7.8

1. Apr 11, 2012
    Two years later of the apparition of Alan Wake on Xbox 360 appear this "spin-off", and is amazing, Alan is most "wild", the story is epic, and obviusly because Alan Wake is a fantastic game. This is a great game.
  2. Dec 15, 2014
    This game's where this man named Alan Wake, other wise known as "the Champion of light" where he's in a movie and has to face his doppelganger from taking over his life and all. The games great, and graphics were amazing too, and the combat consist of a flash light mainly the monsters don't like the light, and shooting helps too. But there are reasons I didn't give a 10 and it's mainlyThis game's where this man named Alan Wake, other wise known as "the Champion of light" where he's in a movie and has to face his doppelganger from taking over his life and all. The games great, and graphics were amazing too, and the combat consist of a flash light mainly the monsters don't like the light, and shooting helps too. But there are reasons I didn't give a 10 and it's mainly because of it's repetitive missions, and same areas. Expand
  3. Feb 26, 2012
    It's more Alan Wake! Definitely $15 well spent in my opinion. I am enjoying every second of the game. And there is indeed quite a bit of story in there for those willing to seek it out. You have that option. I spent an hour or more exploring before hitting the first check point.

This is a very good sign that we will indeed see Alan Wake 2. That is what every Alan Wake fan wants. And with the tremendous success the PC release had during its first week on Steam it is a sure bet.
  4. Feb 26, 2012
    The Remedy is right to say that Alan Wake's American Nightmare is not the sequel to the first game of the franchise. After all, much more than a new scenario, the game offers a style of play fairly different from the original experience. Fans should not be afraid of changes, because American Nightmare offers a plot of quality in the midst of action sequences and an exquisite ambiance.The Remedy is right to say that Alan Wake's American Nightmare is not the sequel to the first game of the franchise. After all, much more than a new scenario, the game offers a style of play fairly different from the original experience. Fans should not be afraid of changes, because American Nightmare offers a plot of quality in the midst of action sequences and an exquisite ambiance. Something that not all titles for download are able to offer. All this, along with loyalist graphics and Arcade mode experience, makes American Nightmare one of the main titles of LIVE Arcade. Expand
  5. Feb 22, 2012
    The Single-Player is Great. The main Villian Mr Scratch is oozing with Physco and Then there is the fact that whilst Still fantastic it starts to get a bit Repetitive Especially combat. Combat is more widespread and it is a lot less creepy and dark than the original's Backdrop of Bright Falls. It also has a Horde mode titled as "Fight Till Dawn" Which is great and Will pump the adrenalineThe Single-Player is Great. The main Villian Mr Scratch is oozing with Physco and Then there is the fact that whilst Still fantastic it starts to get a bit Repetitive Especially combat. Combat is more widespread and it is a lot less creepy and dark than the original's Backdrop of Bright Falls. It also has a Horde mode titled as "Fight Till Dawn" Which is great and Will pump the adrenaline right into your Veins (Especially on the harder maps) Expand
  6. Feb 24, 2012
    As a follow-up, Alan Wakes´s American Nightmare surprises with a new, fresh feeling of horror in unfamiliar surroundings and with an idea for its storytelling that in the end barely graces the main tale, but still takes a lot of cues from it and even manages to give something back. So if you want to know what the hell is going on in Alan Wake, this is a new and veryAs a follow-up, Alan Wakes´s American Nightmare surprises with a new, fresh feeling of horror in unfamiliar surroundings and with an idea for its storytelling that in the end barely graces the main tale, but still takes a lot of cues from it and even manages to give something back. So if you want to know what the hell is going on in Alan Wake, this is a new and very entertaining puzzle piece to a much larger and still quite hazy picture Expand
  7. Feb 22, 2012
    This is real Alan Wake experience. The critic just don't get it what Remedy does. This game is filled with some great atmosphere, great shooting mechanic, it's tense and satisfying. And all that for only 1200 MS Points, it's a steal. This is a true love letter for all Alan Wake's fans out there, and for all newcomers which is a great achievement. Long live Remedy! Long live Alan Wake!
  8. Apr 14, 2012
    Excellent addition to the Alan Wake universe and a nice self contained game and story the new weapons and taken enemy types really help to make the action fresh and the fight till dawn mode is loads of fun. Download it now i hope it gets expanded too giving more reason to fight with light until the full Alan Wake 2 arrives great work Remedy.
  9. Feb 22, 2012
    Well, it makes a lot of fun and the Horde Mode as well as the Story is pretty cool. Especially the weapons are much more better than in Alan Wake and the atmosphere is just amazing; as it used to be in an Alan Wake title. Makes much fun, looks fantastic, feels awesome and a 100% recommendation. Fair Price!

If you like Alan Wake you will love the Nightmare!
  10. Feb 24, 2012
    The first Alan wake game was one of suspense, horror and enough twists to keep you on the end of your seat from the moment you entered the start screen, to the point of fruition upon the entire premise of the story. But where does this leave us with American Nightmare. Well this not a direct sequel to the first game, but it does fill in a few of the blanks that were left hanging with ourThe first Alan wake game was one of suspense, horror and enough twists to keep you on the end of your seat from the moment you entered the start screen, to the point of fruition upon the entire premise of the story. But where does this leave us with American Nightmare. Well this not a direct sequel to the first game, but it does fill in a few of the blanks that were left hanging with our first instalment.

American Nightmare has also received an upgrade of sorts. The original game was very heavy on the atmospheric horror genre with a hint of 3rd person action, allowing for a casual blend of a psychological thriller that would leave you wanting more. However, they seemed to have flipped this one around, showing the 3rd person action with a hint of iconic American films history. It still has the underlying horror aspect but when put it side by side with the first game it doesn't even seem to compare. 'The reason for this you might ask?', simple, it is no longer within the Bright Falls barrier that the first game depicted so well, instead it takes place in TV show known in the first game as 'Night Springs'.

This new Live Arcade game also shares some similar features that were held in the first adventure. You will still have to collect manuscript pages, listen to radio broadcasts, watch TV's and spend time battling hordes of enemies from small to large. However, as with every new game, we have new features. These include an array of new methods to further utilise the manuscript pages to not just read and provide a more vivid story but to also twist your fate and further enhance each situation. Watch as 'Mr Scratch' attempts to break Alan through sections of gripping TV shows and game play alike. Not only do we have all this but new enemies to top off the roster. There are 5 new enemies to contend with -- Splitters, Grenadiers, Spiders, Hulking Grinder and the Crow Man, each providing a brand new style of play. This makes each encounter a new and different struggle for survival. One last thing also on the table are the range of new weapons. Where as before you would have a great deal of difficulty with ammo consumption and managing each situation depending on your supply count, now you have everything practically on a plate with ammo box's regularly featuring on walls or in the back of vehicles. Good or bad thing, I will let you make your own mind up about that one.

My score for this game will have to be high but I still have some quarrels with the execution in comparison to the first game. 86%

It lost that extra 14% purely on the shift in game play mechanics. Where as the first one gripped me with scary melodies and well timed cinematic scenes, this one just had a massively American film style, something that I would rather have seen in a game other than Alan Wake. Remedy for me still hold strong as one of my favourite companies but their lean toward the darker story lines and well grafted plot devices, as if almost deep in a gritty and harsh novel by one of the greats, really helps to keep me drawn into this company over any other.
  11. Feb 23, 2012
    The story of Alan wake was goood , but it was too easy. I dont understand why there is no nightmare mode in story too. But the game was still very great. Fight till dawn was good too.
  12. Mar 5, 2012
    Left unsatisfied by the answers provided in the earlier Alan Wake games? Well, here are your answers. This is a TRUE Alan Wake sequel. Reading the reviews, I thought this would be an empty arcade style game that emphasised action of the rich and twisted world of Alan Wake. I got this impression for about 20 minutes of play... but as you get deeper into the game, the ties to the previousLeft unsatisfied by the answers provided in the earlier Alan Wake games? Well, here are your answers. This is a TRUE Alan Wake sequel. Reading the reviews, I thought this would be an empty arcade style game that emphasised action of the rich and twisted world of Alan Wake. I got this impression for about 20 minutes of play... but as you get deeper into the game, the ties to the previous entries (Wake + 2 DLC episodes) are revealed. A lot is answered. The game's fiction (so to speak) is built on. All the characters are there, in some form. The gameplay is very similar to the previous Wake games, and, honestly, I thought the time loop mechanic worked amazingly. The game goes out of its way to make sure it's not simply a fetch quest - sure, you revisit environments and must collect items, but each trip sends you to a new/changed area with fresh challenges. Further, the Mr. Scratch videos and overall production was amazing, better than in the original games actually. I can't recommend this to Alan Wake fans enough. You can't get the whole picture without it. Expand
  13. Feb 29, 2012
    Defectos o faltas tiene como todos los productos, el modo Arcade además de los rankings online no hubiera estado nada mal incluir un multijugador Alan y Barry contra el mundo tenebroso, y la falta del doblaje, una lastima. Con todo esto y con sus grandes virtudes: gráficos, argumento, jugabilidad y el rejugable modo Arcade hacen de este Alan Wake´sDefectos o faltas tiene como todos los productos, el modo Arcade además de los rankings online no hubiera estado nada mal incluir un multijugador Alan y Barry contra el mundo tenebroso, y la falta del doblaje, una lastima. Con todo esto y con sus grandes virtudes: gráficos, argumento, jugabilidad y el rejugable modo Arcade hacen de este Alan Wake´s American Nightmare uno de los grandes de Xbox Live Arcade apto para los fans del original como para los que busquen un juego de acción. Expand
  14. Feb 27, 2012
  15. Feb 22, 2012
    After, playing the campaign I can honestly say BUY IT. The story gives Alan Wake fans the high they been looking for, but also offer a very high tense, fast pace horde mode that really gets you at the edge of your seat. All I can say is get it.........
  16. Feb 29, 2012
    A great direction for the franchise, although I do I hope that we get to see Bright Falls again! The story was amazing and I was very satisfied with the ending.

1. May 30, 2012
    While not a true sequel, Alan Wake's American Nightmare does a fine job of expanding on the franchise's universe. It may not have the depth of exposition of the original game, but for 1,200 Microsoft points ($15), there's enough here to please fans and newcomers alike.
  2. Apr 12, 2012
    The combination of light-hearted side-story and new ideas results in a title that is fun to play, even with the repetition of stages. [May 2012, p.64]
    It's sadly spoilt by a lack of content and too much repetition. [Issue#83, p.98]