8.1

1. Apr 14, 2013
    I want to love this game. I really do. I've been a hardcore fan of the series since LttP. I bought the stupid wii motion plus and started up this game with my heart pumping and my hands quivering. I proceeded to be slapped in the friggen face with what they've done to my Zelda. After the first 3 temples, I quit entirely. It took my friend Rachael another 4 months to convince me to pick itI want to love this game. I really do. I've been a hardcore fan of the series since LttP. I bought the stupid wii motion plus and started up this game with my heart pumping and my hands quivering. I proceeded to be slapped in the friggen face with what they've done to my Zelda. After the first 3 temples, I quit entirely. It took my friend Rachael another 4 months to convince me to pick it up again, with the promise that it gets better. And she didn't lie. Some of the bosses (especially Four Arms McSamurai Robot) and level designs are GREAT! But the overall game just didn't hold up. I didn't feel like link, saving the world from evil. I felt like I was busting my way through dungeons, having my hand held by the most annoying character to grace the series. Navi pretty annoying. Fi holy godamn your are so annoying it is physically hurting me. She literally will interrupt the game to inform you that "bows shoot arrows", "keys go into locks", and my favorite, "I was beeping to let you know about the other beeping to let you know that your health is low". The controls were not 1:1, making the prequel to the final boss the most frustrating battle I have ever experienced. But then after that I killed the final boss with relative ease! And let's not forget that the cool Zelda races have been replaced with weird little penguin f**kers, and MOLE PEOPLE. SERIOUSLY. Hey game designers, Imma just put it out there, if you're looking for innovational character design, MOLE PEOPLE WILL NEVER BE IT!! Oh, and the bird sucks. Theres minimal air combat and the over world is too big to be flying uselessly along. I want Epona back. I get it. I really do, it's supposed to be new and creative. I just don't caaaare. It sucked, gimme back Epona. And give me back the ADVENTURE! This game was so "on the rails" it made me feel like I was playing a LoZ mod of an FPS. The side quests were all silly grind fests with no real merit. If this wasn't a Zelda game, I would give it at least a 7. But I had certain expectations from this, and they just weren't met. As a kid who grew up defeating Ganondorf, memorizing the songs, collecting all the mask to become the fierce diety, and riding over the fields of Hyrule on my beloved horse, this was not what I was hoping for. But it looks like they'll get the next game right so far! Expand
  2. Apr 11, 2013
    Skyward swords has a lot of good points but also a few bad points. lets start off with the good.

The first thing that is brilliant with SS are the characters. Legend of Zelda has never had such a lovable cast. Even the robotic Fi will be pulling at your heart strings by the end of the game. Zelda has never been so likeable. She is full of personality and I actually cared much more about saving her.

The next great thing about it, is the story. Nintendo wisely chose to tell the true origin story of Zelda and why you are in the position you are in. You truly feel like this important character, and it drives you to play the game to your full potential. The story is only made better by the brilliant cast

The next thing that is wonderful in SS is the graphics and the sound. The mix of wind wakers cell shadedness and twilight princess mature world, gives Skyward sword an identity that can truly be known as the best look for Legend of Zelda. The music n the game is also the best it has ever been, mainly because it is fully orchestrated and the new themes fit perfectly within the context of the story and characters. "Fi's farewell" is my favourite track.

Now for the bad aspect. the structure of game play. Due to the limitations of the Wii Nintendo has created a world made up of four large areas. They are all wonderful locations and Nintendo should be commended for crafting such a brilliant world. The issue is you will be travelling back and forth so much between these locations that they get quite dull

Overall Skyward sword has become my favourite Legend of Zelda game, and one of my favourite games ever. Nintendo has created something truly special. I give it a well deserved 9 out of 10
  3. Apr 6, 2013
    Ive yet to play a zelda game i would not give a 10 to. So maybe im biased. From nes to now its amazing how far we have came link and I. And honestly this is my number 2 on my list. Wind waker was my pick cause of how different it was. But thats how this shines. Its windwaker but in the sky, and the controls make your really feel they put time into the game. Turn your remote or aim in upIve yet to play a zelda game i would not give a 10 to. So maybe im biased. From nes to now its amazing how far we have came link and I. And honestly this is my number 2 on my list. Wind waker was my pick cause of how different it was. But thats how this shines. Its windwaker but in the sky, and the controls make your really feel they put time into the game. Turn your remote or aim in up and his hand follows. Small details like that really show the bun in the oven is nice and toasty. Expand
  4. Mar 29, 2013
    Fi: Thank you.
    Me in tears: No, Fi, thank you for everything.

The most equally beautiful and saddest moment in any game I've ever played.
    This game is a work of art and the absolute pinnacle of Nintendo.
  5. Ebu
    Mar 25, 2013
    This game is brilliant. I mean anyone who has had problems with the controls are either cheating, don't realize what they should do or the remote is broken. The gameplay is immersive in which you have to plan your attacks more than in any other Zelda game before. What also makes this game excellent is it's story. It's simple yet engaging. The villains are great in their own way and LinkThis game is brilliant. I mean anyone who has had problems with the controls are either cheating, don't realize what they should do or the remote is broken. The gameplay is immersive in which you have to plan your attacks more than in any other Zelda game before. What also makes this game excellent is it's story. It's simple yet engaging. The villains are great in their own way and Link somehow is still my favourite character. So in short, this game is almost perfect. Sure it has it's faults but there isn't a single game this long without any problem. A 10- out of 10. Expand
  6. Mar 25, 2013
    Skyward Sword has impressed me since the start. I bought the Wii Remote Plus for this game and I was not dissapointed when I finally got to play it. There are tons of positive things I could say about it, but I'll just say a few. First of all, it has beautiful graphics... and considering the limited specifications for the Wii, it's still a pretty good looking game. The motion controlsSkyward Sword has impressed me since the start. I bought the Wii Remote Plus for this game and I was not dissapointed when I finally got to play it. There are tons of positive things I could say about it, but I'll just say a few. First of all, it has beautiful graphics... and considering the limited specifications for the Wii, it's still a pretty good looking game. The motion controls worked very smoothly and added an extra sense of action to the game. The enemies and boss battles were fun and quite challenging at times. The world and dungeon designs were stellar as well. I am a big Zelda fan and this game has stood out as probably the best Zelda game ever for me. 10/10 from me. Expand
  7. Mar 25, 2013
    This game is truly amazing. The graphics are the best Ive ever seen out of any game for the Wii. Even if your not a Zelda fan this game is absolutely incredible. I actually purchased a Wii just to play this. This game is a must have.
  8. Mar 24, 2013
    After thoroughly enjoying Twilight Princess, I felt that Skyward Sword had some pretty high standards to meet. Unfortunately, it did not deliver this time around. Too much repetition and backtracking in the gameplay got old really fast. Also, utilizing the Wii Motion Plus was a good thing but a bad thing at the same time. Sometimes the controls made sense while other times they were justAfter thoroughly enjoying Twilight Princess, I felt that Skyward Sword had some pretty high standards to meet. Unfortunately, it did not deliver this time around. Too much repetition and backtracking in the gameplay got old really fast. Also, utilizing the Wii Motion Plus was a good thing but a bad thing at the same time. Sometimes the controls made sense while other times they were just ridiculously frustrating. Overall, Skyward Sword is an "okay" installment, but if you are looking for this one to be up there with some of the most memorable Zelda games, I recommend passing on this one. Expand
  9. Mar 17, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game. Great design and art style. Working motion control. Memorable characters. Great upgrade system. Great interface. WONDERFUL STORY. Though, I wish the game had dungeons in the sky over world. Though they fit a lot of content into a fairly linear surface world. My favorite game of all time though. A must buy on the wii.
  10. Mar 14, 2013
    This is the best example of Motion Controls to date and shows that fantastic game design can lead to solid motion controls, they are not perfect with some registering issues but this is very rare, Motion Controls are used to control your sword and shield as well as your items which include many things like a Bow, bombs, a flying beetle just to name a few, they all control very well.

The

The story is arguably one of the best to come for The Legend of Zelda series, It's very cinematic and provides an origin story for the series, the characters are great and the game will last you about 40-50 hours just playing the main story depending on how well you play, there are some great puzzles to figure out and the enemies in the game are sort of like puzzles themselves with you having to figure out how to get to there weak points.

Nintendo manages to take the Wii hardware and make a game absolutely beautiful with a watercolor painting sort of design, it is very impressive for a game not in HD. It is easily one of the best titles for Wii and a testament to the fact that motion controls can work if a game is designed properly to take advantage of them, Nintendo achieved what they set out to do with the Wii back in 2006. There is so much to say about this game that I could go on forever, but if you have a Wii or Wii U then pick this game up you will not regret it.
  11. Mar 13, 2013
    Amazing!! Great all around, unless you are clumsy with a wii mote haha. I have the presence of mind to not ask for hints or read the tips, so I don't have the problem of it "holding my hand" too much. I am pretty good with a wii mote, so combat is fun. I loved the art style, music, and tendency to stray from the formula a bit. The stats of Fi are just for effect, and are obviously nothingAmazing!! Great all around, unless you are clumsy with a wii mote haha. I have the presence of mind to not ask for hints or read the tips, so I don't have the problem of it "holding my hand" too much. I am pretty good with a wii mote, so combat is fun. I loved the art style, music, and tendency to stray from the formula a bit. The stats of Fi are just for effect, and are obviously nothing more than to give her a robotic feel. Overall amazing game!! Expand
  12. Mar 11, 2013
    I recently beat Skyward Sword for the second time on hero mode and I have to say It has now become one of my favourite zelda games. Many people misjudge it just because the art style. But once you start to get into the story you realize that art style caters to the feel of the game. This game has so much emotion that as the player you feel everything. Every smile Link gives, you feelI recently beat Skyward Sword for the second time on hero mode and I have to say It has now become one of my favourite zelda games. Many people misjudge it just because the art style. But once you start to get into the story you realize that art style caters to the feel of the game. This game has so much emotion that as the player you feel everything. Every smile Link gives, you feel happy. Happy that you got through that obstacle. Every time you help someone or you complete a task you feel a sense of achievement.

Other Zelda games do have you feel that sense of achievement but I feel no Zelda games makes you feel as Link feels. And I applaud Nintendo for being able to do this.

So to everyone who didn't give the game a chance based on the wii mote or the art style. Play it and feel as Link does; The chosen hero of the godess. www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dn6xN_lWW2Fw&h=YAQHPyeit
  13. Mar 7, 2013
    I just can't work this game out. There is massive critical acclaim for this game but I honestly can't see why. Critics and audiences praised the control system, why? The pointer controls are too unresponsive and keep requiring you to recenter them, the motion controls are not tight enough and quite frustrating. Gameplay feels lighter than previous Zelda's due to the motion controlI just can't work this game out. There is massive critical acclaim for this game but I honestly can't see why. Critics and audiences praised the control system, why? The pointer controls are too unresponsive and keep requiring you to recenter them, the motion controls are not tight enough and quite frustrating. Gameplay feels lighter than previous Zelda's due to the motion control implementation it's like Wii Sports with a story. Plot is hardly a black sheep in the Zelda universe, it isn't clever in it's execution, Nintendo just made up a story about the origins of the Master Sword and made players think that the story had existed throughout the franchises history, quite cheap really. Locations are generic...but NO ICE WORLD!!!! WHAT??? It's like Super Mario Sunshine all over again, saying that, the Lanayru Desert segments are some of the series finest. Returning to the comment about being 'cheap', some elements in the game feel as though they were taken straight from other game series' such as Resident Evil and Ninja Gaiden. In several segments you have to defeat hordes/waves of identical enemies just to proceed to the next area with only your sword motion movements as the only form of variety. The watercolour art style is luscious but it's personally not my favourite look for Zelda. There are a lot of smart puzzles in the game but experienced Zelda gamers will find them disappointingly easy, perhaps offensively so. The boss fights rarely impress but when they do, they really do. The game is long but this is mainly due to repetitive and uninspiring fetch/collecting quests, the average player could clock around 20-30 hours.

Graphics: 8.5/10
    Gameplay: 6/10
    Features: 5/10

The WORST Zelda game ever made to date! Lazy controls, basic design and cheap tactics can't be disguised behind Skyward Sword's appealing art style. A thorough disappointment in my opinion. I'm sticking with Twilight Princess and waiting for Wind Waker HD.
  14. Mar 3, 2013
    This was by far the worst Zelda game for me. It just seemed like it was made for a different age group than Im in (born 1990). It lacked the dark parts of the story that Twilight Princess had. This made the game feel a lot more like a kids game, without the depth and mature parts of Links adventure. It really felt like they wanted to adjust the game to fit lower ages. This was shown alsoThis was by far the worst Zelda game for me. It just seemed like it was made for a different age group than Im in (born 1990). It lacked the dark parts of the story that Twilight Princess had. This made the game feel a lot more like a kids game, without the depth and mature parts of Links adventure. It really felt like they wanted to adjust the game to fit lower ages. This was shown also in the "cartoony" choice of art style and design of the characters. Comparing Zelda in Skyward Sword to Zelda in Twilight Princess, Zelda looks like a kids manga character.

On the technical part, the motion controls werent very precise and became frustrating after a while. Sometimes you just want to sink down the couch and slip into the world of Zelda.

I cant say much about the graphics, its down to the hardware. Though I did feel this game felt extra blurry with the chosen art style. The gameplay was alright, parts of it was very enjoyable. The game did seem a bit too easy once beaten it and there was no real urge to go back for the stuff you missed either. It would have been nice with some more sword upgrades. For future games:
    * Make the motion controls optional, with support for the Wii U pro controller.
    * Blend dark, mature environments with the colourful and fantasy inspired.
    * Make the characters with more realism inspiration. I'm thinking lord of the rings, not realism as in watching TV. We can push it much much further before it becomes "too realistic".
    * DONT MAKE ZELDA INTO ANOTHER KIDS GAME PLEASE! YOU HAVE SO MANY ALREADY!
  15. Mar 2, 2013
    My favorite game yet, we'll deserving of a ten. The art style is amazing, motion controls are the best of any game I've ever played, the wii at its finest. It has a slow start, but the ending, which in my opinion is the best in the series, more than makes up for it. The overworld, although a bit restrictive, is awesome, like one huge mini-dungeon. With the exclusion of the lanayruMy favorite game yet, we'll deserving of a ten. The art style is amazing, motion controls are the best of any game I've ever played, the wii at its finest. It has a slow start, but the ending, which in my opinion is the best in the series, more than makes up for it. The overworld, although a bit restrictive, is awesome, like one huge mini-dungeon. With the exclusion of the lanayru province, the overworld and its inhabitants didn't make you care for them quite as much games like tp and OOT, and that could have been made a bit better, but the main driving motive of the game more than makes up for the slightly less immersive world. Honestly the best game I've ever played, even though it had some minor flaws. If tp and this had a baby, then it would be perfect, but this alone is pretty close. 10/10. Expand
  16. Mar 1, 2013
    I don't believe in rambling, so I'm going to review the game as a list of pros and cons. Hopefully none of it seems petulant or nitpicky. Here goes:
    Pros:
    Controls, while a little stiff at times and tending to fall into premade animations, are for the most part very intuitive and fun to use. There is no denying that fighting even basic enemies has ever been this fun in a Zelda game. Art
    Pros:
    Art (or perhaps art design), soundtrack, and overall polish are incredibly high, exceptions made of course for the limitations on the art imposed by the Wii being 6-year-old hardware.
    Storyline (for once) tries something new and succeeds.
    Has the Beetle. 10/10 game of the year best Zelda thingy.

Cons (here comes the whining):
    No overworld whatsoever- gameplay is very clearly divided into The Surface, where Things Get Done, and The Sky, where There's Clouds I Guess. The only area you'll ever have to visit outside of the surface is Skyloft.
    Bird is easy but frustrating to control and serves little purpose except to get from point A to point B. Compare to Epona in Twilight Princess, where some battles take place entirely on horseback and are actually really fun to play in and of themselves!
    Dungeon design, while still Zelda (read: amazing), pales in comparison to Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess. Boss fights are simple and boss design is simpler. Two bosses are fought 3 different times, many of them have a very low level of detail (Scaldera, anyone?), and even the final boss is pitifully easy.
    By comparison, normal enemies are arduous, as most of the challenge in basic fights is simply waiting for the enemy to drop their guard.
    Environments, temple or otherwise, while beautiful, tend to put form over function (read: sealed grounds, giant spiral that serves no purpose except to teach you how to hold down the A button).

Overall? Definitely not worthy of the hate it gets, but not worth the praise either. If anything, it is a perfect example of how too much polish can make a game thoroughly average- something Nintendo has been doing an awful lot recently. An absurdly clean and weirdly streamlined experience that could have been great in execution but failed in conceptualization.
    Now stop reading this review and go play Ocarina of Time again.
  17. Mar 1, 2013
    An OK game in the series. It seemed to target the a new younger crowd, after going after the more mature with Twilight Princess. This seemed pretty obvious with the rating e10+ (for everyone above 10 years old), compared to Twilight Princess T (for teen).

I was not a fan of the art style, which seemed too "cartoony" and too far from realism. Some people are scared of too much realism, but I cant say Im one of them. I would love to see Zelda fuse with skyrim, offering both colourful environments and dark. I do not think realism would ruin the fantasy feeling. I would like Zelda to be the game version of Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings (visually)!

The gameplay is pretty good and I didnt get bored at any part of the game. That has ever happened in any Zelda game though! For a Zelda

The motion controls work the best in this game so far, but its still not great. The input lag and lack of preciseness is still enough to put me off. Id love to see the option to use a regular controller (Wii U pro controller) in the upcoming game. I also miss the times when I could lay in bed sunday mornings and slip into the world of Zelda. The motion controls pretty much ruined that experience. To summarise its a good game, but acording to me the worst instalment in the 3d series. There are plenty of games for the younger crowds, please give us Zelda fans what we want!
  18. Feb 26, 2013
    La verdad que es un juego que realmente me enamoro. Su arte, su historia TODO. En este zelda se notan las expresiones de los rostros cuando sienten alguna emoción, las gráficas para ser de Wii, son bastante bellas, su jugabilidad es perfecta capaz que con algún que otro fallo pero sigue siendo perfecta, la historia emociona los personajes son de lo mejor el arte que tiene es hermosoLa verdad que es un juego que realmente me enamoro. Su arte, su historia TODO. En este zelda se notan las expresiones de los rostros cuando sienten alguna emoción, las gráficas para ser de Wii, son bastante bellas, su jugabilidad es perfecta capaz que con algún que otro fallo pero sigue siendo perfecta, la historia emociona los personajes son de lo mejor el arte que tiene es hermoso como dije un juego que me enamoro. Capaz que no tiene un mundo abierto como en ocarina of time ni te podes sentir libre por ahí pero la verdad que sigue siendo perfecto. En fin The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, es una obra de arte sin dudas y para aquellos que posean una Wii y no tengan este increíble juego les pregunto ¿Que esperan para comprarlo Expand
  19. Feb 21, 2013
    Somehow, this feels more like Studio Ghibli than even "Ni No Kuni." I adore the art design and graphics of the game so much, it's probably my second favorite looking "Zelda" behind only "Ocarina of Time." Awesomely enough, how incredible it looks is matched (and often exceeded) by its great storytelling, pace, and controls. I don't think I ever became more emotionally invested in aSomehow, this feels more like Studio Ghibli than even "Ni No Kuni." I adore the art design and graphics of the game so much, it's probably my second favorite looking "Zelda" behind only "Ocarina of Time." Awesomely enough, how incredible it looks is matched (and often exceeded) by its great storytelling, pace, and controls. I don't think I ever became more emotionally invested in a "Zelda"... or any solely Nintendo title, come to think of it. There are moments when the plot beats and the music accompanying them are simply awe-inspiring. I'm also in the camp that firmly believes its place in "Zelda" mythos as the first chronologically (and how the rest of the games fit together because of it) is genius. There's no other word for it except genius. I never thought it possible to logically and practically link every game in this series, but so help me, it REALLY works! However, I do have a rather large problem with "Skyward" that cannot be ignored (and is the only reason I didn't rate it a 10): it's insanely easy in every area (save combat) and it never allows itself to become more complicated at any point before it ends. With every quest, puzzle, and whatnot, you have Fi giving you advice and flat-out hints and, as if that's not enough, there's those miserable stones that basically reveal everything to you if you so inquire. It's ridiculous to me, considering the very foundation of the "Zeldas" is exploration and discovery. It's a shame Nintendo also decided to carry this ability to find out everything about everything without having to do anything over to the 3D release of the aforemenioned "Ocarina" (the reason the N64 version is still the ace). Expand
  20. Feb 6, 2013
    Skyward sword may not be HD but this game spews perfection.The beautiful impresionistic art style,the intriguing dungeon ,an the best story to date on any zelda game.This is hands down an outstanding game 10/10.
  21. Jan 24, 2013
    This games motion controls were so bad I didn't even want to play to the first dungeon. I didn't like the art style, but it was better than Wind Wakers. The controls killed it.
  22. Jan 14, 2013
    This is a odd ball type of Zelda game sort of. Although I half to admit the visuals are amazing! The water color backgrounds and foregrounds make this game visually genius! The story is a bit flat and faded at times you really wonder what you are working to achieve in this game as it goes all over the place at times. The upgrades are fun and stamina bar is great although I feelt it shouldThis is a odd ball type of Zelda game sort of. Although I half to admit the visuals are amazing! The water color backgrounds and foregrounds make this game visually genius! The story is a bit flat and faded at times you really wonder what you are working to achieve in this game as it goes all over the place at times. The upgrades are fun and stamina bar is great although I feelt it should have lasted longer. The dungeons are ok at times but seem to be a little let down for what I was looking for. The bosses are decent. Overall a decent Zelda game but not the best. I do love the art work though! Expand
  23. Jan 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best game I've ever completed and the longest at that too. Heck you don't even complete the game after you beat the final boss and finish the story so I'm yet to continue on.

The gameplay is decent, nothing amazing, but you'll notice from the start that SS is a game that uses the Wiimote to the best of it's ability.

Anyone who hasn't played or completed this game is missing out.
  24. Jan 12, 2013
    This is the worst Nintendo Zelda I've ever played (and I've played them all), that doesn't mean it's a bad game, it just isn't GREAT. What scares me the most about this game is all these 10 out of 10s, the lack of honesty and sheer blind fan boy attitudes will keep this game series from developing in a positive direction and that scares and saddens me. Anyway my review:

I love this game

I love this game because: The artistic style, the aiming controls (for slingshot etc), the story line is very strong, the Japanese style voice acting, the setting of the game, the bug hunting, the new tools/equipment.

I hate this game because: The sword motion controls suck, and hinder my enjoyment. The support character Fi is annoying, she's more annoying than Navi. The game holds your hand constantly, repeating instructions way too many times. The game tells you constantly about the items you're picking up if you've loaded a save (for example, I have 39 sacred bugs, I KNOW WHAT THEY ARE) and you can't skip or speed up these explanations. The constant dungeon feel, linearity and lack of exploration (and lack of exploration reward). Finally the music is terrible with only Skyloft and Ballad of the Goddess being remotely catchy. The harp stuff is awful too.

Overall I don't hate this game but I'm getting bored 25 hours in, I just want to finish it now and find out what happens. I'm expecting many people to disagree with my review but I certainly hope Nintendo pay attention to more level headed reviews like mine.
  25. Jan 11, 2013
    I wasn't particularly fond of Twilight Princess and how it implemented the Wii controllers, so I was initially skeptic about Skyward Sword. This game ended up surpassing my expectations immensely. I now consider it nearly tied in greatness with Ocarina of Time (my all-time favorite Zelda game). Visually stunning, accurate and innovative controllers, tremendous gameplay. Do NOT pass this game up.
  26. Jan 6, 2013
    I have played a long Zelda list games, but Im sure that this game is the worst Zelda in 3D. Only the Motion was excellent, but the other things, same and same the same thing. With a Lower difficulty, dungeons very easy and not workered.
    This is a poor Zelda production.
  27. CJR
    Jan 5, 2013
    Having played nearly all the previous titles over the years, this title had the bar set quite high and I believe nintendo in-house is able to do better. Frankly Twilight Princess was better, I thought the over-world design was just plain lazy and the backtracking through the same areas was a little bit boring.

While there are plenty of good and bad things about this title comparing it

While there are plenty of good and bad things about this title comparing it with it's predecessors and expectations for a zelda title, there were good things to, swordplay was new and took getting used to, this game had one of the best boss battles in a zelda game ever, and the graphical styling was too gimmicky and a side step rather than a step forward.

If this title was not a zelda game, I would have reviewed differently and more positively, If you have never played a zelda title, this is a great game to get into it with, it is more of the same of what has made it good since the 90's and has a decent story with the bare essential dialog from very well animated characters. As a zelda outsider 9/10 - a top wii title and must have for any system owner

As a zelda veteran 6.5/10 - a new chapter of the Link attempts to save hyrule with the usual characters, alot of newcomers and condensed, creative new locations.
  28. Jan 5, 2013
    This is my favourite game of all time. No lie. I love Zelda games since Ocarina of Time and this is the best of 'em. It uses the Wii remote in creative, unique en mostly NOT gimmicky ways. The Sword combat was a blast, Ghirahim was awesome and the temples were the best. The overworld was boring though and there were quite a lot of things wrong with this game (I have my own website were IThis is my favourite game of all time. No lie. I love Zelda games since Ocarina of Time and this is the best of 'em. It uses the Wii remote in creative, unique en mostly NOT gimmicky ways. The Sword combat was a blast, Ghirahim was awesome and the temples were the best. The overworld was boring though and there were quite a lot of things wrong with this game (I have my own website were I wrote a longer review I'm not going to name all bad things here) but Skyward Sword is so charming and so innovative, yet still Zelda in every way. Not perfect, I know, but defenitly an amazing game. Expand
  29. Jan 4, 2013
    Skyward Sword is a game of bests and worsts. Its motion controls are everything Nintendo promised, and a feature that should be carried over to future titles. Where it fails is in its mise en scene, variety and atmosphere. Repetition of the same areas and flying across the sky (to islands that, unlike Wind Waker, often hold little secrets) takes away the game's potential majesty, and theSkyward Sword is a game of bests and worsts. Its motion controls are everything Nintendo promised, and a feature that should be carried over to future titles. Where it fails is in its mise en scene, variety and atmosphere. Repetition of the same areas and flying across the sky (to islands that, unlike Wind Waker, often hold little secrets) takes away the game's potential majesty, and the music, while amazing in some places, is dull and repetitive in the fields of the game's main areas. The story, while suitably complex, lacks any visible threat within the game world to compel the player. That said, the areas, though repeated, are well-designed and hold many secrets. In short, it is a game whose brilliant parts cannot quite make up for its letdowns. Expand
  30. Jan 1, 2013
    Let's start with the positive. For those of you who don't know this game is the first zelda game in chronological order. I'm not gonna bore with the Zelda timeline so let's go to gameplay. I had high expectations for this game and from the beginning to the end of the first dungeon, those expectations were met. Almost one to one tracking with the sword, interesting new items with new waysLet's start with the positive. For those of you who don't know this game is the first zelda game in chronological order. I'm not gonna bore with the Zelda timeline so let's go to gameplay. I had high expectations for this game and from the beginning to the end of the first dungeon, those expectations were met. Almost one to one tracking with the sword, interesting new items with new ways to play. That came at a price though. CALIBRATION. There is so much calibration in this game because the Wii MotionPlus gets uncalibrated so easily. I don't have the Wii RemotePlus so I don't know if that's better. So even though we have the amazing one to one sword tracking and the (tricky to master) different techniques for different enemies, I can't say I enjoyed playing the game because of the endless calibrating. I much prefer games like Ocarina of time and Majora's Mask because it's not tedious and that makes it fun. There's a line between fair but hard and then just overly annoying and Skyward Sword falls into the overly annoying section. This bit is personal so I'm not gonna take marks of for this but I've met a lot of people with the same game experience as me so I should. I said that it was "fun" until the end of the first dungeon/temple. That's when the game didn't become hard just, I didn't know what to do. I had to look up a guide literally every 5 mins. That was the thing that made me put down the game and say no. Expand
  31. Dec 31, 2012
    The beginning of the legend. Skyward Sword to me happens to be the best Zelda game since "Majora's Mask". The Nintendo Wii was made for the experience using motion controls, and Skyward Sword is one of very few games on the Wii which happens to get the motion controls working correctly. The game suffers from linearity like the majority of the latest Nintendo games--not a terribleThe beginning of the legend. Skyward Sword to me happens to be the best Zelda game since "Majora's Mask". The Nintendo Wii was made for the experience using motion controls, and Skyward Sword is one of very few games on the Wii which happens to get the motion controls working correctly. The game suffers from linearity like the majority of the latest Nintendo games--not a terrible thing--not for me, though you may be turned off due to the linearity. Skyward Sword focuses more on combat and puzzle solving than any other Zelda game to date. Being the origin of the entire Zelda universe, it would've thought to have been lacking a great plot and story, though Skyward Sword soars and does offer a rather lovely tale. The overall appearance of the game which is completely subject is a bit of a problem. When half of the people who play the game consider the game to look "bad" or "not my thing" there will be problems. Imagine both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess mixed in one--pretty freaky. The core fans will either love it or hate it while the average fan will generally accept it...it's been a bad run for the series due to (in my opinion) the poor releases Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Nintendo learned from their mistakes, though made mistakes in other areas. Expand
  32. Dec 29, 2012
    Weak story and character development. Although the game is playable, there was no drive for me to continue due to a lack of incentive to do so. I forced myself to beat the game because I beat every Zelda game before this one.
  33. Dec 23, 2012
    Fantastic game really really good, it contains some puzzle elements like in Link to the Past (SNES), and some RPG like the SNES game Secret of Mana had back in the days, with this game the makers combined the best of Ocarina of Time and The Wind Maker/Minish Cap, with a new original story, great colors and the Wii Motion Plus remote that give it another dimension. For me it was fun fromFantastic game really really good, it contains some puzzle elements like in Link to the Past (SNES), and some RPG like the SNES game Secret of Mana had back in the days, with this game the makers combined the best of Ocarina of Time and The Wind Maker/Minish Cap, with a new original story, great colors and the Wii Motion Plus remote that give it another dimension. For me it was fun from since I started. Personally I wasn't to happy with Twilight Princess but this game is 100% up my street. This is the game that you can't stop playing until you finish it. :-P Expand
  34. Dec 15, 2012
    This game has it's good parts and bad parts. The reason I got this game was because many big game review companies were putting out 10/10 for this game. Maybe I just don't like this genre (this is the first Zelda game I have played), but I just didn't like it as much as most reviewers.

The graphics: This game is not bad to look at, but it just doesn't stand out above any other games I have played. The characters and creatures are animated nicely.

The controls: The controls took me a long time to get used to. However, the sword-swinging with the Wii motion plus is amazing. With my own experience, it responded with little lag and very accurately. Shaking the nunchuck to use a shield bash was also well implemented.

The sound: The music is nice, but it didn't stand out all that much either. I do think that some of links voice clips are quite funny. if you accidentally burn yourself in lava, then you will know what I am talking about.

The gameplay: I found it lacking at some points. Sometimes, quite boring. I would often explore for a very long time with very few enemies to battle. Some of the puzzles had answers that took a very long time for me to figure out. Sometimes I would try looking for a hint online, and then I figured out that the reason why I didn't solve the puzzle was because of a small detail that wasn't very obvious. Battling is fun, and I did enjoy the boss fights.

The story: The story is one of the strong points. I found it (at least the parts I have played through) to be emotional, and the cut scenes are well animated.

Maybe I don't like this genre of games, but make sure to read many reviews to see if you want to play this game.
  35. Dec 14, 2012
    Honestly this game is the best I have played in years. "The controls, as long as you correctly calibrate them every time you boot the game, work flawlessly. Honestly I am really disappointed in humanity with all these trolls. The gameplay is flaw less, and it is paced very good from the start, a first for Zelda! The soundtrack is loads better than Twilight Princess, and the gameplay is noHonestly this game is the best I have played in years. "The controls, as long as you correctly calibrate them every time you boot the game, work flawlessly. Honestly I am really disappointed in humanity with all these trolls. The gameplay is flaw less, and it is paced very good from the start, a first for Zelda! The soundtrack is loads better than Twilight Princess, and the gameplay is no longer button mashing. The must own game for Wii. Expand
  36. Dec 2, 2012
    Hands down the best Zelda game! The controls were perfect i didn't have any trouble using them at all. The graphics are one of the best things about this game, they were so good and it seemed that objects far away looked like paintings but when they came closer they came into detail. Everything about this game was great right down to the story. A must buy for anyone.
  37. Dec 1, 2012
    Best Zelda ever and I love the beetle and story. In the word of Lord Ghirahim "This is our Thread of Fate."
    Zelda even makes repitition fun. The only con to this game is I want to sword fight on my bird. Overall outstanding motion plus title.
  38. Nov 20, 2012
    A good game but a bad Zelda game. Zelda is held to higher standards than other franchises and this is just a step backwards. The variety in enemies is low, the combat is boring and consists of waggling your wiimote for most enemies, the dungeons are short and easy, it's extremely linear, and there is too much back tracking.
  39. Nov 18, 2012
    All I can realy say is it's amazing. The Game is just brilliant in Story wise and Music Wise but the motion controls could of been better as you always had to calabrate the remote. Verdict: An Amazing game for Nintendo and Zelda fans as the Story is great but if you don't like motion controls this game is not for you. A must have game in your collection.The graphics are the best the wiiAll I can realy say is it's amazing. The Game is just brilliant in Story wise and Music Wise but the motion controls could of been better as you always had to calabrate the remote. Verdict: An Amazing game for Nintendo and Zelda fans as the Story is great but if you don't like motion controls this game is not for you. A must have game in your collection.The graphics are the best the wii can handle and the art style is amazing.
    Presentation:10/10 Gameplay:9/10 Sound:10/10 Graphics:10/10 Replay Value:10/10 Overall:9/10
  40. Nov 16, 2012
    Zelda, what an inspiration this series has become. We look to you not only as an originator of a whole subset of gaming but to perfectly encapsulate and immortalise transvestites as not only being people, but being heroes. Only perhaps with Kirby, another fine Nintendo creation, have we seen a long standing transexual role-playing series. To this I say Nintendo should be given a hugeZelda, what an inspiration this series has become. We look to you not only as an originator of a whole subset of gaming but to perfectly encapsulate and immortalise transvestites as not only being people, but being heroes. Only perhaps with Kirby, another fine Nintendo creation, have we seen a long standing transexual role-playing series. To this I say Nintendo should be given a huge hurrah by the greater community for their ability to radically change the way we think. For anyone, be they man or woman, or one that identifies better as the other, can be a hero to all. Expand
  41. Nov 16, 2012
    Marvelous. It's motion control actually works as if the Wii was only made for this game. There's certainly Nintendo-magic in here. The game-play is clever and tricky, but exciting with a story that keeps you alive. The rewards are extremely satisfying, which motivates you to move on till the game ends. The game might feel like a chore, but that feeling can be covered up by doing missionsMarvelous. It's motion control actually works as if the Wii was only made for this game. There's certainly Nintendo-magic in here. The game-play is clever and tricky, but exciting with a story that keeps you alive. The rewards are extremely satisfying, which motivates you to move on till the game ends. The game might feel like a chore, but that feeling can be covered up by doing missions at the hub, which are usually short and fun. I crown this game a big 'must-have'. Expand
  42. Nov 15, 2012
    The game is very good. It has great dungeons, great boss fights, great gameplay, basically everything you expect from a good zelda game, there is just one... little... problem.... The game doesn't have enough exploring. I enjoyed how in Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, and Twilight Princess you could explore the lands of Hyrule. The game takes most of the exploration in the sky whichThe game is very good. It has great dungeons, great boss fights, great gameplay, basically everything you expect from a good zelda game, there is just one... little... problem.... The game doesn't have enough exploring. I enjoyed how in Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, and Twilight Princess you could explore the lands of Hyrule. The game takes most of the exploration in the sky which contains mostly small islands with little to do on them. I did find it fun to fly really high then dismount and dive straight down and catch my mount again. The game also involves revisiting the same areas multiple times, which isn't that bad since each area looks really nice, but it again doesn't promote enough exploring. The game overall is really good. Maybe in the top 5 for some people, but most wouldn't put it near Ocarina of Time. Expand
  43. Nov 11, 2012
    THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!!! Ya wanna know why cuz this game has a really good soundtrack, comedy, drama, action to make a videogame cake! I personally love this game it changed my life it got me all fluffy inside when i play it, it made me feel like i can do anything that is why my friends this game is a perfect 10.
  44. Nov 8, 2012
    First of all, I like motion controls, so this game was a blast to play .The controls in this game are just so amazingly responsive that the combat never get old! Every puzzle feels new, and the dungeons are better than ever.

But when I mastered the sword play. solved the puzzles and finished the game, I felt like there is not much to come back to. Like the previous Motion Plus-based game, Red Steel 2, this game feels soul-less. This game made me THINK about puzzles, and THINK before engaging an enemy,but It never made me FEEL anything. There are no scary parts, or particularly funny moments to remember.

Don't get me wrong, the game is fun, but it just not memorable . Sure, the puzzles are smart and well thought out, but after you solve them , the second time is not as interesting. The story is just "collect all of those things to save Zelda". What about missions that are not fetch quests? what about the atmosphere?.To me, These are the most important factors to a Zelda game. Take for example Twilight princess . The game didn't innovate much in terms of combat and puzzles, but is still loved by zelda fans. Why is that?
    Because twilight princess has:
    1)the game has a scary parts, with spooky atmosphere and music.
    2)there are many lovable characters to meet in the game.
    3)you are free to explore the massive land.
    Skyward sword has none of those, except maybe in the beginning of the game .

It's a good game, and I'm glad that I played it. But a game that doesn't get the player to feel , does NOT belong to the Zelda series.
  45. Nov 5, 2012
    Innovation is once again brought to the series of legend, Skyward Sword shows what Zelda is really about with an exciting new control scheme, beautiful art style, and engrossing gameplay. A faulty moments here and there is greatly overshadowed by the game's strengths. This is a must have for any Wii owner. 9/10
  46. Nov 4, 2012
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is, put simply, a masterpiece. It succeeds on all levels of game design. The overworlds are amazing, the dungeons incredible, and the music breathtaking. This game has excellent graphics and the controls work brilliantly. Easily the best game on the Wii, if not the greatest game this century. (So far)
  47. Nov 1, 2012
    This is definetly in my opinion the best legend of Zelda so far. Motions controls worked perfectly for me. Definetly a must buy for any legend of Zelda fan or any wii owners in general.
  48. Oct 29, 2012
    Easily the best Zelda since Majora's Mask and the biggest leap forward in modern gaming since Ocarina of Time. The controls are flawless, the combat is fluent, the puzzle-solving is top-notch, and the music is easily the best in the franchise. Any Wii owner would be a fool to miss out on this work of art. Truly a masterpiece.
  49. Oct 27, 2012
    This is NOT the best Zelda game but what a great collection of ideas and controls. The game opens up slowly and is well thought out. Each dungeon has to be worked for, as with most of the Zelda games, but more so in skyward sword. However, when Dungeons are reached they are easy, a lil on the short side and linear. Disappointing (very!).
    The use of clear targets for the hookshot seems
    The use of clear targets for the hookshot seems ridiculous.. ever since windwaker.
    Too often the guidance of fi completely removes any satisfaction any puzzle element would have given. Fi should take notes from Navi. Fi is a spoiler!
    Puzzles are a breeze, but, never before in a zelda game have I died so many times. Ocarina was never so punishing as this outing.
    Sword training could have evolved a bit further.
    The harp - WTF! does it get any more basic? FFS! Epic fail!
    The way the skyward sword world is arranged is BRILLIANT. This is one major score for this game and the choice for quick exploratory detours from the main quest is within easy reach.
    I have enjoyed parts of this game. It contains some wonderful ideas and effects. Experimenting with the new controls has been refreshing.

best bits - Boss Battles, New controls, sound, central island idea, save points, enemy fights

worst bits - Dungeon Difficulty far too easy/ cut scenes no quick skip - Item collect pauses - annoying/ Too lengthy game. Silly sudden deaths at times.

sound - great, outstanding - best ever in a Zelda game

graphics - great for wii

boss difficulty - Balanced.

best Zelda? - No way is it Skyward Sword! Ocarina of Time still reigns.

NOTES

How brave to have gone with wiimote design for this console.
    Amazing to think OOT achieved so much all that time ago.
  50. Oct 4, 2012
    Let me put this in summary: Nintendo couldn't have done worse for the controls by choosing to incorporate this game with wii motion plus.
    I non-stop found myself in frustration as I failed to get to grips with the unnecessarily awkward controls.
    My advise/request: keep things simple, go back to the franchise's roots and use the characteristics that everyone loves about this once fantastic franchise.
    I (what seems hopelessly) look forward to the day when I will see a continuation of the ocarina of time/majora's mask quality games of the franchise.
  51. Oct 4, 2012
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is a great game, one of the best available on the Nintendo Wii, but a disappointment for any long-time Zelda fan.
    If you've never played a LOZ game before, chances are you will see through the many issues of this game. The game suffers from a lot of pacing problems. Fetch-quests dominate many hours of this game and grow very tedious when flying around the over world is such a slow progress. The over world in itself is very bland and does little to encourage exploration, which is a huge part of any other LOZ game. You will come across many floating islands, but these house nothing interesting for you to discover. The game also suffers from padding problems. You'll be exploring and expanding three major areas throughout the game (a forest, mountain and desert). This Metroid-like backtracking approach is clever enough, and a fresh direction for the series, but one that grows boring when you'll do fetch-quests in these areas and fighting the same bosses up to three times. With this approach the game tries to pack more content in between the game's 7 dungeons, which is a fresh idea after Twilight Princess that consisted of walking from dungeon to dungeon. As already stated, this content is sadly mostly about fetch-quests, like collecting random tears, fish-notes (dafuq?) or filling a tub with water in order to extinguish a fire. The game improves upon the very shallow motion controls of TP, so much in fact, that it does not come with the option to play it with a normal controller. This is a mixed result. While the controls work most of the time and offer interesting gameplay, they are not always responsive, which can be very frustrating when playing through the game's harder "Hero" mode, or the "Boss rush" mode.
    Skyward Sword is a very cinematic experience, sporting a charming paint-like visual style and great cut-scenes driven by fantastic facial animations. There is still no voice-acting in this game, which is about time, but the animations mostly make up for this. The story does nothing new for the franchise. This is your typical "Zelda gets kidnapped, Link has to go through 7 dungeons in order to rescue her" story. To great disappointment, the cast of characters is very limited, considering the minimum amount of side-quests available in the game. Speaking of side-quests, these come in different qualities: There are some interesting personal ones, while carrying pumpkins is downright lame. The main story boasts about 6 major characters: Link, Zelda, Fi, Ghirahim, Groose and Impa. The only ones of those that shine are Zelda and Groose, because they are the only characters to see any kind of development. Link is good thanks to the animations, but he is silent and mysterious once more, so not much can be said about him. Ghirahim, the new villain of the game, is interesting at first, but quickly becomes boring as he has lack of motives and remains the same character throughout all of the game. Impa is just a trickster, there to guide Link and Zelda on their quests. Fi is the new companion, and my god if she isn't awful. You could just as well call her captain Obvious. This creature has a nasty habit of pointing out the obvious for you, constantly, with no way for you to disable her comments. If you see a boss door she will pop up and tell you that it probably requires a special key to open. If you see a lever, she will tell you that there is an 80 % chance that it can be turned, and so on. While perhaps there is a clever approach to this, it quickly becomes frustrating. Fi is by far the worst companion in any Zelda game to date, only shining slightly in the very end of the game.
    The dungeon design in SS is great. While none of the dungeons will go over in history as some of LOZ's best, they are very creative and funny to complete. The boss fights are also fantastic, with the exception of a few you have to fight multiple times. My only complaint about the dungeons is that they are a bit short and easy, mainly because of lack of different and challenging enemies.
    SS also puts a little emphasis on customization, something that is very limited, but nonetheless very welcome. You can now upgrade weapons, armor and potions if you would like to do so.
    LOZ: SS is an average Zelda experience with many obvious flaws. The biggest flaw is that it tries to do so much new for the franchise, while ultimately achieving nothing. The ALTTP/OOT dungeon formula is beginning to show age. It is nice to see more emphasis on content between dungeons, but when this consists of bad padding, it
  52. Sep 20, 2012
    I can only say one thing... THAT, GAME, IS, AMAZING. The best Zelda game, the best wii game, the best adventure/platform game i ever happen to play. I RECOMMEND IT, TRULY
  53. Sep 5, 2012
    Excellent story and characters, the items are very good too, there is no item that you stop using throughout the game. And the controls are simply amazing, it is 100% accurate and is probably going to shape future games!
  54. Sep 2, 2012
    I bought a Wii and this game over the summer because of everything I've heard, and I am a HUGE Zelda fan. Zelda link to the past and Zelda 64 were two masterpieces, and every Zelda after should walk in their shoes. I will admit that this game was innovative in certain ways and fun, but for some reason it just felt a little too different. Some of the items were pretty silly, like the blowI bought a Wii and this game over the summer because of everything I've heard, and I am a HUGE Zelda fan. Zelda link to the past and Zelda 64 were two masterpieces, and every Zelda after should walk in their shoes. I will admit that this game was innovative in certain ways and fun, but for some reason it just felt a little too different. Some of the items were pretty silly, like the blow dryer and I thought the flying beetle was a neat idea just not for Zelda. Also, what happened to the music in this game? The music at certain places, especially in the desert was kind of ugly. I would love to see a Zelda game use SOME previous music in a remastered form such as the dungeon music from aLtTP, memories would flourish. I also have to somewhat agree that the controls are a little sloppy and annoying at times, and for some reason I don't really like flailing my arms around to play a Zelda game. Graphically I was a little disappointed too because I prefer a more mature type of artwork compared to a sort-of childish look. I have to say too that even though some of the areas were pretty large, it felt a little too linear and I wish they didn't include all these check and save points that make it feel less like Zelda. The flying around on the bird was a good idea but sometimes it gets a little annoying as well. If you are a die hard Zelda fan though and you own a Wii already, this game is worth at least checking out because passed all the flaws there is still a good game. I totally agree with IGN giving Zelda 64 a 10 out of 10 but not for this game, a 10 is overrated IMO. Expand
  55. Aug 26, 2012
    I've played through Majoras Mask and Ocarina of Time, and this is not even close. The first problems being the intro, in the N64 titles the intros are short, sharp and interesting...In Skyward Sword the intro drags along. I think that the introduction (first 2-5 hours) is most important because that can make the difference between someone playing and quitting the game and i dont think thatI've played through Majoras Mask and Ocarina of Time, and this is not even close. The first problems being the intro, in the N64 titles the intros are short, sharp and interesting...In Skyward Sword the intro drags along. I think that the introduction (first 2-5 hours) is most important because that can make the difference between someone playing and quitting the game and i dont think that the first hours of gameplay are fun at all. The story in Skyward Sword does also not live up to usual standards. But what were looking at is gameplay. On so the combat is rather fun and maybe even a bit more involving than that of Oot and MM. Saying this, the boss battles are quite tedious and the controls for blocking and rolling are inconvenient. The games items are also pretty interesting. I mean, the claws and the beetle thing are both pretty cool items but on the other hand i find it really repetitive to use the dowsing thing over and over again. One thing they have perfected time and time again in the Zelda series is the soundtrack, and im happy to say at least they got something right with this game. The dungeons are also quite well thought out as usual but lack variation, i mean for example the first dungeon. Confuse the eyeball, shoot the bug, open a door...Rinse and repeat. But in saying all this, i know ive sounded a little harsh on a game from a series that i love. But the wait was very long and it was very disappointing compared to the others. In saying this it is not a bad game, it is just i know they can do better because they have done much much better before. Expand
  56. Aug 17, 2012
    First of all, look at the critic reviews before coming straight to the user reviews. There are many 10s, and there is a reason. Skyward Sword is arguably the best game on the Wii, one of the best of this generation, and maybe just the best Zelda game ever (but this last one is more personal preference, since they are all amazing). This was the game the Wii was built for, the game thatFirst of all, look at the critic reviews before coming straight to the user reviews. There are many 10s, and there is a reason. Skyward Sword is arguably the best game on the Wii, one of the best of this generation, and maybe just the best Zelda game ever (but this last one is more personal preference, since they are all amazing). This was the game the Wii was built for, the game that proves that motion controls can revolutionize gaming. The motion controls do not feel forced, but they feel right at home. Flying, swimming, items, and especially sword fighting feel tight and natural, not to mention pretty fun. The overworld in this game is somewhat like a dungeon, focusing on puzzles rather than exploration. It was a nice change of pace from TP's wide open, barren overworld with little to do. ALL of the dungeons are brilliant, especially the last one. They take a more linear approach focusing on fewer very dense rooms with a lot to do rather than huge dungeons easy to get lost in. Even the bosses got a revamp as many of them do not follow the basic Zelda formula for "Stun 3 times with the dungeon item and mash the b button until it dies." Sure the dungeon item is used for most of the fights, but barely really. There even 2 dungeon bosses that are just a sword fight, which shows of the wii motion plus very well. Overall the gameplay is so much fun just to play and it will be hard to put it down. The graphics are just about the best the wii has to offer, still SD, but a nice cel-shaded water color art style that fits Zelda well. Personally I find it annoying how the islands in the sky will slowly come into focus, first they just appear and be gray and ugly, then slowly add color the closer you get to them. This is more a problem with the console though than the game, as they did the best they could with the limited hardware. The music is very good, not the best Zelda has, but still very good. It has my personal favorite song in the series, "Ballad of the Goddess." Besides the songs being good to begin with, most of the tunes are now orchestrated, which sounds just amazing and it feels like Zelda was always meant to be orchestrated. Next and finally is the story. Now Nintendo games aren't meant to be bought for their stories, but Skyward Sword's narrative was decent. The opening sequence was very well done, but after that the story itself starts to show up less and less, especially between the 4th and 6th dungeon, where it goes very dry. But the ending makes up for all of this, as it is very fulfilling. This is the first Zelda game to happen chronologically, and it explains how Hyrule was founded and why Ganon is always messing things up for Link and Zelda. Overall the plot and story is the best for any Zelda game, but could be improved by telling it a little better. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword is a masterpiece, and you would be cheating yourself out of an AMAZING experience not to buy this game. Now the user score is a little bit low, but do not pay attention to THAT score. It is the 93 critic review average that you want to focus on. This game is great and you definitely do not want to miss. I had some minor issue with the games, but not enough to dock it down to a 9. Personally, I give it a 98/100. A pure masterpiece. Expand
  57. Aug 11, 2012
    If you dislike zelda games already, you not gonna find much here. The gameplay is the best ever created in my opinion, and the graphics are great, but over that if you not a fan of the series ( like me ) not much is gonna keep you interested.
  58. Aug 6, 2012
    this game is amazing as Twilight Princess! The sound is freaking authentic, Gameplay looked awesome. This was an epic Zelda adventure! Its a must buy
  59. Aug 4, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant. Played the Oot all the way through and this other entry in the zelda series plays great. The dialouge between characters is hilarious, the gameplay is smooth, solid and extremely enjoyable. Well worth a play
  60. Aug 4, 2012
    I have a soft spot for Zelda from way back, this game cured me of it. Probably the most frustrating thing is sitting through constant dialogue screens. You cannot fast forward them and have to sit as page after page of boring inane rubbish (gee you look good in that green uniform...click A for next). And the text just crawls slowly across the screen. Waiting, waiting, click A.I have a soft spot for Zelda from way back, this game cured me of it. Probably the most frustrating thing is sitting through constant dialogue screens. You cannot fast forward them and have to sit as page after page of boring inane rubbish (gee you look good in that green uniform...click A for next). And the text just crawls slowly across the screen. Waiting, waiting, click A. Waiting, waiting, Click A.

After that terrible bird race, you have to jump off a tower and land inside a circle. If you miss the circle...then try again. Well, try again after sitting through 5 screens of Zelda telling you how to do it, the text just crawls and you cannot fast foward. Ugh. This is even more frustrating than the terrible controls.
  61. Jul 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I was six years old I got an N64 and OoT for my birthday... to put it lightly I have a major fan of the The Legend of Zelda games since. To be blunt I was not impressed by SS. Peope have said that we who are negative of SS are blinded by our nostagla from past Zelda games, to that I agree to an extent. The Zelda franchise has been a constantly evolving series, that has change many core gameplay mechanics, but stayed true to what Zelda has always been about; adventuring the lands, finding badass items, wicked boss fights, and a deep and convaluted story that grips you and pulls you in from start to finish. Pre-N64 games aside, OoT (ALttP was fantasic for its time as well) achieved all of these elements with a high degree for its time becoming one of the first great 3D adventures. It is now the model to which all of us hardcore "Zelda fanatics" hold all future installments to. SS is a paradox, despite being hailed as the greatest Zelda game ever, it is a major step back from the progress made since OoT. Each game brings its own special flavour to the medley, and despite never being "perfect" they represent progress for the franchise. SS throws away many successful and exhilarating aspects of past games, for new greener ideas. I cannot fault Nintendo for this, for without innovation the franchise wouldn't be in the same place as it is today. Nevertheless, I dearly miss the open worlds of WW and to an extent TP, interesting races like the Gorons or Zoras, the epic boss battles that *ALWAYS* required the unique item from the given temple, and finally... you can quote me on this, "a complelling story". As a self rebuttle I did greatly enjoy the new crafting system, the development of many secondary characters on Skyloft, and the new puzzles using the Wii MotionPlus. These are keepers in the Zelda franchise as far as I'm concerned, although the sword fighting with MotionPlus was at times...infuriating. Despite this the things that made LoZ so special to me, are spat on and frankly thrown out the window as far as I'm concerned for the following 3 reasons:
    1. Adventuring: Essentially none existent - 3 seperated linear areas, and a large sky that apart from skyloft has very little to offer. In WW there was a wide open world to explore that was deeply interconnected and possible to travel at anytime, even if some islands secrets were item specific. Even the original OoT was open, and Hyrule could be travelled freely other than a free choice exceptions. The main complaint is that the progress that was made in WW and not so much in TP towards a more open and interactive world was not existent in SS.
    2. Boss Fights: Just Awful - Apart from Koloktos, the huge beast with 6 arms (who was a blast to fight I should say), and Demise, the rest get to big thumbs dowm. Ghirahim is a huge pain to fight not to mention that you battle him 3 times instead of a boss that is unique to the temple, and the rest are fairly lame. One of my favourite part of the past games was the massive boss fights and how satisfying they always were. Its not a matter of difficulty, but how satisfying it is to slay a massive beast...SS misses the mark in this category.
    3. Story: Weak - this is a very subjective category I admit, but its been said before and I'll say it again...the story of SS is awful with numerous plot holes. For one who the bloody f*** is Ghirahim! yes he is the demon lord pledged to Demise, but come on! no detailed reasons for his motives, what makes him demon lord? where does he come from? In TP there was a great backstory on Zant, his background is blurry, but it is obvious he is usurping Minda as Ganondorfs pawn and is conquering the world of light. Its easy to work out that Demise has the evil, destroy everything that is fresh and sweet goal, but some more to go on would be nice espeically for Ghirahim. In every Zelda game I've been absolutely captured by the story, with SS I could barely finish the game! I don't even wanna start with Fi...in summary I would have sold my first born child to get one chance to strangle her! To sum up, weak secondary characters, terrible races (the kwikis...come on...), far to linear and repetative plot, and most importantly a lack of connection with the world depicted in SS. I want to jump in to the world's created in Zelda! if you don't feel involved in the plight of the world why bother saving it?

Skyward Sword is a step forward for the Zelda francise in terms of controls, and systems, but 2 steps back for the key elements that any Zelda fan should sit anxiously at the edge of their seat for. SS represents a new era for the Zelda franchise, I may not like it but the 93/100 speaks for itself. Old schoolers like myself may be sidelined as Zelda moves into new, uncharted waters disregarding past innovations. I can only hope that LoZ can move forward while respecting the past by bringing about positive change, while staying true to its roots!
  62. Jul 20, 2012
    This is the best use of motion controls ever seen in a video game. This game is packed full of content. The story is interesting and the graphics are perfect. The amount of sidequests adds on even more to the length of the game. Everything about this game is perfect. It takes Zelda, Nintendo, and the wii to new heights, as this is one of the most innovative games that has ever seen theThis is the best use of motion controls ever seen in a video game. This game is packed full of content. The story is interesting and the graphics are perfect. The amount of sidequests adds on even more to the length of the game. Everything about this game is perfect. It takes Zelda, Nintendo, and the wii to new heights, as this is one of the most innovative games that has ever seen the light of day. Expand
  63. Jul 18, 2012
    The Zelda series was born of Shigeru Miyamoto's childhood adventures around the Kyoto countryside, where he would discover caves, lakes and most of all, the joy of exploration.

This has been retired in the latest instalment, where exploration and vast seamless worlds have been sacrificed completely in favour of rigid, isolated adventure 'arenas'. Gone are the open waters of Great Sea, the dusty sunsets of Hyrule Fields, the intriguing duality of the light and dark worlds. Hearken in three, tiny, boxed-off playgrounds.

And a sky, oh how could I forget the sky? Three-dozen floating rocks of varying degrees of pointlessness.

I found this title utterly disappointing. Not only is the exploration the series was born from gone, but we're graced with the most boring and vacant Link to date - who's only response to his charming new world is a series of awkward grunts.

Dull, forgettable music (Song of the Goddess is the only one that was memorable). An irritating and bland support character (especially when compared to Midna and Linebeck), awkward and unresponsive controls (flight...), and it pains me to say this, but ugly and dated graphics.

Perhaps standalone, this title would be alright, but not as a Zelda title. Not even close.
  64. Jul 16, 2012
    I waited to play this game due to mixed fan reviews. Eventually I was convinced, and it was one of the best experiences I have ever had. The MotionPlus controls are a blast and not as finicky as everyone claims; in fact, they just add to the overall experience. The "backtracking" isn't as repetitive as people claim either; each area is revamped and changed with all new challenges. TheI waited to play this game due to mixed fan reviews. Eventually I was convinced, and it was one of the best experiences I have ever had. The MotionPlus controls are a blast and not as finicky as everyone claims; in fact, they just add to the overall experience. The "backtracking" isn't as repetitive as people claim either; each area is revamped and changed with all new challenges. The scenery is breathtakingly beautiful, and the story line is simply fantastic and perfect in every right. By the end of the game I was in tears; because I had beaten my first every Skyward Sword experience, and because the touching story line was concluded expertly. Touches of humor and a nice difficulty level are also good embellishments. This is the best game I have ever played, and everyone else should have the bliss of playing it at least once. Expand
  65. Jul 12, 2012
    9.5 - While some of the latter game feels unnecessary and tacked on, this is what I've been wanting in a Wii title ever since I first saw the console. The controls are fantastic with spot on swordplay. The music is incredible and varied, not to mention absolutely beautiful. The story is excellent, and the many colorful locales you visit are full of life and character. There are an9.5 - While some of the latter game feels unnecessary and tacked on, this is what I've been wanting in a Wii title ever since I first saw the console. The controls are fantastic with spot on swordplay. The music is incredible and varied, not to mention absolutely beautiful. The story is excellent, and the many colorful locales you visit are full of life and character. There are an incredible amount of things to do and see, and everything is memorable, from the characters to the world itself. It's pure Nintendo magic at it's finest. Expand
  66. Jul 12, 2012
    Without a doubt the greatest entry in Zelda series, and definitely one of the best games I have ever played (I give it 9 only because I see room for improvement, as in every game). The story is flawless, the rpg and platform elements really add to the gameplay and it offered an experience unlike any game I have played before, let alone a Zelda game.

I think the controls are very

I think the controls are very innovative and clearly most people that have played it really enjoyed them. Personally I experienced some difficulties (either due to personal poor reflexes or a faulty controller, of course I would say the latter!), but can recognise how they have added to the gameplay. Swimming was a bit tricky but luckily you don't encounter that much.

There were a few moments in the game where I felt I was retracing my footsteps (going back to Skyview temple, for example) but overall I felt each section offered something new. I particularly liked the use of the stones in the Lanayru area.

Despite not being my personal favourite (due to control issues), this is the best Zelda game: it brought forward so many innovative ideas and there is very little fault to find (compared to my personal favourite, Twilight Princess, which admittedly was a weaker game and a rehash of Ocarina of Time that fell apart towards the end). I hope the Zelda franchise continues with more games like this in the future (hopefully on a better console!)
  67. Jul 12, 2012
    While I don't agree with everyone here, I'd have to say that this entry in the series, is probably the most fun I've had with the series. A deep, and twisting story filled with multiple puzzles and wii gimmicks that aren't terrible (at least in my opinion). Clearly, the motion controls are not perfect, but are really close to being so, even if they screw up, nintendo added in a "center"While I don't agree with everyone here, I'd have to say that this entry in the series, is probably the most fun I've had with the series. A deep, and twisting story filled with multiple puzzles and wii gimmicks that aren't terrible (at least in my opinion). Clearly, the motion controls are not perfect, but are really close to being so, even if they screw up, nintendo added in a "center" command encase they're not acting correctly. That is an issue, nintendo should've checked to see why the controls didn't center, and it shows a missed spot on this polished gem. The overworld is actually fairly small, but your loftwing(the bird you fly) is slow, and there is no way to speed him up, which is a shame. Those are the only complaints I have, but getting passed them leads to an excellent game that I would consider one of the best. If you're going to get this game, finish it, it's well worth it. Expand
  68. Jul 7, 2012
    While I did like this game, it does not live up to the reviews found in the media. I enjoyed the motion controls, but the story didn't feel as engaging as say twilight princess. Also some of the game felt like it was added just to extend the length of the game rather than to add something truly important or engaging. Some portions of the game really just felt like a chore or an annoyance.
  69. NSM
    Jul 2, 2012
    One of my favorite Zelda games, besides Ocarina of Time and maybe a couple others. This game is flawless and is great for any wii lover, zelda fan, or someone wanting something original. It's a must have!
  70. Jun 30, 2012
    To be quite frank to all the 'REAL' Zelda lovers this is my opinion:

To be quite frank to all the 'REAL' Zelda lovers this is my opinion:

Firstly I'm a DIEHARD zelda fan this game has changed my life. Well, sadly not this actual game itself. I'm 21 years old and currently an aspiring musician in the UK, when I was 7 years old and I'd heard the Lost Woods theme playing in the background of all that magical forestry I remember my heart skipping a beat for a second.
    So there I was motivated with my little yamaha toy keyboard infront of me and I sat down for 4 hours and learned the melody. 14 years later I'm still playing that melody to this current date. My undying love for music and adventures made this game feel like curry to a drunk. Everything Zelda up until 'Skyward Sword' brought me back to that magical moment when I was 7. I think the Critics aswell as the media are manufacturing lies when they say this is the best Zelda game since Ocarina of Time. It clearly isn't is it, about 65% of the way through the game I still had a glimmer of hope, I remember thinking to myself "It's ok after i'v done this bit I think I should finally be in hyrule field" There was no hyrule field. Instead the most adventurous map the developers could think of was above a few clouds with barely nothing to explore except a few chests you open on the ground below (which is only accessible through different parts of the sky). The music was nothing special either really, on OoT it was that detailed you could even learn to play the simpsons theme on your ocarina, little things like that made Zelda fun. Also being 21 and a smoker I really couldn't be bothered waving a stick around to kill an enemy can we have the option to use buttoned control pads again pleaaaaaaasseeee.
  71. Jun 24, 2012
    This game captures the essence of Zelda and everything you love about it and enhances it. Quite honestly, the Wii Motion Plus controls were just an additional pleasure. The story shows the very origin of all that is Hyrule and its inhabitants, the world becomes a real dungeon design rather than mindless scenery, dungeons require thinking and timing, and fighting has never felt so amazing.This game captures the essence of Zelda and everything you love about it and enhances it. Quite honestly, the Wii Motion Plus controls were just an additional pleasure. The story shows the very origin of all that is Hyrule and its inhabitants, the world becomes a real dungeon design rather than mindless scenery, dungeons require thinking and timing, and fighting has never felt so amazing. The graphics truly bring out a style that defines Zelda to the maximum and the music being orchestrated simply added to the amazing feeling of playing a Nintendo game once more. This game is easily my favorite of the Zelda series, finally knocking Ocarina of Time off its high horse. This is the game the Wii was built for. If you don't at least try it, you're missing out on the game of the year. Expand
  72. Jun 17, 2012
    A truly gorgeous game with an engaging story, masterful controls and epic soundtrack. This is an adventure you don't want to come to an end. The only glaring flaw is see in this game is that the tutorial is way too long and a little off putting, but after that its an epic journey until the end.
  73. Jun 10, 2012
    Amazing game, the controls works great, someone saying different can't set up there Wii's correct.
    Music is very good start to finish, story best to date, graphics beat PS3 anyday even on the Wii, now stop reading and go buy it, you won't be sorry!
  74. Jun 7, 2012
    This game was great, but the opposite of simple. The control wasn't very good and calibrating the wii motion plus was a pain. I would be pointing in the middle of the screen and my cursor was so far to the right you almost couldn't see it, the skyward strike took at least 10 minutes to do, and selecting items from your pouch should have been move the d-pad to select, not move the remote.This game was great, but the opposite of simple. The control wasn't very good and calibrating the wii motion plus was a pain. I would be pointing in the middle of the screen and my cursor was so far to the right you almost couldn't see it, the skyward strike took at least 10 minutes to do, and selecting items from your pouch should have been move the d-pad to select, not move the remote. The silent realm was a nightmare, i avoided the game for months thanks to it, the silent realm will drive you nuts, and is sure to have you angry. I also can't thrust, so trying to beat the cross dresser, bizarre Ghirahim was really difficult. Let's look at the positive, the music was the best i've ever heard in a zelda game, the areas were different and amazing to look at, the creatures were almost cooler than ever, and finally the characters and the side quests are the funnest parts of the game. Expand
  75. Jun 4, 2012
    Hugely disappointing, the spirit of ocarina of time has been lost. I do not know by what conspiracy this has gotten a 10 and can even be compared to ocarina of time - is the world composed of idiots? Truly rhetorical question, because the answer is obviously yes.. Ocarina, you could explore. This, there are only 3 worlds, which you are forced to visit twice each because they got lazy,Hugely disappointing, the spirit of ocarina of time has been lost. I do not know by what conspiracy this has gotten a 10 and can even be compared to ocarina of time - is the world composed of idiots? Truly rhetorical question, because the answer is obviously yes.. Ocarina, you could explore. This, there are only 3 worlds, which you are forced to visit twice each because they got lazy, which to explore you use a teleportation system rather than have them linked like in Ocarina. The overall spirit and monsters is childlike and bad, compared to the emotion inducing, epic feel of Ocarina of Time. Where Ocarina was a game that shook you and sucked you in, this is merely a mediocre Zelda game, I don't even think the creator of the series enjoys it as he himself has said being disappointed in it midway through development. How the great have fallen. Oh and it's still the same, same, same concept that ocarina INVENTED on the 64, remade again for all you creativity enemies. This game is lucky to be good enough to still deserve an 8 despite insulting the entire Zelda franchise, but yes it's still high quality nintendo title that is acceptably fun...but oh so disappointing.. Expand
  76. Jun 1, 2012
    Those of you giving The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword low scores have clearly had trouble playing the game. Here's the rager's patterns : Play Skyward Sword. Fail. Think "Ok, I'll try again". Fail again. Rage. Throw control at wall/door/television/family member/cat. Go on Metacritic. Type in "The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword", hands shaking in rage. Type in a common rage comment. "THISThose of you giving The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword low scores have clearly had trouble playing the game. Here's the rager's patterns : Play Skyward Sword. Fail. Think "Ok, I'll try again". Fail again. Rage. Throw control at wall/door/television/family member/cat. Go on Metacritic. Type in "The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword", hands shaking in rage. Type in a common rage comment. "THIS GAME IS AWFUL. THE CONTROLS SUCK. THEY MADE ME FALL OFF A LEDGE 40 TIMES. GAMEPLAY IS NOT FUN." I mean, come on people. When you comment on lack of voice acting, it's so clear that you're commenting on something trivial becuase you couldn't think of much else. Skyward Sword is a brilliant game. The composing is amazing, the graphics are very attractive. The gameplay is hours of brilliant fun which can never get boring to me. Hell, I've not actually finished Skyward Sword. I'm at the last boss battle. (You know, the guy with the fire hair.) I failed but didn't rage. I camly put down my controler and say to myself "i'll do it another time." The fact that I've dragged out this game for months (since christmas, actually.) added to my enjoyment. It's the longest game I've ever played. And I usually finish games within 1-6 hours of getting them. So, a word to everyone - drag out the gameplay. It's really worth it. Expand
  77. May 31, 2012
    Overall a enjoyable and long game, any Nintendo, Zelda and Adventure fan will want to get this game instantly. You will not regret it, not only will the game offer a long playtime but also a enjoyable adventure, enjoyable music, enjoyable gameplay as well. Only downside is you would have to buy a Wii Motion Plus control but that should not be a problem as they are either cheap or mostOverall a enjoyable and long game, any Nintendo, Zelda and Adventure fan will want to get this game instantly. You will not regret it, not only will the game offer a long playtime but also a enjoyable adventure, enjoyable music, enjoyable gameplay as well. Only downside is you would have to buy a Wii Motion Plus control but that should not be a problem as they are either cheap or most players should already have one available at this point of the Wii's life. Expand
  78. May 29, 2012
    After months of waiting for this game and all the propaganda it received i felt really disappointed. The creators had plenty of time to make it perfect and yet it had so many flaws. In this game you will never get lost or die it is incredibly easy. They tell you where and what to do more than twice. Controls takes time to get used to opening a boss door took me more than 15 minutes once.After months of waiting for this game and all the propaganda it received i felt really disappointed. The creators had plenty of time to make it perfect and yet it had so many flaws. In this game you will never get lost or die it is incredibly easy. They tell you where and what to do more than twice. Controls takes time to get used to opening a boss door took me more than 15 minutes once. The first 15 hours are so boring nearly killed myself. However not everything is bad using loot to modify shields and weapons was great story gets better after 20 hours and some new items effects are quite interesting. Loved the graphics and changing the present with the past was awesome. What is unforgivable for me is that the hidden skills from TP are not in this game. That was a step backwards in the Zelda franchise. Voice acting is necessary like it or not Zelda games need to change their formula for their own good. There are other flaws but I have no space to put more. Nintendo should learn a couple of things from xenoblade chronicles; now thatâ Expand
  79. May 28, 2012
    Not quite the masterpiece everyone claims it is, but an excellent entry in the series. Uses the Wii's limited hardware to put forth the best looking game possible that controls the way the Wii should in the first place. 40+ hours of solid, interesting gameplay, side quests and intelligent dungeon designs. A definite purchase if you're a fan of the series.
  80. May 23, 2012
    so many things were changed, and upgraded in this game, i love the story, BUT. why it didn't get a perfect score, the controls are a pain sometimes. now not complaining i love the challenge of actually controlling a sword to kill your foes. unfortunately its very upsetting sometimes when it doesn't do what you wanted it to do
  81. May 21, 2012
    This is the worst entry in the entire Zelda series that I have played. While they did try to do a few things to mix things up a bit, ultimately the game is utterly formulaic in the worst ways possible, and many of its innovations fail to actually be FUN.

The incorporation of motion controls into the game seems like a good idea, but unfortunately in practice they are extremely clunky. Flying around and swimming both use the motion controls, and while flying works decently (not great, but not horribly), swimming does not - the only good news is that you will hardly be swimming in the game, but the few times you do have to swim it becomes a bit frustrating. You can manage, but it just doesn't feel right. Fortunately, running around in 2D works just fine, but sadly your sword, too, uses the motion controls. This seems like a neat idea at first, but unfortunately it fails to deliver. While it works fine for the slashing and spin cuts, unfortunately stabbing doesn't work very well at all, doubly so when your shield is out, oftentimes coming out as the wrong kind of attack. This is deeply frustrating when you need for it to work. The only motion control that works well is your shield, which works completely flawlessly.

Your bow, oddly, does not take a cue from Wii Sports Resort (which actually did bow controls RIGHT as a minigame, and a fun one at that!) and sadly uses just the standard old point with the wiimote - this works alright, but is disappointing. Ultimately, the fact that most of your items use some weird mixture of motion controls and the IR sensor results in a very inconsistent feeling about the game, and it doesn't make you feel good - the motion controls constantly break immersion, which sucks. As the capstone of the Wii, this game tried to show that motion controls were a good idea, but failed utterly.

The rest of the game is also flawed. The enemies are very repetitive - there are very few types of enemies, and only a few of them are particularly interesting to fight. By about a third of the way through the game, you will have seen every enemy the game has to offer, and sadly (and more than a little bizzarely) the game repeats bosses incessantly - one of the bosses (Ghirahim) is fought three times, and really four times because the final boss (Demise) is very similar to Ghirahim, and actually probably more boring than him. The Imprisoned is a boss you fight three times, and the fights are simply not different enough to matter or to be very fun. At one point you fight him twice, back to back, and it is quite boring. While there are some fun enemies (Lizardfos are actually quite fun to fight, as are the skeleton enemies) overall the game repeats monsters far too much and by the end you are very tired of fighting the same old things for the upteenth time, bosses and normal baddies alike.

The story is also bad. Most people don't even know that the world is in trouble, let alone that you're saving it, and there is nothing about the story which is very gripping. The fact that you live on floating islands is pretty much entirely incidental to the plot - it is just the Hyrule Field of this game, and it is no more interesting. The flying hardly matters at all - at only one point in the entire game do you actually use your bird to fight a bad guy - and really was an idea which was utterly wasted on this game.

The only good thing about the game is the dungeons and the leadup to them; the Lanyru desert is actually fairly enjoyable and has some interesting ideas, and the beetle allows for some interesting puzzles. Sadly, they failed to exploit the beetle as well as they could and should have, and many of the new items (the blower and the whip) feel very pointless. Unfortunately, the hookshot (or should I say, the clawshot) is feeling increasingly this way as well - once a really neat piece of equipment, the heavily sanitized targeting (targets and vines) results in it feeling much less versatile, interesting, and useful. Thus you're left with the bow and the beetle as the cool items that you can do lots of stuff with - a disappointingly small list

The ultimate problem, though, is that Zelda has failed to evolve, learn, and grow. Darksiders is basically a Zelda game, but its combat was much better and the game was thus much more fun. But the real tragedy is that Batman: Arkham Asylum is a Zelda game - just think about it. Batman has many of the same items as link does (a hookshot/grapnel, bombs, he even has a boomerang!), and he runs around solving puzzles to progress through dungeons, but unlike Link he isn't groundbound, he is very mobile, the combat is interesting, and the gameplay overall is much better. When you realize just how far behind Zelda has fallen, you wonder why you'd ever play a game like Skyward Sword in the first place. And the answer is - you wouldn't.
  82. May 20, 2012
    Really great game. I love Zelda games, but as an adult it is very hard to ask for the franchise to amaze me like it did when I was a child, when everything was innately more impressive and magical. This instalment of the Zelda series features a beautiful world. Great characters and plot, fantastic game play and controls. The graphics are as good as you're going to get on the Wii. Only realReally great game. I love Zelda games, but as an adult it is very hard to ask for the franchise to amaze me like it did when I was a child, when everything was innately more impressive and magical. This instalment of the Zelda series features a beautiful world. Great characters and plot, fantastic game play and controls. The graphics are as good as you're going to get on the Wii. Only real negative I can think of is that other than the sky there isn't really any great open expanse to explore like in you'd old 2d Zelda games and OoT. But that's not to say there isn't plenty to explore. My favourite Zelda since OoT. Expand
  83. May 19, 2012
    5 years we have waited for this. Was it worth the wait? Yes and no. I've been a fan since OoT and have played every Zelda, so I will compare it to the other titles. I'll brake it down in good and bad aspects. GOOD: +In TP you were like superman, which got boring quickly. In SS it's more of a challenge. +My wallet was rarely full in SS (unlike in TP) and there were always great upgrades to5 years we have waited for this. Was it worth the wait? Yes and no. I've been a fan since OoT and have played every Zelda, so I will compare it to the other titles. I'll brake it down in good and bad aspects. GOOD: +In TP you were like superman, which got boring quickly. In SS it's more of a challenge. +My wallet was rarely full in SS (unlike in TP) and there were always great upgrades to find in treasures or to buy at the shop. It also gave the game a nice RPG element thanks to the upgrades you can do to your already awesome items and weapons. They really nailed the item system. +Another great addition is the new controls. They worked really well and added to the whole experience. BAD: -The music. If this is the first Zelda you've played, you'll like it. But god the music SUCKS compared to OoT, MM and WW. Not one great new Zelda tune here. -lack of exploration. You've got your hub, skyloft and in the sky you can explore some islands. But the vast lands under the sky feel like one big obstacle course. It's a bit like MM, except that there was much more to do in Clocktown than in Skyloft. This all comes down to the fact that in SS there aren't much sidequests and they're also easy too.
    Overall this Zelda finally improved in some aspects but still suffers in others. Still a great game but one of the worst Zelda games out there 9/10
  84. May 19, 2012
    Although this is a great game, I am not saying this is the best Zelda game by no means. All the flying around makes me feel like I'm back in the Windwaker with sailing accept for flying in this game. The fact that you half to return to desert, woods, lava over and over again takes away from the game. I like it, best wii game of 2011 for sure but it doesn't feel like a true Zelda game in myAlthough this is a great game, I am not saying this is the best Zelda game by no means. All the flying around makes me feel like I'm back in the Windwaker with sailing accept for flying in this game. The fact that you half to return to desert, woods, lava over and over again takes away from the game. I like it, best wii game of 2011 for sure but it doesn't feel like a true Zelda game in my opinion. I take Twilight Princess over this one for dungeons, items, story. Expand
  85. May 16, 2012
    Great story combined with great look and feel. Using the Wiimote as a sword felt natural (mainly) and the skyward sword itself was pretty cool. Some tasks were mundane but the rest of the game is stellar. Could do with voice acting.
  86. May 16, 2012
    Let down by ageing world and graphics. I loved this game for it's dungeons and story. The dungeons are the best for a 3D Zelda game including ocarina of time. The world however is not, the mythology is not good enough. The world is completely bare and you feel so restricted with the overworld being only accesible through portals. I want them to go back to twilight princess/ocarina of timeLet down by ageing world and graphics. I loved this game for it's dungeons and story. The dungeons are the best for a 3D Zelda game including ocarina of time. The world however is not, the mythology is not good enough. The world is completely bare and you feel so restricted with the overworld being only accesible through portals. I want them to go back to twilight princess/ocarina of time world but less bare. I want NPCs scattered everywhere and fully flushed out villages and empires. I want the mythology of hyrule back with zoras, gorons, etc. Basically I want a living breathing zelda world that I loose myself in and not feel like I'm playing a game. Basically skyrim with better combat, gameplay, etc. And the graphics are just bad, I mean I normally don't mind but going from skyrim on the PC to this is not good enough. Expand
  87. May 15, 2012
    The best game on wii hands down and the only game that uses motion controls where I didn't feel like it would be improved by a regular control scheme, or by not existing period.
  88. May 15, 2012
    Let me start off by saying I am a huge Legend of Zelda fan. After reading reviews and talking with friends it seemed certain that I would love this game. After my play through however I am left with a bitter taste in my mouth and can tell you without a doubt that I will never play this game again. I think that if you are not a Zelda fan stay away from this game. This game has taken muchLet me start off by saying I am a huge Legend of Zelda fan. After reading reviews and talking with friends it seemed certain that I would love this game. After my play through however I am left with a bitter taste in my mouth and can tell you without a doubt that I will never play this game again. I think that if you are not a Zelda fan stay away from this game. This game has taken much inspiration from modern MMOs and as such suffers from the same mediocrity that plagues that genre. The controls are terrible, the dialogue is bland and in every way that the game takes a step forward from itsâ Expand
  89. May 10, 2012
    I'm sorry for being rude, but to everyone giving this game a 10 out of 10, and using remarks such as "Best Zelda Ever" and "a Masterpiece", are you all on meth? I UNDERSTAND it's your opinion, but it's also an opinion others are going to read and make their decision on this game upon. I LOVE the Zelda franchise, I have played every main game in the series, and only haven't beat 5 of them,I'm sorry for being rude, but to everyone giving this game a 10 out of 10, and using remarks such as "Best Zelda Ever" and "a Masterpiece", are you all on meth? I UNDERSTAND it's your opinion, but it's also an opinion others are going to read and make their decision on this game upon. I LOVE the Zelda franchise, I have played every main game in the series, and only haven't beat 5 of them, but I did beat Skyward Sword, within a week of it's release, and I was out the door to trade it in for Skyrim as soon as I saw "The End". I'm NOT saying this game is worth anything less than a 6 out of 10, but I AM saying that nearly every blockbuster game to come out in 2011 was better than this game. I'm also saying that this was the worst game in the franchise, completely abandoning the polished story telling, art and gameplay of all previous Zelda games in the past and devoting itself to a gimmick that Nintendo is pushing down our throats as fans of this series. I didn't want to buy the Wii Motion Plus, but I did just so I could play this game, and Nintendo understands that there are people like me out there, there are a lot, and they completely used that against us. As for everyone giving it anything over an 8 out of 10 and praising it like its some kind of milestone in the franchise, I'm going to have to assume you're all in denial, because like myself, you wanted this game to be worth the over 5 years it took to create, but it wasn't, so you don't need to ruin the accumulative score with your simplistic "OMG 10" reviews. As for the game, it's a 7 out of 10. As someone said before, for the worst game in the franchise, 7 is a pretty outstanding score. Expand
  90. May 9, 2012
    Skyward sword has it all. Good old zelda game play, memorable characters and a interesting world to explore. Even if your new to the zelda series i would still highly reccomend this game looking for a epic lengthy adventure. Skyward sword is one of he most colorful and best looking games on wii. The game also works great with wii motion plus. This game is simply a masterpiece that shouldSkyward sword has it all. Good old zelda game play, memorable characters and a interesting world to explore. Even if your new to the zelda series i would still highly reccomend this game looking for a epic lengthy adventure. Skyward sword is one of he most colorful and best looking games on wii. The game also works great with wii motion plus. This game is simply a masterpiece that should be experienced by anyone who likes games in general. Expand
  91. May 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a die-hard Zelda fan I was a little sceptical, thinking the graphics looked a little weird. Now that I've played it, I still think they look weird, but in a fantastically charming way. My favourite game of all time is Ocarina, but I would place this a close second.
    The first major thing in Skyward Sword, after the funky graphics, is the motion plus sword-play. For the first hour (or three) it really annoyed me, because I wasn't very good at it, and got more frustrated when simply wildly swinging the remote actually did worse than me trying properly. The enemy that annoyed me the most early on was the Lizalfos, but by the end of the game, I could kick their asses in seconds, because I had improved along the way, which is an aspect I loved.
    The music and puzzles, which have always been a particular forte of the series, were true to form. I had a blast playing it. This Zelda really pulled away from the endless torch lighting, and block pushing you get in some of the older games (which I love too btw.) Some of the challenges were downright inspiring.
    I liked being able to upgrade items, and having to customize my inventory depending on upcoming challenges. The bosses were fantastic, as well, with the final boss fight being one of the most interesting I've seen for a while (no tennis).
    Some of the new items were brilliant. I absolutely loved being able to look around a room, and plan out what I was supposed to do, without having to move, using the beetle (especially once upgraded). The wind-bag thing kinda sucked because it didn't seem to do anything outside of blowing sand around (it can't even put out torches). I was glad to see the clawshots return - they were awesome in TP, and similarly so in SS.
    The story, of course, was typical Zelda style. It starts out slow, but once you get a little ways into it, it gets so much better.
    There were, however, some niggling annoyances in there too. One such problem was that Fi, the weird, statistically minded alien thing, living in your sword, would constantly try and explain what I was supposed to do, essentially solving the only challenging part of the puzzle for me, to the point where I would simply look away from the screen any time she said anything.
    Another was the overworld. You have literally the entire sky extending as far as you can see, and the only islands other than the main one were some lacklustre mini-games and a rather pointless little bar type thing. Really, the only thing I missed in this game, that made me love some of the older titles (especially Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess) was the grit and mystery of it. It was really cheerful, all of the time. I just wish everything wasn't so obvious all the time. Also, I beat the final boss so fast, without losing any health, because he was way too predictable. Scale it up towards the end Nintendo - we like a challenge. If the enemy is supposed to be the King of Evil, and this terrifying demon which couldn't be killed by the goddesses, why does he bounce off my shield like a stick wielded by a small child?

In all, however, the game engrossed me from start to finish, even with the annoyances, and I strongly recommend people at least try it, in lieu of the dubious graphics.
  92. May 8, 2012
    All the Zelda magic but with a fantastic new control system. It's hard to imagine a better implementation of the Wii motion controller. I've played every Zelda game since Link to the Past and this is a another superb entry to the series. A tighter, less open game structure than Twilight Princess is the only downside. Still one of the best games in existence.
  93. May 7, 2012
    Probably the WORST Zelda game ever created. Its fast travel system is completely stupid and a waste of time, the motion control's dont respond all the time and can be extremely frustrating when fighting an enemy. Previous Zelda games will always be the best. Then again, Nintendo will continue to milk the hell out of the franchise...
  94. May 5, 2012
    The best game of 2011 and the only title thats on par with OoT. If you were disappointed with Twilight Princess. I can almost assure you that you will have a better time with this. The main problem with this game, however, its the stamina meter, which you will have to just get used. The best part of the storyline, once you finish the game, you'll understand why things happened the way theyThe best game of 2011 and the only title thats on par with OoT. If you were disappointed with Twilight Princess. I can almost assure you that you will have a better time with this. The main problem with this game, however, its the stamina meter, which you will have to just get used. The best part of the storyline, once you finish the game, you'll understand why things happened the way they did in the previous games. (This is the first game in the LoZ timeline) Go pick up this game right now!!! Expand
  95. May 1, 2012
    Skyward Sword deserves to be thought of just as highly as Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, two of my favorite games for their respective systems. There's no question that Skyward Sword will be one of the top games in the Wii's lifetime. The change in controls gives new perspective on how gamers can play a Zelda game, let alone an adventure game, and makes it more than just another iterationSkyward Sword deserves to be thought of just as highly as Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, two of my favorite games for their respective systems. There's no question that Skyward Sword will be one of the top games in the Wii's lifetime. The change in controls gives new perspective on how gamers can play a Zelda game, let alone an adventure game, and makes it more than just another iteration of what I consider to be one of Nintendo's top-tier series. The new setting is full of winks and nods to the games that preceded it and an avid Zelda fan like myself can't help but light up when a reference is noticed. I've played a lot of great games this year, but no other game has made me feel so good about enjoying my time with it. Skyward Sword is engaging, accessible and highly capable of being considered a classic by many in this gaming generation. Expand
  96. Apr 26, 2012
    Bar none, this is one of the greatest zelda titles that I have ever had the privilege to play. The controls allow for an incredibly sense of immersion and dungeons are well designed and lengthy. This is a great game and a worthy zelda title.
  97. Apr 24, 2012
    I couldn't stand playing it. I'm sorry for giving it such a bad score, but I couldn't even make it all the way through. I thought to myself "Why play it if it is complete hell to get through?"

Your hand is being held throughout the entire game. Fi drove me bonkers after the first twenty minutes of getting out into the world, giving you completely useless information and percentages, or giving you tips the gave it completely away. If Fi wasn't helping you out, there always seemed to be something else there that gave it away. You couldn't explore, the dialogue was slow, the graphics gave me a headache (Personally, I can't stand that graphic style.) I purchased the wii motion plus just for this game. I was that excited about it. The motion control sucks, may I add that. No matter how much I moved the censor, or switched controllers, or even attempted to perfect my own wrist movement, I always found my sword wouldn't do exactly what I wanted it to without a couple tries. The only thing that was difficult about the game was the combat, but that was only when the enemies were constantly shielding from your attacks. If you managed to get past that, it was a breeze.

I had been told that it got better as it went through, but I honestly just gave up. There was no pleasure coming from it. I know a seven year old who loved it. And I could understand why. The mixture of cutesy graphics and enemies, being carried through objectives, and completely obnoxious npc's (I just wanted to purchase that potion, I didn't want the whole story behind how you created it and what it does), makes it a great children's game.

Truly a disappointment. I couldn't wait for it to arrive at my doorstep, I had waited days, and when it finally came I was thrilled, until I began playing. Honestly though, I think its either a game you're going to love, or you're going to hate.
  98. Apr 23, 2012
    I am a long time fan of the Zelda series (since NES) and this is by far the worst one ive ever played. The motion controls are horrid. Backtracking is rampant, flying is pointless and boring filler along with the stupid fetch quests that do nothing but add to the time it will take you to finish the game and no it isnt the least bit fun. Everytime i started to have any ounce of fun it wasI am a long time fan of the Zelda series (since NES) and this is by far the worst one ive ever played. The motion controls are horrid. Backtracking is rampant, flying is pointless and boring filler along with the stupid fetch quests that do nothing but add to the time it will take you to finish the game and no it isnt the least bit fun. Everytime i started to have any ounce of fun it was sucked away by stupid game design. How any fan of this series can say this is the best one since ocarina is absolutely beyond me. This game is so bad that it is literally the only zelda game i didnt finish because i got that sick of it. (Completing the sword was the last thing i did. I dont recommended this game at all unless you want to experience incredibly bad motion controls. This entry made me want to play twilight princess again and i didnt even like that one alot but it was defintely better than this trash dont waste your time. Expand
  99. Apr 20, 2012
    Zelda: Skyward Sword is a good game that finds itself in the unfortunate position of being compared to previous Zelda titles. While in many ways it does improve upon the old ones and utilizes the Wii motion controller to its fullest by making intuitive and challenging combat as well as new, if not occasionally bewildering puzzles, the open-world gameplay and sidequests have been at bestZelda: Skyward Sword is a good game that finds itself in the unfortunate position of being compared to previous Zelda titles. While in many ways it does improve upon the old ones and utilizes the Wii motion controller to its fullest by making intuitive and challenging combat as well as new, if not occasionally bewildering puzzles, the open-world gameplay and sidequests have been at best streamlined and at worst ruined. Before I continue I'd like to stress the fact that this is a good, though I would not say "great" game however due to the shower of praise it has received in the media I'd like to focus on the drawbacks so many "professional game reviews" forgot to mention before I paid $45 USD for a used copy (Closer to $100 if you include the cost of a Wii Motion Plus controller).

First and foremost are the controls. Yes, after 3.5 years into the console's life Nintendo finally releases an add-on to improve the hardware. While I can't deny some improvements have been made in terms of position detection of the Wii-mote, it's far from perfect and the point-and-click ability has suffered a far worse setback than anything has improved, so much so there's an in-game function to recenter its calibration. Furthermore the new bomb-flower rolling mechanic is more of an endurance test as most the time the game can't tell if you're trying to roll it or return to the useless "in-between" stance in which Link simply awaits for the bomb to explode in his hands. Even the simplest of puzzles involving this can take 3 hearts easily.

Next up is the exposition. Yes I know Zelda games have a traditionally slow opening but in all Zelda games I can immediately recall saving is something you can do anytime and pick it up later. Worse that it's been almost 15 years since Ocarina of Time yet there is still no skippable cutscenes, including the schizophrenic treasure dialogues. It doesn't matter if you have 6 Eldin Ore. The 7th one may stop to tell you what you just grabbed and what it's for (vaguely) but then again sometimes you'll get 5 more it will just let you on your merry little way. The biggest offender is the story itself though. Even after you've descended to the surface and solved a few puzzles an old lady stops you and tells you basically nothing you haven't already heard. "The Goddess has chosen you. You're to save Zelda". Had the way out just been unlocked she could've been missing and the only question would've been "why make such a large room just to hide a few items?"

Linearity. OK in a way almost all Zelda games are fairly linear. You need to go to certain temples in a certain order and obtain certain items to solve certain puzzles (although I accidentally went to one temple out of order in Phantom Hourglass) but they still felt like an adventure, largely due to the open world and having the freedom to find side-quests. While some interesting features are there to be found, the hidden "dungeons" that make extrapolating their contents such a challenge are from what I can tell nowhere to be found. Regenerating enemies make sure you don't explore too much on the surface either and seem to be the only indication as where you're supposed to be. It's very easy to not know where you're supposed to be and spend a long time exploring a vast, enemy-infested but otherwise uninteresting map. It feels more like being on an airport's moving sidewalk than on an adventure. Had half the explanation for the story (which largely consists of telling you whom you're looking for every time you find a key to a dungeon or boss room) gone into pointing you in the right direction then I'd probably be able to lose two criticisms and sadly, no, I'm not nit-picking. The exposition really is that forced, there really is a "right direction" in a Zelda game and the puzzles really are this perplexing.

At the end of the day I'd be recommending this to everybody and my brother if, for nothing else, to demonstrate the Wii has potential despite its limitations had it simply been known as "Skyward Sword" in the unlikely event I would give a title a second glance. Fortunately, at least for Nintendo profits, it is known as "Zelda: Skyward Sword" but with that free ride comes a higher standard, including that of an expansive and immersive world and while many of my criticisms can be applied to previous titles of the franchise I do feel that as a Nintendo fan I am entitled to expect some improvement over time, even if that means taking a chapter from previous installments or at the least the "zip-through-speech" button that made the N64 Paper Mario one of my favorite and most replayable RPGs in video-game history.

#1 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2011
#1 Most Shared Wii Game of 2011

1. Feb 6, 2012
    Overall, this is the best experience I've had playing a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time and I'd have to say they are pretty equal in my opinion. Either way, you won't be disappointed getting this game, it's a masterpiece.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012
    New Zelda is the best game of whole series since the groundbreaking Ocarina of Time. It is a true masterpiece with uncompromising playability. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 19, 2012
    A magnificent homage for the 25th anniversary of one the biggest franchises in gaming, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword provides a compelling gaming and artistic showcase for the indefatigable potential of the medium as a whole, and a reason to have gaming as a hobby.