9.0

1. Dec 16, 2017
    Gameplay 8/10 has no major problems but not all the side quests are great and sometimes exploration is boring
    Graphics 7/10 for a Wii game in 2011 it's decent but would've been better on a different console
    Story 10/10 Just great
    Music 10/10 best video game soundtrack
    Battles 10/10
  2. Nov 9, 2017
    Xenoblade Chronicles is simply put as one of the best JRPGs to ever grace the planet. It might seem held back by the Wii's limited hardware, but it truly succeeds at creating an environment and cast of characters that push you onward, not to mention the superb score and overarching storyline. There is little flaw to be found in Takahashi's best work.
  3. Oct 24, 2017
    Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii is a fantastic game. Not only thinking by a game of it's gigantic scope on the Wii but by itself.
    Talking about the Wii, is surreal to think that Xeno is a game that runs well. The amount of grass rendered e the scope of all of the areas in the game would put most developers at their knees to make the game run at stable 30fps on the wii's hardware, but Monolith without a doubt nailed it.
    The gameplay is a different and fun alternative to your average turn based JRPG, each character has it's own set abilities (from offensive ones, supportive, defensive etc.), paired with an auto attack that rolls every time, while you can move to distance from enemies, or difficult their chances of hitting you. This system gives you a way more intense gameplay and creates a deck of strategies and different ways to play the game. Although, the combat has some flaws: The animations are kinda poor, bottlenecking the complexity and hurting the combat and the level up system is way tougher than it should have been.
    The story really flashes out on this game. At start, it looks a pretty generic two kingdoms, human vs. machine plot. But, trust me, it violently develops. Going on topics like religion, races, society and spiritualism. Since a really big spoiler happens at the first hour, i won't go further than this.
    The level/world design is a wonder. Not only because of the titan's corpses that hosts all of the game, but the vivids civilizations and wildlife that fulfills the world, with a big variety and diferences between npc's, enemies or villagers.
    The visual part is a tough one. The beautiful models and details, are bottlenecked by the Wii's pathetic hardware. And the secondary cutscenes are really low quality. So, play on Dolphin instead.
    The audio is neat. Not spectacular, but does it's job.
    The OST, MY BOY. One of the finest pieces of music on gaming history. With a big array of instruments, genres, tracks and rhythms, is the strongest point of the game.
    A true masterpiece of the Wii, kinda thrown back by the console's weak hardware. Luckily, Dolphin exists. So you can enjoy the game at it's full potential.
  4. Oct 24, 2017
    An amazing technical and creative achievement for the Wii. This game will blow your mind with its grand scale. Easily a candidate for one of the best JRPGs of all time! This game deserves an award for the music alone. Huge levels, interesting characters, over 450 quests, and at least 60+ hours of main story gameplay packed in this sucker.
  5. Oct 11, 2017
    One of the best stories to any jrpg type game I've ever played, and definitely one of the most unique battle mechanics. I think this was a super underrated game for a long time (though it's hard to say that now that its achieved such a prestigious cult status). Definitely one of the classic Wii JRPGs, although my only major qualm is that it had a bit too much grinding and a bit too manyOne of the best stories to any jrpg type game I've ever played, and definitely one of the most unique battle mechanics. I think this was a super underrated game for a long time (though it's hard to say that now that its achieved such a prestigious cult status). Definitely one of the classic Wii JRPGs, although my only major qualm is that it had a bit too much grinding and a bit too many fetch quests. Expand
  6. Oct 8, 2017
    the game in which I have invested more time. In some battles the fps lower what makes it lose quality ... anyway it is one of the best rpg I have played
  7. Oct 3, 2017
    During the last days of the Nintendo Wii, it became more difficult for me to find games as remarkable as its first releases. It would only be right for Nintendo to end the Wii’s career on a high note. Xenoblade Chronicles did just that. It’s a JRPG that gave me one of my greatest experiences I have ever had playing a video game. When it comes to the story, graphics, and game play,During the last days of the Nintendo Wii, it became more difficult for me to find games as remarkable as its first releases. It would only be right for Nintendo to end the Wii’s career on a high note. Xenoblade Chronicles did just that. It’s a JRPG that gave me one of my greatest experiences I have ever had playing a video game. When it comes to the story, graphics, and game play, Xenoblade Chronicles exceeded my expectations.
    The story of this fantasy and sci-fi hybrid game revolves around the legend of a duel between titans. They were Mechonis and Bionis. After this battle ended, civilizations were made on the bodies of these titans. However, the individuals from both titans still continue to battle each other to continue the legacy. Fast forward to current day and we meet the main protagonist, Shulk. When his homeland is attack by mechon, the inhabitants of Mechonis, the orphaned boy is forced to travel to Mechonis and into the unknown outreaches of enemy territory. In order to defeat his robotic foes, Shulk is granted the use of the legendary sword, the Monado, which bestows upon him the unusual power to see visions of the future. As Shulk progresses through his quest, he meets new allies, discovers extravagant locations of the world, and is given more insight on the origins of the Monado, and the history of Bionis and Mechonis. This game provided an enjoyable cast, memorable moments that were action packed, tragic, and humorous, and plot twists in the game that became even more interesting the more I progressed. The best part is the game is long enough where it does not shirk on any details.
    Speaking of how long Xenoblade Chronicles is, it surprised me with how much was fit into the game. This includes the expansive environment that it had to offer. The details of the graphics are unbelievable when it comes to how much a Wii can handle. Unlike a good handful of Nintendo games, Xenoblade Chronicles strays away from a cartoony style and handles it with a more realistic approach. I found so much excitement out of exploring the game just so I could find different places to look at. Notable examples are the Satorl Marsh on Bionis, a foggy but shimmering swamp with ancient ruins, and the central factory in Mechonis, the expansive field of massive machinery. Compared to other games on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, I noticed the graphics are not as polished. The closer I looked, the more pixilated the graphics began to appear. This over-analysis, however, did not deter my fun experience. I still consider it remarkable how much effort was given into making this detailed creation.
    I mentioned how multi-dimensional the game can be when it came to the graphics, but the game play is really where the game’s expansive nature is found. The basics are simple. You control up to three characters in game. As you progress, you can switch off these characters with others in your party. There are locations to travel to and people to talk to in order to progress. This can involve widespread exploration and puzzle solving. I did find it confusing on where to travel to since the environment is rather massive. With the game being so big, it is difficult to find where to go. The real aspect of the game play, however, is found in its battles. I found myself changing my methods of battle not only for the sake of progression, but also for the fun in the variety it offered. It only became an even greater experience when I realized there were so many ways to expand my many abilities such as raising affinity, changing my move set, and challenging harder monsters. If this already sounds like enough game play, then you will be surprised with how much more this game offers. There are over 400 side quests to tackle, offering new abilities and stories in game. I quickly found it overwhelming at times when it comes to how big the game can really be. I am an impatient person, but knowing that a lot can come out of the extra time given in the game, it was fun to get as far as I could. The only other problem I had with the game play is some sign of lagging when there is a lot of activity happening in battles. Battling a lot, however, helped me get used to it. I aim to play through this game again to see if I can fully complete the game. If you ever missed anything the first time you played like I did, then there is a lot of value in replaying this game.
    While Xenoblade Chronicles may have its problems being a large game with its lag and unpolished graphics, they are so small compared to the praise I have. This game went above and beyond my expectations with its compelling story, incredible environment, and variety in game play. There is so much this game has to offer without becoming repetitive. I give this game an A.
  8. Sep 19, 2017
    The story here was very good, and I became very attached to some of the characters. I think the strongest aspect here is the story followed closely by the unique environments and enemies within. Admittedly, it was a slow start for me, I didn't fully appreciate the scope of the game until I got to bionis' knee. I think the scene of the mechonis really hit hard the real scope of the game andThe story here was very good, and I became very attached to some of the characters. I think the strongest aspect here is the story followed closely by the unique environments and enemies within. Admittedly, it was a slow start for me, I didn't fully appreciate the scope of the game until I got to bionis' knee. I think the scene of the mechonis really hit hard the real scope of the game and shows the epic world you're about to explore. There are alot of cutscenes in this game, something expected in a jrpg and one i fully appreciate in games, but the combat can be a bit grindy at times. I gave this "perfect" game a 9 mostly because I didn't play this game until 2016. The graphics are awful compared to most other games, and because of the grindy bits. Expand
  9. Sep 6, 2017
    This game gives a real sense of adventure that was lost from the old JRPGs of the SNES-PS1 era but at the same time it throws away al the archaic conventionalisms that could drive away other players new to this sub-genre. The characters models are really low poly even for a Wii game and the textures are a little bit blurry but all that compensates for an incredible art direction andThis game gives a real sense of adventure that was lost from the old JRPGs of the SNES-PS1 era but at the same time it throws away al the archaic conventionalisms that could drive away other players new to this sub-genre. The characters models are really low poly even for a Wii game and the textures are a little bit blurry but all that compensates for an incredible art direction and gigantic and beautiful scenarios, the sacrifices made to run this massive game on what is basically is a 2001 console hardware is amazing.

Except for the final part that might feel a little bit rushed the conclusion is still satisfactory with no open ending or cliffhanger.

This is the JRPG that revived the genre and definitely worth a chance.
  10. May 20, 2017
    A masterpiece, an absolute gem on a console that isn't the most powerful. It is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played and it feels massive.
  11. Apr 27, 2017
    Mi segundo videojuego favorito, trama y mapas que no encontraras en ningun otro lado, drama, jugabilidad, mundo abierto, sorpresas, detalles, las mejores misiones secundarias, monolisofth me gano completamente con este juego
  12. Apr 17, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If the most important aspect about video games was story, then this would be the greatest game of all time. Xenoblade Chronicles has a story that absolutely blew me away with how amazingly well-crafted and put together it was, and each and every plot twist in within the story absolutely shocked me. For example, finding out that Fiora was still alive was probably the most shocking moment I have ever seen in a video game and Dickson's betrayal completely caught me off guard as well. This game's narrative does span over around 60 hours, which may seem a bit overkill, but not with this game, as it is a narrative that is 100% complete from beginning to end. Ok, enough about the story, lets talk about the rest of the game. As far as gameplay goes, this game has a very intuitive and enjoyable battle system that is highly customizable and really gives the player room to build a team based around whatever aspects they desire, whether it be to build an all-around team, a team based solely strength or one on defense, all the options are there for the player. Also, the world of Xenoblade looks amazing and has some of the most breathtaking locations I've ever witnessed before. Want proof? Just look at Satorl Marsh and Valak Mountain. With all these locations comes a huge amount of content to delve into, as there are literally hundreds of side quests to explore, ranging from simple fetch quests to rebuilding an entire colony from the ground up. Finally, lets talk about the characters. This game has some of the best characters in any video game, such as the protagonist Shulk, Fiora, one of the game's main villains Egil, and the heropon Riki. However, not every character in this game is likable, as there are two that I absolutely despise, those being Mumkhar and Lorithia, but I digress. In conclusion, Xenoblade Chronicles is an absolute masterpiece of a game with the best story I've ever had the pleasure of playing through and one of the greatest experiences I've had with a game. Expand
  13. Apr 11, 2017
    Uno de los mejores juegos de mi vida, increible la historia, brutal. Luego el sistema de equipamiento es algo lioso, muchas armaduras y armas, quizas lo que mas echo en falta es algun tipo de loot como en juegos tal que diablo 2 o algo asi, loot legndario muy raros.

A parte de eso el mundo grande muchos enemigos y metodo de combate muy entretenido y no se que mas añadir, todo increible, merece la pena jugarlo
  14. Mar 11, 2017
    This is possibly and currently my favorite RPG of all time because of how the characters, story, lore and gameplay led me to an epic adventure that that world deserved. Honestly amazing how it could look like an MMO at its time but was actually a single player experience. Although the graphics were not as technology amazing as its competition, it never deterred me from finishing every sideThis is possibly and currently my favorite RPG of all time because of how the characters, story, lore and gameplay led me to an epic adventure that that world deserved. Honestly amazing how it could look like an MMO at its time but was actually a single player experience. Although the graphics were not as technology amazing as its competition, it never deterred me from finishing every side quest, collecting every collectibles and finishing maps by discovering surroundings I never would have thought to venture. I easily spent 180 hours on first run and I'll gladly spent another just to experience this game again Expand
  15. Mar 3, 2017
    Masterpiece! I look forward to the second part. I hope that the sequel will not fail, and will be at the level of the first part. At the moment, Nintendo wins even Microsoft.
  16. Feb 10, 2017
    I could go on for hours mentioning everything that this game did right and why its perfect but forget about that.
    Just GO PLAY and see for yourself. Thank me later.
  17. Jan 15, 2017
    As close to a perfect game in my mind as is possible, this game is something truly special! The story is something special and original, it is truly fantastic. Even the world itself is something I have never seen done in a game, you have to play to understand why. Graphically some textures are muddy, but this is easily forgiven when you see the massive beautiful world. The gameplayAs close to a perfect game in my mind as is possible, this game is something truly special! The story is something special and original, it is truly fantastic. Even the world itself is something I have never seen done in a game, you have to play to understand why. Graphically some textures are muddy, but this is easily forgiven when you see the massive beautiful world. The gameplay itself consists of many different evolving mechanics that are always building and complimenting on each other. This game is quite anime to an extent, so if that is a turn off for you, I can't promise the same enjoyment. Overall I can't praise this game enough, while it is not my favorite game, it is a near perfect game, and it is worth picking up for sure! Expand
  18. Nov 15, 2016
    I have not played the game, But this is why im rating it a ten:

"IM REALLY FEELING IT" - A super smash bros nerd

So yea, Other then that. The graphics are decent at best. The game looks fun doh.
  19. Sep 27, 2016
    This game is pretty much perfection, and is easily the best game I have ever played. The soundtrack is godlike and the story is both compelling and emotional.Despite what others have said, I found that the graphics were actually fine, and certainly never got in the way of the gameplay. The game also has good length, spreading across several massive environments that you are free toThis game is pretty much perfection, and is easily the best game I have ever played. The soundtrack is godlike and the story is both compelling and emotional.Despite what others have said, I found that the graphics were actually fine, and certainly never got in the way of the gameplay. The game also has good length, spreading across several massive environments that you are free to explore, and has over 400 sidequests to expand it further - I spent 150 hours playing on one file and still didn't finish everything. The combat is fun and strategic, although it can take a while to get used to, but there are huge numbers of different ways to play by changing your team and player unit, which can give you good variety and keeps the combat fresh throughout the game. The characters are well-written and well-voiced; I never found any of them annoying.
    I honestly can't think of one thing I don't like about Xenoblade. It really is pretty much a perfect game, and one that you need to play if you haven't already.

Rating: 10.0
  20. Sep 22, 2016
    This is the best JRPG of the 7th generation. There is no doubt of this. It has some minors flaws. But I gave it a 10 because a merely 9 is not enough. I dont want to write a long review (its late in my house) so Im gonna say one sentence: If you miss the JRPGs from the 90s and first years of 00s this is a perfect opportunity to remember them.
  21. Sep 2, 2016
    Not only is this game the best RPG I have ever played, but it is overall the best game I have ever played. It features an expansive world, a long storyline with many plot twists. The characters are likeable, there are DOZENS of quests and things to do, such as item hunting and raising affinity among party members or within the world itself. And the OST is simply amazing! Definitely aNot only is this game the best RPG I have ever played, but it is overall the best game I have ever played. It features an expansive world, a long storyline with many plot twists. The characters are likeable, there are DOZENS of quests and things to do, such as item hunting and raising affinity among party members or within the world itself. And the OST is simply amazing! Definitely a must-play game! :) Expand
  22. Jun 23, 2016
    Este juego es uno de los mejores que he jugado. Los escenarios estan bien diseñados, los personajes son unicos y carismaticos ,y finalmente la historia, es la mejor. Lo malo que le veo son sus graficos. Es un Buen Juego!!!!!!
  23. Mar 21, 2016
    el mejor jrpg de la historia epicooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  24. Feb 21, 2016
    Xenoblade Chronicles keeps the adventure waiting for you such in a good way that you couldn't even imagine what pops up next. Want something to cheer you up? Buy this game if you still have a Wii.
  25. Feb 4, 2016
    I went into this game with no expectations what so ever, and it has grown on me a lot and is now my favourite game of all time. The only negatives I can come up with are that the tutorials can be a bit hard to understand sometimes. Also, the story is very interesting, so I found myself unable to concentrate on any of the side quests, but that's just because of who I am. I would highlyI went into this game with no expectations what so ever, and it has grown on me a lot and is now my favourite game of all time. The only negatives I can come up with are that the tutorials can be a bit hard to understand sometimes. Also, the story is very interesting, so I found myself unable to concentrate on any of the side quests, but that's just because of who I am. I would highly recommend to check out the side content while playing this game! Expand
  26. Jan 23, 2016
    This game is awesome and it really makes you want to play it, lots of exploration, amazing gameplay, good battle system, the music is phenomenal, nice customization. Overall, the game is just great. Once you play it you can say, "I'M REALLY FEELING IT!!"
  27. Jan 8, 2016
    Xenoblade Chronicles is not only a technical achievement, it is also a landmark for the JRPG genre.

The story has a simple premise that starts out like any other JRPG, but slowly unfolds into one grand 80-hour long adventure with surprising plot twists, clever writing and great character development all across the board. The combat, like the story, is simple. But it gets more

The combat, like the story, is simple. But it gets more intricate when you unlock and find new arts, skills, equipment. It is incredibly simple, yet so damn sophisticated. The difficulty is mostly on point throughout your adventures, with perfectly placed difficulty spikes.

However, with a plethora of monsters to hunt and side quests to do, there is a chance that you might overlevel your characters. Making some of the boss fights a bit too easy.

In terms of graphics, Xenoblade Chronicles is a treat. Yes, it is a Wii title. Yes, it only outputs at 480p. Yes, there is aliasing, low poly models, some blurry character textures and very minor performance issues. But still, it's a treat. The art direction of this game alone can convince gamers into buying this game. The Bionis and Mechonis are two of the most original video game locations/worlds ever. Landscapes that range from huge open fields with tons of wildlife, a town in the cab of the Bionis and a freaking floating sea above a gigantic jungle. I could go on and on about the games' design. Heck, even the skyboxes are some of the most beautiful ones I have ever seen.

The soundtrack?
    Absolutely beautiful. It's varied, dynamic, original, and above all, enjoyable. It is probably the best soundtrack I've ever heard, alongside with NIER and the original Drakengard.

The only flaws I could find with Xenoblade Chronicles was that some extra information in the ending was cut out of the final product that would've rectified a minor flaw in the story. Some of the side quests design are really old school. As in; fetch quest heavy. There are side quests with a good story, build up and original design. E.g. you get to rebuild a place. But others do feel a bit too grindy.

Overall, Xenoblade Chronicles has it all. Fun gameplay, an engaging story, an amazing soundtrack and beautiful graphics. (Yes, even for the Wii)
  28. Dec 18, 2015
    There are so many good things to say about this game, but I could not bring myself to finish the game even after 2 seperate attempts (first one lasted 50 hours, second one lasted 80 hours). Yes, definitely got my money's worth, but as an RPG fan this is the game that I have the most mixed feelings about.
    The game did so many things perfectly. The vast and beautiful world, the outstanding soundtrack, a very engaging combat system, and an overall very intriguing plot. Think of it like Final Fantasy XII, but better executed in all of those areas. If those things are all that you need for a good time, play this game, it's definitely one of the best the JRPG genre can offer.

"So what is your problem with this game?"
    Well, I happen to have exceptionally high standards when it comes to the writing in RPGs. I value good dialogue, character development, and worldbuilding more than anything. A lot of gamers don't even know what the difference between worldbuilding and 'having a big world' is. A beautiful stage play becomes dull when its stage actors are bland. An expansive world feels empty when its residents are shallow. So, the strongest points of the game, over time, became its most glaring flaws in my eyes.

In most shorter, linear RPGs, I have an easier time dismissing boring characters and just speed through the plot and be done with it. I couldn't really do that with Xenoblade Chronicles, for this game, the gamer side of me wanted to explore and quest in this beautiful world, but at the same time it is not at all fulfilling. Almost all side quests are generic Free-to-play MMO style "kill 10 bunnies quest #6" "fetch plant quest #7", and there's just a crap ton of them. These quests would have been great if they actually had context, creating opportunities for character interaction between your party members, or some kind of side story that fleshes out the more intricate details of the world the game takes place in. Town NPCs across the realm of Xenoblade are for the most part, extremely boring and pretty much the only reason to talk to them is because most of them give you quests, and most of the time they're the aforementioned mundane tasks.
    The main characters are dull but I can't blame them, they had pretty awful lines and their actual character interaction / development scenes (which did little to help the matter) are locked behind something called the Affinity system. You gain Affinity between characters in battle, very slowly and it can get grindy and once you meet the required Affinity level between certain members, you have to go to specific spots in the world for these bonus dialogue scenes to trigger, some are well hidden. You also gain Affinity by completing side quests. On top of that, many side quests will not be available until you reach a certain "Town Affinity" which consists of you doing quests that helps the NPCs of the specific towns. Given how I felt towards the game's side quests, this was not a good thing.
    So basically, the cast is extremely shallow and soulless, and to make them less shallow and bland I needed to invest considerable amount of time on bad side quests. This type of design does not mesh well with me.
  29. Nov 26, 2015
    The best JRPG in years!

+ The most unique setting for a game ever, all the areas are beautiful to look at, even on the Wii + Ditches all the typical JRPG tropes that have plagued Final fantasy in recent years + Huge world with lots of things to do in it, + excellent story with likable characters + The battle system is fresh and rewarding + Hours of content + One of the best
    The best JRPG in years!

+ Huge world with lots of things to do in it,
    + excellent story with likable characters
    + The battle system is fresh and rewarding
    + Hours of content
    + One of the best Soundtracks ever (It isnt very often that I leave the main menu on, just to listen to the stunning music)

- Side quests can be repetitive
  30. Oct 17, 2015
    An amazing title, especially for the Wii. I found this several years after its release after hearing good things. First, the game is beautiful despite what some say about them looking outdated. The game world is huge so it's understandable why it might look scaled down. The music is memorable and some tracks will get stuck in your head. Some melodies reminded me of Kingdom Hearts, andAn amazing title, especially for the Wii. I found this several years after its release after hearing good things. First, the game is beautiful despite what some say about them looking outdated. The game world is huge so it's understandable why it might look scaled down. The music is memorable and some tracks will get stuck in your head. Some melodies reminded me of Kingdom Hearts, and after researching it turns out Yoko Shimomura did contribute a bit to the music. I thought the story might end up being a bit cookie cutter but it's not. I should have expected this considering the same storyteller created Xenogears (another classic).

The battle system is engaging and there are enough characters you can play with to keep it interesting. Some of the missions can be repetitive as there are a lot of fetch quests, but fortunately a lot of these do not require you to return to the quest-giver. I was able to develop an affinity myself for all the characters who, by the way, are voice casted quite well imo.

The game goes deeper than expected through using character/town affinity and gem crafting systems. Increasing affinity is what seems to take up most of one's time in the game. My main complaint here is that if you focus of finishing side missions and increasing affinity, you easily end up over-leveling yourself for the story missions and boss fights are less rewarding.

I had an incredible time with my 100+ hours in this gorgeous world. I'd say if one is an RPG fan and happened to miss this gem on the Wii, rectify that situation posthaste!
  31. Sep 27, 2015
    I'm 90 hours into the game and I gotta say it lives up to the hype. The game is gorgeous and the action-packed gameplay is involved enough to not feel repetitive. The main character is obnoxious and the writing is lacking, but I've seen worse and the game gives you a Japanese voice track option for all you Japanophiles. Be warned, however: I think this is the single most complicated gameI'm 90 hours into the game and I gotta say it lives up to the hype. The game is gorgeous and the action-packed gameplay is involved enough to not feel repetitive. The main character is obnoxious and the writing is lacking, but I've seen worse and the game gives you a Japanese voice track option for all you Japanophiles. Be warned, however: I think this is the single most complicated game I've ever played.

And I should mention that if you're the type of gamer who wants to play as one of the female characters and strip her down to her underwear and watch her run around, this game is for you too.
  32. Sep 2, 2015
    A fantastic game, dinamic, action at all times, the best JRPG of this gen history 10/10 , music 10/10, system battle 10/10, the graphics 10/10 on Wii. Maps 10/10.
  33. Jul 22, 2015
    Xenoblade Chronicles is, simply, a work of art. Throughout the story, the player is situated in an awe-inspiring world full of secret landmarks, "alive" NPCs with which the player can interact, and a constantly building, powerful storyline. The battle system starts off with a simple way to introduce a player to using "arts" (abilities/moves), but gets more complex and strategic, as wellXenoblade Chronicles is, simply, a work of art. Throughout the story, the player is situated in an awe-inspiring world full of secret landmarks, "alive" NPCs with which the player can interact, and a constantly building, powerful storyline. The battle system starts off with a simple way to introduce a player to using "arts" (abilities/moves), but gets more complex and strategic, as well as becoming more fun, even when fighting the simple enemies encountered throughout the environment. The quests system is not very well implemented in such an epic JRPG, but, overall, the fantasy world allows the player to accept every quest and automatically reap the rewards for completion, even if one has no idea that they completed a quest, or, it is possible to ignore quests entirely. This freedom of action, plus the amazing story which never slows down combine to make an unbelievably impressive and incredibly fun game, as well as a very fleshed out world for the player to enjoy. Expand
  34. Jul 13, 2015
    After 120 hours of playing the game (+30 for the (pre)-after game), I can conclude that this is one of the most imaginative and creative games I've seen in quite a while. The world this game is set, is just outright thrilling. Just the fact that you're roaming around on a badass-looking giant, standing in a infinite sea, facing his mechanic arch nemesis should already hype you up. TheAfter 120 hours of playing the game (+30 for the (pre)-after game), I can conclude that this is one of the most imaginative and creative games I've seen in quite a while. The world this game is set, is just outright thrilling. Just the fact that you're roaming around on a badass-looking giant, standing in a infinite sea, facing his mechanic arch nemesis should already hype you up. The concept is truly what makes this game. The story, of course, does not fall short mainly because its amazing execution (it gives you dem feels). It is a very "Japanese" story however, like we've seen in many other games like final fantasy and various anime, that is to say that it deals with quite a complex and philosophical matter and does so on a grand scale whilst looking almost like an innocent children's game with our ever so perfect righteous main characters who help everybody and only ever do good. This might scare off the more sober audiences who also might or might not like the combat system, which is a more dynamic version of the standard turn-after-turn combat that is decent, but has a lot more potential if it wasn't for some horrible AI. Well it really isn't that bad, but it limits some of the given strategies, which is a shame. Also, I just want to give major props to both the art direction, which made this game that had beneath average graphics because of the Wii's limited power (if you didnt realise by my 150 hours, this game is huge and pushes the Wii over its boundaries), still look visually incredible, and the composers, who have given us what I think is one of the best gaming OSTs ever, for adding to such a memorable experience (and of course, the feels). I can certainly say that I've spent my time well these last months. Expand
  35. Jun 29, 2015
    This game actually made me think, which was a refresher for an industry filled with "Shoot some stuff and win," and "DARK! EDGY! EXPLOSIONS!" and that's just the beginning. I recommend playing this without knowing anything that happens, as it makes the game more than a game. It makes it an experience. While, yes, the game did get a bit dark at times, but it never felt like they were tryingThis game actually made me think, which was a refresher for an industry filled with "Shoot some stuff and win," and "DARK! EDGY! EXPLOSIONS!" and that's just the beginning. I recommend playing this without knowing anything that happens, as it makes the game more than a game. It makes it an experience. While, yes, the game did get a bit dark at times, but it never felt like they were trying to emphasize it. Every plot twist had my jaw hanging open for about five minutes, except one, because I just knew that it was going to happen. The gameplay is near flawless, and there were minimal, if any, glitches to be had. All the environments are gorgeous, and every area had something different. Overall, if you enjoy a great story, solid gameplay, or JRPGs in general, I recommend it with every ounce of my soul. Expand
  36. Jun 2, 2015
    I really cannot understand all the fuss about this game. I play tons of games similar to this, and this is solidly in my list of mediocre. The character development was incredibly lacking and the world became dull and unimaginative when I was at about 20 hours.

I will say that I did enjoy those first 20 hours though. Mostly, and to an extent. I did not LOVE them. The idea of the universe was cool and the fields were cool and I had hopes that the game would continue onward in this direction.

I started to dislike the game more and more the further I went in. The plot was boring, predictable, and unimaginative. I saw most of the plot twists coming a mile away, and the one I did not see coming I didn't see much reason to care about (I will not explain why due to spoilers, but I certainly can explain) and on top of that- all shock and splendor circles around one magic weapon. Like, the whole plot just about, which is boring when you find out it doesn't do anything you didn't expect it to and the game goes on about it for 50-70 hours.

Toward the end of the game, without spoilers, the grind becomes not just your every day JRPG grind, but an intense circling around one location for hours and hours with enemies that supply little EXP and too much defense for their level. They are also the same enemies over and over. I respect the grind (most game I play are just a grind) but this was just stupid toward the end.

I played this game for 65 hours and only enjoyed about 20 of those. I was probably about 90% through the game and went out of my way to do a pretty fair amount of side quests. This game was just... very disappointing. I can't help but feel like people that love this game haven't played very many in the genre and just don't know what they were given.

"Best RPG of its generation". I couldn't even agree that its one of the best games on the wii, to be quite honest. Maybe the wii market just didn't get enough stuff like this and took what they could get?
  37. May 29, 2015
    One of the best, if not THE best JRPGs I have ever played. Combat is fun and interesting, with a massive world to explore and traverse. The story is enjoyable, gameplay is fun, and it looks stunning (for a Wii game).
  38. May 23, 2015
    Just amazing

This is probably got the best story line of any game ever

Its really sad for the fiftsixth character though thats my only down side

But ill still give it a 10/10
  39. May 22, 2015
    Xenoblade Chronicles gives us a different universe, the game takes place on two giants known as the Bionis, and the Mechonis. Starting off it gives us a brief history of the storyline, then thrusting you into the heat of battle between the army of Mechonis (the mechon) and one of the many armies of the Bionis (The homs) in sword valley. Leading the army of Bionis is Dickson, Mumkhar, andXenoblade Chronicles gives us a different universe, the game takes place on two giants known as the Bionis, and the Mechonis. Starting off it gives us a brief history of the storyline, then thrusting you into the heat of battle between the army of Mechonis (the mechon) and one of the many armies of the Bionis (The homs) in sword valley. Leading the army of Bionis is Dickson, Mumkhar, and Dunban, wielder of the Bionis sword the Monado. After a battle with the Mechon, a whole year passes by, now giving us Shulk, researching the mysterious monado after its skirmish with the mechon. Explaining the entire story would take days! Because of one shining point of xenoblade chronicles... It has more plot twists than a circular stairway! Expand
  40. May 22, 2015
    Cool game but way too highly praised for what it does. Except for world and music, which are really great, there isn't much I could find to like in this game.
  41. May 19, 2015
    its a decent game with a decent soundtrack female characters that are somewhat attractive, you have the ability to jump off a cliff and hear your character scream to his death , a charming game for the wii what else can you say
  42. May 15, 2015
    Xenoblade is one of the most difficult games I've ever had to put a rating on... it pushes and pulls at me from every direction, every aspect that I find important in a videogame is both genius in this game at certain points, but also terrible at others.

The story is wonderful, nothing truly groundbreaking but what can you truly expect here? the world has become desensitized to storytelling as a whole, and there is very little left that hasn't been done before, regardless, it keeps you interested. It's one of the biggest selling points of the game as a whole in fact. This along with a world that is so vast, and not to mention interesting from start to finish, considering all of the game takes place on the bodies of two stationary titans.

The characters are well written, not to same old emotionally unstable tripe one is used to in Japanese games these days, again nothing groundbreaking, but it is definitely a breath of fresh air in a JRPG.

But now comes the tricky part for me... while all the above has virtually no flaws in this game, the overall feel of the game is that of an MMORPG. And this may sound like great fun to people, but it truly isn't. You see, MMORPGs are virtually never ending, and the stuff you do along the way playing them actually holds meaning, be it progression, itemization, but most importantly, it serves to expand the story of the world. Xenoblade utterly fails at doing this however. A game sporting over 450 sidequests, of which at the very least half of them are utterly pointless, menial tasks that serve no purpose but to serve as filler content. Truly monolith could have kept out at least this half, shortened the lifespan by about 50 hours, and pumped this game from being great to simply amazing. That's right folks, this is a game where the length is actually a downfall considdering how that length is generated. The other half that is good sidequests however, and do expand the world as a whole, are most welcome.

The combat is another push and pull matter for me. Given that game is on the Wii, you can expect slowdown when the going gets rough, and while this may not be the most detrimental thing in the world, I couldn't help but ask myself "why on earth is this on the Wii...?". The biggest sin in this combat system however, is that it is incredibly restrictive. You control one character, you have virtually no control over the others except at certain points when certain conditions are met. This is heavily restrictive and I simply wish I could have just pressed one of the shoulder buttons to switch to another character on so many occasions. Something they will hopefully fix in the next installment.

Overall, I do believe this game is great, certainly deserving of praise, but as much as I enjoyed it, I had an equal amount of moments where I wanted to throw it out the window. So why the 7? The story and characters completely make up for the horrid aspects of the game, add to that the music and decent combat system that will hopefully get fixed for the better, and you have my score.
  43. May 5, 2015
    An irresistible mix of scifi and fantaey, in a beautiful, gorgeous even world with a great realtime combat system. The graphics are awesome, the characters likeable and the game is very relaxed yet motivating.
  44. Apr 16, 2015
    There are several elements in this game that, by comparison, go unnoticed by new RPG fans, and are thus, overrated. The amount of tedious side-quests that prevent the player from advancing the plot can be frustrating for people that prefer more plot-based RPGs. There are no buildings to enter and explore - only endless, sprawling landscapes to run across. The grinding in this gameThere are several elements in this game that, by comparison, go unnoticed by new RPG fans, and are thus, overrated. The amount of tedious side-quests that prevent the player from advancing the plot can be frustrating for people that prefer more plot-based RPGs. There are no buildings to enter and explore - only endless, sprawling landscapes to run across. The grinding in this game resembles a MOBA strategy, more than it does RPG leveling-up. There are complaints that the game's graphics don't look "good enough", but the graphics will never make up for the lacking plot. There are tons of "bad looking" video games circa 1986 to 2001 that have much more amazing plots and character progressions. This game, overall, bored me, and I found myself complaining about it instead of being able to enjoy it because it was flat and unimaginative.

Many people claim that Xenoblade is the best RPG of this generation. There is no way to prove this, because it is the ONLY RPG of this generation. The people that rate this game on the high end of the scale are rarely known to have played Final Fantasy VII, or Xenogears, for that matter, because they are younger and do not know what a classic RPG looks and feels like. That being said, again, there is little comparison being made using this game against the RPGs it came after.

The music in this game, on the other hand, deserves a 10/10.
  45. Mar 16, 2015
    In one word: Perfection

Flawless Execution of story and gameplay

THE best RPG of seventh generation of consoles,and the only reason i have a wii
  46. Mar 4, 2015
    I just recently became the lucky owner of this game... I don't know if i can do a review that gives justice to this game.

Normally i would assess the game on its individual merits but this game is too good for this, I will just discuss all things that are amazing. Affinity system and all things relating interaction amongst the PC and NPC of the game. The daunting size of the world

Affinity system and all things relating interaction amongst the PC and NPC of the game. The daunting size of the world and quest system, the beautiful scenery and amazing views, the depth of the world sucks you in like no other RPG has ever done. The world itself being 2 huge colossi that are dormant after an epic battle is quite possibly the greatest world I have ever encountered. I cannot stress enough that this game is absolutely amazing in all aspects and will leave you playing for well over 100 hours.
  47. Feb 24, 2015
    The best game that I have ever played.
    It is almost flawless, has more than beautiful areas, a superb soundtrack and a very deep storyline with some crazy twists.
    The battle system ist complex, fun, balanced and has a lot of variety. It will take some time to get used to, but when you master it, you will love it like I and many others did. BUY THIS GAME WHEN IT COMES OUT FOR Nintendo 3DS!
  48. Feb 17, 2015
    [Spanish]: Uno de los mejores RPG de la década y sin dudas el mejor para Wii, una buena historia junto a un mundo enorme para explorar, lleno de side-quests, variedad de enemigos y un combate dinámico que recuerda a títulos como Final Fantasy XII o White Knight Chronicles. Se puede jugar tanto con Wiimote+Nunchuck como con el Classic Controller, siendo relativamente cómodo con ambas opciones.
  49. Jan 7, 2015
    2006's Final Fantasy XII was, without doubt, the biggest milestone in the history of JRPGs. In bravely abandoning the tired, established format of turn-based random battles in favour of something more reminiscent of MMOs, the game dragged the genre kicking and screaming into the 21st century. The tragic legacy of FFXII is that very few subsequently were willing to acknowledge this fact,2006's Final Fantasy XII was, without doubt, the biggest milestone in the history of JRPGs. In bravely abandoning the tired, established format of turn-based random battles in favour of something more reminiscent of MMOs, the game dragged the genre kicking and screaming into the 21st century. The tragic legacy of FFXII is that very few subsequently were willing to acknowledge this fact, perhaps partly down to a somewhat lukewarm commercial performance. With Xenoblade Chronicles, Tetsuya Takahashi's Monolith Soft showed themselves to be the only development team to learn the lessons FFXII had to teach. In doing so, they have created one of the most magical videogames we are ever likely to see.

The battle system does have marked differences from its major influence. FFXII's great thrill was that it let you pre-program each party member's response to a number of different battle eventualities and then let the game carry out your instructions. You played the babysitter, watching over your party and ensuring that your planning played out as expected, and intervening and tweaking if it didn't. Xenoblade Chronicles' battles themselves are a little more interactive. Although the two supporting party members are largely automated, you retain full control of the leader, introducing the other two when necessary through your actions. The tougher battles largely come down to the timing of deployment of character-specific arts and can therefore be just as strategic as in FFXII and certainly as engrossing. In addition to the battle system, the game further accepts the limitations of the traditional JRPG model and looks further afield for inspiration, such as to western RPGs - by incorporating a questing system as well as having EXP be awarded upon discovering new locations, for instance.

So that's why Xenoblade is an important game. But what are the reasons it's a great one? Well, the answer to that is: pretty much everything else about it. Every aspect of the game is executed flawlessly. There are almost no systems which I can think of ways to improve upon. The fact that the developers understand what differentiates a good game from a great one shines through clear as day. For example: the foresight to make it unnecessary to return to the NPC who bestowed a quest upon you in most cases, the ability to warp quickly to places you've already visited in the sprawling world, or the fact that death has been designed to be a mere inconvenience rather than a motivation-destroying setback.

To fail to acknowledge every single one of the game's triumphs would be a crime, but I'll have to be brief and just mention some of the things I really love. The game's setting is uniquely imaginitive and so enchanting - two ancient warring colossi frozen in time, upon which biological and mechanical life have evolved. The beautiful environments and the awe-inspiring sense of scale really draw you in and have you totally invested. Xenoblade proves that it's not the power of the hardware a game runs on that counts, it's the love and inspiration that has been poured into its development. The entire cast is so endearing, partly down to their individual stories and backgrounds and equally due to the quirky British voice actors. The fact that the relationships between the characters actually play a part in the gameplay really reinforce your will to make things right for everyone - I felt it was my sworn duty to resolve the problems of every individual NPC. And the heartwarming love story at the centre of the plot is more than enough to keep you interested in seeing the game through to its conclusion.

The music is excellent, I particularly like how each area has a different theme for day and night. The controls are superbly responsive and a sparkling example to all 3D games that aren't particularly action-based. Completing the Collectopaedia, the separate/refine/boost gem crafting process, hunting advanced arts manuals and secret skill trees and levelling them up, maxing out everyone's affinity and accessing all the heart-to-heart scenes, preparing to take on the optional superbosses, and eventually winning - everything is utterly compelling and so much fun to experience.

There are seven main characters in the game, meaning a possible 35 different party combinations. Yet, despite this high number, unique dialogue exchanges were recorded between all the individual groups of three characters and these are sometimes reeled off at the conclusion of a battle. They always make me smile no matter how many times I hear them and they're just so indicative of the care and consideration that has gone into making the whole game.

I adore absolutely everything about Xenoblade Chronicles. I stretched it out over almost a year because I didn't want the thing to end. I spent over 250 hours exhausting almost everything it has to offer, and in each one of those hours I was continually reminded of the reasons I love videogames.
  50. Nov 17, 2014
    By far one of the best games on the Wii (if not the best), and one of the best RPGs ever made in general.

The world and art direction is amazing and creative, the music is top of the line, the characters are likable, and the battle system is very fun and unique for what's typically seen on a console RPG. The world in this game is gigantic and all of the areas in it are visually unique in some way, and always related to the story. If you want an open world game that has way, WAY more than just plain, meaningless barren fields, this is it.
  51. Oct 28, 2014
    There's a reason (or many) for ALWAYS owning the nintendo console of the moment, and this is one of them, alright ps3 had more rpgs (which i loved) but wii got the best one of its generation!

The main point of this game is the story, specially the ending which is mind blowing, the soundtrack is also epic and a must have on cd. Battles are incredible too, never got bored of them after 90 hours of playing!

The only downside i see to this incredible game is that it gets repetitive a little bit after a while, the dungeons have no imagination, you just walk and battle thats ALL you're going to do in them, no puzzle element at all. So why did they made them SO big! So many in this game is big for the sake of being big!

Both the organic world and the machine world are a joy to behold, and the game's filled with amazing characters, LOVE the choice of british voices for the characters, they should do that always, american dubbing has ruined great games like the tales series (which i rather put in mute!).

You cannot go wrong with xenoblade chronicles, is the rpg fan wet dream.
  52. Sep 12, 2014
    Very good game with a very good engine. Music 10, design 10, scenario 10, story 10. It´s very, very good and the most epic rpg i played. And i played very very rpgs. Only one problem, the console. Wii it´s not a best option and this is a problem to level of the graphics and the style of controlls. The second part it´s going to WiiU. most better. (Sorry for my poor english).
  53. Sep 12, 2014
    Simply the best rpg for the Wii. The story is pretty good and far away from the familiar (standard) rpg settings. Most plot twists will surprise you but fell never fake / factitious. The characters always bring a smile on my face. Especially Shulk and Fiora are deep characters outside off beaten tracks (Honorable mention: Melia and Dunban). The character development in this game is doneSimply the best rpg for the Wii. The story is pretty good and far away from the familiar (standard) rpg settings. Most plot twists will surprise you but fell never fake / factitious. The characters always bring a smile on my face. Especially Shulk and Fiora are deep characters outside off beaten tracks (Honorable mention: Melia and Dunban). The character development in this game is done very well. The graphics are O.K for me. Some will say the graphic looks dated but the game world is really nice. The soundtrack is in the top 10 for the Wii. Overall a must own game for the Wii. Expand
  54. Sep 9, 2014
    one of the few jRPG's that kept my interest
    (short review)
    Pros: +Looks pretty good for a wii game, but the resolution holds it back. +interesting combat system (cooldown based instead of turned based) +interesting story! (it's about people, not crystals..lol) +good voice work +nice big world to explore +indepth skills/ability system +great music +changing outfits changes your
    one of the few jRPG's that kept my interest
    (short review)
    Pros:
    +Looks pretty good for a wii game, but the resolution holds it back.
    +interesting combat system (cooldown based instead of turned based)
    +interesting story! (it's about people, not crystals..lol)
    +good voice work
    +nice big world to explore
    +indepth skills/ability system
    +great music
    +changing outfits changes your how you look!

Cons:
    -Really bad Friendly AI
    -no gc controller support
    -in battle event prompts interrupt attack inputs
    -camera gets stuck, and lags a bit at times

It's a ton of fun, if you like JRPG's pick it up.
    if you like RPG's but often get bored of other because of the lame story, how linear they are, or the amount of grinding they require, Try this game!
    it's quite a bit different.
  55. Sep 3, 2014
    Really the best RPG I have played on the Wii, is an awesome game!!!
    The voice, the music, the story, the game play it's really awesome!!!

56. Aug 4, 2014
    Took me awhile to rate this game and write a review because the game is literally 100+ hours to complete fully. This is an epic Wii title and also one of the rarest games to obtain as well. Im still baffled that this game is on Wii; didn't know that the Wii had the power to handle it. This game is massive with amazing areas to explore, beautiful soundtrack that i actually downloaded on myTook me awhile to rate this game and write a review because the game is literally 100+ hours to complete fully. This is an epic Wii title and also one of the rarest games to obtain as well. Im still baffled that this game is on Wii; didn't know that the Wii had the power to handle it. This game is massive with amazing areas to explore, beautiful soundtrack that i actually downloaded on my music list personally, characters that are awesome, and the battle system that lives up to Final Fantasy standards with an added intensity boost. This game has so many things to do, that you will find yourself lost in the game figuring out what to do next. A must buy(if you can afford/find one) for the Wii. Excellent Game!! Expand
  57. Jul 27, 2014
    this overrated tittle... The story isn't any special to me , good music , good graphic but worst fighting system in this kind of game ... it isn't worst game i ever played , but it just disappointed me because the game play really somehow boring and isn't fun to me
  58. Jul 23, 2014
    Fantastic story, visual design and the combat is incredibly engaging. This is the answer to EA's original marketing statement, Can a computer make you cry? This game proves that yes it can.
  59. Jul 4, 2014
    The only downside to this game is side-quests. There are over 200 side quests, but only vary a dozen ways. Make sure you check online to find which side quests are actually important. The game is at its best when you're exploring the vast open world and drinking in its beauty. Combat is fast paced and tons of challenging bosses to take on. Characters a typical JPRG heros and the storyThe only downside to this game is side-quests. There are over 200 side quests, but only vary a dozen ways. Make sure you check online to find which side quests are actually important. The game is at its best when you're exploring the vast open world and drinking in its beauty. Combat is fast paced and tons of challenging bosses to take on. Characters a typical JPRG heros and the story twists keep you going. A must play for any Wii owner! Expand
  60. Jun 30, 2014
    This game is massive with everything a JRPG lover wants to see. A solid main story with countless small streamlined sidequests where you don't want to walk back to the NPC most of time to get your rewards. Battle mechanics that reward you for thinking rather than punish. Want a game where you need to walk past two horizon lines before you finally get to a loading screen? XenobladeThis game is massive with everything a JRPG lover wants to see. A solid main story with countless small streamlined sidequests where you don't want to walk back to the NPC most of time to get your rewards. Battle mechanics that reward you for thinking rather than punish. Want a game where you need to walk past two horizon lines before you finally get to a loading screen? Xenoblade Chronicles is the game for you!! (Seriously unless you fast-travel or get to a cut-scene, you have to actively LOOK to find a loading screen) Expand
  61. May 7, 2014
    One of the best games I have played. It has everything you would expect from a jrpg. Great story, interesting characters you come to care about, a ton of quests (and yes some are annoying). The only issue I have is that you can't buy advanced skill books (not that you need them that much once you level up considerably). If you haven't played it I definitely recommend you do. The game alsoOne of the best games I have played. It has everything you would expect from a jrpg. Great story, interesting characters you come to care about, a ton of quests (and yes some are annoying). The only issue I have is that you can't buy advanced skill books (not that you need them that much once you level up considerably). If you haven't played it I definitely recommend you do. The game also works on Dolphin emulator without any significant problems (Only a little audio issue here and there). Expand
  62. May 3, 2014
    The story is breath taking filled with twists and turns in the plot and good character development you will be hooked. The voice acting is amazing and far beyond what you would come to expect from an RPG. The graphics are fantastic, really pushing the Wii to it's limits and the game has a very large draw distance. The music fantastic and changes depending on if it is day on night in areas.The story is breath taking filled with twists and turns in the plot and good character development you will be hooked. The voice acting is amazing and far beyond what you would come to expect from an RPG. The graphics are fantastic, really pushing the Wii to it's limits and the game has a very large draw distance. The music fantastic and changes depending on if it is day on night in areas. The game is very long and your likely to clock well over 100 hours. The extra quest can become tedious, specially with the recycled story text when accepting and completing them, they start to make you feel the game is been water down to lengthen the game. Having to delete items often is a pain because of the carrying limit of unique items. The battle system is a bit clunky in areas for example trying to switch your target can be a pain. Expand
  63. Apr 9, 2014
    By far the best game i own. The battle system is very unique. Even though this game is hard (or i just suck) the game is still better than most games i have.
  64. Apr 4, 2014
    9.7/10

Pros epic story, creative art direction, awesome voice acting, wondeful music, likeable characters, beautiful environments (especially the final few), 50+ hours of main quest, well-implemented and unique innovations Cons Wii graphics (this is a big turn off until you get used to them after which you stop grimacing so be prepared for this), a few rare stretches of slowness in
    9.7/10

Pros

Cons
    Wii graphics (this is a big turn off until you get used to them after which you stop grimacing so be prepared for this), a few rare stretches of slowness in the pacing (part of this is due to the phenomenal length of the game so this is to be expected)

Definitely one of the best RPGs I've ever played and I've played more than a few. If you have any liking for RPGs, do yourself a favor and try this game. Looking forward to the next one.
  65. Mar 25, 2014
    To this day I am simply dumbfounded by how impressive this game's open world is. Contrary to the "corridorization" of recent RPGs, Xenoblade Chronicles opts to immerse the player in a beautifully designed world.

Oh, it also has one of the best soundtracks to ever grace this medium.
  66. Mar 24, 2014
    This game will consume your soul for approximately 100 hours, it's like going on a journey to heaven, if heaven was a JRPG. Cheesecakes are at stake here (not really). Mmm cheesecakes...
  67. Mar 11, 2014
    Play the game for 2-4 hours, if you're not hooked then, then the game is not for you. This is an amazing game, really feels like a JRPG from the 90's, and somehow Monolith Soft managed to make the game exactly as they wanted to, without Nintendo intervention (not spoiling anything!)

Short review, amazing game, really well designed battle system, great plot, and overall you're getting one of the most well thought out games I have ever seen. The whole world just comes to life in this game, and every location feels like a real place, that has some real importance. Plus the boss fights in this game are just amazing.

However if you don't get hooked withing 4 hours, put it down and never look back. Why? While the story is amazing, if you don't like the start, you probably won't like the rest of it. Plus there is a lot of needless walking in this game. Honestly they could have cut 20 hours out of the game just by introducing a motorcycle or something. It's just too long of a game, it could have been compressed into 40 hours no problem.

That said, this is still a 9/10, it's one of the best RPG's which I have ever played. It really feels like a 90's JRPG, and without spoiling anything........there is blood....in a Nintendo game.........
  68. Feb 27, 2014
    Without a doubt, the greatest game I have ever played. The story, the characters, the gameplay, the music, the world...everything is just so perfect! Especially the music! If you have never played this game before, you absolutely MUST! I enjoyed all 167 hours I've spent in this game so far, and I think you will too!
  69. Jan 7, 2014
    This game is definitely a step forward in the JRPG genre, it's huge, unique, and comes packed in with amazing music, story, and 200+ hours of game play side quests. If I had to choose my game of last gen, it'd be this one for sure. Despite being a Wii game, this game is huge, the landscapes and environments are beautiful. Although the game starts out somewhat typically, once you get intoThis game is definitely a step forward in the JRPG genre, it's huge, unique, and comes packed in with amazing music, story, and 200+ hours of game play side quests. If I had to choose my game of last gen, it'd be this one for sure. Despite being a Wii game, this game is huge, the landscapes and environments are beautiful. Although the game starts out somewhat typically, once you get into the fourth area it starts to blow you away. The story was just heart wrenching at some points to me and I was hooked on it. Besides all that though, the Characters are relate able, the quests are fun and not required, the secret areas leave exploring fun to do, the collectibles, achievements, and even the crafting system will all keep you busy when doing some grinding, so it's not all that tedious unlike some other JRPG's are.
    Although the game is a masterpiece in story, music- (and practically everything else) It does have some setbacks. For those who like graphics, this game might not be the best on your eyes, but as I see it, the pros blow away this small con. Also, the AI is just horrible at times, sometimes they just fail at the wrong times unfortunately, but it's a rare occurrence. The characters.. although most are amazing, some just aren't as deep as you'd want- but hey, what game doesn't have this?

Overall this game is top quality, it's fun, memorable, and definitely a must-have for RPG fans, if you can get a hold of it of course.
  70. Dec 16, 2013
    The game is great, but I wish it was a bit more difficult. The side quests are also a bit of a disappointment, due to the fact there are so many of them and most if not all are not worth it. Definitely worth playing if you focus on the main story.
  71. Nov 30, 2013
    Bear with me, as this review will be completely opposite to popular opinion. So I bought this game from the gamestop 40 dollar pre-owned black friday deal, and I was stoked as I could finally get this game cheap..this rare game that was praised so much.
    So I buy it and I play it. The introduction seemed pretty cool: these two robots face off against each other and the humans (or homs or whatever) try to fight off the little robots with this badass sword. That's all fine and dandy. Instantly once the gameplay begins, I start to doubt the game. First off, WHY IS THERE A JUMP FEATURE? The jump only goes horizontally and has absolutely no vertical height whatsoever..so what's the point? Second, the combat seemed awful. All you're doing is pushing the d-pad left and right and pressing A..that's it. Your character automatically attacks the opponent while you just walk around and toggle the sword icons. I figured, fine, maybe there are more mechanics later on. And no surprise there were. However, these mechanics just came off as dull and uninteresting. The triple attack (where the gauge is three bars full) has got to be the dullest thing I've seen. It's literally just the characters attacking with a regular sword swing against the enemy while the enemy can't move..just one enemy..this can't be done with more than one. There's no epic combo with the three or anything, just three separate sword swings...really worth those three bars....
    Not only that, but when you fight the enemy, the characters DONT SHUT THE UP! They keep giving these cheering speeches nonstop throughout the fight. And you can't turn this off, either. So whenever you engage in battle you constantly hear those annoying speeches. Really prevents you from wanting to battle an enemy, really. The ally AI is also complete bullocks as they die so easily while barely doing any damage to the enemy. And when they do die, you have to revive them only if your team gague is one bar full..and only about 1/6th of their health is revived, as well..making it pointless as the enemy could just do another attack and the teammates a goner. And why does the person need to be "motivated" to fight again after they've lost? Really, game? Does any other JRPG do that?
    The game also heavily focuses on grinding. It's a JRPG, I get it, but without grinding the out of your characters, you won't be winning some of those battles. Luckily the game is forgiving in the sense that when you die, you respawn before the battle, so the need to do everything over again is not there.
    Also is it just me, or is it irritating that you can't go inside buildings unless the door is fully open in a JRPG? I mean in every other JRPG, you can go in any house and talk to the folks inside. What's the deal with Xenoblade?
    The characters themselves seem so one-dimensional...maybe it's because I haven't gotten past 2 and a half hours of the game, but they're just...boring. Shulk is just the "I want to beat them and get revenge" Reyn is the "I'm a smug and I'm kind of a clutz" while FIona is the "OMG I care for you guys so much, don't hurt yourselves." And it's obvious from the get-go that Fiona and Shulk are love interests...they really force that. The townsfolk have nothing interesting to say either...and while I haven't done the sidequests yet, I've heard they're chores rather than actual quests.
    The number of tutorials also irks me. I think you can turn it off, but for first-timers, these tutorials are necessary. It's just, there's way too many, and the way the tutorials work is also annoying. Games need to take notes from the 90's and allow the player to teach him/herself the game through the gameplay rather than use 3 paragraph texts for each new mechanic.
    The graphics also make me cringe. For a game that's extremely long and has such a huge world to explore, why are the graphics equivalent to a PS1 title? I know it's the Wii, but the console can do much more.

You know a game isn't going to be enjoyable when all these flaws are apparent in just the first two and half hours of the game. First impressions are everything, and if you can't woo the player in within the first two and a half hours, then you're really doing something wrong. I just don't see how I could enjoy this game if my opinion on it are this bad already.
    There are some good things though: I love the music to this game..my god is the music fantastic. In fact I'm listening to the OST as I'm typing this review. It's just beautiful. I also love the voice acting; great job on the actors' part. I also think that the story has some promise as some of the cutscenes intrigued me (although the amount of cutscenes (too many) is another problem I have with this game.) But as far as positives go, that's all I can say, really. Not a positive review, but hey it's an opinion.
    I did go back and trade this for the Metroid Prime Trilogy, which I gotta say is amazing.
  72. Nov 22, 2013
    Xenoblade chronicles is the best game that i have ever played, it has stunning graphics, great quests, a long story, and lots of plot twists, which i find amazing. No game i ever played before has gave me this unique gameplay, and the story really connects with me, when "Shulk" felt sad, i felt sad as well, i think that the creators of this game really wanted to create a game that canXenoblade chronicles is the best game that i have ever played, it has stunning graphics, great quests, a long story, and lots of plot twists, which i find amazing. No game i ever played before has gave me this unique gameplay, and the story really connects with me, when "Shulk" felt sad, i felt sad as well, i think that the creators of this game really wanted to create a game that can connect with the players and give them the feelings of the characters. Expand
  73. Nov 11, 2013
    Little late to the party on this review. I hated my Wii up until playing this game. Even now I can say its the only game I truly enjoyed on the system. Even being on such terrible hardware, they graphic direction made it one of the most beautiful games I played last generation. Couple that with an amazing story, voiced by probably the best voice acting of last gen and its just a greatLittle late to the party on this review. I hated my Wii up until playing this game. Even now I can say its the only game I truly enjoyed on the system. Even being on such terrible hardware, they graphic direction made it one of the most beautiful games I played last generation. Couple that with an amazing story, voiced by probably the best voice acting of last gen and its just a great journey. That's not even mentioning the gameplay, customization and best in class soundtrack. I couldn't say enough good things about this game if I tried. Right up there with the Mass Effect trilogy and original Bioshock for my top game of the 360/PS3/Wii generation. Expand
  74. Nov 2, 2013
    I played about 25 hours and I have to say that this is the pinnacle of Wii games. I will not finish due to being a week away from the PS4 release. But what I have played is a jrpg at its best. Story, gameplay, graphics and sound are all top notch for the Wii. Just play this with the pro controller and not the nunchucks like I did. This is a 75+ hour game so just be warned.
  75. Nov 2, 2013
    THE GOOD: This is (as of now) the best rpg game i've ever played. It has an intense original story full of plot twists and emotion. The ending was absolutely perfect. The characters are a memorable bunch. Voice acting is fantastic. The world is extremely large, full of wide open spaces with a high amount of variety, from grasslands to jungles, snowy mountains, cliffsides, and countlessTHE GOOD: This is (as of now) the best rpg game i've ever played. It has an intense original story full of plot twists and emotion. The ending was absolutely perfect. The characters are a memorable bunch. Voice acting is fantastic. The world is extremely large, full of wide open spaces with a high amount of variety, from grasslands to jungles, snowy mountains, cliffsides, and countless others. The game truely takes advantage of the wii's power and the scope is insane. Its not the best visually, but the character models and environments are still noticeably detailed in such a large open-world game. Battle system is innovative and completely upgradeable. Characters are completely upgradeable. You can change any one of the 7 character's clothing any way you see fit while adjusting their stats. The game has a seemingly unlimited amount of sidequests to do. The replay value is large and a single playthrough can often take a minimum of 70 hours for the average player. The soundtrack is one of the best i've ever heard. Every piece of music is memorable.

THE BAD: This isn't a big deal but it would have been cool to see online multiplayer options. It also would have been good if sidequests had cutscenes or voice acting.

This is literally about as perfect as a game can possibly be in my opinion. Absolutely phenomenal title. The best game ever released for wii. PERIOD. MUST BUY!
  76. Oct 26, 2013
    I have played so many Rpgs in this 7th generation era but I will have to say one thing that this game is certainly one of my top 5 game and 3rd best Jrpg after Ninokuni and The last story.

Story: Story and character is just to fantastic for any game..I cared about main character and his Band of mercenaries.Characters have deep emotional touch with beautiful stories and the main protagonist is one of the best i the RPG genere.

Graphics: Even though frame rate issue was there i was always wondering how did the old Wii manage to produce such a beautiful game.

Gameplay: Just 10 out of 10. Blend of RPG strategy and action
  77. Oct 18, 2013
    Best RPG of all the seventh generation, not ha notthing better than his game believe me, if you rave a wii or wiiu, you need to play xenoblade cronicles. this is the uniq game.
    final fantasy, dark souls, ni no kuni, tales of xilia will not have more fun after you play xenoblade
  78. Sep 24, 2013
    I really tried to like this game, i invested a good 7-8 hours before i put it down.
    Although the start seemed quite promising after an hour or so i knew i wasn't going to like it. So what killed it for me? Basically everything felt really shallow, slow and repetitive. The side quests just became an annoyance after a while. Usually i try to finish most RPG's with all secrets items you name it. But the amount of pointless MMO type quests packed into this is just ridiculous.
    I was hoping the storyline would save the game and despite my initial drawbacks to play it, i would have ploughed through for stories sake. But sadly it didn't deliver on this front either, It just felt very shallow and fake like it didn't really know where it was headed itself.
    You might enjoy but don't go in with very high expectations
  79. Aug 16, 2013
    Gameplay: Amazing. OST: Awesome. Story: THE BEST. Is the best game ever for me (Ocarina of Time... was the best before I play Xenoblade). People who says it is bad... I think they are a mere haters. This game cannot have a score under 9.5, seriously.
  80. Aug 7, 2013
    This game is the best JRPG I've played in a long time! It's story, dialogues, gameplay, graphics and also it's music (which is made by Yoko, who made the music for Kingdom Hearts, too) are all really good!
    I recommend it to you, if you have a Nintendo Wii!
  81. Jul 20, 2013
    This game was the game that finally broke me, I promised myself I would never touch the WII never purchase one, never wield that dumb condom combo. This game did it for me.

Praise be Shulk the wielder of the Future that is the Monado! On a serious note this game is pretty badass and if you are somehow able to get a copy of this I strongly recommend this Title. Though finding a

Praise be Shulk the wielder of the Future that is the Monado!

On a serious note this game is pretty badass and if you are somehow able to get a copy of this I strongly recommend this Title. Though finding a copy will be a tough shot considering I have gotten emails from Gamestop wanting to buy back my copy because apparently making only a limited number of copies for the region for a number 1 defining game of a console a perfect plan doth thou make (combined with the WII being at the end of its cycle with the WII U being released).
  82. Jul 3, 2013
    One of the only JRPGs that will be remembered when trying to think of great JRPGs of the seventh gen and my personal favorite. Among the others I consider would be Ni No Kuni, Tales of Graces f, and Tales of Vesperia. That is literally all out of at least two dozen JRPGs I have played. But this is a review for XC so let me talk about that.

It innovates a battle system in a way that

It innovates a battle system in a way that makes battles go by fast through auto attacking, but gives the player complete control of the flow of battle through allowing the player to choose special attacks, heal spells, link attacks, power buffs, and attack warnings.

The story provides a great and (mostly) original mythology that absolutely sucks you into the story and will have you up LONG past the time you told yourself you were going to get off the game to sleep for work tomorrow. This game will have you making predictions, and then completely throw you a curve ball and everything you thought you knew is completely wrong. The characters in this story are very likable and relatable, allowing an emotional connection with the player where you'll find yourself angry and even sad when experiencing the cost of war with these characters. The voice actors are AAA, hands down some of the best in the business. They all have British accents, which I was fine with but a heads up if those types of games turn you off.

The last thing I will talk about is just what blew my freaking socks off. The sheer ambitiousness of this game. It is made from the labor of some of the greatest RPG creators in the business and you can tell. If all you do is play PS3 and XBox 360 and just got a Wii and just got this game the graphics would still come off as a rather impressive for 480p. If you are an owner of all three systems (as I am) and you have played a ton of Wii games (as I have) and thought you knew what the system was capable of (as I did), this game literally blows your mind. Not just in graphics, but in scope of all areas. Completely sandbox open world, the maps are unbelievable large and load times between areas is very quick. The characters have three personality types for upgrading which will give the character the ability to get heal spells, damage spells, or status effect spells. All armor gotten in the game (though some designs are recycled) change the appearance of the character, and all armor can be equipped with gems that range from lvl 1 to 5 (Think equipping materia to your parties in FF VII, with just stat boosts, and resistance effects) which gives the player an insane amount of options when customizing a character. The weapons are the same way, change in appearance and can be equipped with gems. Making the player able to boost the attack on a weapon that has a status effect that they really like that doesn't require a gem to be powerful enough to damage stronger enemies.

Basically it comes down to this. This game will be regarded with the greats (for those of us who have been fortunate to game that long) such as Suikoden II, Final Fantasy VII and Lunar The Silver Star. Anyone who has a Wii U should seriously consider supporting Monolithsoft X, and keep another of the greatest RPG franchises alive.
  83. Jun 25, 2013
    One of the best games that I've played ever. Just do yourself a favor: buy a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles and be prepared to be blown away, you won't regret it
  84. Jun 24, 2013
    Xenoblade Chronicles is the best JRPG I've played in years. Every aspect of the game shines, offering a unique and amazing experience.
    The gameplay is top notch, boasting a new and interesting combat system that never seems to get old, even 60+ hours into the game. The characters, too, are very well done. All of the characters in the story are interesting, well voiced, extremely British, and not annoying (except Riki, who is the embodiment of annoyance).
    The story of the game is great mainly due to the game's setting atop two massive titans called the Bionis and the Mechonis. It is full of plot twists and character development which keeps the it interesting.
    The very best aspect of this game is its music, which is nothing short of masterful. The very best memory I have of this game involves entering a grand and expansive location, only then to be greeted by the best song in game. Every track suits the scenery it accompanies.
    The only fault people have with this game are the graphics. However, as far as Wii games go, the graphics aren't half bad. When looking at things up close, they might seem to be rather ugly. However, when viewing giant new areas, the game looks gorgeous.
    Take all these aspects and combine them with a nonlinear and lengthy experience, and you get an excellent JRPG and one of the Wii's best games.
    9.4/10
  85. May 25, 2013
    Xenoblade is definitely one of the most interesting RPGs of this generation and for many several good reasons that in most RPGs nowadays are either removed, not present, or just forgotten. For starters, we HAVE exploration! YES, we can finally explore areas once again, even though there's no real world map but it is still a great thing to have, with extremely huge areas with details,Xenoblade is definitely one of the most interesting RPGs of this generation and for many several good reasons that in most RPGs nowadays are either removed, not present, or just forgotten. For starters, we HAVE exploration! YES, we can finally explore areas once again, even though there's no real world map but it is still a great thing to have, with extremely huge areas with details, enemies to fight, and add also that we get sub quests (which can be either annoying, or simple, but they are there!), this game has already a lot of stuff to give. We also get a very nice relation system that even though I don't remember exactly doing much (it was more useful for later part of the games), it's nice to have...but I'll go back to it later. The combat also is pretty good and, ACTUALLY, mix the turn based and action based combat pretty well: infact you actually have a good control over the combat, with hotkeys like in an MMORPG (skill trees included), and your compagnion work and act properly well, because they usually have a role; for example, Melia is the mage (and the only one not very good with an AI, for me at least), Reyn is a "tank", and Sharla is a healer, and so forth, and that even makes combination with your team mates pretty interesting, since they are all pretty unique in their way. And for last, but not the least, a detail that I really really liked of this game...the armors actually CHANGE your appearance, and the armors are extremely detailed and good looking! "Applauds" Bravo, I was really stunned by this, since that in 99% of RPGs (not including Western RPGs), the armor customization is literally zero. I'm pretty sure I'm being vague on the game details, combat and stuff, but it's because these are extremely good and well made, with few flaws that barely are remarkable. Except for the story. While the game itself is great...the story is flatout one of the worst I've ever seen but for ALL the wrong reasons. One of these reasons is that...it's SO predictable! I'm not kidding when I say that even the GAME COVER is a spoiler (just analyze the name Xenoblade...yeah, it's what you think. Yeah, it's a vital part of the game later on). But what about the story itself? It's not bad but I was able to predict any kind of twist, plot devices, character motivations....ANYTHING! I'm not saying this game is bad because the story is not original, but PLEASE at least tell it properly and without being too predictable: the only unpredictable thing of the story, was the the ending! Infact, I mentioned about the relation between characters, which usually means that behaving accordingly with certain characters usually will lead to a different ending: in this game, it serves only for getting either achievements and other stuff, and that's it...and that was such a waste because, actually, the game gives you ways to make up friendship with your team mates, and that helped me to like certain characters because they had their motivations. But then, if the game will have one ending, why giving us a fake trace of multiple endings by giving us the chance of interacting with the people of the game! Perhaps I'm overreacting over it, but that to me was a major flaw, because the ending is also weak and left me unsatisfied. But still...this is a good game and I honestly encourage to try it out, because it's both fun to play and very long to complete, due to the explorations, the skill trees to unlock, the subquests, the relationship building (even if not that great), the combat being fun and smooth (still, we can't dodge by moving away...), and so much more. But the story really didn't get me and I was really disappointed by it. Definitely a game to play and try, especially if you have a lot of time to spare. Expand
  86. May 24, 2013
    A pretty good game overall, and one of the best RPGs i've played in some time. The story is great, the gameplay is pretty good, and most of the characters are pretty awesome. However the reason this game doesn't get a 10/10 is that it simply includes too many small flaws.

First of all one of the things that annoyed me quite a bit about the game is the difficulty: The enemies and bosses actually have a fine difficulty to keep the game challenging without being to hard there's just one problem: If you don't stay and farm in each place you won't be able to keep on the same level as your opponents and then the game gets far too hard. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if the game actually had a decent side-quest system, but unfurturnately it doesn't. The sidequest are repetetive, boring and aren't very rewarding.

Another big flaw with the game is with building your team. The characters simply aren't properly balanced with some of them being almost useless. And if you want to keep your team as strong as possible there's only like 2 combinations that work. There's quite a few other flaws like some enemies having way too much thorns when toppled and some other stuff, but i didn't want to write it all here. But it's a pretty fine game anyways so if your not the type that goes to much into the details, but simply wants a good story and decent combat, then this is a game for you.
  87. Apr 27, 2013
    I can't believe this game got so many good reviews. I gave it a good 15 hours and I was very disappointed in the "EPIC, AMAZING, AWESOME JRPG". It's total trash. The battle system is excruciatingly boring and dumb. It's the same thing over and over and over. If I wanted a mindless button masher, I would have played God of War. The AI is useless. The quests are boring and dumb. TheI can't believe this game got so many good reviews. I gave it a good 15 hours and I was very disappointed in the "EPIC, AMAZING, AWESOME JRPG". It's total trash. The battle system is excruciatingly boring and dumb. It's the same thing over and over and over. If I wanted a mindless button masher, I would have played God of War. The AI is useless. The quests are boring and dumb. The game...is boring and dumb. Maybe I just hate action rpg's but I just don't see it. It's mind blowing. I gave it a 3 for the soundtrack. Expand
  88. Apr 20, 2013
    Instantly one of my favorite JRPG's of all time. Tons of content, side quests, and a long main campaign. Fast paced action-oriented battle system. Excellent character development. This is the first JRPG I've played in years that I just couldn't put down...and I've already sunk in over 60 hours into the game.
  89. Apr 7, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece. The individuals who worked together to create this game must have poured everything they could have into it. Xenoblade is easily the best game on Wii and one of the greatest games of all time. Packaged with an engrossing story, breathtaking environments and a truly memorable soundtrack Xenoblade Chronicles stands among the hierarchy of JRPG's.
  90. Apr 1, 2013
    You are going to need a Classic Controller and a love of JRPG's before you pick this one up. Finally the Wii has a game that is best described as epic. Huge, imaginative, beautiful open world accented by killer music. It reminds me of Skyrim. The overall story and characters are very vanilla (hence a need love of JRPGs), but it has enough twist and turns to keep you playing for the 70+You are going to need a Classic Controller and a love of JRPG's before you pick this one up. Finally the Wii has a game that is best described as epic. Huge, imaginative, beautiful open world accented by killer music. It reminds me of Skyrim. The overall story and characters are very vanilla (hence a need love of JRPGs), but it has enough twist and turns to keep you playing for the 70+ hours of campaign. It is a shame that side quests (300+) are fetch quests for random item drops and monster fights. They aren't thought out like the loyalty quests in Mass Effect 2. I ignored side quests and focused on combat. Combat is a lot of fun and will get tougher as you get deeper into the story. Negatively, aging Wii hardware means the game slows when fighting a lot of foes. Expand
  91. Mar 19, 2013
    I would give this game a 10 if it weren't for certain parts of the game that required you to grind on monsters just to catch up to a boss's level. For example, you will be 42/43 and they will throw a 48 and 50 boss after you. Or, you could be 68/69 and get a 75 boss thrown at you. What are the pros?

-Environment: breathtaking, massive, and each area looks different. -Music: One of the

-Environment: breathtaking, massive, and each area looks different.
    -Music: One of the best soundtracks of all time. Each song is awesome, especially the Mechonis levels.
    - Heropon Riki: People will downplay this character as a pokemon ripoff, but he is hilarious, has a ton of charm, and was my favorite character to play.
    -Story: It was all over the play towards the middle and end, but it kept me glued the whole way through.
    -Unique Monsters: This was my favorite part of the game because each monster required a different strategy to defeat it. At one point, I was just monster hunting instead of working on the story.

What are the cons?

Sidequests: There are a ton and most of them are generic kill/collect quests. I only did those that were on the way along the main quest, but most sidequests didn't have much originality.

Graphics: The environments are well-done, but the characters definitely look like from ps1/ps2 generation. Not a huge con just because the mechonis levels looked awesome.

Forced grinding: I wish there were more quests that weren't so grindy and granted exp just so you didn't have to kill every monster in a dungeon over and over.

Overall, I definitely recommend a playthrough the game. It's a great RPG that should be experienced by people who won't can appreciate a game like this.
  92. Feb 26, 2013
    Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the best RPGs I have ever played. Monolith Soft created a wonderful gameplay environment that is one of the best I've ever experienced. The story was good but not great but when added to the wonderful gameplay, massive environments, fun characters and interesting settings of the game it definitely deserves a 10/10.
  93. RNH
    Feb 2, 2013
    This and Super Smash Bros, are the best Wii games there is. Xenoblade Chronicles is a must own for any self-respectable gamer. The game is huge, with a unique game world that takes place on two giant corpses. The narrative is great, the cutscenes are even better. Gameplay is no slouch too, this battle system is one no ever JRPG nor APRG has ever come up with, its clever, easy to use, andThis and Super Smash Bros, are the best Wii games there is. Xenoblade Chronicles is a must own for any self-respectable gamer. The game is huge, with a unique game world that takes place on two giant corpses. The narrative is great, the cutscenes are even better. Gameplay is no slouch too, this battle system is one no ever JRPG nor APRG has ever come up with, its clever, easy to use, and fun. The future telling system is great, the bosses are cool, and the game will last you more than 100 hours. No other game, other than Red Dead Redemption or Super Smash Bros. Brawl, has made my jaw drop like this. Expand
  94. Jan 25, 2013
    This game has a ridiculously high metacritic score. You will find tons of adoring reviews.

Every one of these is utter garbage. Xenoblade is tripe. The game is deeply, deeply, deeply flawed. Its just bad. Where to begin? Firstly, most people go to RPGs for the story. This game has a terrible story. The SETTING is cool - indeed, it is a major selling point for the game - but sadly,

Every one of these is utter garbage. Xenoblade is tripe.

The game is deeply, deeply, deeply flawed. Its just bad. Where to begin?

Firstly, most people go to RPGs for the story. This game has a terrible story. The SETTING is cool - indeed, it is a major selling point for the game - but sadly, while the WORLD is cool... the characters inhabiting it are not. The game commits the cardinal sin of having a deeply boring cast. Shulk and Reyn are boring generic characters whose quest is driven by revenge, Melia is a generic princess who is coming to see what the other people see, and Riki is just an annoying little thing. Dunban and Sharla are okay, but they're unexceptional. The other characters in the world are mostly quite boring, with only a handful holding any real interest.

Worse still, there is a ridiculous amount of filler. Indeed, the game is mostly filler. There are sidequests galore, which are necessary to unlock many skills, but if you do them you end up hilariously overlevelled - I often was 10-15 levels above the level of the area after the start of the game. If you skip them, some of them are timed lost forevers, and the rest are even more tedious once you've left the area as there's just no reason to run around for them. This also spaces out the time it takes to actually get through the story - you do some story, then A BILLION SIDEQUESTS, then another hour of story, then A BILLION MORE, ect. Its terrible pacing.

The areas are nicely designed, but even there the game falls down. The areas look decent (though the graphics are not great - and it isn't just that it is on the Wii) but the areas are ENORMOUS. This sounds like a good thing, but it is actually really terrible as it takes a very long time to simply cross the areas. Oh, and the game rewards you for exploring, with better rewards than the quests, so you'd better do it - and worse still, there are teleporters which let you quick travel back through the areas, which are mandatory for making doing the sidequests tolerable, but you can miss some of them, meaning you end up finding them later while on your way back from some inconvenient to get to area. Joy.

The combat is bad. The AI is not very smart - in fact, it is quite dumb - and there's no control over it. Some characters are just useless under AI control, while others work quite well, so its clearly just incompetence. Unfortunately this also means you never want to control some characters, as their AI is good enough, and other characters you can't put in as NPCs in your party because they don't behave intelligently. The only good thing is the "changing the future" thing, which adds in some actual interactivity.

So yeah. The game is huge, extremely long, but a very empty and not terribly fun experience. Avoid it.
  95. Jan 14, 2013
    Xenoblade is the greatest RPG of this generation and one of the best games on the Nintendo Wii . An epic adventure, beauty and there is still plenty of magic and fantasy. I hope we'll see more from this game in the future.
  96. Dec 1, 2012
    Masterpiece JRPG overworld that describes this game. I will play this game over and over again Killing those little buggers. This a video game and developers should take note because you want your game to be like this. The con could be graphics and texture, but it is not because it is more than that. I have played this for over 200 hours and more.
  97. Nov 27, 2012
    This is quite possibly the best RPG of this generation, and in my own eyes a contender for the best RPG of all time. The fact that this game looks as good as it does, sounds as good as it does, and has such an epic scale on such limited hardware is truly awe-inspiring. This game is massive! The combat system is fluid and dynamic, the characters and story are well rounded, the soundtrackThis is quite possibly the best RPG of this generation, and in my own eyes a contender for the best RPG of all time. The fact that this game looks as good as it does, sounds as good as it does, and has such an epic scale on such limited hardware is truly awe-inspiring. This game is massive! The combat system is fluid and dynamic, the characters and story are well rounded, the soundtrack hits all the right notes. The Wii maybe the laughing stock of a lot of gamers, but this achievement is proof that hardware does not make the game. The games make the hardware. Expand
  98. Nov 20, 2012
    A strikingly mediocre attempt at Final Fantasy XII.

A strikingly mediocre attempt at Final Fantasy XII.

Sure, the story's flashy, but if you truly appreciate character customization, detailed equipment, and RPG-immersion, this is not the game for you. Expect no diversity of character or game-play; there are no "professions", absolutely no "magics" or "techniques" worth mentioning, and don't even think you will get to focus your characters strengths -- everything, including the "skills", is preset. It's reception baffles me. Have RPG-s really been this diluted? If you're 12 years old, though, the repetitive, simplistic tools that they give you to achieve a goal might be enough to immerse you.
  99. Oct 9, 2012
    Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome AwesomeAwesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Awesome Expand
  100. Sep 23, 2012
    Such an amazing and beautiful game,the best RPG of this generation no doubt, I feel really bad about the people who just bash and don't even try this game just for not have HD graphics or just for the fact that is a Wii game
  101. Apr 10, 2012
    What a fantastic experience! This game set's itself apart from other contemporary RPG's by one major thing: game play. There's so much to find, so much to vary in terms of equipment and customization, that makes you wonder why it all went missing in other current generation games. Even the presentation looks vivid and uses the capabilities of the Wii, which is technically sub par withWhat a fantastic experience! This game set's itself apart from other contemporary RPG's by one major thing: game play. There's so much to find, so much to vary in terms of equipment and customization, that makes you wonder why it all went missing in other current generation games. Even the presentation looks vivid and uses the capabilities of the Wii, which is technically sub par with other platforms, to it's limits.
    Everything moves, changes, the world comes alive in a vast continuous stream. Day and night cycles included. Personally, I found the british speakers refreshing and the dialogue well written, not what you'd expect from a japanese RPG.
    Last but ultimately the most rewarding is the actual combat and rpg battle system: you'll feel at home if you've played either WoW or Final Fantasy XII, the combat just flows in realtime, tactical options always more important than hack n slash tactics. Make no mistake though: this game urges you to pay attention to the moment-to-moment proceedings, in order to maximize your attacks. Tons of monsters with different weaknesses and tactics, sub-bosses and challenges on the way make combat worthwhile.

#1 Most Discussed Wii Game of 2012
#1 Most Shared Wii Game of 2012

1. May 24, 2012
    Xenoblade may not be the greatest JRPG ever, but it's certainly one of the best games on the Nintendo Wii.
  2. Apr 19, 2012
    There's a lot more to recommend Xenoblade Chronicles. The dialogue, the humor, the artwork, the prophecy system, the music, the variety of environments, the character progression, the crafting system, the crazy quest density, the quest quality, the memorable characters, the collectibles, the secrets, and so on. This is a landmark achievement in the genre. As of its release, you can no longer talk about great RPGs, or maybe even great games, without also talking about Xenoblade Chronicles.
  3. Apr 12, 2012
    Xenoblade Chronicles is the sort of precious jRPG that this recent console generation has sorely lacked. Despite some missteps and over-complication, the game stands out as one of the best in recent years. Xenoblade creates a world simply begging to be explored.