Games Master UKIt's not a port, it's not by Nintendo, there isn't a minigame in sight and it's absolutely superb. [Jan 2009, p.75]
Nintendo GamerA brilliant, beautiful adventure that takes everything good about Tomb Raider and polishes it. One of the Wii gmaes of the year. [Jan 2009, p.54]
Awards & Rankings
#74 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2008
#36 Most Shared Wii Game of 2008
Mixed or average reviews- based on 20 Ratings
Feb 22, 2016At first I was like, is this a joke? Somebody pinch me. Takes some time getting used to how bUZZ mONKEY mutilated the game. They should burnAt first I was like, is this a joke? Somebody pinch me. Takes some time getting used to how bUZZ mONKEY mutilated the game. They should burn in hell for releasing this abomination. If that's their best then they should consider changing their profession, while this game should have never seen the light of day. I'm writing it with a heavy heart, as I was being very enthusiastic about it after the superb Anniversary. Nothing wrong with dumbed down graphics if the gameplay is retained. But no, it's too much to ask, so it seems. To the chase, though, let me present a list of what is missing and what is wrong with this game:
- no melee combat, personally I wouldn't mind so much if gunfight were decent, guess what - it's not
- smaller and simplified levels
- fewer, and I mean FEWER enemies, as easy to beat as ABC, no rats nor bats to shoot
- all the powerful guns available from the start, you no longer have to search for them which takes away the challenge
- if it wasn't enough that killing NPCs with plain pistols takes a few seconds, ammo is infinite
- self-regenerating health, meaning no first-aid kits and caution as to where you jump, how you fight
- inconveniently scattered save points, sometimes before long empty corridors which you have to run through before any action takes place, on top of that Lara can't sprint, imagine how boring it must be
- game breaking bugs such as the game hard crashing sometimes when you die, which means you have to reset your console and pick up where you left off, provided you remembered to save your game, if not, then tough sh^t
- simplified puzzles, no timed puzzles where you, for instance, have to quickly run from a lever to a temporarily opened door
- no beating levels against the clock
no relics, hidden carvings etc. to collect, instead you've got these gold bars which replace unique relics and carvings from Anniversary
- WII exclusive features and puzzles are even simpler and less varied than in Anniversary
- terrible framerate, all too frequently
- broken camera angles
- NO CROFT MANSION LEVEL (is it still Tomb Raider?)
On the plus side... who gives a damn about positive aspects if there are so many negative ones that outweigh any bright sides the game might have offered, which anyhow are few and far in between. There's no awe, no sense of accomplishment when you complete a puzzle, no adrenaline, no eyecandy landscapes to behold. You're better off brushing up on the first classic Tomb Raider games on some Playstation 1.
And bUZZ mONKEY - f*ck you for treating WII owners like idiots. This game didn't sell well and it is a testament to your ineptness as game devs.… Full Review »
StanleyWDec 30, 2008I've played a couple Tomb Raiders before on the 360, but I this new TR on the Wii was utterly terrible.
1) Graphics are dumbed downI've played a couple Tomb Raiders before on the 360, but I this new TR on the Wii was utterly terrible.
1) Graphics are dumbed down ridiculously.
2) Puzzles don't make any sense. Especially the first one where you shoot the chain for the kraken?
3) Camera angle changes are terrible. They have sudden changes from afar to 3rd person, and it makes you either leap off a cliff on accident or miss a jump.
I've seen walkthroughs for the other systems like the 360 and PS3. The puzzles and graphics on those systems are so much better.
I think I'm going to try my luck with Anniversary. Underworld was a mess of a game and they took out a whole lot of features the other Tomb Raiders' had. I wouldn't recommend this game unless you like getting irritated.… Full Review »
DarthMarioDec 4, 2008This game could be summed up as less than a quarter the game Legend was on the Gamecube, and less than half the game Anniversary was on theThis game could be summed up as less than a quarter the game Legend was on the Gamecube, and less than half the game Anniversary was on the Wii.
Unlike the previous games, Underworld is plagued with uninspired simple environments, weak puzzles, and virtually no game enemies. Add to that sloppy controls, and removed character moves from the previous games. Less is defiantly not more here.
There is nothing here that hasn… Full Review »