8.8

1. Nov 15, 2011
    One of the best JRPGs of this generation, with a compelling story, great characters, an amazing soundtrack and over 100 hours of gameplay, this is definitely a must have.
  2. Nov 17, 2011
    Everything is in place to make you play one of the best rpg of all time. Monolith soft has done everything right The story is amazing, it drives you into it from the start. The soundtrack is astounding, one of the best music I've heard in my entire life. The gameplay mechanics are marvelous . The game lets you discover and reach everything you see even if it is a far little small islandEverything is in place to make you play one of the best rpg of all time. Monolith soft has done everything right The story is amazing, it drives you into it from the start. The soundtrack is astounding, one of the best music I've heard in my entire life. The gameplay mechanics are marvelous . The game lets you discover and reach everything you see even if it is a far little small island you can swim to it . Overall I give this game a 10 because this is a masterpiece bar none Expand
  3. Nov 20, 2011
    One of the biggest masterpiece of Nintendo Wii. This JRPG has the new essence of how to develop a work of art with respect a role games. With a timeless story, gameplay and sound, Monolith Soft achieves the perfect balance in a generation to forget with relation to the JRPG.
  4. Nov 14, 2011
    AWESOME. best rpg in years. sure the graphics let it down, but not to the point that after a few hours of gameplay you will still notice. once you are used to the look you get to the absolutely compelling story... better than any movie i've watched this year, and i am 115 hours in and sure i've done over 300 of the side missions, but still 115 hours of gameplay and more to come. quality gaming.
  5. Jul 2, 2012
    it is the best j rpg i have ever played and its the best game of this generation. this game has alot of gameplay because of its sidequets. the game never gets boring and the boss fights were challenging. anyone who does not have it should get this now
  6. Apr 10, 2012
    Xenoblade Chronicles, is one of the most amazing games that I can play, the story is fantastic, the characters interesting, and the graphics are beautiful, the gameplay, OMG! I feel like an excellent RPG, this game is a biggest sorprise and the better game of the year.
  7. Nov 9, 2011
    Wish they would bring this to the US.. all i hear is how great this game is and we in the US are screwed because it wont be released here. I really think Nintendo is sabotaging the Wii this year here because they are focusing on the 3DS and the WiiU
  8. Nov 22, 2011
    Très grand RPG le meilleur de cette génération de consoles ! Clairement , un bon 10/10 pour m'avoir enchanter de nombreuses heures. Ã
  9. Mar 25, 2014
    To this day I am simply dumbfounded by how impressive this game's open world is. Contrary to the "corridorization" of recent RPGs, Xenoblade Chronicles opts to immerse the player in a beautifully designed world.

Oh, it also has one of the best soundtracks to ever grace this medium.
  10. May 7, 2014
    One of the best games I have played. It has everything you would expect from a jrpg. Great story, interesting characters you come to care about, a ton of quests (and yes some are annoying). The only issue I have is that you can't buy advanced skill books (not that you need them that much once you level up considerably). If you haven't played it I definitely recommend you do. The game alsoOne of the best games I have played. It has everything you would expect from a jrpg. Great story, interesting characters you come to care about, a ton of quests (and yes some are annoying). The only issue I have is that you can't buy advanced skill books (not that you need them that much once you level up considerably). If you haven't played it I definitely recommend you do. The game also works on Dolphin emulator without any significant problems (Only a little audio issue here and there). Expand
  11. May 22, 2015
    Cool game but way too highly praised for what it does. Except for world and music, which are really great, there isn't much I could find to like in this game.
  12. Sep 24, 2013
    I really tried to like this game, i invested a good 7-8 hours before i put it down.
    Although the start seemed quite promising after an hour or so i knew i wasn't going to like it. So what killed it for me? Basically everything felt really shallow, slow and repetitive. The side quests just became an annoyance after a while. Usually i try to finish most RPG's with all secrets items you name it. But the amount of pointless MMO type quests packed into this is just ridiculous.
    I was hoping the storyline would save the game and despite my initial drawbacks to play it, i would have ploughed through for stories sake. But sadly it didn't deliver on this front either, It just felt very shallow and fake like it didn't really know where it was headed itself.
    You might enjoy but don't go in with very high expectations
  13. Jul 16, 2012
    Xenoblade takes the Wii and really makes it work! The graphics are solid(though definitely not the best such as Metroid Prime 3 or Galaxy) and the music is among the best soundtracks I have ever heard. The gameplay is fast and interesting and overall the package is just great. But despite all these factors, it just doesn't feel particularly memorable. The quest system feels like aXenoblade takes the Wii and really makes it work! The graphics are solid(though definitely not the best such as Metroid Prime 3 or Galaxy) and the music is among the best soundtracks I have ever heard. The gameplay is fast and interesting and overall the package is just great. But despite all these factors, it just doesn't feel particularly memorable. The quest system feels like a skeleton, often asking you simply to kill some monsters or gather materials on the field. These are not Zelda side quests with interesting back stories or lots of unexpected twists and turns. The first 15 or so hours can leave one wishing for more interesting characters, and the cutscenes, while nice, don't feature lip syncing which is a real letdown. This is balanced out by the amazing British accents in the game though :) Overall, a solid JRPG that simply doesn't standout too much to this weary gamer who has probably played a few too many JRPGs in his life. Expand
  14. Nov 20, 2012
    A strikingly mediocre attempt at Final Fantasy XII.

A strikingly mediocre attempt at Final Fantasy XII.

Sure, the story's flashy, but if you truly appreciate character customization, detailed equipment, and RPG-immersion, this is not the game for you. Expect no diversity of character or game-play; there are no "professions", absolutely no "magics" or "techniques" worth mentioning, and don't even think you will get to focus your characters strengths -- everything, including the "skills", is preset. It's reception baffles me. Have RPG-s really been this diluted? If you're 12 years old, though, the repetitive, simplistic tools that they give you to achieve a goal might be enough to immerse you.
  15. Jul 9, 2012
    RPG is my favorite genre and this is the first and the only RPG I would ever give under 7. Combat system tries to be creative but it feels really clumsy and boring. It's like D&D system without pause or character swap. You need to press right and left to select skills from the bar which is reaaally annoying in a long run. I mean why could they just have used skill wheel instead of skillRPG is my favorite genre and this is the first and the only RPG I would ever give under 7. Combat system tries to be creative but it feels really clumsy and boring. It's like D&D system without pause or character swap. You need to press right and left to select skills from the bar which is reaaally annoying in a long run. I mean why could they just have used skill wheel instead of skill bar. Enemies can be avoided by going around them even at situations where you're clearly supposed to kill them to get past them and sometimes they won't even react if you run directly towards them. You need to push down C and use all of the other buttons to adjust camera angle all the time because the game can't do it properly. Heck at one time I think I got some sort of "can't see a **** achievement in the middle of a battle. Game mechanics take forever to figure out, the tutorial doesn't feel like it's enough. Mainly because common things like stun, knockdown, etc. are named daze, topple or something else you've never seen used in any other game. Quests are "kill X parrots" style like in MMOs without any further depth or interesting storylines. As you get in higher level areas you just keep seeing same enemies with different names and in different colors. Characters are uninteresting and the story is mediocre. I know I could've spelled this all better and in better english but I honestly don't feel like I should waste any more time even thinking about this game. Expand
  16. Apr 27, 2013
    I can't believe this game got so many good reviews. I gave it a good 15 hours and I was very disappointed in the "EPIC, AMAZING, AWESOME JRPG". It's total trash. The battle system is excruciatingly boring and dumb. It's the same thing over and over and over. If I wanted a mindless button masher, I would have played God of War. The AI is useless. The quests are boring and dumb. TheI can't believe this game got so many good reviews. I gave it a good 15 hours and I was very disappointed in the "EPIC, AMAZING, AWESOME JRPG". It's total trash. The battle system is excruciatingly boring and dumb. It's the same thing over and over and over. If I wanted a mindless button masher, I would have played God of War. The AI is useless. The quests are boring and dumb. The game...is boring and dumb. Maybe I just hate action rpg's but I just don't see it. It's mind blowing. I gave it a 3 for the soundtrack. Expand
  17. Nov 30, 2013
    Bear with me, as this review will be completely opposite to popular opinion. So I bought this game from the gamestop 40 dollar pre-owned black friday deal, and I was stoked as I could finally get this game cheap..this rare game that was praised so much.
    So I buy it and I play it. The introduction seemed pretty cool: these two robots face off against each other and the humans (or homs or whatever) try to fight off the little robots with this badass sword. That's all fine and dandy. Instantly once the gameplay begins, I start to doubt the game. First off, WHY IS THERE A JUMP FEATURE? The jump only goes horizontally and has absolutely no vertical height whatsoever..so what's the point? Second, the combat seemed awful. All you're doing is pushing the d-pad left and right and pressing A..that's it. Your character automatically attacks the opponent while you just walk around and toggle the sword icons. I figured, fine, maybe there are more mechanics later on. And no surprise there were. However, these mechanics just came off as dull and uninteresting. The triple attack (where the gauge is three bars full) has got to be the dullest thing I've seen. It's literally just the characters attacking with a regular sword swing against the enemy while the enemy can't move..just one enemy..this can't be done with more than one. There's no epic combo with the three or anything, just three separate sword swings...really worth those three bars....
    Not only that, but when you fight the enemy, the characters DONT SHUT THE UP! They keep giving these cheering speeches nonstop throughout the fight. And you can't turn this off, either. So whenever you engage in battle you constantly hear those annoying speeches. Really prevents you from wanting to battle an enemy, really. The ally AI is also complete bullocks as they die so easily while barely doing any damage to the enemy. And when they do die, you have to revive them only if your team gague is one bar full..and only about 1/6th of their health is revived, as well..making it pointless as the enemy could just do another attack and the teammates a goner. And why does the person need to be "motivated" to fight again after they've lost? Really, game? Does any other JRPG do that?
    The game also heavily focuses on grinding. It's a JRPG, I get it, but without grinding the out of your characters, you won't be winning some of those battles. Luckily the game is forgiving in the sense that when you die, you respawn before the battle, so the need to do everything over again is not there.
    Also is it just me, or is it irritating that you can't go inside buildings unless the door is fully open in a JRPG? I mean in every other JRPG, you can go in any house and talk to the folks inside. What's the deal with Xenoblade?
    The characters themselves seem so one-dimensional...maybe it's because I haven't gotten past 2 and a half hours of the game, but they're just...boring. Shulk is just the "I want to beat them and get revenge" Reyn is the "I'm a smug and I'm kind of a clutz" while FIona is the "OMG I care for you guys so much, don't hurt yourselves." And it's obvious from the get-go that Fiona and Shulk are love interests...they really force that. The townsfolk have nothing interesting to say either...and while I haven't done the sidequests yet, I've heard they're chores rather than actual quests.
    The number of tutorials also irks me. I think you can turn it off, but for first-timers, these tutorials are necessary. It's just, there's way too many, and the way the tutorials work is also annoying. Games need to take notes from the 90's and allow the player to teach him/herself the game through the gameplay rather than use 3 paragraph texts for each new mechanic.
    The graphics also make me cringe. For a game that's extremely long and has such a huge world to explore, why are the graphics equivalent to a PS1 title? I know it's the Wii, but the console can do much more.

You know a game isn't going to be enjoyable when all these flaws are apparent in just the first two and half hours of the game. First impressions are everything, and if you can't woo the player in within the first two and a half hours, then you're really doing something wrong. I just don't see how I could enjoy this game if my opinion on it are this bad already.
    There are some good things though: I love the music to this game..my god is the music fantastic. In fact I'm listening to the OST as I'm typing this review. It's just beautiful. I also love the voice acting; great job on the actors' part. I also think that the story has some promise as some of the cutscenes intrigued me (although the amount of cutscenes (too many) is another problem I have with this game.) But as far as positives go, that's all I can say, really. Not a positive review, but hey it's an opinion.
    I did go back and trade this for the Metroid Prime Trilogy, which I gotta say is amazing.
  18. Jan 25, 2013
    This game has a ridiculously high metacritic score. You will find tons of adoring reviews.

Every one of these is utter garbage. Xenoblade is tripe. The game is deeply, deeply, deeply flawed. Its just bad. Where to begin? Firstly, most people go to RPGs for the story. This game has a terrible story. The SETTING is cool - indeed, it is a major selling point for the game - but sadly,

Every one of these is utter garbage. Xenoblade is tripe.

The game is deeply, deeply, deeply flawed. Its just bad. Where to begin?

Firstly, most people go to RPGs for the story. This game has a terrible story. The SETTING is cool - indeed, it is a major selling point for the game - but sadly, while the WORLD is cool... the characters inhabiting it are not. The game commits the cardinal sin of having a deeply boring cast. Shulk and Reyn are boring generic characters whose quest is driven by revenge, Melia is a generic princess who is coming to see what the other people see, and Riki is just an annoying little thing. Dunban and Sharla are okay, but they're unexceptional. The other characters in the world are mostly quite boring, with only a handful holding any real interest.

Worse still, there is a ridiculous amount of filler. Indeed, the game is mostly filler. There are sidequests galore, which are necessary to unlock many skills, but if you do them you end up hilariously overlevelled - I often was 10-15 levels above the level of the area after the start of the game. If you skip them, some of them are timed lost forevers, and the rest are even more tedious once you've left the area as there's just no reason to run around for them. This also spaces out the time it takes to actually get through the story - you do some story, then A BILLION SIDEQUESTS, then another hour of story, then A BILLION MORE, ect. Its terrible pacing.

The areas are nicely designed, but even there the game falls down. The areas look decent (though the graphics are not great - and it isn't just that it is on the Wii) but the areas are ENORMOUS. This sounds like a good thing, but it is actually really terrible as it takes a very long time to simply cross the areas. Oh, and the game rewards you for exploring, with better rewards than the quests, so you'd better do it - and worse still, there are teleporters which let you quick travel back through the areas, which are mandatory for making doing the sidequests tolerable, but you can miss some of them, meaning you end up finding them later while on your way back from some inconvenient to get to area. Joy.

The combat is bad. The AI is not very smart - in fact, it is quite dumb - and there's no control over it. Some characters are just useless under AI control, while others work quite well, so its clearly just incompetence. Unfortunately this also means you never want to control some characters, as their AI is good enough, and other characters you can't put in as NPCs in your party because they don't behave intelligently. The only good thing is the "changing the future" thing, which adds in some actual interactivity.

So yeah. The game is huge, extremely long, but a very empty and not terribly fun experience. Avoid it.
  19. May 13, 2012
    Guys, I was really disappointed by this game and apparently I am completely alone. Maybe I bought into the hype/review scores too much, but I really wanted a meaty JRPG to drop some time into this summer, and it isn't this one. I've enjoyed the music, and the ability to switch on the Japanese audio track was an unexpected bonus. This is the end of the plus column for me.

The following is

The following is what I wish someone had told me before I bought the game: The first thing you'll notice is that the graphics are terrible. Graphics certainly aren't everything, but these are so dated, blocky, and low res that it's actually distracting. The menu system is also a giant step back; you have to go through a bunch of layers to do basic things like make an equipment change. The battle system is fine, I guess, although the camera can have trouble picking the right height. I feel like I don't really have much to do once I initiate a battle with any one of the dozens of identical creatures milling about. The Eurodub is marginal, although the Japanese one is decent. And I'm still relatively early on in the game, but the characters are standard fare if you've played a bunch of these things and there's nothing compelling me forward. Ultimately, the game feels like it dropped through a time warp from the year 2000. Although I loved PSO Online and Final Fantasy X at the time, I expect more now -- and not only on a hardware level. Dragon Quest IX is a great game, and far more hardware-constrained than Xenoblade Chronicles. There have been so many lessons about character design, narrative, play control, and interface design that I thought had been learned over the past decade that just aren't put to use here.

I'm sorry to poop all over a thing that people seem to love, and I don't downvote popular things just to prove how independent and edgy I am. It's because I dropped $50 on a game that I wanted to like, but have no interest in playing further. Obviously the development team put a lot of work into this, but it doesn't translate into something very fun for me, and at the end of the day, that's all I want from a game. That why I've given it a 5, and put a differing opinion out here.
  20. Jun 4, 2012
    A game of two halves. Starts off really good, slowly building into some large levels which are great for exploration but, as the combat gets more complicated, it degenerates into a mess and the later stages just become a tedious procession of button mashing of the same few actions. This would have benefited from having turn based combat instead of the real time version implemented. GoodA game of two halves. Starts off really good, slowly building into some large levels which are great for exploration but, as the combat gets more complicated, it degenerates into a mess and the later stages just become a tedious procession of button mashing of the same few actions. This would have benefited from having turn based combat instead of the real time version implemented. Good graphics and sound, shame the game became not fun. Expand
  21. Sep 19, 2013
    Xenoblade has to be the most underrated piece of video game ever made I paid $60 for this piece of garbage firstly lets talk about the story because its just boring and also just 100% predictable the gameplay is no better the combat system is bull**** its just real time combat where you press left or right on the d-pad to switch attacks also the game is extremely forgiving once you dieXenoblade has to be the most underrated piece of video game ever made I paid $60 for this piece of garbage firstly lets talk about the story because its just boring and also just 100% predictable the gameplay is no better the combat system is bull**** its just real time combat where you press left or right on the d-pad to switch attacks also the game is extremely forgiving once you die you just start at a check point and the graphics are rubbish even for a wii game now the locations are gorgeous shame the developers vomit all over the locations the music is perfect fits the atmosphere and is just entertaining and just plain awesome also the characters are just boring Final Fantasy 13-2 Tifa sluts I'd skip this game because of the extremely high price Expand
  22. Oct 31, 2011
    Un bon RPG proposant énormément d'exploration, de quêtes, une bonne bande son et un assez bon scénario(bien que tardant à demarrer).
    Mais son interface lourde, son côté très répétitif, son aspect MMORPG, son chara design fade et son rendu atroce sur TV HD lui empeche d'atteindre l'excellence
  23. Jul 27, 2014
    this overrated tittle... The story isn't any special to me , good music , good graphic but worst fighting system in this kind of game ... it isn't worst game i ever played , but it just disappointed me because the game play really somehow boring and isn't fun to me
  24. Jun 14, 2012
    It was OK. The gameplay is good: it has good voice acting, good battle system, the environments are nice and the soundtrack is great. Where the game completely drops the ball is the plot, and for an RPG that is a bad place to fail. The story is painfully cliched and overdone at worst and just plain boring at best. "Scenes," which are long and plenty, consist of spouting cheesy one-linersIt was OK. The gameplay is good: it has good voice acting, good battle system, the environments are nice and the soundtrack is great. Where the game completely drops the ball is the plot, and for an RPG that is a bad place to fail. The story is painfully cliched and overdone at worst and just plain boring at best. "Scenes," which are long and plenty, consist of spouting cheesy one-liners and talking over and over about nothing. The characters range from completely insufferable to boring to OK, the worst being the main lead Shulk, who is every annoying JRPG trope squished into one bland cliched package. Expand
  25. Mar 4, 2015
    I just recently became the lucky owner of this game... I don't know if i can do a review that gives justice to this game.

Normally i would assess the game on its individual merits but this game is too good for this, I will just discuss all things that are amazing. Affinity system and all things relating interaction amongst the PC and NPC of the game. The daunting size of the world

Affinity system and all things relating interaction amongst the PC and NPC of the game. The daunting size of the world and quest system, the beautiful scenery and amazing views, the depth of the world sucks you in like no other RPG has ever done. The world itself being 2 huge colossi that are dormant after an epic battle is quite possibly the greatest world I have ever encountered. I cannot stress enough that this game is absolutely amazing in all aspects and will leave you playing for well over 100 hours.
  26. May 5, 2015
    An irresistible mix of scifi and fantaey, in a beautiful, gorgeous even world with a great realtime combat system. The graphics are awesome, the characters likeable and the game is very relaxed yet motivating.
  27. Feb 17, 2015
    [Spanish]: Uno de los mejores RPG de la década y sin dudas el mejor para Wii, una buena historia junto a un mundo enorme para explorar, lleno de side-quests, variedad de enemigos y un combate dinámico que recuerda a títulos como Final Fantasy XII o White Knight Chronicles. Se puede jugar tanto con Wiimote+Nunchuck como con el Classic Controller, siendo relativamente cómodo con ambas opciones.
  28. Nov 2, 2013
    I played about 25 hours and I have to say that this is the pinnacle of Wii games. I will not finish due to being a week away from the PS4 release. But what I have played is a jrpg at its best. Story, gameplay, graphics and sound are all top notch for the Wii. Just play this with the pro controller and not the nunchucks like I did. This is a 75+ hour game so just be warned.
  29. Feb 24, 2015
    The best game that I have ever played.
    It is almost flawless, has more than beautiful areas, a superb soundtrack and a very deep storyline with some crazy twists.
    The battle system ist complex, fun, balanced and has a lot of variety. It will take some time to get used to, but when you master it, you will love it like I and many others did. BUY THIS GAME WHEN IT COMES OUT FOR Nintendo 3DS!
  30. Mar 16, 2015
    In one word: Perfection

Flawless Execution of story and gameplay

THE best RPG of seventh generation of consoles,and the only reason i have a wii

1. May 24, 2012
    Xenoblade may not be the greatest JRPG ever, but it's certainly one of the best games on the Nintendo Wii.
  2. Apr 19, 2012
    There's a lot more to recommend Xenoblade Chronicles. The dialogue, the humor, the artwork, the prophecy system, the music, the variety of environments, the character progression, the crafting system, the crazy quest density, the quest quality, the memorable characters, the collectibles, the secrets, and so on. This is a landmark achievement in the genre. As of its release, you can no longer talk about great RPGs, or maybe even great games, without also talking about Xenoblade Chronicles.
  3. Apr 12, 2012
    Xenoblade Chronicles is the sort of precious jRPG that this recent console generation has sorely lacked. Despite some missteps and over-complication, the game stands out as one of the best in recent years. Xenoblade creates a world simply begging to be explored.