8.8

1. Jun 8, 2012
    This is one of the best games of the 2010's so far. Its advanced combat system, gameplay, music, story, visuals, and sidequests can keep you entertained for 100+ hours. Its the best wii game available.
  2. Apr 10, 2012
    Xenoblade Chronicles, is one of the most amazing games that I can play, the story is fantastic, the characters interesting, and the graphics are beautiful, the gameplay, OMG! I feel like an excellent RPG, this game is a biggest sorprise and the better game of the year.
  3. May 7, 2014
    One of the best games I have played. It has everything you would expect from a jrpg. Great story, interesting characters you come to care about, a ton of quests (and yes some are annoying). The only issue I have is that you can't buy advanced skill books (not that you need them that much once you level up considerably). If you haven't played it I definitely recommend you do. The game alsoOne of the best games I have played. It has everything you would expect from a jrpg. Great story, interesting characters you come to care about, a ton of quests (and yes some are annoying). The only issue I have is that you can't buy advanced skill books (not that you need them that much once you level up considerably). If you haven't played it I definitely recommend you do. The game also works on Dolphin emulator without any significant problems (Only a little audio issue here and there). Expand
  4. Jun 24, 2013
    Xenoblade Chronicles is the best JRPG I've played in years. Every aspect of the game shines, offering a unique and amazing experience.
    The gameplay is top notch, boasting a new and interesting combat system that never seems to get old, even 60+ hours into the game. The characters, too, are very well done. All of the characters in the story are interesting, well voiced, extremely British, and not annoying (except Riki, who is the embodiment of annoyance).
    The story of the game is great mainly due to the game's setting atop two massive titans called the Bionis and the Mechonis. It is full of plot twists and character development which keeps the it interesting.
    The very best aspect of this game is its music, which is nothing short of masterful. The very best memory I have of this game involves entering a grand and expansive location, only then to be greeted by the best song in game. Every track suits the scenery it accompanies.
    The only fault people have with this game are the graphics. However, as far as Wii games go, the graphics aren't half bad. When looking at things up close, they might seem to be rather ugly. However, when viewing giant new areas, the game looks gorgeous.
    Take all these aspects and combine them with a nonlinear and lengthy experience, and you get an excellent JRPG and one of the Wii's best games.
    9.4/10
  5. May 25, 2013
    Xenoblade is definitely one of the most interesting RPGs of this generation and for many several good reasons that in most RPGs nowadays are either removed, not present, or just forgotten. For starters, we HAVE exploration! YES, we can finally explore areas once again, even though there's no real world map but it is still a great thing to have, with extremely huge areas with details,Xenoblade is definitely one of the most interesting RPGs of this generation and for many several good reasons that in most RPGs nowadays are either removed, not present, or just forgotten. For starters, we HAVE exploration! YES, we can finally explore areas once again, even though there's no real world map but it is still a great thing to have, with extremely huge areas with details, enemies to fight, and add also that we get sub quests (which can be either annoying, or simple, but they are there!), this game has already a lot of stuff to give. We also get a very nice relation system that even though I don't remember exactly doing much (it was more useful for later part of the games), it's nice to have...but I'll go back to it later. The combat also is pretty good and, ACTUALLY, mix the turn based and action based combat pretty well: infact you actually have a good control over the combat, with hotkeys like in an MMORPG (skill trees included), and your compagnion work and act properly well, because they usually have a role; for example, Melia is the mage (and the only one not very good with an AI, for me at least), Reyn is a "tank", and Sharla is a healer, and so forth, and that even makes combination with your team mates pretty interesting, since they are all pretty unique in their way. And for last, but not the least, a detail that I really really liked of this game...the armors actually CHANGE your appearance, and the armors are extremely detailed and good looking! "Applauds" Bravo, I was really stunned by this, since that in 99% of RPGs (not including Western RPGs), the armor customization is literally zero. I'm pretty sure I'm being vague on the game details, combat and stuff, but it's because these are extremely good and well made, with few flaws that barely are remarkable. Except for the story. While the game itself is great...the story is flatout one of the worst I've ever seen but for ALL the wrong reasons. One of these reasons is that...it's SO predictable! I'm not kidding when I say that even the GAME COVER is a spoiler (just analyze the name Xenoblade...yeah, it's what you think. Yeah, it's a vital part of the game later on). But what about the story itself? It's not bad but I was able to predict any kind of twist, plot devices, character motivations....ANYTHING! I'm not saying this game is bad because the story is not original, but PLEASE at least tell it properly and without being too predictable: the only unpredictable thing of the story, was the the ending! Infact, I mentioned about the relation between characters, which usually means that behaving accordingly with certain characters usually will lead to a different ending: in this game, it serves only for getting either achievements and other stuff, and that's it...and that was such a waste because, actually, the game gives you ways to make up friendship with your team mates, and that helped me to like certain characters because they had their motivations. But then, if the game will have one ending, why giving us a fake trace of multiple endings by giving us the chance of interacting with the people of the game! Perhaps I'm overreacting over it, but that to me was a major flaw, because the ending is also weak and left me unsatisfied. But still...this is a good game and I honestly encourage to try it out, because it's both fun to play and very long to complete, due to the explorations, the skill trees to unlock, the subquests, the relationship building (even if not that great), the combat being fun and smooth (still, we can't dodge by moving away...), and so much more. But the story really didn't get me and I was really disappointed by it. Definitely a game to play and try, especially if you have a lot of time to spare. Expand
  6. Aug 22, 2012
    Xenoblade Chronicles is by far and away one of the best RPGs of this generation, one of the best games on the WII and even one of the best I've played since RPG's like Dragon Warrior 8 and Rogue Galaxy. Graphics wise this game isn't good, no question. For what it can do however it is not terrible. Landscapes and areas are designed well. It's just the power of the WII holding back whatXenoblade Chronicles is by far and away one of the best RPGs of this generation, one of the best games on the WII and even one of the best I've played since RPG's like Dragon Warrior 8 and Rogue Galaxy. Graphics wise this game isn't good, no question. For what it can do however it is not terrible. Landscapes and areas are designed well. It's just the power of the WII holding back what would truly be a great vision. Character models are not terrible either, they have a strong resemblance to Final Fantasy 12's characters. Controls I have no complaints either. Having the controller that came with Monster Hunter Tri makes so many games more playable for me on the WII. I'm no fan of motion controls. The voice acting is a little annoying at first but after a while you do get used to it. Sounds and music are fantastic. The quests did eventually get a bit redundant and just downright annoying. In barely a week I had 60 hours into the game and I had completed more then 250 side quests. Now this wouldn't be bad normally but this game requires you to do these side quests to level up... If you decide to skip them you could end up being vastly under leveled. Killing normal enemies did not seem to reap much reward so leveling up on normal monsters I felt was out of the question, you are basically left with not much option. This does eliminate the traditional grinding that so many people find annoying, but searching for rare collectable items and killing so and so unique monsters that have conditions to spawn is just as bad if not worse then mindless button mashing to kill enemies. It's not all bad - the story does keep you strapped into the game and leave you wondering what happens next. Exploring areas is fun as well. This games only flaw I feel is the amount of side quests put into the game. I play more PS3 and 360 games then I do WII and I can honestly say I wish this game was on either console. Xenoblade's only major flaw is that it is being constrained by the WII's specs. Overall though it's a great game and should be picked up for RPG fans. Expand
  7. Jan 14, 2013
    Xenoblade is the greatest RPG of this generation and one of the best games on the Nintendo Wii . An epic adventure, beauty and there is still plenty of magic and fantasy. I hope we'll see more from this game in the future.
  8. Mar 24, 2014
    This game will consume your soul for approximately 100 hours, it's like going on a journey to heaven, if heaven was a JRPG. Cheesecakes are at stake here (not really). Mmm cheesecakes...
  9. Jan 25, 2013
    This game has a ridiculously high metacritic score. You will find tons of adoring reviews.

Every one of these is utter garbage. Xenoblade is tripe. The game is deeply, deeply, deeply flawed. Its just bad. Where to begin? Firstly, most people go to RPGs for the story. This game has a terrible story. The SETTING is cool - indeed, it is a major selling point for the game - but sadly,

Every one of these is utter garbage. Xenoblade is tripe.

The game is deeply, deeply, deeply flawed. Its just bad. Where to begin?

Firstly, most people go to RPGs for the story. This game has a terrible story. The SETTING is cool - indeed, it is a major selling point for the game - but sadly, while the WORLD is cool... the characters inhabiting it are not. The game commits the cardinal sin of having a deeply boring cast. Shulk and Reyn are boring generic characters whose quest is driven by revenge, Melia is a generic princess who is coming to see what the other people see, and Riki is just an annoying little thing. Dunban and Sharla are okay, but they're unexceptional. The other characters in the world are mostly quite boring, with only a handful holding any real interest.

Worse still, there is a ridiculous amount of filler. Indeed, the game is mostly filler. There are sidequests galore, which are necessary to unlock many skills, but if you do them you end up hilariously overlevelled - I often was 10-15 levels above the level of the area after the start of the game. If you skip them, some of them are timed lost forevers, and the rest are even more tedious once you've left the area as there's just no reason to run around for them. This also spaces out the time it takes to actually get through the story - you do some story, then A BILLION SIDEQUESTS, then another hour of story, then A BILLION MORE, ect. Its terrible pacing.

The areas are nicely designed, but even there the game falls down. The areas look decent (though the graphics are not great - and it isn't just that it is on the Wii) but the areas are ENORMOUS. This sounds like a good thing, but it is actually really terrible as it takes a very long time to simply cross the areas. Oh, and the game rewards you for exploring, with better rewards than the quests, so you'd better do it - and worse still, there are teleporters which let you quick travel back through the areas, which are mandatory for making doing the sidequests tolerable, but you can miss some of them, meaning you end up finding them later while on your way back from some inconvenient to get to area. Joy.

The combat is bad. The AI is not very smart - in fact, it is quite dumb - and there's no control over it. Some characters are just useless under AI control, while others work quite well, so its clearly just incompetence. Unfortunately this also means you never want to control some characters, as their AI is good enough, and other characters you can't put in as NPCs in your party because they don't behave intelligently. The only good thing is the "changing the future" thing, which adds in some actual interactivity.

So yeah. The game is huge, extremely long, but a very empty and not terribly fun experience. Avoid it.
  10. Aug 4, 2012
    The best jRPG in years, maybe the best RPG of this generation (still haven't played Last Story and Skryim is too different for comparison), and one of the best Wii games to date. 'nuff said.
  11. Apr 15, 2012
    This is exactly what the genre needed. It toes the line between being respectful to the conventions of the genre, whilst tweaking said conventions to create a game which feels undeniably modern. From an engaging plot with a unique setting (the corpses of two titans!) to the exciting battle mechanics which combine real-time combat and turn-based strategy... Xenoblade is a blast to play.This is exactly what the genre needed. It toes the line between being respectful to the conventions of the genre, whilst tweaking said conventions to create a game which feels undeniably modern. From an engaging plot with a unique setting (the corpses of two titans!) to the exciting battle mechanics which combine real-time combat and turn-based strategy... Xenoblade is a blast to play. About the only knock on this game is the technical aspects of the visuals. Limited by the Wii's horsepower, this is to be expected. Thankfully, inspired art direction serves to mask these flaws. If you own a Wii... you need to play Xenoblade Chronicles. Expand
  12. Nov 2, 2013
    I played about 25 hours and I have to say that this is the pinnacle of Wii games. I will not finish due to being a week away from the PS4 release. But what I have played is a jrpg at its best. Story, gameplay, graphics and sound are all top notch for the Wii. Just play this with the pro controller and not the nunchucks like I did. This is a 75+ hour game so just be warned.
  13. Nov 11, 2011
    Xenoblade is one of the greatest JRPGs ever made. It takes everything that we love in JRPGs, the epic stories, crazy characters, and unique art and merges it with all the latest positive aspects of modern RPGs and MMOs. Gone is the tedium and grinding of old-school RPGs, rather, the combat puts you in control, and the travel system helps keep things moving. Plus this game is open-world, soXenoblade is one of the greatest JRPGs ever made. It takes everything that we love in JRPGs, the epic stories, crazy characters, and unique art and merges it with all the latest positive aspects of modern RPGs and MMOs. Gone is the tedium and grinding of old-school RPGs, rather, the combat puts you in control, and the travel system helps keep things moving. Plus this game is open-world, so you get a fantastic story combined with free roaming. ++++ It's just a dang shame so few people will play this game, because at the risk of speaking blasphemy, it's superior to Xenogears and just about any other JRPG. A must-play if you like RPGs. Expand
  14. Sep 12, 2014
    Simply the best rpg for the Wii. The story is pretty good and far away from the familiar (standard) rpg settings. Most plot twists will surprise you but fell never fake / factitious. The characters always bring a smile on my face. Especially Shulk and Fiora are deep characters outside off beaten tracks (Honorable mention: Melia and Dunban). The character development in this game is doneSimply the best rpg for the Wii. The story is pretty good and far away from the familiar (standard) rpg settings. Most plot twists will surprise you but fell never fake / factitious. The characters always bring a smile on my face. Especially Shulk and Fiora are deep characters outside off beaten tracks (Honorable mention: Melia and Dunban). The character development in this game is done very well. The graphics are O.K for me. Some will say the graphic looks dated but the game world is really nice. The soundtrack is in the top 10 for the Wii. Overall a must own game for the Wii. Expand
  15. Nov 22, 2011
    A fantastic game. The environments are stunning even though the graphics are pretty awful even for Wii. The gameplay is interesting and will keep you occupied for a long time in its length.
  16. Apr 9, 2012
    Xenoblade Chronicles can go toe-to-toe with such JRPG classics as Chrono Trigger, Suikoden, and Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, and there's no denying that it fills a major role-playing void on the Wii. But to get my one and only gripe out of the way, let me just say this - by no fault of the game itself, players won't be able to shake the feeling that Xenoblade should have been madeXenoblade Chronicles can go toe-to-toe with such JRPG classics as Chrono Trigger, Suikoden, and Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, and there's no denying that it fills a major role-playing void on the Wii. But to get my one and only gripe out of the way, let me just say this - by no fault of the game itself, players won't be able to shake the feeling that Xenoblade should have been made on an HD-capable console. While Xenoblade Chronicles is an astounding technical achievement that makes use of every ounce of processing power it can squaeeze out of Wii's hardware, it still doesn't look much better than a decade-old PS2 RPG. As jaw-dropping as some of its environments and sweeping set pieces may be, the game's blurry textures and low-polygon models are a constant reminder of the platform's limitations. That being said, good gameplay should always trump graphical prowess, especially in the RPG genre, and Xenoblade delivers some major innovations in that department. The game successfully mixes the best parts of Japanese and Western development while bringing a few new concepts to the table. At first, it may strike the player as an offline MMO, with its real-time auto-attacks and a skill bar that lines the bottom of the screen during combat, but it's not that simple. There are a ton of ways to interact with enemies, whether it's instigating a battle, evading more aggressive mobs, dodging attacks that would automatically land in a typical MMO setup, or strategically positioning characters to exploit enemy weaknesses and distractions. Aside from combat, exploration and party management features are equally impressive. Equipment changes are visualized, enhancement slots allow you to constantly evolve the armor and weapons you like, crafting is deep yet intuitive, and even questing has been drastically streamlined over the MMO contemporaries that inspired its basic structure. The world itself is massive and very original in its design, as sweeping landscapes are interwoven in a way that makes every vista and cliff face recognizable, thus eliminating a constant reliance on maps and objective pointers. I also thoroughly enjoy the addition of social elements, which allow for relationships between party members, unlock special scenes, and even track the interpersonal connections of NPCs. Xenoblade impresses on a lot of fronts, and it's all highly intuitive. Also, unlike a majority of JRPGs that have been released in recent years, the story is almost immediately engaging and enjoyable, and despite the strength of its narrative, the entire experience remains non-linear and highly customizable. Japanese development has seemed reluctant to let go of its past conventions and typically linear storytelling techniques, so Xenoblade is solid proof that innovation is not only still possible, but now highly encouraged by the instantly classic and commercially successful precedent of Xenoblade Chronicles. While I could certainly go into greater depth with the game's individual systems, the points I have already made should be more than enough to convince RPG fans to buy the game as soon as possible. Play it for yourself, and as long as you can get over the fact that the game only exists on the technically limited and aging Wii, Xenoblade will almost certainly gain a permanent place in your RPG collection. Expand
  17. Aug 4, 2014
    Took me awhile to rate this game and write a review because the game is literally 100+ hours to complete fully. This is an epic Wii title and also one of the rarest games to obtain as well. Im still baffled that this game is on Wii; didn't know that the Wii had the power to handle it. This game is massive with amazing areas to explore, beautiful soundtrack that i actually downloaded on myTook me awhile to rate this game and write a review because the game is literally 100+ hours to complete fully. This is an epic Wii title and also one of the rarest games to obtain as well. Im still baffled that this game is on Wii; didn't know that the Wii had the power to handle it. This game is massive with amazing areas to explore, beautiful soundtrack that i actually downloaded on my music list personally, characters that are awesome, and the battle system that lives up to Final Fantasy standards with an added intensity boost. This game has so many things to do, that you will find yourself lost in the game figuring out what to do next. A must buy(if you can afford/find one) for the Wii. Excellent Game!! Expand
  18. Aug 7, 2013
    This game is the best JRPG I've played in a long time! It's story, dialogues, gameplay, graphics and also it's music (which is made by Yoko, who made the music for Kingdom Hearts, too) are all really good!
    I recommend it to you, if you have a Nintendo Wii!
  19. May 24, 2013
    A pretty good game overall, and one of the best RPGs i've played in some time. The story is great, the gameplay is pretty good, and most of the characters are pretty awesome. However the reason this game doesn't get a 10/10 is that it simply includes too many small flaws.

First of all one of the things that annoyed me quite a bit about the game is the difficulty: The enemies and bosses actually have a fine difficulty to keep the game challenging without being to hard there's just one problem: If you don't stay and farm in each place you won't be able to keep on the same level as your opponents and then the game gets far too hard. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if the game actually had a decent side-quest system, but unfurturnately it doesn't. The sidequest are repetetive, boring and aren't very rewarding.

Another big flaw with the game is with building your team. The characters simply aren't properly balanced with some of them being almost useless. And if you want to keep your team as strong as possible there's only like 2 combinations that work. There's quite a few other flaws like some enemies having way too much thorns when toppled and some other stuff, but i didn't want to write it all here. But it's a pretty fine game anyways so if your not the type that goes to much into the details, but simply wants a good story and decent combat, then this is a game for you.
  20. Oct 28, 2014
    There's a reason (or many) for ALWAYS owning the nintendo console of the moment, and this is one of them, alright ps3 had more rpgs (which i loved) but wii got the best one of its generation!

The main point of this game is the story, specially the ending which is mind blowing, the soundtrack is also epic and a must have on cd. Battles are incredible too, never got bored of them after 90 hours of playing!

The only downside i see to this incredible game is that it gets repetitive a little bit after a while, the dungeons have no imagination, you just walk and battle thats ALL you're going to do in them, no puzzle element at all. So why did they made them SO big! So many in this game is big for the sake of being big!

Both the organic world and the machine world are a joy to behold, and the game's filled with amazing characters, LOVE the choice of british voices for the characters, they should do that always, american dubbing has ruined great games like the tales series (which i rather put in mute!).

You cannot go wrong with xenoblade chronicles, is the rpg fan wet dream.
  21. Jul 16, 2012
    Xenoblade takes the Wii and really makes it work! The graphics are solid(though definitely not the best such as Metroid Prime 3 or Galaxy) and the music is among the best soundtracks I have ever heard. The gameplay is fast and interesting and overall the package is just great. But despite all these factors, it just doesn't feel particularly memorable. The quest system feels like aXenoblade takes the Wii and really makes it work! The graphics are solid(though definitely not the best such as Metroid Prime 3 or Galaxy) and the music is among the best soundtracks I have ever heard. The gameplay is fast and interesting and overall the package is just great. But despite all these factors, it just doesn't feel particularly memorable. The quest system feels like a skeleton, often asking you simply to kill some monsters or gather materials on the field. These are not Zelda side quests with interesting back stories or lots of unexpected twists and turns. The first 15 or so hours can leave one wishing for more interesting characters, and the cutscenes, while nice, don't feature lip syncing which is a real letdown. This is balanced out by the amazing British accents in the game though :) Overall, a solid JRPG that simply doesn't standout too much to this weary gamer who has probably played a few too many JRPGs in his life. Expand
  22. Nov 27, 2012
    This is quite possibly the best RPG of this generation, and in my own eyes a contender for the best RPG of all time. The fact that this game looks as good as it does, sounds as good as it does, and has such an epic scale on such limited hardware is truly awe-inspiring. This game is massive! The combat system is fluid and dynamic, the characters and story are well rounded, the soundtrackThis is quite possibly the best RPG of this generation, and in my own eyes a contender for the best RPG of all time. The fact that this game looks as good as it does, sounds as good as it does, and has such an epic scale on such limited hardware is truly awe-inspiring. This game is massive! The combat system is fluid and dynamic, the characters and story are well rounded, the soundtrack hits all the right notes. The Wii maybe the laughing stock of a lot of gamers, but this achievement is proof that hardware does not make the game. The games make the hardware. Expand
  23. Oct 24, 2011
    Awesome game and I hope the US get this game. Have not finished it yet but I see that there are many hours ahead of me with this game!!! RPG mechanics are awesome and story is pretty good so far. Tons of sidequests as well.
  24. Oct 13, 2014
    Not only is this game the best RPG I have ever played, but it is overall the best game I have ever played. It features an expansive world, a long storyline with many plot twists. The characters are likeable, there are DOZENS of quests and things to do, such as item hunting and raising affinity among party members or within the world itself.
  25. Mar 25, 2014
    To this day I am simply dumbfounded by how impressive this game's open world is. Contrary to the "corridorization" of recent RPGs, Xenoblade Chronicles opts to immerse the player in a beautifully designed world.

Oh, it also has one of the best soundtracks to ever grace this medium.
  26. Jul 27, 2014
    this overrated tittle... The story isn't any special to me , good music , good graphic but worst fighting system in this kind of game ... it isn't worst game i ever played , but it just disappointed me because the game play really somehow boring and isn't fun to me
  27. Jul 4, 2012
    This game is ridiculously magnetic, and unlike many jrpgs has left me craving for more. From the sprawling locales, the beautiful skylines, and the amazing soundtrack to the wonderful gameplay and accessibility, this game is stunning. However it's not without its faults, including bad lip sync and repetitive questing. Don't let those deter your decision to buy this game, since that wouldThis game is ridiculously magnetic, and unlike many jrpgs has left me craving for more. From the sprawling locales, the beautiful skylines, and the amazing soundtrack to the wonderful gameplay and accessibility, this game is stunning. However it's not without its faults, including bad lip sync and repetitive questing. Don't let those deter your decision to buy this game, since that would be a bad mistake. Expand
  28. Dec 1, 2012
    Masterpiece JRPG overworld that describes this game. I will play this game over and over again Killing those little buggers. This a video game and developers should take note because you want your game to be like this. The con could be graphics and texture, but it is not because it is more than that. I have played this for over 200 hours and more.
  29. Apr 19, 2012
    Xenoblade Chronicles will immerse you in an imaginative, epic world begging to be explored.
    Aesthetically, it's an incredibly evocative, beautiful game; you'll often feel as if you're playing
    an Impressionistic painting. Combat is fun and strategic---- shared with charming companions.
    Innovative as well as nostalgic RPG elements create an engrossing, captivating experience.
  30. Feb 26, 2013
    Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the best RPGs I have ever played. Monolith Soft created a wonderful gameplay environment that is one of the best I've ever experienced. The story was good but not great but when added to the wonderful gameplay, massive environments, fun characters and interesting settings of the game it definitely deserves a 10/10.

1. May 24, 2012
    Xenoblade may not be the greatest JRPG ever, but it's certainly one of the best games on the Nintendo Wii.
  2. Apr 19, 2012
    There's a lot more to recommend Xenoblade Chronicles. The dialogue, the humor, the artwork, the prophecy system, the music, the variety of environments, the character progression, the crafting system, the crazy quest density, the quest quality, the memorable characters, the collectibles, the secrets, and so on. This is a landmark achievement in the genre. As of its release, you can no longer talk about great RPGs, or maybe even great games, without also talking about Xenoblade Chronicles.
  3. Apr 12, 2012
    Xenoblade Chronicles is the sort of precious jRPG that this recent console generation has sorely lacked. Despite some missteps and over-complication, the game stands out as one of the best in recent years. Xenoblade creates a world simply begging to be explored.