WWII Aces Wii

5.4

1. Sep 2, 2010
    It may not be a standard setting game for graphix but when an 8 year old plays it, the game play is what makes it fun. For me, I got the game cuz I thought my son wouldn't be interested but I was totally surprised. He has been playing it for a week now and so have his friends with the co operative mode. It is a blast. It is simple. It is fun. It was $14 bucks at Best Buy. I think itIt may not be a standard setting game for graphix but when an 8 year old plays it, the game play is what makes it fun. For me, I got the game cuz I thought my son wouldn't be interested but I was totally surprised. He has been playing it for a week now and so have his friends with the co operative mode. It is a blast. It is simple. It is fun. It was $14 bucks at Best Buy. I think it is just fine. I actually do enjoy playing it. Expand
  2. Dec 24, 2011
    I enjoyed this game / simulation for many many hours! I think one needs to be an aviation enthusiast or pilot to enjoy WWII Aces. If you stick with it and learn the basics in Dogfight mode, it will help a lot.

Note the "lead time" on shooting a moving target is critical, especially in the X axis (left-right). Note that your cross-hairs turn red only after a bullet hits the enemy, indicating that you're in the correct bank and/or rudder input.

Utilizing the following two tips helped a ton. Tip #1: there are 3 "control schemes" from which to choose. I found number two to be good, thus utilizing the nunchuk for everything (except the A button to switch between bombs and missiles, later in the campaigns). Tip #2: for beginner to intermediate play, I found a large rubber band to be helpful in holding the B button. You see, there are 2 speeds of game play. The default one is at least DOUBLE real-world. Holding the B button reduces it to what seems to be a bit slower than real-world (being a pilot, I know approximately how these planes should respond.) I guess they figured hard-core gamers would be quickly bored by the slow (real-world) speed.

As for the V symbols pointing to primary and secondary targets, the choice of two colors was a great idea. Too bad they are red and dark red. Yellow would have been better. Watch them carefully. The program Loop and Roll maneuvers were worthless to me because you can't modify it mid-stream or do an Immelmann. But you can out-turn the enemy most of the time using bank and rudder. Last note: reading the instruction booklet helped. There are a couple of useful items in there.

1. Nintendo Power
    Yet more proof that slapping motion controls on a lousy game doesn't magically make it worthwhile. [Mar 2008, p.87]
  2. Play Magazine
    The levels are unorganized, ugly, and totally unsatisfying. [Apr 2008, p.60]
  3. WWII Aces is a decent title that is meant to be played cooperatively. So long as you have another friend close by, the $40 shouldn't sting your wallet too much.