8.1

1. Dec 9, 2014
    This game's scenery and design is really beautiful and unique. The team did a nice job giving each level its own unique feel even though the same basic mechanics were in each of them. This helped keep the game entertaining even though a lot of it was very repetitive. Storyline was above average and interesting. This genre of game is not something I am typically into, but I found that itThis game's scenery and design is really beautiful and unique. The team did a nice job giving each level its own unique feel even though the same basic mechanics were in each of them. This helped keep the game entertaining even though a lot of it was very repetitive. Storyline was above average and interesting. This genre of game is not something I am typically into, but I found that it was executed really well.
    I was excited and impressed to see that they included the original title along with this game. I had played it as a kid back in 2000, so the nostalgia of that was fun and really appreciated. The port over was well done.
  2. Mar 3, 2014
    This game has a very dark, yet satisfyingly twisted plot with fantastic art direction and a beautiful soundtrack. however, the gameplay is very unsatisfying, with no combo system, and limited options for melee. still a pretty good game though.
  3. Feb 22, 2014
    What could've been a nostalgic nod to early platformers instead deliquesced into a heinously psychedelic video game with solid fighting mechanics going for it and nothing else. The first hour is worthy enough; I mean, jumping around from toadstool to toadstool is entertaining enough, I will give it that. But it slowly becomes an absurd chore and some of the creatures really are monstrous.
  4. Dec 30, 2013
    Interesting and great scenery and very dark art history and a well crafted soundtrack, but there are some flaws Alice still gets a good adventure game.
  5. Apr 13, 2013
    I'm giving this game a lower score because everyone seems so taken back by just the "interpretation" of the story and the visuals. Yes, you can spray paint a turd gold, but in the end, it's just a pretty turd. This game is simply a grinder. Despite some customizable elements, the gameplay itself is a grinder and I found myself just trying to get to the end of the game so I could retireI'm giving this game a lower score because everyone seems so taken back by just the "interpretation" of the story and the visuals. Yes, you can spray paint a turd gold, but in the end, it's just a pretty turd. This game is simply a grinder. Despite some customizable elements, the gameplay itself is a grinder and I found myself just trying to get to the end of the game so I could retire this on my shelf after one play. I would never recommend this game to anyone, it's just too dull to play. Expand
  6. Jan 31, 2013
    Alice: Madness Returns is a game that needs to be experienced. It's a wonderful journey through a weird and haunting place. This is a game that feels fresh in today's gaming world. So please, pick it up and give it a try.
  7. Jan 24, 2013
    Alice has got some of the most breathtaking visuals I have seen on the 360. The game is just utterly gorgeous to look at. Almost like the demented love child of Tim Burton & Don Bluth. But regardless of its visual beauty, the game itself is really just average. It's an old school platformer that really doesn't add anything new to the mix. In fact one could say that this style of gameplayAlice has got some of the most breathtaking visuals I have seen on the 360. The game is just utterly gorgeous to look at. Almost like the demented love child of Tim Burton & Don Bluth. But regardless of its visual beauty, the game itself is really just average. It's an old school platformer that really doesn't add anything new to the mix. In fact one could say that this style of gameplay is rather dated, but I will stick to old-school just to be polite. Levels are fun to explore, but not to play. The action is just so slow and the games pacing can be tedious at times. Platforming sections work for the most part, but do face their fair share of frustration due to awkward camera controls. Puzzles are either ridiculously easy or incredibly obscure. Overall: Alice: Madness Returns is a worth playing for the visuals alone, but don't expect a game that'll keep you on the edge of your seat. It's fun, but the dated & repetitive gameplay does get a bit dull. Expand
  8. Oct 31, 2012
    A surprise hit for me and well worth a playthrough or more. Some of the imagery is extremely well done. Puzzles aren't too tricky however gameplay is no slouch and weapons are interesting. Controls are very tight and the levels and challenges are diverse. Madness Returns is sure to impress true console gamers willing to give it a chance with an open mind. This one is not just for the girls.
  9. Oct 11, 2012
    Alice: Madness Returns certainly has a unique art style and stunning visuals. The gameplay itself is agreeably varied and fun. However, some attempts at varying the pace, such as a few 2D platforming and pinball stages, are boring and start to drag near the end of the game. Storyline, however, is quite well done. Definitely one of the most underrated games I've played on this console, andAlice: Madness Returns certainly has a unique art style and stunning visuals. The gameplay itself is agreeably varied and fun. However, some attempts at varying the pace, such as a few 2D platforming and pinball stages, are boring and start to drag near the end of the game. Storyline, however, is quite well done. Definitely one of the most underrated games I've played on this console, and it's certainly worth at least a rent. Expand
  10. Aug 24, 2012
    This game has 90% of the things needed to make an excellent game but it let down by just a couple of (fairly large) features. Visually, the game is stunning and the artwork both in Wonderland and in London is fantastic, and well worth pausing to admire. Combat is simple, but fits well within the theme and restraints of the game. Dodging is done in a flurry of butterflies and the weaponsThis game has 90% of the things needed to make an excellent game but it let down by just a couple of (fairly large) features. Visually, the game is stunning and the artwork both in Wonderland and in London is fantastic, and well worth pausing to admire. Combat is simple, but fits well within the theme and restraints of the game. Dodging is done in a flurry of butterflies and the weapons (although arguably not enough in number) are inventive and varied enough to provide entertainment.

Sadly, the game is flawed in its
  11. Aug 3, 2012
    Alice does a lot of things right. It has an interesting art design, good voice acting and a satisfying combat. The atmosphere is splendid and the story would be good if the majority of the game didnt feel like filler. And that is the problem with this game. Even if the platforming and combat is alright in it self is it not in any way good or challenging enough to carry the game on its own.Alice does a lot of things right. It has an interesting art design, good voice acting and a satisfying combat. The atmosphere is splendid and the story would be good if the majority of the game didnt feel like filler. And that is the problem with this game. Even if the platforming and combat is alright in it self is it not in any way good or challenging enough to carry the game on its own. The majority of the game is spent going to character A or doing a fetch quest for character B with the occasional puzzle. The game has some nice and quirky gameplay ideas here and there but they cant compensate for the fact that the largest part of the game is simply repetitive and boring. The game is quite long but personally i would have enjoyed the game a lot more if it was shorter and more compact. Quality>Quantity. Expand
  12. Jun 13, 2012
    I always felt like this game was underrated. I mean playing it today, for the third time, I can't believe how some of these professional reviewers have bashed the game and slapped it with such mediocre scores, which sadly, many people will take one look at and never give this game a chance.

This game does so much right: compelling story, VERY beautiful and immersive enviroments/art design/graphics, simple yet exciting combat, fluid controls, good voice acting, replay value, etc. This is honestly one of the only few games that made me stop and marvel at the scenery, plus every enviroment is diverse enough so even if platforming can sometime get tedious, it's still fun to keep going.

The only cons about this game are the textures can sometimes look muddy/distorted, pacing is off in that levels are stretched too long, some mini games are boring and repeated too often. But all of this does not equal a mediocre game in my opinion. Most of these flaws are so minor and doesn't even affect the game all that much.

Sometimes I feel like the people reviewing the game are just so used to blockbuster games (uncharted, assassin's creed, call of duty, etc.) therefore if a unique game like alice comes out, it doesn't match their "standards" of what a good game should be. Does alice madness returns feel like an old school game? Yes. Is alice madness returns innovative? No. And you know what, that's ok. Unfortunately these so called "professional" don't seem to comprehend this concept rather anything with crosshairs and headshots are considered great games.
  13. Jan 4, 2012
    Un juego excelente, es el claro ejemplo que critica y usuarios no siempre están de acuerdo. La historia es muy madura y absorbe desde el principio. Una ambientación preciosa donde se nota el trabajo artístico que hay detrás del juego. Sobre la jugabilidad cabe destacar que los movimientos de Alice responden a la perfección,Un juego excelente, es el claro ejemplo que critica y usuarios no siempre están de acuerdo. La historia es muy madura y absorbe desde el principio. Una ambientación preciosa donde se nota el trabajo artístico que hay detrás del juego. Sobre la jugabilidad cabe destacar que los movimientos de Alice responden a la perfección, los puzzles son entretenidos y las peleas contra los enemigos muy variadas ya que cada uno tiene diferentes debilidades y nos obliga a utilizar el coco en vez de machacar botones.
    Sobre el único defecto que tiene el juego, y a sido sobre explotado por los medios para bajarle la puntuación, es la carga de textura que en mi opinión no son tan extenuantes como la prensa nos quiere hacer creer. Sinceramente es mi GOTY del 2011.
  14. Dec 21, 2011
    This game is truly unique, I love the way Wonderland is interpreted, it's basically Alice's mind, so as her sanity begins to slip and her mind becomes corrupted so does Wonderland, and you really notice the changes, and while that's cool the presentation does suffer from bland graphics, bad voice acting, and a story with plot holes, the graphics aren't a real problem when your inThis game is truly unique, I love the way Wonderland is interpreted, it's basically Alice's mind, so as her sanity begins to slip and her mind becomes corrupted so does Wonderland, and you really notice the changes, and while that's cool the presentation does suffer from bland graphics, bad voice acting, and a story with plot holes, the graphics aren't a real problem when your in Wonderland as long as you don't look to closely as the levels all have very unique themes that keep you interesting and dying to see what the world will look like as you progress, but the environmental graphics aren't 100%, the part of the game of the graphics that are 100% is Alice (when she's in Wonderland), her dresses, face, hair, and animations look fantastic and are incredibly well done, but during the sections when your in London the graphics go straight down hill, the environments and character animations, including Alice herself are all ugly, and the voice acting goes is also weak ranging from bad to passable, and the story behind it all ends up coming together in the end, and I admit I like the fact that it touched on things like insanity, rape, murder, and prostitution with such a high level of maturity, I understand why other developers don't touch on these things, but they fit the tone of this game perfectly, and like I said they were incredibly mature in dealing with these extremely touchy subjects, however a design choice later in the game in the form of triple sixes being in certain parts of the game I feel is incredibly inappropriate, and I'm not just saying this because of my religious views, but because it's tasteless and an immature move on the creators behalf, but even with its minor presentation issues it's backed by strong gameplay which reminded me of old school N64 platformers, it also has strong combat which is like a hack and slash but with more depth, yes you can just button mash to kill certain enemies, but most require tactics to defeat which makes beating a large group of enemies extremely satisfying, and it also mixes up the gameplay with the occasional fun minigame, sections where your a giant, or just switching it up from a 3D platformer to a 2 one, all these sections are incredibly fun and keep the game from getting stale, there are also tons of collectibles like bottles or memories, the latter playing out like the recordings from the Bioshock games (although most aren't nearly as interesting), and also has a new game+ option which is a very nice touch, I know it sounds like I don't like this game, but actually I really like it, it has me dying to play the original, and I do recommend it to older audiences (because of the mature subject matter), one of the best games of 2011 for sure. Expand
  15. Oct 4, 2011
    To me, a game I remember vividly each level and design months and months later is a success. Alice: Madness Returns was one of those games. I played the original American McGee's Alice on PC about a year ago after hearing about it. I loved the dark setting but couldn't get fully immersed because of the hard control scheme on PC. To my delight, I heard they were making a sequel! and on theTo me, a game I remember vividly each level and design months and months later is a success. Alice: Madness Returns was one of those games. I played the original American McGee's Alice on PC about a year ago after hearing about it. I loved the dark setting but couldn't get fully immersed because of the hard control scheme on PC. To my delight, I heard they were making a sequel! and on the Xbox!
    To me the game was a visually stunning piece, even if the graphics weren't futuristic BF3 something or other, I feel like the graphics accented the theme of the game nicely and I had no problem with them. The game is meant to look more unreal, after all. The story was pretty good, although I was a little lost at times as to what was going on, I usually would figure it out after a few minutes or so. The combat was fun and yes, maybe it got repetitive after a while but the stunning levels and new enemies kept me going. The level design was astounding, and I still remember the ruined halls of the Red Queen's castle and the satisfying underwater segment. The setting is changed so rapidly it really keeps you interested and you're never in one place too long. Also the surprise of where Alice was headed next also kept me immersed, and guessing. Overall I wouldn't go as far to say this is a GOTY but I can defiantly recommend this to anyone who loves the dark fantasy/action genre and I will probably be replaying it sometime to get back into that twisted world and dark atmosphere that is American McGee's Alice.
  16. Sep 27, 2011
    This game took a lot of imagination to create. I was very impressed with the psychological mind trip figure-out-what-is-really-going-on feel to this game. The hidden objects are fun to collect, the weapons and upgrades were entertaining to use, and the art direction can be categorized as "top notch". This game is not for the immature, younger crowd. There are some very serious, matureThis game took a lot of imagination to create. I was very impressed with the psychological mind trip figure-out-what-is-really-going-on feel to this game. The hidden objects are fun to collect, the weapons and upgrades were entertaining to use, and the art direction can be categorized as "top notch". This game is not for the immature, younger crowd. There are some very serious, mature themes throughout this story. I have one problem, although it is not with the gameplay. My problem is that, although it is possible to buy the original Alice game on the Xbox Marketplace, you cannot play it unless you also have this game (Alice: Madness Returns). To launch the original Alice after purchasing it on the Marketplace...you must do so from within THIS game's menu. Expand
  17. Sep 9, 2011
    There's some great animation, fantastic voice acting, and the levels have jaw-dropping visual design. It's also painfully repetitive. If you're willing to put up with the tedium then it's certainly worth a look for the prettiness alone... but if you want a game with equally good visual design, a sharper wit, a truckload more originality, better level design, better pacing, and a smarterThere's some great animation, fantastic voice acting, and the levels have jaw-dropping visual design. It's also painfully repetitive. If you're willing to put up with the tedium then it's certainly worth a look for the prettiness alone... but if you want a game with equally good visual design, a sharper wit, a truckload more originality, better level design, better pacing, and a smarter take on the levels-inside-the-mind theme, then you might want to consider Psychonauts instead. Expand
  18. Sep 1, 2011
    I have been loving this game, but I must admit it is mostly because of its visual concept. The game is basically a platformer with the type of game play you would expect from a 3D Rayman or Super Mario title, and quite repetitive. But that works for me just right because it forces me to explore every little corner to collect all the items and admire the artwork as I play. Relaxing forI have been loving this game, but I must admit it is mostly because of its visual concept. The game is basically a platformer with the type of game play you would expect from a 3D Rayman or Super Mario title, and quite repetitive. But that works for me just right because it forces me to explore every little corner to collect all the items and admire the artwork as I play. Relaxing for the most part, frustrating occasionally, I recommend this game if you are a fan of the characters and/or if you want to see something that looks original, even if it doesn't play that way. Expand
  19. Aug 4, 2011
    I fell in love with this game within the first five minutes of playing. The backgrounds and character designs are absolutely beautiful, and the story is gripping. One of the most interesting aspects of it is the theme of Alice's insanity and trying to use Wonderland as a means so work out her problems. The combat is smooth, and easy to get the hang of. All in all one of the best games II fell in love with this game within the first five minutes of playing. The backgrounds and character designs are absolutely beautiful, and the story is gripping. One of the most interesting aspects of it is the theme of Alice's insanity and trying to use Wonderland as a means so work out her problems. The combat is smooth, and easy to get the hang of. All in all one of the best games I have played this year. Expand
  20. Jul 19, 2011
    melhor visualizado em: criticalplayer.com.br

melhor visualizado em: criticalplayer.com.br

Jogo lançado em 14 de Junho de 2011, produzido pela desconhecida Spicy Horse e distribuído pela EA. Alice: Madness Returns é uma grotesca e macabra distorção da obra original de Lewis Carroll, Alice no país das Maravilhas (não vou entrar em detalhes porque não conheço mas deve ser aqueles típicos contos de fadas a lá Disney) criada do pelo designer de games American McGee. O estilo é ação/plataforma em terceira pessoa com combate baseado em armas.

O enredo conta a história de Alice, uma adolescente recém saída de um hospício, em uma busca de respostas para o que aconteceu no dia em que sua família tragicamente morreu queimada dentro de sua própria casa (motivo pelo qual, ela foi parar no hospício).
    A busca ocorre dentro de um mundo criado pela própria Alice dentro de sua mente. No decorrer do jogo, ao encontrar partes da memória e completar os capítulos, a verdadeira história para o acidente vai sendo contada.

A jogabilidade é bem simples e intuitiva, todos os controles são muito bem explicados e assimilados no decorrer do gameplay. Com ressalva para um problema que ocorre em alguns pontos do cenário que trava a movimentação da personagem.

A câmera pode ser controlada livremente ou pode ser fixada em um inimigo (no estilo Zelda dos áurios tempos de N64). O arsenal é composto por uma faca (a melhor no combate corpo-a-corpo, é bem rápida, mas tira pouca energia), uma espécie de martelo em formato de cavalo (boa quando os inimigos estão amontoados, ela é devastadora e quebra a guarda de alguns inimigos apesar de ser lenta), um moedor que atira pimenta (ideal para inimigos voadores), um bule que atira chá quente (bom para matar inimigos amontoados a longa distância) e um boneco-bomba (distrai os inimigos e é essencial para resolução de alguns quebra-cabeças).

A utilização do modo â
  21. Jul 10, 2011
    Game of the year! This is one of the best and most mature games I've played this whole year. It consistently adds new things like environments, enemies, gameplay mechanics, and characters. It creates a creepy vibe that no other can match in all honesty. The platform design in this game is nothing short of magical at times, the combat is super fluid, and the story is top of the line. PlusGame of the year! This is one of the best and most mature games I've played this whole year. It consistently adds new things like environments, enemies, gameplay mechanics, and characters. It creates a creepy vibe that no other can match in all honesty. The platform design in this game is nothing short of magical at times, the combat is super fluid, and the story is top of the line. Plus the visuals are mind blowing. You really appreciate what Spicy Horse fit into every nook and cranny of this game because of how magnificent and original the whole world feels despite being a sequel.

All I gotta say is that I hope for another and those who associate low quality with Alice: Madness Returns does not know the meaning of the word quality.
  22. Jul 8, 2011
    Not sure why the critics weren't as crazy about this game. The art direction is stunning, the story is intelligent and twisted, and the combat is unique and challenging. The campaign took me around 15-20 hours to complete, and during that time I always felt like there was something new to discover. Though the gameplay might be considered shallow and derivative by some, I chose toNot sure why the critics weren't as crazy about this game. The art direction is stunning, the story is intelligent and twisted, and the combat is unique and challenging. The campaign took me around 15-20 hours to complete, and during that time I always felt like there was something new to discover. Though the gameplay might be considered shallow and derivative by some, I chose to compare it to a game like Darksiders - both games take from older games like Zelda, but they manage to repackage the addicting gameplay in a way that makes it feel new and exciting. I only had a couple complaints about Alice, one being that 4 weapons (upgradable though they might be) feels like a small number for such a long game, and the other complaint being that the final chapter is underwhelming compared to the previous ones. Other than that, Alice should prove to be an incredibly rewarding game experience for anyone, regardless of if you played the original PC version (which is included for free, so if you feel obligated to play that first, then I still recommend getting this game). Expand
  23. Jun 28, 2011
    GREAT GAME. Don't be fulled by the reviewers score, they underestimated this game, because it is really Amazing. Beautiful Art !! and a very interesting trama. Developers really made a great effort in offering a unique experience. Also if you buy the game from retail (new) you get the EA online pass code, so that you can download for free the original "Alice" on you console (the firstGREAT GAME. Don't be fulled by the reviewers score, they underestimated this game, because it is really Amazing. Beautiful Art !! and a very interesting trama. Developers really made a great effort in offering a unique experience. Also if you buy the game from retail (new) you get the EA online pass code, so that you can download for free the original "Alice" on you console (the first game) so you would be getting 2 great games. Even after the game lacks of multiplayer it offers 4 levels of difficulty and a lot of hours of gameplay. You won't regret it I swear. Collapse
  24. Jun 27, 2011
    The original American McGee's Alice arrived during what I call The Golden Age of PC Gaming. We had great original stuff like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, No One Lives Forever (both of which received pitiful console ports), and Clive Barker's Undying. Alice was, to me, a dark, fantastic retelling of the old story for a grownup audience. Even though it was tied to the now ancient Quake 3 engineThe original American McGee's Alice arrived during what I call The Golden Age of PC Gaming. We had great original stuff like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, No One Lives Forever (both of which received pitiful console ports), and Clive Barker's Undying. Alice was, to me, a dark, fantastic retelling of the old story for a grownup audience. Even though it was tied to the now ancient Quake 3 engine and hardware limitations of the time, it managed to be creative, artistic, very difficult at times, and a very nice looking game, primarily due to the textures. Here we are eleven years later, with hardware that can pull off pretty much any sort of amazing visuals imaginable, as well as doing a better job of telling a story without using pre-rendered cinematics, and all I can think of is how much better the first game was. I really thought we were through having to endure low-res, 8-bit color textures now that the PS2 is put to rest. Visually, what we have are higher polygon counts for models and level geometry, often painted in a most sloppily manner...nice particle effects, a bit of bloom, and the ever-present shiny-reflective surfaces. This just seems lazy, as if the entire art department consisted of two guys from Singapore with unpronounceable names. Ever since "American" McGee decided to outsource everything to his newly discovered cheap labor force, apparently for pennies on the dollar, things have gone predictably down hill. It's still a pretty fun game, but it's really a step backward, all things considered. The creative spark that was so prominent back then has all but disappeared. Expand
  25. Jun 25, 2011
    I don't know what critics are smoking these days, and maybe the console version was lesser (as I haven't played it on console), but the PC version is drop-dead gorgeous, incredible continuation of the story, fluid, twisted, wicked, and just downright fun to play. It has all the elements prior, and alot of new ones.

American Mcgee definetely has not lost his touch here, and it's a well

American Mcgee definetely has not lost his touch here, and it's a well orchestrated sequel that plays, sounds, and feels flawless. Simply compare the amazing user score to the mediocre critic score, and its obvious they either did not play it, or just didn't care. Easily a 10/10.
  26. Jun 24, 2011
    A great game that incorporates surreal graphics with better story telling then most games on the market today. Many critics seem to have given this game low points due to repetitive gameplay, and while this is somewhat true Alice: Madness Returns' gameplay is nowhere near as repetitive as the leading video game titles. If you wish to play a beautiful surreal game with a decent combatA great game that incorporates surreal graphics with better story telling then most games on the market today. Many critics seem to have given this game low points due to repetitive gameplay, and while this is somewhat true Alice: Madness Returns' gameplay is nowhere near as repetitive as the leading video game titles. If you wish to play a beautiful surreal game with a decent combat system where you actually find yourself using things like block and dodge; this is for you. If however you wish for storyless highly repetitive games that involve nothing more that press button to make things blow-up followed by more of the same ad nauseum then don't play this game and instead pick up whatever Halo or Call of Duty game the critics are drooling over. Expand
  27. Jun 22, 2011
    I have to agree that critic reviews seem to have missed the point. The poor control system for PC should be noted, but it is a port from a console and does not have terribly large or surprising problems in that respect. The visuals are amazing, the story and the way the story is fed to the player both fit with Carroll's genius and with the themes of the madness and confusion. Yes, youI have to agree that critic reviews seem to have missed the point. The poor control system for PC should be noted, but it is a port from a console and does not have terribly large or surprising problems in that respect. The visuals are amazing, the story and the way the story is fed to the player both fit with Carroll's genius and with the themes of the madness and confusion. Yes, you spend a lot of time making jumps and fighting enemies, but it is a platformer. They tend to be repetitive, in that you jump from platform to platform. If you don't like that, this is not the game for you. I feel like many of the reviews criticize either the repetitiveness, the memory collection, or the visuals too harshly, and do not judge what the game actually is.

This game is not trying to do anything new, in fact it is trying to recapture something old. It is an old-school platformer and it hits all the right notes. If you loved the first one, you will love this one.
  28. Jun 20, 2011
    This game is gorgeous and engaging. Platforming and combat aren't the best they could be, but the staggering design and artistic depth of Wonderland is worth the price of admission alone. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw settings and design so beautiful and creative. The game has a strong narrative artfully delivered with powerful visuals, and even though the combat andThis game is gorgeous and engaging. Platforming and combat aren't the best they could be, but the staggering design and artistic depth of Wonderland is worth the price of admission alone. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw settings and design so beautiful and creative. The game has a strong narrative artfully delivered with powerful visuals, and even though the combat and platforming aren't the best I've ever seen, they still play fast and strong. The mediocre critic's score made me a tad worried about committing to this game, but it is destined to be one of the most memorable releases of 2011, and I can whole-heatedly recommend it. Expand
  29. Jun 20, 2011
    I loved it. I could not put the controller down. The controls were easy to learn and the camera didn't get in the way like some other games. Just as good as the first one. Defiantly check it out.
  30. Jun 20, 2011
    Ok so I took a jump on this game, with the art style and story being the appealing factor and wow did I find a hidden Gem. I seriously cant believe these "reviewers" scores! The minor negatives surely don't negate a drop in score so vast as to score it as a mediocre title? I mean negatives of similar volume appear in their precious CoD titles and yet they still score that patheticOk so I took a jump on this game, with the art style and story being the appealing factor and wow did I find a hidden Gem. I seriously cant believe these "reviewers" scores! The minor negatives surely don't negate a drop in score so vast as to score it as a mediocre title? I mean negatives of similar volume appear in their precious CoD titles and yet they still score that pathetic franchise highly!!?

Alice is a breath of fresh air and shows what an adventure platformer should and was like. New copies come with the original copy of the game which is just sheer brilliance. If you love the story of Alice and are into Adventure platformers then do yourself a favour and pick this game up. For me so far this year it has been my favourite release!
  31. Jun 20, 2011
    I love Alice. I loved this game for the first 2 chapters. on the 3rd - it all seemed repetitive and started to bore.
    Overall the game is decent with decent graphics - but some obvious bugs as well.
  32. Jun 19, 2011
    I too feel the critics missed the overall evaluation and quality of this game. Alice: Madness Returns is not only visually well done, but the game grabs the attention of the player and keeps them entertained. It does not innovate in any category, but instead is a well polished, delightful experience that turns out to be a wonderful surprise. In particular the audio and music isI too feel the critics missed the overall evaluation and quality of this game. Alice: Madness Returns is not only visually well done, but the game grabs the attention of the player and keeps them entertained. It does not innovate in any category, but instead is a well polished, delightful experience that turns out to be a wonderful surprise. In particular the audio and music is noteworthy, gameplay is well done and the fighting mechanics are really nice. One downfall is the lack of overall combat options. More upgrading/ability to do special moves would have been welcome. Really the game is well done for a platformer. Expand
  33. Jun 19, 2011
    A beautiful platformer with brilliant ideas which was exactly what I needed. It's such a breath of fresh air to see such art and passion put into a project compared to the sea of shooters and terrible movie cash-ins. Alice is a great game with some niggling flaws (repetition, pacing, Unreal engine quirks), but it does so much right that it far outweighs the flaws. A personal 10 for me, andA beautiful platformer with brilliant ideas which was exactly what I needed. It's such a breath of fresh air to see such art and passion put into a project compared to the sea of shooters and terrible movie cash-ins. Alice is a great game with some niggling flaws (repetition, pacing, Unreal engine quirks), but it does so much right that it far outweighs the flaws. A personal 10 for me, and the fact new copies include the rare and brilliant original game only makes it that much sweeter. Expand
  34. Jun 19, 2011
    The twisted aesthetic may be played out, but it is done with such a level of detail and refinement that one has to excuse the dated gameplay and two (out of five) lackluster chapters. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Chapters 2 and 3. The industry is hard up on 3d platformers as of late but unfortunately t his doesn't excuse Alice from not doing anything new; collectibles and weapon-heavy combatThe twisted aesthetic may be played out, but it is done with such a level of detail and refinement that one has to excuse the dated gameplay and two (out of five) lackluster chapters. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Chapters 2 and 3. The industry is hard up on 3d platformers as of late but unfortunately t his doesn't excuse Alice from not doing anything new; collectibles and weapon-heavy combat are abound and can become repetitive while light challenges, puzzles, and sidescrolling sequences break things up a bit. Nonetheless a wholeheartedly original and lurid narrative awaits you in Alice: Madness Returns, playing out with as much variety and spirit as the gameplay attempts to provide. Expand
  35. Jun 18, 2011
    Original review update: I've got 15 hours of play time in since picking up the game at release and I haven't seen anything here that warrants such negativity of these reviewers. Does Alice: Madness Returns suffer the same minor foibles of just about every 3D platformer since Mario 64? Yeah, it sure does, but why is that making this game, in particular, get such a negative response? I haveOriginal review update: I've got 15 hours of play time in since picking up the game at release and I haven't seen anything here that warrants such negativity of these reviewers. Does Alice: Madness Returns suffer the same minor foibles of just about every 3D platformer since Mario 64? Yeah, it sure does, but why is that making this game, in particular, get such a negative response? I have played FAR, FAR worse platformers this generation than this. Anyone remember Kameo when it came out - fun, odd, but wonky and full of bugs that never got patched? Sure, I've had some frustrating moments due to camera issues but, again, that's been an issue in every platformer since 1996 - even games like Uncharted and Uncharted 2 suffered issues like this, and those are almost universally lauded for their gameplay. Some reviewers go so far as to say that the platformer style of the game is too cookie cutter and mundane. Do these folks not realize there's only SO MUCH that can be done with a third person action/platformer in terms of coding? If Alice: Madness Returns gets slammed for "cookie cutter" gameplay, then I respectfully submit all these reviewers go back and modify their scores for the ENTIRE God of War franchise, as that franchise is as cookie cutter as it gets (yet gets rated 9-9.5 for every iteration). Thus far the game has been a visual treat, the story has been solid, and the gameplay fluid. All in all, it's a great sequel to the original and, unless the macabre style isn't your thing (which I can completely understand), people who are avoiding this game because of the professional reviews are just robbing themselves of a fun game. And they can't even hide behind the excuse that they never played the first one, since that comes along with it! Expand
  36. Jun 17, 2011
    I feel that I need to chime in with a brief review of this wonderful platformer, as well, so that those currently on the fence in regards to buying this game - based on the ridiculously mediocre current critics average for "Madness Returns" - feel more at ease and give it a chance. I'm roughly 6 hours into the game and have been enjoying it immensely. As others here have mentioned, thisI feel that I need to chime in with a brief review of this wonderful platformer, as well, so that those currently on the fence in regards to buying this game - based on the ridiculously mediocre current critics average for "Madness Returns" - feel more at ease and give it a chance. I'm roughly 6 hours into the game and have been enjoying it immensely. As others here have mentioned, this game's art style in stunning. When Alice first enters Wonderland - which occurs very early in the game - I probably spent the first hour panning the camera around more than actually advancing forward; I was simply so in awe of the beauty of the environment. It frequently feels as if you're inside a Dali painting because the levels are so surreal and simultaneously gorgeous and terrifying. I'd also be remiss if I didn't at least briefly mention the pleasures of my encounters with the Cheshire Cat, who functions as a riddle-speaking source of "help" for Alice at various points in the game. Alice controls a bit like Spyro did back in the day; you'll need to master jumping & gliding in order to successfully conquer these levels. The game also features a mode that allows Alice to "shrink", which simultaneously functions as a way to reveal clues painted on walls to guide your way. This feature is handled much like Detective Mode was in Arkham Asylum, only better. Combat is your fairly typical hack, slash, and dodge, but it is satisfying. As for the glitches and annoyances that many critics have mentioned as a major reason for their deducting of review points, I can't quite understand what they are harping about. Will you run into the occasional invisible wall? Affirmative. Will that giant teapot with a crack in it the size of a doorway allow you inside to search for hidden goodies? Very doubtful. But you'll learn these quirks - and how to avoid them - within the first hour or so of the game. And as for the charge that I'm certain some people reading through these user reviews will level, that only American McGhee fanboys and original Alice devotees are rushing to defend this game... Well, I've never played the original (although I certainly have that on my agenda now following my experience with Madness so far), and no other American McGhee games, either. Whether it is right or wrong, most gamers nowadays look only at a game's Metascore when determining whether a game is worth a purchase or not. Fun and unique games like this will cease to be made (hell, this game feels almost fresh rather than dated, due to this generations complete avoidance of 3D platforming) if those of us who appreciate good games do not speak out in support of them - and get our fellow gamers to go buy them! Even if this game fails to sustain its admirable momentum for its second half (remember, I still have about half of the game remaining to play), I've already experienced enough fun to highly recommend it to others. Expand
  37. Jun 17, 2011
    Reviewers are somehow blind to what makes a game actually good I guess. Every game is repetitive, and yet only certain games does it seem to make the reviewer call it out. Black OPs is shooting bad guys for the entire campaign absolutely no change and yet it does not get hit with a lower score. Alice is an absolute joy to play each level you play has a very distinct art direction and makesReviewers are somehow blind to what makes a game actually good I guess. Every game is repetitive, and yet only certain games does it seem to make the reviewer call it out. Black OPs is shooting bad guys for the entire campaign absolutely no change and yet it does not get hit with a lower score. Alice is an absolute joy to play each level you play has a very distinct art direction and makes you feel like your truly in Alice's twisted world. The combat is smooth and fluid and actually makes you think about how to beat each enemy, you have to utilize each thing they give you even the block button which I admit I never use in other hack and slashes. There are a few graphical glitches but it doesn't detract from the gameplay, and if you've played the first Alice the games story is intriguing and makes you feel like an absolute continuation of the original story building on it The art is beautiful, the fighting engaging, the mini games give a nice change of pace but don't feel out of place. Don't listen to what paid reviewers have said about this game, instead look at what users are saying everyone is enjoying it and there's a reason!! This is a buy, especially since you get the first alice with it!! Expand
  38. Jun 17, 2011
    Graphics are not the greatest but backgrounds is pure eye candy. I catch myself getting lost into the game specially at night. The controls are so much better than the first PC version of Alice. The story is awesome, puzzles are fun. I don't want to release any spoilers about the game so I won't talk about the story. If you an American McGee Alice fan I would highly recommend getting this title.
  39. Jun 16, 2011
    Alice:Madness Returns could almost be a HD remake with it's outdated gameplay.The most basic kind of 3D platforming is in evidence here.Run,jump and one button melee your way through Alice's poorly designed levels finding none too subtle 'hidden areas and paths along the way.The excellent art style is almost ruined by some of the worst textures I've ever seen.Even on Hard,the enemiesAlice:Madness Returns could almost be a HD remake with it's outdated gameplay.The most basic kind of 3D platforming is in evidence here.Run,jump and one button melee your way through Alice's poorly designed levels finding none too subtle 'hidden areas and paths along the way.The excellent art style is almost ruined by some of the worst textures I've ever seen.Even on Hard,the enemies present little challenge and 'Death By Falling' is about the only worry you'll have.
    Despite all I've said,I did enjoy the game for a playthrough but will never touch it again.
  40. Jun 16, 2011
    An absolutely gorgeous game that needs a second look by the critics. Sure, it has a lot of jumping, gliding, and a bit of repetition, but what game doesn't? These days I feel reviewers are getting a bit too critical about very minor issues, and in the process they are dragging down some really amazing studios who have put in a ton of hard work to make some unique experiences. I have aAn absolutely gorgeous game that needs a second look by the critics. Sure, it has a lot of jumping, gliding, and a bit of repetition, but what game doesn't? These days I feel reviewers are getting a bit too critical about very minor issues, and in the process they are dragging down some really amazing studios who have put in a ton of hard work to make some unique experiences. I have a feeling if Alice was replaced with Mario, this one would have at least received a 9. The weapons, environments, animation & platforming are outstanding. In fact, the only gripe I'd have is the slight lack of variety of enemies, and the length of some of the stages. Otherwise, this is a must buy. Expand
  41. Jun 15, 2011
    While I have yet to beat Alice: Madness Returns I can say that my time with it has been very enjoyable. The art direction is fantastic and the level designs are exactly what you would expect from American McGee, they range from disturbing to tranquil.

Alice: Madness Returns is a fantastic platformer swimming in a sea of tired and old FPS' and dull action games and should definitely NOT be missed.
  42. Jun 15, 2011
    I wasn't expecting much of this game, but was greatly suprise. The creative side and the story (the way to tell it) are the strong point of this game, as much as the self-explain action/control. The only downside , like all the 3d plat-former, is the camera that sometime gets buggy (especially when focusing an enemy)

A great change of pace, i recommend it strongly
  43. Jun 14, 2011
    I would not be writing this review if i didn't feel that the critic scores grossly misrepresent the quality of this title. I feel as though low scores will be given simply because a game does not innovate--rather than it just being a bad game. Alice: Madness Returns is an excellent game and does not claim to, or want to push any new boundaries in gaming. Madness Returns offers a veryI would not be writing this review if i didn't feel that the critic scores grossly misrepresent the quality of this title. I feel as though low scores will be given simply because a game does not innovate--rather than it just being a bad game. Alice: Madness Returns is an excellent game and does not claim to, or want to push any new boundaries in gaming. Madness Returns offers a very nostalgic "oldschool" 3d platformer feel with slick combat to back it up. The puzzles in this game were quite lackluster and are a part of the reason why I will not give this game a 10. The points of Madness Returns that need to be highlighted are the art direction, sound, and story. The atmosphere that the art evokes in this game is simply stunning. I had similar feelings gazing into the distance in "Cardbridge" as I did perched atop a building overlooking a beautiful Italian vista in Assassin's Creed 2. Aiding the stunning landscapes in creating that feeling of Wonderland; is an amazing score, in addition to great character voice acting. (I have never said 'what' so delightfully, SO many times to the things the characters said)
    All of these great aspects of Madness Returns are nothing without a spine, without a story. The tale following the events of American McGee's Alice is an incredibly fun, creepy, and intriguing adventure that will keep you playing.

To top everything off the game is bundled with a code for American McGee's Alice... how can you go wrong with this game?
  44. Jun 14, 2011
    I have finished this game and I am confused because I thought it was absolutely wonderful. It felt like a flash back to older platforms with better graphics, great story, and controls that don't get in the way and feel very natural. I see the invisible walls which often bother me in most games but here the world is so very interesting I don't really care that I can't go somewhere that itI have finished this game and I am confused because I thought it was absolutely wonderful. It felt like a flash back to older platforms with better graphics, great story, and controls that don't get in the way and feel very natural. I see the invisible walls which often bother me in most games but here the world is so very interesting I don't really care that I can't go somewhere that it appears I might be able to. Also they have a great system that shows you important things so if there isn't a hint nearby you clearly can't go there.

I wonder it the same people that complain about how formulaic games are getting yet give all the COD games 9-10 scores and give wonderful games like this crappy ones. I only came hear after playing the game because I wanted to see if other people thought the game was as absolutely amazing as I did. I was expecting to see 80s, 90s from all the reviewers and was completely caught off guard by the low marks.
  45. Jun 14, 2011
    I knew the critic reviews for this were not going to be great for this game. I have played for quite a few hours now and it is a wonderful game, the colour and art is beautifully twisted as is expected and the combat is very fun. I think the reason the critic reviews are so low is because they are reviewing it as new IP since its been so long since the original was released but I believeI knew the critic reviews for this were not going to be great for this game. I have played for quite a few hours now and it is a wonderful game, the colour and art is beautifully twisted as is expected and the combat is very fun. I think the reason the critic reviews are so low is because they are reviewing it as new IP since its been so long since the original was released but I believe it shouldn't be reviewed this way. If you read the interviews with American McGee about this game he states he has no intentions of reinventing the wheel with this game. This is game is meant to be compared to the original, and is meant for the people who loved the original. If you play even just the first chapter of the original and then start playing this you'll see it's worth at least an 8. Now I know there will be people saying that a game shouldn't be reviewed this way but any true fans of the original will understand what I mean, and will probably buy it no matter what the reviews say. Expand
  46. Jun 14, 2011
    laotus
    laotus
    I was a little nervous after the first critic rang in with a 50....... BUT after playing it for the last 3 hours I can say that its easily a 7.5/10 that I will round up to 8 for this review. The music and audio is amazing, the gameplay is good (notice I did not say GREAT) as the fighting mechanics are sound I just wish there were more moves and weapons and the Puzzles seem a tad too easy which makes me not want to have to do them to begin with. Overall a solid game.
  47. Jun 28, 2011

1. Dec 12, 2011
    The levels are creative and artistic direction is solid, but the actual gameplay suffers from a lack of diversity and being clumped into big chunks.
  2. Sep 14, 2011
    All in all it's a decent game with only a few nagging issues to prevent it from being great. Comparatively, I think that the original did it better, but Spicy Horse has done a respectable job with the sequel.
  3. Aug 2, 2011
    Had Madness Returns cut its length by half and tossed in a few more gameplay mechanics, it could have easily been one of the best titles released this year.