8.8

1. Nov 22, 2011
    A fantastic game. The environments are stunning even though the graphics are pretty awful even for Wii. The gameplay is interesting and will keep you occupied for a long time in its length.
  2. Oct 11, 2011
    An amazing technical and creative achievement for the Wii. This game will blow your mind with its grand scale. Easily a candidate for one of the best JRPGs of all time! This game deserves an award for the music alone. Huge levels, interesting characters, over 450 quests, and at least 60+ hours of main story gameplay packed in this sucker.
  3. Oct 31, 2011
    Easily the best JRPG of this gen. The game shines by its great story, rhythm and huge content. The gameplay is deep and really different with each character, so if you get tired of it mid-game, you just have to change your team to try something different. The best thing in the game is probably how hassle free the progression is, so you get 80+ hours of game, not 80 hours of leveling and wandering.
  4. Oct 24, 2011
    Awesome game and I hope the US get this game. Have not finished it yet but I see that there are many hours ahead of me with this game!!! RPG mechanics are awesome and story is pretty good so far. Tons of sidequests as well.
  5. Apr 15, 2012
    This is exactly what the genre needed. It toes the line between being respectful to the conventions of the genre, whilst tweaking said conventions to create a game which feels undeniably modern. From an engaging plot with a unique setting (the corpses of two titans!) to the exciting battle mechanics which combine real-time combat and turn-based strategy... Xenoblade is a blast to play.This is exactly what the genre needed. It toes the line between being respectful to the conventions of the genre, whilst tweaking said conventions to create a game which feels undeniably modern. From an engaging plot with a unique setting (the corpses of two titans!) to the exciting battle mechanics which combine real-time combat and turn-based strategy... Xenoblade is a blast to play. About the only knock on this game is the technical aspects of the visuals. Limited by the Wii's horsepower, this is to be expected. Thankfully, inspired art direction serves to mask these flaws. If you own a Wii... you need to play Xenoblade Chronicles. Expand
  6. Jul 4, 2012
    This game is ridiculously magnetic, and unlike many jrpgs has left me craving for more. From the sprawling locales, the beautiful skylines, and the amazing soundtrack to the wonderful gameplay and accessibility, this game is stunning. However it's not without its faults, including bad lip sync and repetitive questing. Don't let those deter your decision to buy this game, since that wouldThis game is ridiculously magnetic, and unlike many jrpgs has left me craving for more. From the sprawling locales, the beautiful skylines, and the amazing soundtrack to the wonderful gameplay and accessibility, this game is stunning. However it's not without its faults, including bad lip sync and repetitive questing. Don't let those deter your decision to buy this game, since that would be a bad mistake. Expand
  7. Apr 4, 2014
    9.7/10

Pros epic story, creative art direction, awesome voice acting, wondeful music, likeable characters, beautiful environments (especially the final few), 50+ hours of main quest, well-implemented and unique innovations Cons Wii graphics (this is a big turn off until you get used to them after which you stop grimacing so be prepared for this), a few rare stretches of slowness in
    9.7/10

Pros

Cons
    Wii graphics (this is a big turn off until you get used to them after which you stop grimacing so be prepared for this), a few rare stretches of slowness in the pacing (part of this is due to the phenomenal length of the game so this is to be expected)

Definitely one of the best RPGs I've ever played and I've played more than a few. If you have any liking for RPGs, do yourself a favor and try this game. Looking forward to the next one.
  8. May 14, 2012
    This game is absolutely amazing. The story is engaging, the voice acting is top notch, there a million sidequests and the battle system is unique. I love this game and this will be my summer.
  9. May 23, 2012
    after much time and consideration, i am going to say this has to be one of my favorite games. for the first 100 hours, but since i like to 100 percent everything not gonna lie a few things are a real pain in the ass about this game. BUT if you are not going for 100 percent i promise this game will satisfy you in every way, its completely epic the way they did this game. with the story whenafter much time and consideration, i am going to say this has to be one of my favorite games. for the first 100 hours, but since i like to 100 percent everything not gonna lie a few things are a real pain in the ass about this game. BUT if you are not going for 100 percent i promise this game will satisfy you in every way, its completely epic the way they did this game. with the story when you think you understand it, it smacks you in the face, with a curve ball. great story, epic way of playing, simply amazing. i have recommended this game to all who i know play games. Expand
  10. Jun 25, 2012
    Graphically, the game looks terrible. Otherwise, there is a LOT to love here, so be sure to check this game out if you are looking for a great RPG experience.
  11. Feb 26, 2013
    Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the best RPGs I have ever played. Monolith Soft created a wonderful gameplay environment that is one of the best I've ever experienced. The story was good but not great but when added to the wonderful gameplay, massive environments, fun characters and interesting settings of the game it definitely deserves a 10/10.
  12. May 9, 2012
    Xenoblade is THE best JRPG of this generation. Jam packed of content, you are looking at 80+ hours of gameplay, assuming you are only doing the main story. The visuals are good, though some of the animations are a bit awkward. The music is absolutely fantastic; one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. The gameplay is solid and the combat system is addicting.
  13. Jun 8, 2012
    This is one of the best games of the 2010's so far. Its advanced combat system, gameplay, music, story, visuals, and sidequests can keep you entertained for 100+ hours. Its the best wii game available.
  14. Jun 11, 2012
    This game so far is my absolute favorite game within the past 2 years (it's been nearly 2 years since I've been really back into gaming). Xenoblade: Chronicles truly embodies what a JRPG should be and simply what games used to be and should still be. Yes it is on the Wii and may not be in HD, but the amount of love and detail put into the game is stunning and at times made me think I wasThis game so far is my absolute favorite game within the past 2 years (it's been nearly 2 years since I've been really back into gaming). Xenoblade: Chronicles truly embodies what a JRPG should be and simply what games used to be and should still be. Yes it is on the Wii and may not be in HD, but the amount of love and detail put into the game is stunning and at times made me think I was playing an HD game. The music is one of my favorites and this is a genre that always excels in having beautiful and memorable music and Xenoblade has what I believe to be the best soundtrack I've heard so far. The battle system is addictive and just makes you want to seek out every enemy you can find and slaughter them and since it is a cool down based system and your characters autoheal, you never have to worry about returning to a save point or back tracking to the town before to recover. The story (while some reviewers have said was cliche) I found to be very original, especially the setting, and filled with twists that I really didn't expect. In the end, I spent nearly 100 hours on the first play through and I didn't even finish a good deal of quests and side stories so I know if I went ahead and did all that, I could've added another 30 hours to the game. If you have a Wii, get this game, if you don't, find a friend with a Wii, borrow it and play this game. Expand
  15. Sep 18, 2012
    Best JRPG ever? That may not even be overrating, Xenoblade is the best game in 2012 so far, AINEC, AND it could be one of the top games on the Wii and Ever. There's a lot of content here, with a fantastic storyline, the best rpg battle system ever, and drop dead gorgeous cutscenes. This is a must own for Wii owners and rpg fans.
  16. Jun 5, 2012
    One of the best games in years. Gameplay system and story as well as character design go hand in hand building up an enourmously interesting universe and experience. People loving well worked out, intense and atmospheric titles like Secret of Mana, Lufia, Terranigma, Chrono Trigger, FF Series etc will just be thrilled. Has marched up into my "best games ever" list easily.
  17. Jun 22, 2012
    This game is epic! One of the best role-players of all time. If you like Japanese role-playing games and own a Wii, Xenoblade Chronicles is the game you
  18. Jul 31, 2012
    This game was definitely the best Wii game I've ever played. For me it was the best game of 2011 too. It might be the best game of all times! An Japanese RPG this far evolved with such a great story, characters, battle mechanism, graphics (for Wii users), soundtracks and voice-acting.
  19. Aug 17, 2012
    Playing this game is an amazing experience to me. Granted, this game, like almost other games to date, cannot satisfy everyone's taste. For those who take a lot consideration on graphical aspect of the game, i suggest you watch trailer first to see if that's acceptable to you. IMO, the characters rather jagged, but the environments are really pretty in lot of scenes. Nonetheless, if youPlaying this game is an amazing experience to me. Granted, this game, like almost other games to date, cannot satisfy everyone's taste. For those who take a lot consideration on graphical aspect of the game, i suggest you watch trailer first to see if that's acceptable to you. IMO, the characters rather jagged, but the environments are really pretty in lot of scenes. Nonetheless, if you choose not to play, you'll miss the amazing music, great and long storytelling, creative battle systems, tons of quest, addictive achievement status, and unique NPC relationship. Expand
  20. Nov 27, 2012
    This is quite possibly the best RPG of this generation, and in my own eyes a contender for the best RPG of all time. The fact that this game looks as good as it does, sounds as good as it does, and has such an epic scale on such limited hardware is truly awe-inspiring. This game is massive! The combat system is fluid and dynamic, the characters and story are well rounded, the soundtrackThis is quite possibly the best RPG of this generation, and in my own eyes a contender for the best RPG of all time. The fact that this game looks as good as it does, sounds as good as it does, and has such an epic scale on such limited hardware is truly awe-inspiring. This game is massive! The combat system is fluid and dynamic, the characters and story are well rounded, the soundtrack hits all the right notes. The Wii maybe the laughing stock of a lot of gamers, but this achievement is proof that hardware does not make the game. The games make the hardware. Expand
  21. Dec 1, 2012
    Masterpiece JRPG overworld that describes this game. I will play this game over and over again Killing those little buggers. This a video game and developers should take note because you want your game to be like this. The con could be graphics and texture, but it is not because it is more than that. I have played this for over 200 hours and more.
  22. Apr 7, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece. The individuals who worked together to create this game must have poured everything they could have into it. Xenoblade is easily the best game on Wii and one of the greatest games of all time. Packaged with an engrossing story, breathtaking environments and a truly memorable soundtrack Xenoblade Chronicles stands among the hierarchy of JRPG's.
  23. RNH
    Feb 2, 2013
    This and Super Smash Bros, are the best Wii games there is. Xenoblade Chronicles is a must own for any self-respectable gamer. The game is huge, with a unique game world that takes place on two giant corpses. The narrative is great, the cutscenes are even better. Gameplay is no slouch too, this battle system is one no ever JRPG nor APRG has ever come up with, its clever, easy to use, andThis and Super Smash Bros, are the best Wii games there is. Xenoblade Chronicles is a must own for any self-respectable gamer. The game is huge, with a unique game world that takes place on two giant corpses. The narrative is great, the cutscenes are even better. Gameplay is no slouch too, this battle system is one no ever JRPG nor APRG has ever come up with, its clever, easy to use, and fun. The future telling system is great, the bosses are cool, and the game will last you more than 100 hours. No other game, other than Red Dead Redemption or Super Smash Bros. Brawl, has made my jaw drop like this. Expand
  24. Aug 7, 2013
    This game is the best JRPG I've played in a long time! It's story, dialogues, gameplay, graphics and also it's music (which is made by Yoko, who made the music for Kingdom Hearts, too) are all really good!
    I recommend it to you, if you have a Nintendo Wii!
  25. Feb 27, 2014
    Without a doubt, the greatest game I have ever played. The story, the characters, the gameplay, the music, the world...everything is just so perfect! Especially the music! If you have never played this game before, you absolutely MUST! I enjoyed all 167 hours I've spent in this game so far, and I think you will too!
  26. Aug 22, 2012
    Xenoblade Chronicles is by far and away one of the best RPGs of this generation, one of the best games on the WII and even one of the best I've played since RPG's like Dragon Warrior 8 and Rogue Galaxy. Graphics wise this game isn't good, no question. For what it can do however it is not terrible. Landscapes and areas are designed well. It's just the power of the WII holding back whatXenoblade Chronicles is by far and away one of the best RPGs of this generation, one of the best games on the WII and even one of the best I've played since RPG's like Dragon Warrior 8 and Rogue Galaxy. Graphics wise this game isn't good, no question. For what it can do however it is not terrible. Landscapes and areas are designed well. It's just the power of the WII holding back what would truly be a great vision. Character models are not terrible either, they have a strong resemblance to Final Fantasy 12's characters. Controls I have no complaints either. Having the controller that came with Monster Hunter Tri makes so many games more playable for me on the WII. I'm no fan of motion controls. The voice acting is a little annoying at first but after a while you do get used to it. Sounds and music are fantastic. The quests did eventually get a bit redundant and just downright annoying. In barely a week I had 60 hours into the game and I had completed more then 250 side quests. Now this wouldn't be bad normally but this game requires you to do these side quests to level up... If you decide to skip them you could end up being vastly under leveled. Killing normal enemies did not seem to reap much reward so leveling up on normal monsters I felt was out of the question, you are basically left with not much option. This does eliminate the traditional grinding that so many people find annoying, but searching for rare collectable items and killing so and so unique monsters that have conditions to spawn is just as bad if not worse then mindless button mashing to kill enemies. It's not all bad - the story does keep you strapped into the game and leave you wondering what happens next. Exploring areas is fun as well. This games only flaw I feel is the amount of side quests put into the game. I play more PS3 and 360 games then I do WII and I can honestly say I wish this game was on either console. Xenoblade's only major flaw is that it is being constrained by the WII's specs. Overall though it's a great game and should be picked up for RPG fans. Expand
  27. May 25, 2013
    Xenoblade is definitely one of the most interesting RPGs of this generation and for many several good reasons that in most RPGs nowadays are either removed, not present, or just forgotten. For starters, we HAVE exploration! YES, we can finally explore areas once again, even though there's no real world map but it is still a great thing to have, with extremely huge areas with details,Xenoblade is definitely one of the most interesting RPGs of this generation and for many several good reasons that in most RPGs nowadays are either removed, not present, or just forgotten. For starters, we HAVE exploration! YES, we can finally explore areas once again, even though there's no real world map but it is still a great thing to have, with extremely huge areas with details, enemies to fight, and add also that we get sub quests (which can be either annoying, or simple, but they are there!), this game has already a lot of stuff to give. We also get a very nice relation system that even though I don't remember exactly doing much (it was more useful for later part of the games), it's nice to have...but I'll go back to it later. The combat also is pretty good and, ACTUALLY, mix the turn based and action based combat pretty well: infact you actually have a good control over the combat, with hotkeys like in an MMORPG (skill trees included), and your compagnion work and act properly well, because they usually have a role; for example, Melia is the mage (and the only one not very good with an AI, for me at least), Reyn is a "tank", and Sharla is a healer, and so forth, and that even makes combination with your team mates pretty interesting, since they are all pretty unique in their way. And for last, but not the least, a detail that I really really liked of this game...the armors actually CHANGE your appearance, and the armors are extremely detailed and good looking! "Applauds" Bravo, I was really stunned by this, since that in 99% of RPGs (not including Western RPGs), the armor customization is literally zero. I'm pretty sure I'm being vague on the game details, combat and stuff, but it's because these are extremely good and well made, with few flaws that barely are remarkable. Except for the story. While the game itself is great...the story is flatout one of the worst I've ever seen but for ALL the wrong reasons. One of these reasons is that...it's SO predictable! I'm not kidding when I say that even the GAME COVER is a spoiler (just analyze the name Xenoblade...yeah, it's what you think. Yeah, it's a vital part of the game later on). But what about the story itself? It's not bad but I was able to predict any kind of twist, plot devices, character motivations....ANYTHING! I'm not saying this game is bad because the story is not original, but PLEASE at least tell it properly and without being too predictable: the only unpredictable thing of the story, was the the ending! Infact, I mentioned about the relation between characters, which usually means that behaving accordingly with certain characters usually will lead to a different ending: in this game, it serves only for getting either achievements and other stuff, and that's it...and that was such a waste because, actually, the game gives you ways to make up friendship with your team mates, and that helped me to like certain characters because they had their motivations. But then, if the game will have one ending, why giving us a fake trace of multiple endings by giving us the chance of interacting with the people of the game! Perhaps I'm overreacting over it, but that to me was a major flaw, because the ending is also weak and left me unsatisfied. But still...this is a good game and I honestly encourage to try it out, because it's both fun to play and very long to complete, due to the explorations, the skill trees to unlock, the subquests, the relationship building (even if not that great), the combat being fun and smooth (still, we can't dodge by moving away...), and so much more. But the story really didn't get me and I was really disappointed by it. Definitely a game to play and try, especially if you have a lot of time to spare. Expand
  28. Jan 7, 2015
    2006's Final Fantasy XII was, without doubt, the biggest milestone in the history of JRPGs. In bravely abandoning the tired, established format of turn-based random battles in favour of something more reminiscent of MMOs, the game dragged the genre kicking and screaming into the 21st century. The tragic legacy of FFXII is that very few subsequently were willing to acknowledge this fact,2006's Final Fantasy XII was, without doubt, the biggest milestone in the history of JRPGs. In bravely abandoning the tired, established format of turn-based random battles in favour of something more reminiscent of MMOs, the game dragged the genre kicking and screaming into the 21st century. The tragic legacy of FFXII is that very few subsequently were willing to acknowledge this fact, perhaps partly down to a somewhat lukewarm commercial performance. With Xenoblade Chronicles, Tetsuya Takahashi's Monolith Soft showed themselves to be the only development team to learn the lessons FFXII had to teach. In doing so, they have created one of the most magical videogames we are ever likely to see.

The battle system does have marked differences from its major influence. FFXII's great thrill was that it let you pre-program each party member's response to a number of different battle eventualities and then let the game carry out your instructions. You played the babysitter, watching over your party and ensuring that your planning played out as expected, and intervening and tweaking if it didn't. Xenoblade Chronicles' battles themselves are a little more interactive. Although the two supporting party members are largely automated, you retain full control of the leader, introducing the other two when necessary through your actions. The tougher battles largely come down to the timing of deployment of character-specific arts and can therefore be just as strategic as in FFXII and certainly as engrossing. In addition to the battle system, the game further accepts the limitations of the traditional JRPG model and looks further afield for inspiration, such as to western RPGs - by incorporating a questing system as well as having EXP be awarded upon discovering new locations, for instance.

So that's why Xenoblade is an important game. But what are the reasons it's a great one? Well, the answer to that is: pretty much everything else about it. Every aspect of the game is executed flawlessly. There are almost no systems which I can think of ways to improve upon. The fact that the developers understand what differentiates a good game from a great one shines through clear as day. For example: the foresight to make it unnecessary to return to the NPC who bestowed a quest upon you in most cases, the ability to warp quickly to places you've already visited in the sprawling world, or the fact that death has been designed to be a mere inconvenience rather than a motivation-destroying setback.

To fail to acknowledge every single one of the game's triumphs would be a crime, but I'll have to be brief and just mention some of the things I really love. The game's setting is uniquely imaginitive and so enchanting - two ancient warring colossi frozen in time, upon which biological and mechanical life have evolved. The beautiful environments and the awe-inspiring sense of scale really draw you in and have you totally invested. Xenoblade proves that it's not the power of the hardware a game runs on that counts, it's the love and inspiration that has been poured into its development. The entire cast is so endearing, partly down to their individual stories and backgrounds and equally due to the quirky British voice actors. The fact that the relationships between the characters actually play a part in the gameplay really reinforce your will to make things right for everyone - I felt it was my sworn duty to resolve the problems of every individual NPC. And the heartwarming love story at the centre of the plot is more than enough to keep you interested in seeing the game through to its conclusion.

The music is excellent, I particularly like how each area has a different theme for day and night. The controls are superbly responsive and a sparkling example to all 3D games that aren't particularly action-based. Completing the Collectopaedia, the separate/refine/boost gem crafting process, hunting advanced arts manuals and secret skill trees and levelling them up, maxing out everyone's affinity and accessing all the heart-to-heart scenes, preparing to take on the optional superbosses, and eventually winning - everything is utterly compelling and so much fun to experience.

There are seven main characters in the game, meaning a possible 35 different party combinations. Yet, despite this high number, unique dialogue exchanges were recorded between all the individual groups of three characters and these are sometimes reeled off at the conclusion of a battle. They always make me smile no matter how many times I hear them and they're just so indicative of the care and consideration that has gone into making the whole game.

I adore absolutely everything about Xenoblade Chronicles. I stretched it out over almost a year because I didn't want the thing to end. I spent over 250 hours exhausting almost everything it has to offer, and in each one of those hours I was continually reminded of the reasons I love videogames.
  29. Oct 26, 2013
    I have played so many Rpgs in this 7th generation era but I will have to say one thing that this game is certainly one of my top 5 game and 3rd best Jrpg after Ninokuni and The last story.

Story: Story and character is just to fantastic for any game..I cared about main character and his Band of mercenaries.Characters have deep emotional touch with beautiful stories and the main protagonist is one of the best i the RPG genere.

Graphics: Even though frame rate issue was there i was always wondering how did the old Wii manage to produce such a beautiful game.

Gameplay: Just 10 out of 10. Blend of RPG strategy and action
  30. Apr 20, 2013
    Instantly one of my favorite JRPG's of all time. Tons of content, side quests, and a long main campaign. Fast paced action-oriented battle system. Excellent character development. This is the first JRPG I've played in years that I just couldn't put down...and I've already sunk in over 60 hours into the game.
  31. May 13, 2012
    Guys, I was really disappointed by this game and apparently I am completely alone. Maybe I bought into the hype/review scores too much, but I really wanted a meaty JRPG to drop some time into this summer, and it isn't this one. I've enjoyed the music, and the ability to switch on the Japanese audio track was an unexpected bonus. This is the end of the plus column for me.

The following is

The following is what I wish someone had told me before I bought the game: The first thing you'll notice is that the graphics are terrible. Graphics certainly aren't everything, but these are so dated, blocky, and low res that it's actually distracting. The menu system is also a giant step back; you have to go through a bunch of layers to do basic things like make an equipment change. The battle system is fine, I guess, although the camera can have trouble picking the right height. I feel like I don't really have much to do once I initiate a battle with any one of the dozens of identical creatures milling about. The Eurodub is marginal, although the Japanese one is decent. And I'm still relatively early on in the game, but the characters are standard fare if you've played a bunch of these things and there's nothing compelling me forward. Ultimately, the game feels like it dropped through a time warp from the year 2000. Although I loved PSO Online and Final Fantasy X at the time, I expect more now -- and not only on a hardware level. Dragon Quest IX is a great game, and far more hardware-constrained than Xenoblade Chronicles. There have been so many lessons about character design, narrative, play control, and interface design that I thought had been learned over the past decade that just aren't put to use here.

I'm sorry to poop all over a thing that people seem to love, and I don't downvote popular things just to prove how independent and edgy I am. It's because I dropped $50 on a game that I wanted to like, but have no interest in playing further. Obviously the development team put a lot of work into this, but it doesn't translate into something very fun for me, and at the end of the day, that's all I want from a game. That why I've given it a 5, and put a differing opinion out here.

1. May 24, 2012
    Xenoblade may not be the greatest JRPG ever, but it's certainly one of the best games on the Nintendo Wii.
  2. Apr 19, 2012
    There's a lot more to recommend Xenoblade Chronicles. The dialogue, the humor, the artwork, the prophecy system, the music, the variety of environments, the character progression, the crafting system, the crazy quest density, the quest quality, the memorable characters, the collectibles, the secrets, and so on. This is a landmark achievement in the genre. As of its release, you can no longer talk about great RPGs, or maybe even great games, without also talking about Xenoblade Chronicles.
  3. Apr 12, 2012
    Xenoblade Chronicles is the sort of precious jRPG that this recent console generation has sorely lacked. Despite some missteps and over-complication, the game stands out as one of the best in recent years. Xenoblade creates a world simply begging to be explored.