8.7

1. Apr 27, 2013
    I can't believe this game got so many good reviews. I gave it a good 15 hours and I was very disappointed in the "EPIC, AMAZING, AWESOME JRPG". It's total trash. The battle system is excruciatingly boring and dumb. It's the same thing over and over and over. If I wanted a mindless button masher, I would have played God of War. The AI is useless. The quests are boring and dumb. The game...is boring and dumb. Maybe I just hate action rpg's but I just don't see it. It's mind blowing. I gave it a 3 for the soundtrack. Expand
  2. Nov 30, 2013
    Bear with me, as this review will be completely opposite to popular opinion. So I bought this game from the gamestop 40 dollar pre-owned black friday deal, and I was stoked as I could finally get this game cheap..this rare game that was praised so much.
    So I buy it and I play it. The introduction seemed pretty cool: these two robots face off against each other and the humans (or homs or
    whatever) try to fight off the little robots with this badass sword. That's all fine and dandy. Instantly once the gameplay begins, I start to doubt the game. First off, WHY IS THERE A JUMP FEATURE? The jump only goes horizontally and has absolutely no vertical height whatsoever..so what's the point? Second, the combat seemed awful. All you're doing is pushing the d-pad left and right and pressing A..that's it. Your character automatically attacks the opponent while you just walk around and toggle the sword icons. I figured, fine, maybe there are more mechanics later on. And no surprise there were. However, these mechanics just came off as dull and uninteresting. The triple attack (where the gauge is three bars full) has got to be the dullest thing I've seen. It's literally just the characters attacking with a regular sword swing against the enemy while the enemy can't move..just one enemy..this can't be done with more than one. There's no epic combo with the three or anything, just three separate sword swings...really worth those three bars....
    Not only that, but when you fight the enemy, the characters DONT SHUT THE UP! They keep giving these cheering speeches nonstop throughout the fight. And you can't turn this off, either. So whenever you engage in battle you constantly hear those annoying speeches. Really prevents you from wanting to battle an enemy, really. The ally AI is also complete bullocks as they die so easily while barely doing any damage to the enemy. And when they do die, you have to revive them only if your team gague is one bar full..and only about 1/6th of their health is revived, as well..making it pointless as the enemy could just do another attack and the teammates a goner. And why does the person need to be "motivated" to fight again after they've lost? Really, game? Does any other JRPG do that?
    The game also heavily focuses on grinding. It's a JRPG, I get it, but without grinding the out of your characters, you won't be winning some of those battles. Luckily the game is forgiving in the sense that when you die, you respawn before the battle, so the need to do everything over again is not there.
    Also is it just me, or is it irritating that you can't go inside buildings unless the door is fully open in a JRPG? I mean in every other JRPG, you can go in any house and talk to the folks inside. What's the deal with Xenoblade?
    The characters themselves seem so one-dimensional...maybe it's because I haven't gotten past 2 and a half hours of the game, but they're just...boring. Shulk is just the "I want to beat them and get revenge" Reyn is the "I'm a smug and I'm kind of a clutz" while FIona is the "OMG I care for you guys so much, don't hurt yourselves." And it's obvious from the get-go that Fiona and Shulk are love interests...they really force that. The townsfolk have nothing interesting to say either...and while I haven't done the sidequests yet, I've heard they're chores rather than actual quests.
    The number of tutorials also irks me. I think you can turn it off, but for first-timers, these tutorials are necessary. It's just, there's way too many, and the way the tutorials work is also annoying. Games need to take notes from the 90's and allow the player to teach him/herself the game through the gameplay rather than use 3 paragraph texts for each new mechanic.
    The graphics also make me cringe. For a game that's extremely long and has such a huge world to explore, why are the graphics equivalent to a PS1 title? I know it's the Wii, but the console can do much more.

You know a game isn't going to be enjoyable when all these flaws are apparent in just the first two and half hours of the game. First impressions are everything, and if you can't woo the player in within the first two and a half hours, then you're really doing something wrong. I just don't see how I could enjoy this game if my opinion on it are this bad already.
    There are some good things though: I love the music to this game..my god is the music fantastic. In fact I'm listening to the OST as I'm typing this review. It's just beautiful. I also love the voice acting; great job on the actors' part. I also think that the story has some promise as some of the cutscenes intrigued me (although the amount of cutscenes (too many) is another problem I have with this game.) But as far as positives go, that's all I can say, really. Not a positive review, but hey it's an opinion.
    I did go back and trade this for the Metroid Prime Trilogy, which I gotta say is amazing.
  3. Nov 20, 2012
    A strikingly mediocre attempt at Final Fantasy XII.

Sure, the story's flashy, but if you truly appreciate character customization, detailed equipment, and RPG-immersion, this is not the game for you. Expect no diversity of character or game-play; there are no "professions", absolutely no "magics" or "techniques" worth mentioning, and don't even think you will get to focus your
    characters strengths -- everything, including the "skills", is preset. It's reception baffles me. Have RPG-s really been this diluted? If you're 12 years old, though, the repetitive, simplistic tools that they give you to achieve a goal might be enough to immerse you. Expand
  4. Sep 19, 2013
    Xenoblade has to be the most underrated piece of video game ever made I paid $60 for this piece of garbage firstly lets talk about the story because its just boring and also just 100% predictable the gameplay is no better the combat system is bull**** its just real time combat where you press left or right on the d-pad to switch attacks also the game is extremely forgiving once you die you just start at a check point and the graphics are rubbish even for a wii game now the locations are gorgeous shame the developers vomit all over the locations the music is perfect fits the atmosphere and is just entertaining and just plain awesome also the characters are just boring Final Fantasy 13-2 Tifa sluts I'd skip this game because of the extremely high price Expand
  5. Jun 14, 2012
    It was OK. The gameplay is good: it has good voice acting, good battle system, the environments are nice and the soundtrack is great. Where the game completely drops the ball is the plot, and for an RPG that is a bad place to fail. The story is painfully cliched and overdone at worst and just plain boring at best. "Scenes," which are long and plenty, consist of spouting cheesy one-liners and talking over and over about nothing. The characters range from completely insufferable to boring to OK, the worst being the main lead Shulk, who is every annoying JRPG trope squished into one bland cliched package. Expand
  6. Jul 27, 2014
    this overrated tittle... The story isn't any special to me , good music , good graphic but worst fighting system in this kind of game ... it isn't worst game i ever played , but it just disappointed me because the game play really somehow boring and isn't fun to me

1. May 24, 2012
    Xenoblade may not be the greatest JRPG ever, but it's certainly one of the best games on the Nintendo Wii.
  2. Apr 19, 2012
    There's a lot more to recommend Xenoblade Chronicles. The dialogue, the humor, the artwork, the prophecy system, the music, the variety of environments, the character progression, the crafting system, the crazy quest density, the quest quality, the memorable characters, the collectibles, the secrets, and so on. This is a landmark achievement in the genre. As of its release, you can no longer talk about great RPGs, or maybe even great games, without also talking about Xenoblade Chronicles.
  3. Apr 12, 2012
    Xenoblade Chronicles is the sort of precious jRPG that this recent console generation has sorely lacked. Despite some missteps and over-complication, the game stands out as one of the best in recent years. Xenoblade creates a world simply begging to be explored.