8.1

1. Feb 22, 2014
    What could've been a nostalgic nod to early platformers instead deliquesced into a heinously psychedelic video game with solid fighting mechanics going for it and nothing else. The first hour is worthy enough; I mean, jumping around from toadstool to toadstool is entertaining enough, I will give it that. But it slowly becomes an absurd chore and some of the creatures really are monstrous.
  2. Apr 13, 2013
    I'm giving this game a lower score because everyone seems so taken back by just the "interpretation" of the story and the visuals. Yes, you can spray paint a turd gold, but in the end, it's just a pretty turd. This game is simply a grinder. Despite some customizable elements, the gameplay itself is a grinder and I found myself just trying to get to the end of the game so I could retireI'm giving this game a lower score because everyone seems so taken back by just the "interpretation" of the story and the visuals. Yes, you can spray paint a turd gold, but in the end, it's just a pretty turd. This game is simply a grinder. Despite some customizable elements, the gameplay itself is a grinder and I found myself just trying to get to the end of the game so I could retire this on my shelf after one play. I would never recommend this game to anyone, it's just too dull to play. Expand

1. Dec 12, 2011
    The levels are creative and artistic direction is solid, but the actual gameplay suffers from a lack of diversity and being clumped into big chunks.
  2. Sep 14, 2011
    All in all it's a decent game with only a few nagging issues to prevent it from being great. Comparatively, I think that the original did it better, but Spicy Horse has done a respectable job with the sequel.
  3. Aug 2, 2011
    Had Madness Returns cut its length by half and tossed in a few more gameplay mechanics, it could have easily been one of the best titles released this year.