7.9

1. Nov 23, 2011
    After reading a couple of negative reviews just for the chuckles I have to wonder if they have even played this game at all. Perhaps they are just FPS junkies and graphics whores perturbed that this game took them away from their precious Call of Duty for a while. To give Skyward Sword anything lower than a 7-8 would indicate either a severe bias or lack of understanding as to what makes aAfter reading a couple of negative reviews just for the chuckles I have to wonder if they have even played this game at all. Perhaps they are just FPS junkies and graphics whores perturbed that this game took them away from their precious Call of Duty for a while. To give Skyward Sword anything lower than a 7-8 would indicate either a severe bias or lack of understanding as to what makes a good game.

Skyward Sword is a great game with a compelling story that sucks you right in. The worlds are fun to explore, the controls are some of the best i have ever seen on the Wii and it's all around just a fun game. No, the graphics are not going to blow you away, but they are by no means the worst on the Wii. They are by no means a deal breaker in a game this fun. There are worse games with better graphics, why not waste your time playing those and stop whining about Skyward Sword? Anybody who wants play a fantastic game and give the Wii a proper sendoff owes it to themselves to pick this one up.
  2. Nov 24, 2011
    This is why i am a zelda fan. For me this is the best zelda ever made. My favorite was marjoras mask but this one beeds them all damn i realy love it .
  3. Nov 25, 2011
    The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword is one of the best games of all time and certainly the best of the year. It has a great story and great graphics for the wii.
  4. Nov 25, 2011
    This such a beautiful, addicting, awesome Legend of Zelda game. The characters are so diverse and you like them so much. Flying is fun and the music is epic. The motion controls are absolutely perfect, don't believe those people who say it sucks. Rarely, you have to calibrate Wii MotionPlus. It's very rare that it happens to me, so I don't care. I have played it for 5 days and have alreadyThis such a beautiful, addicting, awesome Legend of Zelda game. The characters are so diverse and you like them so much. Flying is fun and the music is epic. The motion controls are absolutely perfect, don't believe those people who say it sucks. Rarely, you have to calibrate Wii MotionPlus. It's very rare that it happens to me, so I don't care. I have played it for 5 days and have already played for 21 hours. The best game on the Wii and quite possibly the best Zelda game off all time. 10/10. Expand
  5. Nov 28, 2011
    With complaints about the same old same old, these are a plus in my book. When they create a Zelda game i want a majority of the stuff i have seen before with subtle differences. With that i mostly mean upon mechanics, format etc. On the other hand the story should be its own new thing every time around. With skyward sword i get exactly that. The elements of zelda that i adore, Hearts (With complaints about the same old same old, these are a plus in my book. When they create a Zelda game i want a majority of the stuff i have seen before with subtle differences. With that i mostly mean upon mechanics, format etc. On the other hand the story should be its own new thing every time around. With skyward sword i get exactly that. The elements of zelda that i adore, Hearts ( Including Beeping), Music, Dungeons, Side Quests and side characters i couldnt be happier. they upgraded the fighting to 1:1 which is always fun and although the enemies sometimes get really repetitive, in what game do they not?. All in all 10/10 for me Expand
  6. Nov 29, 2011
    Has the world gone mad???? 30 negative reviews???this is just unbelievable...the game is brilliant having a very impressive art style(even though i liked twilight princess more on regard of the art style)the games motion controls are the best I've seen yet,i think that we might be looking at the game of the year
  7. Nov 30, 2011
    Amazing game:) I really enjoyed it. The story, characters, control and even more were great. The graphics were amazing love the art style. It felt like you were really there! Also, the items were awesome, now it makes it better because of the new item system which it's better than using and switching 3 different items once in a while. The music was great, thanks Koji Kondo! The music feltAmazing game:) I really enjoyed it. The story, characters, control and even more were great. The graphics were amazing love the art style. It felt like you were really there! Also, the items were awesome, now it makes it better because of the new item system which it's better than using and switching 3 different items once in a while. The music was great, thanks Koji Kondo! The music felt good to be alive! The game brought and 25 music anniversary cd which is amazing! I was eating my dinner while listening to it and it felt good and relax some of my favorites were in the cd too:) The enemies were challenging to defeat because it was like a puzzle which its great cause I love puzzles in the Zelda games. The dungeons were amazing and you can go back to them which is awesome! I recommend this game if you play video games! Trust me is a game you don't want to miss:) Expand
  8. Dec 1, 2011
    Just finished game! So i feel ready to critique now. I have mixed opinions. Its a bit overrated wich is why i borrowed a wii and bought this game. Its a good game but not quite great. OCARINA HAS NOT MET ITS MATCH. However it has advancements in many ways. Gameplay is the best feature. The motion controls are way fun! but not perfect, but cool. They make the combat twice as good. TheJust finished game! So i feel ready to critique now. I have mixed opinions. Its a bit overrated wich is why i borrowed a wii and bought this game. Its a good game but not quite great. OCARINA HAS NOT MET ITS MATCH. However it has advancements in many ways. Gameplay is the best feature. The motion controls are way fun! but not perfect, but cool. They make the combat twice as good. The stamina meter is a huge plus! The visuals are strong as well ,in different, more artistic ways than ps3 or xbox. Perfect balance of ww and tp. And there is some great challenging puzzles in the game. Even for someone who has played a lot of zelda. So GREAT in all those areas! BUT there is several annoyances and shortcomings. The overall story was weak and disorganised. Sometimes hard to tell when a temple starts, seems ur doing poinless busy work before temples sometimes. Bosses and are Mostly good. Music is weak 4 zelda. Everything seems scattered and not so special. To many bugs not enough keys Overall 88 good not great Expand
  9. Dec 1, 2011
    Controls are perfect. Just throw away your Wii and go sleep if you have control problems. Anyway I'm so blessed that I could play the game during my life.
  10. Dec 2, 2011
    Uno de los videojuegos mejores diseñados de los ultimos 10 años. Un espectaculo artistico y jugable. Sentiras que realmente nunca habias jugado a algo parecido. No puede faltar en tu coleccion.
  11. Dec 3, 2011
    What can I say? It's Zelda! You can't go wrong, but there is a few problems in the game. Like the motion controls. I like it but sometimes it can be a pain. You do a horizontal attack, it does a vertical. The shield can get in the way sometimes, people won't shut the hell up, but other then that the game is really enjoyable. The story is okay could have been better. Fi your sidekick youWhat can I say? It's Zelda! You can't go wrong, but there is a few problems in the game. Like the motion controls. I like it but sometimes it can be a pain. You do a horizontal attack, it does a vertical. The shield can get in the way sometimes, people won't shut the hell up, but other then that the game is really enjoyable. The story is okay could have been better. Fi your sidekick you can say, is very boring she has no personally and she talks like a robot. But the good thing is she not as annoying as the others in the Zelda games. Therefore it does big improvement but does have it's falls. It's still a great Zelda game and needs to be pick up. Expand
  12. Dec 9, 2011
    I think negative/mixed reviews are out of mind. I can comprehend the issues of this game, but it remains the best demonstration of the Wii spectacular controller and the best game in this generation (maybe Skyrim can compete with this, but only Skyrim). The best Zelda ever.
  13. Dec 5, 2011
    I judge games on an individual level. I liked the game in itself more than Skyrim, I have more fun. Even IGN reviewers said they feel that Skyward Sword surpassed Ocarina of Time with this one, and if I am correct, IGN are usually biased towards Nintendo games, so..... by saying it surpassed TLOZOOT, they are indirectly saying they feel it is the best game of all time since OOT isI judge games on an individual level. I liked the game in itself more than Skyrim, I have more fun. Even IGN reviewers said they feel that Skyward Sword surpassed Ocarina of Time with this one, and if I am correct, IGN are usually biased towards Nintendo games, so..... by saying it surpassed TLOZOOT, they are indirectly saying they feel it is the best game of all time since OOT is considered by majority of gamers as the best of all time period, not ever really questioned.

Skyrim is great, I think they should tie, but if you have to choose, it's Skyward Sword. And you call it garbage, IGN and GameInformer rated Skyward a 10 and IGN and GI rated Skyrim a 9.5 (but Skyward is garbage...). Skyrim has more perfect scores because it was release 9 days earlier and more promotion, and multiple platforms.

I don't like that there are strictly Skyrim players voting that haven't even given Zelda a try, can't wait for Wii U so people can stop talking about Nintendo's graphics, btw Skyward Sword graphics in my honest opinion are better, it's unique rather than trying to be like everyone else with trying so hard to look realistic... Gameplay > Graphics, that's why Nintendo games are considered the best overall, Quality > Quantity.

And you guys keep saying Skyward is short compared to Skyrim like that matters, same with us saying Skyward has no glitches, but really games are meant to have fun, not try to take your life away (which skyward did for me lol).

Vote based purely on gameplay, and the vote would have to go to The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword. Vote based on the game as a whole and the vote would have to go to The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword.

I really hope Skyward Sword wins GOTY.
  14. Dec 9, 2011
    I wanted to give this game a perfect 10, I really did. Skyward Sword is a great game. But I couldn't help but feel something was missing afterwards. I went in with extremely high expectations, and it did meet a lot of them. The controls are fantastic. They make you feel like you're weilding the sword itself. The graphics aren't HD, but that's not what it was trying to do. The art style isI wanted to give this game a perfect 10, I really did. Skyward Sword is a great game. But I couldn't help but feel something was missing afterwards. I went in with extremely high expectations, and it did meet a lot of them. The controls are fantastic. They make you feel like you're weilding the sword itself. The graphics aren't HD, but that's not what it was trying to do. The art style is a perfect balance between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and it captures the spirit of Zelda perfectly. The gameplay was typical Zelda (which itself is a good thing) with a few changes, like the hub world, and one that I hope sticks with the series, upgradeable items and breakable shields. It made your rupees and collectibles worth something, and throughout the whole game I was compelled to find different items to make my items better.
    I think my gripe, however, is with the actual pacing of the story, mainly the 2nd half, as it actually starts to drag down the gameplay with fetch quests. There is a lot of "go here, talk to this person, go there, collect this, go back here, wait I need one more thing, go there again." Maybe that's a little bit of an exadgerration, but by the tail end of the game I really wanted to move along with the story, because it gets interesting. I got the feeling the developers wanted to add a little more play time in, but I personally would have preferred less play time in the story mode than to start getting bored by it. And by the time you get all these quests out of the way and make your way to the final leg of the game, it's over in a flash. Be warned; the epic finale of Ocarina of Time, this is not. I definately missed that feeling during the games last moments. The ending felt rushed, and left me wanting more, but not in a good way. Overall, Skyward Sword is definately earning the praise it's been getting, but there's still something missing. Next time, hopefully Nintendo will keep introducing us to awesome new gameplay elements right up until the very end of the game instead of sacrificing quality for quantity.
  15. Dec 9, 2011
    Zelda introduces next gen gameplay paradigms, resulting in a fun, unique game with a great story. Even the much-maligned motion controls work well. Yet the game is still uniquely Zelda. Kudos to Nintendo.
  16. Dec 10, 2011
    Let's just say, this game is an absolute masterpiece. This is quite possibly the best game I have ever played. Nintendo perfectly blended beautiful music, a great art style, a surprisingly deep story, and perfect controls into this. The 5 years of work paid off amazingly.
  17. Dec 11, 2011
    This game is a masterpiece. The story is immersive, the gameplay is extremely enjoyable and will take you a very decent amount of time to fully complete. Also the addition of Hero Mode extends the time you will likely spend playing this absolutely fantastic game. For those of you who really appreciate the music in a game, Skyward Sword will have you begging for a Soundtrack release - theThis game is a masterpiece. The story is immersive, the gameplay is extremely enjoyable and will take you a very decent amount of time to fully complete. Also the addition of Hero Mode extends the time you will likely spend playing this absolutely fantastic game. For those of you who really appreciate the music in a game, Skyward Sword will have you begging for a Soundtrack release - the music is utterly great. Finally, the Nintendo Wii has become the games console it was always intended to be with the release of a truly majestic game in the form of a ground-breakingly good adventure.
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword completely justifies the purchase of a Nintendo Wii, if only for this title.
  18. Dec 12, 2011
    This was a great game that I had fun playing through. The motion controls are great to a point, but I found sometimes i would be doing the "right" thing to proceed on a puzzle but not be emphasizing the right movement with the motion controls. I would end up checking online and be like I have been doing that all along. I can overlook those 10 minutes of frustration here and there.This was a great game that I had fun playing through. The motion controls are great to a point, but I found sometimes i would be doing the "right" thing to proceed on a puzzle but not be emphasizing the right movement with the motion controls. I would end up checking online and be like I have been doing that all along. I can overlook those 10 minutes of frustration here and there. Another major flaw in the game is whenever you pick up an item for the first time each session it will go to a big cut scene and be like "oh hoorah you already have 10 of these but you got one for the first time again." The open sky area isn't as cool as Hyrule Field as you can do less exploring, at least put some mini dungeons on those islands or something. Aside from these gripes the dungeons were amazing, boss fights great, and a great story line. The issues i mentioned were the only thing keeping this from a 10. For a title like Zelda it is unacceptable to have these issues. Expand
  19. Dec 22, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played, outstanding story, gameplay, presentation, controls, puzzles, music, everything!!!!!!!!!!!
    The game is also very long, my playthrough took about 45 hours while completing about half the side quests.
    If you don't have a Wii, go out and get one just for this game. And if you do have one, why aren't you playing this game now?!?!
  20. Dec 27, 2011
    Another Zelda game, another entirely overrated game. This franchise has been stagnating since the release of Ocarina of Time. Graphics - Really? This is 2011, and after 5 years in development, this game still looks awful. I have never been a fan of the cartoon look (an i'm not alone), but even I knew Wind Waker looked beautiful. This game, however, does not. Moreover, if you'reAnother Zelda game, another entirely overrated game. This franchise has been stagnating since the release of Ocarina of Time. Graphics - Really? This is 2011, and after 5 years in development, this game still looks awful. I have never been a fan of the cartoon look (an i'm not alone), but even I knew Wind Waker looked beautiful. This game, however, does not. Moreover, if you're Nintendo, you will probably not increase the appeal of this series by choosing this particular art style.

Gameplay- Typical Wii crap, but even worse. Look, I've played plenty of Wii games, and the games where the controls haven't been an issue are those where the whole motion controls aren't stressed (example being DKC Returns). However, Skyward Sword does stress the motion controls, and it doesn't do a good job. Holding your shied up is whatever, and the so-called "precise" sword slices aren't precise. Also, you're better off just avoiding attacks than using your shield, and most enemies on most occasions can be defeated by basic button-mashing sword slicing. Making those so focused upon, and supposedly essential precise sword swings unnecessary. Story- The only aspect of the game which I don't completely dislike. Having said that, it's not executed all that well. It reminds of Wind Waker, which I thought had an interesting concept to it, but wasn't told or illustrated in a good way. The same applies to this game. Some of the reasons for the game's lackluster story stem from poor English grammar (a lot of fragments, clunky sentences, weird language, etc.). The game also spends a lot of time telling you important to mundane things 2 to 3 times, which is aggravating. Most of the time though, there is just too much useless conversations (which cannot be skipped, only sped up). Also, when will Zelda incorporate voice talent? It really is noticeable in this game for the forgoing reasons. Other - There are other issues which bring this game down. First off, I hope you like backtracking, because there will be plenty of that (which is a cardinal sin I believe in a Zelda series). Second, most of the weapons offered in this game aren't all that good, or rarely used (the game is honestly obsessed with the sword, something I have never seen in a Zelda; maybe Zelda II?). Third, despite this game being the first to use a full orchestra, the songs aren't memorable nor made to fully take advantage of the instruments. Fourth, the game takes about 5+ hours before it actually gets interesting; that's absolutely inexcusable for any game, movie, book, etc. Again, this will not appeal to any new fans. Moreover, the ease of this game (the constant hand holding, coddling is pathetic). In the end, I don't think this game is awful, but its not great, let alone the "best Zelda ever" as so many idiots have noted. This game is weaker than Twilight, which was weaker than Wind Waker, which was weaker than Ocarina. The series simply hasn't been magical in 10+ years, and this recent entry further solidifies my idea that this series is and will continue to stagnate

[Note: I gave this game a 0 only to drop its rating from 7.7, which is WAY to high]
  21. Dec 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay where do I even begin? This game is a masterpiece and a must have for all of the gamers out there. This game brought me back to the "good old days" when I would sit in my room, away from all distractions playing some Zelda. I spent my entire week playing this game and didn't face a single moment of boredom. The only annoying thing about this game was having to reset the calibration on my wii motion plus controller every now and again. Despite the resseting issues, the motion sensing gameplay was fantastic. I did miss the Zoras and Dekus but the replacement kikwis, parella and mogmas are a new look at the Zelda universe and are actually pretty cool. The boss battlesgradually grow harder as you proceed into the story. The environment is huge. Flying your loftwing is great. The entire game is compelling and, as hard as it is to say this, matches the greatness of LoZ OoT! Expand
  22. RRR
    Jan 3, 2012
    There are simply no words for how good The Legend of Zelda is. All of the games that have been launched into the market by Nintendo are great, but Skyward Sword is really amazing. I have not been able to stop playing it, since I got a few days ago. Nintendo Repair Shop
    www nintendorepairshop com
  23. Jan 18, 2012
    Please you introduce classic control system.
    Motion control is a ****
    The Legend of Zelda SS is a worse game after The Legend of Zelda WW and TP, in fact they demonstrate it to the sales.
    It gets worse sales for The Legend of Zelda home of the history
  24. Jan 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I Am a greatest for the legend of zelda, but I have not absolutely appreciated new combat system.
    The legend of zelda is not bad hack and slash, is beautiful adventure. motion plus is annoying and tiring controller. Please returned classic control in the future, otherwise I will not buy wii u
  25. Feb 11, 2012
    The graphics and characters are incredible, the sounds and music are great. The challenges are awesome. Or would be, except...

Nintendo has removed the features that made older Zelda games popular and successful; searching, thinking, reasoning out challenges. In Skyward Sword you're shown or told at least twice everything you have to do to proceed. Not only are you not given a chance to think for yourself, you're prevented from doing it. Zelda is now a movie with interminable and inescapable cut scenes punctuated with "twitch" game segments. It's no wonder Nintendo is having financial difficulties.
  26. Feb 23, 2012
    One of the best games I have ever played. Nintendo have managed to correct every mistake in the past Zelda games and have created the best game on the Wii.
    The controls do exactly as I do, at the same time as me. Anyone with control lag or the controller not working, there are malfunctions in your MotionPlus. It works perfectly for me, with only a few mistakes when trying to fly upwards on the Loftwing.
    The art style, which would be an oil pastel/cartoony style, works with the Wii's poor graphical content, and looks like an early Xbox 360/PS3 game.
    The story is amazing, and I became imersed in it. How Nintendo managed to make the same old 'the princess is captured, go save her' into an amazing story, totally different from any other Zelda game, is unknown to me.
    The gameplay is amazing, and makes, yet again, a sucessful puzzle/action game.
    The additions of an upgrade system can be helpful, but brings along the age old monotonous sidequest of "find 5 of X and 2 of X".
    This game took me about 40 hours to finish the main quest, and I find that amazing how they can manage to keep a sucessful story running for that long, and how the puzzles can be more vexing than ever. The sidequests and upgrading everything kept me going for about 15-20 more hours.
    I can only find two tiny little faults with this amazing game, which I mentioned before, which was the monotonous sidequest of finding random items, and the little slip up in flying.
    This game is the only game, other than Fallout 3, which has made me say 'wow' outloud, countless times throughout. A must buy if you own a Wii. If you don't buy it for the simple reason of it being on the Wii, then you are missing out on an breathtaking experience.
  27. Mar 5, 2012
    I thought it couldn't be done. Since that dreadful Chrismas where I received Zelda 2: Link from Satan Clause . I was then subjected to the most depressing and frustrating game since TWO months ago when I got Super Mario Bros 2 for my birthday!! Mario aside, since that abomination (that was traded for Metroid to a naive neighbour! Whooo!) I have loved and enjoyed EVERY LoZ game. I'm notI thought it couldn't be done. Since that dreadful Chrismas where I received Zelda 2: Link from Satan Clause . I was then subjected to the most depressing and frustrating game since TWO months ago when I got Super Mario Bros 2 for my birthday!! Mario aside, since that abomination (that was traded for Metroid to a naive neighbour! Whooo!) I have loved and enjoyed EVERY LoZ game. I'm not going to wax poetic about every game I've played from the series, I'll just say my three favourite are Link to the Past, Majora's Mask and Windwaker. But I love every game in different ways, except for 2 and now Skyward Sword! The start was well told and the gameplay was fun. I was getting frustrated with the bird controls but presumed it was just first time play issues. Fast forward to the action and exploring aspects that were, again, frustrating but with these in time I got wise to but not the bird controls, which still had some serious stank to it!!! Though I will give a high five to the dropping off the bird and skydiving to a destination which looked very cool! The sword play is just like Twilight but a little more precise, the balancing/ledging was hard at first but got easy over time, the items were half and half with my real complaint being no boomerang!! I was a bit disappointed by the repeat boss, the mining facility, the beetle, the main bad guy, the utility belt, and that idiot clown mini-game. But my biggest frown was how little exploration and secrets there was. Only a handful of levels and very, very little exploring made the gameplay really repetitive and lacklustre. By the time I got to the air monster, I was in full depression and felt "Here we go again" which I NEVER had even in Majora's!! And that was Link's answer to Groundhog Day!!!! So I was really excited at the start, got emotional at points, had some fun but in the end I was left unfulfilled and frustrated. I'm not saying to avoid this game. If you love Zelda then buy this now!! If you've never played Zelda and am somewhat a game player, this game is actually very good as it helps you along and gives you minor hints. Though as a fan I found it very annoying after a while especially Fi's COMPUTER talk! I was just disappointed as a major fan, maybe due to me getting old and crusty!! What did it for me was that I had no need to play this game again after beating it and it has been some time now. That is what told me that Zelda 2, along with Mario 2, Kirby's Epic Yawn and Metroid Other M now had a new companion in my Nintendo Temple of Bore. Sorry again Link. Expand
  28. Apr 19, 2012
    I want to establish something before I write this review: When I purchased Skyward Sword, I was tremendously excited to play it. Zelda is a big deal to me. I'm 20 years old, so I was the perfect age to discover Ocarina of Time when I did. It seeded itself into my heart as one of the most magical experiences from my childhood, and therefor my life so far. I've heeded the call to save ZeldaI want to establish something before I write this review: When I purchased Skyward Sword, I was tremendously excited to play it. Zelda is a big deal to me. I'm 20 years old, so I was the perfect age to discover Ocarina of Time when I did. It seeded itself into my heart as one of the most magical experiences from my childhood, and therefor my life so far. I've heeded the call to save Zelda and Hyrule many times over now. I've traveled to other lands and even other dimensions, and just when I think I've seen it all, each games offers an array of new experiences and topics. Every game in the series thus far has given me memories that I'll always have, even now (I only recently beat Wind Waker and A Link to the Past). The point that I want to make is that I had never been disappointed in a Zelda game, and never imagined I ever would be, until Skyward Sword.
    Whatever excitement I had tearing into the foil around the case and putting the disc into the Wii was rather quickly diminished after maybe an hour of playing this game. After Twilight Princess, I had come to expect long tutorials in Zelda, but come on.. And when you finally arrive in the untamed world of Hyrule, it resembles a playground. There are only three areas on the map for you to explore, and theyre all quite small. It's very simple: there's a forest area, a volcano area, and a desert area, and they're not that attractive visually. You will be visiting the same three maps many, many times. Yes, these maps expand later, but its not enough, and 2 out of 3 times, those additions are too similar to the original map for my taste. They just feel like simple levels in the game, rather than areas to explore, without anyone to really interact with on the scale seen in nearly every Zelda game before. That brings me to the characters. I don't like them, no one stands in a way I'll remember, aside from the core characters in the story, and there aren't too many. I did however feel myself really involved in Groose's story, but ultimately failed to impress me. Fi has her moments, but you can count them on one hand. The story itself is okay, but "safe". I wish Nintendo would have tried new things this time around, given the production time of this game. It just doesnt stand out over any Zelda game I've played before, at all. I do remember going back and forth fetching items many times though. While it does have plenty of moments, it could have been much more. And for fans who care, there are maybe 2 memorable songs in this game. That's saying a lot for a Zelda title. What I feel happened is Nintendo sacrificed much of their grasp on what makes their franchise magical because of the focus on the Wii Motion Plus, which is sad, because it doesn't work that well. Before Skyward Sword was released, I trusted Nintendo that they would never implement a control scheme into a Zelda game if it did not work, and I was excited to see the Motion Plus in action, but it immediately failed to deliver. He never held the sword like I was holding it. I struggled with swinging my sword exactly the way I needed to for hours. Hours of clumsy buggy controls. What's sad is that you can feel the potential, had the Wii Motion Plus delivered. Most of the items are great ideas, but like the swordplay, they come up short because of how buggy the controls are overall. Most frustratingly, the "Skyward Strike", which consists of you charging your sword by holding the Wiimote over your head and then swinging it downwards, is a pretty important part of the final boss battle, and in the heat of the moment, it failed 4 out of 5 times. I died 13 times before I beat him.
    One thing I really did like: the dungeons. You will remember these dungeons, they are terrifically difficult, and all of the items in your inventory to good use during your time in each one. They feel fantastic, look fantastic, and you'll feel all the more brilliant every time you conquer one. Too bad most of the bosses disappoint, save a couple (Dungeon 5's boss is a brilliant battle). I'm giving this game a 7 out of 10, and I wrote this review with the intention of justifying a 6 out of 10 score, but there are redeeming points in this game. It's still a lengthy adventure, full of puzzles and things to be discovered, but there are so many disappointments, which is rare for this series. This was my least favorite title in that series, so I think it speaks for the entire series that I'm giving it a decent 7. Try not to buy it, but any Zelda fan should play it, but don't expect anything more memorable than anything released in this franchise's impressive 25-year run.
  29. May 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a die-hard Zelda fan I was a little sceptical, thinking the graphics looked a little weird. Now that I've played it, I still think they look weird, but in a fantastically charming way. My favourite game of all time is Ocarina, but I would place this a close second.
    The first major thing in Skyward Sword, after the funky graphics, is the motion plus sword-play. For the first hour (or three) it really annoyed me, because I wasn't very good at it, and got more frustrated when simply wildly swinging the remote actually did worse than me trying properly. The enemy that annoyed me the most early on was the Lizalfos, but by the end of the game, I could kick their asses in seconds, because I had improved along the way, which is an aspect I loved.
    The music and puzzles, which have always been a particular forte of the series, were true to form. I had a blast playing it. This Zelda really pulled away from the endless torch lighting, and block pushing you get in some of the older games (which I love too btw.) Some of the challenges were downright inspiring.
    I liked being able to upgrade items, and having to customize my inventory depending on upcoming challenges. The bosses were fantastic, as well, with the final boss fight being one of the most interesting I've seen for a while (no tennis).
    Some of the new items were brilliant. I absolutely loved being able to look around a room, and plan out what I was supposed to do, without having to move, using the beetle (especially once upgraded). The wind-bag thing kinda sucked because it didn't seem to do anything outside of blowing sand around (it can't even put out torches). I was glad to see the clawshots return - they were awesome in TP, and similarly so in SS.
    The story, of course, was typical Zelda style. It starts out slow, but once you get a little ways into it, it gets so much better.
    There were, however, some niggling annoyances in there too. One such problem was that Fi, the weird, statistically minded alien thing, living in your sword, would constantly try and explain what I was supposed to do, essentially solving the only challenging part of the puzzle for me, to the point where I would simply look away from the screen any time she said anything.
    Another was the overworld. You have literally the entire sky extending as far as you can see, and the only islands other than the main one were some lacklustre mini-games and a rather pointless little bar type thing. Really, the only thing I missed in this game, that made me love some of the older titles (especially Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess) was the grit and mystery of it. It was really cheerful, all of the time. I just wish everything wasn't so obvious all the time. Also, I beat the final boss so fast, without losing any health, because he was way too predictable. Scale it up towards the end Nintendo - we like a challenge. If the enemy is supposed to be the King of Evil, and this terrifying demon which couldn't be killed by the goddesses, why does he bounce off my shield like a stick wielded by a small child?

In all, however, the game engrossed me from start to finish, even with the annoyances, and I strongly recommend people at least try it, in lieu of the dubious graphics.
  30. May 15, 2012
    The best game on wii hands down and the only game that uses motion controls where I didn't feel like it would be improved by a regular control scheme, or by not existing period.
  31. May 20, 2012
    Really great game. I love Zelda games, but as an adult it is very hard to ask for the franchise to amaze me like it did when I was a child, when everything was innately more impressive and magical. This instalment of the Zelda series features a beautiful world. Great characters and plot, fantastic game play and controls. The graphics are as good as you're going to get on the Wii. Only realReally great game. I love Zelda games, but as an adult it is very hard to ask for the franchise to amaze me like it did when I was a child, when everything was innately more impressive and magical. This instalment of the Zelda series features a beautiful world. Great characters and plot, fantastic game play and controls. The graphics are as good as you're going to get on the Wii. Only real negative I can think of is that other than the sky there isn't really any great open expanse to explore like in you'd old 2d Zelda games and OoT. But that's not to say there isn't plenty to explore. My favourite Zelda since OoT. Expand
  32. Dec 14, 2012
    Honestly this game is the best I have played in years. "The controls, as long as you correctly calibrate them every time you boot the game, work flawlessly. Honestly I am really disappointed in humanity with all these trolls. The gameplay is flaw less, and it is paced very good from the start, a first for Zelda! The soundtrack is loads better than Twilight Princess, and the gameplay is noHonestly this game is the best I have played in years. "The controls, as long as you correctly calibrate them every time you boot the game, work flawlessly. Honestly I am really disappointed in humanity with all these trolls. The gameplay is flaw less, and it is paced very good from the start, a first for Zelda! The soundtrack is loads better than Twilight Princess, and the gameplay is no longer button mashing. The must own game for Wii. Expand
  33. Jul 18, 2012
    The Zelda series was born of Shigeru Miyamoto's childhood adventures around the Kyoto countryside, where he would discover caves, lakes and most of all, the joy of exploration.

This has been retired in the latest instalment, where exploration and vast seamless worlds have been sacrificed completely in favour of rigid, isolated adventure 'arenas'. Gone are the open waters of Great Sea, the dusty sunsets of Hyrule Fields, the intriguing duality of the light and dark worlds. Hearken in three, tiny, boxed-off playgrounds.

And a sky, oh how could I forget the sky? Three-dozen floating rocks of varying degrees of pointlessness.

I found this title utterly disappointing. Not only is the exploration the series was born from gone, but we're graced with the most boring and vacant Link to date - who's only response to his charming new world is a series of awkward grunts.

Dull, forgettable music (Song of the Goddess is the only one that was memorable). An irritating and bland support character (especially when compared to Midna and Linebeck), awkward and unresponsive controls (flight...), and it pains me to say this, but ugly and dated graphics.

Perhaps standalone, this title would be alright, but not as a Zelda title. Not even close.
  34. Sep 20, 2012
    I can only say one thing... THAT, GAME, IS, AMAZING. The best Zelda game, the best wii game, the best adventure/platform game i ever happen to play. I RECOMMEND IT, TRULY
  35. Oct 4, 2012
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is a great game, one of the best available on the Nintendo Wii, but a disappointment for any long-time Zelda fan.
    If you've never played a LOZ game before, chances are you will see through the many issues of this game. The game suffers from a lot of pacing problems. Fetch-quests dominate many hours of this game and grow very tedious when flying around the over world is such a slow progress. The over world in itself is very bland and does little to encourage exploration, which is a huge part of any other LOZ game. You will come across many floating islands, but these house nothing interesting for you to discover. The game also suffers from padding problems. You'll be exploring and expanding three major areas throughout the game (a forest, mountain and desert). This Metroid-like backtracking approach is clever enough, and a fresh direction for the series, but one that grows boring when you'll do fetch-quests in these areas and fighting the same bosses up to three times. With this approach the game tries to pack more content in between the game's 7 dungeons, which is a fresh idea after Twilight Princess that consisted of walking from dungeon to dungeon. As already stated, this content is sadly mostly about fetch-quests, like collecting random tears, fish-notes (dafuq?) or filling a tub with water in order to extinguish a fire. The game improves upon the very shallow motion controls of TP, so much in fact, that it does not come with the option to play it with a normal controller. This is a mixed result. While the controls work most of the time and offer interesting gameplay, they are not always responsive, which can be very frustrating when playing through the game's harder "Hero" mode, or the "Boss rush" mode.
    Skyward Sword is a very cinematic experience, sporting a charming paint-like visual style and great cut-scenes driven by fantastic facial animations. There is still no voice-acting in this game, which is about time, but the animations mostly make up for this. The story does nothing new for the franchise. This is your typical "Zelda gets kidnapped, Link has to go through 7 dungeons in order to rescue her" story. To great disappointment, the cast of characters is very limited, considering the minimum amount of side-quests available in the game. Speaking of side-quests, these come in different qualities: There are some interesting personal ones, while carrying pumpkins is downright lame. The main story boasts about 6 major characters: Link, Zelda, Fi, Ghirahim, Groose and Impa. The only ones of those that shine are Zelda and Groose, because they are the only characters to see any kind of development. Link is good thanks to the animations, but he is silent and mysterious once more, so not much can be said about him. Ghirahim, the new villain of the game, is interesting at first, but quickly becomes boring as he has lack of motives and remains the same character throughout all of the game. Impa is just a trickster, there to guide Link and Zelda on their quests. Fi is the new companion, and my god if she isn't awful. You could just as well call her captain Obvious. This creature has a nasty habit of pointing out the obvious for you, constantly, with no way for you to disable her comments. If you see a boss door she will pop up and tell you that it probably requires a special key to open. If you see a lever, she will tell you that there is an 80 % chance that it can be turned, and so on. While perhaps there is a clever approach to this, it quickly becomes frustrating. Fi is by far the worst companion in any Zelda game to date, only shining slightly in the very end of the game.
    The dungeon design in SS is great. While none of the dungeons will go over in history as some of LOZ's best, they are very creative and funny to complete. The boss fights are also fantastic, with the exception of a few you have to fight multiple times. My only complaint about the dungeons is that they are a bit short and easy, mainly because of lack of different and challenging enemies.
    SS also puts a little emphasis on customization, something that is very limited, but nonetheless very welcome. You can now upgrade weapons, armor and potions if you would like to do so.
    LOZ: SS is an average Zelda experience with many obvious flaws. The biggest flaw is that it tries to do so much new for the franchise, while ultimately achieving nothing. The ALTTP/OOT dungeon formula is beginning to show age. It is nice to see more emphasis on content between dungeons, but when this consists of bad padding, it
  36. Oct 27, 2012
    This is NOT the best Zelda game but what a great collection of ideas and controls. The game opens up slowly and is well thought out. Each dungeon has to be worked for, as with most of the Zelda games, but more so in skyward sword. However, when Dungeons are reached they are easy, a lil on the short side and linear. Disappointing (very!).
    The use of clear targets for the hookshot seems
    The use of clear targets for the hookshot seems ridiculous.. ever since windwaker.
    Too often the guidance of fi completely removes any satisfaction any puzzle element would have given. Fi should take notes from Navi. Fi is a spoiler!
    Puzzles are a breeze, but, never before in a zelda game have I died so many times. Ocarina was never so punishing as this outing.
    Sword training could have evolved a bit further.
    The harp - WTF! does it get any more basic? FFS! Epic fail!
    The way the skyward sword world is arranged is BRILLIANT. This is one major score for this game and the choice for quick exploratory detours from the main quest is within easy reach.
    I have enjoyed parts of this game. It contains some wonderful ideas and effects. Experimenting with the new controls has been refreshing.

best bits - Boss Battles, New controls, sound, central island idea, save points, enemy fights

worst bits - Dungeon Difficulty far too easy/ cut scenes no quick skip - Item collect pauses - annoying/ Too lengthy game. Silly sudden deaths at times.

sound - great, outstanding - best ever in a Zelda game

graphics - great for wii

boss difficulty - Balanced.

best Zelda? - No way is it Skyward Sword! Ocarina of Time still reigns.

NOTES

How brave to have gone with wiimote design for this console.
    Amazing to think OOT achieved so much all that time ago.
  37. Nov 11, 2012
    THIS IS THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!!! Ya wanna know why cuz this game has a really good soundtrack, comedy, drama, action to make a videogame cake! I personally love this game it changed my life it got me all fluffy inside when i play it, it made me feel like i can do anything that is why my friends this game is a perfect 10.
  38. Dec 15, 2012
    This game has it's good parts and bad parts. The reason I got this game was because many big game review companies were putting out 10/10 for this game. Maybe I just don't like this genre (this is the first Zelda game I have played), but I just didn't like it as much as most reviewers.

The graphics: This game is not bad to look at, but it just doesn't stand out above any other games I have played. The characters and creatures are animated nicely.

The controls: The controls took me a long time to get used to. However, the sword-swinging with the Wii motion plus is amazing. With my own experience, it responded with little lag and very accurately. Shaking the nunchuck to use a shield bash was also well implemented.

The sound: The music is nice, but it didn't stand out all that much either. I do think that some of links voice clips are quite funny. if you accidentally burn yourself in lava, then you will know what I am talking about.

The gameplay: I found it lacking at some points. Sometimes, quite boring. I would often explore for a very long time with very few enemies to battle. Some of the puzzles had answers that took a very long time for me to figure out. Sometimes I would try looking for a hint online, and then I figured out that the reason why I didn't solve the puzzle was because of a small detail that wasn't very obvious. Battling is fun, and I did enjoy the boss fights.

The story: The story is one of the strong points. I found it (at least the parts I have played through) to be emotional, and the cut scenes are well animated.

Maybe I don't like this genre of games, but make sure to read many reviews to see if you want to play this game.
  39. Jan 11, 2013
    I wasn't particularly fond of Twilight Princess and how it implemented the Wii controllers, so I was initially skeptic about Skyward Sword. This game ended up surpassing my expectations immensely. I now consider it nearly tied in greatness with Ocarina of Time (my all-time favorite Zelda game). Visually stunning, accurate and innovative controllers, tremendous gameplay. Do NOT pass this game up.
  40. Mar 2, 2013
    My favorite game yet, we'll deserving of a ten. The art style is amazing, motion controls are the best of any game I've ever played, the wii at its finest. It has a slow start, but the ending, which in my opinion is the best in the series, more than makes up for it. The overworld, although a bit restrictive, is awesome, like one huge mini-dungeon. With the exclusion of the lanayruMy favorite game yet, we'll deserving of a ten. The art style is amazing, motion controls are the best of any game I've ever played, the wii at its finest. It has a slow start, but the ending, which in my opinion is the best in the series, more than makes up for it. The overworld, although a bit restrictive, is awesome, like one huge mini-dungeon. With the exclusion of the lanayru province, the overworld and its inhabitants didn't make you care for them quite as much games like tp and OOT, and that could have been made a bit better, but the main driving motive of the game more than makes up for the slightly less immersive world. Honestly the best game I've ever played, even though it had some minor flaws. If tp and this had a baby, then it would be perfect, but this alone is pretty close. 10/10. Expand
  41. Mar 13, 2013
    Amazing!! Great all around, unless you are clumsy with a wii mote haha. I have the presence of mind to not ask for hints or read the tips, so I don't have the problem of it "holding my hand" too much. I am pretty good with a wii mote, so combat is fun. I loved the art style, music, and tendency to stray from the formula a bit. The stats of Fi are just for effect, and are obviously nothingAmazing!! Great all around, unless you are clumsy with a wii mote haha. I have the presence of mind to not ask for hints or read the tips, so I don't have the problem of it "holding my hand" too much. I am pretty good with a wii mote, so combat is fun. I loved the art style, music, and tendency to stray from the formula a bit. The stats of Fi are just for effect, and are obviously nothing more than to give her a robotic feel. Overall amazing game!! Expand
  42. Nov 9, 2013
    A triumphant breakthrough in the Zelda series. Skyward Sword innovates on the stagnating Zelda formula in many ways while maintaining the balance of great gameplay and fantastic music. The story and characters were also very interesting. The controls also felt great. While a bit strange at first, the sword controls soon feel like an extension of your own hand within an hour and it will beA triumphant breakthrough in the Zelda series. Skyward Sword innovates on the stagnating Zelda formula in many ways while maintaining the balance of great gameplay and fantastic music. The story and characters were also very interesting. The controls also felt great. While a bit strange at first, the sword controls soon feel like an extension of your own hand within an hour and it will be difficult ever going back to standard button combat controls. Expand
  43. Nov 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is my Favorite Zelda 3d Zelda game. The new motion controls )once you take a couple hours to get used to them) feel fantastic and make combat more interesting. I also love how you can upgrade your items and make them more powerful if you take the time to get the necessary materials. The dungeons are fantastic and the bosses are very memorable. The game looks gorgeous and I still don't understand how Nintendo is pushing the Wii that far graphically. The music is par with the rest of the 3d releases (which means fantastic), and this rendition of Zelda's Lullaby nearly bought me to tears a handful of times in the game. The only problem I have with the game was the padding at the end when you have to revisit the earlier areas for that giant flying dragon and fighting that imprisoned like 4 times. It was very unnecessary and gave me the same feeling of fetching all of the Triforce pieces in Wind Waker. Overall, I love the game and I want to thank Nintendo for trying to bring something new to the table and overwhelmingly succeeding. Expand
  44. Feb 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would be willing to give this game a much better review if it wasn't a Zelda game. That said, it is a Zelda game and an allegedly landmark (25th Anniversary) one at that.

Let's start with the controls. They aren't terrible but they aren't great. Some of the new stuff (targeted diving and harp playing for example) feels clunky and rushed while the old stuff (targeting slingshot/bow and attacking with the sword for example) didn't get a good translation for the Wii Remote.

Also, I get that it's the first Legend of Zelda made for the Wii and everyone loves swinging the Wii remote but that does NOT mean every enemy in the game needs some form of directional blocking ability. The Zelda series is great, in part, because of its puzzles-not because it takes several minutes to kill basic enemies when they block your attack over and over again because the controls aren't responding (you slash horizontal and Link slashes diagonal and gets countered-hard)

Where this game truly fails, and why it should be a standalone game, is in the story. Every Legend of Zelda game since Ocarina of Time (at least) has had certain elements and this game had a perfect opportunity to explain where some of that came from but it didn't.

One glaring example of this is the ring of clouds around Death Mountain in OOT, I thought it would be a nice touch for this game would explain why it was there but this game didn't even mention Death Mountain. Another example is instead of using the existing races of Hyrule (Gorons and Zoras) Skyward Sword introduces three new races (Mogmas, Robots and Parellas) who have never been seen before or since-there is some speculation that Parellas may be an evolutionary ancestor of the Zora though this is not stated in game. We do, however, learn why Link always wears green.

Moving on...

I'm honestly unsure what category to put this next failure in but one extreme weak point of the game in my opinion is the inability to walk/run from one province on the surface to another. The requirement to return to the sky is just odd considering the map shows that the provinces border each other. In a move that falls into the same category of not sure where to put it, this game lacks a certain epic quality which is evident when they simply flood the requisite forest to make the equally requisite lake. I have two problems with this. One-there is a lake in the game and it's sizable-USE IT! Two-Twilight Princess was made for a lesser system and had a more epic quality to it than this game does-that isn't right.

Back to a definite story issue: the guardian dragons. Wait what? In Twilight Princess, there were light spirits sent by the goddesses (presumably before they departed Hyrule so before Skyward Sword). Where are they and why do we need dragons now-why can't we just run missions for the light spirits (who have the same names as the dragons anyway). Of the dragons, one is obnoxious, one is forgettable and one hosts a minigame which is a pain but has a cool prize.

After the last battle, you get what feels like a rushed cut scene because someone remembered that it was supposed to be a Zelda game and figured they should explain SOMETHING important. So, with the big bad defeated, we finally learn why Link, Zelda and Ganon are seemingly inseparable forever.

This is actually a very good game. The biggest problem is that it doesn't connect with the rest of the series in any appreciable way. The controls are clunky but serviceable. The story is good but doesn't fit the series in which it exists. This was supposed to be the beginning of the Legend of Zelda but it introduced too much new stuff that doesn't exist anywhere else in the series. Worse, it ignored obvious opportunities to connect to the series-like planting a magic tree, that EASILY could have been the Deku Tree from Ocarina of Time but no-just a tree.
  45. Apr 28, 2014
    I like the plot and characters but i really don't like the graphics or controls. This game does get frustrating sometimes. The temples are also a little to easy and short.
  46. Nov 21, 2014
    Probably the best game in the Wii or the Zelda series. It has all the magic that the series had so far comvined. The visuals are beautiful and the story is pretty, the music is perfect and the characters are unforgettable. And Zelda finally has feelings and objectives and is not a inanimate object made for you to rescue.
  47. Jul 11, 2014
    A really great Zelda game, it's super fun with tons of extra content. Sadly there is A LOT of backtracking. However during my first time playing it I didn't notice the backtracking. The second time I really noticed it though. The relationship between Zelda and Link is fantastic, the storytelling is great and the world is colourful bright and beautiful. However, there are a few things thatA really great Zelda game, it's super fun with tons of extra content. Sadly there is A LOT of backtracking. However during my first time playing it I didn't notice the backtracking. The second time I really noticed it though. The relationship between Zelda and Link is fantastic, the storytelling is great and the world is colourful bright and beautiful. However, there are a few things that are not very well programmed such as thw trees looking like paper. If you're looking for a very story driven Zelda title, I suggest you play this game. If you're looking for something that's a bit freer in terms of where you can go, I suggest A Link Between Worlds. Expand
  48. Jul 29, 2014
    Easily the worst Zelda game ever created, it has a mediocre boring storyline, it's the same dungeon solving except made tedious. I did not even finish this game, it brings nothing new to the series besides gimmicky controls. There is not even a left handed version! Link being left handed and they didn't even bother to make a mode for lefties. Truly a failure, don't waste your time.
  49. Aug 6, 2014
    This game, aside from a legacy (and slightly quirky) control scheme, is an absolute perfect game from start to finish. Building on a proven formula, Skyward Sword takes previous titles like the Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time and throws in some needed new dynamics to keep it fresh. A must have.
  50. Sep 6, 2014
    A great game! One thing i didnt like, was the art style. I mean it was cool, but i think it wasnt good enough. That beeing said, its a really good zelda game!
  51. Sep 11, 2014
    My first 100% playthrough of the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, was an experience I will never forget, for all the right reasons. This game is simply beautiful in just about every aspect that it's trying to do. I loved it so much that I did a 2nd 100% playthrough just a few months afterwards. #3 is right around the corner. The motion controls are the best that the Wii has to offer and itMy first 100% playthrough of the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, was an experience I will never forget, for all the right reasons. This game is simply beautiful in just about every aspect that it's trying to do. I loved it so much that I did a 2nd 100% playthrough just a few months afterwards. #3 is right around the corner. The motion controls are the best that the Wii has to offer and it executes perfectly your WiiMotePlus movements and Link's sword movements are a perfect 1:1 relationship. The dungeons are the best that the series has to offer, everyone of them is a joy to travel trough and none of them were a chore, tedious, or down-right frustrating. (OOT: Water and Forest Temple, MM: Great Bay Temple, TP: City in the Sky) It's linear design will turn off the explorative type of player, and Fi (your partner) can get a little annoying every now and then, but those are very small negatives from what is overall a masterpiece!
    This, in my view, is the best 3D Zelda game ever made!
  52. Nov 21, 2011
    I'd say I'm about half way through the game at this stage. What I have played so far, however, is leading me to believe that I am playing the best game I have ever played, ever. The graphics are the first thing that stuck out for me, this is a Wii game so clearly it's going to be missing out on pixel count and model detail/texture sizes and post processing etc. but you know what, none ofI'd say I'm about half way through the game at this stage. What I have played so far, however, is leading me to believe that I am playing the best game I have ever played, ever. The graphics are the first thing that stuck out for me, this is a Wii game so clearly it's going to be missing out on pixel count and model detail/texture sizes and post processing etc. but you know what, none of that seems to matter. This is by far in large of of the best looking games I have played this generation, Character models, expressions and animation are of a quality only normally seen in a Pixar movie, extremely emotive.

At first I thought the game play was a little clunky, being used to previous Zelda titles, but after realising the character moves more at a walking pace in doors and got out into the one world the controls are much more tight. Motion controls are very tight and having the option to reset the motion sensor with the d-pad makes the whole process super smooth. A lot of the fights difficulty does come from being able to swipe the correct way at the correct time but having just spent close to 50 hours in DarkSouls this is actually very similar to blocking an attack, rolling out of the way and then striking in a particular way at a specific moment. The motion controls simple add a heightened level of involvement and massively increased accuracy when aiming special items.

As far as pacing is concerned It is very well thought out. No dungeon so far has been too long or short and returning to old locations does not drag out like it did in Phantom Hour Glass. The closest experience I can think of is the way Metroid/Castlevania games pan out when finding new areas in old locations or better yet the way A Link to the Past did.

Zelda games weakest point for me in the past has been a lack of continuous story telling. This is actually one of Skyward Sword's best point's as the story is regularly and effectively updated and evolved as the game progresses. No longer are you simply told to go collect the 3 things and get absolutely no story updates until you have.

The cute scenes are of an exceptional quality that Dreamworks would be lucky to achieve - without the use of overpaid acting talent!

The game also has a fairly robust, if not a little simple, item upgrade system that adds another level of depth to game progression - money now feels useful for something other than absolutely necessary purchases.

So on the whole Zelda Skyward Sword is shaping up to be essentially the greatest game I've ever laid by hands on. What I have experienced thus far is certainly 10/10 but I'll update that should the latter half of the game make me change my mind. I somehow doubt that will be the case.
  53. Nov 20, 2011
    One of the best games ever and the best Zelda game in history. Good graphics and excelent gameplay, history and sound. The best wii game ever.
    I have played nearly all Zelda games and I can easily say that this is the way to go for the franchise. Sad that this is the last Zelda game for the Wii. Buy it!
  54. Dec 2, 2011
    The game is just majestic ! It needs some time to get used to gyroscopic aiming, but you can recenter it anytime you want using a button ...

Yes it's storytelling at the start of the adventure, but it's not that bad. Combat moves with the motion controller are just GREAT, and i had no specific problem at all in 40h+ gameplay ... The difficulty is easy to medium most of the time but some

Yes it's storytelling at the start of the adventure, but it's not that bad.

The difficulty is easy to medium most of the time but some challenges and boss are more tricky :)
  55. Nov 27, 2011
    While being a Zelda game makes this a fun game it is left far behind than the rest of the series. The storyline is good and all the characters are in line with what you'd expect from a Zelda game. The game however feels like it's centered around promoting motion plus. It's not so much that the controls are awful as I've read in other reviews rather than they are too much. There are noWhile being a Zelda game makes this a fun game it is left far behind than the rest of the series. The storyline is good and all the characters are in line with what you'd expect from a Zelda game. The game however feels like it's centered around promoting motion plus. It's not so much that the controls are awful as I've read in other reviews rather than they are too much. There are no simple actions in Skyward Sword you always have to make these weird movements to achieve it. Furthermore it is the first game of the series where I found many items useless. For example the whip is only good for riddles in some dungeons, useless after that. The beetle is not usable in combat. As for the shield most times you are better off avoiding an attack rather than blocking it with your fragile shield. In many cases you'd even be better off whacking like crazy at the enemy until you accidentally hit. All in all if you are a Zelda fan you should play this game although you'll probably find it inferior. If you've never played a Zelda game you should play another game of the series first an only come back to this one if you find yourself hooked. Expand
  56. Nov 21, 2011
    I can see a problem and It's that this game is the greatest Zelda game, so ,the greatest game of the history, and this is the reason why the trolls or haters were giving bad notes, and it's fine, but in their interior they know that this Zelda is a Masterpiece, the controls, the gameplay, the story, all in this game is fantastic.
  57. Jan 22, 2012
    Skyward Sword is definitely one of the best Zelda games released in a while! With Zelda's signature way of using new graphic styles, the use of the Motion Plus (which, unlike the Wii version of Twilight Princess, is NOT a gimmick), and memorable characters and dungeons, Skyward Sword could easily give most Zelda games a run for their money- maybe even Ocarina of Time! The "painterly"Skyward Sword is definitely one of the best Zelda games released in a while! With Zelda's signature way of using new graphic styles, the use of the Motion Plus (which, unlike the Wii version of Twilight Princess, is NOT a gimmick), and memorable characters and dungeons, Skyward Sword could easily give most Zelda games a run for their money- maybe even Ocarina of Time! The "painterly" graphics make this adventure stunning, while also shrouding the fact that the Wii's visual ability isn't that great. The Motion Plus makes this a game where you must think before you act. No more frantically shaking the controller to defeat enemies! No, you have to plan out each strike before it happens, otherwise it will be blocked and somehow turn on you. Each dungeon utilizes all of your items, not just the one you recieved thirty seconds ago. There are only a few downsides to this game- for starters, there's no main world map. You fly to a certain spot in the sky and then descend onto the surface area, close to the dungeon. The music instrument of this game- the harp- is also a useless attempt to keep an instrument in the game. If you see butterflies, you randomly strum the harp to get a pedestal to appear, then you strum in time with a pulsing light. Learning new songs is pointless, because playing one song is no different from playing another.
    However, despite these minor setbacks, Skyward Sword is still an amazing game. With the new flight system, new motion controls, new upgrade systems, and new items, this installment is no "Nintendo re-hash". A lot of things in this game are new and exciting, and definitely worth getting.
    Skyward Sword, I will never forget you.
  58. Dec 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me just say this: Skyward Sword was one of the best gaming experiences yet for me. The masterful use of the blended Wind Waker/Twilight Princess art style is truly amazing. The story is the best yet, and it leaves you aching the whole way through (In a good way!) The Wii Motion Plus makes your sword move 1:1 and makes fighting enemies for the first time like a puzzle. This game sets up events for the next games, and, spoiler, the creation of the legendary Master Sword. This is the first game in which Link gains the entire Triforce, and it explains why our green-clad hero is always up against a big baddie. If you are a fan of the series, definitely pick it up. Expand
  59. Nov 20, 2011
    Skyward Sword is a masterpiece. The design is absolutely incredible. Instead of most games, when viewing things from far away seeing a standard blur, the game uses an impressive watercolor painting style which is very unforgettable. Amazing music from beginning to end with a great symphony. Game play felt perfect and what Twilight Princess should have played like at launch.(butSkyward Sword is a masterpiece. The design is absolutely incredible. Instead of most games, when viewing things from far away seeing a standard blur, the game uses an impressive watercolor painting style which is very unforgettable. Amazing music from beginning to end with a great symphony. Game play felt perfect and what Twilight Princess should have played like at launch.(but understanding that the game was suppose to be just a Gamecube game at first) Skyward Sword is a must-have for any Wii owners out there. Expand
  60. Nov 21, 2011
    It's Nintendo. It's Zelda. It's Wii motion control done correctly. It's a ten! ;)
    There is no doubt in my mine, even after just 12 hours on it, that it's the best 3D Zelda ever made!
  61. Nov 20, 2011
    This game is amazing, it starts of in an odd way, but you need to get used to the controls. The dungeons and the music are incredible but not as incredible as the gameplay. Don't let the negative reviews fool you, this is the best game of the generation.
  62. Nov 20, 2011
    Wow . Having played all the zelda games since the nes i have to say this is without doubt the best . The graphics ,sound and amazing artwork screams quality from the off .

This is the game that should have been released on the wii at the start to show what can be done with the wii controls , the gameplay grabs you like no other and doesnt let up untill the very end . Without doubt the

Without doubt the best game this generation and probrably the best nintendo game ever . 10/10
  63. Nov 23, 2011
    Well worth the wait, Skyword sword won't disappoint. The progression of difficulty for the puzzles is fantastic as ever. Props to Nintendo. Wii motion + makes everything feel fresh.

It's like an updated, expanded, inbred baby between windwaker and twilight princess. Depending on how it ends.... it could be better than Ocarina of Time, Just saying
  64. Nov 21, 2011
    It's amazing the feeling that this game give me.

Graphics: is a kind of impressionist style, it's art in motion! you can pause the game and conteplate something amazing. Gameplay: The most innovative Zelda of all, a lot of FUN! you will be the hand of link using the master sword, run and jump as never and of course a lot of rpg options are added. Story: the mos lovely of all Zelda
    It's amazing the feeling that this game give me.

Story: the mos lovely of all Zelda games were you can undertand many thing of the Zelda universe.

Conclusion: a epic game, a legend that gives you 50/100 hrs of FUN!
  65. Nov 20, 2011
    This is the best game for the Wii! it shows what the Wii can really do. The controls are great and good so far. I was stuck sometimes at the start but that all change when i got used to the controls. The story is so far amazing and brilliant. This is my favorite game of the series and for the Wii. 10/10
  66. Nov 20, 2011
    At first, I wasn't sure about this game. I was playing for ages, constantly bouncing between thinking it was brilliant and thinking it was terrible. It was pretty solid, there was no denying that, but something just felt a bit off about it. But now that I've had the time to play a fair chunk of it (I'm about three temples in, I think), Skyward Sword is easily a contender for best ZeldaAt first, I wasn't sure about this game. I was playing for ages, constantly bouncing between thinking it was brilliant and thinking it was terrible. It was pretty solid, there was no denying that, but something just felt a bit off about it. But now that I've had the time to play a fair chunk of it (I'm about three temples in, I think), Skyward Sword is easily a contender for best Zelda (and therefore best game) of all time. Everything about it is brilliant. The controls work perfectly (anyone having an issue, try recalibrating your controller), the Dungeons are challenging without being frustrating, combat and monster design is simple yet engaging, The bosses are like the classic bosses of Zelda, but with a new flare to them making them unique.

And the graphics are amazing. The environments are absolutely beautiful; especially the third area you go to which is designed flawlessly. Nintendo once again proves that you don't need the best of the best graphics technology to create an amazing, breathtaking world. In the beginning, I was having a real issue with there not being much of a plot. Things just seemed to be happening with no real explanation and for a while I had no plot-based motivation to keep moving forwards. But I'm now beginning to realise that this was an intentional choice by the designers to withhold information and I'm loving how they're presenting it. Also, the villain of the game is probably the best non-ganondorf villain in a Zelda game since Majora. He's funny, yet creepy, and with a brilliant physical design that kind of reminds me of David Bowie... Turns out, combining Zelda with David Bowie is actually the greatest thing ever.
  67. Nov 21, 2011
    A perfect game through and through - I give a 10/10 perfect score to this game! Zelda actually has a personality this time. It is a true Legend. Highly recommended.
  68. Nov 20, 2011
    18 Perfect scores for a good reason, Zelda skyward sword gameplay is perfect, using the bow like wii sport resort feels awesome and after swinging the sword you wont want to go back. Using loftwing feel fast and very fun, you will love loftwing alot more than epona. This zelda is a must buy even if u have never pla ya zelda before. 10/10
  69. Nov 20, 2011
    This game is so amazing. I played all Zelda series's games, it's not simple to say which is the best, but Skyward Sword is surely one of the best game I ever played. The controls are very good, the graphic is stylish and its design for every part of the world is crafted caring about every single aspect. The soundtrack is the best of the series. If you are a fan of The Legend of Zelda youThis game is so amazing. I played all Zelda series's games, it's not simple to say which is the best, but Skyward Sword is surely one of the best game I ever played. The controls are very good, the graphic is stylish and its design for every part of the world is crafted caring about every single aspect. The soundtrack is the best of the series. If you are a fan of The Legend of Zelda you must buy Skyward Sword and you'll see with your eyes one of the best game ever created from 25 years to now. Masterpiece 10/10 Expand
  70. Nov 20, 2011
    25 hours till now playing the game ,controls are very impressive,clever, initiative . the important part that i have the same feeling in Ocarina of time the Depth of game play the value that i want to replay the dungeons and visit the area than one Time, ZELDA is the reason i play games
  71. Nov 20, 2011
    To the people who have been giving this game a zero. If you expected this game to have guns, blood, sexuality, or anything like that you are ignorant beyond any reasonable belief. IF you think those elements make a game mature, once again, ignorant. If you gave this a 10/10 for one group of people but 0/10 for another the full review cannot be 0/10 it must at least be a 5. If you actuallyTo the people who have been giving this game a zero. If you expected this game to have guns, blood, sexuality, or anything like that you are ignorant beyond any reasonable belief. IF you think those elements make a game mature, once again, ignorant. If you gave this a 10/10 for one group of people but 0/10 for another the full review cannot be 0/10 it must at least be a 5. If you actually have a review of this game please post it. If you just say you don't like it, I don't believe you even bought it/ I don't believe you were going to buy it anyway. zeros are by far the most ridiculous scores, even people on Skyrim who give it a zero are ignorant. You know it is worth more, review the game fairly. This game is a 10 for me. Expand
  72. Nov 20, 2011
    This was was just a fun one. I saw nothing wrong with it. The story was excellent. While some may say it is graphically lacking, I find the art design aesthetically pleasing.

Oh, **** has come in just to slander the score.
  73. Nov 20, 2011
    Absolutely fantastic. It's colorful, it's challenging, and while it's reasonably accessible for new players it does none of the claustrophobic hand-holding that many other recent Zeldas have done. The combat is a massive improvement over Twilight Princess, the motion controls being precise, responsive, and making combat an actual treat. A must-own...definitely the best Zelda released sinceAbsolutely fantastic. It's colorful, it's challenging, and while it's reasonably accessible for new players it does none of the claustrophobic hand-holding that many other recent Zeldas have done. The combat is a massive improvement over Twilight Princess, the motion controls being precise, responsive, and making combat an actual treat. A must-own...definitely the best Zelda released since the Wii era began. Expand
  74. Nov 20, 2011
    The most unique with this game is the artstyle and that it isn't grimdark like the most of the games this generation. It got extremely many colors and has good graphic considered it is a Wii game. The controls are amazing too and so is the story. One thing I like about this game is that it really explain the beginning of the master sword and the legends!
  75. Nov 20, 2011
    This is the most unique Zelda game in years. Nintendo has crafted an experience that feels familiar, but also very fresh and exciting. Skyward Sword's beautiful art design, coupled with phenomenally accurate controls, makes what is easily the most definitive experience on the Wii. This game is a must own for Zelda fans.
  76. Nov 20, 2011
    Perfect controls, great dungeon design, there are some minor flaws but they don't make it less fun or playable, clearly this game is a fresh air to the zelda formula, a must own for every Wii owner not only Zelda fans.
  77. Nov 20, 2011
    This is possibly the best Zelda game out there. And more possibly one of the best games of all time. Its got so many new ideas, and they all work perfectly. Every gamer with an IQ, and want to challenge it would love Zelda. Every gamer that thinks that they are smart, and are "Gamers" can go and buy CoD or Battlefield, or something like that.
    If you are a serious gamer you will think the
    If you are a serious gamer you will think the graphics are BEAUTIFUL. The graphics don't have to be the most "realistic" to be good. Just as the story, and gameplay the graphics can be surreal, but still be GREAT.
  78. Nov 20, 2011
    Unfortunately I can not give this game 11 ... from my point of view, everything tends to perfection (which unfortunately is known is unreachable): the story is wonderful, the controls are perfectly and places to see jaw-dropping, especially in the dungeons. I love the whole saga of Zelda, but I am ready to put on the fire by 2 hands and one leg that is one if not THE best chapter of Zelda
  79. Nov 20, 2011
    This game is epic! I just started, and I think it's already better than most Zelda games. It deserves all of the tens it's getting. Best Zelda game? Maybe, once I beat of course, but I'm already considering it to be a little better than ocarina! If you're a Zelda fan, you'll adore this one!
  80. Nov 29, 2011
    Bueno, para ser sincero soy fan de la saga de zelda, PERO, hablare objetivamente de este titulo, SIN Fanatismo, primero, Presentacion, el juego comienza con una elegante introducción, promocionando que la saga cumple 25 Años, los menus son sencillos con una vista panoramica de toda "SkyLoft" en español la llamaron "Neburía", laBueno, para ser sincero soy fan de la saga de zelda, PERO, hablare objetivamente de este titulo, SIN Fanatismo, primero, Presentacion, el juego comienza con una elegante introducción, promocionando que la saga cumple 25 Años, los menus son sencillos con una vista panoramica de toda "SkyLoft" en español la llamaron "Neburía", la introducción del juego es impecable, te describen el juego de una manera tan sencilla que cualquiera lo entiende, tan solo en este primer punto le doy un 100, por lo sencillo, entendible y bonito de interactuar con el menu.
    Graficos, aqui le tengo que dar un aplauso a Nintendo, ¿porqué?, se estaran preguntando, bueno, esta compañia esta consciente que su consola no es muy poderosa, es por eso que se la "ingenian" para poder hacer del juego lo mas bonito visualmente, que el arte del juego sea como una pintura, hace que el juego se vea muy bien, los movimientos de los personajes son fluidos y a pesar de no hablar, son muy expresivos, los efectos de luz son muy bueno y de lo mejor que puede tener el Wii, por eso aplaudo a Nintendo, porque sin necesidad de que la consola sea HD, las graficas se sienten muy fresacas y unicas (por estilo de arte).
    Sonido, que podemos decir de esta parte, todo el juego esta orquestado, simplemente hermoso cada melodia del juego, hay momentos en el juego donde se siente apagado, pero va de acuerdo a la situacion presentada, a lo mejor algunos les moleste que los personajes muevan sus labios y que de ellos no salgá ningun sonido, pero que conste que algunos no agradará, NO doy a entender que esto es es negativo.
    Forma de juego (gamplay), la verdad despues de jugar de esta manera un zelda, quisiera que los demas se juguen así, el control de movimiento estan intuitivo y fluido que realmente sientes que tu sostienes una espada, este zelda, es el zelda con menos objetos, pero cada uno es utilizado iteligentemene por el uso del control de movimiento, es el primer zelda, donde para ganarle a un enemigo o jefe, necesitas dar espadasos al azar, realmente necesitas observar por donde atacara tu enemigo o ver sus "huecos" para poder darle un espadazo, realmente una maravilla.
    NOTA: Quiero aclarar algo en este punto, SI, al principio el control se te hará un poco incomodó o torpe, pero si te tomas tu tiempo para entenderlo, y poder usarlo bien, lograras tener a tu poder uno de los mejores controles jamas hechos.
    Duracion del juego, el juego para los veteranos les durara entre 30 y 35 horas en terminar solamente la historia principal, para completarlo al 100% les tomara unas 45 a 55 horas, si eres nuevo y te gustaria comenzar a jugar un zelda, la verdad te lo recomiendo muchisimo porque te gustará, si no eres muy fan de los juegos tipo accion/aventura con un toque de RPG, entonces este no es tu juego, pero no por eso es malo el juego denle una oportunidad.
    Por todo lo anterior mi puntuacion es de un 100, si una puntuacion perfecta, pero la verdad es muy subjetiva esa califacion, yo creo, en mi opinion que el juego minimo es de un 85 a 100, ustedes deciden si comprarlo o no, espero les allá ayudado mi reseña (solo para aclarar si ya me termine el juego y puedo ciriticar de manera correcta)
  81. Dec 2, 2011
    Anybody who gives this game lower than a seven, hasn't played it. This game is an absolute masterpiece! The artistic direction in this game is amazing, gameplay works fine (if not, buy a new nunchuck), cutscences are jaw dropping, and the story is amazing!!! Buy it
  82. Nov 20, 2011
    This is the best game of Wii. The game the Wii was built for. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is a demostration of making great designs and a reinvention of the adventures genere.
    A game that all gamer must to play. Must have, masterpiece 10/10.

Juan Lopez, Zaragoza. España.
  83. Nov 20, 2011
    Best Zelda game ever, hands down. Controls are great.
    It looks beautiful.
    The cinematics give life to characters.
    The weapons are awesome.
    The dungeons are challenging.

Get it.
  84. Nov 20, 2011
    I just have played for 20+ hours. It is definitely an amazing masterpiece. I wonder those negative reviews really play the game or not. Some complaints are really funny and irresponsible. I hope who played the game really enjoyed it.
  85. Nov 20, 2011
    This is an amazing game, something to make you remember why you started playing video games in the first place. This is one game where a perfect score is not an exaggeration, it takes everything good from the series past and improves upon it in such refreshing and exciting ways. The inclusion of the Wii motion plus controls is also a very big contribution to the games overall greatness.This is an amazing game, something to make you remember why you started playing video games in the first place. This is one game where a perfect score is not an exaggeration, it takes everything good from the series past and improves upon it in such refreshing and exciting ways. The inclusion of the Wii motion plus controls is also a very big contribution to the games overall greatness. Never has there been a motion controlled game that works so effortlessly, you might even forget you are holding a controller it works so well. I was skeptical they could make it work but it simply does. Something i found very interesting was the fact that the game does not use the pointer on the Wii remote AT ALL. All items that require aiming use the position tracking of the motion plus to move the cursor on the screen, if you feel it is out of alignment you simply push down on the d-pad and it centers the cursor for you. It works amazingly well, no longer do you need to make sure you are pointing at the sensor bar. Aside from the controls, the graphics are amazing as well, despite what some ps3/360 fanboys WILL say. The world has been crafted with great care, and the watercolor like style really makes good use of the limited horsepower of the Wii, it is without a doubt the best looking game the system has to offer. But in the end it is all about gameplay, thankfully the game is no slouch in this department either. Many people have complained that zelda hasn't done enough in recent years to go beyond what was done in Ocarina of time. I am happy to tell these people that is NOT the case with this game, in fact it feels like every single thing you do in the game is taking your expectations of the series and shattering them, in a very good way. The dungeons are all very well done and they are spread out at a good pace, you will have plenty to do between dungeons. The bosses are probably the best the series has ever seen, each new boss you fight gets more and more epic and will actually give you a challenge. Last but not least is the story. This is the first game in the series story wise and it will definitely blow your mind if you have been a fan of the series since the beginning. Finally the connection between all the games has become more clear than ever, I won't spoil a single thing for you but rest assured zeldas story has never been better. I feel like i have said enough about the game now, please ignore the 360/ps3 trolls giving the game a 0, they have not played the game and are simply trolling as trolls do. I give the game a 10 because it deserves it, simple as that. Expand
  86. Nov 20, 2011
    Beste game zelda ever.

El mejor Zelda que he visto y uno de los grandes juegos de la generacion. Los haters que se abstengan de puntuar. Hay que jugar al jurgo para tener opinion propia.

Muy buena banda sonora, buen control, rejugable, excelente en todo.
  87. Nov 21, 2011
    I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the negative reviews complaining about controls and fetch quests. There's always side quests in any sort of RPG, but they are OPTIONAL. Unless you count items and flames that you obtain in dungeons as fetch quests? Regardless, I've decided the control complaints are simply because you suck at the game. I've had no problems, and this is my favoriteI'm having a lot of trouble understanding the negative reviews complaining about controls and fetch quests. There's always side quests in any sort of RPG, but they are OPTIONAL. Unless you count items and flames that you obtain in dungeons as fetch quests? Regardless, I've decided the control complaints are simply because you suck at the game. I've had no problems, and this is my favorite Zelda game yet. The perfect blend of homages to previous games and new, imaginative elements and design. A must have for any gamer, Wii owner, or Zelda fan. Expand
  88. Nov 20, 2011
    Not the best wii game, is not the
    best nintendo game is not the best
    game of this gene is in the best game I've played in my life ... this game is simply a work of art, beyond anything I've ever played, its graphics are wonderful and are very well defined (eg shadows) and the graphic quality deserves a 10 as well as pc. epic sound and well defined, the soundtrack is a great job
    Not the best wii game, is not the
    best nintendo game is not the best
    game of this gene is in the best
    game I've played in my life ... this
    game is simply a work of art, beyond
    anything I've ever played, its
    graphics are wonderful and are very
    well defined (eg shadows) and the
    graphic quality deserves a 10 as well
    as pc. epic sound and well defined,
    the soundtrack is a great job and
    without comparison, you could
    expect from a Zelda? Wii technology
    used to 100 in this game, see note 8
    enemies moving in front of you with
    total flow while moving the wii
    motion +. overflows innovation and
    gameplay is superb, find those who
    hate nintendo or play pure shooters,
    this is a masterpiece of 10:)
  89. Nov 20, 2011
    This is an amazing game! Everything in this game works perfectly, including the puzzles, motion controls, and graphics. This is easily a contender for the best Zelda game ever and one of my favorite games. If you don't have a Wii yet, this game is the reason to get one.
  90. Nov 20, 2011
    its reviews like ActivisionFan99's that really make me say to myself, "what". have you ever played a zelda game through in your entire life? a game's worth shouldnt be based off of whether or not the graphics look, photorealistic, or, "geared for a younger audience". with the wake of games like COD, the actual substance and gameplay of games doesnt mean jack **** if it isnt in HD. anyits reviews like ActivisionFan99's that really make me say to myself, "what". have you ever played a zelda game through in your entire life? a game's worth shouldnt be based off of whether or not the graphics look, photorealistic, or, "geared for a younger audience". with the wake of games like COD, the actual substance and gameplay of games doesnt mean jack **** if it isnt in HD. any single zelda game has more depth than the whole COD series combined. And seriously, give a 5 year old a zelda game and see how far he gets. let me tell you - not very far. give a 5 year old a 360 controller and COD... and he'll be just fine holding down the trigger doing the same thing for hours. Expand
  91. Nov 20, 2011
    Zelda Skyward Sword is not just one of the best games in years: it's also one of the most controversial.
    Many wrote this game off before they ever even played it, spouting comments like "the graphics are childlike" or more commonly "Motion controls are always terrible"
    If you are one of the people who fall into this crowed, I strongly urge you to play the game. Dismiss any bias you might

Dismiss any bias you might have toward games with motion controls, try to accept the games unique art style, even though it's different from all the HD "realistic" games that saturate the market.
    If you do what you will find is a game that achieves a greatness so vast, that many simply can't fully comprehend it.

I can not stress enough: this game is everything that motion controlled game should have been, and hopefully represents what they will become.
  92. Nov 20, 2011
    Before I write the review, I just want to say for those non-zelda lovers, or for those gamers who thought that they are hardcore because they are playing lots of COD, or skyrim etc, please do not read this review... This game is simply AMAZING, one of most amazing game in Wii or probably the best game in Wii... The graphics is beatufully stunning, You can't compare with other HD games, butBefore I write the review, I just want to say for those non-zelda lovers, or for those gamers who thought that they are hardcore because they are playing lots of COD, or skyrim etc, please do not read this review... This game is simply AMAZING, one of most amazing game in Wii or probably the best game in Wii... The graphics is beatufully stunning, You can't compare with other HD games, but for Wii it's beautifully stunning, the best looking game in Wii... This game looks very childish, but the puzzles, the action wasn't made for kids, it's difficultness was made for mature gamers... Some people said that the control was terrible some people said it's amazing, so for my opinion this controls works just fine, Perfect! I don't what the other did or how the others did it, if you said that the control is terrible there are only two conclusion: Whether they are did it in the wrong way like Tom Mcshea from Gamespot, or their controls are broken, it works perfect, from horizontal, vertical, diagonal, etc... Thank you Nintendo for making this game... God Bless Nintendo... simply 10/10 !!! Expand
  93. Nov 20, 2011
    Excelente en todos los aspectos, otro clasico mas para el catalogo de Nintendo. Goob job Ninty, keep the good work, and congrats. Graphics, Sound, History and the Gameplay are excelent. This is the best Zelda game to date period. and one of the best game this Year.
  94. Nov 20, 2011
    First of all, this is truly one of the best Zelda games ever made. Yes, the controls may be unresponsive at sometimes but it takes the Wii capabilities to the max. This game offers a great story line, great graphics for the Wii, and some most memorable moments in Zelda history. People need to quit complaining and comparing this game to games like CoD, Assassin's creed, Uncharted, orFirst of all, this is truly one of the best Zelda games ever made. Yes, the controls may be unresponsive at sometimes but it takes the Wii capabilities to the max. This game offers a great story line, great graphics for the Wii, and some most memorable moments in Zelda history. People need to quit complaining and comparing this game to games like CoD, Assassin's creed, Uncharted, or whatever. This is a Zelda game. Not something remotely close to any of the other games. True Zelda fans will add this at the top of their list along side Ocarina of time and Twilight Princess. I give it a 10 all around. Expand
  95. Nov 20, 2011
    Another vacations with my favorite game. Thanks Nintendo for the innovation. I love Zelda Skyward Sword so much. The music is great, the storyline is so perfect, the controls is maybe the best part. It's a hard game and i aprecciate this masterpiece since the first minute until the last one. Miyamoto, Eiji and kondo: Thanks again, this will be a fantastic christmas. Now im going for SuperAnother vacations with my favorite game. Thanks Nintendo for the innovation. I love Zelda Skyward Sword so much. The music is great, the storyline is so perfect, the controls is maybe the best part. It's a hard game and i aprecciate this masterpiece since the first minute until the last one. Miyamoto, Eiji and kondo: Thanks again, this will be a fantastic christmas. Now im going for Super Mario Land 3D Expand
  96. Nov 20, 2011
    First off, the negative reviews come from shallow fanboys living in mom's basement. Most FPS fanboys live in their mom's basement, living off welfare, eating nachos and watching porn because they can't get a real girl or meet real friends (no your X-Box Live list doesn't count you sad sacks)

You come to bash games like Zelda because you are a group of brainwashed nerds who believe anything without a gun is "gay" or "kiddie". The world would be better off if you all disappeared or went far away and drowned in a lake because you are a waste of space. Now to the great game. I've played Batman: AA, Portal 2 and U3. Skyward Sword is the greatest achievement in games this year. It sets the standard for how motion controls should be used in gaming. Its the equivalent of Mario Galaxy to the Mario series. Nintendo are masters at attention to detail and Skyward Sword is no exception. Everything from the world to NPC's have so much personality and rank as some of the best in the series. Every perfect score you read folks is well deserved. The only equal this game has in 2011 is Arkham City with Skyward Sword edging it out. Zelda is back and better than ever.

In the meantime, the trolls should worry less about killstreaks and bashing this masterpiece and losing weight. Stay free you IQ lacking trolls!
  97. Nov 20, 2011
    I have been playing this game for about 35+ hours now and i can say without a doubt this is the best game of the year, one of the best games of this generation and one of if not the best Zelda games.
  98. Nov 21, 2011
    Sound -> 10, it's Zelda, and sounds so good!
    Graphics -> 10, it's not HD, but it's beautiful, amazing design and colorful.
    Gameplay -> 10, 1:1, nothing more to say.
    Story -> 10 too.
  99. Nov 20, 2011
    It's amazing how after telling the same story for 25 years Nintendo continues to have the magic of the first time.
    Skyward Sword is the best Zelda ever.
    Skyward Sword is the best Zelda ever.
    For several years we have motion controls. Although we have enjoyed in small portions, their performance was more of a fashion. It is to this day that Fujibayashi and his team of geniuses have given me a tour of a dimension of interaction did not know. My faith has been revived: this is not a fad. The hardware depends on how developers use it. Forget everything you know about the motion controller gaming, Skyward Sword is the true beginning.

Skyward Sword starts and doesn't stops. From start to finish, is a feast of amazing and charming characters. Explore new places and enjoy the most beautiful scenery we've seen in a videogame. In most of the adventures we've had in a game just press a button at the right time to get an achievement. However, in Skyward Sword feel firsthand the success to overcome every Bokoblin. It is not meaningless shake control: real enjoyment of defeating an enemy is to give careful consideration to each opponent. We are in the rethinking of how it should work a sword in a game-a fantasy that has been with us since childhood.
    Skyward Sword Zelda is also the freest Zelda of all. It's a world that you'd want to explore in its entirety. The options are endless, even outside the main story. Hundreds of NPCs have fun tasks you will be always busy.
    I have purposely avoided the subject of the story. Skyward Sword is something you have to play by yourself.
    Visually, Skyward Sword has a lot of personality. The graphic style is very original, from the introductory sequence to the credits, graphics feel fresh. They are very similar to the magnificent and original style of Street Fighter IV.
    The dungeons in Skyward Sword are the best I've seen the series. The battles with the bosses redefine what it means to fight a boss in a videogame. The intelligent design in all the puzzles in the game is a constant feature throughout the adventure. Get ready to find mechanisms similar to those seen in the dungeons of the last games of the series, but now scattered throughout the open world, free from confinement of a room or hallway.
    From the moment you start Skyward Sword until the last second, is an hearig brutality. The orchestral soundtrack of Koji Kondo and Hajime Wakai is perhaps the most impressive in the history of the medium. Whether you're in a cave or in a vile dungeon impressive, Skyward Sword is a sonic masterpiece. Freedom of sounds and instruments present in this title is something we've never heard in the series. The album included the 25th anniversary of the franchise is not far behind. I confess that I rarely had moved so much a melody as the theme of the source of the Great Fairy.
    this is the prime example of art in a videogame... simply a must own. 10/10

1. Feb 6, 2012
    Overall, this is the best experience I've had playing a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time and I'd have to say they are pretty equal in my opinion. Either way, you won't be disappointed getting this game, it's a masterpiece.
    New Zelda is the best game of whole series since the groundbreaking Ocarina of Time. It is a true masterpiece with uncompromising playability. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 19, 2012
    A magnificent homage for the 25th anniversary of one the biggest franchises in gaming, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword provides a compelling gaming and artistic showcase for the indefatigable potential of the medium as a whole, and a reason to have gaming as a hobby.