7.8

1. May 24, 2012
    Nothing of value was experienced, the first game was cheapened, and generally this was one of the most tasteless and vapid games I have ever played. It was like eating a bread sandwich. The gameplay mechanics offer no challenge, the story goes nowhere, there are no characters to speak of, the delivery is nonsense and it feels nothing like the original. The main villain is like JasonNothing of value was experienced, the first game was cheapened, and generally this was one of the most tasteless and vapid games I have ever played. It was like eating a bread sandwich. The gameplay mechanics offer no challenge, the story goes nowhere, there are no characters to speak of, the delivery is nonsense and it feels nothing like the original. The main villain is like Jason Vaughees if he was played by Eddie Murphy.

If you enjoyed the original, avoid this game. It is a complete betrayal and even taken on its own principles the story is terribly executed, the design is lazy and the combat is somehow even more boring the original. At least there you felt threatened. It also makes you play through the same three levels three times before you can finish the game. You thought Bioware took the piss recycling the same map over and over again? Try recycling your entire GAME. I award you a great, big, round fail, and may the deity of your choice offer pity, for I have none. Remedy, you have been moved off my 'must buy' list, and into the 'avoid unless world sequels with delight at passing' list. I made it just for you.

1. May 30, 2012
    While not a true sequel, Alan Wake's American Nightmare does a fine job of expanding on the franchise's universe. It may not have the depth of exposition of the original game, but for 1,200 Microsoft points ($15), there's enough here to please fans and newcomers alike.
  2. Apr 12, 2012
    The combination of light-hearted side-story and new ideas results in a title that is fun to play, even with the repetition of stages. [May 2012, p.64]
    It's sadly spoilt by a lack of content and too much repetition. [Issue#83, p.98]