The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Wii

8.1

1. Dec 22, 2011
    Best Zelda game and best Wii game I've ever played. I beat the game with 100% completion and I was clocked in at 65 hours of gameplay. Huge game for the Wii. Nintendo did an amazing job with this one and it's worth buying a Wii just for this game! If you are even kind of a Zelda fan, BUY IT!
  2. Dec 1, 2011
    This is the Best The Legend of Zelda game ever made... The Story, the mechanics, the gameplay, the characters, the music, everything is a WIN in this game. this was the best way that Nintendo could celebrate the 25 th Anniversary of the franchise (an epic game) This game is fresh air (and a masterpiece) in the middle of all those generic HD "ready" games of this 7th generation. MetacriticThis is the Best The Legend of Zelda game ever made... The Story, the mechanics, the gameplay, the characters, the music, everything is a WIN in this game. this was the best way that Nintendo could celebrate the 25 th Anniversary of the franchise (an epic game) This game is fresh air (and a masterpiece) in the middle of all those generic HD "ready" games of this 7th generation. Metacritic really should do something with all those ignorant haters who put a 0/10 in this and another games, because that is just ridiculous. This game is no way less than 9/10.

For me, this game deserves a 10/10
  3. Dec 1, 2011
    Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is hands down the greatest game I have ever played. Dungeons are amazing, puzzle are great, story is engaging, and combat works perfectly. One word about combat, once combat finally clicks, for a time the enemies start to feel a little easy. However, just when combat loses its charm, the game provides us with some of the best puzzles I have ever seen. IfLegend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is hands down the greatest game I have ever played. Dungeons are amazing, puzzle are great, story is engaging, and combat works perfectly. One word about combat, once combat finally clicks, for a time the enemies start to feel a little easy. However, just when combat loses its charm, the game provides us with some of the best puzzles I have ever seen. If you have a wii, get this game. If you don't have a wii, get a wii, then get this game. Expand
  4. Dec 3, 2011
    This game is beautiful. The art style is just wonderful and stands ground against these "HD REALISTIC" games such as Skyrim or Modern Warfare 3. The storyline was the best in the series.
    'Two childhood friends, who may secretly be caring for each other more than that, are separated and one will do anything it takes to get the other one back." Amazing.
  5. Dec 4, 2011
    The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword is potentially the most anticipated release of 2011 for any system maybe challenged only by The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim. With so much hype and pressure surrounding this "swansong" for the aging Nintendo Wii did this game soar or dive? Other than Super Mario the Legend of Zelda games have continually shown their influence throughout the gaming industry withThe Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword is potentially the most anticipated release of 2011 for any system maybe challenged only by The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim. With so much hype and pressure surrounding this "swansong" for the aging Nintendo Wii did this game soar or dive? Other than Super Mario the Legend of Zelda games have continually shown their influence throughout the gaming industry with game mechanics, story developement, and art design. However, some have felt that the Zelda formula that has been used in Zelda games over the past several years has gotten a bit stale, and needed to evolve in order for the series to continue to stay on top of the gaming industry.So, the real question is whether or not Nintendo has changed enough to keep things fresh, and whether Skyward Sword solidify's it's place amongst the top games of all time. The short answer is simple: YES!

Gameplay: 10/10 When the Wii was released we were promised true motion gaming with 1:1 controls for fluid gaming. Unfortunately, Nintendo was not able to deliver on this promise up front, and rectified this mistake by developing the motion plus to enhance motion gameplay. While Ubisoft was the first to truly test Motion Plus gameplay with Red Steel 2, which ended up being fantastic, Nintendo has now given the Wii the game it always deserved to showcase it's motion control capabilities. Skyward Sword's 1:1 sword combat is outstand. It uses a combination of motion plus and IR in order to keep things in check, and offers depth to the fighting mechanics that could have easily become redundant/repetitive. However, I found myself taking a look at the enemy I was approaching thinking about just how I was going to dismantle them. The added ability for Link to be able to sprint is also a major addition to the formula, which doesn't necessarily seem huge, but allows for some significant gameplay changes. With the new quickswap menu for items/tools makes gameplay cohesive, and makes you wonder how you play Zelda without it. If you don't find the gameplay delightful then you might be missing something.

Story: 10/10 Potentially one of the best stories of any Zelda title. Without giving to many details away, this is an origins story for the Zelda series. It doesn't find Link and Zelda in their typical predicaments, which is a breath of fresh air for the series. You will also find yourself caring about other characters throughout, with the desire to try and talk with every villager in the game. Skyward Sword completely captivates, and you may not want to stop playing until to unveil it all.

Graphics: 10/10 The Wii released to prove one thing, and that was to convince developers and gamers alike that what makes a game soar is gameplay not graphics. I think for the most part they've succeded in that endeavor, but Skyward Sword is absolutely gorgeous to look at! It uses a mixture of realistic graphics found in Twilight Princess, and more cel shaded graphics of Wind Waker. The final product is like playing a painting. It really is a work of art, and quite honestly one that only Nintendo could pull off.

Longevity: 10/10 With the main quest promising at least 40 hours of gameplay, and completing everything the game offers will put you potentially around the 100 hours mark. This game will keep you playing for quite some time. In fact it might even have you wanting to play through one more time just to see all of the beautiful locations Skyward Sword has to offer.

Verdict: 10/10 Skyward Sword is a constant reminder why Nintendo is #1. The way they create worlds, characters, and stories is really unique in the gaming industry. No one quite does it the way Nintendo does it, and with games like the Mario Galaxies and now Skyward Sword it just proves this even more. If you're finishing this review then do yourself a huge favor. Either scroll up and purchase Skyward Sword, or run out to your local video game retailed and get it. People of all ages need to experience the greatest Zelda of all time, and quite possibly the greatest game of all time. There is one thing for certain. The negative reviews written for this game are completely unfounded. I've been playing for nearly 20 hours now, and I have had not one issue or control mishap with the motion controls. The negative media surrounding the Wii Motion controls hasn't been completely unfounded, but to wrap this game in to that nonsense is pure nonsense. This game further proves that only Nintendo can create some of the most unforgettable gaming experiences, and Skyward Sword might be the best of the best!
  6. Dec 5, 2011
    Note: I have not yet finished the game. The Legend of Zelda Sword is a remarkable experience. While the graphics are mediocre from a technical stand point, the art style is beautiful, and the scope of the game is breathtaking. The audio is good as well, with some great orchestral music and crisp sound effects. Where Skyward Sword excels is the gameplay, the dungeons are some of the best inNote: I have not yet finished the game. The Legend of Zelda Sword is a remarkable experience. While the graphics are mediocre from a technical stand point, the art style is beautiful, and the scope of the game is breathtaking. The audio is good as well, with some great orchestral music and crisp sound effects. Where Skyward Sword excels is the gameplay, the dungeons are some of the best in the series. The game also breaks old Zelda conventions whilst adding new ones in the process. If there was anything I didn't like about the game that would be the lack of voice acting, and the (OCCASIONALLY) problematic camera. Expand
  7. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is perfect! Amazing history, great graphics except for the Wii's low resolution, nice gameplay. If you are a Zelda fan this is a must have.
  8. Dec 6, 2011
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword isnt just the best game on Wii, but is easily the best Zelda game and one of the greatest games ever made. The start puts you in the floating Island above the clouds Skyloft, and later is revealed how it became like that. Progressing through the 30 to 40 hour story makes this one of if not the best Zelda story in history. The first act is adorable withThe Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword isnt just the best game on Wii, but is easily the best Zelda game and one of the greatest games ever made. The start puts you in the floating Island above the clouds Skyloft, and later is revealed how it became like that. Progressing through the 30 to 40 hour story makes this one of if not the best Zelda story in history. The first act is adorable with showing off Link and Zelda's relationship and the second is amazing with plenty of twists and turns around every corner, it's very engaging. Characters are absolutely amazing, from a new and charming Zelda and the creepy villain Girahim there's never a dull moment with each character you meet. The controls in Skyward Sword were probably my biggest worry when it was revealed to be MotionPlus control, however, those worries can be put to rest, after a little learning curve the controls felt natural and easy to use and can be very enjoyable. When aiming with some weapons though it sometimes loses focus and goes off on it's own sometimes, theirs a button that lets you center the wii remotes aiming, and after a couple hours it too felt natural. The few things people have been worried about is zeldas formula, its usually a dungeon then going through some sort of event to get to the next dungeon, Skyward Sword shows a new direction in that formula, the sky is your main hub, your loftwing is your animal companion this time around and can fly you all across the sky meeting new characters and areas, there's not much to do but what's there is very unique. The land below is where the dungeons are located and here is where you pick up bugs, treasure and other goodies such as weapon's, treasure can be used for upgrades and bugs for money, the map however is a bit linear there isn't a big hub like hyrule field, but what's there still holds a lot incentive to explore. Graphics, they aren't HD but the art style, level design, and overall look and feel make it the best graphics on the Wii and even better art style then other HD counter parts. TheLegend of Zelda: Skyward Sword isn't just the best Zelda and Wii game ever, but is one of if not the best games ive ever played, it will surely amaze you in terms of story and gamplay and show amazing set pieces that can only be described as Incredible 10/10 Expand
  9. Dec 24, 2011
    Best Zelda game so far! I wish there were more areas to explore, like in Wind Waker, but as far as the story goes, it's super. I love the hints that direct towards Ocarina of Time. I hope they're all related.
  10. Dec 25, 2011
    I must say, I don't think I have ever played a game this complete and this in sync with a game system. Skyward Sword delivered the greatest Zelda experience to date. The story is great and the game play is remarkable. This is the game the Nintendo Wii was designed for. This is an experience that will live forever in a gamer's heart.
  11. Feb 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is without a doubt the best game i played in 2011, it is just as good as Ocarina Of Time. The characters, the story, and THE MUSIC. *brain explodes into candy* AWESOME! but the hubworld kinda feels empty and i sometimes have problems with the controls, but those are just minor nitpicks which i can easily resolve with. I had a choice between Batman Arkham city, Sonic generations, and this to pick at gamestop. Even though i was kinda regretful at first, I made the right choice. If Link and Zelda would've kissed, then i would give it an 11/10, but that's not the case, but i will give this game an A+. Expand
  12. Apr 19, 2012
    I want to establish something before I write this review: When I purchased Skyward Sword, I was tremendously excited to play it. Zelda is a big deal to me. I'm 20 years old, so I was the perfect age to discover Ocarina of Time when I did. It seeded itself into my heart as one of the most magical experiences from my childhood, and therefor my life so far. I've heeded the call to save ZeldaI want to establish something before I write this review: When I purchased Skyward Sword, I was tremendously excited to play it. Zelda is a big deal to me. I'm 20 years old, so I was the perfect age to discover Ocarina of Time when I did. It seeded itself into my heart as one of the most magical experiences from my childhood, and therefor my life so far. I've heeded the call to save Zelda and Hyrule many times over now. I've traveled to other lands and even other dimensions, and just when I think I've seen it all, each games offers an array of new experiences and topics. Every game in the series thus far has given me memories that I'll always have, even now (I only recently beat Wind Waker and A Link to the Past). The point that I want to make is that I had never been disappointed in a Zelda game, and never imagined I ever would be, until Skyward Sword.
    Whatever excitement I had tearing into the foil around the case and putting the disc into the Wii was rather quickly diminished after maybe an hour of playing this game. After Twilight Princess, I had come to expect long tutorials in Zelda, but come on.. And when you finally arrive in the untamed world of Hyrule, it resembles a playground. There are only three areas on the map for you to explore, and theyre all quite small. It's very simple: there's a forest area, a volcano area, and a desert area, and they're not that attractive visually. You will be visiting the same three maps many, many times. Yes, these maps expand later, but its not enough, and 2 out of 3 times, those additions are too similar to the original map for my taste. They just feel like simple levels in the game, rather than areas to explore, without anyone to really interact with on the scale seen in nearly every Zelda game before. That brings me to the characters. I don't like them, no one stands in a way I'll remember, aside from the core characters in the story, and there aren't too many. I did however feel myself really involved in Groose's story, but ultimately failed to impress me. Fi has her moments, but you can count them on one hand. The story itself is okay, but "safe". I wish Nintendo would have tried new things this time around, given the production time of this game. It just doesnt stand out over any Zelda game I've played before, at all. I do remember going back and forth fetching items many times though. While it does have plenty of moments, it could have been much more. And for fans who care, there are maybe 2 memorable songs in this game. That's saying a lot for a Zelda title. What I feel happened is Nintendo sacrificed much of their grasp on what makes their franchise magical because of the focus on the Wii Motion Plus, which is sad, because it doesn't work that well. Before Skyward Sword was released, I trusted Nintendo that they would never implement a control scheme into a Zelda game if it did not work, and I was excited to see the Motion Plus in action, but it immediately failed to deliver. He never held the sword like I was holding it. I struggled with swinging my sword exactly the way I needed to for hours. Hours of clumsy buggy controls. What's sad is that you can feel the potential, had the Wii Motion Plus delivered. Most of the items are great ideas, but like the swordplay, they come up short because of how buggy the controls are overall. Most frustratingly, the "Skyward Strike", which consists of you charging your sword by holding the Wiimote over your head and then swinging it downwards, is a pretty important part of the final boss battle, and in the heat of the moment, it failed 4 out of 5 times. I died 13 times before I beat him.
    One thing I really did like: the dungeons. You will remember these dungeons, they are terrifically difficult, and all of the items in your inventory to good use during your time in each one. They feel fantastic, look fantastic, and you'll feel all the more brilliant every time you conquer one. Too bad most of the bosses disappoint, save a couple (Dungeon 5's boss is a brilliant battle). I'm giving this game a 7 out of 10, and I wrote this review with the intention of justifying a 6 out of 10 score, but there are redeeming points in this game. It's still a lengthy adventure, full of puzzles and things to be discovered, but there are so many disappointments, which is rare for this series. This was my least favorite title in that series, so I think it speaks for the entire series that I'm giving it a decent 7. Try not to buy it, but any Zelda fan should play it, but don't expect anything more memorable than anything released in this franchise's impressive 25-year run.
  13. Aug 26, 2012
    I've played through Majoras Mask and Ocarina of Time, and this is not even close. The first problems being the intro, in the N64 titles the intros are short, sharp and interesting...In Skyward Sword the intro drags along. I think that the introduction (first 2-5 hours) is most important because that can make the difference between someone playing and quitting the game and i dont think thatI've played through Majoras Mask and Ocarina of Time, and this is not even close. The first problems being the intro, in the N64 titles the intros are short, sharp and interesting...In Skyward Sword the intro drags along. I think that the introduction (first 2-5 hours) is most important because that can make the difference between someone playing and quitting the game and i dont think that the first hours of gameplay are fun at all. The story in Skyward Sword does also not live up to usual standards. But what were looking at is gameplay. On so the combat is rather fun and maybe even a bit more involving than that of Oot and MM. Saying this, the boss battles are quite tedious and the controls for blocking and rolling are inconvenient. The games items are also pretty interesting. I mean, the claws and the beetle thing are both pretty cool items but on the other hand i find it really repetitive to use the dowsing thing over and over again. One thing they have perfected time and time again in the Zelda series is the soundtrack, and im happy to say at least they got something right with this game. The dungeons are also quite well thought out as usual but lack variation, i mean for example the first dungeon. Confuse the eyeball, shoot the bug, open a door...Rinse and repeat. But in saying all this, i know ive sounded a little harsh on a game from a series that i love. But the wait was very long and it was very disappointing compared to the others. In saying this it is not a bad game, it is just i know they can do better because they have done much much better before. Expand
  14. Sep 2, 2012
    I bought a Wii and this game over the summer because of everything I've heard, and I am a HUGE Zelda fan. Zelda link to the past and Zelda 64 were two masterpieces, and every Zelda after should walk in their shoes. I will admit that this game was innovative in certain ways and fun, but for some reason it just felt a little too different. Some of the items were pretty silly, like the blowI bought a Wii and this game over the summer because of everything I've heard, and I am a HUGE Zelda fan. Zelda link to the past and Zelda 64 were two masterpieces, and every Zelda after should walk in their shoes. I will admit that this game was innovative in certain ways and fun, but for some reason it just felt a little too different. Some of the items were pretty silly, like the blow dryer and I thought the flying beetle was a neat idea just not for Zelda. Also, what happened to the music in this game? The music at certain places, especially in the desert was kind of ugly. I would love to see a Zelda game use SOME previous music in a remastered form such as the dungeon music from aLtTP, memories would flourish. I also have to somewhat agree that the controls are a little sloppy and annoying at times, and for some reason I don't really like flailing my arms around to play a Zelda game. Graphically I was a little disappointed too because I prefer a more mature type of artwork compared to a sort-of childish look. I have to say too that even though some of the areas were pretty large, it felt a little too linear and I wish they didn't include all these check and save points that make it feel less like Zelda. The flying around on the bird was a good idea but sometimes it gets a little annoying as well. If you are a die hard Zelda fan though and you own a Wii already, this game is worth at least checking out because passed all the flaws there is still a good game. I totally agree with IGN giving Zelda 64 a 10 out of 10 but not for this game, a 10 is overrated IMO. Expand
  15. Mar 1, 2017
    This is a Zelda game with some of the series most fantastic dungeons / puzzles / designs. But sadly its all wrapped around this horrible idea of motion controls. The most difficult part of the game is struggling with getting the motion controls to do what you want, when you need it to. Some of the bosses require specific hand waving motions, and even with the official Wii+ remotes,This is a Zelda game with some of the series most fantastic dungeons / puzzles / designs. But sadly its all wrapped around this horrible idea of motion controls. The most difficult part of the game is struggling with getting the motion controls to do what you want, when you need it to. Some of the bosses require specific hand waving motions, and even with the official Wii+ remotes, sometimes it just doesn't work. It feels like your fighting the motion controls more than the monsters that inhabit this new Legend of Zelda world.

They even put an option in the items menu for re-calibrating the controls since it messes up so often. I had to do this a few times to get to grips with the controls, and it totally takes me out of the experience, since it a strange stoppage to put down your controller, and wait 30 seconds for it to not be stupid.

Visually its one of the best looking Wii era games. Distant backdrop are mosaic-ed in the beautiful colorful scheme throughout the whole game. Characters and creatures are distinctive and make the world feel very much so alive.

I finally just beat the game in preparation for BOTW. (since it was my only Zelda game i never finished) And the story, dungeons, and overall look of the game screams classic Zelda game, but having to play it was a pain, because the motion controls completely ruined the video gaming experience.
  16. Dec 7, 2011
    Okay, so it's not the best Zelda game. But with it's Motion Controls and restructured Zelda formula, it's worth a try for any gamer at all. It may lack in areas that shined in past Zelda games, but the game has obviously taken big steps for the series.
  17. Nov 25, 2011
    A lot of skyward sword is either love or hate. I love the new graphics style as well as the new gameplay elements, however I can easily see why someone would not. The stamina bar for example, could either be seen as something that adds to movement strategy or simply another useless meter to worry about. The graphics could either be viewed as laziness or nintendo's way of creatively usingA lot of skyward sword is either love or hate. I love the new graphics style as well as the new gameplay elements, however I can easily see why someone would not. The stamina bar for example, could either be seen as something that adds to movement strategy or simply another useless meter to worry about. The graphics could either be viewed as laziness or nintendo's way of creatively using the limited power of the aging wii. Speaking of graphics, they are probably (as was with wind waker) the most criticized element of the game. However, I think they're beautiful. Just look into the sky in Faron Woods, or take a stroll through sky loft at night, the impressionist influence really pops. If the graphics style was too realistic, the whole game would lose its whimsical and colorful atmosphere, which could potentially break the game. Combat is excellent, swordplay is now longer just mashing b. Almost all the enemies (save the generic keese/chus) require a special element to defeat them. To provide an example of the depth motion plus gives to combat, remembering OoT when the skullutas just turned around for you? Now you have to horizontally slice them to get them to spin, and then thrust to hit the center. If you thrust first, they just knock into you. All in all, the best time I've had on my WIi in a long time. Expand
  18. Apr 20, 2012
    Zelda: Skyward Sword is a good game that finds itself in the unfortunate position of being compared to previous Zelda titles. While in many ways it does improve upon the old ones and utilizes the Wii motion controller to its fullest by making intuitive and challenging combat as well as new, if not occasionally bewildering puzzles, the open-world gameplay and sidequests have been at bestZelda: Skyward Sword is a good game that finds itself in the unfortunate position of being compared to previous Zelda titles. While in many ways it does improve upon the old ones and utilizes the Wii motion controller to its fullest by making intuitive and challenging combat as well as new, if not occasionally bewildering puzzles, the open-world gameplay and sidequests have been at best streamlined and at worst ruined. Before I continue I'd like to stress the fact that this is a good, though I would not say "great" game however due to the shower of praise it has received in the media I'd like to focus on the drawbacks so many "professional game reviews" forgot to mention before I paid $45 USD for a used copy (Closer to $100 if you include the cost of a Wii Motion Plus controller).

First and foremost are the controls. Yes, after 3.5 years into the console's life Nintendo finally releases an add-on to improve the hardware. While I can't deny some improvements have been made in terms of position detection of the Wii-mote, it's far from perfect and the point-and-click ability has suffered a far worse setback than anything has improved, so much so there's an in-game function to recenter its calibration. Furthermore the new bomb-flower rolling mechanic is more of an endurance test as most the time the game can't tell if you're trying to roll it or return to the useless "in-between" stance in which Link simply awaits for the bomb to explode in his hands. Even the simplest of puzzles involving this can take 3 hearts easily.

Next up is the exposition. Yes I know Zelda games have a traditionally slow opening but in all Zelda games I can immediately recall saving is something you can do anytime and pick it up later. Worse that it's been almost 15 years since Ocarina of Time yet there is still no skippable cutscenes, including the schizophrenic treasure dialogues. It doesn't matter if you have 6 Eldin Ore. The 7th one may stop to tell you what you just grabbed and what it's for (vaguely) but then again sometimes you'll get 5 more it will just let you on your merry little way. The biggest offender is the story itself though. Even after you've descended to the surface and solved a few puzzles an old lady stops you and tells you basically nothing you haven't already heard. "The Goddess has chosen you. You're to save Zelda". Had the way out just been unlocked she could've been missing and the only question would've been "why make such a large room just to hide a few items?"

Linearity. OK in a way almost all Zelda games are fairly linear. You need to go to certain temples in a certain order and obtain certain items to solve certain puzzles (although I accidentally went to one temple out of order in Phantom Hourglass) but they still felt like an adventure, largely due to the open world and having the freedom to find side-quests. While some interesting features are there to be found, the hidden "dungeons" that make extrapolating their contents such a challenge are from what I can tell nowhere to be found. Regenerating enemies make sure you don't explore too much on the surface either and seem to be the only indication as where you're supposed to be. It's very easy to not know where you're supposed to be and spend a long time exploring a vast, enemy-infested but otherwise uninteresting map. It feels more like being on an airport's moving sidewalk than on an adventure. Had half the explanation for the story (which largely consists of telling you whom you're looking for every time you find a key to a dungeon or boss room) gone into pointing you in the right direction then I'd probably be able to lose two criticisms and sadly, no, I'm not nit-picking. The exposition really is that forced, there really is a "right direction" in a Zelda game and the puzzles really are this perplexing.

At the end of the day I'd be recommending this to everybody and my brother if, for nothing else, to demonstrate the Wii has potential despite its limitations had it simply been known as "Skyward Sword" in the unlikely event I would give a title a second glance. Fortunately, at least for Nintendo profits, it is known as "Zelda: Skyward Sword" but with that free ride comes a higher standard, including that of an expansive and immersive world and while many of my criticisms can be applied to previous titles of the franchise I do feel that as a Nintendo fan I am entitled to expect some improvement over time, even if that means taking a chapter from previous installments or at the least the "zip-through-speech" button that made the N64 Paper Mario one of my favorite and most replayable RPGs in video-game history.
  19. Nov 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm one of many people that grew up play the Zelda series and I'm probably one of the few that doesn't own any nintendo products besides the gamecube. After watching the gameplay videos, walkt-hroughs, and features I have to say this: GET IT. I planned on getting the Wii just to play Skyward Sword because of the textures, the presentation looks magnificent. I love how they combine the cartoon look from Windwaker and the detail from Twilight Princess. Now if your like me who owns a 360 or a PS3 but grew up with Zelda. then it'll be hard having to adjust to the Wii Motion controls at first try. The story is intriguing, because not only is it a prequel to Ocarina of Time but this also sets up how Hyrule came to be, and the origins of our favorite couple Link and Zelda.

Overall this game is really worth the money to both Casual and hardcore Zelda fans all over the world. Like I mention above if you grew up with the Zelda series during your childhood but own a 360 or a PS3 instead of the Wii I highly recommend getting one just to play Skyward Sword. I'll admit I own a PS3 and play shooters like BF3, MW3, and other PS3 exclusive games but that doesn't change my love for the Zelda series. I have no doubt in my heart that the moment I get the Wii and this magnificent game, I won't be disappointed even though I've only had a few minutes playing this at my local gamestop.
  20. Nov 29, 2011
    it looks like the critics are even trying to sabotage this game, this game is everything i wanted and more well done Nintendo! the graphics are 10 for artistic merit, motion controls 10 for evolving the Zelda franchise, story is the most dramatic so far in the series, sorry but this is getting a 10.
  21. Nov 28, 2011
    Here we are at the end of 2011 going into 2012 and have been lucky enough to see some of the greatest games released (at one time), in the history of gaming. I'm 28 and have been playing video games since I was 5. I've played countless games and have experienced moments, where a game is so good, that it sticks with me for the rest of my life. The Legend Of Zelda Skyward Sword is one ofHere we are at the end of 2011 going into 2012 and have been lucky enough to see some of the greatest games released (at one time), in the history of gaming. I'm 28 and have been playing video games since I was 5. I've played countless games and have experienced moments, where a game is so good, that it sticks with me for the rest of my life. The Legend Of Zelda Skyward Sword is one of those titles. Skyward Sword improves on every aspect of the Zelda series. It raised the bar so high, that future titles (of the series), are going to have one hell of a time flying past the skies and into the stars...

STORY-It's no secret that Skyward Sword is the prequel to OOT, in fact, Nintendo announced that Skyward Sword takes place as the first Zelda title ever. Skyward Sword is a cinematic experience that tells the brilliant story about how the series first started. Without going into detail (for the sake of people who have yet to play it), Skyward Sword dramatically changes the way The Legend Of Zelda's story was ever told. Traditionally, Zelda's story has always been about Link saving Princess Zelda from the Evil clutches of Gannon, have a happy ending, and do it all again in 3 to 5 years; this is not the case for Skyward Sword. Skyward Swords story improves in so many ways and with it's great art design, manages to deliver a memorable cast of characters. For those of you hoping for more control of the story, your not going to find it here. Regardless, Nintendo does an excellent job perfectly pacing the story, without ever feeling like your hand is being held the whole way through. Your objectives are quite clear, yet your always asking yourself "how do I get to the next area"? I never felt as if any part of the story was added for the sake of making the game longer. CONTROLS-Skyward Sword defines what a true game experience really is, by using some of the most sophisticated motion controls ever designed for a video game. Forget what you knew about Zelda's button mashing combat, this is a whole new way to control Link; where as before battling enemies was strictly a button mashing obstacle to proceed, now turns into a fight that requires skill and accuracy to reach the next foe. Not only has Nintendo somehow managed to make every enemy and boss battle exciting, they succeeded in implementing motion controls into every aspect of the game, without hurting the experience and making it more tasteful, and appealing, to every type of gamer. The motion controls are a new and welcomed edition to the Zelda franchise; in fact, the thought of exploring the land of Hyrule without motion controls (after using it), would be a step backwards for the series.

GRAPHICS-Nintendo has managed to create a colorful, vivid, land, and some how combine the mature aspect of Twilight Princes together, without making it feel like Skyward Swords art direction was catered for children or adults. Granted most of the Wii's power is used for the Wii Motion Plus, Nintendo still managed to push the limits of the Wii like no other company has ever done before. There were a few times when I found myself wishing Skyward Sword would output in 1080p, but then again who doesn't??? I appreciate the effort that Nintendo made on Skyward Swords graphics, it runs so smooth (compared to current gen titles), I was able to look past the graphical limitations and enjoy the magnificent lands created. SOUND- Zelda + Orchestra = EPIC! Not once did I feel that the music in Skyward Sword never matched. Whether I was opening a treasure chest, or flying through the beautiful sky, Skyward Sword managed to suck me into its world with its tunes. Sound-effects are better than ever and improves on what previous versions offered. Skyward Sword is a cinematic experience. There is over an hour and a half of cut scenes and itâ
  22. Nov 30, 2011
    Amazing game:) I really enjoyed it. The story, characters, control and even more were great. The graphics were amazing love the art style. It felt like you were really there! Also, the items were awesome, now it makes it better because of the new item system which it's better than using and switching 3 different items once in a while. The music was great, thanks Koji Kondo! The music feltAmazing game:) I really enjoyed it. The story, characters, control and even more were great. The graphics were amazing love the art style. It felt like you were really there! Also, the items were awesome, now it makes it better because of the new item system which it's better than using and switching 3 different items once in a while. The music was great, thanks Koji Kondo! The music felt good to be alive! The game brought and 25 music anniversary cd which is amazing! I was eating my dinner while listening to it and it felt good and relax some of my favorites were in the cd too:) The enemies were challenging to defeat because it was like a puzzle which its great cause I love puzzles in the Zelda games. The dungeons were amazing and you can go back to them which is awesome! I recommend this game if you play video games! Trust me is a game you don't want to miss:) Expand
  23. Dec 5, 2011
    I judge games on an individual level. I liked the game in itself more than Skyrim, I have more fun. Even IGN reviewers said they feel that Skyward Sword surpassed Ocarina of Time with this one, and if I am correct, IGN are usually biased towards Nintendo games, so..... by saying it surpassed TLOZOOT, they are indirectly saying they feel it is the best game of all time since OOT isI judge games on an individual level. I liked the game in itself more than Skyrim, I have more fun. Even IGN reviewers said they feel that Skyward Sword surpassed Ocarina of Time with this one, and if I am correct, IGN are usually biased towards Nintendo games, so..... by saying it surpassed TLOZOOT, they are indirectly saying they feel it is the best game of all time since OOT is considered by majority of gamers as the best of all time period, not ever really questioned.

Skyrim is great, I think they should tie, but if you have to choose, it's Skyward Sword. And you call it garbage, IGN and GameInformer rated Skyward a 10 and IGN and GI rated Skyrim a 9.5 (but Skyward is garbage...). Skyrim has more perfect scores because it was release 9 days earlier and more promotion, and multiple platforms.

I don't like that there are strictly Skyrim players voting that haven't even given Zelda a try, can't wait for Wii U so people can stop talking about Nintendo's graphics, btw Skyward Sword graphics in my honest opinion are better, it's unique rather than trying to be like everyone else with trying so hard to look realistic... Gameplay > Graphics, that's why Nintendo games are considered the best overall, Quality > Quantity.

And you guys keep saying Skyward is short compared to Skyrim like that matters, same with us saying Skyward has no glitches, but really games are meant to have fun, not try to take your life away (which skyward did for me lol).

Vote based purely on gameplay, and the vote would have to go to The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword. Vote based on the game as a whole and the vote would have to go to The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword.

I really hope Skyward Sword wins GOTY.
  24. Dec 7, 2011
    This is the best game of the generation. The art style is timeless, the music is grand and the story is actually emotional and makes you care about the cast, unlike the 90% of western game's stories. But the two things where this masterpiece shines the most is the level design, and the revolutionary 1:1 sword combat mechanics. Playing an action game without motion controls may seem aThis is the best game of the generation. The art style is timeless, the music is grand and the story is actually emotional and makes you care about the cast, unlike the 90% of western game's stories. But the two things where this masterpiece shines the most is the level design, and the revolutionary 1:1 sword combat mechanics. Playing an action game without motion controls may seem a little dull after this. Expand
  25. Apr 24, 2012
    I couldn't stand playing it. I'm sorry for giving it such a bad score, but I couldn't even make it all the way through. I thought to myself "Why play it if it is complete hell to get through?"

Your hand is being held throughout the entire game. Fi drove me bonkers after the first twenty minutes of getting out into the world, giving you completely useless information and percentages, or giving you tips the gave it completely away. If Fi wasn't helping you out, there always seemed to be something else there that gave it away. You couldn't explore, the dialogue was slow, the graphics gave me a headache (Personally, I can't stand that graphic style.) I purchased the wii motion plus just for this game. I was that excited about it. The motion control sucks, may I add that. No matter how much I moved the censor, or switched controllers, or even attempted to perfect my own wrist movement, I always found my sword wouldn't do exactly what I wanted it to without a couple tries. The only thing that was difficult about the game was the combat, but that was only when the enemies were constantly shielding from your attacks. If you managed to get past that, it was a breeze.

I had been told that it got better as it went through, but I honestly just gave up. There was no pleasure coming from it. I know a seven year old who loved it. And I could understand why. The mixture of cutesy graphics and enemies, being carried through objectives, and completely obnoxious npc's (I just wanted to purchase that potion, I didn't want the whole story behind how you created it and what it does), makes it a great children's game.

Truly a disappointment. I couldn't wait for it to arrive at my doorstep, I had waited days, and when it finally came I was thrilled, until I began playing. Honestly though, I think its either a game you're going to love, or you're going to hate.
  26. Nov 28, 2011
    My second favourite zelda game. TP and OOT are joint top. This game has fun gameplay, recalibration is not irritating as people say. The cinematic direction is better than any other zelda game although I prefer TP's art style. The first area and dungeon are boring. Why then do I give this a 10 not a 9? Because although haters gonna hate, Lovers gonna love. Hehehe.
  27. Nov 27, 2011
    While being a Zelda game makes this a fun game it is left far behind than the rest of the series. The storyline is good and all the characters are in line with what you'd expect from a Zelda game. The game however feels like it's centered around promoting motion plus. It's not so much that the controls are awful as I've read in other reviews rather than they are too much. There are noWhile being a Zelda game makes this a fun game it is left far behind than the rest of the series. The storyline is good and all the characters are in line with what you'd expect from a Zelda game. The game however feels like it's centered around promoting motion plus. It's not so much that the controls are awful as I've read in other reviews rather than they are too much. There are no simple actions in Skyward Sword you always have to make these weird movements to achieve it. Furthermore it is the first game of the series where I found many items useless. For example the whip is only good for riddles in some dungeons, useless after that. The beetle is not usable in combat. As for the shield most times you are better off avoiding an attack rather than blocking it with your fragile shield. In many cases you'd even be better off whacking like crazy at the enemy until you accidentally hit. All in all if you are a Zelda fan you should play this game although you'll probably find it inferior. If you've never played a Zelda game you should play another game of the series first an only come back to this one if you find yourself hooked. Expand
  28. Jan 19, 2012
    There is almost zero exploration in this game. Having a big open world with multiple towns, tons of sidequests, and tons of things to find and do has been a zelda tradition since the begining. Skyward Sword throws all that out in favor of a singular town, which acts as a hubworld to take you to the dungeon areas. Before you can enter each dungeon though you have to perform a dowsing fetchThere is almost zero exploration in this game. Having a big open world with multiple towns, tons of sidequests, and tons of things to find and do has been a zelda tradition since the begining. Skyward Sword throws all that out in favor of a singular town, which acts as a hubworld to take you to the dungeon areas. Before you can enter each dungeon though you have to perform a dowsing fetch quest which is boring and only serves to prolong the game. If you want to know what it's like playing Skyward Sword then just imagine what Ocarina of Time would be like if you took away everything but the dungeons, and added in some annoying fetch quests to prolong the game. Expand
  29. Mar 15, 2012
    Bought this on the strength of reviews. Good game- but not great. No exploration, a single town, lots of padding.. it felt like the game was sending me on fetch quests 'just because', and the storyline was really weak. The controls were good and accurate, but laggy, which often caused frustration and in the end I couldn't be bothered, and flailing worked just as often as being preciseBought this on the strength of reviews. Good game- but not great. No exploration, a single town, lots of padding.. it felt like the game was sending me on fetch quests 'just because', and the storyline was really weak. The controls were good and accurate, but laggy, which often caused frustration and in the end I couldn't be bothered, and flailing worked just as often as being precise did.

And Fi, the games 'Navi', is super annoying, blocking gamplay to reiterate what you have just been told/discovered. Overall, my least favourite Zelda game, and the only one that has had me bored and begging for it to finish.
  30. Nov 25, 2011
    It took them 5 years but Nintendo has finally done it..delivering an adventure so grand yet utilizing the 'revolutionary' motion control to the best there ever is. While there may be some technical hiccups, this is truly the masters' showing how it's done. Delivering and maximizing the ability of a 'weaker' system such as the Wii to its fullest. Great graphics (not high def though), greatIt took them 5 years but Nintendo has finally done it..delivering an adventure so grand yet utilizing the 'revolutionary' motion control to the best there ever is. While there may be some technical hiccups, this is truly the masters' showing how it's done. Delivering and maximizing the ability of a 'weaker' system such as the Wii to its fullest. Great graphics (not high def though), great music, immersive control and gameplay...The best game of 2011 and all time is here. Expand
  31. Jan 11, 2012
    How **** stupid do you have to be to rant about how this title is more of the same. Last time I checked Zelda games have consistently been awesome. So has Metroid and most Mario games... If it ain't broke don't fix it. Great game though the intro was a bit prolonged.
  32. Nov 29, 2011
    Best Zelda ever, it greatness creeps up on you, so its only immediately apparent but it grows on you. A few dungeons in and you see the best of Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Ocarina of Time.
  33. Apr 15, 2012
    Finally quit this game today. Tried to like it, but just didn't live up to the series' standards. Heavy reliance on motion control, but precision was definitely lacking. Requiring flying, a dull activity, pretty much sums up the entire game. It was fun when things were actually happening, but I got tired of the linearity, the retreads back to old worlds, the swimming (ugh). JustFinally quit this game today. Tried to like it, but just didn't live up to the series' standards. Heavy reliance on motion control, but precision was definitely lacking. Requiring flying, a dull activity, pretty much sums up the entire game. It was fun when things were actually happening, but I got tired of the linearity, the retreads back to old worlds, the swimming (ugh). Just disappointed.

To me, this game perfectly highlights the problems of relying on motion control for precision activities. Too often I felt that I wanted to perform some maneuver, but Link did not respond. The stamina meter was an interesting addition, but it eventually it just annoyed me.

Can't count the number of times I've replayed Link to the Past, but this is the first Zelda game I just got bored and quit. How disappointing.
  34. Jul 14, 2013
    Truly a disappointment. The motion control sucks ass. It doesn't always work and it's tiresome to play with. Also, its pointless. It would be both easier and better to use normal controls. The only reason the game had any difficulty is because the controls are useless and broken.

Other then that, the game had meaningless conversations, a boring story, you couldn't explore, the dialogue was slow, and meaningless boring missions. Didn't even want to make it all the way through the game, it was to bad. There was no pleasure in playing it. My brother felt the very same way and neither of us played through it.
  35. May 27, 2014
    I'll start this review by saying that, while I've enjoyed a number of games in the series, I wouldn't generally consider myself to be a huge Zelda fan. Having heard virtually nothing but positive reviews for this title since its release however I purchased Skyward Sword hoping it would top all the previous games. This may not be the popular opinion but I was left bitterly disappointed as aI'll start this review by saying that, while I've enjoyed a number of games in the series, I wouldn't generally consider myself to be a huge Zelda fan. Having heard virtually nothing but positive reviews for this title since its release however I purchased Skyward Sword hoping it would top all the previous games. This may not be the popular opinion but I was left bitterly disappointed as a number of issues meant I failed to garner much enjoyment from the game.
    Chief amongst these issues is the tedious opening three to four hours in which the majority of the time is spent listening to characters explain the world in far more detail than is necessary rather than just letting the player explore for themselves. I've never played a game where I found myself wishing that NPCs would just stop talking and let me get on with things quite as much. During this time it also becomes clear just how important HD has become to a games visuals. I'm not someone who is usually too fussed about how a game looks but Skyward Sword looks particularly ugly in places, especially when compared to the gorgeous cel-shaded graphics of The Wind Waker. The much hyped motion-controls, while better than the majority of Wii titles, are also as frustrating as ever in places.
    There are of course plenty of examples of the usual Nintendo magic to be found throughout the game and Zelda fans will likely be pleased with what they find but this won’t do anything to attract gamers previously uninterested in the series.
  36. Dec 23, 2011
    If you're a fan of the Zelda series, check this out for the wii motion plus control system, adds an entire new element to the combat system. If you're not a fan of the Zelda series, what rock have you been hiding under, buy a wii, buy this game, save Zelda, be a hero. I've read a couple of bad reviews saying motion lag, and that the controls don't work properly (e.g. you can't controlIf you're a fan of the Zelda series, check this out for the wii motion plus control system, adds an entire new element to the combat system. If you're not a fan of the Zelda series, what rock have you been hiding under, buy a wii, buy this game, save Zelda, be a hero. I've read a couple of bad reviews saying motion lag, and that the controls don't work properly (e.g. you can't control which direction you swing the sword from), personally I have no idea what they're talking about, I can only assume they have the wii sensor bar buried underneath a mountain of junk, or that they don't know their left from their right, if you can't control THIS game, it's not the game, you as a gamer just have very bad coordination reminiscent of 12 year olds that tantrum when people won't let them win whilst playing HALO online....
    Overall, this is a fantastic game, typical of Nintendo, graphics are polished, although my one criticism is that of the console, this game would've looked fantastic in 1080p, but oh well. Musical score is fantastic. Controls are brilliant. The puzzles have been well thought out and really challenge you even if you're used to Zelda style puzzles. The major thing that blew me away however, was the story, I found myself wanting to save Zelda, wanting to help people, wanting to find out the dark past of the land. Buy it, you will not be disappointed.
  37. Dec 10, 2011
    Just wanted to throw another 10 this game's way (because 7.7 as an average user score is ridiculous) and add: GAME OF THE YEAR. Sorry "Uncharted 3."
  38. Dec 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me just say this: Skyward Sword was one of the best gaming experiences yet for me. The masterful use of the blended Wind Waker/Twilight Princess art style is truly amazing. The story is the best yet, and it leaves you aching the whole way through (In a good way!) The Wii Motion Plus makes your sword move 1:1 and makes fighting enemies for the first time like a puzzle. This game sets up events for the next games, and, spoiler, the creation of the legendary Master Sword. This is the first game in which Link gains the entire Triforce, and it explains why our green-clad hero is always up against a big baddie. If you are a fan of the series, definitely pick it up. Expand
  39. Dec 2, 2011
    Uno de los videojuegos mejores diseñados de los ultimos 10 años. Un espectaculo artistico y jugable. Sentiras que realmente nunca habias jugado a algo parecido. No puede faltar en tu coleccion.
  40. Dec 4, 2011
    Skyward Sword is an amazing game. It makes perfect use of the motion controls and has some of the best dungeons Zelda has seen yet! One of the best games in the franchise without a doubt.
  41. Dec 9, 2011
    I think negative/mixed reviews are out of mind. I can comprehend the issues of this game, but it remains the best demonstration of the Wii spectacular controller and the best game in this generation (maybe Skyrim can compete with this, but only Skyrim). The best Zelda ever.
  42. Dec 6, 2011
    This is a game that pretty much proves you can't always listen to the "users" as the case is that they're practically never right about a game being bad! Especially when it turns out to be as fun as this one! Believe me it's not something I usually say, but this time screw the losers. Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 both got higher ratings than this! However that doesn't meanThis is a game that pretty much proves you can't always listen to the "users" as the case is that they're practically never right about a game being bad! Especially when it turns out to be as fun as this one! Believe me it's not something I usually say, but this time screw the losers. Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 both got higher ratings than this! However that doesn't mean they're as fun. In fact as over rated as those games are (they're still fun IMO) they aren't worthy of climbing the same heights as a Zelda game like this one. Why not? Because they aren't nearly as revolutionary of games as people said they were! Now here's a game that has finally come along that you should just know from the very moment that you play it is pretty revolutionary, in ways that those other games will NEVER be! Show me one way that this brilliant this game isn't revolutionary! Do that and I'll show you something that will wow your socks off! Anyway you'll never convince me this is bad, if you find it bad...well that's your loss! Others who know better will continue to see it for what it is, the absolute best game in the series since Majora's Mask! Expand
  43. Dec 10, 2011
    Let's just say, this game is an absolute masterpiece. This is quite possibly the best game I have ever played. Nintendo perfectly blended beautiful music, a great art style, a surprisingly deep story, and perfect controls into this. The 5 years of work paid off amazingly.
  44. Dec 11, 2011
    This game is a masterpiece. The story is immersive, the gameplay is extremely enjoyable and will take you a very decent amount of time to fully complete. Also the addition of Hero Mode extends the time you will likely spend playing this absolutely fantastic game. For those of you who really appreciate the music in a game, Skyward Sword will have you begging for a Soundtrack release - theThis game is a masterpiece. The story is immersive, the gameplay is extremely enjoyable and will take you a very decent amount of time to fully complete. Also the addition of Hero Mode extends the time you will likely spend playing this absolutely fantastic game. For those of you who really appreciate the music in a game, Skyward Sword will have you begging for a Soundtrack release - the music is utterly great. Finally, the Nintendo Wii has become the games console it was always intended to be with the release of a truly majestic game in the form of a ground-breakingly good adventure.
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword completely justifies the purchase of a Nintendo Wii, if only for this title.
  45. Mar 17, 2012
    Fetch quests....is that a legitimate substitute for the dungeon puzzles of the past? The 'dousing' mechanic is the worst thing to ever happen to this once great franchise. Well played, Nintendo. You just reused 80% of the content for us to play through again. Oh, and you have repeated non-skippable bullsh*t dialogue to torture the player with? Uh huh. Oh, you say you also have crappyFetch quests....is that a legitimate substitute for the dungeon puzzles of the past? The 'dousing' mechanic is the worst thing to ever happen to this once great franchise. Well played, Nintendo. You just reused 80% of the content for us to play through again. Oh, and you have repeated non-skippable bullsh*t dialogue to torture the player with? Uh huh. Oh, you say you also have crappy combat that pales in comparison to previous games? Yup. Oh, you say the game holds your hand so tightly their is almost no freedom of exploration? Sure, sure. I am a hug fan of Twilight, Wind Waker and past games, so it saddens me to give this a 5. This franchise, like others, is on cruise control. But with Zelda on the cover, you know those scores inflate reeeeaal. easy. Expand
  46. Mar 7, 2012
    Enjoyable enough to be worth a look if you are a Zelda fan (as I am), but has a deliberate, heavy handed feel that can get tedious. There are very few mysteries or puzzles to actually "solve", as everything is spelled out...often literally... multiple times. As others have noted, the same battles have to be repeated; the same areas have to be returned to for what often equates to a 30Enjoyable enough to be worth a look if you are a Zelda fan (as I am), but has a deliberate, heavy handed feel that can get tedious. There are very few mysteries or puzzles to actually "solve", as everything is spelled out...often literally... multiple times. As others have noted, the same battles have to be repeated; the same areas have to be returned to for what often equates to a 30 second - 1 minute "quest"; and at this point I could probably recite the description of every treasure in my sleep. (If every other aspect of gameplay can be saved at a save point, why can't the fact that I've seen a banal item description- and don't need to be reminded that "it can be found anywhere" or "it is very rare" - be noted!?) Controls worked fine for me; in fact, if it weren't for the involvement of physical activity, I don't think I would have kept playing. Graphics are ok; hated them at first but they grew on me. Still prefer any other Zelda title's style though. Overall, I much prefer the Zelda titles for the NES, SNES, N64 and Cube, all of which retained a level of challenge and rewarding puzzle solving that SS is lacking. In a slight throwback way, the feeling of going back to the same places over and over again in SS is reminiscent of having to start all the way back at the beginning in the original Zelda titles... but in a somehow even more irritating way. Expand
  47. Apr 4, 2012
    this episode is not comparable thilight princess, for me it is not so impressionnant.Je think the Wii has reached its limits with this new episode charts. In addition some features were not interacted Link does not enough with its environment. But it's still a good game to discover in the wii console.
  48. Dec 9, 2013
    The worst Zelda to date, without a doubt. The graphics, if not super ugly, look old and flat, the dungeons are not what we used to see, the writings are not good, sometimes even a real pain to read, the ideas are not good... But the worst part, where it hurts the most, is definitely the controls. They tried waaaaaay too hard to include motion features, waaaaay too hard. It limited theThe worst Zelda to date, without a doubt. The graphics, if not super ugly, look old and flat, the dungeons are not what we used to see, the writings are not good, sometimes even a real pain to read, the ideas are not good... But the worst part, where it hurts the most, is definitely the controls. They tried waaaaaay too hard to include motion features, waaaaay too hard. It limited the gameplay, felt repetitive, and the game felt more like some kind of QTE Zelda than a real Zelda. Oh, and my arm hurt after a 2 hours.
    Overall, the gameplay feels incredibly tedious, especially for a big fan of the series like me. It's not a Zelda, I couldn't find the personnality and the heart of this unique series. It's a random Wii adventure game.
    Even if A Link Between Worlds was absolutely amazing, after playing Skyward Sword, I cannot help myself but fearing for the future of the 3D Zeldas, and more generally for the future of my favourite video game series ever. A huge disappointment.
  49. Feb 11, 2012
    Look, I haven't even completed the game yet but I'm just going to give my review: Brilliant,amazing and excellent. Why Nintendo gave it to us so late in the Wii's lifetime nobody knows, but what a great way to say goodbye to the Wii with such a fantastic game. Sure, some aspects of the game are infuriating (Silent Realms anyone?) but they are all very minor. I will never forget theLook, I haven't even completed the game yet but I'm just going to give my review: Brilliant,amazing and excellent. Why Nintendo gave it to us so late in the Wii's lifetime nobody knows, but what a great way to say goodbye to the Wii with such a fantastic game. Sure, some aspects of the game are infuriating (Silent Realms anyone?) but they are all very minor. I will never forget the experience I have had with this game and as Fi would say, "I predict 100% chance of this being the finest Legend of Zelda game ever" Happy 25th birthday Legend of Zelda and goodbye to you Nintendo Wii. It's been a good one. Expand
  50. Jan 8, 2012
    I was so excited for this game but overall it kind of left me disappointed. It is not the best game for the wii (Mario Galaxy) and there is no way it is the best game in the series although it would probably be in the top 5 for both. (My top Zeldas btw in order are: Link to the past, Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Link's Awakening THEN skyward). Even the wii game of theI was so excited for this game but overall it kind of left me disappointed. It is not the best game for the wii (Mario Galaxy) and there is no way it is the best game in the series although it would probably be in the top 5 for both. (My top Zeldas btw in order are: Link to the past, Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Link's Awakening THEN skyward). Even the wii game of the year I would have to give to Xenoblade over Skyward Sword and it was a pretty rough year for the wii. Here are my reasons for a 7.5.
    Pros:
    It's Zelda
    Motion controls done as they should be and work most the time
    Impressive puzzle design
    Loved how Link was more athletic
    Loved the "time capsule" levels

Cons:
    First NO over world to explore. I loved the twilight princess world and was hoping for expansion.
    Only 3 worlds that you return to like 4 times
    Time for voice acting (ok to leave Link out)
    No hidden faries for upgrades
    Fight same bosses up to 3x
    Pick a graphic style and stick to it: Skyward sword and Twilight both looked great don't need to fuse them rather improve them.
    Motion controls often need resetting
    Weak side quests
    The shadow realms: one or two is enough!
    Kept feeling like something big was coming but nothing did.
    Repetitive

The game does lay a nice foundation to build upon for the Wii U which will be able to bring a more powerful experience in areas other than just control. That I am excited for!
  51. Dec 9, 2011
    Is is wrong to mark a game down for only being 98% pure awesome? Skyward Sword takes a little while to get going and once it does it's not exactly at a breakneck pace. With about 40-50 hours for a first play through (and hero mode if you feel like a second) it's not a game your going to knock over in a weekend, but it is definitely a fun experience throughout and a wonderful change of paceIs is wrong to mark a game down for only being 98% pure awesome? Skyward Sword takes a little while to get going and once it does it's not exactly at a breakneck pace. With about 40-50 hours for a first play through (and hero mode if you feel like a second) it's not a game your going to knock over in a weekend, but it is definitely a fun experience throughout and a wonderful change of pace from Shooter Season 2011 :/. The controls are generally quite good, with the 1:1 swordplay working well and being used smartly and creatively throughout the game. That said there is still some waggle action to had here, so your motions don't have to be prefect all the time, but most enemies will punish you if slice the wrong way too often and there are some basic physics in play that cause enemies / objects to get knocked / thrown in the direction of your attack. The art style / graphics are a bit of a matter of taste; personally I would have preferred something little darker; but they are generally very good (just look away whenever someone 'sings') with areas like those around timeshift stones (especially the portable variety) and the final boss fight being particular highlights. Speaking of timeshift stones there are some great new mechanics is Skyward Sword, some a little under developed, but most proving quite enjoyable. There is also the new upgrade system, which works well in the early game, but by about mid game you'll have all the resources you need to max out pretty much all your gear... this does give you plenty of time at 'full power' I suppose, but it would have been nice to see a few more items / upgrade options. Gameplay overall is what you would expect from a Zelda game, with enemies to fight, temples to explore, puzzles to solve (though none especially difficult) and treasures to find. Of particular note are the boss fights, all of which range from excellent to awesome, and most of which can be repeated (if you want) through a mini game towards the end. The world is well designed and some of the temples are truly excellent, however it can't help but feel small with Skyloft being mostly empty sky and only three distinct environments down below. The main areas down below are visited numerous times (though usually with changes, some quite significant) throughout the story, however there are still new areas that unlock right until the end of the game so the world never gets entirely stale. The story is your usual 'hero saves the princess from the evil monster' variety, but it is well told, and there are side missions you can do around Skyloft that help flesh-out a lot of the minor characters. While not being quite perfect, Skyward Sword is definitely a worthy entry in the Zelda series and worth playing if only to experience some of the greatest moments in gaming this year. A must play for anyone who still has a Wii. Expand
  52. Apr 5, 2012
    Nintendo brings a new flavor of dungeon'ing and exploring to Zelda, though it has repercussions that weaken the foundations on which the series was built on. The artwork and design are colourful and beautiful, and add a vibrant atmosphere to every area, but the problem that arises with the setting is that they are confined. Zelda fans should be well accustomed to being able to explore aNintendo brings a new flavor of dungeon'ing and exploring to Zelda, though it has repercussions that weaken the foundations on which the series was built on. The artwork and design are colourful and beautiful, and add a vibrant atmosphere to every area, but the problem that arises with the setting is that they are confined. Zelda fans should be well accustomed to being able to explore a vast amount of environments, that's part of the appeal of the series. Unfortunately SS restricts the players ability to travel from one area to another, and so a feeling of disconnection arises, like how you do when you have to go back to a menu in a game to pick a new destination. You no longer feel as immersed in the gameplay. Monsters are few and far between, though they are spread over larger areas. The motions of defeating them become repetitive, just as pressing a certain button repeatedly would. The motion controls do not feel natural because of inaccuracy, lag and the need to calibrate often. This also causes the motion controls to not feel anymore realistic than pressing buttons would, you've only changed how you send commands.

The characters and plot felt bland and empty. Your companion for the game in particular, who will also give away many puzzles in the game before you can even take a crack at them. The final battle and ending left me dissatisfied, but given the story that led up to it, that wasn't surprising.

Overall, the game should be played through to the end before you review it. Too many seemed to jump on the bandwagon of excitement, played it for a few hours, gave it critical acclaim, and then had second thoughts later. It's a game worth playing, if not just to make your own opinion about the motion controls. Those expecting a dynamic journey with a great story and character development that doesn't make you roll your eyes, may be disappointed.
  53. Dec 11, 2011
    Controls:
    Controls:
    Great Motion controls. Swinging the sword and using items like the whip or flying beetle is very fun. The Wiimote seems to use the sensor bar to auto calibrate itself and thus it will get confused if there's another source of infrared light in the room such as sun from the window. For best results, play during night time. The sword stabbing can be a bit unresponsive at times but everything else is works pretty good.

Game Design:
    Wonderful, inventive and brilliant dungeon design, especially the very last dungeon. The entire world under the clouds is pretty much one big dungeon. The outdoor environments are complex enough to be interesting but not too complex to be confusing. Every confrontation is engaging thanks to the added motion controls, especially the boss fights. The last boss fights are extremely long and satisfying. The game constantly provides new activities to challenge you with so it never gets too repetitive. There are times however, where you know exactly where to go (and have the ability to do so) but the game forces to follow an exact order of events before your objective can be complete. For instance, at one point you have retrieve a specific lost item in land. Even though you can stand right next to the lost item you cannot interact with it until you first speak with owner. There's also a specific underwater fetch quest near the end of the game that is very uninteresting and seems forced. The overworld above the clouds is fun to navigate but very sparse in content. These are, however, just 3 minor complaints going against the game's overall excellent, engaging and plentiful puzzles and combat scenarios.

Story:
    A decent story that is more complex and richer than previous Zelda titles. Nice to see the supporting cast members have a more significant role.

Graphics:
    Artistically, this is very pretty. This time the game seems to have Asia influence in its art design which is a nice change to it usually Medial European look.

Overall:
    Excellent motion controls. Excellent level designs. Great variety of gamplay. A few hiccups with the Wiimotion plus technology and minor game design flaws keep it from a getting higher. But as it stands this is hands down, the best game in the Legend of Zelda series.
  54. Dec 7, 2011
    This game is beautiful, gorgeous and has the smooth control minigames we've waited for for years. Legend of Zelda has shown us once again that they rule nintendo by using that beautiful formula of puzzles, tough bosses and showing us collectibles we cant have while keeping a fresh and innovative touch staying ahead and giving us games to remember.
  55. Dec 8, 2011
    I am a die hard zelda fan. It's literally the only game I continue to look forward to and play. I grew up with it being the exact same age of the game and was so exited to get it for my birthday. I've read all the reviews watched all the videos and was dying to play it. As soon as I put the cd in I was very disappointed by the graphics. They look old and grainy. That might be because ofI am a die hard zelda fan. It's literally the only game I continue to look forward to and play. I grew up with it being the exact same age of the game and was so exited to get it for my birthday. I've read all the reviews watched all the videos and was dying to play it. As soon as I put the cd in I was very disappointed by the graphics. They look old and grainy. That might be because of the wii console i'm not sure but that doesn't excuse the lack of background story in the game. After Ocarina of Time, games began to have less and less story substance behind them. What I loved about the first N64 game is that every "race" had a whole society, each had it's own culture, traditions, legends and side quests. Twilight princess was a great improvement to Wind Waker. But the point is sometimes you get tired of playing a constant battle in the game and want to chill out with side quests, it's disappointing how they are locked and only a few are available at the same time. This new game seems a little .. empty on that side. For new players it's still a very good entertaining game. But for Zelda Lifers it's going to come as a bit of disappointment were you feel more like your controlling a game character than if your actually part of the story line game. Expand
  56. Dec 9, 2011
    I wanted to give this game a perfect 10, I really did. Skyward Sword is a great game. But I couldn't help but feel something was missing afterwards. I went in with extremely high expectations, and it did meet a lot of them. The controls are fantastic. They make you feel like you're weilding the sword itself. The graphics aren't HD, but that's not what it was trying to do. The art style isI wanted to give this game a perfect 10, I really did. Skyward Sword is a great game. But I couldn't help but feel something was missing afterwards. I went in with extremely high expectations, and it did meet a lot of them. The controls are fantastic. They make you feel like you're weilding the sword itself. The graphics aren't HD, but that's not what it was trying to do. The art style is a perfect balance between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and it captures the spirit of Zelda perfectly. The gameplay was typical Zelda (which itself is a good thing) with a few changes, like the hub world, and one that I hope sticks with the series, upgradeable items and breakable shields. It made your rupees and collectibles worth something, and throughout the whole game I was compelled to find different items to make my items better.
    I think my gripe, however, is with the actual pacing of the story, mainly the 2nd half, as it actually starts to drag down the gameplay with fetch quests. There is a lot of "go here, talk to this person, go there, collect this, go back here, wait I need one more thing, go there again." Maybe that's a little bit of an exadgerration, but by the tail end of the game I really wanted to move along with the story, because it gets interesting. I got the feeling the developers wanted to add a little more play time in, but I personally would have preferred less play time in the story mode than to start getting bored by it. And by the time you get all these quests out of the way and make your way to the final leg of the game, it's over in a flash. Be warned; the epic finale of Ocarina of Time, this is not. I definately missed that feeling during the games last moments. The ending felt rushed, and left me wanting more, but not in a good way. Overall, Skyward Sword is definately earning the praise it's been getting, but there's still something missing. Next time, hopefully Nintendo will keep introducing us to awesome new gameplay elements right up until the very end of the game instead of sacrificing quality for quantity.
  57. Dec 9, 2011
    This is a great game. I have been a Zelda fan since the original came out for the NES. I am about 30 hours into the game and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute (yes even the introduction). The motion controls are glitchy (as others have mentioned); however, they are pretty good for being new technology. When they do get off-centered, they are easily re-calibrated. The thing that IThis is a great game. I have been a Zelda fan since the original came out for the NES. I am about 30 hours into the game and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute (yes even the introduction). The motion controls are glitchy (as others have mentioned); however, they are pretty good for being new technology. When they do get off-centered, they are easily re-calibrated. The thing that I enjoy most about the game is how much more difficult enemy encounters are. In any other Zelda game I usually can hack and slash my way through any non boss enemy. In this game, nearly every enemy requires strategy and thought. I have been hearing a lot of criticism about the graphics. I feel like Zelda fans generally appreciate the typical cartoony graphics and Nintendo is appealing to its typical client base. Also, when have realistic graphics every made a game good. There are tons of games out there that have amazing graphics but lack substance and aren't fun. If you are a real Zelda fan, this game probably will not be disappointing. Expand
  58. Dec 9, 2011
    Zelda introduces next gen gameplay paradigms, resulting in a fun, unique game with a great story. Even the much-maligned motion controls work well. Yet the game is still uniquely Zelda. Kudos to Nintendo.
  59. Dec 29, 2011
    A worthy successor to the Zelda mythos. Addition of motion controls is overrated, but does add another layer to the game play. I have to keep remembering what motions to make in order to do the finishing moves, but still worth the game time. Flying becomes a bit tedious in the same way that riding trains became tedious in Spirit Tracks, especially when my arms started to hurt. But for aA worthy successor to the Zelda mythos. Addition of motion controls is overrated, but does add another layer to the game play. I have to keep remembering what motions to make in order to do the finishing moves, but still worth the game time. Flying becomes a bit tedious in the same way that riding trains became tedious in Spirit Tracks, especially when my arms started to hurt. But for a first party effort from Nintendo, worth picking up and adding to the collection. Not willing to say if it's better than Twilight Princess just yet, but I'm glad I picked it up. Expand
  60. Jan 17, 2012
    This is a perfect wii game! and such a thrilling adventure! The graphics are just absolutely gorgeous and amazing. The soundtrack is mindblowing and the gameplay is just perfect with the wii motion plus!
  61. Feb 28, 2012
    This is by far one of the best Zelda games in history. The gameplay, graphics, and music are just absolutely AMAZING! Nintendo completely took advantage of the potential the Wii Motion Plus has.
  62. Mar 5, 2012
    The game that takes beyond the challenging and worn out mechanics of the saga. A pity Wii's technical limitations, but we would be speaking about a bomb explosion. Perfect in your development, ingenious, varied, entertaining and that uses the possibilities of wii in an exemplary way. The best Zelda and the Wii's best game.
  63. Mar 6, 2012
    The story is articulated and is full of characters. The graphics is one of the best i've ever seen on the wii. The new gameplay is a revolution for the saga and the orchestral songs are really beatiful. This is a masterpiece of the history of gaming.
  64. May 28, 2012
    Not quite the masterpiece everyone claims it is, but an excellent entry in the series. Uses the Wii's limited hardware to put forth the best looking game possible that controls the way the Wii should in the first place. 40+ hours of solid, interesting gameplay, side quests and intelligent dungeon designs. A definite purchase if you're a fan of the series.
  65. Mar 13, 2012
    This game is epic! Great story, amazing gameplay and the graphics are the best you can find on the wii. The controller sometimes might be a pain in the ass but ignoring that, this is a masterpiece!!! Totally worth your money!
  66. Mar 25, 2012
    I played the game almost all the way through, but unfortunately I got so frustrated that I gave up. Game itself is OK, although nowhere near as captivating as it's predecessors. There was "too much of the same" all the way through and it failed to match the magic previous games had. Unfortunately it did not have as many towns to visit as previous ones, sky island was too small for myI played the game almost all the way through, but unfortunately I got so frustrated that I gave up. Game itself is OK, although nowhere near as captivating as it's predecessors. There was "too much of the same" all the way through and it failed to match the magic previous games had. Unfortunately it did not have as many towns to visit as previous ones, sky island was too small for my liking and the story got me tired. That enemy guy looked more like something from DBZ than a villain that belongs to the Zelda Universe. I got to the Sand Ship boss and my wiimote and nunchuk did everything they could to sour my experience.
    All the way through the game I found controls tedious at the best and they ruined many a fun moment for me.
    I think they tried too hard to push for the wiimote functionality that they screwed the controls up that the game was no fun to play at all. Bloody thing got de-calibrated so often that I spent ages just adjusting it.
    It was not that much of a problem in low intense areas but with that sand ship boss the experience became unbearable. You are switching from the sword to the bow and arrows, have barely a few seconds to shoot him, and your screen starts spinning like a **** you are desperately trying to calibrate it, and the chance of shooting him is gone and what is worse, because you are in the first person mode, you get disoriented and get pummeled in the end. It is really annoying when you know exactly what to do, but the game flaws your attempts. Eventually I got it done, but then asked myself if it was worth it, decided it felt more like a waste of time than fun it should be and gave up on the game all together.
    And I blame Nintendo for it. So here you go have your 5 ( I wanted to do zero, but I could not justify it to myself) And if it was not a Zelda game I would probably give it 7 but after decades of setting the bar so high they have to be marked on their own merits.
  67. Mar 24, 2012
    This game is a true masterpiece in every sense of the word. The graphics look amazing, the controls are amazing, the world is amazing. Everything is done almost flawlessly. The controls match you every movement and works very well. The world is very compact in this entry with only four main areas to explore, if you count Skyloft as an area. Within these areas though, There is plenty ofThis game is a true masterpiece in every sense of the word. The graphics look amazing, the controls are amazing, the world is amazing. Everything is done almost flawlessly. The controls match you every movement and works very well. The world is very compact in this entry with only four main areas to explore, if you count Skyloft as an area. Within these areas though, There is plenty of ideas packed into these few areas. The start does start out a bit slow, but it's worth it. This game has some of the best dungeons the series has ever seen. There are only seven main dungeons this time around but this is an example of quality over quantity. The area you explore before the dungeons also has some puzzle solving and battle elements as well. The sky is a pretty empty area though. There are goddess cube chests which correspond with other cubes on the surface of the world. These includes items but it isn't enough in the large sky in Zelda. There is a wealth of side quests to be had in this adventure with most involving a strange vampire person named Batreaux and getting gratitude crystals. This entire adventure will take you a good fifty hours including all the side quests. This is a must own title for anyone who calls themselves a gamer. Expand
  68. May 16, 2012
    Great story combined with great look and feel. Using the Wiimote as a sword felt natural (mainly) and the skyward sword itself was pretty cool. Some tasks were mundane but the rest of the game is stellar. Could do with voice acting.
  69. Nov 5, 2012
    Innovation is once again brought to the series of legend, Skyward Sword shows what Zelda is really about with an exciting new control scheme, beautiful art style, and engrossing gameplay. A faulty moments here and there is greatly overshadowed by the game's strengths. This is a must have for any Wii owner. 9/10
  70. Oct 5, 2013
    Very boring, hours long opening. Nothing really new. Levels are repeating themselves, puzzles aren't that great. Characters are quite meaningless. Even the sidekick is annoying and boring (I miss Midna!). The graphics are quite bad, even for the Wii. It looks worse than Twilight Princess and is nothing near the graphical quality of e.g. Mario Galaxy. The sword controls with Wii Motion PlusVery boring, hours long opening. Nothing really new. Levels are repeating themselves, puzzles aren't that great. Characters are quite meaningless. Even the sidekick is annoying and boring (I miss Midna!). The graphics are quite bad, even for the Wii. It looks worse than Twilight Princess and is nothing near the graphical quality of e.g. Mario Galaxy. The sword controls with Wii Motion Plus aren't that great either.

If you can slog one's way through the first seven very boring hours, it gets better. But it stays very dated. Same old elements like every Zelda of the last years had, nothing new, characters still don't speak. Feels very dated in every aspect. I loved OoT, WW, TP but couldn't get warm with Skyward Sword at all. Worst Zelda I ever played. I think the series needs some kind of reboot like OoT was back in the days.

It's still fun to play if you don't count the first hours. But in my opinion it's one of the most overrated games of all time.
  71. Jan 5, 2013
    This is my favourite game of all time. No lie. I love Zelda games since Ocarina of Time and this is the best of 'em. It uses the Wii remote in creative, unique en mostly NOT gimmicky ways. The Sword combat was a blast, Ghirahim was awesome and the temples were the best. The overworld was boring though and there were quite a lot of things wrong with this game (I have my own website were IThis is my favourite game of all time. No lie. I love Zelda games since Ocarina of Time and this is the best of 'em. It uses the Wii remote in creative, unique en mostly NOT gimmicky ways. The Sword combat was a blast, Ghirahim was awesome and the temples were the best. The overworld was boring though and there were quite a lot of things wrong with this game (I have my own website were I wrote a longer review I'm not going to name all bad things here) but Skyward Sword is so charming and so innovative, yet still Zelda in every way. Not perfect, I know, but defenitly an amazing game. Expand
  72. Jan 22, 2014
    It has been some time since I played this game and reading some of the negative reviews reminded me of why this game just did not do it for me as an addition to the Zelda series. Perhaps my problem is coming at the game as a long time Zelda fan? Maybe. This game just felt very gimmicky and childish, I never really felt like I was saving the world in any sensible way, and I could notIt has been some time since I played this game and reading some of the negative reviews reminded me of why this game just did not do it for me as an addition to the Zelda series. Perhaps my problem is coming at the game as a long time Zelda fan? Maybe. This game just felt very gimmicky and childish, I never really felt like I was saving the world in any sensible way, and I could not have cared less about Zelda in the story. As a fan I would score the game lower but I also have to give credit for the parts of it that were actually done quite well. That being said, I can highly recommend Twilight Princess, but I don't feel this one is worth the fans' time. Expand
  73. Feb 22, 2014
    This game is so horrible that it makes you feel pain. The annoying repetitiousness, linearity in game, horrible bosses, the level design, storyline, the music. This games makes me feel bored every moment when i proceed in the game. I feel like i played another Ocarina of Time clone with horrible design.
  74. May 1, 2014
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is a great game. With a long story, fun gameplay, and high replay value, the game just feels fun compared to older games. However, that being said, unlike the classics, Skyward Sword lacks any real challenge and puzzle that would take more than 10 minutes to complete. The story is good, not great. It does tie in a lot of the series. The gameplay is highlyThe Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is a great game. With a long story, fun gameplay, and high replay value, the game just feels fun compared to older games. However, that being said, unlike the classics, Skyward Sword lacks any real challenge and puzzle that would take more than 10 minutes to complete. The story is good, not great. It does tie in a lot of the series. The gameplay is highly enjoyable with the Wii Motion plus and is very satisfying. The graphics, although, not realistic by any means, do work for the game. Instead of realism, it's replaced with art. The entire world when viewed, looks like a piece of art which does replace any desire for realism.

However, the thing that really draws me back is the child-ish nature to the game and the easiness to it. Something I wish Zelda would start doing is making the games darker. Make the game more realistic. Twilight Princess and Majora's Mask are great examples of ways to do it, without making it very violent. Also, compared to older games, I never found myself stuck in one spot very long. Majora's Mask took me almost a year to complete when I first started playing it. Ocarina of Time took even longer. Now, this does make the game more relaxed, family friendly, and enjoyable, but when I'm playing Zelda, I want puzzles and a great story.

Overall, it's a good game. Worth buying. Would I say it's amazing by any means? No.
  75. Dec 15, 2015
    para mi fue un juego visualmente una obra de arte graficamente es mejor que twilght princess jugablemente es mejory su historia es hermosa un juego que donde los pozzles son de lo mejor de los ultimos tiempos
  76. Mar 24, 2016
    70% of Zelda fans hate this game, some love it, and some think it's just okay. I am one of those people who thinks it's just good and nothing better. Let's start with the story. This game has the most story in any Zelda game. It's not complicated like Sonic 06, Kingdom Hearts, or Metal Gear Solid 4, but it contains character development and it's pretty long. The main point of criticism of70% of Zelda fans hate this game, some love it, and some think it's just okay. I am one of those people who thinks it's just good and nothing better. Let's start with the story. This game has the most story in any Zelda game. It's not complicated like Sonic 06, Kingdom Hearts, or Metal Gear Solid 4, but it contains character development and it's pretty long. The main point of criticism of this game is the motion controls, and it's something you can either love or hate. But as for me, I have mixed feelings toward them. The controls can either be excellent or the bane of your existence. If you swing the remote casually, you will have fun with the controls. However, if you swing the remote like a maniac, then the controls will kick you in the butt. Now, the soundtrack. It's good, but it's pretty forgettable. and some tunes are just... blegh (Lanayru Mining Facility, anyone?) The graphics are extremely ugly in my opinion. I just hate the art style so much. However, I like the story and I like how linear the game is. This may be a turn off for some, but after playing the original Zelda, this is a godsend. The story is filled with likable and memorable characters, and the bosses are just amazing. (Except the imprisoned, f*** that boss.) In the end, this game is good, but nothing special in my opinion. Expand
  77. Aug 10, 2016
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is one of the best Zelda games ever made. The Wii motion plus makes combat both fun and difficult, and the game has a very interesting story.
  78. Jan 9, 2017
    This is a pretty damn good Zelda installment. The graphics look nice, and the music is good. But the plot is one that I didn't really care for and the motion control is just plain bad, though not so bad as to tarnish the whole experience. Overall, I recommend you check it out, as it's really a fun time.
  79. Apr 14, 2013
    I want to love this game. I really do. I've been a hardcore fan of the series since LttP. I bought the stupid wii motion plus and started up this game with my heart pumping and my hands quivering. I proceeded to be slapped in the friggen face with what they've done to my Zelda. After the first 3 temples, I quit entirely. It took my friend Rachael another 4 months to convince me to pick itI want to love this game. I really do. I've been a hardcore fan of the series since LttP. I bought the stupid wii motion plus and started up this game with my heart pumping and my hands quivering. I proceeded to be slapped in the friggen face with what they've done to my Zelda. After the first 3 temples, I quit entirely. It took my friend Rachael another 4 months to convince me to pick it up again, with the promise that it gets better. And she didn't lie. Some of the bosses (especially Four Arms McSamurai Robot) and level designs are GREAT! But the overall game just didn't hold up. I didn't feel like link, saving the world from evil. I felt like I was busting my way through dungeons, having my hand held by the most annoying character to grace the series. Navi pretty annoying. Fi holy godamn your are so annoying it is physically hurting me. She literally will interrupt the game to inform you that "bows shoot arrows", "keys go into locks", and my favorite, "I was beeping to let you know about the other beeping to let you know that your health is low". The controls were not 1:1, making the prequel to the final boss the most frustrating battle I have ever experienced. But then after that I killed the final boss with relative ease! And let's not forget that the cool Zelda races have been replaced with weird little penguin f**kers, and MOLE PEOPLE. SERIOUSLY. Hey game designers, Imma just put it out there, if you're looking for innovational character design, MOLE PEOPLE WILL NEVER BE IT!! Oh, and the bird sucks. Theres minimal air combat and the over world is too big to be flying uselessly along. I want Epona back. I get it. I really do, it's supposed to be new and creative. I just don't caaaare. It sucked, gimme back Epona. And give me back the ADVENTURE! This game was so "on the rails" it made me feel like I was playing a LoZ mod of an FPS. The side quests were all silly grind fests with no real merit. If this wasn't a Zelda game, I would give it at least a 7. But I had certain expectations from this, and they just weren't met. As a kid who grew up defeating Ganondorf, memorizing the songs, collecting all the mask to become the fierce diety, and riding over the fields of Hyrule on my beloved horse, this was not what I was hoping for. But it looks like they'll get the next game right so far! Expand
  80. Mar 15, 2012
    VERY overrated game. I don't know why people are even thinking of comparing this ill handled turd to Ocarina of Time. The controls SUCK. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.
  81. Jul 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I was six years old I got an N64 and OoT for my birthday... to put it lightly I have a major fan of the The Legend of Zelda games since. To be blunt I was not impressed by SS. Peope have said that we who are negative of SS are blinded by our nostagla from past Zelda games, to that I agree to an extent. The Zelda franchise has been a constantly evolving series, that has change many core gameplay mechanics, but stayed true to what Zelda has always been about; adventuring the lands, finding badass items, wicked boss fights, and a deep and convaluted story that grips you and pulls you in from start to finish. Pre-N64 games aside, OoT (ALttP was fantasic for its time as well) achieved all of these elements with a high degree for its time becoming one of the first great 3D adventures. It is now the model to which all of us hardcore "Zelda fanatics" hold all future installments to. SS is a paradox, despite being hailed as the greatest Zelda game ever, it is a major step back from the progress made since OoT. Each game brings its own special flavour to the medley, and despite never being "perfect" they represent progress for the franchise. SS throws away many successful and exhilarating aspects of past games, for new greener ideas. I cannot fault Nintendo for this, for without innovation the franchise wouldn't be in the same place as it is today. Nevertheless, I dearly miss the open worlds of WW and to an extent TP, interesting races like the Gorons or Zoras, the epic boss battles that *ALWAYS* required the unique item from the given temple, and finally... you can quote me on this, "a complelling story". As a self rebuttle I did greatly enjoy the new crafting system, the development of many secondary characters on Skyloft, and the new puzzles using the Wii MotionPlus. These are keepers in the Zelda franchise as far as I'm concerned, although the sword fighting with MotionPlus was at times...infuriating. Despite this the things that made LoZ so special to me, are spat on and frankly thrown out the window as far as I'm concerned for the following 3 reasons:
    1. Adventuring: Essentially none existent - 3 seperated linear areas, and a large sky that apart from skyloft has very little to offer. In WW there was a wide open world to explore that was deeply interconnected and possible to travel at anytime, even if some islands secrets were item specific. Even the original OoT was open, and Hyrule could be travelled freely other than a free choice exceptions. The main complaint is that the progress that was made in WW and not so much in TP towards a more open and interactive world was not existent in SS.
    2. Boss Fights: Just Awful - Apart from Koloktos, the huge beast with 6 arms (who was a blast to fight I should say), and Demise, the rest get to big thumbs dowm. Ghirahim is a huge pain to fight not to mention that you battle him 3 times instead of a boss that is unique to the temple, and the rest are fairly lame. One of my favourite part of the past games was the massive boss fights and how satisfying they always were. Its not a matter of difficulty, but how satisfying it is to slay a massive beast...SS misses the mark in this category.
    3. Story: Weak - this is a very subjective category I admit, but its been said before and I'll say it again...the story of SS is awful with numerous plot holes. For one who the bloody f*** is Ghirahim! yes he is the demon lord pledged to Demise, but come on! no detailed reasons for his motives, what makes him demon lord? where does he come from? In TP there was a great backstory on Zant, his background is blurry, but it is obvious he is usurping Minda as Ganondorfs pawn and is conquering the world of light. Its easy to work out that Demise has the evil, destroy everything that is fresh and sweet goal, but some more to go on would be nice espeically for Ghirahim. In every Zelda game I've been absolutely captured by the story, with SS I could barely finish the game! I don't even wanna start with Fi...in summary I would have sold my first born child to get one chance to strangle her! To sum up, weak secondary characters, terrible races (the kwikis...come on...), far to linear and repetative plot, and most importantly a lack of connection with the world depicted in SS. I want to jump in to the world's created in Zelda! if you don't feel involved in the plight of the world why bother saving it?

Skyward Sword is a step forward for the Zelda francise in terms of controls, and systems, but 2 steps back for the key elements that any Zelda fan should sit anxiously at the edge of their seat for. SS represents a new era for the Zelda franchise, I may not like it but the 93/100 speaks for itself. Old schoolers like myself may be sidelined as Zelda moves into new, uncharted waters disregarding past innovations. I can only hope that LoZ can move forward while respecting the past by bringing about positive change, while staying true to its roots!
  82. Jun 30, 2012
    To be quite frank to all the 'REAL' Zelda lovers this is my opinion:

To be quite frank to all the 'REAL' Zelda lovers this is my opinion:

Firstly I'm a DIEHARD zelda fan this game has changed my life. Well, sadly not this actual game itself. I'm 21 years old and currently an aspiring musician in the UK, when I was 7 years old and I'd heard the Lost Woods theme playing in the background of all that magical forestry I remember my heart skipping a beat for a second.
    So there I was motivated with my little yamaha toy keyboard infront of me and I sat down for 4 hours and learned the melody. 14 years later I'm still playing that melody to this current date. My undying love for music and adventures made this game feel like curry to a drunk. Everything Zelda up until 'Skyward Sword' brought me back to that magical moment when I was 7. I think the Critics aswell as the media are manufacturing lies when they say this is the best Zelda game since Ocarina of Time. It clearly isn't is it, about 65% of the way through the game I still had a glimmer of hope, I remember thinking to myself "It's ok after i'v done this bit I think I should finally be in hyrule field" There was no hyrule field. Instead the most adventurous map the developers could think of was above a few clouds with barely nothing to explore except a few chests you open on the ground below (which is only accessible through different parts of the sky). The music was nothing special either really, on OoT it was that detailed you could even learn to play the simpsons theme on your ocarina, little things like that made Zelda fun. Also being 21 and a smoker I really couldn't be bothered waving a stick around to kill an enemy can we have the option to use buttoned control pads again pleaaaaaaasseeee.
  83. Feb 9, 2012
    I am astounded at the positive reviews for this game. I am a lifelong gamer and a longtime Zelda fan, so I've been trying very hard to like it, but I finally reached my limit and had to quit playing altogether. It would be a fine Zelda game if not for the Motion Plus controls. I love the concept of 1-to1 sword fighting, but it just is not responsive enough to be a satisfying experience forI am astounded at the positive reviews for this game. I am a lifelong gamer and a longtime Zelda fan, so I've been trying very hard to like it, but I finally reached my limit and had to quit playing altogether. It would be a fine Zelda game if not for the Motion Plus controls. I love the concept of 1-to1 sword fighting, but it just is not responsive enough to be a satisfying experience for me. A good one in three strikes is misinterpreted, if not more. Sometimes, much, much more! I can't fathom how so many people can actually enjoy that experience. I have tried multiple controllers, I have replaced the batteries over and over, thinking it was a problem with my controllers, but the result is always the same. Overall it's okay...sometimes it's terrible, and sometimes it is rather engaging. It doesn't break the game, but it's far from the groundbreaking experience that many people are claiming. If that was all they used the motion plus for, it would probably be a great addition.

As far as the Zelda-ness of it, it's an excellent Zelda game. The classic game elements are all as good as ever, the dungeons are huge and smart, the puzzles are fun and well designed. For all my frustration, I've pushed through so I could get to more of that stuff, the stuff I love about Zelda. Finally, on a very late level in the game (after you get the bow), I died over and over on the boss because my shield kept popping up when I was supposed to prepare a skyward strike. The battle required the same mechanic earlier on, and I didn't have this problem, so it might be a bug...still, it was the last straw. By the time I managed to unequip my shield, I had used all my potions and I died soon after. Aside from that, I found the use of the motion controls -- outside of sword fights -- to be just as intrusive and silly as in Twilight Princess, if not even more so. Virtually every menial task you have to perform requires some use of the motion plus. Swinging on vines, balancing on ropes, aiming and throwing projectiles, etc. It was tedious the first time I had to do it...and made worse by the fact that it actually expects some level of precision. I preferred TP's controls because they were just translated button presses, and you didn't have to worry about holding the stupid controller at the right stupid angle to do something stupid. That's not fun or immersive or meaningful, it's stupid! The one thing other than sword fighting that was actually fun was shooting the bow. The pull-back mechanic was really satisfying for some reason. Anyway, it's hard not to recommend this for Zelda fans, because it's more Zelda. It's definitely a Zelda game. If you're a Zelda fan and you're dying for a fix, it's probably worth picking up right now. If you're curious but you aren't convinced, I'd definitely recommend waiting for it to go on sale. It's worth trying, if you like Zelda. The controls are a real mixed bag, and for me they make it more frustrating than fun. At the same time, everything else is there to make it a great game. The world is gigantic and filled with stuff to do. The dungeons are enormous, the new gadgets are fun, the puzzles are as good as ever. Argh, I'm so frustrated because I want to play it so badly but it's just no fun!
  84. Jan 25, 2012
    Easily the best Zelda game ever released. The motion controls are excellent and I love the storyline. The addition for equipment upgrades is also excellent as it gives the player incentive to hunt out as many items as possible to get the best equipment available.
  85. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So many fetch quests that felt forced and unnecessary. Indeed "fetch the 15 pieces of the doodad I scattered around the land even though I know you're the hero and you need this doodad" was made into a chore in this game. Moreover, these doodads don't even serve a function! If I had been acquiring items by finding their pieces that were scattered by a malevolent demigod to impede my progress, I'd be content. There would be purpose to progress. However, instead you collect songs that are put in there for the sake of having songs, and unlike Ocarina of Time, they don't warp you anywhere or change game dynamics. Indeed, they are one-use spells that open some NEW FETCH QUEST TRIAL. Half of the sidequests involved going to the surface and finding an item that was literally RIGHT BESIDE the save statue. Fetch the 12 pieces of the song to open an area to fetch the 12 pieces of a spirit gauge to open the dungeon to fetch one of three flames. Incredible feedback and battle mechanics can't save the dreadful pacing and plot points. Great for sword fighting. Terrible for everything else. Expand
  86. Mar 18, 2012
    This game is missing so much of the magic I've com to expect from Zelda games...theres none of the exploration, freedom, characters or emotion I found with Ocarina of Time and the others. I'm a fair way through and I have yet to get that "Zelda feeling". Obviously I wasn't expecting Skyrim with triforces but everything just feels dumbed down and simplified...all apart from the controls,This game is missing so much of the magic I've com to expect from Zelda games...theres none of the exploration, freedom, characters or emotion I found with Ocarina of Time and the others. I'm a fair way through and I have yet to get that "Zelda feeling". Obviously I wasn't expecting Skyrim with triforces but everything just feels dumbed down and simplified...all apart from the controls, which are just a mess. Really wish I'd just kept Zelda as a memory...Ocarina of Time is still the best game ever, not even this can spoil that. Expand
  87. Mar 12, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game, but I'm sorry. I just can't. The controls are pretty close to the 1:1 they promised, but they didn't use it to make interesting swordplay, they just used it to make every fight a repetitive puzzle. The story is severely limited, and exploration is almost nonexistent. This is my least favorite Zelda game ever (CDI games aside) and it mostly comes down toI really wanted to like this game, but I'm sorry. I just can't. The controls are pretty close to the 1:1 they promised, but they didn't use it to make interesting swordplay, they just used it to make every fight a repetitive puzzle. The story is severely limited, and exploration is almost nonexistent. This is my least favorite Zelda game ever (CDI games aside) and it mostly comes down to the feeling that this is "Zelda lite" for a crowd that's forgotten what Zelda was always about. Now get off my lawn kids, grandpa's going to go play the first Zelda again. Expand
  88. Dec 29, 2012
    Weak story and character development. Although the game is playable, there was no drive for me to continue due to a lack of incentive to do so. I forced myself to beat the game because I beat every Zelda game before this one.
  89. May 15, 2012
    Let me start off by saying I am a huge Legend of Zelda fan. After reading reviews and talking with friends it seemed certain that I would love this game. After my play through however I am left with a bitter taste in my mouth and can tell you without a doubt that I will never play this game again. I think that if you are not a Zelda fan stay away from this game. This game has taken muchLet me start off by saying I am a huge Legend of Zelda fan. After reading reviews and talking with friends it seemed certain that I would love this game. After my play through however I am left with a bitter taste in my mouth and can tell you without a doubt that I will never play this game again. I think that if you are not a Zelda fan stay away from this game. This game has taken much inspiration from modern MMOs and as such suffers from the same mediocrity that plagues that genre. The controls are terrible, the dialogue is bland and in every way that the game takes a step forward from itsâ Expand
  90. Jul 18, 2012
    The Zelda series was born of Shigeru Miyamoto's childhood adventures around the Kyoto countryside, where he would discover caves, lakes and most of all, the joy of exploration.

This has been retired in the latest instalment, where exploration and vast seamless worlds have been sacrificed completely in favour of rigid, isolated adventure 'arenas'. Gone are the open waters of Great Sea, the dusty sunsets of Hyrule Fields, the intriguing duality of the light and dark worlds. Hearken in three, tiny, boxed-off playgrounds.

And a sky, oh how could I forget the sky? Three-dozen floating rocks of varying degrees of pointlessness.

I found this title utterly disappointing. Not only is the exploration the series was born from gone, but we're graced with the most boring and vacant Link to date - who's only response to his charming new world is a series of awkward grunts.

Dull, forgettable music (Song of the Goddess is the only one that was memorable). An irritating and bland support character (especially when compared to Midna and Linebeck), awkward and unresponsive controls (flight...), and it pains me to say this, but ugly and dated graphics.

Perhaps standalone, this title would be alright, but not as a Zelda title. Not even close.
  91. Apr 8, 2012
    Worst game ever. Why the fu** do you have to fight that fu**ing black monster 3 times... first time "i really did not like that" second time " I fu**ing hate Nintendo" third time i stood up, took the game out went to the street, put it in the street, and ate popcorn as i watched it get run over by a car. I stopped the car and gave the driver 20$. I Hate Nintendo. They ruined the one game IWorst game ever. Why the fu** do you have to fight that fu**ing black monster 3 times... first time "i really did not like that" second time " I fu**ing hate Nintendo" third time i stood up, took the game out went to the street, put it in the street, and ate popcorn as i watched it get run over by a car. I stopped the car and gave the driver 20$. I Hate Nintendo. They ruined the one game I was addicted to. If your addicted to LoZ play this game if you want to get over it, if you don't well its to late for me. Expand
  92. Feb 24, 2012
    This appears to be one of those games you either love or hate. Unfortunately no matter how much I WANTED to love it... I just couldn't. Going into the game I had a hard time sticking with it I was so bored... Then suddenly everyone started reassuring me "Oh no it get's good about 20 hours in". 20 hours? A Zelda game that doesn't get good until 20 hours in? I'm sorry where is the memo thatThis appears to be one of those games you either love or hate. Unfortunately no matter how much I WANTED to love it... I just couldn't. Going into the game I had a hard time sticking with it I was so bored... Then suddenly everyone started reassuring me "Oh no it get's good about 20 hours in". 20 hours? A Zelda game that doesn't get good until 20 hours in? I'm sorry where is the memo that said Zelda would be taking lessons from Final Fantasy. But even with that I trudged through hoping to get to the promised "good" that was oh so deeply buried under a mountain of trash. Sadly almost at the end of the game... it just never came. Everything seemed like a big out of the way wild goose chase and nothing really flowed all that well at all. The flying controls were "wonky" at best for lack of a better word. Displaying every damned item I'd seen a hundred times before stopping in the middle of everything to show me picking it up, the explanation of the item and showing it being deposited in my bag just seemed so very needless... And Fi, don't even get me started on Fi. After being told where something is by the various goofy characters in the game of course Fi has to pop up and say THERE IS A 95% CHANCE THAT THING IS WHERE THEY JUST SAID. Oh... oh wow thanks, what ever would I do without you? Oh what's that? I'm low on hearts? I should probably find some? MAN, so THAT'S what that constant annoying beeping was! Ugh... I can't think of too many redeeming features of this game... I really can't. The entire thing just seems like a big chore. After the one point where I have to collect all those things under water I just stopped. I just couldn't take the monotony anymore. I'm glad there are many people that got more joy out of the game than I did, but it's still no Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess... or hell even a Wind Waker. It's just not Zelda in my eyes. Expand
  93. May 7, 2012
    Probably the WORST Zelda game ever created. Its fast travel system is completely stupid and a waste of time, the motion control's dont respond all the time and can be extremely frustrating when fighting an enemy. Previous Zelda games will always be the best. Then again, Nintendo will continue to milk the hell out of the franchise...
  94. Mar 16, 2012
    The only reason I'm writing this is because I just beat Skyward Sword and now I need to vent about the game... I was hoping to feel a sense of urgency or seriousness about the game like in the older Zelda games, but didn't feel like that was the case at all. Instead I felt more of a sense of awkwardness. The music was also awkwardly annoying throughout most of the game. The theme songThe only reason I'm writing this is because I just beat Skyward Sword and now I need to vent about the game... I was hoping to feel a sense of urgency or seriousness about the game like in the older Zelda games, but didn't feel like that was the case at all. Instead I felt more of a sense of awkwardness. The music was also awkwardly annoying throughout most of the game. The theme song to the game was the only exception. There were a number of other awkward parts in the game, but those were the two main disappointments about the game. The things I did enjoy was the use of the wii remote. Felt like it added a lot more to the gameplay. I also liked the actual story line and how it goes into more detail about how Link, Zelda, and Girham (or however you spell his name) are tied together.

Anyways, besides Mario Kart, Zelda is the only game I'm still hooked on from my childhood. I'll just have to give up on the new Zelda games and stick with Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time if I ever get the urge to play Zelda again!
  95. May 21, 2012
    This is the worst entry in the entire Zelda series that I have played. While they did try to do a few things to mix things up a bit, ultimately the game is utterly formulaic in the worst ways possible, and many of its innovations fail to actually be FUN.

The incorporation of motion controls into the game seems like a good idea, but unfortunately in practice they are extremely clunky. Flying around and swimming both use the motion controls, and while flying works decently (not great, but not horribly), swimming does not - the only good news is that you will hardly be swimming in the game, but the few times you do have to swim it becomes a bit frustrating. You can manage, but it just doesn't feel right. Fortunately, running around in 2D works just fine, but sadly your sword, too, uses the motion controls. This seems like a neat idea at first, but unfortunately it fails to deliver. While it works fine for the slashing and spin cuts, unfortunately stabbing doesn't work very well at all, doubly so when your shield is out, oftentimes coming out as the wrong kind of attack. This is deeply frustrating when you need for it to work. The only motion control that works well is your shield, which works completely flawlessly.

Your bow, oddly, does not take a cue from Wii Sports Resort (which actually did bow controls RIGHT as a minigame, and a fun one at that!) and sadly uses just the standard old point with the wiimote - this works alright, but is disappointing. Ultimately, the fact that most of your items use some weird mixture of motion controls and the IR sensor results in a very inconsistent feeling about the game, and it doesn't make you feel good - the motion controls constantly break immersion, which sucks. As the capstone of the Wii, this game tried to show that motion controls were a good idea, but failed utterly.

The rest of the game is also flawed. The enemies are very repetitive - there are very few types of enemies, and only a few of them are particularly interesting to fight. By about a third of the way through the game, you will have seen every enemy the game has to offer, and sadly (and more than a little bizzarely) the game repeats bosses incessantly - one of the bosses (Ghirahim) is fought three times, and really four times because the final boss (Demise) is very similar to Ghirahim, and actually probably more boring than him. The Imprisoned is a boss you fight three times, and the fights are simply not different enough to matter or to be very fun. At one point you fight him twice, back to back, and it is quite boring. While there are some fun enemies (Lizardfos are actually quite fun to fight, as are the skeleton enemies) overall the game repeats monsters far too much and by the end you are very tired of fighting the same old things for the upteenth time, bosses and normal baddies alike.

The story is also bad. Most people don't even know that the world is in trouble, let alone that you're saving it, and there is nothing about the story which is very gripping. The fact that you live on floating islands is pretty much entirely incidental to the plot - it is just the Hyrule Field of this game, and it is no more interesting. The flying hardly matters at all - at only one point in the entire game do you actually use your bird to fight a bad guy - and really was an idea which was utterly wasted on this game.

The only good thing about the game is the dungeons and the leadup to them; the Lanyru desert is actually fairly enjoyable and has some interesting ideas, and the beetle allows for some interesting puzzles. Sadly, they failed to exploit the beetle as well as they could and should have, and many of the new items (the blower and the whip) feel very pointless. Unfortunately, the hookshot (or should I say, the clawshot) is feeling increasingly this way as well - once a really neat piece of equipment, the heavily sanitized targeting (targets and vines) results in it feeling much less versatile, interesting, and useful. Thus you're left with the bow and the beetle as the cool items that you can do lots of stuff with - a disappointingly small list

The ultimate problem, though, is that Zelda has failed to evolve, learn, and grow. Darksiders is basically a Zelda game, but its combat was much better and the game was thus much more fun. But the real tragedy is that Batman: Arkham Asylum is a Zelda game - just think about it. Batman has many of the same items as link does (a hookshot/grapnel, bombs, he even has a boomerang!), and he runs around solving puzzles to progress through dungeons, but unlike Link he isn't groundbound, he is very mobile, the combat is interesting, and the gameplay overall is much better. When you realize just how far behind Zelda has fallen, you wonder why you'd ever play a game like Skyward Sword in the first place. And the answer is - you wouldn't.
  96. Nov 22, 2011
    Been playing this series since the first one on the NES, and this is a fairly solid entry to the Zelda series, but there are some problems. For one thing, I'm pretty sick of the motion controls for the sword, I'd like an option for classic zelda style controls. In heated combat the motion controls feel unresponsive, and many enemies require precision strikes to defeat. The shields feelBeen playing this series since the first one on the NES, and this is a fairly solid entry to the Zelda series, but there are some problems. For one thing, I'm pretty sick of the motion controls for the sword, I'd like an option for classic zelda style controls. In heated combat the motion controls feel unresponsive, and many enemies require precision strikes to defeat. The shields feel utterly useless, they take up a space in your 'adventure pouch' a separate inventory from your normal gear and have a durability meter. The shield is made even more useless by the fact that extreme aggression is usually the method required to defeat enemies, rarely you will encounter an enemy who requires you use the shield. An MMO style grinding mechanic has been introduced: acquire treasures to upgrade your items, most of these come from monster drops, which are randomized, so be ready to grind out some keese in a zelda game to make your shield slightly better. The first boss is very un-zelda-y and feels out of place, you don't even get a chance to use your first dungeon item against it. Instead, it will serve to emphasize how off the controls feel, as you try to move your sword to strike from another angle, only to have it counted as a swing, and get damaged for it. Additionally the "Navi"-like entity accompanying you somehow feels less helpful than Navi ever did. Most enemies you encounter will only have very barebones descriptions which can leave you guessing what you're doing wrong while you get pummeled and struggle against them and the controls. Some of the enemies such as the "Armos" can stunlock you for a good 3-4 hearts in a row, making you very frustrated. This is possibly the first zelda game where I've ever been stunlocked by an enemy that just camps my knocked down body and gets free hits in taking half my hearts. The boomerang appears to be missing, and replaced by a slow flying beetle robot, which has a much different functionality. The beetle is less of a in-combat weapon and more of an out of combat seeker missile/bomber/puzzle tool. All in all, it isn't a bad zelda game, but it really needs more options to allow you to fine tune the controls or completely disable the combat motion controls in favor of standard controller play. With the option to disable motion controls I would have no pressing complaints about this title, but sadly this is not the case. Expand
  97. Jan 11, 2012
    I've played this game for 10 hours and I seriously can't understand all the 10s this game is getting. Must be Nintendo employees or fanboys. This game can be extremely annoying at times. There is a lot of dialog in this game, but the dialog boxes are typed out so slowly and there's no way to speed them up. By itself this wouldn't be so bad, but they keep popping up with "helpful" hintsI've played this game for 10 hours and I seriously can't understand all the 10s this game is getting. Must be Nintendo employees or fanboys. This game can be extremely annoying at times. There is a lot of dialog in this game, but the dialog boxes are typed out so slowly and there's no way to speed them up. By itself this wouldn't be so bad, but they keep popping up with "helpful" hints which simply can't skip and in one case had to wait through 3 of them each time I had to reattempt a particular challenge which was so frustrating (just let me retry the challenge again already)! Also annoying is the dialog that is often forced on you when you enter an area or at the end of a fight. Even more annoying is when a NPC directs you to do something and the game forces you to do it on the spot without letting you run off to grab that heart of gem a monster dropped not far away first. If you run too far away from where you need to do this task, you get a dialog with the same directions again and get teleported back. The combat controls are annoying. For many enemies you have to angle your sword attack in a particular way, but it's too sensitive to the initial movement you make before you make the proper swing you actually intended to make, so it often takes a few attempts to make a simple horizontal attack for example. Also, throwing items requires a particular motion with the controller that never seems to work for me on the first attempt. And it's far too sensitive to the angle of the controller in order to power up your sword. On the other hand, simply shaking the controller is sufficient for most fights. The camera movements can also be a bit annoying at times. Having said all that, it's not a bad game. Yes, it's like the previous Zeldas in many ways, but that's what the fans expect and want and that's what they've delivered. Expand
  98. Jan 6, 2013
    I have played a long Zelda list games, but Im sure that this game is the worst Zelda in 3D. Only the Motion was excellent, but the other things, same and same the same thing. With a Lower difficulty, dungeons very easy and not workered.
    This is a poor Zelda production.
  99. Dec 4, 2011
    This is a fantastic Zelda game, without a doubt. The story is as rich as ever and accompanied by great characters (perhaps not a strong as Wind Waker's cast) and a stellar musical score. The controls have been entirely reworked to fit the Wii's Motion Plus and, for the most part, it works great. The art direction is gorgeous, having a water paint filter over distant objects. The bosses andThis is a fantastic Zelda game, without a doubt. The story is as rich as ever and accompanied by great characters (perhaps not a strong as Wind Waker's cast) and a stellar musical score. The controls have been entirely reworked to fit the Wii's Motion Plus and, for the most part, it works great. The art direction is gorgeous, having a water paint filter over distant objects. The bosses and swordfights in the game are a lot of fun, although it means that there are less enemies in favor of more challenging fights. However, the game is still pretty easy on the first run and the game doesn't have enough punishments for dying or failing a puzzle.

The overworld is a bit disappointing. Where Wind Waker had multiple creative islands, Skyward Sword has only a handful of platforms. There also only one town, which is saddening. There are only three different areas, each containing two dungeons centering around that regions climate and style. The dungeons themselves are fairly short, but there are usually pre-dungeon areas that you must go through to reach them. Boss Fights are vastly improved from the last console Zelda and practically ooze creativity.

As I said earlier, the motion controls work well for the most part. That doesn't mean they don't have issues. The pointer needs to be centered a couple dozen times each play session and you'll likely need to re-calibrate the motion plus two or three times. Even then, some swings are easily misread. Thrusts are near-impossible to do when in a combat situation and require the utmost concentration to pull off, which can be excruciatingly frustrating when an enemy requires such a strike. The nunchuk is very sensitive in the game and is used for two functions; Shield Thrusts and the Spin Attack. On more than one occasion I found myself accidently pulling out my shield when trying to scratch my nose or adjust glasses. My complaints are mostly just nit-picking, but it can be really annoying to die due to a misread swing.

Overall, Skyward Sword is totally worth a purchase at any price. The game is lengthy, filled with that Nintendo-style charm and topped off with some of the best music in the entire Zelda franchise. I hope Nintendo can fix some of the issues in the next game and give us one of the best Zelda's yet.
  100. Feb 5, 2012
    Being the first true Zelda game for Wii, any Wii owner should consider picking this up. The story is full of interesting characters and great cinematics, despite lacking voice acting. The game play itself is what really shines. Now the challenge is spread into the environment, meaning that you will be solving puzzles, completing tasks, and even acquiring items outside dungeons. Taking anBeing the first true Zelda game for Wii, any Wii owner should consider picking this up. The story is full of interesting characters and great cinematics, despite lacking voice acting. The game play itself is what really shines. Now the challenge is spread into the environment, meaning that you will be solving puzzles, completing tasks, and even acquiring items outside dungeons. Taking an idea from metroid, you will revisit areas with new equipment and at new points in the story to discover new areas. The controls are also great. The implication of Wii motion plus is not just a gimmick. It detects the actual direction the Wii remote is pointing/tilting, which is used to produce precise sword combat and other controls, such as riding your loftwing. The graphical style is actually art. Up close textures are clear and vivid but in the distance things appear like a painting, slowly coming into focus as you move closer. The only downsides are that some bosses are revisited too many times (ghirahim and the imprisoned have 3 forms!) which can get a bit repetitive. Also, the game could use a bit more exploration, voice acting, and the upgrade system, although a great idea, feels a bit grindy for a Zelda game. But all in all, this is my third favorite Zelda, behind A Link to the Past and in front of Majora's Mask. You owe it to yourself to give this a try. Collapse

#1 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2011
#1 Most Shared Wii Game of 2011

1. Feb 6, 2012
    Overall, this is the best experience I've had playing a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time and I'd have to say they are pretty equal in my opinion. Either way, you won't be disappointed getting this game, it's a masterpiece.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012
    New Zelda is the best game of whole series since the groundbreaking Ocarina of Time. It is a true masterpiece with uncompromising playability. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 19, 2012
    A magnificent homage for the 25th anniversary of one the biggest franchises in gaming, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword provides a compelling gaming and artistic showcase for the indefatigable potential of the medium as a whole, and a reason to have gaming as a hobby.