. Sure, some aspects of the game are infuriating (Silent Realms anyone?) but they are all very minor. I will never forget theLook, I haven't even completed the game yet but I'm just going to give my review: Brilliant,amazing and excellent. Why Nintendo gave it to us so late in the Wii's lifetime nobody knows, but what a great way to say goodbye to the Wii with such a fantastic game. Sure, some aspects of the game are infuriating (Silent Realms anyone?) but they are all very minor. I will never forget the experience I have had with this game and as Fi would say, "I predict 100% chance of this being the finest Legend of Zelda game ever" Happy 25th birthday Legend of Zelda and goodbye to you Nintendo Wii. It's been a good one. Expand
  4. Dec 9, 2011
    Is is wrong to mark a game down for only being 98% pure awesome? Skyward Sword takes a little while to get going and once it does it's not exactly at a breakneck pace. With about 40-50 hours for a first play through (and hero mode if you feel like a second) it's not a game your going to knock over in a weekend, but it is definitely a fun experience throughout and a wonderful change of paceIs is wrong to mark a game down for only being 98% pure awesome? Skyward Sword takes a little while to get going and once it does it's not exactly at a breakneck pace. With about 40-50 hours for a first play through (and hero mode if you feel like a second) it's not a game your going to knock over in a weekend, but it is definitely a fun experience throughout and a wonderful change of pace from Shooter Season 2011 :/. The controls are generally quite good, with the 1:1 swordplay working well and being used smartly and creatively throughout the game. That said there is still some waggle action to had here, so your motions don't have to be prefect all the time, but most enemies will punish you if slice the wrong way too often and there are some basic physics in play that cause enemies / objects to get knocked / thrown in the direction of your attack. The art style / graphics are a bit of a matter of taste; personally I would have preferred something little darker; but they are generally very good (just look away whenever someone 'sings') with areas like those around timeshift stones (especially the portable variety) and the final boss fight being particular highlights. Speaking of timeshift stones there are some great new mechanics is Skyward Sword, some a little under developed, but most proving quite enjoyable. There is also the new upgrade system, which works well in the early game, but by about mid game you'll have all the resources you need to max out pretty much all your gear... this does give you plenty of time at 'full power' I suppose, but it would have been nice to see a few more items / upgrade options. Gameplay overall is what you would expect from a Zelda game, with enemies to fight, temples to explore, puzzles to solve (though none especially difficult) and treasures to find. Of particular note are the boss fights, all of which range from excellent to awesome, and most of which can be repeated (if you want) through a mini game towards the end. The world is well designed and some of the temples are truly excellent, however it can't help but feel small with Skyloft being mostly empty sky and only three distinct environments down below. The main areas down below are visited numerous times (though usually with changes, some quite significant) throughout the story, however there are still new areas that unlock right until the end of the game so the world never gets entirely stale. The story is your usual 'hero saves the princess from the evil monster' variety, but it is well told, and there are side missions you can do around Skyloft that help flesh-out a lot of the minor characters. While not being quite perfect, Skyward Sword is definitely a worthy entry in the Zelda series and worth playing if only to experience some of the greatest moments in gaming this year. A must play for anyone who still has a Wii. Expand
  5. Apr 5, 2012
    Nintendo brings a new flavor of dungeon'ing and exploring to Zelda, though it has repercussions that weaken the foundations on which the series was built on. The artwork and design are colourful and beautiful, and add a vibrant atmosphere to every area, but the problem that arises with the setting is that they are confined. Zelda fans should be well accustomed to being able to explore aNintendo brings a new flavor of dungeon'ing and exploring to Zelda, though it has repercussions that weaken the foundations on which the series was built on. The artwork and design are colourful and beautiful, and add a vibrant atmosphere to every area, but the problem that arises with the setting is that they are confined. Zelda fans should be well accustomed to being able to explore a vast amount of environments, that's part of the appeal of the series. Unfortunately SS restricts the players ability to travel from one area to another, and so a feeling of disconnection arises, like how you do when you have to go back to a menu in a game to pick a new destination. You no longer feel as immersed in the gameplay. Monsters are few and far between, though they are spread over larger areas. The motions of defeating them become repetitive, just as pressing a certain button repeatedly would. The motion controls do not feel natural because of inaccuracy, lag and the need to calibrate often. This also causes the motion controls to not feel anymore realistic than pressing buttons would, you've only changed how you send commands.

The characters and plot felt bland and empty. Your companion for the game in particular, who will also give away many puzzles in the game before you can even take a crack at them. The final battle and ending left me dissatisfied, but given the story that led up to it, that wasn't surprising.

Overall, the game should be played through to the end before you review it. Too many seemed to jump on the bandwagon of excitement, played it for a few hours, gave it critical acclaim, and then had second thoughts later. It's a game worth playing, if not just to make your own opinion about the motion controls. Those expecting a dynamic journey with a great story and character development that doesn't make you roll your eyes, may be disappointed.
  6. Dec 11, 2011
    Controls:
    Controls:
    Great Motion controls. Swinging the sword and using items like the whip or flying beetle is very fun. The Wiimote seems to use the sensor bar to auto calibrate itself and thus it will get confused if there's another source of infrared light in the room such as sun from the window. For best results, play during night time. The sword stabbing can be a bit unresponsive at times but everything else is works pretty good.

Game Design:
    Wonderful, inventive and brilliant dungeon design, especially the very last dungeon. The entire world under the clouds is pretty much one big dungeon. The outdoor environments are complex enough to be interesting but not too complex to be confusing. Every confrontation is engaging thanks to the added motion controls, especially the boss fights. The last boss fights are extremely long and satisfying. The game constantly provides new activities to challenge you with so it never gets too repetitive. There are times however, where you know exactly where to go (and have the ability to do so) but the game forces to follow an exact order of events before your objective can be complete. For instance, at one point you have retrieve a specific lost item in land. Even though you can stand right next to the lost item you cannot interact with it until you first speak with owner. There's also a specific underwater fetch quest near the end of the game that is very uninteresting and seems forced. The overworld above the clouds is fun to navigate but very sparse in content. These are, however, just 3 minor complaints going against the game's overall excellent, engaging and plentiful puzzles and combat scenarios.

Story:
    A decent story that is more complex and richer than previous Zelda titles. Nice to see the supporting cast members have a more significant role.

Graphics:
    Artistically, this is very pretty. This time the game seems to have Asia influence in its art design which is a nice change to it usually Medial European look.

Overall:
    Excellent motion controls. Excellent level designs. Great variety of gamplay. A few hiccups with the Wiimotion plus technology and minor game design flaws keep it from a getting higher. But as it stands this is hands down, the best game in the Legend of Zelda series.
  7. Dec 7, 2011
    This game is beautiful, gorgeous and has the smooth control minigames we've waited for for years. Legend of Zelda has shown us once again that they rule nintendo by using that beautiful formula of puzzles, tough bosses and showing us collectibles we cant have while keeping a fresh and innovative touch staying ahead and giving us games to remember.
  8. Dec 8, 2011
    I am a die hard zelda fan. It's literally the only game I continue to look forward to and play. I grew up with it being the exact same age of the game and was so exited to get it for my birthday. I've read all the reviews watched all the videos and was dying to play it. As soon as I put the cd in I was very disappointed by the graphics. They look old and grainy. That might be because ofI am a die hard zelda fan. It's literally the only game I continue to look forward to and play. I grew up with it being the exact same age of the game and was so exited to get it for my birthday. I've read all the reviews watched all the videos and was dying to play it. As soon as I put the cd in I was very disappointed by the graphics. They look old and grainy. That might be because of the wii console i'm not sure but that doesn't excuse the lack of background story in the game. After Ocarina of Time, games began to have less and less story substance behind them. What I loved about the first N64 game is that every "race" had a whole society, each had it's own culture, traditions, legends and side quests. Twilight princess was a great improvement to Wind Waker. But the point is sometimes you get tired of playing a constant battle in the game and want to chill out with side quests, it's disappointing how they are locked and only a few are available at the same time. This new game seems a little .. empty on that side. For new players it's still a very good entertaining game. But for Zelda Lifers it's going to come as a bit of disappointment were you feel more like your controlling a game character than if your actually part of the story line game. Expand
  9. Dec 9, 2011
    I wanted to give this game a perfect 10, I really did. Skyward Sword is a great game. But I couldn't help but feel something was missing afterwards. I went in with extremely high expectations, and it did meet a lot of them. The controls are fantastic. They make you feel like you're weilding the sword itself. The graphics aren't HD, but that's not what it was trying to do. The art style isI wanted to give this game a perfect 10, I really did. Skyward Sword is a great game. But I couldn't help but feel something was missing afterwards. I went in with extremely high expectations, and it did meet a lot of them. The controls are fantastic. They make you feel like you're weilding the sword itself. The graphics aren't HD, but that's not what it was trying to do. The art style is a perfect balance between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and it captures the spirit of Zelda perfectly. The gameplay was typical Zelda (which itself is a good thing) with a few changes, like the hub world, and one that I hope sticks with the series, upgradeable items and breakable shields. It made your rupees and collectibles worth something, and throughout the whole game I was compelled to find different items to make my items better.
    I think my gripe, however, is with the actual pacing of the story, mainly the 2nd half, as it actually starts to drag down the gameplay with fetch quests. There is a lot of "go here, talk to this person, go there, collect this, go back here, wait I need one more thing, go there again." Maybe that's a little bit of an exadgerration, but by the tail end of the game I really wanted to move along with the story, because it gets interesting. I got the feeling the developers wanted to add a little more play time in, but I personally would have preferred less play time in the story mode than to start getting bored by it. And by the time you get all these quests out of the way and make your way to the final leg of the game, it's over in a flash. Be warned; the epic finale of Ocarina of Time, this is not. I definately missed that feeling during the games last moments. The ending felt rushed, and left me wanting more, but not in a good way. Overall, Skyward Sword is definately earning the praise it's been getting, but there's still something missing. Next time, hopefully Nintendo will keep introducing us to awesome new gameplay elements right up until the very end of the game instead of sacrificing quality for quantity.
  10. Dec 9, 2011
    This is a great game. I have been a Zelda fan since the original came out for the NES. I am about 30 hours into the game and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute (yes even the introduction). The motion controls are glitchy (as others have mentioned); however, they are pretty good for being new technology. When they do get off-centered, they are easily re-calibrated. The thing that IThis is a great game. I have been a Zelda fan since the original came out for the NES. I am about 30 hours into the game and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute (yes even the introduction). The motion controls are glitchy (as others have mentioned); however, they are pretty good for being new technology. When they do get off-centered, they are easily re-calibrated. The thing that I enjoy most about the game is how much more difficult enemy encounters are. In any other Zelda game I usually can hack and slash my way through any non boss enemy. In this game, nearly every enemy requires strategy and thought. I have been hearing a lot of criticism about the graphics. I feel like Zelda fans generally appreciate the typical cartoony graphics and Nintendo is appealing to its typical client base. Also, when have realistic graphics every made a game good. There are tons of games out there that have amazing graphics but lack substance and aren't fun. If you are a real Zelda fan, this game probably will not be disappointing. Expand
  11. Dec 9, 2011
    Zelda introduces next gen gameplay paradigms, resulting in a fun, unique game with a great story. Even the much-maligned motion controls work well. Yet the game is still uniquely Zelda. Kudos to Nintendo.
  12. Dec 29, 2011
    WHY SO MUCH HATE? This is my first review and I will put this game a 10! you know why? is not because I'm a Zelda fan or a Wii fan... IT'S BECAUSE THIS GAME DESERVES IT! The motion control is NOT PERFECT, but it works very good. The graphics are perfect for being a Wii game. If this game was for PS or Xbox360 the graphics would be really bad but you can't expect perfect graphics for a WiiWHY SO MUCH HATE? This is my first review and I will put this game a 10! you know why? is not because I'm a Zelda fan or a Wii fan... IT'S BECAUSE THIS GAME DESERVES IT! The motion control is NOT PERFECT, but it works very good. The graphics are perfect for being a Wii game. If this game was for PS or Xbox360 the graphics would be really bad but you can't expect perfect graphics for a Wii game like Zelda, maybe for Mario. The plot is captivating and shows us the beginning of the franchise... Now, the formula WORKS AND WILL DO FOREVER! I will never show it's age because it's like this and there are other game like Skyrim and Call of Duty that have almost the same gameplay but with different story for all their games... but they're still good games and.. well, this game is awesome and the music is great so, I really recommend this. jl0329 commented a review for Dinasty Warriors? THIS IS SKYWARD SWORD FOCKING IDIOT!!! Expand
  13. Dec 29, 2011
    A worthy successor to the Zelda mythos. Addition of motion controls is overrated, but does add another layer to the game play. I have to keep remembering what motions to make in order to do the finishing moves, but still worth the game time. Flying becomes a bit tedious in the same way that riding trains became tedious in Spirit Tracks, especially when my arms started to hurt. But for aA worthy successor to the Zelda mythos. Addition of motion controls is overrated, but does add another layer to the game play. I have to keep remembering what motions to make in order to do the finishing moves, but still worth the game time. Flying becomes a bit tedious in the same way that riding trains became tedious in Spirit Tracks, especially when my arms started to hurt. But for a first party effort from Nintendo, worth picking up and adding to the collection. Not willing to say if it's better than Twilight Princess just yet, but I'm glad I picked it up. Expand
  14. Jan 17, 2012
    This is a perfect wii game! and such a thrilling adventure! The graphics are just absolutely gorgeous and amazing. The soundtrack is mindblowing and the gameplay is just perfect with the wii motion plus!
  15. Feb 28, 2012
    This is by far one of the best Zelda games in history. The gameplay, graphics, and music are just absolutely AMAZING! Nintendo completely took advantage of the potential the Wii Motion Plus has.
  16. Mar 13, 2012
    This game is epic! Great story, amazing gameplay and the graphics are the best you can find on the wii. The controller sometimes might be a pain in the ass but ignoring that, this is a masterpiece!!! Totally worth your money!
  17. Mar 25, 2012
    I played the game almost all the way through, but unfortunately I got so frustrated that I gave up. Game itself is OK, although nowhere near as captivating as it's predecessors. There was "too much of the same" all the way through and it failed to match the magic previous games had. Unfortunately it did not have as many towns to visit as previous ones, sky island was too small for myI played the game almost all the way through, but unfortunately I got so frustrated that I gave up. Game itself is OK, although nowhere near as captivating as it's predecessors. There was "too much of the same" all the way through and it failed to match the magic previous games had. Unfortunately it did not have as many towns to visit as previous ones, sky island was too small for my liking and the story got me tired. That enemy guy looked more like something from DBZ than a villain that belongs to the Zelda Universe. I got to the Sand Ship boss and my wiimote and nunchuk did everything they could to sour my experience.
    All the way through the game I found controls tedious at the best and they ruined many a fun moment for me.
    I think they tried too hard to push for the wiimote functionality that they screwed the controls up that the game was no fun to play at all. Bloody thing got de-calibrated so often that I spent ages just adjusting it.
    It was not that much of a problem in low intense areas but with that sand ship boss the experience became unbearable. You are switching from the sword to the bow and arrows, have barely a few seconds to shoot him, and your screen starts spinning like a **** you are desperately trying to calibrate it, and the chance of shooting him is gone and what is worse, because you are in the first person mode, you get disoriented and get pummeled in the end. It is really annoying when you know exactly what to do, but the game flaws your attempts. Eventually I got it done, but then asked myself if it was worth it, decided it felt more like a waste of time than fun it should be and gave up on the game all together.
    And I blame Nintendo for it. So here you go have your 5 ( I wanted to do zero, but I could not justify it to myself) And if it was not a Zelda game I would probably give it 7 but after decades of setting the bar so high they have to be marked on their own merits.
  18. May 16, 2012
    Great story combined with great look and feel. Using the Wiimote as a sword felt natural (mainly) and the skyward sword itself was pretty cool. Some tasks were mundane but the rest of the game is stellar. Could do with voice acting.
  19. Sep 2, 2012
    I bought a Wii and this game over the summer because of everything I've heard, and I am a HUGE Zelda fan. Zelda link to the past and Zelda 64 were two masterpieces, and every Zelda after should walk in their shoes. I will admit that this game was innovative in certain ways and fun, but for some reason it just felt a little too different. Some of the items were pretty silly, like the blowI bought a Wii and this game over the summer because of everything I've heard, and I am a HUGE Zelda fan. Zelda link to the past and Zelda 64 were two masterpieces, and every Zelda after should walk in their shoes. I will admit that this game was innovative in certain ways and fun, but for some reason it just felt a little too different. Some of the items were pretty silly, like the blow dryer and I thought the flying beetle was a neat idea just not for Zelda. Also, what happened to the music in this game? The music at certain places, especially in the desert was kind of ugly. I would love to see a Zelda game use SOME previous music in a remastered form such as the dungeon music from aLtTP, memories would flourish. I also have to somewhat agree that the controls are a little sloppy and annoying at times, and for some reason I don't really like flailing my arms around to play a Zelda game. Graphically I was a little disappointed too because I prefer a more mature type of artwork compared to a sort-of childish look. I have to say too that even though some of the areas were pretty large, it felt a little too linear and I wish they didn't include all these check and save points that make it feel less like Zelda. The flying around on the bird was a good idea but sometimes it gets a little annoying as well. If you are a die hard Zelda fan though and you own a Wii already, this game is worth at least checking out because passed all the flaws there is still a good game. I totally agree with IGN giving Zelda 64 a 10 out of 10 but not for this game, a 10 is overrated IMO. Expand
  20. Nov 5, 2012
    Innovation is once again brought to the series of legend, Skyward Sword shows what Zelda is really about with an exciting new control scheme, beautiful art style, and engrossing gameplay. A faulty moments here and there is greatly overshadowed by the game's strengths. This is a must have for any Wii owner. 9/10
  21. Jun 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, I wonder how much money Nintendo dished out to sites like IGN and the like to rate this zelda higher than a six? This game is honestly atrocious, and the worst zelda I have ever played. And trust me I've played through about "85% through, master." Yeah, Fi... 85%... whatever you say.... of all the zelda games. Majora's Mask, which any zelda fan can argue, has the craziest, insane, most twisted story in the franchise. Now compare that to Skyward Sword. You have a bland "hero, knight, chivalry, etc." character that hacks n slashes first and asks questions later. You know that mummified dad you had to save in MM with the song of healing? Ya, non-o-dat here.
    Speaking of music, what the flip Nintendo?! After Mario galaxy's soundtrack (which i still listen too), you give us uninspired, orchestra (orchestra, has to be good?! Right?!) music which is about as moving as a clogged toilet. The harp? Dear God, just take it away, compared to the beautiful ocarina compositions from OoT and MM, the harp playing sections include a bunch of random phrases composed by pulling notes out of a hat. On top of that, there are no specific songs you learn with the harp, just generic strumming... I still have the Song of Time button input memorized Nintendo, Holy CRAP, gamers have memory spans longer than 1 min!!!
    Now Shigeru Miyamoto himself said people stopped playing the game half way through. Well, its not rocket science, how about an actual, interesting story? From what i could gather, by the 30th hour of gameplay, I was merely a lab rat chasing after cheese on an exercise wheel. Zelda is 1 step away! Maybe next time you'll catch her! Oh, can't catch her? How about you do numerous, cloned fetch quests to upgrade your sword and shield in the meantime so you can become god? It was all so predictably written, that it could have been fan fiction. And why is every character so cookie cutter? You have jocks (all of which have a soft side deep down, awww), you have haughty chicks, you have slightly normal people (but always the same), and you have over the top weird. None of them feel tangible or interesting after you learn their 2 paragraphs of background.
    The gameplay as everyone says, fails. Sure, some boss battles inspire awe, but only because the baddies are big and interesting. When you're facing moblin after moblin that requires no more skill to defeat than whipping your left hand then whipping your right hand, the gameplay gets stale and that's not mentioning frustrating calibration and aiming issues which happen ALL THE TIME. The overworld, Skyhaven, Skyhop, i really dont care anymore, has almost nothing to do in it once you have all the money you need, and your wrist will cramp up after flying in Skyhop for more than 5 min. I would rather stroll through my generic neighberhood Walmart.
    If you know what Rune Factory Tides of Destiny is... good! You'll get my next reference. Ahem... I finished that game. I didn't finish Skyward Sword. That should make the point loud and clear that SS is the worst excuse for a zelda game ever. Nintendo abused my trust, i used to buy every zelda gaming assured it would appease my adventurous appetite. No more! This was supposed to be the first in the series timeline, well... it comes dead last in my book. Honestly, the younger generation, which apparently has half the brain (according to Nintendo) that I had at the same age, will be the only ones who truly like this game. Many longtime zelda fans and Nintendo fanboys will defend it for the sake of pride, but at the same time, inadvertently cast a shaky look over their shoulders at the shell of what used to be the quality zelda franchise.
  22. Jul 22, 2014
    Fun Portrayal of the main characters and passable story, but for something in the action adventure category there us a surprising lack of adventure in the 3 areas you go to which get recycled and rehashed throughout the game. For Pete's sake they flood the forest for the water segment? Did anyone honestly enjoy those design choices? How about the unresponsive controls that most of theFun Portrayal of the main characters and passable story, but for something in the action adventure category there us a surprising lack of adventure in the 3 areas you go to which get recycled and rehashed throughout the game. For Pete's sake they flood the forest for the water segment? Did anyone honestly enjoy those design choices? How about the unresponsive controls that most of the people had, and slight lag or these control issues may not seem like an issue but if every basic enemy has a direction based blocking mechanic it makes the fight against them an exercise in futility. So far from the zelda formula it isn't even funny. Beating bosses with the item found in dungeon, only 3 bosses follow that of the listed 16 in the game (on zelda dungeon). Of those 16, 7 of them are slow and clunky sword fights, 3 are fighting imprisoned, 3 are fighting Ghirahim, and 1 of them is Tentalus (boss at the end of the dungeon has nothing to do with the mechanics at all in said dungeon). The combat itself is far from fun, it has you jumping through a hoop for nearly each enemy because most of the time you are left waiting for the hoop to be at the right height to jump through it. Random flailing of the wiimote as you walk into enemies was more effective at taking out the enemies than engaging in combat was. To me that doesn't sound like an effective system, when having no strategy is preferred over actually using the new mechanics, but the things such as motion delay made that impossible so the best method was to literally make your sword unpredictable by flailing to confuse the computer without lock-on to greatly reduce the chance of them blocking it. Link may be a sword fighter but that isn't what defines his character, his use of a variety of weapons is what makes link such a liking character, becoming a swiss army knife of a character, but this game takes that away. Few item have multiple uses let alone any use given a combat situation and given the new rpg elements introduced are interesting such as crafting or scavenging, but they fall short when the items crafted have such a limited window of use. Don't forget that there is a always dowsing mechanic that tells you where to go, testing your ability to point at the screen instead of actually making you think. Now it was fun seeing more of a relationship between link and zelda, but unfortunately the game did the exact same as tetra from wind waker, upon finding out that they of importance to the plot they immediately lose all sense of character. I did not enjoy my play through of this game nor do I recommend it to people. Expand
  23. Feb 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would be willing to give this game a much better review if it wasn't a Zelda game. That said, it is a Zelda game and an allegedly landmark (25th Anniversary) one at that.

Let's start with the controls. They aren't terrible but they aren't great. Some of the new stuff (targeted diving and harp playing for example) feels clunky and rushed while the old stuff (targeting slingshot/bow and attacking with the sword for example) didn't get a good translation for the Wii Remote.

Also, I get that it's the first Legend of Zelda made for the Wii and everyone loves swinging the Wii remote but that does NOT mean every enemy in the game needs some form of directional blocking ability. The Zelda series is great, in part, because of its puzzles-not because it takes several minutes to kill basic enemies when they block your attack over and over again because the controls aren't responding (you slash horizontal and Link slashes diagonal and gets countered-hard)

Where this game truly fails, and why it should be a standalone game, is in the story. Every Legend of Zelda game since Ocarina of Time (at least) has had certain elements and this game had a perfect opportunity to explain where some of that came from but it didn't.

One glaring example of this is the ring of clouds around Death Mountain in OOT, I thought it would be a nice touch for this game would explain why it was there but this game didn't even mention Death Mountain. Another example is instead of using the existing races of Hyrule (Gorons and Zoras) Skyward Sword introduces three new races (Mogmas, Robots and Parellas) who have never been seen before or since-there is some speculation that Parellas may be an evolutionary ancestor of the Zora though this is not stated in game. We do, however, learn why Link always wears green.

Moving on...

I'm honestly unsure what category to put this next failure in but one extreme weak point of the game in my opinion is the inability to walk/run from one province on the surface to another. The requirement to return to the sky is just odd considering the map shows that the provinces border each other. In a move that falls into the same category of not sure where to put it, this game lacks a certain epic quality which is evident when they simply flood the requisite forest to make the equally requisite lake. I have two problems with this. One-there is a lake in the game and it's sizable-USE IT! Two-Twilight Princess was made for a lesser system and had a more epic quality to it than this game does-that isn't right.

Back to a definite story issue: the guardian dragons. Wait what? In Twilight Princess, there were light spirits sent by the goddesses (presumably before they departed Hyrule so before Skyward Sword). Where are they and why do we need dragons now-why can't we just run missions for the light spirits (who have the same names as the dragons anyway). Of the dragons, one is obnoxious, one is forgettable and one hosts a minigame which is a pain but has a cool prize.

After the last battle, you get what feels like a rushed cut scene because someone remembered that it was supposed to be a Zelda game and figured they should explain SOMETHING important. So, with the big bad defeated, we finally learn why Link, Zelda and Ganon are seemingly inseparable forever.

This is actually a very good game. The biggest problem is that it doesn't connect with the rest of the series in any appreciable way. The controls are clunky but serviceable. The story is good but doesn't fit the series in which it exists. This was supposed to be the beginning of the Legend of Zelda but it introduced too much new stuff that doesn't exist anywhere else in the series. Worse, it ignored obvious opportunities to connect to the series-like planting a magic tree, that EASILY could have been the Deku Tree from Ocarina of Time but no-just a tree.
  24. Apr 23, 2012
    I am a long time fan of the Zelda series (since NES) and this is by far the worst one ive ever played. The motion controls are horrid. Backtracking is rampant, flying is pointless and boring filler along with the stupid fetch quests that do nothing but add to the time it will take you to finish the game and no it isnt the least bit fun. Everytime i started to have any ounce of fun it wasI am a long time fan of the Zelda series (since NES) and this is by far the worst one ive ever played. The motion controls are horrid. Backtracking is rampant, flying is pointless and boring filler along with the stupid fetch quests that do nothing but add to the time it will take you to finish the game and no it isnt the least bit fun. Everytime i started to have any ounce of fun it was sucked away by stupid game design. How any fan of this series can say this is the best one since ocarina is absolutely beyond me. This game is so bad that it is literally the only zelda game i didnt finish because i got that sick of it. (Completing the sword was the last thing i did. I dont recommended this game at all unless you want to experience incredibly bad motion controls. This entry made me want to play twilight princess again and i didnt even like that one alot but it was defintely better than this trash dont waste your time. Expand
  25. Apr 14, 2013
    I want to love this game. I really do. I've been a hardcore fan of the series since LttP. I bought the stupid wii motion plus and started up this game with my heart pumping and my hands quivering. I proceeded to be slapped in the friggen face with what they've done to my Zelda. After the first 3 temples, I quit entirely. It took my friend Rachael another 4 months to convince me to pick itI want to love this game. I really do. I've been a hardcore fan of the series since LttP. I bought the stupid wii motion plus and started up this game with my heart pumping and my hands quivering. I proceeded to be slapped in the friggen face with what they've done to my Zelda. After the first 3 temples, I quit entirely. It took my friend Rachael another 4 months to convince me to pick it up again, with the promise that it gets better. And she didn't lie. Some of the bosses (especially Four Arms McSamurai Robot) and level designs are GREAT! But the overall game just didn't hold up. I didn't feel like link, saving the world from evil. I felt like I was busting my way through dungeons, having my hand held by the most annoying character to grace the series. Navi pretty annoying. Fi holy godamn your are so annoying it is physically hurting me. She literally will interrupt the game to inform you that "bows shoot arrows", "keys go into locks", and my favorite, "I was beeping to let you know about the other beeping to let you know that your health is low". The controls were not 1:1, making the prequel to the final boss the most frustrating battle I have ever experienced. But then after that I killed the final boss with relative ease! And let's not forget that the cool Zelda races have been replaced with weird little penguin f**kers, and MOLE PEOPLE. SERIOUSLY. Hey game designers, Imma just put it out there, if you're looking for innovational character design, MOLE PEOPLE WILL NEVER BE IT!! Oh, and the bird sucks. Theres minimal air combat and the over world is too big to be flying uselessly along. I want Epona back. I get it. I really do, it's supposed to be new and creative. I just don't caaaare. It sucked, gimme back Epona. And give me back the ADVENTURE! This game was so "on the rails" it made me feel like I was playing a LoZ mod of an FPS. The side quests were all silly grind fests with no real merit. If this wasn't a Zelda game, I would give it at least a 7. But I had certain expectations from this, and they just weren't met. As a kid who grew up defeating Ganondorf, memorizing the songs, collecting all the mask to become the fierce diety, and riding over the fields of Hyrule on my beloved horse, this was not what I was hoping for. But it looks like they'll get the next game right so far! Expand
  26. Jul 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I was six years old I got an N64 and OoT for my birthday... to put it lightly I have a major fan of the The Legend of Zelda games since. To be blunt I was not impressed by SS. Peope have said that we who are negative of SS are blinded by our nostagla from past Zelda games, to that I agree to an extent. The Zelda franchise has been a constantly evolving series, that has change many core gameplay mechanics, but stayed true to what Zelda has always been about; adventuring the lands, finding badass items, wicked boss fights, and a deep and convaluted story that grips you and pulls you in from start to finish. Pre-N64 games aside, OoT (ALttP was fantasic for its time as well) achieved all of these elements with a high degree for its time becoming one of the first great 3D adventures. It is now the model to which all of us hardcore "Zelda fanatics" hold all future installments to. SS is a paradox, despite being hailed as the greatest Zelda game ever, it is a major step back from the progress made since OoT. Each game brings its own special flavour to the medley, and despite never being "perfect" they represent progress for the franchise. SS throws away many successful and exhilarating aspects of past games, for new greener ideas. I cannot fault Nintendo for this, for without innovation the franchise wouldn't be in the same place as it is today. Nevertheless, I dearly miss the open worlds of WW and to an extent TP, interesting races like the Gorons or Zoras, the epic boss battles that *ALWAYS* required the unique item from the given temple, and finally... you can quote me on this, "a complelling story". As a self rebuttle I did greatly enjoy the new crafting system, the development of many secondary characters on Skyloft, and the new puzzles using the Wii MotionPlus. These are keepers in the Zelda franchise as far as I'm concerned, although the sword fighting with MotionPlus was at times...infuriating. Despite this the things that made LoZ so special to me, are spat on and frankly thrown out the window as far as I'm concerned for the following 3 reasons:
    1. Adventuring: Essentially none existent - 3 seperated linear areas, and a large sky that apart from skyloft has very little to offer. In WW there was a wide open world to explore that was deeply interconnected and possible to travel at anytime, even if some islands secrets were item specific. Even the original OoT was open, and Hyrule could be travelled freely other than a free choice exceptions. The main complaint is that the progress that was made in WW and not so much in TP towards a more open and interactive world was not existent in SS.
    2. Boss Fights: Just Awful - Apart from Koloktos, the huge beast with 6 arms (who was a blast to fight I should say), and Demise, the rest get to big thumbs dowm. Ghirahim is a huge pain to fight not to mention that you battle him 3 times instead of a boss that is unique to the temple, and the rest are fairly lame. One of my favourite part of the past games was the massive boss fights and how satisfying they always were. Its not a matter of difficulty, but how satisfying it is to slay a massive beast...SS misses the mark in this category.
    3. Story: Weak - this is a very subjective category I admit, but its been said before and I'll say it again...the story of SS is awful with numerous plot holes. For one who the bloody f*** is Ghirahim! yes he is the demon lord pledged to Demise, but come on! no detailed reasons for his motives, what makes him demon lord? where does he come from? In TP there was a great backstory on Zant, his background is blurry, but it is obvious he is usurping Minda as Ganondorfs pawn and is conquering the world of light. Its easy to work out that Demise has the evil, destroy everything that is fresh and sweet goal, but some more to go on would be nice espeically for Ghirahim. In every Zelda game I've been absolutely captured by the story, with SS I could barely finish the game! I don't even wanna start with Fi...in summary I would have sold my first born child to get one chance to strangle her! To sum up, weak secondary characters, terrible races (the kwikis...come on...), far to linear and repetative plot, and most importantly a lack of connection with the world depicted in SS. I want to jump in to the world's created in Zelda! if you don't feel involved in the plight of the world why bother saving it?

Skyward Sword is a step forward for the Zelda francise in terms of controls, and systems, but 2 steps back for the key elements that any Zelda fan should sit anxiously at the edge of their seat for. SS represents a new era for the Zelda franchise, I may not like it but the 93/100 speaks for itself. Old schoolers like myself may be sidelined as Zelda moves into new, uncharted waters disregarding past innovations. I can only hope that LoZ can move forward while respecting the past by bringing about positive change, while staying true to its roots!
  27. May 15, 2012
    Let me start off by saying I am a huge Legend of Zelda fan. After reading reviews and talking with friends it seemed certain that I would love this game. After my play through however I am left with a bitter taste in my mouth and can tell you without a doubt that I will never play this game again. I think that if you are not a Zelda fan stay away from this game. This game has taken muchLet me start off by saying I am a huge Legend of Zelda fan. After reading reviews and talking with friends it seemed certain that I would love this game. After my play through however I am left with a bitter taste in my mouth and can tell you without a doubt that I will never play this game again. I think that if you are not a Zelda fan stay away from this game. This game has taken much inspiration from modern MMOs and as such suffers from the same mediocrity that plagues that genre. The controls are terrible, the dialogue is bland and in every way that the game takes a step forward from itsâ Expand
  28. Mar 18, 2012
    This game is missing so much of the magic I've com to expect from Zelda games...theres none of the exploration, freedom, characters or emotion I found with Ocarina of Time and the others. I'm a fair way through and I have yet to get that "Zelda feeling". Obviously I wasn't expecting Skyrim with triforces but everything just feels dumbed down and simplified...all apart from the controls,This game is missing so much of the magic I've com to expect from Zelda games...theres none of the exploration, freedom, characters or emotion I found with Ocarina of Time and the others. I'm a fair way through and I have yet to get that "Zelda feeling". Obviously I wasn't expecting Skyrim with triforces but everything just feels dumbed down and simplified...all apart from the controls, which are just a mess. Really wish I'd just kept Zelda as a memory...Ocarina of Time is still the best game ever, not even this can spoil that. Expand
  29. Mar 15, 2012
    VERY overrated game. I don't know why people are even thinking of comparing this ill handled turd to Ocarina of Time. The controls SUCK. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.
  30. Mar 12, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game, but I'm sorry. I just can't. The controls are pretty close to the 1:1 they promised, but they didn't use it to make interesting swordplay, they just used it to make every fight a repetitive puzzle. The story is severely limited, and exploration is almost nonexistent. This is my least favorite Zelda game ever (CDI games aside) and it mostly comes down toI really wanted to like this game, but I'm sorry. I just can't. The controls are pretty close to the 1:1 they promised, but they didn't use it to make interesting swordplay, they just used it to make every fight a repetitive puzzle. The story is severely limited, and exploration is almost nonexistent. This is my least favorite Zelda game ever (CDI games aside) and it mostly comes down to the feeling that this is "Zelda lite" for a crowd that's forgotten what Zelda was always about. Now get off my lawn kids, grandpa's going to go play the first Zelda again. Expand
  31. Feb 9, 2012
    I am astounded at the positive reviews for this game. I am a lifelong gamer and a longtime Zelda fan, so I've been trying very hard to like it, but I finally reached my limit and had to quit playing altogether. It would be a fine Zelda game if not for the Motion Plus controls. I love the concept of 1-to1 sword fighting, but it just is not responsive enough to be a satisfying experience forI am astounded at the positive reviews for this game. I am a lifelong gamer and a longtime Zelda fan, so I've been trying very hard to like it, but I finally reached my limit and had to quit playing altogether. It would be a fine Zelda game if not for the Motion Plus controls. I love the concept of 1-to1 sword fighting, but it just is not responsive enough to be a satisfying experience for me. A good one in three strikes is misinterpreted, if not more. Sometimes, much, much more! I can't fathom how so many people can actually enjoy that experience. I have tried multiple controllers, I have replaced the batteries over and over, thinking it was a problem with my controllers, but the result is always the same. Overall it's okay...sometimes it's terrible, and sometimes it is rather engaging. It doesn't break the game, but it's far from the groundbreaking experience that many people are claiming. If that was all they used the motion plus for, it would probably be a great addition.

As far as the Zelda-ness of it, it's an excellent Zelda game. The classic game elements are all as good as ever, the dungeons are huge and smart, the puzzles are fun and well designed. For all my frustration, I've pushed through so I could get to more of that stuff, the stuff I love about Zelda. Finally, on a very late level in the game (after you get the bow), I died over and over on the boss because my shield kept popping up when I was supposed to prepare a skyward strike. The battle required the same mechanic earlier on, and I didn't have this problem, so it might be a bug...still, it was the last straw. By the time I managed to unequip my shield, I had used all my potions and I died soon after. Aside from that, I found the use of the motion controls -- outside of sword fights -- to be just as intrusive and silly as in Twilight Princess, if not even more so. Virtually every menial task you have to perform requires some use of the motion plus. Swinging on vines, balancing on ropes, aiming and throwing projectiles, etc. It was tedious the first time I had to do it...and made worse by the fact that it actually expects some level of precision. I preferred TP's controls because they were just translated button presses, and you didn't have to worry about holding the stupid controller at the right stupid angle to do something stupid. That's not fun or immersive or meaningful, it's stupid! The one thing other than sword fighting that was actually fun was shooting the bow. The pull-back mechanic was really satisfying for some reason. Anyway, it's hard not to recommend this for Zelda fans, because it's more Zelda. It's definitely a Zelda game. If you're a Zelda fan and you're dying for a fix, it's probably worth picking up right now. If you're curious but you aren't convinced, I'd definitely recommend waiting for it to go on sale. It's worth trying, if you like Zelda. The controls are a real mixed bag, and for me they make it more frustrating than fun. At the same time, everything else is there to make it a great game. The world is gigantic and filled with stuff to do. The dungeons are enormous, the new gadgets are fun, the puzzles are as good as ever. Argh, I'm so frustrated because I want to play it so badly but it's just no fun!
  32. May 21, 2012
    This is the worst entry in the entire Zelda series that I have played. While they did try to do a few things to mix things up a bit, ultimately the game is utterly formulaic in the worst ways possible, and many of its innovations fail to actually be FUN.

The incorporation of motion controls into the game seems like a good idea, but unfortunately in practice they are extremely clunky. Flying around and swimming both use the motion controls, and while flying works decently (not great, but not horribly), swimming does not - the only good news is that you will hardly be swimming in the game, but the few times you do have to swim it becomes a bit frustrating. You can manage, but it just doesn't feel right. Fortunately, running around in 2D works just fine, but sadly your sword, too, uses the motion controls. This seems like a neat idea at first, but unfortunately it fails to deliver. While it works fine for the slashing and spin cuts, unfortunately stabbing doesn't work very well at all, doubly so when your shield is out, oftentimes coming out as the wrong kind of attack. This is deeply frustrating when you need for it to work. The only motion control that works well is your shield, which works completely flawlessly.

Your bow, oddly, does not take a cue from Wii Sports Resort (which actually did bow controls RIGHT as a minigame, and a fun one at that!) and sadly uses just the standard old point with the wiimote - this works alright, but is disappointing. Ultimately, the fact that most of your items use some weird mixture of motion controls and the IR sensor results in a very inconsistent feeling about the game, and it doesn't make you feel good - the motion controls constantly break immersion, which sucks. As the capstone of the Wii, this game tried to show that motion controls were a good idea, but failed utterly.

The rest of the game is also flawed. The enemies are very repetitive - there are very few types of enemies, and only a few of them are particularly interesting to fight. By about a third of the way through the game, you will have seen every enemy the game has to offer, and sadly (and more than a little bizzarely) the game repeats bosses incessantly - one of the bosses (Ghirahim) is fought three times, and really four times because the final boss (Demise) is very similar to Ghirahim, and actually probably more boring than him. The Imprisoned is a boss you fight three times, and the fights are simply not different enough to matter or to be very fun. At one point you fight him twice, back to back, and it is quite boring. While there are some fun enemies (Lizardfos are actually quite fun to fight, as are the skeleton enemies) overall the game repeats monsters far too much and by the end you are very tired of fighting the same old things for the upteenth time, bosses and normal baddies alike.

The story is also bad. Most people don't even know that the world is in trouble, let alone that you're saving it, and there is nothing about the story which is very gripping. The fact that you live on floating islands is pretty much entirely incidental to the plot - it is just the Hyrule Field of this game, and it is no more interesting. The flying hardly matters at all - at only one point in the entire game do you actually use your bird to fight a bad guy - and really was an idea which was utterly wasted on this game.

The only good thing about the game is the dungeons and the leadup to them; the Lanyru desert is actually fairly enjoyable and has some interesting ideas, and the beetle allows for some interesting puzzles. Sadly, they failed to exploit the beetle as well as they could and should have, and many of the new items (the blower and the whip) feel very pointless. Unfortunately, the hookshot (or should I say, the clawshot) is feeling increasingly this way as well - once a really neat piece of equipment, the heavily sanitized targeting (targets and vines) results in it feeling much less versatile, interesting, and useful. Thus you're left with the bow and the beetle as the cool items that you can do lots of stuff with - a disappointingly small list

The ultimate problem, though, is that Zelda has failed to evolve, learn, and grow. Darksiders is basically a Zelda game, but its combat was much better and the game was thus much more fun. But the real tragedy is that Batman: Arkham Asylum is a Zelda game - just think about it. Batman has many of the same items as link does (a hookshot/grapnel, bombs, he even has a boomerang!), and he runs around solving puzzles to progress through dungeons, but unlike Link he isn't groundbound, he is very mobile, the combat is interesting, and the gameplay overall is much better. When you realize just how far behind Zelda has fallen, you wonder why you'd ever play a game like Skyward Sword in the first place. And the answer is - you wouldn't.
  33. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So many fetch quests that felt forced and unnecessary. Indeed "fetch the 15 pieces of the doodad I scattered around the land even though I know you're the hero and you need this doodad" was made into a chore in this game. Moreover, these doodads don't even serve a function! If I had been acquiring items by finding their pieces that were scattered by a malevolent demigod to impede my progress, I'd be content. There would be purpose to progress. However, instead you collect songs that are put in there for the sake of having songs, and unlike Ocarina of Time, they don't warp you anywhere or change game dynamics. Indeed, they are one-use spells that open some NEW FETCH QUEST TRIAL. Half of the sidequests involved going to the surface and finding an item that was literally RIGHT BESIDE the save statue. Fetch the 12 pieces of the song to open an area to fetch the 12 pieces of a spirit gauge to open the dungeon to fetch one of three flames. Incredible feedback and battle mechanics can't save the dreadful pacing and plot points. Great for sword fighting. Terrible for everything else. Expand
  34. Mar 16, 2012
    The only reason I'm writing this is because I just beat Skyward Sword and now I need to vent about the game... I was hoping to feel a sense of urgency or seriousness about the game like in the older Zelda games, but didn't feel like that was the case at all. Instead I felt more of a sense of awkwardness. The music was also awkwardly annoying throughout most of the game. The theme songThe only reason I'm writing this is because I just beat Skyward Sword and now I need to vent about the game... I was hoping to feel a sense of urgency or seriousness about the game like in the older Zelda games, but didn't feel like that was the case at all. Instead I felt more of a sense of awkwardness. The music was also awkwardly annoying throughout most of the game. The theme song to the game was the only exception. There were a number of other awkward parts in the game, but those were the two main disappointments about the game. The things I did enjoy was the use of the wii remote. Felt like it added a lot more to the gameplay. I also liked the actual story line and how it goes into more detail about how Link, Zelda, and Girham (or however you spell his name) are tied together.

Anyways, besides Mario Kart, Zelda is the only game I'm still hooked on from my childhood. I'll just have to give up on the new Zelda games and stick with Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time if I ever get the urge to play Zelda again!
  35. Jun 30, 2012
    To be quite frank to all the 'REAL' Zelda lovers this is my opinion:

To be quite frank to all the 'REAL' Zelda lovers this is my opinion:

Firstly I'm a DIEHARD zelda fan this game has changed my life. Well, sadly not this actual game itself. I'm 21 years old and currently an aspiring musician in the UK, when I was 7 years old and I'd heard the Lost Woods theme playing in the background of all that magical forestry I remember my heart skipping a beat for a second.
    So there I was motivated with my little yamaha toy keyboard infront of me and I sat down for 4 hours and learned the melody. 14 years later I'm still playing that melody to this current date. My undying love for music and adventures made this game feel like curry to a drunk. Everything Zelda up until 'Skyward Sword' brought me back to that magical moment when I was 7. I think the Critics aswell as the media are manufacturing lies when they say this is the best Zelda game since Ocarina of Time. It clearly isn't is it, about 65% of the way through the game I still had a glimmer of hope, I remember thinking to myself "It's ok after i'v done this bit I think I should finally be in hyrule field" There was no hyrule field. Instead the most adventurous map the developers could think of was above a few clouds with barely nothing to explore except a few chests you open on the ground below (which is only accessible through different parts of the sky). The music was nothing special either really, on OoT it was that detailed you could even learn to play the simpsons theme on your ocarina, little things like that made Zelda fun. Also being 21 and a smoker I really couldn't be bothered waving a stick around to kill an enemy can we have the option to use buttoned control pads again pleaaaaaaasseeee.
  36. Dec 29, 2012
    Weak story and character development. Although the game is playable, there was no drive for me to continue due to a lack of incentive to do so. I forced myself to beat the game because I beat every Zelda game before this one.
  37. Feb 24, 2012
    This appears to be one of those games you either love or hate. Unfortunately no matter how much I WANTED to love it... I just couldn't. Going into the game I had a hard time sticking with it I was so bored... Then suddenly everyone started reassuring me "Oh no it get's good about 20 hours in". 20 hours? A Zelda game that doesn't get good until 20 hours in? I'm sorry where is the memo thatThis appears to be one of those games you either love or hate. Unfortunately no matter how much I WANTED to love it... I just couldn't. Going into the game I had a hard time sticking with it I was so bored... Then suddenly everyone started reassuring me "Oh no it get's good about 20 hours in". 20 hours? A Zelda game that doesn't get good until 20 hours in? I'm sorry where is the memo that said Zelda would be taking lessons from Final Fantasy. But even with that I trudged through hoping to get to the promised "good" that was oh so deeply buried under a mountain of trash. Sadly almost at the end of the game... it just never came. Everything seemed like a big out of the way wild goose chase and nothing really flowed all that well at all. The flying controls were "wonky" at best for lack of a better word. Displaying every damned item I'd seen a hundred times before stopping in the middle of everything to show me picking it up, the explanation of the item and showing it being deposited in my bag just seemed so very needless... And Fi, don't even get me started on Fi. After being told where something is by the various goofy characters in the game of course Fi has to pop up and say THERE IS A 95% CHANCE THAT THING IS WHERE THEY JUST SAID. Oh... oh wow thanks, what ever would I do without you? Oh what's that? I'm low on hearts? I should probably find some? MAN, so THAT'S what that constant annoying beeping was! Ugh... I can't think of too many redeeming features of this game... I really can't. The entire thing just seems like a big chore. After the one point where I have to collect all those things under water I just stopped. I just couldn't take the monotony anymore. I'm glad there are many people that got more joy out of the game than I did, but it's still no Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess... or hell even a Wind Waker. It's just not Zelda in my eyes. Expand
  38. Apr 8, 2012
    Worst game ever. Why the fu** do you have to fight that fu**ing black monster 3 times... first time "i really did not like that" second time " I fu**ing hate Nintendo" third time i stood up, took the game out went to the street, put it in the street, and ate popcorn as i watched it get run over by a car. I stopped the car and gave the driver 20$. I Hate Nintendo. They ruined the one game IWorst game ever. Why the fu** do you have to fight that fu**ing black monster 3 times... first time "i really did not like that" second time " I fu**ing hate Nintendo" third time i stood up, took the game out went to the street, put it in the street, and ate popcorn as i watched it get run over by a car. I stopped the car and gave the driver 20$. I Hate Nintendo. They ruined the one game I was addicted to. If your addicted to LoZ play this game if you want to get over it, if you don't well its to late for me. Expand
  39. May 7, 2012
    Probably the WORST Zelda game ever created. Its fast travel system is completely stupid and a waste of time, the motion control's dont respond all the time and can be extremely frustrating when fighting an enemy. Previous Zelda games will always be the best. Then again, Nintendo will continue to milk the hell out of the franchise...
  40. Nov 22, 2011
    Been playing this series since the first one on the NES, and this is a fairly solid entry to the Zelda series, but there are some problems. For one thing, I'm pretty sick of the motion controls for the sword, I'd like an option for classic zelda style controls. In heated combat the motion controls feel unresponsive, and many enemies require precision strikes to defeat. The shields feelBeen playing this series since the first one on the NES, and this is a fairly solid entry to the Zelda series, but there are some problems. For one thing, I'm pretty sick of the motion controls for the sword, I'd like an option for classic zelda style controls. In heated combat the motion controls feel unresponsive, and many enemies require precision strikes to defeat. The shields feel utterly useless, they take up a space in your 'adventure pouch' a separate inventory from your normal gear and have a durability meter. The shield is made even more useless by the fact that extreme aggression is usually the method required to defeat enemies, rarely you will encounter an enemy who requires you use the shield. An MMO style grinding mechanic has been introduced: acquire treasures to upgrade your items, most of these come from monster drops, which are randomized, so be ready to grind out some keese in a zelda game to make your shield slightly better. The first boss is very un-zelda-y and feels out of place, you don't even get a chance to use your first dungeon item against it. Instead, it will serve to emphasize how off the controls feel, as you try to move your sword to strike from another angle, only to have it counted as a swing, and get damaged for it. Additionally the "Navi"-like entity accompanying you somehow feels less helpful than Navi ever did. Most enemies you encounter will only have very barebones descriptions which can leave you guessing what you're doing wrong while you get pummeled and struggle against them and the controls. Some of the enemies such as the "Armos" can stunlock you for a good 3-4 hearts in a row, making you very frustrated. This is possibly the first zelda game where I've ever been stunlocked by an enemy that just camps my knocked down body and gets free hits in taking half my hearts. The boomerang appears to be missing, and replaced by a slow flying beetle robot, which has a much different functionality. The beetle is less of a in-combat weapon and more of an out of combat seeker missile/bomber/puzzle tool. All in all, it isn't a bad zelda game, but it really needs more options to allow you to fine tune the controls or completely disable the combat motion controls in favor of standard controller play. With the option to disable motion controls I would have no pressing complaints about this title, but sadly this is not the case. Expand
  41. Jan 11, 2012
    I've played this game for 10 hours and I seriously can't understand all the 10s this game is getting. Must be Nintendo employees or fanboys. This game can be extremely annoying at times. There is a lot of dialog in this game, but the dialog boxes are typed out so slowly and there's no way to speed them up. By itself this wouldn't be so bad, but they keep popping up with "helpful" hintsI've played this game for 10 hours and I seriously can't understand all the 10s this game is getting. Must be Nintendo employees or fanboys. This game can be extremely annoying at times. There is a lot of dialog in this game, but the dialog boxes are typed out so slowly and there's no way to speed them up. By itself this wouldn't be so bad, but they keep popping up with "helpful" hints which simply can't skip and in one case had to wait through 3 of them each time I had to reattempt a particular challenge which was so frustrating (just let me retry the challenge again already)! Also annoying is the dialog that is often forced on you when you enter an area or at the end of a fight. Even more annoying is when a NPC directs you to do something and the game forces you to do it on the spot without letting you run off to grab that heart of gem a monster dropped not far away first. If you run too far away from where you need to do this task, you get a dialog with the same directions again and get teleported back. The combat controls are annoying. For many enemies you have to angle your sword attack in a particular way, but it's too sensitive to the initial movement you make before you make the proper swing you actually intended to make, so it often takes a few attempts to make a simple horizontal attack for example. Also, throwing items requires a particular motion with the controller that never seems to work for me on the first attempt. And it's far too sensitive to the angle of the controller in order to power up your sword. On the other hand, simply shaking the controller is sufficient for most fights. The camera movements can also be a bit annoying at times. Having said all that, it's not a bad game. Yes, it's like the previous Zeldas in many ways, but that's what the fans expect and want and that's what they've delivered. Expand
  42. Jul 18, 2012
    The Zelda series was born of Shigeru Miyamoto's childhood adventures around the Kyoto countryside, where he would discover caves, lakes and most of all, the joy of exploration.

This has been retired in the latest instalment, where exploration and vast seamless worlds have been sacrificed completely in favour of rigid, isolated adventure 'arenas'. Gone are the open waters of Great Sea, the dusty sunsets of Hyrule Fields, the intriguing duality of the light and dark worlds. Hearken in three, tiny, boxed-off playgrounds.

And a sky, oh how could I forget the sky? Three-dozen floating rocks of varying degrees of pointlessness.

I found this title utterly disappointing. Not only is the exploration the series was born from gone, but we're graced with the most boring and vacant Link to date - who's only response to his charming new world is a series of awkward grunts.

Dull, forgettable music (Song of the Goddess is the only one that was memorable). An irritating and bland support character (especially when compared to Midna and Linebeck), awkward and unresponsive controls (flight...), and it pains me to say this, but ugly and dated graphics.

Perhaps standalone, this title would be alright, but not as a Zelda title. Not even close.
  43. Dec 4, 2011
    This is a fantastic Zelda game, without a doubt. The story is as rich as ever and accompanied by great characters (perhaps not a strong as Wind Waker's cast) and a stellar musical score. The controls have been entirely reworked to fit the Wii's Motion Plus and, for the most part, it works great. The art direction is gorgeous, having a water paint filter over distant objects. The bosses andThis is a fantastic Zelda game, without a doubt. The story is as rich as ever and accompanied by great characters (perhaps not a strong as Wind Waker's cast) and a stellar musical score. The controls have been entirely reworked to fit the Wii's Motion Plus and, for the most part, it works great. The art direction is gorgeous, having a water paint filter over distant objects. The bosses and swordfights in the game are a lot of fun, although it means that there are less enemies in favor of more challenging fights. However, the game is still pretty easy on the first run and the game doesn't have enough punishments for dying or failing a puzzle.

The overworld is a bit disappointing. Where Wind Waker had multiple creative islands, Skyward Sword has only a handful of platforms. There also only one town, which is saddening. There are only three different areas, each containing two dungeons centering around that regions climate and style. The dungeons themselves are fairly short, but there are usually pre-dungeon areas that you must go through to reach them. Boss Fights are vastly improved from the last console Zelda and practically ooze creativity.

As I said earlier, the motion controls work well for the most part. That doesn't mean they don't have issues. The pointer needs to be centered a couple dozen times each play session and you'll likely need to re-calibrate the motion plus two or three times. Even then, some swings are easily misread. Thrusts are near-impossible to do when in a combat situation and require the utmost concentration to pull off, which can be excruciatingly frustrating when an enemy requires such a strike. The nunchuk is very sensitive in the game and is used for two functions; Shield Thrusts and the Spin Attack. On more than one occasion I found myself accidently pulling out my shield when trying to scratch my nose or adjust glasses. My complaints are mostly just nit-picking, but it can be really annoying to die due to a misread swing.

Overall, Skyward Sword is totally worth a purchase at any price. The game is lengthy, filled with that Nintendo-style charm and topped off with some of the best music in the entire Zelda franchise. I hope Nintendo can fix some of the issues in the next game and give us one of the best Zelda's yet.
  44. Dec 7, 2011
    Easily the second best 3D Zelda. It has the most focus on puzzles throughout the entire game than any other Zelda. The Wii m otion plus is actually pretty decent, and provides an interesting combat system that we haven't seen before, and actually, one that I would really like to see again, if they could do it in a unique way. The only problem people seem to have is that trying to stabEasily the second best 3D Zelda. It has the most focus on puzzles throughout the entire game than any other Zelda. The Wii m otion plus is actually pretty decent, and provides an interesting combat system that we haven't seen before, and actually, one that I would really like to see again, if they could do it in a unique way. The only problem people seem to have is that trying to stab sometimes doesn't work very well. If you stab a little bit more slowly you can usually get it to work consistently, but that's easy to say when I'm not in the heat of combat. But other than that the slicing motions are very responsive and they do exactly what you intend them to do. It also does not have any kind of filler material to the degree some of the other Zelda games had, such as Wind Waker's long sailing distances. There are some slightly long flight distances but honestly it only takes about two minutes or so if I were to guess to fly from one side of the map to the other. So we're not talking anywhere NEAR in the range of Wind Waker's sailing distances. This Zelda game also focused on side quests more than most Zelda games, but still nowhere near the amount of side quests Majora's Mask had. I would like to see another Zelda with Majora's Mask level side quests and non-linearity. The reason I can't give this game a perfect 10 is, well, it's not perfect. The problems I have are very minor, such as the stabbing problem, Fi talking too much and spoiling some puzzles, having to recalibrate the motion plus occasionally, the long intro that the game has, etc. but I wouldn't even be comfortable giving this game a 9.5 if I could. Expand
  45. May 8, 2012
    All the Zelda magic but with a fantastic new control system. It's hard to imagine a better implementation of the Wii motion controller. I've played every Zelda game since Link to the Past and this is a another superb entry to the series. A tighter, less open game structure than Twilight Princess is the only downside. Still one of the best games in existence.
  46. Dec 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me just say this: Skyward Sword was one of the best gaming experiences yet for me. The masterful use of the blended Wind Waker/Twilight Princess art style is truly amazing. The story is the best yet, and it leaves you aching the whole way through (In a good way!) The Wii Motion Plus makes your sword move 1:1 and makes fighting enemies for the first time like a puzzle. This game sets up events for the next games, and, spoiler, the creation of the legendary Master Sword. This is the first game in which Link gains the entire Triforce, and it explains why our green-clad hero is always up against a big baddie. If you are a fan of the series, definitely pick it up. Expand
  47. Dec 10, 2011
    Let's just say, this game is an absolute masterpiece. This is quite possibly the best game I have ever played. Nintendo perfectly blended beautiful music, a great art style, a surprisingly deep story, and perfect controls into this. The 5 years of work paid off amazingly.
  48. Jan 17, 2012
    Dont listen to the dumb trolls on this site...this game is just as good as OOT. Any true Zelda fan will attest to that. This is a game that MUST be owned and played by everyone.
  49. Jan 30, 2012
    As a game I'll give this a 7, but as a Zelda game I'll give it a 5-6.
    Huge disappointment in this game, been a massive zelda fan for about 14years, prior to this one wind waker was the only one I did not finish, not because I couldn't but because I didn't want to.
    As a game I'll give this a 7, but as a Zelda game I'll give it a 5-6.

The game has loads of very tedious tasks that seem only there to lengthen the game. It is very annoying that every time you start up the game you always have to discover the weird elements things and bugs all over again, you always have to keep talking to the shop owner to buy something unlike scrolling across like the old games.
    I hated the controls, there was nothing wrong with using a hand controller for zelda, if they really wanted to experiment they should have given you a choice to have the motion or normal controller,
    I had to stop playing after collecting part of a song from Faron, I know the rest of the game is just pretty much that so I'd rather just watch the ending than suffer that tedious task another two times plus the other pointless tasks I'll probably have to do before getting to the end.

If they make another, then I hope they go back like it was in the good old days
  50. May 5, 2012
    The best game of 2011 and the only title thats on par with OoT. If you were disappointed with Twilight Princess. I can almost assure you that you will have a better time with this. The main problem with this game, however, its the stamina meter, which you will have to just get used. The best part of the storyline, once you finish the game, you'll understand why things happened the way theyThe best game of 2011 and the only title thats on par with OoT. If you were disappointed with Twilight Princess. I can almost assure you that you will have a better time with this. The main problem with this game, however, its the stamina meter, which you will have to just get used. The best part of the storyline, once you finish the game, you'll understand why things happened the way they did in the previous games. (This is the first game in the LoZ timeline) Go pick up this game right now!!! Expand
  51. Jun 16, 2013
    I am a big fan of the Zelda series but skyward sword is the worse game ever! I will never get past the second condemned monster. I'm about ready to throw the controller at the t.v.
  52. Apr 5, 2015
    For everything this game does right it does five things wrong. One of the laziest games Ive ever seen by definition. Reused worlds, reused temples, reused bosses, a three hour prologue, and a completely empty sky simply there to make the game last longer. This might not be the worst thing ever made but it is by far the worst Zelda game there is. But more importantly, it's just unforgivably lazy.
  53. Dec 29, 2011
    Game is utter disapointment. Controls are awful, graphics are mushy, soundtrack is disapointing and there are hardly any new innovations or features when compared to previous titles. The Legend of Zelda serie is really starting to show its age and nintendo really have to start putting more efforts to these games in future.
  54. Jan 18, 2012
    Please you introduce classic control system.
    Motion control is a ****
    The Legend of Zelda SS is a worse game after The Legend of Zelda WW and TP, in fact they demonstrate it to the sales.
    It gets worse sales for The Legend of Zelda home of the history
  55. Feb 11, 2012
    The graphics and characters are incredible, the sounds and music are great. The challenges are awesome. Or would be, except...

Nintendo has removed the features that made older Zelda games popular and successful; searching, thinking, reasoning out challenges. In Skyward Sword you're shown or told at least twice everything you have to do to proceed. Not only are you not given a chance to think for yourself, you're prevented from doing it. Zelda is now a movie with interminable and inescapable cut scenes punctuated with "twitch" game segments. It's no wonder Nintendo is having financial difficulties.
  56. Aug 4, 2012
    I have a soft spot for Zelda from way back, this game cured me of it. Probably the most frustrating thing is sitting through constant dialogue screens. You cannot fast forward them and have to sit as page after page of boring inane rubbish (gee you look good in that green uniform...click A for next). And the text just crawls slowly across the screen. Waiting, waiting, click A.I have a soft spot for Zelda from way back, this game cured me of it. Probably the most frustrating thing is sitting through constant dialogue screens. You cannot fast forward them and have to sit as page after page of boring inane rubbish (gee you look good in that green uniform...click A for next). And the text just crawls slowly across the screen. Waiting, waiting, click A. Waiting, waiting, Click A.

After that terrible bird race, you have to jump off a tower and land inside a circle. If you miss the circle...then try again. Well, try again after sitting through 5 screens of Zelda telling you how to do it, the text just crawls and you cannot fast foward. Ugh. This is even more frustrating than the terrible controls.
  57. Nov 23, 2011
    From all the perfect 10/10 and the hype of the last zelda game on the wii, I would be expecting an incredibly awesome game. Instead, I got a game that is just "fine" for the wii. And, in comparison with all the great triple A releases on the ps3 and xbox, a game that just doesn't measure up.

Gameplay The game is easy, really easy.You never actually have to die in this game. All the

Gameplay
    The game is easy, really easy.You never actually have to die in this game. All the enemies can be beaten without any challenge. The wii sensor always has its usual issues(not comparing to the usual button controls) Some of the boss fights were allright, but nothing special.

Graphics
    I am really disappointed with them. I don't understand how they managed to make a game that looks worse than both twilight princess and wind waker. They tried blending the styles, but did so in a way that just doesn't mesh.

I give the game a 6 because while the game is not terrible, it just doesn't compare to the competition. OOT released today would garner an 8, and this game is decidedly inferior to that.
  58. Dec 30, 2011
    The game is not that good, since its more of the same stuff from older games, Zelda needs to redefine itself... its pretty much the same story, the same characters with different controls and dungeons, so its not as great as everyone is saying but still worth playing.
  59. Jan 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I Am a greatest for the legend of zelda, but I have not absolutely appreciated new combat system.
    The legend of zelda is not bad hack and slash, is beautiful adventure. motion plus is annoying and tiring controller. Please returned classic control in the future, otherwise I will not buy wii u
  60. Dec 13, 2011
    Horrible controls, linearity, fetch quests galore, underwhelming sountrack, characters so utterly over the top ridiculously kiddy they make Wind Waker look like Gears Of War in comparison Skyward Sword proves yet again beyond a shadow of a doubt that not only is Eiji Aonouma a hack no talent director/producer but that the man can continually time and time again top his own efforts atHorrible controls, linearity, fetch quests galore, underwhelming sountrack, characters so utterly over the top ridiculously kiddy they make Wind Waker look like Gears Of War in comparison Skyward Sword proves yet again beyond a shadow of a doubt that not only is Eiji Aonouma a hack no talent director/producer but that the man can continually time and time again top his own efforts at horrible game design in a manner eerily similar to how his creative superior Shigeru Miyamoto seemingly can top himself at creating better and better games. Ever since the utter disaster and trainwreck as well insults to the Zelda series that were and are Majora's Mask and Wind Waker the Zelda series has been sliding downhill into mediocrity and impending irrelevancy. The solution of course is to either outright fire Eiji Aonouma or remove him from the Zelda team and get Miyamoto directing the series he and Takashi Tezuka invented again but will Nintendo do that? Will they do the right thing?? WIth their track record of idiotic decisions the answer to that question is unlikely. They give us a romance between Link and Zelda FINALLY and they STILL DON'T KISS! What the hell is wrong with Nintendo? 25 years of blue balling Link and the fanbase is utterly unacceptable. The Mass Effect series and Elder Scrolls have undoubtably surpassed what Zelda as a game franchise has become under Aonouma's stewardship and that never needed to happen but through Nintendo's negligence and arrogance it HAS happened. Skyward Sword offers us an ultra kiddy dumbed down Bizarre with idiotic parental figures one that gobbles like a turkey in an attempt to calm down the baby on his back which I'm sure only serves to upset the baby further and the mother idiotically calls out "hey yo!" so much to no one in particular you'd think she was a Scott Hall fan of late 90's professional wrestling fame. Add to that a cast of characters that belong on either the Disney Channel (Groose) or the Logo Network (Ghirahim, Pumpkin Soup bartender, Bizarre Fortune Teller, and Fun Island man) you've got a whole collection of characters that are simply inappropriate for the Legend Of Zelda's overall theme as a series which is that this game series is supposed to be and always was (before Eiji Aonouma got his dirty hands on it) a midieval sword and sorcery adventure which common sense dictates should feature mostly serious characters both that you can take seriously as your opponents as well your allies. The site of the eye shadow wearing, dangly diamond clad homosexual Ghirahim does not fill one with terror but a combination of disgust and laughter two feelings no one should be getting from a Legend Of Zelda series boss. Demise the final boss and predecessor of the Ganon character is more what the series is supposed to be all about but unfortunately we have to suffer through his homosexual non threatening buddy who belongs on the Logo Network Ghirahim through the majority of the game and not just once but three times we have to face that decidedly unmanly tribute to cultural marxism and the moral corruption of American society. Ultimately I give this game a 1 to both signify its quality from my perspective as well grudgingly say that hardcore Zelda fans should at least play through this one once before putting it on their shelves with the rest of the Nintendo shovelware to collect dust and never be played again to disgrace and insult our collective intelligence with. From the tedious and far too numerous Silent Realm fetch quests to the tad notes fetch quest Eiji Aonouma and the new director Hidemaro Fujibayashi have truly created something that competes NOT with Ocarina Of Time but rather with Superman 64, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker for the worst game of all time and with the latter two games for the worst so called "Zelda" game in the series history. Message to Nintendo in closing: If you have any sense left in you as a company remove Eiji Aonouma from the Zelda series development immediately and get Shigeru Miyamoto back in the director's chair or Takashi Tezuka either of the series original creators and get the best writer the series has ever had Yoshiaki Koizumi to write the story. If you want to make this series worth a damn again and sell more than Ocarina Of Time or equivalent to that title do as I say. You companies only care about money anyway and that NOT Disney-ing the series up is what will bring you the masses of money that you desire. Wind Waker was a flop and Skyward Sword is turning into a sales flop as well despite being the supposed fastest selling Zelda so understand that the overall Zelda fanbase has spoken. No more cartoons or Aonouma garbage we want a real and worthy Zelda game to follow in the direction Ocarina Of Time and Link To The Past had the series heading in so long ago and only Miyamoto and Tezuka know how to bring it back in that direction, back on course. Expand
  61. Nov 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was really ready to love this game since it's a new Zelda game and I have played them all from start to finish! Ive grown up with these game and have been waiting along time for this wii release of a zelda game...

First of all... Were's the freedom we all LOVED with the old games? Now you just "dive" into new areas... The exploring of the game is gone.. And why is the graphic ALWAYS out of focus? The textures is so low resolution that's a shame to the franchise.. :( The drawing distance of the game engine is terrible. The graphics is way worse than ocarina of time that came out in 1998... The puzzles in this game are great! But the control ruins the fun, the joystick is way slower than it was in TP and the motion plus of the sword is somewhat the only thing that works with the controls. You always have to recalibrate the motion plus controller when you try flying for example the beetle. And there is so many insignificant uses of the wii motion controller that could be done with buttons better! This game is made for the motion controllers but you could made a more balanced gameplay controller... The story of the game is ridiculous #SPOILERS you live on a floating island and you try to become a knight and zelda get caught by a storm and yes the nonsense story goes on. It's not like the good old games were you actualy have a good background like you come from a little forest village and fight yourself upwards in the world! No now your some kind of random god knight that's flying a big useless bird that's impossible to controll and just dive/jump into new "dungeons". And what's up with your SWORD, now it's no fairy that's helping you ,now your sword is carrying somekind of ALIEN like sword creature that calculates everything "it's 95% chance you will find Zelda in this dungeon". And the alien always talk about the motion controller and how you can recalibrate it, what a nice way to keep the adventure illusion talking about the controller "35% of all the time the alien talks". There's still no voice acting but it's of no big deal us Zelda fans are used to it and it's no setback compared to the other games. The sound is good to make it short. I have finished the game. All the way I was thinking why the **** dont I play ocarina of time / TP ?! The score is based on 1point for the sword controll, 1point for the sound and 1 for the puzzles. I hope if you read this that you will get a greater experince of this Zelda game than I had. I guess my expectations were to high :(
  62. Nov 24, 2011
    The controls are not very accurate. The story is nothing great. The graphics even considering being a Wii game has nothing that has not already been done better on that platform.
  63. Dec 24, 2011
    -sigh- IGN, you prefered a female peter pan running around punching at stuff over Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim? This game or this series is too repetitive, overrated, and has poor graphics. The controls are your typical Wii game, so pretty lame. The game itself is very fun, but it's been evened out with how typical these games are, it's not quite on the 50 dollar price tag. That's when-sigh- IGN, you prefered a female peter pan running around punching at stuff over Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim? This game or this series is too repetitive, overrated, and has poor graphics. The controls are your typical Wii game, so pretty lame. The game itself is very fun, but it's been evened out with how typical these games are, it's not quite on the 50 dollar price tag. That's when IGNorance comes by and gives this game a 10. Expand
  64. Nov 10, 2013
    Easily one of the worst Zeldas I've played, and I've played most of them.

Controls are atrocious, the motion sensing doesn't add anything except frustration. As with the latest DS Zeldas, they are recycling the same gameplay over and over again. I suppose I could say that for most recent Nintendo games Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart nothing new or improved in any of them. Hopefully the
    Easily one of the worst Zeldas I've played, and I've played most of them.

Hopefully the new Zelda 3DS game will be better, it really couldn't be worse.
  65. May 1, 2012
    Skyward Sword deserves to be thought of just as highly as Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, two of my favorite games for their respective systems. There's no question that Skyward Sword will be one of the top games in the Wii's lifetime. The change in controls gives new perspective on how gamers can play a Zelda game, let alone an adventure game, and makes it more than just another iterationSkyward Sword deserves to be thought of just as highly as Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, two of my favorite games for their respective systems. There's no question that Skyward Sword will be one of the top games in the Wii's lifetime. The change in controls gives new perspective on how gamers can play a Zelda game, let alone an adventure game, and makes it more than just another iteration of what I consider to be one of Nintendo's top-tier series. The new setting is full of winks and nods to the games that preceded it and an avid Zelda fan like myself can't help but light up when a reference is noticed. I've played a lot of great games this year, but no other game has made me feel so good about enjoying my time with it. Skyward Sword is engaging, accessible and highly capable of being considered a classic by many in this gaming generation. Expand
  66. Mar 5, 2012
    I thought it couldn't be done. Since that dreadful Chrismas where I received Zelda 2: Link from Satan Clause . I was then subjected to the most depressing and frustrating game since TWO months ago when I got Super Mario Bros 2 for my birthday!! Mario aside, since that abomination (that was traded for Metroid to a naive neighbour! Whooo!) I have loved and enjoyed EVERY LoZ game. I'm notI thought it couldn't be done. Since that dreadful Chrismas where I received Zelda 2: Link from Satan Clause . I was then subjected to the most depressing and frustrating game since TWO months ago when I got Super Mario Bros 2 for my birthday!! Mario aside, since that abomination (that was traded for Metroid to a naive neighbour! Whooo!) I have loved and enjoyed EVERY LoZ game. I'm not going to wax poetic about every game I've played from the series, I'll just say my three favourite are Link to the Past, Majora's Mask and Windwaker. But I love every game in different ways, except for 2 and now Skyward Sword! The start was well told and the gameplay was fun. I was getting frustrated with the bird controls but presumed it was just first time play issues. Fast forward to the action and exploring aspects that were, again, frustrating but with these in time I got wise to but not the bird controls, which still had some serious stank to it!!! Though I will give a high five to the dropping off the bird and skydiving to a destination which looked very cool! The sword play is just like Twilight but a little more precise, the balancing/ledging was hard at first but got easy over time, the items were half and half with my real complaint being no boomerang!! I was a bit disappointed by the repeat boss, the mining facility, the beetle, the main bad guy, the utility belt, and that idiot clown mini-game. But my biggest frown was how little exploration and secrets there was. Only a handful of levels and very, very little exploring made the gameplay really repetitive and lacklustre. By the time I got to the air monster, I was in full depression and felt "Here we go again" which I NEVER had even in Majora's!! And that was Link's answer to Groundhog Day!!!! So I was really excited at the start, got emotional at points, had some fun but in the end I was left unfulfilled and frustrated. I'm not saying to avoid this game. If you love Zelda then buy this now!! If you've never played Zelda and am somewhat a game player, this game is actually very good as it helps you along and gives you minor hints. Though as a fan I found it very annoying after a while especially Fi's COMPUTER talk! I was just disappointed as a major fan, maybe due to me getting old and crusty!! What did it for me was that I had no need to play this game again after beating it and it has been some time now. That is what told me that Zelda 2, along with Mario 2, Kirby's Epic Yawn and Metroid Other M now had a new companion in my Nintendo Temple of Bore. Sorry again Link. Expand
  67. Apr 26, 2012
    Bar none, this is one of the greatest zelda titles that I have ever had the privilege to play. The controls allow for an incredibly sense of immersion and dungeons are well designed and lengthy. This is a great game and a worthy zelda title.
  68. Mar 28, 2012
    it has best gameplay controls and its the best game ever. super mario galaxy 2 can not compare. better than ocarina of time. I WOULD recomend this game. a masterpiece
  69. Oct 4, 2012
    Let me put this in summary: Nintendo couldn't have done worse for the controls by choosing to incorporate this game with wii motion plus.
    I non-stop found myself in frustration as I failed to get to grips with the unnecessarily awkward controls.
    My advise/request: keep things simple, go back to the franchise's roots and use the characteristics that everyone loves about this once fantastic franchise.
    I (what seems hopelessly) look forward to the day when I will see a continuation of the ocarina of time/majora's mask quality games of the franchise.
  70. Mar 1, 2012
    "The Legend of Boredo...."....ah-emm, "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword", while it could only seem an interesting game for six to eight years old guys if it weren't so boring and tiring, it's instead the perfect game for lobotomized ones. Yes, thanks Ninty for keep saying me what i have to do for the whole game, cause been lobotomized I lack that piece of brain to understand it by"The Legend of Boredo...."....ah-emm, "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword", while it could only seem an interesting game for six to eight years old guys if it weren't so boring and tiring, it's instead the perfect game for lobotomized ones. Yes, thanks Ninty for keep saying me what i have to do for the whole game, cause been lobotomized I lack that piece of brain to understand it by myself, despite this I have to give this game a 0 only to drop its rating which is actually WAY to high, otherwise it could deserve even a 2. Expand
  71. Dec 1, 2011
    Twilight Princess for me; I've been forcing myself to play skyward sword, it's the first Zelda game i dislike. I brought all the Zelda games on there launch dates; I'm so surprisingly shocked at my hate for this game..........(MY OPINION ONLY) it feels like a dumbed down Dark cloud 2 (visuals and gameplay wise) with bad music, and link seems to be weaker than previous versions. Oh; and whyTwilight Princess for me; I've been forcing myself to play skyward sword, it's the first Zelda game i dislike. I brought all the Zelda games on there launch dates; I'm so surprisingly shocked at my hate for this game..........(MY OPINION ONLY) it feels like a dumbed down Dark cloud 2 (visuals and gameplay wise) with bad music, and link seems to be weaker than previous versions. Oh; and why are the puzzles so easy? Poor Pacing; repetive objectives, and ugly characters. on the upside i did get a gold wii remote out of it :) Expand
  72. Jan 25, 2012
    This game isn't really that good and I love Zelda! Poor job I have to say. Nothing really even makes sense in this game but I guess you have to do better next time.
  73. Nov 23, 2011
    Before you write me off my review is based on the australian pal version of the game and its terrible. huge black borders (letterboxing) which cuts half the screen, why???!!?? nintendo never gave a rats arse about australian releases (they have done the same thing since the snes days) you can change the settings on the wii but it just stretches the crap out of the game. also have toBefore you write me off my review is based on the australian pal version of the game and its terrible. huge black borders (letterboxing) which cuts half the screen, why???!!?? nintendo never gave a rats arse about australian releases (they have done the same thing since the snes days) you can change the settings on the wii but it just stretches the crap out of the game. also have to mention, why does windwakers and twilights graphics seem more solid and crisp? the actual game itself is okay but your pointer just goes nuts sometimes and flying the bird feels awkward. Expand
  74. Dec 7, 2011
    Woops Kinda did the wrong rating there but just go towards my review - When I first saw this game I thought it would be good or something new aside from the other games like Twighlight princess. Yes it does have a long number of hours of gameplay but it seems to be just another hack and slash. The controls for it was extremely bad even with motion plus. I got frustrated with it becauseWoops Kinda did the wrong rating there but just go towards my review - When I first saw this game I thought it would be good or something new aside from the other games like Twighlight princess. Yes it does have a long number of hours of gameplay but it seems to be just another hack and slash. The controls for it was extremely bad even with motion plus. I got frustrated with it because when my controller went off screen the whole thing **** out. The story is good and interesting but the gameplay seemed to repitive to me. Expand
  75. Dec 27, 2011
    Another Zelda game, another entirely overrated game. This franchise has been stagnating since the release of Ocarina of Time. Graphics - Really? This is 2011, and after 5 years in development, this game still looks awful. I have never been a fan of the cartoon look (an i'm not alone), but even I knew Wind Waker looked beautiful. This game, however, does not. Moreover, if you'reAnother Zelda game, another entirely overrated game. This franchise has been stagnating since the release of Ocarina of Time. Graphics - Really? This is 2011, and after 5 years in development, this game still looks awful. I have never been a fan of the cartoon look (an i'm not alone), but even I knew Wind Waker looked beautiful. This game, however, does not. Moreover, if you're Nintendo, you will probably not increase the appeal of this series by choosing this particular art style.

Gameplay- Typical Wii crap, but even worse. Look, I've played plenty of Wii games, and the games where the controls haven't been an issue are those where the whole motion controls aren't stressed (example being DKC Returns). However, Skyward Sword does stress the motion controls, and it doesn't do a good job. Holding your shied up is whatever, and the so-called "precise" sword slices aren't precise. Also, you're better off just avoiding attacks than using your shield, and most enemies on most occasions can be defeated by basic button-mashing sword slicing. Making those so focused upon, and supposedly essential precise sword swings unnecessary. Story- The only aspect of the game which I don't completely dislike. Having said that, it's not executed all that well. It reminds of Wind Waker, which I thought had an interesting concept to it, but wasn't told or illustrated in a good way. The same applies to this game. Some of the reasons for the game's lackluster story stem from poor English grammar (a lot of fragments, clunky sentences, weird language, etc.). The game also spends a lot of time telling you important to mundane things 2 to 3 times, which is aggravating. Most of the time though, there is just too much useless conversations (which cannot be skipped, only sped up). Also, when will Zelda incorporate voice talent? It really is noticeable in this game for the forgoing reasons. Other - There are other issues which bring this game down. First off, I hope you like backtracking, because there will be plenty of that (which is a cardinal sin I believe in a Zelda series). Second, most of the weapons offered in this game aren't all that good, or rarely used (the game is honestly obsessed with the sword, something I have never seen in a Zelda; maybe Zelda II?). Third, despite this game being the first to use a full orchestra, the songs aren't memorable nor made to fully take advantage of the instruments. Fourth, the game takes about 5+ hours before it actually gets interesting; that's absolutely inexcusable for any game, movie, book, etc. Again, this will not appeal to any new fans. Moreover, the ease of this game (the constant hand holding, coddling is pathetic). In the end, I don't think this game is awful, but its not great, let alone the "best Zelda ever" as so many idiots have noted. This game is weaker than Twilight, which was weaker than Wind Waker, which was weaker than Ocarina. The series simply hasn't been magical in 10+ years, and this recent entry further solidifies my idea that this series is and will continue to stagnate

[Note: I gave this game a 0 only to drop its rating from 7.7, which is WAY to high]
  76. Dec 4, 2011
    Sorry to give it such a low score but the motion controls did not work for me at all. perhaps this was a technical issue, but this is a serious issue since you can not play game if the controller doesn't work properly. After a lot of time spent making sure the controls where set up as best i could, the game had so much text to click through that after giving the game about 5 hours worth iSorry to give it such a low score but the motion controls did not work for me at all. perhaps this was a technical issue, but this is a serious issue since you can not play game if the controller doesn't work properly. After a lot of time spent making sure the controls where set up as best i could, the game had so much text to click through that after giving the game about 5 hours worth i got very impatient and frustrated and chose to play something else. Expand
  77. Oct 15, 2014
    This is the only Zelda game I ever bought that I resold to a used video game vendor. To learn that this game had so many high reviews was just baffling to me. The wii controls made me want to pull my hair out. Yeah it made fights more challenging but I always liked the feeling of knocking back a ton of enemies and feeling a step above all of my opponents. The fact that even battling aThis is the only Zelda game I ever bought that I resold to a used video game vendor. To learn that this game had so many high reviews was just baffling to me. The wii controls made me want to pull my hair out. Yeah it made fights more challenging but I always liked the feeling of knocking back a ton of enemies and feeling a step above all of my opponents. The fact that even battling a goblin was a tiresome task made me want to throw the game away before it ever started. I admit the flashy cutscenes are really truly enjoyable but if that is what gives this game it's high ratings than it truly defines where we put our value in videogame quality. Fi felt like a dripping faucet and a nagging girlfriend who did everything but actually help me. There is absolutely no exploration with this game either. Worst Zelda game ever and I truly hope Nintendo doesn't repeat this model or zelda games might very well be ruined for me forever. Expand
  78. May 9, 2012
    Skyward sword has it all. Good old zelda game play, memorable characters and a interesting world to explore. Even if your new to the zelda series i would still highly reccomend this game looking for a epic lengthy adventure. Skyward sword is one of he most colorful and best looking games on wii. The game also works great with wii motion plus. This game is simply a masterpiece that shouldSkyward sword has it all. Good old zelda game play, memorable characters and a interesting world to explore. Even if your new to the zelda series i would still highly reccomend this game looking for a epic lengthy adventure. Skyward sword is one of he most colorful and best looking games on wii. The game also works great with wii motion plus. This game is simply a masterpiece that should be experienced by anyone who likes games in general. Expand
  79. May 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a die-hard Zelda fan I was a little sceptical, thinking the graphics looked a little weird. Now that I've played it, I still think they look weird, but in a fantastically charming way. My favourite game of all time is Ocarina, but I would place this a close second.
    The first major thing in Skyward Sword, after the funky graphics, is the motion plus sword-play. For the first hour (or three) it really annoyed me, because I wasn't very good at it, and got more frustrated when simply wildly swinging the remote actually did worse than me trying properly. The enemy that annoyed me the most early on was the Lizalfos, but by the end of the game, I could kick their asses in seconds, because I had improved along the way, which is an aspect I loved.
    The music and puzzles, which have always been a particular forte of the series, were true to form. I had a blast playing it. This Zelda really pulled away from the endless torch lighting, and block pushing you get in some of the older games (which I love too btw.) Some of the challenges were downright inspiring.
    I liked being able to upgrade items, and having to customize my inventory depending on upcoming challenges. The bosses were fantastic, as well, with the final boss fight being one of the most interesting I've seen for a while (no tennis).
    Some of the new items were brilliant. I absolutely loved being able to look around a room, and plan out what I was supposed to do, without having to move, using the beetle (especially once upgraded). The wind-bag thing kinda sucked because it didn't seem to do anything outside of blowing sand around (it can't even put out torches). I was glad to see the clawshots return - they were awesome in TP, and similarly so in SS.
    The story, of course, was typical Zelda style. It starts out slow, but once you get a little ways into it, it gets so much better.
    There were, however, some niggling annoyances in there too. One such problem was that Fi, the weird, statistically minded alien thing, living in your sword, would constantly try and explain what I was supposed to do, essentially solving the only challenging part of the puzzle for me, to the point where I would simply look away from the screen any time she said anything.
    Another was the overworld. You have literally the entire sky extending as far as you can see, and the only islands other than the main one were some lacklustre mini-games and a rather pointless little bar type thing. Really, the only thing I missed in this game, that made me love some of the older titles (especially Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess) was the grit and mystery of it. It was really cheerful, all of the time. I just wish everything wasn't so obvious all the time. Also, I beat the final boss so fast, without losing any health, because he was way too predictable. Scale it up towards the end Nintendo - we like a challenge. If the enemy is supposed to be the King of Evil, and this terrifying demon which couldn't be killed by the goddesses, why does he bounce off my shield like a stick wielded by a small child?

In all, however, the game engrossed me from start to finish, even with the annoyances, and I strongly recommend people at least try it, in lieu of the dubious graphics.
  80. Mar 3, 2013
    This was by far the worst Zelda game for me. It just seemed like it was made for a different age group than Im in (born 1990). It lacked the dark parts of the story that Twilight Princess had. This made the game feel a lot more like a kids game, without the depth and mature parts of Links adventure. It really felt like they wanted to adjust the game to fit lower ages. This was shown alsoThis was by far the worst Zelda game for me. It just seemed like it was made for a different age group than Im in (born 1990). It lacked the dark parts of the story that Twilight Princess had. This made the game feel a lot more like a kids game, without the depth and mature parts of Links adventure. It really felt like they wanted to adjust the game to fit lower ages. This was shown also in the "cartoony" choice of art style and design of the characters. Comparing Zelda in Skyward Sword to Zelda in Twilight Princess, Zelda looks like a kids manga character.

On the technical part, the motion controls werent very precise and became frustrating after a while. Sometimes you just want to sink down the couch and slip into the world of Zelda.

I cant say much about the graphics, its down to the hardware. Though I did feel this game felt extra blurry with the chosen art style. The gameplay was alright, parts of it was very enjoyable. The game did seem a bit too easy once beaten it and there was no real urge to go back for the stuff you missed either. It would have been nice with some more sword upgrades. For future games:
    * Make the motion controls optional, with support for the Wii U pro controller.
    * Blend dark, mature environments with the colourful and fantasy inspired.
    * Make the characters with more realism inspiration. I'm thinking lord of the rings, not realism as in watching TV. We can push it much much further before it becomes "too realistic".
    * DONT MAKE ZELDA INTO ANOTHER KIDS GAME PLEASE! YOU HAVE SO MANY ALREADY!
  81. Dec 20, 2011
    Very underwhelming. The only really good thing about the game is the story. I don't mean that it's particularly well written or anything, it's as childish as ever, but somehow it convinced me and drew me in to the fairytale, so no complaints there. Other than that... The graphics are colorful but horrendous, seriously they look like late PS1/early PS2 graphics. No idea why they screwedVery underwhelming. The only really good thing about the game is the story. I don't mean that it's particularly well written or anything, it's as childish as ever, but somehow it convinced me and drew me in to the fairytale, so no complaints there. Other than that... The graphics are colorful but horrendous, seriously they look like late PS1/early PS2 graphics. No idea why they screwed that up, Twilight Princess looked amazing compared to this. The dungeons are entertaining but the game overuses some of the designs and they get repetitive. The motion controls are miserable and the game is extremely focused on them, instead of using them for optional "flair" like TP. All those people who wrote about perfect controls obviously have a different controller from the future, because both of my remote+nunchuk+plus sets behaved the same way, the game urges you to be precise, which is impossible because the cursor sometimes goes all over the place or disappears, the sword works in mysterious ways and does whatever it wants and everything else like bird flying or using the parachute etc is downright depressing in its randomness. Also, the game's too easy and never forces you to use the combat in-depth, but I guess considering the state of the controls that's a good thing. I remember Miyamoto trying to demonstrate the game at some E3 a couple years ago and he failed hardcore because the controls didn't work and he (jokingly?) asked people in the audience to turn off their cellphones because they cause interference, and we were all like "aww, it's just an early version of the game, they'll fix that". Well, they didn't do a really good job. Overall, ok game, it has its moments, but for a major Nintendo franchise that celebrates its 25th year, it's inexcusable for it to have so many problems. Expand
  82. Jan 13, 2012
    i liked zelda but this is a dissapointment i mean the game in general is just so unfulling id made me want to cry if i had the choice i would play ocarina skyward didnt exactly make the chopping block
  83. dz9
    Jan 13, 2012
    What I hate about most mainstream reviews on this game is that they seem to drive on the fact that everyone is SUPPOSE to like Zelda. They seem to forget that the controls only work 35% of the time, lots of time you'll find yourself throwing more slashes than you wants which sometimes means game over, lots of times Link will swing the opposite way you actually swing which can cost you aWhat I hate about most mainstream reviews on this game is that they seem to drive on the fact that everyone is SUPPOSE to like Zelda. They seem to forget that the controls only work 35% of the time, lots of time you'll find yourself throwing more slashes than you wants which sometimes means game over, lots of times Link will swing the opposite way you actually swing which can cost you a heart, they seem to forget the fact that you have to constantly recalibrate, I don't care that it is easy to calibrate, the damage is still there, you still have to take time out of the action constantly just to calibrate the remote, they seem to forget that the new stamina bar is more limiting than it is strategic, they seem to forget the long unnecessary loading times between areas, and they seem to forget the fact that Link can't make clear turns which constantly cause you to mess up in the dungeons. BUT WHAT THEY DO SEEM TO REMEMBER IS the cleverly designed graphics, the focus on story, the innovative new way of the world map, and the cool new tools in Link's arsenal. The Good: graphics, story, innovations in world map and tools, and a few cool utilizations with the Wiimote. The Bad: the wiimote can't handle the game, too many loading screens, unresponsive moving controls, and the stale stamina bar. I LOVE Zelda games just as much as everyone else, i even loved Twilight Princess, seeing the main developer of Zelda show off the tech behind this and seeing that the game was even messing up for him in front of a live audience made the game look embarrassing. I'm glad to report that the game is controlled better than the time of the tech demonstration that I just mentioned, and the 35% of the time that it works, it works beautifully. It's hard not to imagine the possibilities of this game if it was hosted on the Kinect or Move, it's not just the Wiimote that can't handle the game... its the Wii in general. Most of the flaws in the game is not the games fault, it is the Wii's... the game is utterly and drastically limited by the Wii's tech. Maybe and hopefully this game will be much better on the WiiU. In the End... this is a good game: FOR THE WII, but on the scale of what most games can do now, it falls flat Expand
  84. Feb 22, 2012
    The controls are heavenly but the game isn't. While the controls work great and lead to many interesting moments, there just isn't a fun game attached to them. It's pretty much just wasting time to get to one area of the world, which allows you to waste time in ANOTHER part of the world (That on the way, just waste your time with flying that can take several minutes. ) The only fun to beThe controls are heavenly but the game isn't. While the controls work great and lead to many interesting moments, there just isn't a fun game attached to them. It's pretty much just wasting time to get to one area of the world, which allows you to waste time in ANOTHER part of the world (That on the way, just waste your time with flying that can take several minutes. ) The only fun to be had in this game is inside the dungeons, which there are not enough of. I think I will skip future Zelda games if they are anything like this. Expand
  85. Nov 22, 2011
    I'm feeling a bit... I don't know. I fondly remember playing the very first Zelda, dying... a lot. I've played every Zelda from that point on. A Link To The Past changed my entire outlook on gaming. It, along with Super Metroid were what defined that era. Then welcome the N64 and the new 3D Zelda... I felt empty. Maybe it was all the yapping, maybe it was the goofy characters, the stupidI'm feeling a bit... I don't know. I fondly remember playing the very first Zelda, dying... a lot. I've played every Zelda from that point on. A Link To The Past changed my entire outlook on gaming. It, along with Super Metroid were what defined that era. Then welcome the N64 and the new 3D Zelda... I felt empty. Maybe it was all the yapping, maybe it was the goofy characters, the stupid expressions, the repetitive phrases, the silly grunts and groans - but it lost me. I tried playing through OoT, MM... but I never ended up getting an N64 and tried it much later. I felt lost, there was no connection. I found my way back on the GBA releases and fell in love again, so of course I snapped it up when Wind Waker released on my recently purchased Game Cube... meh. It was okay, better than the previous games, but still with the goofy expressions, no vocal work, silly translations, characters that don't fit what you'd expect in real life (really, that's how kings/leaders speak?). But I finished it, even though by the end I wanted to take the boat and set it on fire.

Then I fell back in love with the Minish Cap, got the Wii for Metroid Prime and snapped up TP... same problems, same dislikes but worse, I had to waggle the heck out of my arm to play.

And now, this, with Motion Plus, and my RSI due to all the work I've done in these many years, I end up sore from swinging my sword, annoyed from the flying, sick of the stupid characters, the powdered cheeks, the goofy look of the salesman, the offensive flamboyant Beedle? Really? This is compared to the complex characters in almost every other video game out there?

I don't get it. I may finish it, but I just don't get it any more. I'll go back to play LTTP, and all the awesome GBA games, skip the stylus-focused NDS.

Zelda to me isn't this. For a lot of you it is, and although I don't understand that and know it's my own fault constantly trying... but this just isn't my thing. I'm very disappointed, how could I not be? This is something I grew up on from its very first incarnation - but how does everyone just shrug off the weirdness and sillyness, just that... it's so.. Maybe that's why people like it. I don't know. Sigh. I don't get the overwhelming praise. I mean, I want to, but I just don't feel it. It's not a "terrible" game, but I just don't feel I have the desire to finish it. If I do, I fear I may need to spend 5 times the price of the game on physio for my arm, stupid waggle controls...
  86. Mar 6, 2012
    And so it was decided. That Nintendo would release the same game again and again. And again.

The story is the same story in every Zelda game, fighting is the same. and puzzles, although challenging, are just as tedious. I'm glad I switched to the Xbox. This is probably the last Zelda game I will ever buy because I have been buying the same game since Majoras Maks
  87. Feb 25, 2012
    I'm doing something a little different (admitting this might not be 'right'), but I'm scoring this game with-respect to my expectations. And explaining it that way, this is the most disappointing game of my 30 years of videogaming, and therefor deserves the lowest score possible. Everything about this game is average at best, and the motion controls (even though apparently great by manyI'm doing something a little different (admitting this might not be 'right'), but I'm scoring this game with-respect to my expectations. And explaining it that way, this is the most disappointing game of my 30 years of videogaming, and therefor deserves the lowest score possible. Everything about this game is average at best, and the motion controls (even though apparently great by many reviewers) are just, well, beyond terrible. The stuff that works are nothing we haven't seen before 1000 times and the stuff that is 'revolutionary' is just, well, beyond terrible. The exploration is a chore. The dungeons range boring to acceptable. The boss battles are alright. The graphics and sound are alright. The amount of BOREDOM is really REALLY impressive. Like I said I'm scoring this according to my expectations, and that may be wrong but it feels right for me. And the most disappointing game of all time deserves a -10 if I could. I'm glad I got this using my Shoppers points because spending actual cash on this would have been a tradegy. Expand
  88. Jun 25, 2013
    I hated skyward sword. The whole thing felt like it was made for a toddler. I felt like the producers focused so much on the new controls that the let the storyline, soundtrack, and graphics slip by. The characters felt really awkward. Fi drove me over the wall she had to pop up to let me know that the annoying beeping noise is my life is almost gone not to mention that she was giving meI hated skyward sword. The whole thing felt like it was made for a toddler. I felt like the producers focused so much on the new controls that the let the storyline, soundtrack, and graphics slip by. The characters felt really awkward. Fi drove me over the wall she had to pop up to let me know that the annoying beeping noise is my life is almost gone not to mention that she was giving me statistics for the most obvious facts. Girihim was a freak. I was not impressed at all. Expand
  89. Feb 2, 2012
    I game is well enough, I am fan of Zelda, but there is some bugs.
  90. Jan 24, 2013
    This games motion controls were so bad I didn't even want to play to the first dungeon. I didn't like the art style, but it was better than Wind Wakers. The controls killed it.
  91. Dec 13, 2011
    My favorite Zelda since Link to the Past. Possibly even better because it is challenging but not frustrating. Motion Plus adds to the gameplay, and rewards thoughtful swordplay over random bashing; For instance, to kill a 3-headed snake you have to hit all the heads at once, requiring timing and angle.
  92. Dec 18, 2011
    Zelda: Skyward Sword is the first game I've really played in long time since I've been a fan of the series since I was a kid. However, it does not really live up to the innovations of previous Zelda games. Rather there are some new aspects here and there, but it really just copies off of the formula of past Zelda game, along with using all the same ingredients that were once innovationsZelda: Skyward Sword is the first game I've really played in long time since I've been a fan of the series since I was a kid. However, it does not really live up to the innovations of previous Zelda games. Rather there are some new aspects here and there, but it really just copies off of the formula of past Zelda game, along with using all the same ingredients that were once innovations of the previous Zelda games.

Flaws of Zelda: Skyward Sword
    â
  93. Dec 13, 2011
    I had my doubts about this game, seeing as how disappointing the last few Zeldas were (especially Spirit Tracks). But this game... wow... simply amazing. The visuals look great but the Wii's hardware limitations are all too apparent here. This game would have looked so much nicer on an actual HD console. The music is aural bliss and probably some of the best in the series. The story isI had my doubts about this game, seeing as how disappointing the last few Zeldas were (especially Spirit Tracks). But this game... wow... simply amazing. The visuals look great but the Wii's hardware limitations are all too apparent here. This game would have looked so much nicer on an actual HD console. The music is aural bliss and probably some of the best in the series. The story is very good and the dungeons/puzzles are some of the best in the series. Motion+ controls work well for combat and really add a new layer to battles, but for everything else, Motion+ is only put to novel use and bares a number of nuisances (constantly needing to re-center, inability to differentiate movement speeds, inaccurate movement detection). Also, the game treats the player as inept. The first few hours of hand-holding become unbearable and the constantly repeating and unskippable text will test you nerves. There are a number of problems with this game, which do add up to a significant amount, but even with that said I truly enjoyed the game and am rejuvenated on the series. Not only is this one of the best Zeldas ever, but it's also one of the best games of this generation. Expand
  94. Aug 4, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant. Played the Oot all the way through and this other entry in the zelda series plays great. The dialouge between characters is hilarious, the gameplay is smooth, solid and extremely enjoyable. Well worth a play
  95. Jan 7, 2012
    Very well done videogame. The story alone makes it amazing! Once you learn how to play this game (it does have a learning curve) you will have so much fun! I am also happy that I actually got Game Over a few times because other Zelda games have been very easy in comparison. All in all: great story, great characters, great game!
  96. Dec 12, 2011
    The Wii has had some very good games in its lifespan- Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Goldeneye 007- heck, even The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. But none surpass Skyward Sword, the game which truly capitalises upon the hardware, using motion controls to play a work of art.

PRESENTATION: Skyward Sword looks and sounds a treat- the impressionistic art style lends itself to the wacky, off-beat characters present here-in and the blur effect- while in use because of the Wii's lack of grunt- creates a beautiful painting in the background. The graphics also aid in the gameplay, accentuating what the player has to do with their new found mastery of the blade. The game also sounds delightful, the orchestrated soundtrack delivering many memorable tunes. The story is the best that the Zelda saga has to offer- deep characters with moving tales told through well-designed cinematic cutscenes. While the lack of voice-acting is a pain, I can understand why it was done- these characters probably wouldn't be quite so fun to talk to if they were being acted out. GAMEPLAY:
    Skyward Sword revolutionises the Zelda formula. It takes what was once only in the dungeons of its world and spreads them out across Hyrule, leaving you with a constant challenge, wherever you go. Skyloft is something of a hub from which you travel to the lands below. There you complete very original challenges and battle foes in an all-new way. In addition, the dungeons themselves are better designed- instead of having dozens of smaller rooms, the puzzles are built across huge halls! Now, the combat. Using super-accurate Motion Plus controls, battles themselves are puzzles which you have to defeat by swinging well. The first boss just goes to show how accurate they are, destroying you if you flail randomly! With 40 or so hours in the main plot, another 10-15 in bonus content like side-quests and then a harder version of the main plot, you are getting a lot of bang for your buck- 80-100 hours? This game is a must-own: the puzzles are brilliant, the monsters amazing, the graphics stunning and the soundtrack awe-inspiring. This has cast off the shadow of Ocarina Of Time is a game that all should play. 10/10
  97. Dec 12, 2011
    This was a great game that I had fun playing through. The motion controls are great to a point, but I found sometimes i would be doing the "right" thing to proceed on a puzzle but not be emphasizing the right movement with the motion controls. I would end up checking online and be like I have been doing that all along. I can overlook those 10 minutes of frustration here and there.This was a great game that I had fun playing through. The motion controls are great to a point, but I found sometimes i would be doing the "right" thing to proceed on a puzzle but not be emphasizing the right movement with the motion controls. I would end up checking online and be like I have been doing that all along. I can overlook those 10 minutes of frustration here and there. Another major flaw in the game is whenever you pick up an item for the first time each session it will go to a big cut scene and be like "oh hoorah you already have 10 of these but you got one for the first time again." The open sky area isn't as cool as Hyrule Field as you can do less exploring, at least put some mini dungeons on those islands or something. Aside from these gripes the dungeons were amazing, boss fights great, and a great story line. The issues i mentioned were the only thing keeping this from a 10. For a title like Zelda it is unacceptable to have these issues. Expand
  98. Dec 14, 2011
    I don't know what some people expect Zelda to "innovate", voices?? some of the best movies of al time don't have any spoken line on them. Character creation, mature looks??? That's not innovation and there are already excellent games that incorporate those elements. Zelda has always been about the dungeons, puzzles and that unmistakable sense of adventure that is present until the lastI don't know what some people expect Zelda to "innovate", voices?? some of the best movies of al time don't have any spoken line on them. Character creation, mature looks??? That's not innovation and there are already excellent games that incorporate those elements. Zelda has always been about the dungeons, puzzles and that unmistakable sense of adventure that is present until the last minute of this game.
    One can only give praise to this fantastic game. Among the very best of this generation and I'd recommend it to anyone who appreciates videogames for much more than online multiplayer, blood, weapons, sex and HD graphics.
  99. Jan 29, 2012
    This game is a masterpiece. I really can't say one bad thing about this game. This game presents itself in a stunning way, with an easily accessible menu, the upgrade system, the graphics, sound, EVERYTHING. The game has a strong appeal, making you eager to continue the game. What I mean by this is the game is always switching things up. Another thing that astounded me was the graphics. IThis game is a masterpiece. I really can't say one bad thing about this game. This game presents itself in a stunning way, with an easily accessible menu, the upgrade system, the graphics, sound, EVERYTHING. The game has a strong appeal, making you eager to continue the game. What I mean by this is the game is always switching things up. Another thing that astounded me was the graphics. I wasn't really proud of the graphics at first, but trust me, as you progress through the game, you'll fall in love. It's a bit of a mix of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and it proves that games don't need to be HD, 1080p to look good. The Wii Motion Plus works excellent as well. I'm not a big fan of motion controls, which leads to my only complaint (you have to calibrate the controller once in a while), but after playing this game, I don't know if I want the new Zelda to drop motion controls.
    About the graphics, the art style really works well. It fits the mood of the game, and to be honest, it's something that makes me want to replay the game. The gameplay is also great. The combat is much improved, so now you have to swing in different directions, actually have to use your shield in some cases, potions, etc. This game is quite challenging sometimes (compared to the other Zelda games). The upgrade system is pretty cool, although isn't a huge deal. You can upgrade almost any item (for instance, the beetle, you can upgrade it so it has a speed boost) or you can upgrade potions to make them stronger, or have more uses. The exploration is also fun, as throughout the game, you will find Goddess Cubes which you hit with a skyward strike, which unlocks a treasure chest in the sky. There are some sidequests, some of which are not all that fun, while others are a blast. This game lasted me about 52 hours (including all side quests, goddess cubes, etc.). There is even a boss battle mode and a Hero Mode (similar to the master quest in OoT) when you complete the game. As I said in the beginning, this game is a masterpiece. Character development is excellent, story is amazing, and all the other little things that add up with the game. I never thought that Majora's Mask would be placed 2nd out of all my favorite games, but this game definitely deserves the crown. I know this review might seem a little bias, but I honestly can't say anything bad about the game (except having to recalibrate your controller sometimes).

1. Feb 6, 2012
    Overall, this is the best experience I've had playing a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time and I'd have to say they are pretty equal in my opinion. Either way, you won't be disappointed getting this game, it's a masterpiece.
    New Zelda is the best game of whole series since the groundbreaking Ocarina of Time. It is a true masterpiece with uncompromising playability. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 19, 2012
    A magnificent homage for the 25th anniversary of one the biggest franchises in gaming, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword provides a compelling gaming and artistic showcase for the indefatigable potential of the medium as a whole, and a reason to have gaming as a hobby.