The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Wii

7.9

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1988 Ratings

1. Dec 4, 2011
    Sorry to give it such a low score but the motion controls did not work for me at all. perhaps this was a technical issue, but this is a serious issue since you can not play game if the controller doesn't work properly. After a lot of time spent making sure the controls where set up as best i could, the game had so much text to click through that after giving the game about 5 hours worth iSorry to give it such a low score but the motion controls did not work for me at all. perhaps this was a technical issue, but this is a serious issue since you can not play game if the controller doesn't work properly. After a lot of time spent making sure the controls where set up as best i could, the game had so much text to click through that after giving the game about 5 hours worth i got very impatient and frustrated and chose to play something else. Expand
  2. Dec 4, 2011
    The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword is potentially the most anticipated release of 2011 for any system maybe challenged only by The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim. With so much hype and pressure surrounding this "swansong" for the aging Nintendo Wii did this game soar or dive? Other than Super Mario the Legend of Zelda games have continually shown their influence throughout the gaming industry withThe Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword is potentially the most anticipated release of 2011 for any system maybe challenged only by The Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim. With so much hype and pressure surrounding this "swansong" for the aging Nintendo Wii did this game soar or dive? Other than Super Mario the Legend of Zelda games have continually shown their influence throughout the gaming industry with game mechanics, story developement, and art design. However, some have felt that the Zelda formula that has been used in Zelda games over the past several years has gotten a bit stale, and needed to evolve in order for the series to continue to stay on top of the gaming industry.So, the real question is whether or not Nintendo has changed enough to keep things fresh, and whether Skyward Sword solidify's it's place amongst the top games of all time. The short answer is simple: YES!

Gameplay: 10/10 When the Wii was released we were promised true motion gaming with 1:1 controls for fluid gaming. Unfortunately, Nintendo was not able to deliver on this promise up front, and rectified this mistake by developing the motion plus to enhance motion gameplay. While Ubisoft was the first to truly test Motion Plus gameplay with Red Steel 2, which ended up being fantastic, Nintendo has now given the Wii the game it always deserved to showcase it's motion control capabilities. Skyward Sword's 1:1 sword combat is outstand. It uses a combination of motion plus and IR in order to keep things in check, and offers depth to the fighting mechanics that could have easily become redundant/repetitive. However, I found myself taking a look at the enemy I was approaching thinking about just how I was going to dismantle them. The added ability for Link to be able to sprint is also a major addition to the formula, which doesn't necessarily seem huge, but allows for some significant gameplay changes. With the new quickswap menu for items/tools makes gameplay cohesive, and makes you wonder how you play Zelda without it. If you don't find the gameplay delightful then you might be missing something.

Story: 10/10 Potentially one of the best stories of any Zelda title. Without giving to many details away, this is an origins story for the Zelda series. It doesn't find Link and Zelda in their typical predicaments, which is a breath of fresh air for the series. You will also find yourself caring about other characters throughout, with the desire to try and talk with every villager in the game. Skyward Sword completely captivates, and you may not want to stop playing until to unveil it all.

Graphics: 10/10 The Wii released to prove one thing, and that was to convince developers and gamers alike that what makes a game soar is gameplay not graphics. I think for the most part they've succeded in that endeavor, but Skyward Sword is absolutely gorgeous to look at! It uses a mixture of realistic graphics found in Twilight Princess, and more cel shaded graphics of Wind Waker. The final product is like playing a painting. It really is a work of art, and quite honestly one that only Nintendo could pull off.

Longevity: 10/10 With the main quest promising at least 40 hours of gameplay, and completing everything the game offers will put you potentially around the 100 hours mark. This game will keep you playing for quite some time. In fact it might even have you wanting to play through one more time just to see all of the beautiful locations Skyward Sword has to offer.

Verdict: 10/10 Skyward Sword is a constant reminder why Nintendo is #1. The way they create worlds, characters, and stories is really unique in the gaming industry. No one quite does it the way Nintendo does it, and with games like the Mario Galaxies and now Skyward Sword it just proves this even more. If you're finishing this review then do yourself a huge favor. Either scroll up and purchase Skyward Sword, or run out to your local video game retailed and get it. People of all ages need to experience the greatest Zelda of all time, and quite possibly the greatest game of all time. There is one thing for certain. The negative reviews written for this game are completely unfounded. I've been playing for nearly 20 hours now, and I have had not one issue or control mishap with the motion controls. The negative media surrounding the Wii Motion controls hasn't been completely unfounded, but to wrap this game in to that nonsense is pure nonsense. This game further proves that only Nintendo can create some of the most unforgettable gaming experiences, and Skyward Sword might be the best of the best!
  3. Dec 9, 2011
    I think negative/mixed reviews are out of mind. I can comprehend the issues of this game, but it remains the best demonstration of the Wii spectacular controller and the best game in this generation (maybe Skyrim can compete with this, but only Skyrim). The best Zelda ever.
  4. Dec 5, 2011
    Note: I have not yet finished the game. The Legend of Zelda Sword is a remarkable experience. While the graphics are mediocre from a technical stand point, the art style is beautiful, and the scope of the game is breathtaking. The audio is good as well, with some great orchestral music and crisp sound effects. Where Skyward Sword excels is the gameplay, the dungeons are some of the best inNote: I have not yet finished the game. The Legend of Zelda Sword is a remarkable experience. While the graphics are mediocre from a technical stand point, the art style is beautiful, and the scope of the game is breathtaking. The audio is good as well, with some great orchestral music and crisp sound effects. Where Skyward Sword excels is the gameplay, the dungeons are some of the best in the series. The game also breaks old Zelda conventions whilst adding new ones in the process. If there was anything I didn't like about the game that would be the lack of voice acting, and the (OCCASIONALLY) problematic camera. Expand
  5. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is perfect! Amazing history, great graphics except for the Wii's low resolution, nice gameplay. If you are a Zelda fan this is a must have.
  6. Dec 5, 2011
    I judge games on an individual level. I liked the game in itself more than Skyrim, I have more fun. Even IGN reviewers said they feel that Skyward Sword surpassed Ocarina of Time with this one, and if I am correct, IGN are usually biased towards Nintendo games, so..... by saying it surpassed TLOZOOT, they are indirectly saying they feel it is the best game of all time since OOT isI judge games on an individual level. I liked the game in itself more than Skyrim, I have more fun. Even IGN reviewers said they feel that Skyward Sword surpassed Ocarina of Time with this one, and if I am correct, IGN are usually biased towards Nintendo games, so..... by saying it surpassed TLOZOOT, they are indirectly saying they feel it is the best game of all time since OOT is considered by majority of gamers as the best of all time period, not ever really questioned.

Skyrim is great, I think they should tie, but if you have to choose, it's Skyward Sword. And you call it garbage, IGN and GameInformer rated Skyward a 10 and IGN and GI rated Skyrim a 9.5 (but Skyward is garbage...). Skyrim has more perfect scores because it was release 9 days earlier and more promotion, and multiple platforms.

I don't like that there are strictly Skyrim players voting that haven't even given Zelda a try, can't wait for Wii U so people can stop talking about Nintendo's graphics, btw Skyward Sword graphics in my honest opinion are better, it's unique rather than trying to be like everyone else with trying so hard to look realistic... Gameplay > Graphics, that's why Nintendo games are considered the best overall, Quality > Quantity.

And you guys keep saying Skyward is short compared to Skyrim like that matters, same with us saying Skyward has no glitches, but really games are meant to have fun, not try to take your life away (which skyward did for me lol).

Vote based purely on gameplay, and the vote would have to go to The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword. Vote based on the game as a whole and the vote would have to go to The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword.

I really hope Skyward Sword wins GOTY.
  7. Dec 6, 2011
    This is a game that pretty much proves you can't always listen to the "users" as the case is that they're practically never right about a game being bad! Especially when it turns out to be as fun as this one! Believe me it's not something I usually say, but this time screw the losers. Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 both got higher ratings than this! However that doesn't meanThis is a game that pretty much proves you can't always listen to the "users" as the case is that they're practically never right about a game being bad! Especially when it turns out to be as fun as this one! Believe me it's not something I usually say, but this time screw the losers. Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 both got higher ratings than this! However that doesn't mean they're as fun. In fact as over rated as those games are (they're still fun IMO) they aren't worthy of climbing the same heights as a Zelda game like this one. Why not? Because they aren't nearly as revolutionary of games as people said they were! Now here's a game that has finally come along that you should just know from the very moment that you play it is pretty revolutionary, in ways that those other games will NEVER be! Show me one way that this brilliant this game isn't revolutionary! Do that and I'll show you something that will wow your socks off! Anyway you'll never convince me this is bad, if you find it bad...well that's your loss! Others who know better will continue to see it for what it is, the absolute best game in the series since Majora's Mask! Expand
  8. Dec 6, 2011
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword isnt just the best game on Wii, but is easily the best Zelda game and one of the greatest games ever made. The start puts you in the floating Island above the clouds Skyloft, and later is revealed how it became like that. Progressing through the 30 to 40 hour story makes this one of if not the best Zelda story in history. The first act is adorable withThe Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword isnt just the best game on Wii, but is easily the best Zelda game and one of the greatest games ever made. The start puts you in the floating Island above the clouds Skyloft, and later is revealed how it became like that. Progressing through the 30 to 40 hour story makes this one of if not the best Zelda story in history. The first act is adorable with showing off Link and Zelda's relationship and the second is amazing with plenty of twists and turns around every corner, it's very engaging. Characters are absolutely amazing, from a new and charming Zelda and the creepy villain Girahim there's never a dull moment with each character you meet. The controls in Skyward Sword were probably my biggest worry when it was revealed to be MotionPlus control, however, those worries can be put to rest, after a little learning curve the controls felt natural and easy to use and can be very enjoyable. When aiming with some weapons though it sometimes loses focus and goes off on it's own sometimes, theirs a button that lets you center the wii remotes aiming, and after a couple hours it too felt natural. The few things people have been worried about is zeldas formula, its usually a dungeon then going through some sort of event to get to the next dungeon, Skyward Sword shows a new direction in that formula, the sky is your main hub, your loftwing is your animal companion this time around and can fly you all across the sky meeting new characters and areas, there's not much to do but what's there is very unique. The land below is where the dungeons are located and here is where you pick up bugs, treasure and other goodies such as weapon's, treasure can be used for upgrades and bugs for money, the map however is a bit linear there isn't a big hub like hyrule field, but what's there still holds a lot incentive to explore. Graphics, they aren't HD but the art style, level design, and overall look and feel make it the best graphics on the Wii and even better art style then other HD counter parts. TheLegend of Zelda: Skyward Sword isn't just the best Zelda and Wii game ever, but is one of if not the best games ive ever played, it will surely amaze you in terms of story and gamplay and show amazing set pieces that can only be described as Incredible 10/10 Expand
  9. Dec 7, 2011
    This is the best game of the generation. The art style is timeless, the music is grand and the story is actually emotional and makes you care about the cast, unlike the 90% of western game's stories. But the two things where this masterpiece shines the most is the level design, and the revolutionary 1:1 sword combat mechanics. Playing an action game without motion controls may seem aThis is the best game of the generation. The art style is timeless, the music is grand and the story is actually emotional and makes you care about the cast, unlike the 90% of western game's stories. But the two things where this masterpiece shines the most is the level design, and the revolutionary 1:1 sword combat mechanics. Playing an action game without motion controls may seem a little dull after this. Expand
  10. Dec 7, 2011
    This game is beautiful, gorgeous and has the smooth control minigames we've waited for for years. Legend of Zelda has shown us once again that they rule nintendo by using that beautiful formula of puzzles, tough bosses and showing us collectibles we cant have while keeping a fresh and innovative touch staying ahead and giving us games to remember.
  11. Dec 8, 2011
    I am a die hard zelda fan. It's literally the only game I continue to look forward to and play. I grew up with it being the exact same age of the game and was so exited to get it for my birthday. I've read all the reviews watched all the videos and was dying to play it. As soon as I put the cd in I was very disappointed by the graphics. They look old and grainy. That might be because ofI am a die hard zelda fan. It's literally the only game I continue to look forward to and play. I grew up with it being the exact same age of the game and was so exited to get it for my birthday. I've read all the reviews watched all the videos and was dying to play it. As soon as I put the cd in I was very disappointed by the graphics. They look old and grainy. That might be because of the wii console i'm not sure but that doesn't excuse the lack of background story in the game. After Ocarina of Time, games began to have less and less story substance behind them. What I loved about the first N64 game is that every "race" had a whole society, each had it's own culture, traditions, legends and side quests. Twilight princess was a great improvement to Wind Waker. But the point is sometimes you get tired of playing a constant battle in the game and want to chill out with side quests, it's disappointing how they are locked and only a few are available at the same time. This new game seems a little .. empty on that side. For new players it's still a very good entertaining game. But for Zelda Lifers it's going to come as a bit of disappointment were you feel more like your controlling a game character than if your actually part of the story line game. Expand
  12. Dec 16, 2011
    This game rocks. Zelda never disappoints me. I had a great time figuring out puzzles and leveling up my items to help me. Never a dull moment here. Blah Blah Blah Blah. Awesome. Ble bleed blee.
  13. Dec 9, 2011
    I wanted to give this game a perfect 10, I really did. Skyward Sword is a great game. But I couldn't help but feel something was missing afterwards. I went in with extremely high expectations, and it did meet a lot of them. The controls are fantastic. They make you feel like you're weilding the sword itself. The graphics aren't HD, but that's not what it was trying to do. The art style isI wanted to give this game a perfect 10, I really did. Skyward Sword is a great game. But I couldn't help but feel something was missing afterwards. I went in with extremely high expectations, and it did meet a lot of them. The controls are fantastic. They make you feel like you're weilding the sword itself. The graphics aren't HD, but that's not what it was trying to do. The art style is a perfect balance between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and it captures the spirit of Zelda perfectly. The gameplay was typical Zelda (which itself is a good thing) with a few changes, like the hub world, and one that I hope sticks with the series, upgradeable items and breakable shields. It made your rupees and collectibles worth something, and throughout the whole game I was compelled to find different items to make my items better.
    I think my gripe, however, is with the actual pacing of the story, mainly the 2nd half, as it actually starts to drag down the gameplay with fetch quests. There is a lot of "go here, talk to this person, go there, collect this, go back here, wait I need one more thing, go there again." Maybe that's a little bit of an exadgerration, but by the tail end of the game I really wanted to move along with the story, because it gets interesting. I got the feeling the developers wanted to add a little more play time in, but I personally would have preferred less play time in the story mode than to start getting bored by it. And by the time you get all these quests out of the way and make your way to the final leg of the game, it's over in a flash. Be warned; the epic finale of Ocarina of Time, this is not. I definately missed that feeling during the games last moments. The ending felt rushed, and left me wanting more, but not in a good way. Overall, Skyward Sword is definately earning the praise it's been getting, but there's still something missing. Next time, hopefully Nintendo will keep introducing us to awesome new gameplay elements right up until the very end of the game instead of sacrificing quality for quantity.
  14. Dec 9, 2011
    This is a great game. I have been a Zelda fan since the original came out for the NES. I am about 30 hours into the game and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute (yes even the introduction). The motion controls are glitchy (as others have mentioned); however, they are pretty good for being new technology. When they do get off-centered, they are easily re-calibrated. The thing that IThis is a great game. I have been a Zelda fan since the original came out for the NES. I am about 30 hours into the game and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute (yes even the introduction). The motion controls are glitchy (as others have mentioned); however, they are pretty good for being new technology. When they do get off-centered, they are easily re-calibrated. The thing that I enjoy most about the game is how much more difficult enemy encounters are. In any other Zelda game I usually can hack and slash my way through any non boss enemy. In this game, nearly every enemy requires strategy and thought. I have been hearing a lot of criticism about the graphics. I feel like Zelda fans generally appreciate the typical cartoony graphics and Nintendo is appealing to its typical client base. Also, when have realistic graphics every made a game good. There are tons of games out there that have amazing graphics but lack substance and aren't fun. If you are a real Zelda fan, this game probably will not be disappointing. Expand
  15. Dec 9, 2011
    Zelda introduces next gen gameplay paradigms, resulting in a fun, unique game with a great story. Even the much-maligned motion controls work well. Yet the game is still uniquely Zelda. Kudos to Nintendo.
  16. Dec 10, 2011
    Let's just say, this game is an absolute masterpiece. This is quite possibly the best game I have ever played. Nintendo perfectly blended beautiful music, a great art style, a surprisingly deep story, and perfect controls into this. The 5 years of work paid off amazingly.
  17. Dec 11, 2011
    This game is a masterpiece. The story is immersive, the gameplay is extremely enjoyable and will take you a very decent amount of time to fully complete. Also the addition of Hero Mode extends the time you will likely spend playing this absolutely fantastic game. For those of you who really appreciate the music in a game, Skyward Sword will have you begging for a Soundtrack release - theThis game is a masterpiece. The story is immersive, the gameplay is extremely enjoyable and will take you a very decent amount of time to fully complete. Also the addition of Hero Mode extends the time you will likely spend playing this absolutely fantastic game. For those of you who really appreciate the music in a game, Skyward Sword will have you begging for a Soundtrack release - the music is utterly great. Finally, the Nintendo Wii has become the games console it was always intended to be with the release of a truly majestic game in the form of a ground-breakingly good adventure.
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword completely justifies the purchase of a Nintendo Wii, if only for this title.
  18. Dec 12, 2011
    The Wii has had some very good games in its lifespan- Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Goldeneye 007- heck, even The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. But none surpass Skyward Sword, the game which truly capitalises upon the hardware, using motion controls to play a work of art.

PRESENTATION: Skyward Sword looks and sounds a treat- the impressionistic art style lends itself to the wacky, off-beat characters present here-in and the blur effect- while in use because of the Wii's lack of grunt- creates a beautiful painting in the background. The graphics also aid in the gameplay, accentuating what the player has to do with their new found mastery of the blade. The game also sounds delightful, the orchestrated soundtrack delivering many memorable tunes. The story is the best that the Zelda saga has to offer- deep characters with moving tales told through well-designed cinematic cutscenes. While the lack of voice-acting is a pain, I can understand why it was done- these characters probably wouldn't be quite so fun to talk to if they were being acted out. GAMEPLAY:
    Skyward Sword revolutionises the Zelda formula. It takes what was once only in the dungeons of its world and spreads them out across Hyrule, leaving you with a constant challenge, wherever you go. Skyloft is something of a hub from which you travel to the lands below. There you complete very original challenges and battle foes in an all-new way. In addition, the dungeons themselves are better designed- instead of having dozens of smaller rooms, the puzzles are built across huge halls! Now, the combat. Using super-accurate Motion Plus controls, battles themselves are puzzles which you have to defeat by swinging well. The first boss just goes to show how accurate they are, destroying you if you flail randomly! With 40 or so hours in the main plot, another 10-15 in bonus content like side-quests and then a harder version of the main plot, you are getting a lot of bang for your buck- 80-100 hours? This game is a must-own: the puzzles are brilliant, the monsters amazing, the graphics stunning and the soundtrack awe-inspiring. This has cast off the shadow of Ocarina Of Time is a game that all should play. 10/10
  19. Dec 12, 2011
    This was a great game that I had fun playing through. The motion controls are great to a point, but I found sometimes i would be doing the "right" thing to proceed on a puzzle but not be emphasizing the right movement with the motion controls. I would end up checking online and be like I have been doing that all along. I can overlook those 10 minutes of frustration here and there.This was a great game that I had fun playing through. The motion controls are great to a point, but I found sometimes i would be doing the "right" thing to proceed on a puzzle but not be emphasizing the right movement with the motion controls. I would end up checking online and be like I have been doing that all along. I can overlook those 10 minutes of frustration here and there. Another major flaw in the game is whenever you pick up an item for the first time each session it will go to a big cut scene and be like "oh hoorah you already have 10 of these but you got one for the first time again." The open sky area isn't as cool as Hyrule Field as you can do less exploring, at least put some mini dungeons on those islands or something. Aside from these gripes the dungeons were amazing, boss fights great, and a great story line. The issues i mentioned were the only thing keeping this from a 10. For a title like Zelda it is unacceptable to have these issues. Expand
  20. Dec 13, 2011
    Horrible controls, linearity, fetch quests galore, underwhelming sountrack, characters so utterly over the top ridiculously kiddy they make Wind Waker look like Gears Of War in comparison Skyward Sword proves yet again beyond a shadow of a doubt that not only is Eiji Aonouma a hack no talent director/producer but that the man can continually time and time again top his own efforts atHorrible controls, linearity, fetch quests galore, underwhelming sountrack, characters so utterly over the top ridiculously kiddy they make Wind Waker look like Gears Of War in comparison Skyward Sword proves yet again beyond a shadow of a doubt that not only is Eiji Aonouma a hack no talent director/producer but that the man can continually time and time again top his own efforts at horrible game design in a manner eerily similar to how his creative superior Shigeru Miyamoto seemingly can top himself at creating better and better games. Ever since the utter disaster and trainwreck as well insults to the Zelda series that were and are Majora's Mask and Wind Waker the Zelda series has been sliding downhill into mediocrity and impending irrelevancy. The solution of course is to either outright fire Eiji Aonouma or remove him from the Zelda team and get Miyamoto directing the series he and Takashi Tezuka invented again but will Nintendo do that? Will they do the right thing?? WIth their track record of idiotic decisions the answer to that question is unlikely. They give us a romance between Link and Zelda FINALLY and they STILL DON'T KISS! What the hell is wrong with Nintendo? 25 years of blue balling Link and the fanbase is utterly unacceptable. The Mass Effect series and Elder Scrolls have undoubtably surpassed what Zelda as a game franchise has become under Aonouma's stewardship and that never needed to happen but through Nintendo's negligence and arrogance it HAS happened. Skyward Sword offers us an ultra kiddy dumbed down Bizarre with idiotic parental figures one that gobbles like a turkey in an attempt to calm down the baby on his back which I'm sure only serves to upset the baby further and the mother idiotically calls out "hey yo!" so much to no one in particular you'd think she was a Scott Hall fan of late 90's professional wrestling fame. Add to that a cast of characters that belong on either the Disney Channel (Groose) or the Logo Network (Ghirahim, Pumpkin Soup bartender, Bizarre Fortune Teller, and Fun Island man) you've got a whole collection of characters that are simply inappropriate for the Legend Of Zelda's overall theme as a series which is that this game series is supposed to be and always was (before Eiji Aonouma got his dirty hands on it) a midieval sword and sorcery adventure which common sense dictates should feature mostly serious characters both that you can take seriously as your opponents as well your allies. The site of the eye shadow wearing, dangly diamond clad homosexual Ghirahim does not fill one with terror but a combination of disgust and laughter two feelings no one should be getting from a Legend Of Zelda series boss. Demise the final boss and predecessor of the Ganon character is more what the series is supposed to be all about but unfortunately we have to suffer through his homosexual non threatening buddy who belongs on the Logo Network Ghirahim through the majority of the game and not just once but three times we have to face that decidedly unmanly tribute to cultural marxism and the moral corruption of American society. Ultimately I give this game a 1 to both signify its quality from my perspective as well grudgingly say that hardcore Zelda fans should at least play through this one once before putting it on their shelves with the rest of the Nintendo shovelware to collect dust and never be played again to disgrace and insult our collective intelligence with. From the tedious and far too numerous Silent Realm fetch quests to the tad notes fetch quest Eiji Aonouma and the new director Hidemaro Fujibayashi have truly created something that competes NOT with Ocarina Of Time but rather with Superman 64, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker for the worst game of all time and with the latter two games for the worst so called "Zelda" game in the series history. Message to Nintendo in closing: If you have any sense left in you as a company remove Eiji Aonouma from the Zelda series development immediately and get Shigeru Miyamoto back in the director's chair or Takashi Tezuka either of the series original creators and get the best writer the series has ever had Yoshiaki Koizumi to write the story. If you want to make this series worth a damn again and sell more than Ocarina Of Time or equivalent to that title do as I say. You companies only care about money anyway and that NOT Disney-ing the series up is what will bring you the masses of money that you desire. Wind Waker was a flop and Skyward Sword is turning into a sales flop as well despite being the supposed fastest selling Zelda so understand that the overall Zelda fanbase has spoken. No more cartoons or Aonouma garbage we want a real and worthy Zelda game to follow in the direction Ocarina Of Time and Link To The Past had the series heading in so long ago and only Miyamoto and Tezuka know how to bring it back in that direction, back on course. Expand
  21. Dec 14, 2011
    I don't know what some people expect Zelda to "innovate", voices?? some of the best movies of al time don't have any spoken line on them. Character creation, mature looks??? That's not innovation and there are already excellent games that incorporate those elements. Zelda has always been about the dungeons, puzzles and that unmistakable sense of adventure that is present until the lastI don't know what some people expect Zelda to "innovate", voices?? some of the best movies of al time don't have any spoken line on them. Character creation, mature looks??? That's not innovation and there are already excellent games that incorporate those elements. Zelda has always been about the dungeons, puzzles and that unmistakable sense of adventure that is present until the last minute of this game.
    One can only give praise to this fantastic game. Among the very best of this generation and I'd recommend it to anyone who appreciates videogames for much more than online multiplayer, blood, weapons, sex and HD graphics.
  22. Dec 14, 2011
    I just beat the game an hour ago, so you can rest assured that this reviewer actually spent the time to play through the entire game before writing a review. *SPOILER ALERT* I have played through and completed almost every zelda and after this game it finally hit me just how repetitive this franchise has become. Don't get me wrong, i loved the controls, the selection of items was amazingI just beat the game an hour ago, so you can rest assured that this reviewer actually spent the time to play through the entire game before writing a review. *SPOILER ALERT* I have played through and completed almost every zelda and after this game it finally hit me just how repetitive this franchise has become. Don't get me wrong, i loved the controls, the selection of items was amazing and the difficulty is up there with some of the harder zeldas. You really gain a personal connection with zelda in the beginning and honestly I had a hard time putting the controller down because I wanted to save zelda. Unfortunetely after the 4th dungeon the story really dies down until you finish the 6th. and by the time i got to the 3rd dungeon dowsing had become somewhat of a chore, thankfully they changed that with the silent realms which were in fact quite fun and, especially the last two, a challenge. Stamina played a major role that really added to the combat as well as some of the frustrations, upgrading items was awesome until you ran out of things to upgrade. And this game definitely had some of the biggest twists in the story compared to other zelda iterations. But again most if not all of this just felt repetitive, There were great ideas here but they were never fully realized, how i wish zelda was just one massive open world, and that you had to make choices in the way you upgraded your items, and come on nintendo kill off your characters, your zelda fans have grown up, we want a grown up story, I dont mean blood, nudity, and language, i mean let me feel for a loss of one of the iconic characters, let link feel rage as his closest friend dies. Why are the dungeons so linear, design the dungeons to be completed in any order you choose, and make the way you solve the puzzles completely dependent on what dungeons you completed prior. This game had so much potential but fell short, fortunately when compared to other games that have come out this year, uncharted 3, skyrim, batman, portal 2 etc. it easily ranks up there with them if not surpasses them, I loved zelda far more than almost every other game this year, and as much as skyrim. But it does have its faults, if you are new to the zelda franchise you will love this, if you are a veteran you will probably be wishing there was more just like I am, and if your someone who hates motion controls, all I can say is give this one a chance, you wont regret it. As for the score, this game honestly deserves a 9 because of the combat. Sound and story were good, graphics were great for the wii, but because 121 people are obviously giving this game a poor rating without even playing this game, i'm gonna stoop down to their level and give this a 10 to try and get the user score up closer to where it should be. Expand
  23. Dec 15, 2011
    sin duda un zelda q desta entre los demas es mucho mas emotivo y expresivo en lo que es la personalidad de los personajes , una gran historia y un control mas que satisfactorio y q le agrega muchas funcionalidades al juego ademas de hacerlo mas entretenido
  24. Dec 18, 2011
    The long 5 year wait has finally come to an end and we finally have our hands on The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. I begin this review by stating that even if it took twenty years longer it would still be worth the wait. Sometimes it feels the wii was built so we could play this game, this game alone proves that motion controls are the way of the future, that nintendo was right. The 1 toThe long 5 year wait has finally come to an end and we finally have our hands on The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. I begin this review by stating that even if it took twenty years longer it would still be worth the wait. Sometimes it feels the wii was built so we could play this game, this game alone proves that motion controls are the way of the future, that nintendo was right. The 1 to 1 combat is just flawless, the enemies are challenging and require some thinking to defeat. And speaking of thinking the dungeons have the best puzzles the whole series has to offer, heck the entire game is the best the whole series has to offer. The story is fantastic, with unimaginable twists. By far the best wii game, the best zelda game, the best game ever to date. Expand
  25. Dec 19, 2011
    This game is truly a masterpiece, it goes even farther, by saying that this is the definition of epic. The motion controls are truly excellent. The visuals are beautiful and truly exploit the Wii limited hardware. The orchestrated music is a very good one. The story is fantastic. With being said i can say this game is truly must-have for everyone
  26. Dec 21, 2011
    This game is amazing. Probably the best Zelda game in the series so far, and that's saying a lot. The new crafting system is simple yet fun. The controls add to the experience but the game would be amazing without them as well. The game truly has an epic feeling and it seems every location you go there are secret spots worth checking out. One minor gripe is that it takes a little long toThis game is amazing. Probably the best Zelda game in the series so far, and that's saying a lot. The new crafting system is simple yet fun. The controls add to the experience but the game would be amazing without them as well. The game truly has an epic feeling and it seems every location you go there are secret spots worth checking out. One minor gripe is that it takes a little long to get going out of the gate, but once it does it is completely addicting. Expand
  27. Dec 30, 2011
    The game is not that good, since its more of the same stuff from older games, Zelda needs to redefine itself... its pretty much the same story, the same characters with different controls and dungeons, so its not as great as everyone is saying but still worth playing.
  28. Dec 22, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played, outstanding story, gameplay, presentation, controls, puzzles, music, everything!!!!!!!!!!!
    The game is also very long, my playthrough took about 45 hours while completing about half the side quests.
    If you don't have a Wii, go out and get one just for this game. And if you do have one, why aren't you playing this game now?!?!
  29. Dec 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is awesome. The story is well narrated actually closing in gaps left by other Zelda games before. This is the beginning of everything and as such it is a brilliantly narrated and very well polished. After I finished the game I felt as if I had grown stronger as Link did and got really into the whole story. I loved the game and would definitely classify it as one of the best Zelda games made so far. It's truly a master piece and Nintendo truly outdid themselves. Expand
  30. Dec 23, 2011
    An incredible addition to the Zelda series!

An incredible addition to the Zelda series!

This game really shakes up the old-school layout of the series; for some, this is a bad thing, but I loved it. Essentially, the 'overworld' areas have been done away with; this means that any new area you're going to explore is one riddled with puzzles and monsters. After you've gotten familiar with the layout of the area and you've scoured its nooks and crannies for keys, it seems to open up, allowing you to traverse easily through without having to run through the same puzzles again and again. This change to Zelda not only stretches out the adventure (I beat it in 35 hours at a quick pace), but it makes it more enjoyable as well.

Another improvement is the number of sidequests. Certainly there are more than Twilight Princess, but there aren't nearly enough as I would have liked; in total, there are about 15 or so. These sidequests are often fetch quests, but they're hardly annoying; and after all, everyone knows they're just filler, to establish something to do between dungeons. I enjoyed it, but there could have been more.

One sidequest done very well was the scrap shop in the Bazaar; it wasn't quite a sidequest, but it was definitely optional. Essentially, you collect monster spoils from your adventures, give it to the mechanic, and he'll upgrade your equipment with the raw materials for some cash. You can upgrade nearly all your tools and weapons, increasing durability, power, range, capacity, etc. Overall, a really fantastic aspect to this game.

There's also a wide variety of bugs (for catching) in addition to spoils, and they can be used to enhance potions and increase their potency; it's a nice addition, but it's not quite as impressively relevant as upgrading weapons. Bugs can also be sold to some creep in the Knight Academy, but again, they're not as great as spoils.

Next, graphics; some may call them childish, but I adored them. The detail is amazing, particularly when soil sifts in with grass, like on the edge of a dirt path. Also, the interior of houses is beautiful, with plenty of geometry spread over the desks. I did not, however, like the faces particularly; in some scenes, the shadings all weird, and Link just looks strange. Sometimes text is blurry, especially when its bolded in red. Overall, Nintendo did the best they could do with the Wii's graphical power, and it really is beautiful.

The plot in this game is good, too, but it's nothing special; Fi is on par with Navi and previous helpers, but neither compare to Midna from Twilight Princess. There are some very touching moments between Link and Zelda, but even so, the plot passes but doesn't seem to stand out anywhere.

Finally, controls; these take a bit of getting used to, but after the first area you'll have broken them in and you'll really be getting into the Wii Motion Plus. It works very well, contrary to what others might say, and I love the way its implemented into the gameplay. For those who didn't know, the basic combat mechanics in 3D Zeldas (Z-targeting) are still intact, and they work great. I don't miss button-based swordplay. Nintendo said in a recent interview that they would be using motion controls in the next Zelda, so longtime Zelda fans might want to get used to them, because they might not be going away.

Overall, Zelda: Skyward Sword is an epic, beautiful game with fantastic (10 / 10) gameplay. It doesn't quite excel plot-wise (8 / 10), but it definitely gets by. Graphics are beautiful (9 / 10), but nothing HD couldn't help. Controls, tied in very much so with gameplay, are the best yet (10 / 10). Sidequests are very nice, particularly upgrading equipment, but could be better (8 / 10). In conclusion, I'm going to have to say this is an epic game and deserves plenty of attention; 9 / 10.
  31. Dec 24, 2011
    Best Zelda game so far! I wish there were more areas to explore, like in Wind Waker, but as far as the story goes, it's super. I love the hints that direct towards Ocarina of Time. I hope they're all related.
  32. Dec 25, 2011
    I must say, I don't think I have ever played a game this complete and this in sync with a game system. Skyward Sword delivered the greatest Zelda experience to date. The story is great and the game play is remarkable. This is the game the Nintendo Wii was designed for. This is an experience that will live forever in a gamer's heart.
  33. Dec 26, 2011
    The Game's An Overall Masterpiece, Though Sometimes It Can Feel A Little Too Easy, And It's Real Annoying When The Controls Go Off Center. Other Than That,This Should Belong In Anyone's Collection!
  34. Dec 27, 2011
    Another Zelda game, another entirely overrated game. This franchise has been stagnating since the release of Ocarina of Time. Graphics - Really? This is 2011, and after 5 years in development, this game still looks awful. I have never been a fan of the cartoon look (an i'm not alone), but even I knew Wind Waker looked beautiful. This game, however, does not. Moreover, if you'reAnother Zelda game, another entirely overrated game. This franchise has been stagnating since the release of Ocarina of Time. Graphics - Really? This is 2011, and after 5 years in development, this game still looks awful. I have never been a fan of the cartoon look (an i'm not alone), but even I knew Wind Waker looked beautiful. This game, however, does not. Moreover, if you're Nintendo, you will probably not increase the appeal of this series by choosing this particular art style.

Gameplay- Typical Wii crap, but even worse. Look, I've played plenty of Wii games, and the games where the controls haven't been an issue are those where the whole motion controls aren't stressed (example being DKC Returns). However, Skyward Sword does stress the motion controls, and it doesn't do a good job. Holding your shied up is whatever, and the so-called "precise" sword slices aren't precise. Also, you're better off just avoiding attacks than using your shield, and most enemies on most occasions can be defeated by basic button-mashing sword slicing. Making those so focused upon, and supposedly essential precise sword swings unnecessary. Story- The only aspect of the game which I don't completely dislike. Having said that, it's not executed all that well. It reminds of Wind Waker, which I thought had an interesting concept to it, but wasn't told or illustrated in a good way. The same applies to this game. Some of the reasons for the game's lackluster story stem from poor English grammar (a lot of fragments, clunky sentences, weird language, etc.). The game also spends a lot of time telling you important to mundane things 2 to 3 times, which is aggravating. Most of the time though, there is just too much useless conversations (which cannot be skipped, only sped up). Also, when will Zelda incorporate voice talent? It really is noticeable in this game for the forgoing reasons. Other - There are other issues which bring this game down. First off, I hope you like backtracking, because there will be plenty of that (which is a cardinal sin I believe in a Zelda series). Second, most of the weapons offered in this game aren't all that good, or rarely used (the game is honestly obsessed with the sword, something I have never seen in a Zelda; maybe Zelda II?). Third, despite this game being the first to use a full orchestra, the songs aren't memorable nor made to fully take advantage of the instruments. Fourth, the game takes about 5+ hours before it actually gets interesting; that's absolutely inexcusable for any game, movie, book, etc. Again, this will not appeal to any new fans. Moreover, the ease of this game (the constant hand holding, coddling is pathetic). In the end, I don't think this game is awful, but its not great, let alone the "best Zelda ever" as so many idiots have noted. This game is weaker than Twilight, which was weaker than Wind Waker, which was weaker than Ocarina. The series simply hasn't been magical in 10+ years, and this recent entry further solidifies my idea that this series is and will continue to stagnate

[Note: I gave this game a 0 only to drop its rating from 7.7, which is WAY to high]
  35. Dec 29, 2011
    WHY SO MUCH HATE? This is my first review and I will put this game a 10! you know why? is not because I'm a Zelda fan or a Wii fan... IT'S BECAUSE THIS GAME DESERVES IT! The motion control is NOT PERFECT, but it works very good. The graphics are perfect for being a Wii game. If this game was for PS or Xbox360 the graphics would be really bad but you can't expect perfect graphics for a WiiWHY SO MUCH HATE? This is my first review and I will put this game a 10! you know why? is not because I'm a Zelda fan or a Wii fan... IT'S BECAUSE THIS GAME DESERVES IT! The motion control is NOT PERFECT, but it works very good. The graphics are perfect for being a Wii game. If this game was for PS or Xbox360 the graphics would be really bad but you can't expect perfect graphics for a Wii game like Zelda, maybe for Mario. The plot is captivating and shows us the beginning of the franchise... Now, the formula WORKS AND WILL DO FOREVER! I will never show it's age because it's like this and there are other game like Skyrim and Call of Duty that have almost the same gameplay but with different story for all their games... but they're still good games and.. well, this game is awesome and the music is great so, I really recommend this. jl0329 commented a review for Dinasty Warriors? THIS IS SKYWARD SWORD FOCKING IDIOT!!! Expand
  36. Dec 29, 2011
    A worthy successor to the Zelda mythos. Addition of motion controls is overrated, but does add another layer to the game play. I have to keep remembering what motions to make in order to do the finishing moves, but still worth the game time. Flying becomes a bit tedious in the same way that riding trains became tedious in Spirit Tracks, especially when my arms started to hurt. But for aA worthy successor to the Zelda mythos. Addition of motion controls is overrated, but does add another layer to the game play. I have to keep remembering what motions to make in order to do the finishing moves, but still worth the game time. Flying becomes a bit tedious in the same way that riding trains became tedious in Spirit Tracks, especially when my arms started to hurt. But for a first party effort from Nintendo, worth picking up and adding to the collection. Not willing to say if it's better than Twilight Princess just yet, but I'm glad I picked it up. Expand
  37. Dec 30, 2011
    I'm sorry, but as a true fan of Zelda, I must say this with sorrow in my heart: Skyward Sword is not the perfect game the reviews are telling us.

It's a good game, true, but it has many annoying elements that could be better: control more precise, more dungeons, less repetitive worlds, do not leave all the good stuff for the final moments, include day/night or include chickens! Anyway,

Anyway, the game is adictive and the story is amazing ;)
  38. Jul 5, 2014
    I am giving this game a 7 for admittedly selfish reason of I couldn't finish the game. Not because of gameplay...gameplay was awesome no doubt about it. I'm giving this a 7 because Fi ruined every aspect of my experience. OMG this character is the most annoying thing ever. She wouldn't shut up about her unnecessary statistics about things we can figure on our own. Worst of all, I couldn'tI am giving this game a 7 for admittedly selfish reason of I couldn't finish the game. Not because of gameplay...gameplay was awesome no doubt about it. I'm giving this a 7 because Fi ruined every aspect of my experience. OMG this character is the most annoying thing ever. She wouldn't shut up about her unnecessary statistics about things we can figure on our own. Worst of all, I couldn't just mute the game to avoid her nonsense because Fi would pause my battles for her to give obvious adv---SHUT UP I DON'T CARE!! I want to strangle this person who pitched Fi to be included in this game. Expand
  39. Dec 30, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay where do I even begin? This game is a masterpiece and a must have for all of the gamers out there. This game brought me back to the "good old days" when I would sit in my room, away from all distractions playing some Zelda. I spent my entire week playing this game and didn't face a single moment of boredom. The only annoying thing about this game was having to reset the calibration on my wii motion plus controller every now and again. Despite the resseting issues, the motion sensing gameplay was fantastic. I did miss the Zoras and Dekus but the replacement kikwis, parella and mogmas are a new look at the Zelda universe and are actually pretty cool. The boss battlesgradually grow harder as you proceed into the story. The environment is huge. Flying your loftwing is great. The entire game is compelling and, as hard as it is to say this, matches the greatness of LoZ OoT! Expand
  40. Jan 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was my favorite The Legend of Zelda game, but it had a few small flaws. For one, I loved the new style; there were so many more colors compared to the others. It really brightened up the game, especially Skyloft. Very pretty. I also liked how in this game, instead of Link risking his life to save some random princess, Zelda was his best friend, someone who he really cared about. It made the game's storyline so much better, in my opinion. I really hope the next one will be somewhat like that. I especially liked the new weapons- the Beatle, the Whip, and the Gust Bellows. A nice mix-up in the tools. I enjoyed seeing what they would do. Flying around was amazing, something I had always wished was in a Zelda game. The lack of islands with stuff to do on them was a bit disappointing, but not a big flaw. The side quests and mini games were great, especially the Thunder Dragons Lighting Round. Beating the bosses again was something I looked forward to when playing the game, and you could earn some valuable things. It was a little weird not just receiving the Hylian shield, but it was a fun twist. The dungeons were amazing- VERY, very cool! I enjoyed all of the things you had to do to get through them; the puzzles really made you think! But it was better then zipping through the game. Upgrading equiptment was a bit of a challenge, considering a few things made you wait a bit to get them, like the tumbleweeds. I was running EVERYWHERE around Lanyura Desert, trying to find them.... It made me go crazy when I missed one, but it was fun. Many of the bosses were a bit of a challenge to figure out how to beat them, but the game is made for thinking! The Gate of Time was great, in the aspect that when you went back in time, it wasnt just a Temple, or place, it was the whole thing, like a portal. Finding the sacred flames and making the sword into the Master Sword was much better then just receiving it, and the Skyward Strike was awesome. A few of the things I didnt like were the interactions with the people in Skyloft. You had to hear them repeat things many times, especially with buying the potions. I bought heart potions for the dungeons, and I was annoyed with the fact that you couldn't skip through their talking. But, oh well. I also didnt like the fact that there were monsters roaming Skyloft at night; it made it very hard to catch bugs with out the distractions. I didnt like turning a corner and having to fight off another cat thing.... And Fi. She got on my nerves after awhile, with the 'I have calculated a 90 percent chance that this carving will unlock the door', or her just repeating things you already know. I didnt exactly like fighting Ghirahim and The Imprisoned more then one time; I kinda wanted something new.... And the ending- For me, it was a HUGE disappointment. I expected it to continue after you beat Demise, like it continued in the other, older games. Either that, or continue it with a longer cut-scene. I didnt like how it left you hanging; It would have been nice to know more of what happened after their world was 'rid of evil', or as I mentioned, let the game continue. Sealing Demise in the sword was weird, and I didnt like how it was used as his prison. You might guess all of the monsters were gone, and everything went back to normal, ect... All in all, though, I really enjoyed playing the game. It was thrilling, and defialty outstanding. Given that it was played on the Wii made it 10x better, because you felt like you were swinging the sword, or shooting the arrow. I played the game for 63 hours, and the game never messed up once; No lag, no freezing, and it was very precise, very clear. I was never once frusterated with the game play, and I was always amazed with the graphics (Shading, movement, detail, ect.) An absolutely wonderful game despite the small flaws. I was very impressed with Skyward Sword. Expand
  41. Jan 2, 2012
    This was an accumulation of past Zelda games coming together to make the perfect Zelda game. The enviroment and setting was the most beautiful SD game I've ever seen played. My only gripes were the dungeons whilst innovative and clever were a bit too easy compared to say Twilight Princess and Wind Waker and the motion controls were awkward with certain enemies, especially the fwd stabbingThis was an accumulation of past Zelda games coming together to make the perfect Zelda game. The enviroment and setting was the most beautiful SD game I've ever seen played. My only gripes were the dungeons whilst innovative and clever were a bit too easy compared to say Twilight Princess and Wind Waker and the motion controls were awkward with certain enemies, especially the fwd stabbing motion never worked for me properly, sometimes I died due to Link not following my commands due to the Wii remote. The humour was Unique to Zelda as usual and the story telling was 1st class, a really excellent different take on the tried and tested Zelda formula. cooking games, pandora, limewire Expand
  42. Jan 2, 2012
    Don't hate this game because YOU can't figure out the motion control's just yet. Or because you think the graphics "suck" ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! LOOK AT OCARINA OF TIME or even the very first Zelda game! It is supposed to be somewhat kid oriented, but that has always been part of the Zelda charm and HELLO it's a NINTENDO GAME. I love how they use tons of Zelda and Nintendo logic for theDon't hate this game because YOU can't figure out the motion control's just yet. Or because you think the graphics "suck" ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! LOOK AT OCARINA OF TIME or even the very first Zelda game! It is supposed to be somewhat kid oriented, but that has always been part of the Zelda charm and HELLO it's a NINTENDO GAME. I love how they use tons of Zelda and Nintendo logic for the puzzles. Like rotating the sword to make the eye dizzy. If I could give this game a high rating I would! It's exactly like Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Windwaker all into one amazing game!! BEST GAME of the series in my opinion, and please note I started playing Zelda games at the age of seven. What makes this game the best: Realistic fighting, you don't just swing your sword to kill enemies because some of them especially Ghirahim will know where you are going to strike. By the way, best villain ever definitely compares with Gannondorf! Side Quests are just awesome and have also always been a part of what makes a Zelda game a Zelda game. The art style of the game makes me feel like I am playing a classic Zelda game and watching a Disney movie at the same time! It's a game that isn't beaten in just a day or two, it takes time to work through the game and figure out, which is awesome. Well worth the money! Its a breeze of excitement and wonder. How can you not love/like this game or at least give this game a worthy rating?! It's okay because in my book it's a perfect 10, oh hey look 583 positive to 131 negative, hope my score helps ;P Expand
  43. RRR
    Jan 3, 2012
    There are simply no words for how good The Legend of Zelda is. All of the games that have been launched into the market by Nintendo are great, but Skyward Sword is really amazing. I have not been able to stop playing it, since I got a few days ago. Nintendo Repair Shop
    www nintendorepairshop com
  44. Jan 4, 2012
    I think that after playing it for a while, I can say that this is another jewel product of the mind of Shigeru Miyamoto, the story is simply amazing, the soundtrack is outstanding, but graphics and gameplay are not as great as you expect, also is such a shame that wii doesn't have HD =(
  45. Jan 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. is perfect, I put the 10/10, very nice graphics, fantastic story
    and has many more items and gadgets!(compared to other Î
  46. Oct 29, 2012
    Easily the best Zelda since Majora's Mask and the biggest leap forward in modern gaming since Ocarina of Time. The controls are flawless, the combat is fluent, the puzzle-solving is top-notch, and the music is easily the best in the franchise. Any Wii owner would be a fool to miss out on this work of art. Truly a masterpiece.
  47. Jan 6, 2012
    Outstanding game! Nintendo have stayed true to the Zelda franchise and delivered something that I will definitely be playing multiple times! The controls can take a little while to get used to and did sometimes get frustrating when trying to aim which is why it has lost its 10 rating from me.
  48. Jan 28, 2012
    Most Amazing game I've ever played. This game plays out the Zelda format perfectly, so if you liked any other Zelda game, or any game from a puzzle genre, action genre, adventure genre, fun genres, and any genre. This game has the best game play out of any game ever, the motion controls compliment this game better than any other game's controls do. This game will also take you a while toMost Amazing game I've ever played. This game plays out the Zelda format perfectly, so if you liked any other Zelda game, or any game from a puzzle genre, action genre, adventure genre, fun genres, and any genre. This game has the best game play out of any game ever, the motion controls compliment this game better than any other game's controls do. This game will also take you a while to beat. It took me 75 hours to complete it. This game is just amazing, if you hear or think its bad, its probably because they don't own a Wii. Expand
  49. Feb 18, 2012
    The waiting is finally over, Skyward Sword can now be played by anyone. The idea of mixing the graphics of Twilight princess and wind waker was awesome, and the result was just incredible. You start your adventure in Skyloft, a floating island in the middle of the sky. You receive a letter from Zelda and BAM, the game starts. Instead of epona you have a big bird called loftwing, which isThe waiting is finally over, Skyward Sword can now be played by anyone. The idea of mixing the graphics of Twilight princess and wind waker was awesome, and the result was just incredible. You start your adventure in Skyloft, a floating island in the middle of the sky. You receive a letter from Zelda and BAM, the game starts. Instead of epona you have a big bird called loftwing, which is pretty damn cool to ride on. Your relationship with zelda is higher, and from the point when she is captured you start to really care about it and get motivated to save her. The motion control works incredibly, and the boss battles are fun and epic. The cut scenes are fantastic, and the characters are memorable in different ways, or because he (or she) is a **** or because he is dumb, but starts helping you, and end up being the nicest guy in the game. The history is cool, not that much but pretty cool. If you're a zelda fan, you should buy this game. No doubts one of the best games nintendo made until now, and a major game in history of gaming. Expand
  50. Jan 11, 2012
    My boyfriend got this for me for Christmas - He loves gaming, but I'm pretty bad at it. We both thought this would be a good way for me to play something with him that was maybe more my speed. The controls were weird, and the game seemed pretty dull and boring. I don't know enough about games, but even he said that this game was a huge disappointment for him (he's a big zelda fan).My boyfriend got this for me for Christmas - He loves gaming, but I'm pretty bad at it. We both thought this would be a good way for me to play something with him that was maybe more my speed. The controls were weird, and the game seemed pretty dull and boring. I don't know enough about games, but even he said that this game was a huge disappointment for him (he's a big zelda fan). Pretty lackluster, not much else to say. Although I did learn a new phrase! "Fetch quest", lol. This game is full of them. Expand
  51. Jan 17, 2012
    Ok first of to all the people that keep saying that "this zelda is more of the same and is worthless" well can you tell me WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? Elder scrolls VI: Zelda or what???? really people, if you buy a zelda game you already now about 50% of what the concept of the game is ,what changes would you add??? ,making it a hack n slash or removing the dungeons???? NO and beside if you doOk first of to all the people that keep saying that "this zelda is more of the same and is worthless" well can you tell me WHAT DID YOU EXPECT? Elder scrolls VI: Zelda or what???? really people, if you buy a zelda game you already now about 50% of what the concept of the game is ,what changes would you add??? ,making it a hack n slash or removing the dungeons???? NO and beside if you do that the game would be a total garbage. But anyway this zelda is one of the best of the series, the dungeon desing is amazing and the puzzles are really well made not to mention that you can repeat boss fights. The controller is great and makes the combat challenging, if you think that motion controls sucks this game is a proof that when motion gaming is done correctly the games mechanics work perfect and are enjoyable. Expand
  52. Jan 11, 2012
    I've played this game for 10 hours and I seriously can't understand all the 10s this game is getting. Must be Nintendo employees or fanboys. This game can be extremely annoying at times. There is a lot of dialog in this game, but the dialog boxes are typed out so slowly and there's no way to speed them up. By itself this wouldn't be so bad, but they keep popping up with "helpful" hintsI've played this game for 10 hours and I seriously can't understand all the 10s this game is getting. Must be Nintendo employees or fanboys. This game can be extremely annoying at times. There is a lot of dialog in this game, but the dialog boxes are typed out so slowly and there's no way to speed them up. By itself this wouldn't be so bad, but they keep popping up with "helpful" hints which simply can't skip and in one case had to wait through 3 of them each time I had to reattempt a particular challenge which was so frustrating (just let me retry the challenge again already)! Also annoying is the dialog that is often forced on you when you enter an area or at the end of a fight. Even more annoying is when a NPC directs you to do something and the game forces you to do it on the spot without letting you run off to grab that heart of gem a monster dropped not far away first. If you run too far away from where you need to do this task, you get a dialog with the same directions again and get teleported back. The combat controls are annoying. For many enemies you have to angle your sword attack in a particular way, but it's too sensitive to the initial movement you make before you make the proper swing you actually intended to make, so it often takes a few attempts to make a simple horizontal attack for example. Also, throwing items requires a particular motion with the controller that never seems to work for me on the first attempt. And it's far too sensitive to the angle of the controller in order to power up your sword. On the other hand, simply shaking the controller is sufficient for most fights. The camera movements can also be a bit annoying at times. Having said all that, it's not a bad game. Yes, it's like the previous Zeldas in many ways, but that's what the fans expect and want and that's what they've delivered. Expand
  53. Jan 12, 2012
    This game was AMAZING! I just finished it and I have to say it was something new. For those of you saying it needs something new WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT??? The game has changed all the controls and the way the game works in a completely new manner. It's the same great epic story served on a different plate amazing music amazing new tools JUST FUN.
  54. Jun 17, 2012
    A truly gorgeous game with an engaging story, masterful controls and epic soundtrack. This is an adventure you don't want to come to an end. The only glaring flaw is see in this game is that the tutorial is way too long and a little off putting, but after that its an epic journey until the end.
  55. Jan 17, 2012
    This is a perfect wii game! and such a thrilling adventure! The graphics are just absolutely gorgeous and amazing. The soundtrack is mindblowing and the gameplay is just perfect with the wii motion plus!
  56. Jan 17, 2012
    Dont listen to the dumb trolls on this site...this game is just as good as OOT. Any true Zelda fan will attest to that. This is a game that MUST be owned and played by everyone.
  57. Jan 18, 2012
    Please you introduce classic control system.
    Motion control is a ****
    The Legend of Zelda SS is a worse game after The Legend of Zelda WW and TP, in fact they demonstrate it to the sales.
    It gets worse sales for The Legend of Zelda home of the history
  58. Jan 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I Am a greatest for the legend of zelda, but I have not absolutely appreciated new combat system.
    The legend of zelda is not bad hack and slash, is beautiful adventure. motion plus is annoying and tiring controller. Please returned classic control in the future, otherwise I will not buy wii u
  59. Jan 29, 2012
    Uno de los mejores Zeldas en la historia. la historia es un poco lenta y tarda en ponerte en contexto pero una vez que llegas al punto te das cuenta de lo genial que es. altamente recomendable para los fans. y para los pobres diablos que le ponen 0 solo les puedo decir regresen a los COD que son los unicos que estan a la altura de sus miseros intelectos!
  60. Jan 25, 2012
    This game isn't really that good and I love Zelda! Poor job I have to say. Nothing really even makes sense in this game but I guess you have to do better next time.
  61. Jan 25, 2012
    Easily the best Zelda game ever released. The motion controls are excellent and I love the storyline. The addition for equipment upgrades is also excellent as it gives the player incentive to hunt out as many items as possible to get the best equipment available.
  62. Jan 29, 2012
    This game is a masterpiece. I really can't say one bad thing about this game. This game presents itself in a stunning way, with an easily accessible menu, the upgrade system, the graphics, sound, EVERYTHING. The game has a strong appeal, making you eager to continue the game. What I mean by this is the game is always switching things up. Another thing that astounded me was the graphics. IThis game is a masterpiece. I really can't say one bad thing about this game. This game presents itself in a stunning way, with an easily accessible menu, the upgrade system, the graphics, sound, EVERYTHING. The game has a strong appeal, making you eager to continue the game. What I mean by this is the game is always switching things up. Another thing that astounded me was the graphics. I wasn't really proud of the graphics at first, but trust me, as you progress through the game, you'll fall in love. It's a bit of a mix of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, and it proves that games don't need to be HD, 1080p to look good. The Wii Motion Plus works excellent as well. I'm not a big fan of motion controls, which leads to my only complaint (you have to calibrate the controller once in a while), but after playing this game, I don't know if I want the new Zelda to drop motion controls.
    About the graphics, the art style really works well. It fits the mood of the game, and to be honest, it's something that makes me want to replay the game. The gameplay is also great. The combat is much improved, so now you have to swing in different directions, actually have to use your shield in some cases, potions, etc. This game is quite challenging sometimes (compared to the other Zelda games). The upgrade system is pretty cool, although isn't a huge deal. You can upgrade almost any item (for instance, the beetle, you can upgrade it so it has a speed boost) or you can upgrade potions to make them stronger, or have more uses. The exploration is also fun, as throughout the game, you will find Goddess Cubes which you hit with a skyward strike, which unlocks a treasure chest in the sky. There are some sidequests, some of which are not all that fun, while others are a blast. This game lasted me about 52 hours (including all side quests, goddess cubes, etc.). There is even a boss battle mode and a Hero Mode (similar to the master quest in OoT) when you complete the game. As I said in the beginning, this game is a masterpiece. Character development is excellent, story is amazing, and all the other little things that add up with the game. I never thought that Majora's Mask would be placed 2nd out of all my favorite games, but this game definitely deserves the crown. I know this review might seem a little bias, but I honestly can't say anything bad about the game (except having to recalibrate your controller sometimes).
  63. Jan 30, 2012
    As a game I'll give this a 7, but as a Zelda game I'll give it a 5-6.
    Huge disappointment in this game, been a massive zelda fan for about 14years, prior to this one wind waker was the only one I did not finish, not because I couldn't but because I didn't want to.
    As a game I'll give this a 7, but as a Zelda game I'll give it a 5-6.

The game has loads of very tedious tasks that seem only there to lengthen the game. It is very annoying that every time you start up the game you always have to discover the weird elements things and bugs all over again, you always have to keep talking to the shop owner to buy something unlike scrolling across like the old games.
    I hated the controls, there was nothing wrong with using a hand controller for zelda, if they really wanted to experiment they should have given you a choice to have the motion or normal controller,
    I had to stop playing after collecting part of a song from Faron, I know the rest of the game is just pretty much that so I'd rather just watch the ending than suffer that tedious task another two times plus the other pointless tasks I'll probably have to do before getting to the end.

If they make another, then I hope they go back like it was in the good old days
  64. Mar 1, 2012
    "The Legend of Boredo...."....ah-emm, "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword", while it could only seem an interesting game for six to eight years old guys if it weren't so boring and tiring, it's instead the perfect game for lobotomized ones. Yes, thanks Ninty for keep saying me what i have to do for the whole game, cause been lobotomized I lack that piece of brain to understand it by"The Legend of Boredo...."....ah-emm, "The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword", while it could only seem an interesting game for six to eight years old guys if it weren't so boring and tiring, it's instead the perfect game for lobotomized ones. Yes, thanks Ninty for keep saying me what i have to do for the whole game, cause been lobotomized I lack that piece of brain to understand it by myself, despite this I have to give this game a 0 only to drop its rating which is actually WAY to high, otherwise it could deserve even a 2. Expand
  65. Feb 2, 2012
    I game is well enough, I am fan of Zelda, but there is some bugs.
  66. Feb 5, 2012
    Being the first true Zelda game for Wii, any Wii owner should consider picking this up. The story is full of interesting characters and great cinematics, despite lacking voice acting. The game play itself is what really shines. Now the challenge is spread into the environment, meaning that you will be solving puzzles, completing tasks, and even acquiring items outside dungeons. Taking anBeing the first true Zelda game for Wii, any Wii owner should consider picking this up. The story is full of interesting characters and great cinematics, despite lacking voice acting. The game play itself is what really shines. Now the challenge is spread into the environment, meaning that you will be solving puzzles, completing tasks, and even acquiring items outside dungeons. Taking an idea from metroid, you will revisit areas with new equipment and at new points in the story to discover new areas. The controls are also great. The implication of Wii motion plus is not just a gimmick. It detects the actual direction the Wii remote is pointing/tilting, which is used to produce precise sword combat and other controls, such as riding your loftwing. The graphical style is actually art. Up close textures are clear and vivid but in the distance things appear like a painting, slowly coming into focus as you move closer. The only downsides are that some bosses are revisited too many times (ghirahim and the imprisoned have 3 forms!) which can get a bit repetitive. Also, the game could use a bit more exploration, voice acting, and the upgrade system, although a great idea, feels a bit grindy for a Zelda game. But all in all, this is my third favorite Zelda, behind A Link to the Past and in front of Majora's Mask. You owe it to yourself to give this a try. Expand
  67. Sep 19, 2013
    well I did not like Twilight Princess I really like the hybrid between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess's graphics it looks like a water colors and just adds a whole lot of life to game the gameplay is just as good the controls are pitch perfect I never have ran into a problem with this game the story is mind blowing and just amazing the characters have matured so much I wonder what willwell I did not like Twilight Princess I really like the hybrid between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess's graphics it looks like a water colors and just adds a whole lot of life to game the gameplay is just as good the controls are pitch perfect I never have ran into a problem with this game the story is mind blowing and just amazing the characters have matured so much I wonder what will Zelda look like in the next generation Wii U the Music is perfect no complaints at all the game is just perfect I beat it 23 times and haven't gotten bored this is just pure Nintendo magic 10/10 from me no regrets Expand
  68. Feb 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is without a doubt the best game i played in 2011, it is just as good as Ocarina Of Time. The characters, the story, and THE MUSIC. *brain explodes into candy* AWESOME! but the hubworld kinda feels empty and i sometimes have problems with the controls, but those are just minor nitpicks which i can easily resolve with. I had a choice between Batman Arkham city, Sonic generations, and this to pick at gamestop. Even though i was kinda regretful at first, I made the right choice. If Link and Zelda would've kissed, then i would give it an 11/10, but that's not the case, but i will give this game an A+. Expand
  69. Feb 11, 2012
    The graphics and characters are incredible, the sounds and music are great. The challenges are awesome. Or would be, except...

Nintendo has removed the features that made older Zelda games popular and successful; searching, thinking, reasoning out challenges. In Skyward Sword you're shown or told at least twice everything you have to do to proceed. Not only are you not given a chance to think for yourself, you're prevented from doing it. Zelda is now a movie with interminable and inescapable cut scenes punctuated with "twitch" game segments. It's no wonder Nintendo is having financial difficulties.
  70. Feb 13, 2012
    The legend of zelda: link to the past is one of the first games I can remember playing, and loving. It's nice to see that even after all those years that Nintendo remembers what makes the series great, and sticks to its roots in the latest installment. I wasn't too crazy about the new look at first, but it really does grow on you, and the motion controls worked as I expected. If you'reThe legend of zelda: link to the past is one of the first games I can remember playing, and loving. It's nice to see that even after all those years that Nintendo remembers what makes the series great, and sticks to its roots in the latest installment. I wasn't too crazy about the new look at first, but it really does grow on you, and the motion controls worked as I expected. If you're having trouble with the controls, I suggest trying a different room, tv, set-up, anything, as I've heard of others having problems only in one room. All that said, this is a zelda game, and while the main enemy is a bit lackluster, I found it to be darn good game. Expand
  71. Feb 13, 2012
    By no means this is the best Zelda game ever, for me Majoras Mask, TP and Wind Waker were far better . I believe that Skyward Sword was made so that they could show the limits of the wii motion plus controller. I played 30 hours of it and i could have never imagined that you could use the controller in so many different ways. I would say however that this is good but bad as well, it getsBy no means this is the best Zelda game ever, for me Majoras Mask, TP and Wind Waker were far better . I believe that Skyward Sword was made so that they could show the limits of the wii motion plus controller. I played 30 hours of it and i could have never imagined that you could use the controller in so many different ways. I would say however that this is good but bad as well, it gets too tiresome in sometimes but nothing that you couldnt bear it. Well, the story is fairly good, i very much appreciate it and enjoyed and made me remember how fantastically a story of a game can be. The sound is good, but zelda standards in this category is too high, so in general was good but you wish it could have been slightly better. the graphics were okay, nothing special but nothing bizarre. Im a huge fan of the zelda franchise so despicte some flaws in this game I really enjoyed overall, my final score would be an 8.5 Expand
  72. Mar 17, 2012
    Fetch quests....is that a legitimate substitute for the dungeon puzzles of the past? The 'dousing' mechanic is the worst thing to ever happen to this once great franchise. Well played, Nintendo. You just reused 80% of the content for us to play through again. Oh, and you have repeated non-skippable bullsh*t dialogue to torture the player with? Uh huh. Oh, you say you also have crappyFetch quests....is that a legitimate substitute for the dungeon puzzles of the past? The 'dousing' mechanic is the worst thing to ever happen to this once great franchise. Well played, Nintendo. You just reused 80% of the content for us to play through again. Oh, and you have repeated non-skippable bullsh*t dialogue to torture the player with? Uh huh. Oh, you say you also have crappy combat that pales in comparison to previous games? Yup. Oh, you say the game holds your hand so tightly their is almost no freedom of exploration? Sure, sure. I am a hug fan of Twilight, Wind Waker and past games, so it saddens me to give this a 5. This franchise, like others, is on cruise control. But with Zelda on the cover, you know those scores inflate reeeeaal. easy. Expand
  73. Feb 22, 2012
    The controls are heavenly but the game isn't. While the controls work great and lead to many interesting moments, there just isn't a fun game attached to them. It's pretty much just wasting time to get to one area of the world, which allows you to waste time in ANOTHER part of the world (That on the way, just waste your time with flying that can take several minutes. ) The only fun to beThe controls are heavenly but the game isn't. While the controls work great and lead to many interesting moments, there just isn't a fun game attached to them. It's pretty much just wasting time to get to one area of the world, which allows you to waste time in ANOTHER part of the world (That on the way, just waste your time with flying that can take several minutes. ) The only fun to be had in this game is inside the dungeons, which there are not enough of. I think I will skip future Zelda games if they are anything like this. Expand
  74. Feb 23, 2012
    One of the best games I have ever played. Nintendo have managed to correct every mistake in the past Zelda games and have created the best game on the Wii.
    The controls do exactly as I do, at the same time as me. Anyone with control lag or the controller not working, there are malfunctions in your MotionPlus. It works perfectly for me, with only a few mistakes when trying to fly upwards on the Loftwing.
    The art style, which would be an oil pastel/cartoony style, works with the Wii's poor graphical content, and looks like an early Xbox 360/PS3 game.
    The story is amazing, and I became imersed in it. How Nintendo managed to make the same old 'the princess is captured, go save her' into an amazing story, totally different from any other Zelda game, is unknown to me.
    The gameplay is amazing, and makes, yet again, a sucessful puzzle/action game.
    The additions of an upgrade system can be helpful, but brings along the age old monotonous sidequest of "find 5 of X and 2 of X".
    This game took me about 40 hours to finish the main quest, and I find that amazing how they can manage to keep a sucessful story running for that long, and how the puzzles can be more vexing than ever. The sidequests and upgrading everything kept me going for about 15-20 more hours.
    I can only find two tiny little faults with this amazing game, which I mentioned before, which was the monotonous sidequest of finding random items, and the little slip up in flying.
    This game is the only game, other than Fallout 3, which has made me say 'wow' outloud, countless times throughout. A must buy if you own a Wii. If you don't buy it for the simple reason of it being on the Wii, then you are missing out on an breathtaking experience.
  75. Feb 24, 2012
    This appears to be one of those games you either love or hate. Unfortunately no matter how much I WANTED to love it... I just couldn't. Going into the game I had a hard time sticking with it I was so bored... Then suddenly everyone started reassuring me "Oh no it get's good about 20 hours in". 20 hours? A Zelda game that doesn't get good until 20 hours in? I'm sorry where is the memo thatThis appears to be one of those games you either love or hate. Unfortunately no matter how much I WANTED to love it... I just couldn't. Going into the game I had a hard time sticking with it I was so bored... Then suddenly everyone started reassuring me "Oh no it get's good about 20 hours in". 20 hours? A Zelda game that doesn't get good until 20 hours in? I'm sorry where is the memo that said Zelda would be taking lessons from Final Fantasy. But even with that I trudged through hoping to get to the promised "good" that was oh so deeply buried under a mountain of trash. Sadly almost at the end of the game... it just never came. Everything seemed like a big out of the way wild goose chase and nothing really flowed all that well at all. The flying controls were "wonky" at best for lack of a better word. Displaying every damned item I'd seen a hundred times before stopping in the middle of everything to show me picking it up, the explanation of the item and showing it being deposited in my bag just seemed so very needless... And Fi, don't even get me started on Fi. After being told where something is by the various goofy characters in the game of course Fi has to pop up and say THERE IS A 95% CHANCE THAT THING IS WHERE THEY JUST SAID. Oh... oh wow thanks, what ever would I do without you? Oh what's that? I'm low on hearts? I should probably find some? MAN, so THAT'S what that constant annoying beeping was! Ugh... I can't think of too many redeeming features of this game... I really can't. The entire thing just seems like a big chore. After the one point where I have to collect all those things under water I just stopped. I just couldn't take the monotony anymore. I'm glad there are many people that got more joy out of the game than I did, but it's still no Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess... or hell even a Wind Waker. It's just not Zelda in my eyes. Expand
  76. Mar 6, 2012
    And so it was decided. That Nintendo would release the same game again and again. And again.

The story is the same story in every Zelda game, fighting is the same. and puzzles, although challenging, are just as tedious. I'm glad I switched to the Xbox. This is probably the last Zelda game I will ever buy because I have been buying the same game since Majoras Maks
  77. Feb 28, 2012
    This is by far one of the best Zelda games in history. The gameplay, graphics, and music are just absolutely AMAZING! Nintendo completely took advantage of the potential the Wii Motion Plus has.
  78. Mar 5, 2012
    I thought it couldn't be done. Since that dreadful Chrismas where I received Zelda 2: Link from Satan Clause . I was then subjected to the most depressing and frustrating game since TWO months ago when I got Super Mario Bros 2 for my birthday!! Mario aside, since that abomination (that was traded for Metroid to a naive neighbour! Whooo!) I have loved and enjoyed EVERY LoZ game. I'm notI thought it couldn't be done. Since that dreadful Chrismas where I received Zelda 2: Link from Satan Clause . I was then subjected to the most depressing and frustrating game since TWO months ago when I got Super Mario Bros 2 for my birthday!! Mario aside, since that abomination (that was traded for Metroid to a naive neighbour! Whooo!) I have loved and enjoyed EVERY LoZ game. I'm not going to wax poetic about every game I've played from the series, I'll just say my three favourite are Link to the Past, Majora's Mask and Windwaker. But I love every game in different ways, except for 2 and now Skyward Sword! The start was well told and the gameplay was fun. I was getting frustrated with the bird controls but presumed it was just first time play issues. Fast forward to the action and exploring aspects that were, again, frustrating but with these in time I got wise to but not the bird controls, which still had some serious stank to it!!! Though I will give a high five to the dropping off the bird and skydiving to a destination which looked very cool! The sword play is just like Twilight but a little more precise, the balancing/ledging was hard at first but got easy over time, the items were half and half with my real complaint being no boomerang!! I was a bit disappointed by the repeat boss, the mining facility, the beetle, the main bad guy, the utility belt, and that idiot clown mini-game. But my biggest frown was how little exploration and secrets there was. Only a handful of levels and very, very little exploring made the gameplay really repetitive and lacklustre. By the time I got to the air monster, I was in full depression and felt "Here we go again" which I NEVER had even in Majora's!! And that was Link's answer to Groundhog Day!!!! So I was really excited at the start, got emotional at points, had some fun but in the end I was left unfulfilled and frustrated. I'm not saying to avoid this game. If you love Zelda then buy this now!! If you've never played Zelda and am somewhat a game player, this game is actually very good as it helps you along and gives you minor hints. Though as a fan I found it very annoying after a while especially Fi's COMPUTER talk! I was just disappointed as a major fan, maybe due to me getting old and crusty!! What did it for me was that I had no need to play this game again after beating it and it has been some time now. That is what told me that Zelda 2, along with Mario 2, Kirby's Epic Yawn and Metroid Other M now had a new companion in my Nintendo Temple of Bore. Sorry again Link. Expand
  79. Mar 5, 2012
    The game that takes beyond the challenging and worn out mechanics of the saga. A pity Wii's technical limitations, but we would be speaking about a bomb explosion. Perfect in your development, ingenious, varied, entertaining and that uses the possibilities of wii in an exemplary way. The best Zelda and the Wii's best game.
  80. Mar 6, 2012
    It is Zelda. The only thing it does special are the motion controls, otherwise, its pretty average.
    The visuals and OST are both nice, but the gameplay does nothing special.
    The story is standard Zelda affair and Groose is the only character who is really likable.
    Its a solid game, just nothing all that special.
  81. Mar 6, 2012
    The story is articulated and is full of characters. The graphics is one of the best i've ever seen on the wii. The new gameplay is a revolution for the saga and the orchestral songs are really beatiful. This is a masterpiece of the history of gaming.
  82. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So many fetch quests that felt forced and unnecessary. Indeed "fetch the 15 pieces of the doodad I scattered around the land even though I know you're the hero and you need this doodad" was made into a chore in this game. Moreover, these doodads don't even serve a function! If I had been acquiring items by finding their pieces that were scattered by a malevolent demigod to impede my progress, I'd be content. There would be purpose to progress. However, instead you collect songs that are put in there for the sake of having songs, and unlike Ocarina of Time, they don't warp you anywhere or change game dynamics. Indeed, they are one-use spells that open some NEW FETCH QUEST TRIAL. Half of the sidequests involved going to the surface and finding an item that was literally RIGHT BESIDE the save statue. Fetch the 12 pieces of the song to open an area to fetch the 12 pieces of a spirit gauge to open the dungeon to fetch one of three flames. Incredible feedback and battle mechanics can't save the dreadful pacing and plot points. Great for sword fighting. Terrible for everything else. Expand
  83. Mar 7, 2012
    Enjoyable enough to be worth a look if you are a Zelda fan (as I am), but has a deliberate, heavy handed feel that can get tedious. There are very few mysteries or puzzles to actually "solve", as everything is spelled out...often literally... multiple times. As others have noted, the same battles have to be repeated; the same areas have to be returned to for what often equates to a 30Enjoyable enough to be worth a look if you are a Zelda fan (as I am), but has a deliberate, heavy handed feel that can get tedious. There are very few mysteries or puzzles to actually "solve", as everything is spelled out...often literally... multiple times. As others have noted, the same battles have to be repeated; the same areas have to be returned to for what often equates to a 30 second - 1 minute "quest"; and at this point I could probably recite the description of every treasure in my sleep. (If every other aspect of gameplay can be saved at a save point, why can't the fact that I've seen a banal item description- and don't need to be reminded that "it can be found anywhere" or "it is very rare" - be noted!?) Controls worked fine for me; in fact, if it weren't for the involvement of physical activity, I don't think I would have kept playing. Graphics are ok; hated them at first but they grew on me. Still prefer any other Zelda title's style though. Overall, I much prefer the Zelda titles for the NES, SNES, N64 and Cube, all of which retained a level of challenge and rewarding puzzle solving that SS is lacking. In a slight throwback way, the feeling of going back to the same places over and over again in SS is reminiscent of having to start all the way back at the beginning in the original Zelda titles... but in a somehow even more irritating way. Expand
  84. Apr 26, 2012
    Bar none, this is one of the greatest zelda titles that I have ever had the privilege to play. The controls allow for an incredibly sense of immersion and dungeons are well designed and lengthy. This is a great game and a worthy zelda title.
  85. May 28, 2012
    Not quite the masterpiece everyone claims it is, but an excellent entry in the series. Uses the Wii's limited hardware to put forth the best looking game possible that controls the way the Wii should in the first place. 40+ hours of solid, interesting gameplay, side quests and intelligent dungeon designs. A definite purchase if you're a fan of the series.
  86. Mar 13, 2012
    This game is epic! Great story, amazing gameplay and the graphics are the best you can find on the wii. The controller sometimes might be a pain in the ass but ignoring that, this is a masterpiece!!! Totally worth your money!
  87. Mar 15, 2012
    Bought this on the strength of reviews. Good game- but not great. No exploration, a single town, lots of padding.. it felt like the game was sending me on fetch quests 'just because', and the storyline was really weak. The controls were good and accurate, but laggy, which often caused frustration and in the end I couldn't be bothered, and flailing worked just as often as being preciseBought this on the strength of reviews. Good game- but not great. No exploration, a single town, lots of padding.. it felt like the game was sending me on fetch quests 'just because', and the storyline was really weak. The controls were good and accurate, but laggy, which often caused frustration and in the end I couldn't be bothered, and flailing worked just as often as being precise did.

And Fi, the games 'Navi', is super annoying, blocking gamplay to reiterate what you have just been told/discovered. Overall, my least favourite Zelda game, and the only one that has had me bored and begging for it to finish.
  88. Mar 16, 2012
    The only reason I'm writing this is because I just beat Skyward Sword and now I need to vent about the game... I was hoping to feel a sense of urgency or seriousness about the game like in the older Zelda games, but didn't feel like that was the case at all. Instead I felt more of a sense of awkwardness. The music was also awkwardly annoying throughout most of the game. The theme songThe only reason I'm writing this is because I just beat Skyward Sword and now I need to vent about the game... I was hoping to feel a sense of urgency or seriousness about the game like in the older Zelda games, but didn't feel like that was the case at all. Instead I felt more of a sense of awkwardness. The music was also awkwardly annoying throughout most of the game. The theme song to the game was the only exception. There were a number of other awkward parts in the game, but those were the two main disappointments about the game. The things I did enjoy was the use of the wii remote. Felt like it added a lot more to the gameplay. I also liked the actual story line and how it goes into more detail about how Link, Zelda, and Girham (or however you spell his name) are tied together.

Anyways, besides Mario Kart, Zelda is the only game I'm still hooked on from my childhood. I'll just have to give up on the new Zelda games and stick with Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time if I ever get the urge to play Zelda again!
  89. Mar 16, 2012
    I loved this game!!! Its use of the Wii motion plus controller fits, and i feel that it certainly lives up to the long legacy before it. In fact, i found the improvements quite satisfying, because instead of simply whacking your enemy as in old games, you are supposed to strategize where, when, and how to hit your enemy to find their weakness. Many enemies even fight off your attacks byI loved this game!!! Its use of the Wii motion plus controller fits, and i feel that it certainly lives up to the long legacy before it. In fact, i found the improvements quite satisfying, because instead of simply whacking your enemy as in old games, you are supposed to strategize where, when, and how to hit your enemy to find their weakness. Many enemies even fight off your attacks by being able to anticipate your next strike and defend against it, causing the game to be far more engrossing than many of its predecessors. This game does, however, take TIME to complete, though you will seldom be board due to a nice number of side quests. The only reason it did not score a perfect 10 with me is because it is slightly repetitive, but all in all the many places to explore were spell bounding, and did not reek of the same desperate darkness found in twilight princess. For me, this game can even be in the running with Ocarina of time (yes, i went there.) and certainly stands above all earlier Zelda games when it comes to animation. I recommend this game to ANY Zelda lover, or any gamer at all who is looking for a fantastic purchase. Expand
  90. Mar 18, 2012
    This game is missing so much of the magic I've com to expect from Zelda games...theres none of the exploration, freedom, characters or emotion I found with Ocarina of Time and the others. I'm a fair way through and I have yet to get that "Zelda feeling". Obviously I wasn't expecting Skyrim with triforces but everything just feels dumbed down and simplified...all apart from the controls,This game is missing so much of the magic I've com to expect from Zelda games...theres none of the exploration, freedom, characters or emotion I found with Ocarina of Time and the others. I'm a fair way through and I have yet to get that "Zelda feeling". Obviously I wasn't expecting Skyrim with triforces but everything just feels dumbed down and simplified...all apart from the controls, which are just a mess. Really wish I'd just kept Zelda as a memory...Ocarina of Time is still the best game ever, not even this can spoil that. Expand
  91. Mar 20, 2012
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is an absolute masterpiece from beginning to end.Just beat the game a 100%, and can now safely say that this game is a true masterpiece.
  92. Mar 25, 2012
    I played the game almost all the way through, but unfortunately I got so frustrated that I gave up. Game itself is OK, although nowhere near as captivating as it's predecessors. There was "too much of the same" all the way through and it failed to match the magic previous games had. Unfortunately it did not have as many towns to visit as previous ones, sky island was too small for myI played the game almost all the way through, but unfortunately I got so frustrated that I gave up. Game itself is OK, although nowhere near as captivating as it's predecessors. There was "too much of the same" all the way through and it failed to match the magic previous games had. Unfortunately it did not have as many towns to visit as previous ones, sky island was too small for my liking and the story got me tired. That enemy guy looked more like something from DBZ than a villain that belongs to the Zelda Universe. I got to the Sand Ship boss and my wiimote and nunchuk did everything they could to sour my experience.
    All the way through the game I found controls tedious at the best and they ruined many a fun moment for me.
    I think they tried too hard to push for the wiimote functionality that they screwed the controls up that the game was no fun to play at all. Bloody thing got de-calibrated so often that I spent ages just adjusting it.
    It was not that much of a problem in low intense areas but with that sand ship boss the experience became unbearable. You are switching from the sword to the bow and arrows, have barely a few seconds to shoot him, and your screen starts spinning like a **** you are desperately trying to calibrate it, and the chance of shooting him is gone and what is worse, because you are in the first person mode, you get disoriented and get pummeled in the end. It is really annoying when you know exactly what to do, but the game flaws your attempts. Eventually I got it done, but then asked myself if it was worth it, decided it felt more like a waste of time than fun it should be and gave up on the game all together.
    And I blame Nintendo for it. So here you go have your 5 ( I wanted to do zero, but I could not justify it to myself) And if it was not a Zelda game I would probably give it 7 but after decades of setting the bar so high they have to be marked on their own merits.
  93. Mar 22, 2012
    the best game of zelda since ocarina and one of the best for the nintendo wii in also one of the best in ten years andd one of the best in my life dont care about the trolls that say this game ios bad they are obvious fanboys ofother platforms an obiously they havent play the game yet so give it a try if you have a wii you deserve it one of the best games of 2011 and ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  94. Mar 23, 2012
    Perfect, beautiful art direction. The music was amazing, and the controls were tight (once you got used to them). This game beat out ALTTP as my fav Zelda game of all time, and that means something. Good job Nintendo! This, is why I love you guys. :)
  95. Mar 24, 2012
    This game is a true masterpiece in every sense of the word. The graphics look amazing, the controls are amazing, the world is amazing. Everything is done almost flawlessly. The controls match you every movement and works very well. The world is very compact in this entry with only four main areas to explore, if you count Skyloft as an area. Within these areas though, There is plenty ofThis game is a true masterpiece in every sense of the word. The graphics look amazing, the controls are amazing, the world is amazing. Everything is done almost flawlessly. The controls match you every movement and works very well. The world is very compact in this entry with only four main areas to explore, if you count Skyloft as an area. Within these areas though, There is plenty of ideas packed into these few areas. The start does start out a bit slow, but it's worth it. This game has some of the best dungeons the series has ever seen. There are only seven main dungeons this time around but this is an example of quality over quantity. The area you explore before the dungeons also has some puzzle solving and battle elements as well. The sky is a pretty empty area though. There are goddess cube chests which correspond with other cubes on the surface of the world. These includes items but it isn't enough in the large sky in Zelda. There is a wealth of side quests to be had in this adventure with most involving a strange vampire person named Batreaux and getting gratitude crystals. This entire adventure will take you a good fifty hours including all the side quests. This is a must own title for anyone who calls themselves a gamer. Expand
  96. Mar 25, 2012
    It's Zelda, so of course it's great. But what I wasn't expecting was how much fun it was to learn how to sword fight. For the first time in years, I felt there was a learning curve I had to master. Battles were difficult in the beginning until I gained skill and finesse with the sword. The other highlight is the art style. The Wii can't compete with HD, so instead they opted forIt's Zelda, so of course it's great. But what I wasn't expecting was how much fun it was to learn how to sword fight. For the first time in years, I felt there was a learning curve I had to master. Battles were difficult in the beginning until I gained skill and finesse with the sword. The other highlight is the art style. The Wii can't compete with HD, so instead they opted for creativity. The impressionistic paint style is so pretty, I felt like the real world looked boring in comparison every time I stopped playing. The story is interesting and feels a little less generic and archetypal than some in this series. Expand
  97. Mar 28, 2012
    it has best gameplay controls and its the best game ever. super mario galaxy 2 can not compare. better than ocarina of time. I WOULD recomend this game. a masterpiece
  98. Apr 4, 2012
    this episode is not comparable thilight princess, for me it is not so impressionnant.Je think the Wii has reached its limits with this new episode charts. In addition some features were not interacted Link does not enough with its environment. But it's still a good game to discover in the wii console.
  99. Apr 6, 2012
    The controls are AWESOME!!! I've never felt such immersion into a game because of this. BUT, without the controls how does the game hold up? One of the best Zelda games there are. Up there (or perhaps surpassing) OOT and Twilight Princess.
  100. Apr 8, 2012
    Worst game ever. Why the fu** do you have to fight that fu**ing black monster 3 times... first time "i really did not like that" second time " I fu**ing hate Nintendo" third time i stood up, took the game out went to the street, put it in the street, and ate popcorn as i watched it get run over by a car. I stopped the car and gave the driver 20$. I Hate Nintendo. They ruined the one game IWorst game ever. Why the fu** do you have to fight that fu**ing black monster 3 times... first time "i really did not like that" second time " I fu**ing hate Nintendo" third time i stood up, took the game out went to the street, put it in the street, and ate popcorn as i watched it get run over by a car. I stopped the car and gave the driver 20$. I Hate Nintendo. They ruined the one game I was addicted to. If your addicted to LoZ play this game if you want to get over it, if you don't well its to late for me. Expand

1. Feb 6, 2012
    Overall, this is the best experience I've had playing a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time and I'd have to say they are pretty equal in my opinion. Either way, you won't be disappointed getting this game, it's a masterpiece.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 19, 2012
    New Zelda is the best game of whole series since the groundbreaking Ocarina of Time. It is a true masterpiece with uncompromising playability. [Christmas 2011]
  3. Jan 19, 2012
    A magnificent homage for the 25th anniversary of one the biggest franchises in gaming, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword provides a compelling gaming and artistic showcase for the indefatigable potential of the medium as a whole, and a reason to have gaming as a hobby.