Alice: Madness Returns Xbox 360

8.1

1. Jan 31, 2016
    Alice: Madness Returns is the sequel to the critically acclaimed American McGee's Alice. It takes place a year after original game in 1875 were Alice has been released from the asylum and now lives in an orphanage under the care of Dr Bumby. Alice is still traumatised by the fire that killed her entire family and Dr Bumby encourages her to go to Wonderland in her mind as a copingAlice: Madness Returns is the sequel to the critically acclaimed American McGee's Alice. It takes place a year after original game in 1875 were Alice has been released from the asylum and now lives in an orphanage under the care of Dr Bumby. Alice is still traumatised by the fire that killed her entire family and Dr Bumby encourages her to go to Wonderland in her mind as a coping mechanism. However in her visions Wonderland has changed and is much darker and twisted than how she left it. After several hallucinations of the Jabberwock Alice once again arrives in Wonderland.

Story: 8/10
    Madness Return's storyline is very strong but it does have some minor pacing issues. New players to the series will have no trouble keeping up with the storyline as it references the first game and the Lewis Carroll novels at the start of the game and through collectable memories found throughout the game. The storyline is quite engaging and you'll want to play on to continue Alice's adventure. However I found myself wanting the game to pick up pace as I progressed towards the later chapters. The characters and voice acting however are superb and actually likeable compared to most games these days. American McGee gives an interesting edge to each of Lewis Carroll's original characters such as Hatter who is a mechanical genius who is obsessed with time and clockwork.

Gameplay: 8/10
    From what I have played, Madness Returns's gameplay is quite similar to the first game but it has much more emphasis on hack n slash combat aswell as platforming. Like most hack n slash games it several basic moves such as a light attack, heavy attack, ranged attack aswell as dodge and block. Alice can equip several weapons and items at a time such as the Vorpal Blade and Pepper Grinder etc. The game has a basic upgrading system were Alice can upgrade several weapons by collecting "teeth" throughout the game. Personally I am a huge fan of the combination of hack n slash, platforming and RPG elements that Madness Returns uses however it does have several problems that bring it down. The camera angles and targeting system are very flawed and can be quite frustrating, for example when in a semi-large area and facing 3 or more enemies the targeting system can irrationally target far off enemies.

Graphics: 9/10

The environment and character designs for Madness Returns are very unique when compared to other games on the market. The artistic design really brings Lewis Carroll's Wonderland to life with a unique darker edge that only McGee can achieve. There is a wide range of environments that Alice travels through ranging from classic Wonderland forests to harsh arctic wastelands making each stage very different. Every new environment brings with it new diverse enemies that look and act differently such as goblins that use cutlery as weapons, undead card soldiers and sharks that hide in ice. The designs for characters in both Wonderland and London have their own unique style. Both the environments and character designs remind me of the Fable and Medevil series but with a refreshing edge.

Extras: 7/10

Madness Returns only has a singleplayer campaign but due to the diverse levels and the long length of story this is to be expected. I also cannot imagine however a multiplayer or co-op feature would play into the story so I am happy with just the singleplayer mode. However if you buy a new copy of the game on either the PS3 or Xbox 360 you are entitled to a free download of the original American McGee's Alice. This much appreciated extra expands the average play time of about 10-15 hours to about 20-25 hours. It is a simple port of the original game without any graphical updates which is slightly disappointing but not a problem.

Enjoyment: 8/10
    Personally I found Alice: Madness Returns extremely enjoyable but this is my type of game because its a little bit of everything as I mentioned earlier such as hack n slash, platforming and minor aspects of an RPG and a 3rd person shooter. The characters and environment design of this game really made the storyline very intriguing to me and I will definitely be buying my own copy of this for the PS3. As I mentioned earlier the problems with pacing and the targeting system are the only things that brought the enjoyment of this game down because at times they can be a big issue. I would recommend this to fans of the Fable series and platforming games such as Crash Bandicoot, Medievil and A Series Of Unfortunate Events.

Overall Rating: 8/10
  2. Jan 6, 2016
    Alice is a challenging game in both the good and bad senses of the word. The bad part is that it can be very frustrating at times, at least on the first play-through. Even on the easiest difficulty setting the game can be brutally hard at times and the lack of a quicksave function -- why do designers do this? -- eliminates any margin for error. You're likely to throw your controller downAlice is a challenging game in both the good and bad senses of the word. The bad part is that it can be very frustrating at times, at least on the first play-through. Even on the easiest difficulty setting the game can be brutally hard at times and the lack of a quicksave function -- why do designers do this? -- eliminates any margin for error. You're likely to throw your controller down and curse more than once. But if you stick with it, Alice is a genuinely rewarding experience.

It is a visually stunning and continually imaginative adventure (seriously, it's breath-taking at times) that somehow manages to both stay true to author Lewis Carroll's vision and be a kick-ass shooter at the same time. And once you beat it the first time, you unlock a variety of options that make it even more fun.

Yeah, presenting a dark, grim version of a classic literary fairy tale wasn't exactly innovative when Tim Burton first started doing it -- or for that matter, when Terry Gilliam was doing it -- but it still suits the materiel. And the game's take on Alice is actually a really compelling heroine. She's not an over-sexualized fantasy object. She's not a cutesy moppet. She's not a walking feminist lecture either. She's just a tough, plucky kid in a (literally) insane world. A kid who gets get to smash things with giant hammer.
  3. Oct 20, 2015
    Definitely worth playing through from beginning to end. Unfortunately I believe the QA department did not report how much the game would freeze to the point of having to exit the game then rebooting. I do not mind bugs here and there due to pushing for deadlines from the publisher but impeding gameplay is unacceptable. Overall the game is visually appealing and nailed Mcgees vision.Definitely worth playing through from beginning to end. Unfortunately I believe the QA department did not report how much the game would freeze to the point of having to exit the game then rebooting. I do not mind bugs here and there due to pushing for deadlines from the publisher but impeding gameplay is unacceptable. Overall the game is visually appealing and nailed Mcgees vision. The elements of the story kept me wanting to continue down the morbid path between reality and dream state. Even though the game would freeze I could not help but wait to reboot to continue where I left off. Didnt mind the mind games thrown in there which reminded me of what other games like silent hill attempt to do. Since playing the original game long ago this was a nice touch to the collection of American Mcgee's Alice. Expand
  4. May 31, 2015
    Despite a promising plot fails game in its gameplay, which becomes a repetitive EXPERIENCE, cloying, boring and even annoying. .
  5. Mar 9, 2015
    If you've never played this game, do yourself a favor and buy it now. I bought it out of a 10$ discount bin not expecting much but the game blindsided me and is now one of my favorites.

It's one of the best platformers made in my opinion. The atmosphere and "vibe" of the game is stunningly well done. Platforming and combat can become a bit repetitive on a couple of stages but the world is beautiful/twisted enough to motivate you to keep playing to see the level through. You can tell the developers took the extra bit of effort in the little details and it shows through the game play. Collectables are fairly well thought out and fun, if your not a collectem-all type of person you can skip this part pretty much entirely however I'm on my second play through just for them and am still finding the game enjoyable.

Drawbacks are the slightly annoying camera and lack of enemy variety but neither are much more than minor annoyances. Seriously, go buy this game right now if you haven't already.
  6. Dec 9, 2014
    This game's scenery and design is really beautiful and unique. The team did a nice job giving each level its own unique feel even though the same basic mechanics were in each of them. This helped keep the game entertaining even though a lot of it was very repetitive. Storyline was above average and interesting. This genre of game is not something I am typically into, but I found that itThis game's scenery and design is really beautiful and unique. The team did a nice job giving each level its own unique feel even though the same basic mechanics were in each of them. This helped keep the game entertaining even though a lot of it was very repetitive. Storyline was above average and interesting. This genre of game is not something I am typically into, but I found that it was executed really well.
    I was excited and impressed to see that they included the original title along with this game. I had played it as a kid back in 2000, so the nostalgia of that was fun and really appreciated. The port over was well done.
  7. Mar 3, 2014
    This game has a very dark, yet satisfyingly twisted plot with fantastic art direction and a beautiful soundtrack. however, the gameplay is very unsatisfying, with no combo system, and limited options for melee. still a pretty good game though.
  8. Feb 22, 2014
    What could've been a nostalgic nod to early platformers instead deliquesced into a heinously psychedelic video game with solid fighting mechanics going for it and nothing else. The first hour is worthy enough; I mean, jumping around from toadstool to toadstool is entertaining enough, I will give it that. But it slowly becomes an absurd chore and some of the creatures really are monstrous.
  9. Apr 13, 2013
    I'm giving this game a lower score because everyone seems so taken back by just the "interpretation" of the story and the visuals. Yes, you can spray paint a turd gold, but in the end, it's just a pretty turd. This game is simply a grinder. Despite some customizable elements, the gameplay itself is a grinder and I found myself just trying to get to the end of the game so I could retireI'm giving this game a lower score because everyone seems so taken back by just the "interpretation" of the story and the visuals. Yes, you can spray paint a turd gold, but in the end, it's just a pretty turd. This game is simply a grinder. Despite some customizable elements, the gameplay itself is a grinder and I found myself just trying to get to the end of the game so I could retire this on my shelf after one play. I would never recommend this game to anyone, it's just too dull to play. Expand
  10. Jan 31, 2013
    Alice: Madness Returns is a game that needs to be experienced. It's a wonderful journey through a weird and haunting place. This is a game that feels fresh in today's gaming world. So please, pick it up and give it a try.
  11. Jan 24, 2013
    Alice has got some of the most breathtaking visuals I have seen on the 360. The game is just utterly gorgeous to look at. Almost like the demented love child of Tim Burton & Don Bluth. But regardless of its visual beauty, the game itself is really just average. It's an old school platformer that really doesn't add anything new to the mix. In fact one could say that this style of gameplayAlice has got some of the most breathtaking visuals I have seen on the 360. The game is just utterly gorgeous to look at. Almost like the demented love child of Tim Burton & Don Bluth. But regardless of its visual beauty, the game itself is really just average. It's an old school platformer that really doesn't add anything new to the mix. In fact one could say that this style of gameplay is rather dated, but I will stick to old-school just to be polite. Levels are fun to explore, but not to play. The action is just so slow and the games pacing can be tedious at times. Platforming sections work for the most part, but do face their fair share of frustration due to awkward camera controls. Puzzles are either ridiculously easy or incredibly obscure. Overall: Alice: Madness Returns is a worth playing for the visuals alone, but don't expect a game that'll keep you on the edge of your seat. It's fun, but the dated & repetitive gameplay does get a bit dull. Expand
  12. Oct 31, 2012
    A surprise hit for me and well worth a playthrough or more. Some of the imagery is extremely well done. Puzzles aren't too tricky however gameplay is no slouch and weapons are interesting. Controls are very tight and the levels and challenges are diverse. Madness Returns is sure to impress true console gamers willing to give it a chance with an open mind. This one is not just for the girls.
  13. Oct 11, 2012
    Alice: Madness Returns certainly has a unique art style and stunning visuals. The gameplay itself is agreeably varied and fun. However, some attempts at varying the pace, such as a few 2D platforming and pinball stages, are boring and start to drag near the end of the game. Storyline, however, is quite well done. Definitely one of the most underrated games I've played on this console, andAlice: Madness Returns certainly has a unique art style and stunning visuals. The gameplay itself is agreeably varied and fun. However, some attempts at varying the pace, such as a few 2D platforming and pinball stages, are boring and start to drag near the end of the game. Storyline, however, is quite well done. Definitely one of the most underrated games I've played on this console, and it's certainly worth at least a rent. Expand
  14. Aug 24, 2012
    This game has 90% of the things needed to make an excellent game but it let down by just a couple of (fairly large) features. Visually, the game is stunning and the artwork both in Wonderland and in London is fantastic, and well worth pausing to admire. Combat is simple, but fits well within the theme and restraints of the game. Dodging is done in a flurry of butterflies and the weaponsThis game has 90% of the things needed to make an excellent game but it let down by just a couple of (fairly large) features. Visually, the game is stunning and the artwork both in Wonderland and in London is fantastic, and well worth pausing to admire. Combat is simple, but fits well within the theme and restraints of the game. Dodging is done in a flurry of butterflies and the weapons (although arguably not enough in number) are inventive and varied enough to provide entertainment.

Sadly, the game is flawed in its
  15. Aug 3, 2012
    Alice does a lot of things right. It has an interesting art design, good voice acting and a satisfying combat. The atmosphere is splendid and the story would be good if the majority of the game didnt feel like filler. And that is the problem with this game. Even if the platforming and combat is alright in it self is it not in any way good or challenging enough to carry the game on its own.Alice does a lot of things right. It has an interesting art design, good voice acting and a satisfying combat. The atmosphere is splendid and the story would be good if the majority of the game didnt feel like filler. And that is the problem with this game. Even if the platforming and combat is alright in it self is it not in any way good or challenging enough to carry the game on its own. The majority of the game is spent going to character A or doing a fetch quest for character B with the occasional puzzle. The game has some nice and quirky gameplay ideas here and there but they cant compensate for the fact that the largest part of the game is simply repetitive and boring. The game is quite long but personally i would have enjoyed the game a lot more if it was shorter and more compact. Quality>Quantity. Expand
  16. Jun 13, 2012
    I always felt like this game was underrated. I mean playing it today, for the third time, I can't believe how some of these professional reviewers have bashed the game and slapped it with such mediocre scores, which sadly, many people will take one look at and never give this game a chance.

This game does so much right: compelling story, VERY beautiful and immersive enviroments/art design/graphics, simple yet exciting combat, fluid controls, good voice acting, replay value, etc. This is honestly one of the only few games that made me stop and marvel at the scenery, plus every enviroment is diverse enough so even if platforming can sometime get tedious, it's still fun to keep going.

The only cons about this game are the textures can sometimes look muddy/distorted, pacing is off in that levels are stretched too long, some mini games are boring and repeated too often. But all of this does not equal a mediocre game in my opinion. Most of these flaws are so minor and doesn't even affect the game all that much.

Sometimes I feel like the people reviewing the game are just so used to blockbuster games (uncharted, assassin's creed, call of duty, etc.) therefore if a unique game like alice comes out, it doesn't match their "standards" of what a good game should be. Does alice madness returns feel like an old school game? Yes. Is alice madness returns innovative? No. And you know what, that's ok. Unfortunately these so called "professional" don't seem to comprehend this concept rather anything with crosshairs and headshots are considered great games.
  17. Jan 4, 2012
    Un juego excelente, es el claro ejemplo que critica y usuarios no siempre están de acuerdo. La historia es muy madura y absorbe desde el principio. Una ambientación preciosa donde se nota el trabajo artístico que hay detrás del juego. Sobre la jugabilidad cabe destacar que los movimientos de Alice responden a la perfección,Un juego excelente, es el claro ejemplo que critica y usuarios no siempre están de acuerdo. La historia es muy madura y absorbe desde el principio. Una ambientación preciosa donde se nota el trabajo artístico que hay detrás del juego. Sobre la jugabilidad cabe destacar que los movimientos de Alice responden a la perfección, los puzzles son entretenidos y las peleas contra los enemigos muy variadas ya que cada uno tiene diferentes debilidades y nos obliga a utilizar el coco en vez de machacar botones.
    Sobre el único defecto que tiene el juego, y a sido sobre explotado por los medios para bajarle la puntuación, es la carga de textura que en mi opinión no son tan extenuantes como la prensa nos quiere hacer creer. Sinceramente es mi GOTY del 2011.
  18. Dec 21, 2011
    This game is truly unique, I love the way Wonderland is interpreted, it's basically Alice's mind, so as her sanity begins to slip and her mind becomes corrupted so does Wonderland, and you really notice the changes, and while that's cool the presentation does suffer from bland graphics, bad voice acting, and a story with plot holes, the graphics aren't a real problem when your inThis game is truly unique, I love the way Wonderland is interpreted, it's basically Alice's mind, so as her sanity begins to slip and her mind becomes corrupted so does Wonderland, and you really notice the changes, and while that's cool the presentation does suffer from bland graphics, bad voice acting, and a story with plot holes, the graphics aren't a real problem when your in Wonderland as long as you don't look to closely as the levels all have very unique themes that keep you interesting and dying to see what the world will look like as you progress, but the environmental graphics aren't 100%, the part of the game of the graphics that are 100% is Alice (when she's in Wonderland), her dresses, face, hair, and animations look fantastic and are incredibly well done, but during the sections when your in London the graphics go straight down hill, the environments and character animations, including Alice herself are all ugly, and the voice acting goes is also weak ranging from bad to passable, and the story behind it all ends up coming together in the end, and I admit I like the fact that it touched on things like insanity, rape, murder, and prostitution with such a high level of maturity, I understand why other developers don't touch on these things, but they fit the tone of this game perfectly, and like I said they were incredibly mature in dealing with these extremely touchy subjects, however a design choice later in the game in the form of triple sixes being in certain parts of the game I feel is incredibly inappropriate, and I'm not just saying this because of my religious views, but because it's tasteless and an immature move on the creators behalf, but even with its minor presentation issues it's backed by strong gameplay which reminded me of old school N64 platformers, it also has strong combat which is like a hack and slash but with more depth, yes you can just button mash to kill certain enemies, but most require tactics to defeat which makes beating a large group of enemies extremely satisfying, and it also mixes up the gameplay with the occasional fun minigame, sections where your a giant, or just switching it up from a 3D platformer to a 2 one, all these sections are incredibly fun and keep the game from getting stale, there are also tons of collectibles like bottles or memories, the latter playing out like the recordings from the Bioshock games (although most aren't nearly as interesting), and also has a new game+ option which is a very nice touch, I know it sounds like I don't like this game, but actually I really like it, it has me dying to play the original, and I do recommend it to older audiences (because of the mature subject matter), one of the best games of 2011 for sure. Expand
  19. Oct 4, 2011
    To me, a game I remember vividly each level and design months and months later is a success. Alice: Madness Returns was one of those games. I played the original American McGee's Alice on PC about a year ago after hearing about it. I loved the dark setting but couldn't get fully immersed because of the hard control scheme on PC. To my delight, I heard they were making a sequel! and on theTo me, a game I remember vividly each level and design months and months later is a success. Alice: Madness Returns was one of those games. I played the original American McGee's Alice on PC about a year ago after hearing about it. I loved the dark setting but couldn't get fully immersed because of the hard control scheme on PC. To my delight, I heard they were making a sequel! and on the Xbox!
    To me the game was a visually stunning piece, even if the graphics weren't futuristic BF3 something or other, I feel like the graphics accented the theme of the game nicely and I had no problem with them. The game is meant to look more unreal, after all. The story was pretty good, although I was a little lost at times as to what was going on, I usually would figure it out after a few minutes or so. The combat was fun and yes, maybe it got repetitive after a while but the stunning levels and new enemies kept me going. The level design was astounding, and I still remember the ruined halls of the Red Queen's castle and the satisfying underwater segment. The setting is changed so rapidly it really keeps you interested and you're never in one place too long. Also the surprise of where Alice was headed next also kept me immersed, and guessing. Overall I wouldn't go as far to say this is a GOTY but I can defiantly recommend this to anyone who loves the dark fantasy/action genre and I will probably be replaying it sometime to get back into that twisted world and dark atmosphere that is American McGee's Alice.
  20. Sep 27, 2011
    This game took a lot of imagination to create. I was very impressed with the psychological mind trip figure-out-what-is-really-going-on feel to this game. The hidden objects are fun to collect, the weapons and upgrades were entertaining to use, and the art direction can be categorized as "top notch". This game is not for the immature, younger crowd. There are some very serious, matureThis game took a lot of imagination to create. I was very impressed with the psychological mind trip figure-out-what-is-really-going-on feel to this game. The hidden objects are fun to collect, the weapons and upgrades were entertaining to use, and the art direction can be categorized as "top notch". This game is not for the immature, younger crowd. There are some very serious, mature themes throughout this story. I have one problem, although it is not with the gameplay. My problem is that, although it is possible to buy the original Alice game on the Xbox Marketplace, you cannot play it unless you also have this game (Alice: Madness Returns). To launch the original Alice after purchasing it on the Marketplace...you must do so from within THIS game's menu. Expand
  21. Sep 9, 2011
    There's some great animation, fantastic voice acting, and the levels have jaw-dropping visual design. It's also painfully repetitive. If you're willing to put up with the tedium then it's certainly worth a look for the prettiness alone... but if you want a game with equally good visual design, a sharper wit, a truckload more originality, better level design, better pacing, and a smarterThere's some great animation, fantastic voice acting, and the levels have jaw-dropping visual design. It's also painfully repetitive. If you're willing to put up with the tedium then it's certainly worth a look for the prettiness alone... but if you want a game with equally good visual design, a sharper wit, a truckload more originality, better level design, better pacing, and a smarter take on the levels-inside-the-mind theme, then you might want to consider Psychonauts instead. Expand
  22. Sep 1, 2011
    I have been loving this game, but I must admit it is mostly because of its visual concept. The game is basically a platformer with the type of game play you would expect from a 3D Rayman or Super Mario title, and quite repetitive. But that works for me just right because it forces me to explore every little corner to collect all the items and admire the artwork as I play. Relaxing forI have been loving this game, but I must admit it is mostly because of its visual concept. The game is basically a platformer with the type of game play you would expect from a 3D Rayman or Super Mario title, and quite repetitive. But that works for me just right because it forces me to explore every little corner to collect all the items and admire the artwork as I play. Relaxing for the most part, frustrating occasionally, I recommend this game if you are a fan of the characters and/or if you want to see something that looks original, even if it doesn't play that way. Expand
  23. Aug 4, 2011
    I fell in love with this game within the first five minutes of playing. The backgrounds and character designs are absolutely beautiful, and the story is gripping. One of the most interesting aspects of it is the theme of Alice's insanity and trying to use Wonderland as a means so work out her problems. The combat is smooth, and easy to get the hang of. All in all one of the best games II fell in love with this game within the first five minutes of playing. The backgrounds and character designs are absolutely beautiful, and the story is gripping. One of the most interesting aspects of it is the theme of Alice's insanity and trying to use Wonderland as a means so work out her problems. The combat is smooth, and easy to get the hang of. All in all one of the best games I have played this year. Expand
  24. Jul 19, 2011
    melhor visualizado em: criticalplayer.com.br

melhor visualizado em: criticalplayer.com.br

Jogo lançado em 14 de Junho de 2011, produzido pela desconhecida Spicy Horse e distribuído pela EA. Alice: Madness Returns é uma grotesca e macabra distorção da obra original de Lewis Carroll, Alice no país das Maravilhas (não vou entrar em detalhes porque não conheço mas deve ser aqueles típicos contos de fadas a lá Disney) criada do pelo designer de games American McGee. O estilo é ação/plataforma em terceira pessoa com combate baseado em armas.

O enredo conta a história de Alice, uma adolescente recém saída de um hospício, em uma busca de respostas para o que aconteceu no dia em que sua família tragicamente morreu queimada dentro de sua própria casa (motivo pelo qual, ela foi parar no hospício).
    A busca ocorre dentro de um mundo criado pela própria Alice dentro de sua mente. No decorrer do jogo, ao encontrar partes da memória e completar os capítulos, a verdadeira história para o acidente vai sendo contada.

A jogabilidade é bem simples e intuitiva, todos os controles são muito bem explicados e assimilados no decorrer do gameplay. Com ressalva para um problema que ocorre em alguns pontos do cenário que trava a movimentação da personagem.

A câmera pode ser controlada livremente ou pode ser fixada em um inimigo (no estilo Zelda dos áurios tempos de N64). O arsenal é composto por uma faca (a melhor no combate corpo-a-corpo, é bem rápida, mas tira pouca energia), uma espécie de martelo em formato de cavalo (boa quando os inimigos estão amontoados, ela é devastadora e quebra a guarda de alguns inimigos apesar de ser lenta), um moedor que atira pimenta (ideal para inimigos voadores), um bule que atira chá quente (bom para matar inimigos amontoados a longa distância) e um boneco-bomba (distrai os inimigos e é essencial para resolução de alguns quebra-cabeças).

A utilização do modo â
  25. Jul 10, 2011
    Game of the year! This is one of the best and most mature games I've played this whole year. It consistently adds new things like environments, enemies, gameplay mechanics, and characters. It creates a creepy vibe that no other can match in all honesty. The platform design in this game is nothing short of magical at times, the combat is super fluid, and the story is top of the line. PlusGame of the year! This is one of the best and most mature games I've played this whole year. It consistently adds new things like environments, enemies, gameplay mechanics, and characters. It creates a creepy vibe that no other can match in all honesty. The platform design in this game is nothing short of magical at times, the combat is super fluid, and the story is top of the line. Plus the visuals are mind blowing. You really appreciate what Spicy Horse fit into every nook and cranny of this game because of how magnificent and original the whole world feels despite being a sequel.

All I gotta say is that I hope for another and those who associate low quality with Alice: Madness Returns does not know the meaning of the word quality.
  26. Jul 8, 2011
    Not sure why the critics weren't as crazy about this game. The art direction is stunning, the story is intelligent and twisted, and the combat is unique and challenging. The campaign took me around 15-20 hours to complete, and during that time I always felt like there was something new to discover. Though the gameplay might be considered shallow and derivative by some, I chose toNot sure why the critics weren't as crazy about this game. The art direction is stunning, the story is intelligent and twisted, and the combat is unique and challenging. The campaign took me around 15-20 hours to complete, and during that time I always felt like there was something new to discover. Though the gameplay might be considered shallow and derivative by some, I chose to compare it to a game like Darksiders - both games take from older games like Zelda, but they manage to repackage the addicting gameplay in a way that makes it feel new and exciting. I only had a couple complaints about Alice, one being that 4 weapons (upgradable though they might be) feels like a small number for such a long game, and the other complaint being that the final chapter is underwhelming compared to the previous ones. Other than that, Alice should prove to be an incredibly rewarding game experience for anyone, regardless of if you played the original PC version (which is included for free, so if you feel obligated to play that first, then I still recommend getting this game). Expand
  27. Jun 28, 2011
    GREAT GAME. Don't be fulled by the reviewers score, they underestimated this game, because it is really Amazing. Beautiful Art !! and a very interesting trama. Developers really made a great effort in offering a unique experience. Also if you buy the game from retail (new) you get the EA online pass code, so that you can download for free the original "Alice" on you console (the firstGREAT GAME. Don't be fulled by the reviewers score, they underestimated this game, because it is really Amazing. Beautiful Art !! and a very interesting trama. Developers really made a great effort in offering a unique experience. Also if you buy the game from retail (new) you get the EA online pass code, so that you can download for free the original "Alice" on you console (the first game) so you would be getting 2 great games. Even after the game lacks of multiplayer it offers 4 levels of difficulty and a lot of hours of gameplay. You won't regret it I swear. Expand
  28. Jun 27, 2011
    The original American McGee's Alice arrived during what I call The Golden Age of PC Gaming. We had great original stuff like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, No One Lives Forever (both of which received pitiful console ports), and Clive Barker's Undying. Alice was, to me, a dark, fantastic retelling of the old story for a grownup audience. Even though it was tied to the now ancient Quake 3 engineThe original American McGee's Alice arrived during what I call The Golden Age of PC Gaming. We had great original stuff like Giants: Citizen Kabuto, No One Lives Forever (both of which received pitiful console ports), and Clive Barker's Undying. Alice was, to me, a dark, fantastic retelling of the old story for a grownup audience. Even though it was tied to the now ancient Quake 3 engine and hardware limitations of the time, it managed to be creative, artistic, very difficult at times, and a very nice looking game, primarily due to the textures. Here we are eleven years later, with hardware that can pull off pretty much any sort of amazing visuals imaginable, as well as doing a better job of telling a story without using pre-rendered cinematics, and all I can think of is how much better the first game was. I really thought we were through having to endure low-res, 8-bit color textures now that the PS2 is put to rest. Visually, what we have are higher polygon counts for models and level geometry, often painted in a most sloppily manner...nice particle effects, a bit of bloom, and the ever-present shiny-reflective surfaces. This just seems lazy, as if the entire art department consisted of two guys from Singapore with unpronounceable names. Ever since "American" McGee decided to outsource everything to his newly discovered cheap labor force, apparently for pennies on the dollar, things have gone predictably down hill. It's still a pretty fun game, but it's really a step backward, all things considered. The creative spark that was so prominent back then has all but disappeared. Expand
  29. Jun 25, 2011
    I don't know what critics are smoking these days, and maybe the console version was lesser (as I haven't played it on console), but the PC version is drop-dead gorgeous, incredible continuation of the story, fluid, twisted, wicked, and just downright fun to play. It has all the elements prior, and alot of new ones.

American Mcgee definetely has not lost his touch here, and it's a well

American Mcgee definetely has not lost his touch here, and it's a well orchestrated sequel that plays, sounds, and feels flawless. Simply compare the amazing user score to the mediocre critic score, and its obvious they either did not play it, or just didn't care. Easily a 10/10.

1. Dec 12, 2011
    The levels are creative and artistic direction is solid, but the actual gameplay suffers from a lack of diversity and being clumped into big chunks.
  2. Sep 14, 2011
    All in all it's a decent game with only a few nagging issues to prevent it from being great. Comparatively, I think that the original did it better, but Spicy Horse has done a respectable job with the sequel.
  3. Aug 2, 2011
    Had Madness Returns cut its length by half and tossed in a few more gameplay mechanics, it could have easily been one of the best titles released this year.