3.8

1. Mar 26, 2013
    Whats bad about this game? what's good about this game? That's the easier question.
    Bad graphics, dumb story, REPETITIVE GAMEPLAY, and HUMAN ENEMIES in this new creation from gearbox. I hate this game. I really do. Not because of the bad qualities, although that's a good reason, BECAUSE IT'S ALIENS AND I FEEL LIKE ITS JUST A TERRIBLE KNOCKOFF OF COD. Now i can tell what you what happened
    to that awesome demo in 2012, whatever it is, it's aliens colonial marines. This.... Game isn't. This is a shooter that doesn't hold up to its competition in the slightest. This is quite possibly, the worst game I have ever played. I know that there are worse games. But I haven't played them. Here's a challenge, play on ultimate badass mode, alone, with no one else even in the room to talk to, and TRY to have fun. This game makes me sad, gearbox has fallen. They have sealed their reputation not only as liars and cheats,but they have destroyed their reputation by making a false demo, making false promises, and using the hype machine to boost sales. DON'T WASTE YOU'RE MONEY ON THIS. If you really want a good aliens game, try the avp game that came out in 2010. But this game isn't worth a triple a price if it isn't a triple a game. Expand
  2. Mar 16, 2013
    I'm surprised after so many years of waiting for the this game to come to find the the game is full of glitches and bug with a average story line. the only thing i could so i liked was the multiplayer and the weapon customization team up with friend online is so much better than playing the game alone
  3. Mar 25, 2013
    Boring story without anything nice dont buy the game what they have done on the demo isn't truth Graphics are good but not enough, the only thing it's nice but with a lots of bugs it's the multiplayer stuff!
  4. Mar 31, 2013
    Let me first start of by saying I've been waiting for this game ever since 2008 when it was announced for current gen consoles. First off It is a very short game 5-7 hours even on the hardest difficulty which I have done. But the first thing you'll notice is the graphics, which are quit dated to be honest. All of the negatives aside this game is great for aliens fans. The new types of aliens make sense with in the aliens universe and are quit cool to say the least. In all aliens is a okay game that need more time in development. Expand
  5. Jul 28, 2013
    The game is terrible, awful AI and terrible graphics... That was what I thought before the patch, now, the game has good voice acting, good graphics, good AI and there have been a few moments where I have actually been scared by the game. Although this game is not the one shown to us in 2012 at E3, the game is great and I would highly recommend it to everyone, even people who are not fans of the Aliens franchise. Expand
  6. Sep 10, 2013
    Rent it maybe only if your curious about multiplayer because thats the only thing that isn't painfully average or bad in this game. Do not buy, if you skip this game you won't miss anything.
  7. Feb 13, 2013
    Aliens CM is a disappointment. The promotion trailers for the game showed that you were in for a quick, fast paced, adrenaline ride campaign. Sadly the campaign is the complete opposite. Slow, boring with no real drive for you to keep playing. It's a shame really because at times you can see what this game could have been. The environments look like Aliens, the game sounds like Aliens, but it doesn't feel like Aliens.

The multiplayer has it's good moments and contains more thrills than the boring, lackluster campaign.
    You play online games of Aliens Vs Marines in a few game modes. The escape mode is the more interesting option as the marines have to travel from A-B whilst being hunted down by the alien hoarde. This means welding doors shut, placing sentries and using iconic big weaponry like the Smart Gun. Whilst it's all fun for the marines, the aliens are extremely easy to dispatch meaning playing as the aliens can be quite boring. The biggest downside to this game mode is that it's only on 2 maps so this can get old, real quick.

Other games modes are available such as standard team deathmatch (which feels really unbalanced at present) and extermination (think domination on Call of Duty)

Sadly across the multiplayer and the single player is poor game engine that never seems to work. Walking down stairs looks ridiculous because there is no animation, just bouncing up and down and the game is rampant with bugs, textures popping in and out and is simply a graphical mess.

All and all, I enjoy the game at times, but not enough to recommend to anyone but extreme fans of the Aliens universe.
  8. Feb 12, 2013
    So, apparently it takes years of delays and disappointment before you can release a truly awful game. Aliens: Colonial Marines is exhibit A. This comes from a big Aliens fan who has waited and waited for this title to be released.
    The graphics and textures make you think you're playing on the original Xbox, the story for the woefully short game is also dire (yes, a game with less than 6
    hours of gameplay), no tension in the game and the motion tracker is a waste of time.
    Looks like Sega replaced their 'QA' dept with a 'Do we look bothered about the product' department.
    Don't get me started with the strange option to put a supressor onto your pulse rifle, only to find that you can't take it back off). Leave this load of rubbish well alone and keep your hard earned cash in your pocket.
  9. Feb 12, 2013
    This is going to be one of those "love or hate" type games, which to me is a complete surprise. I will admit I am a huge fan of the Alien universe and I actually think Gearbox have done a good job of making this game. The story is quite enjoyable and even though there is the occasional animation glitch etc overall I think the game is really polished. You can tell that the people who designed this game like the Aliens lore too. There are some nice and subtle throw backs to Aliens. Co-op is good fun and holds up well although the teleporting back together when people split up too much is a bit of a let down. I'm really enjoying the VS multiplayer as there are plenty of decent unlocks and it is done a lot better than AvP's efforts. Controlling the Xenomorphs is now easier thanks to a 3rd person view.

I do think the campaign is pretty short but having split screen 2 player co-op, plus 4 player online co-op and 5 vs 5 VS multiplayer makes up for the short campaign. I think this is a must if you are an Aliens fan and perhaps take a look first before deciding if you are not.
  10. Mar 14, 2013
    It really is a shame that this game didn't get the polish it deserved because that's pretty much all its missing. I grew up with the first two Aliens movies and if you're like me in this respect you'll probably enjoy this game. You'll forgive it for glitchy graphics, odd sound now and again and some screen tear because it'll bring you back to those first films, Newt, Ripley, Hicks, motion trackers and the scream of a xenomorph.

To enjoy this game you have to be invested in the Alien Universe. That doesn't excuse the unfinished nature of the product but the poor reviews shouldn't put Aliens fans off playing this game.
  11. Feb 19, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines (A:CM) is not nearly as bad as most of the reviews I've read have indicated.
    We'll probably never know for certain why the final game's visuals do not match the now-infamous E3 Demo, and it's absolutely true that the gameplay is derivative (it's Left4Dead in the Aliens universe), but if you're a fan of either Left4Dead _or_ Aliens, I can recommend this game to you
    for its frenetic action and occasionally intense atmosphere, for its Aliens fan-service, and for its great fun coop and versus multiplayer.

It's fair to say I enjoyed this game despite its flaws, and it IS flawed, but I can also say I have had and continue to have a lot more fun with A:CM than I've had with many of the much better received recent games. I've definitely paid more for less with other games.

If you're looking for a good, balanced review, I can recommend Good Game's review (Australia's ABC TV), which is one of the very few balanced reviews I've seen. They called its flaws, but also recognised the positives in its offering.

My take is this: The game is a good fun FPS in the vein of Left4Dead, and like that game is a lot more fun when played with friends. The visuals are decidedly 2-years-ago in quality, and that's disappointing, but not unforgivable. I have not seen any of the AI bugs mentioned in reviews I've read, which either means I'm blind, incredibly lucky or they were patched Day One. The level design is pretty good, and some of the levels are genuinely scary if played on Ultimate Badass (Hope in Hadleys, for example).

Personally, I think anyone who scored A:CM less than a 6 out of 10 is suffering from a really terrible case of Disappoint that he or she just cannot see past (which makes them very poor critics in my book Patricia at Kotaku, I'm looking at you as I type this).
  12. Mar 6, 2013
    Don't buy this game. Shocking A.I, rubbish story, it looks sounds and plays like an old PS1 game....and that isn't even fair to most PS1 games. I am a fan of the Alien movies, but this just wipes it arse with all the best bits from the movies. This game was 7 years in production and it is a disgrace to the industry. Should never been allowed to come out. Do yourself a favour and stay away.
  13. Feb 12, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines have bad graphics i've already completed the campaign but didn't play the multiplayer matches. The campaign is really repetitive and i just could play it because i was playing split-screen with my friend, that help me to get to the end of this game. I recommend only for those fans of aliens series and even them i know if gonna like it. The only cool thing is see a formed group going down. Expand
  14. Feb 13, 2013
    So this is my first time ever writing a review for something.....ever. I've been a gamer ever since the NES came out. (sheesh..I feel lold). I am also a big movie buff and remember seeing Alien and Aliens when I was younger and it scared me to death! It also was one of the best forms of story telling I have ever seen in horror movies. So, for me as a gamer mixing the too is HUGE! I've played all the major titles like Gears of War, God of War, Mario Bros, etc, etc. So in this review I want to talk to the people I feel this will appeal to. Is the game worth $60....no....it is not...I payed that and it is not. Also a heads up to those of you getting the Collector's Edition...the "statute" is smaller than the game case...so I downgraded...I was hoping for something more along the lines of the Marcus statue I own from Gears of War 3. I did not get the game that was advertised....doesn't match the screen shots...or hype that we were promised....but....we did get pieces of that promised expierence...and that has been enough for me. The graphics are 1st gen 360 (Turok) and there is a lot of screen tearing in single player...but....the sound is amazing....and took me right back to the days of hiding behind the couch in fear of seeing what the aliens were going to do to people. But...back to the game....I've enjoyed this game....ENJOYED!...not like Call of Duty...Battlefield.....Gears of War......but as an Aliens game.....Yes...you do play through the same levels as the movie....and people complain....Are you telling me that you are a fan and have no interest of seeing those same scenes in PLAYABLE FORM!!! Come on! When I was a kid I dreamed of going down those corriders and shooting those aliens with every gun, gernade, and friend I have ever seen in Aliens, and here...you finally get to do it!!! This is a game for Aliens fans looking for more aliens.....not Aliens fans looking for Halo 4, Call of Duty, and Battlefield, but fans who loved the material. Yes the graphics bothered me at first....esp. when I saw there was screen tearing in the start menu...bluh...but I have become engrossed in this franchise and if you want a really "creepy, scary" version of the game the play AVP from 2010...I thought it was more edgy...but if you wanna scream "let's rock" and shootem up with a friend...DO IT!!!! I thought the story was good...not great...but not bad....but it functions! and I think pretty well. The sound....the sound is Great!!!....From the pulse rifle...to the motion tracker...its great! And for the people complaining about having so many weapons....apprently you didn't see the movies...they were LOADED!!! They had all these toys! Yea...you can't carry that many in real life...but at least you can say...oh yea....this is a smart gun moment!...too bad I can only do that on level 2....nope...now you can do it whenever....Now for multiplayer...I hated it....at first....its starting to grow on me.....and yes...the camera and controls suck for the aliens....but once you invest some time into them....it got better....and the marines were always fun to play as....but everyone will find their mode in it.....so....overall this is what I have to say rating this game.... Graphics- 6 Sound- 10 Gameplay- 7 Replay- 7 One review on here summed it up.....some people are gonna love it....some people are gonna hate it! But only review if you've played it.....I'm pretty sure a lot of the negative reviews are from those who haven't even played the game...but if you have and felt this way....then it wasn't meant for you....its generic....and outdated....but it still captures something for me that I found in the films. Curiosity and the fun that comes from the Alien universe....I play games because they are fun....its how they are supposed to be! And just for the record....these reviews you "fans" put out that people read....are the reason the game industry is failing...when investors see these numbers and comments....they make big decisions based on these....I don't want any developers to go under....cause its less product for us!! They don't play the games....and when they see this....adios developers...publishers...etc....so take that into account before you go trashing a game...especially if its one you haven't played or don't like cause its the "other guy"......if anyone reads this...thanks for your time....hope you have a great one!… Collapse Expand
  15. Feb 13, 2013
    Please don't buy this game, it's a major disappointment all round. It's so bad I felt compelled to sign up to metacritic so that I could prevent others making the same mistake as me. Save your money or better yet, buy Borderlands 2 if you haven't already got it.
  16. Feb 21, 2013
    Not the greatest game ever made by far and I did encounter some weird glitches but overall its a pretty good game, AI wasnt the best but it responded fairly well, controls were good and were responsive and why does everyone keep complaining about the graphics? Good graphics dont equal amazing gameplay people (look at minecraft as an example of why graphics don't matter), quite a few reviews have marked it down solely because of graphics. My opinion is it's not going to win many (if any) awards but the game is solid and the DLC they plan to release may be incredible, the game isn't finished people, there will be Patches, Updates and Add-Ons that take this game to a whole new level. Expand
  17. Feb 16, 2013
    PC Version. Graphics looks much much better than console version. Sometimes there are very nice lighting and shadows. Story is good, First time since 1986 we can play proper story in this franchise, Most of all I like multiplayer It is much better than AVP2010, it has nice dynamic and tension, many upgrades and other combination stuff, you can build your own soldier and xenomorph, and it is much better than Natural Selection 2 also, not boring( to me NS2 became boring very soon), it has nice graphics, many ways to play it, in the begining you must uprade your xenos to make them stronger, because they are rather weak on first level. Well if you are fan of Aliens and also wanna play better multiplayer than AVP2010 and Natural Selection 2. This is the game for you. Expand
  18. Feb 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like this game and I don't care about you idiots that do the same things on first shooters its different and fun I'm a very old gamer I've being playing everything ,this game is fun ,in campaign and in multiplayer rocks even in call of duty are glitches and crap of stuff and people that complain about any single stupid thing when there loosing anyway this game is a keeper is a solid 8.5 Expand
  19. Feb 18, 2013
    I am a huge Aliens fan. This game is made for THAT person. I don't even think that the campaign is that short as long as you don't play it on the cry baby easy setting. It has tons of Alien "eggs" for you to discover. As in "Easter eggs". Lot's of content that bring you into the universe of the "ALIENS" movie. I don't want to spoil it. But, you may want to polish up on your knowledge of the movies. Because some of the stuff is really subtle. But, it's there. And, it's cool. There is a lot of ACTION in this game. Yes, it's run and gun. But, that's what being on a "bug hunt" IS. Just hearing the "pulse rifle" and "smart gun" blasting in 7.1 surround sound really pulls you in. The graphics are not BAD like a lot of the mega-nerds are describing. They aren't incredible. But, they definitely are cool enough to pull you in. The SOUND CREW is what gets an A+++++ from me. Everything from the gun sounds, motion tracker to stepping on aliens residue has been done to perfection. Top that all off with music that sounds like it is right from the movie and you have one heck of a cool action game for an alien fan.

Anyway, because of the reviews, you can probably get this game for under $40 in a month. But, I think it's cool enough to pay $60. Yes, this game could have been SPECTACULAR and ended up being below that standard/expectation. But, I enjoyed every second of this game.

Turn off the lights and blast the stereo sound and I guarantee you will have fun with this one if you like the movie ALIENS at all.
  20. Feb 20, 2013
    This game reminds me a lot of Operation Racoon City. The verybad news is Operation Racoon City is a better game. ACm doesn't even make me want to try to finish it. ORC at least did that. Gearbox blew it big time here.
  21. Mar 12, 2013
    Ok graphics may not be top drawer, but gameplay is very good. What you need to recall is that the original Aliens movie wasn't an amazing film in the first place, it had ropey effects and cheesy acting, oh and don't forget the 80's hair, but what it did have was loads of guns and loads of aliens getting killed.
    What Sega have achieved is a game which reflects the feeling of the game
    without overshadowing the Aliens movie... my advice if you enjoy Alien trilogy give it a go, I've played about 5 hrs on Hardened and i am enjoying it far more than i did Dead Space 3... Expand
  22. May 23, 2013
    A crappy falsely advertised game deserves nothing more than a zero
  23. Feb 13, 2013
    If your a die hard alien fan, nothing will stop you from buying this game. Points to gearbox for a fantastic marketing campaign and demo footage, and i hate them for it.
    Graphics:
    This game looks ugly it truly does, plagued by low res textures and horrible looking effects such as blood, it would have looked good years ago. The enviorments are true to the film they do bring you back to
    hadleys hope and the dark work of alien, shame they look disgusting. However all of the graphics can be forgiven if its fun to play.
    Gameplay:
    Its boring, Xenomorphs charge at you from the front to die under your hail of bullets. Sure there is a different type called the lurker but he runs away and pulls you into a button masher event when he gets close and it dosent change. You then have to chase him down and kill him. This is not hard thanks to the motion tracker. Now isnt that fun and balanced right? Wrong you rarely need to use it in the singleplayer as the aliens will be coming from in front of you and they will charge at you from there. In MP it is used often allowing the marines to sit back and butcher the aliens who can not sneak up on them as they always know where you are. The multiplayer is half decent it is okay but the lack of maps and guns brings about a lack of class customisation for the marines as their guns suck. The aliens are horrible overpowered and the third person makes them to control. You will find yourself walking backwards when you jump on the ceiling until you figure out what is happening to change it. Then the mp lags horribly.
    Audio:
    The music is cool it sounds just like the aliens film and very industrial. The guns sounds are good if only they worked properly. When you fire your pulse rifle and hold the trigger the sounds stop and start as if you were firing in burst, this drags you out of the immersion. The singleplayer has no form of decent pace to it., they claimed that you could be fighting aliens in a last stand moment and running low on ammo in a horror like atmosphere. With a huge arsenal of weapons that you can customise at any time and each having their separate ammo pool you do not run out of bullets you just don't use your favourite gun.
    Story:
    Its poor the characters aren't compelling and you dont feel like there is really any danger, the final boss fight sucks. Oh yeah and that E3 2011 demo they showed of that cool mission isnt in the game.
    Final Opinion:
    Don't buy it, I enjoyed Aliens Versus Predator more. If you must get it buy it preowned or when it goes cheap in a month
  24. Feb 12, 2013
    Definitely a marmite game but as a fan of the series I can say that I loved this game, the environments from the film, the xenos themselves and little attentions to detail such as Bishops legs, Newts doll etc all make this a fans dream. The gunplay is essentially the same as any other FPS, but why fix what isn't broken.

For everyone who is saying the game sucks because the graphics are
    poor, yes the game doesn't match the graphical strengths of Far Cry 3, Dead Space 3 or Crysis 3 but that shouldn't matter good graphics don't make a good game. Also every single environment that features in both the film and game is almost perfectly recreated inch by inch, does it look photo realistic? No, but at least it shows that Gearbox put the effort in to make good environments.

Overall a lot of people will definitely hate this game, but personally I love it. If I had to some up this game in ten words I would say "Another glorious day in the Corps. I love the Corps."
  25. Feb 17, 2013
    I rented Aliens before I would spend another sixty dollars for a game I wasn't too sure about. I am glad I did because I wouldn't have spent thirty dollars on this game. While I did have a little bit of fun with a few hours of multiplayer matches the overall quality of game was not fully up to the sixty dollar price tag. As a gamer I am telling you to wait until this game is cheaper or to rent it like I did. Expand
  26. Feb 12, 2013
    Almost done with the campaign on Hardcore more, as a super-fan of the franchise, I'm mostly enjoying it. The mood, sound, and feel are all spot-on, the graphics are a bit lacking, especially facial animations, but the weapons feel perfect. The story makes sense with the universe as well, which is nice. It paces similarly to GoW games and is genuinely scary at times. The further into the campaign I got, I did notice more glitches with teammates not following and then reappearing at the next checkpoint as well as spotting hidden Xenos which won't take hit markers until they move. My worst glitch came in a fight with a Queen that ended with me dying, then started me at a checkpoint AFTER the battle. All in all, worth playing for fans. Note: I did not try multiplayer yet. Expand
  27. Feb 12, 2013
    This game pays homage to the movies very well. So if you are a fan of the movies I would say it is a must to have. Now as for the all the other things going on with the game. Over all it is an good fps with some of the draw backs of all the fps out there with the normal things that go wrong with jumping and weird animation glitches. The sounds of the game are close to the movie since i heard they wanted to do a slightly different version of them compared to the movie. I have played through most of the game now and seen only a few negatives like the revive system is a little off. and the aliens jump around. The crazy thing i found most funny about the game is friendly fire is on. It took a few times playing to see this. So remember play nice with others and take firing lines other there will be alot of team killing. For the multiplayer this is all fun and games since they have 4 different types of game play invovled and this is where the game really shines. survival and extermination and escape are the best due to the new flavor they put into the game types. Expand
  28. Feb 12, 2013
    Now if you are a Aliens fan you will love this game. I am a Aliens fan and I did enjoy the game but there were things that stuck out. The A.I is times really stupid and their are a few bugs when I played.(I installed the game so there wasnt so many). If you are not an Aliens fan then I would wait till price drop. The customization in the game is pretty cool. You get to make your own marine and xeno. The story at times is ok and at other times it is slow. The online is fun if you have friends playing with you. Or its just a game to pass the time with. The graphics feel 2009 but you have to remember that graphics dont determine a game, the gameplay does. Well the gameplay feels fun at times in SP but in the multiplayer its fun as hell when you got your friends and shootin xenos. This game is meant really for Aliens fans. Expand
  29. Feb 12, 2013
    Aliens:CM is definitely a love/hate kind of game. The graphics are definitely dated. Installing it on my hard drive helped making them a bit more bearable. The versus mode is definitely fun in my opinion. I played on a 360 and it matchmaking did not take a long time. Aliens nor the marines felt like they were overpowered. It helps if you communicate to pick if the marines though. All I can say is if you love aliens then this might be A game for you. I didn't feel that aliens was a suspenseful film nor did it provide jumps, it was to me a more of an action movie, so this game didn't feel like it missed to capture the film. Expand
  30. Feb 12, 2013
    If you a fan of the aliens series, like me then leave this well alone. its absolutely no improvement to AVP game in fact its much worse, the engine is pants and generally is just awful. this was a made by people to make money quick, not as a product for people to enjoy. everyone involved has absolutely no shame.
  31. Feb 12, 2013
    Worst Game ever, Bad graphics, No story, The game is so unpolished that is not worth the money that it cost,
    The Engine appear to be so a low budget production, Also the game is very short.

Very awful game stay away from it.
  32. Feb 13, 2013
    What a shame, that such a beloved franchise and rich universe is let down this way, not even to mention the fans that have waited so long! It seems that other commitments Gearbox had like GoW and Borderlands really hindered the progress of production so much, that they had to out-source to a lower quality developer and it shows. Like 'The Lord of the Rings' is for Fantasy, the Aliens universe is for Sci-Fi, the base that all other ideas spawn from, so this great grand-daddy should have been treated with care and love, not treated like it's senile and left in a corner. Randy Pitchford president of Gearbox- stated in an interview, that he, like many others had been stealing ideas from 'Aliens' his whole career, it's unfortunate he didn't return the favour!! So many other games have got it right, Dead Space for it's tense, scary atmosphere, Gearbox's own Gears of war for thrills and co-op action Left for dead for intense waves of mindless killers Halo and Mass Effect for it's characters and story And even the most recent AvP just for at least getting the look and feel of the xenomorphs right! But every characteristic I just mentioned, ACM has none of them. Even graphically it doesn't compete with it's peers releasing in '12 and '13 (hitman, far cry, AC3, Halo 4). It's also ironic that Gearbox didn't do their own 'Bug Hunt' as there are so many glitches it feels like an alpha/work in progress release! Like many others, when this game was announced, I thought to myself "Finally the wait is over, Aliens is going to get a decent game developed!" ....it looks like we're still waiting! Expand
  33. Feb 13, 2013
    I do not understand some of the low scores. The game has promise and is great fun. I liked the film tie-ins (pretty much most of the game) and a few loose ends that were tied up that fans of the series could probably predict. The game could have done with graphical polish, as textures load in late etc. However the lighting was done well. The AI needs significant improvement as friendly AI barely scratches the enemy health. The multilayer is great fun with good customisation, however escape and survivor only have two maps each. Overall I think fans of the series would like this game, and it doesn't deserve such low scores. Hopefully they can fix some of the bugs in patches and release more maps as DLC. Expand
  34. Feb 13, 2013
    I've been playing this game non-stop since I got it today and cannot understand all the criticism. I don't know what people expect from a game that is a sequel to a film made in 1986. First of all, Black Ops 2, this ain't. Its a love letter to fans of the film Aliens. There are some graphical glitches (and i've experienced some in Black Ops2, Halo, etc but these do not detract from the game's story, which is faithful to the films. The actual gameplay is what I expected; which is great. The sound effects, look and graphics are great. I mean, its not Resident Evil in space (eg Dead Space)...its a bunch of marines, armed to the teeth with one common enemy, the 'Xenomorph.' If you're looking for 'diversity' then you won't find it in the Aliens universe, unless you'd prefer to be blasting 'PredAliens' or other silly concoctions. People keep talking about 'tension'....this isn't Dead Space...i think its as tense as it should be but Its safety numbers. You're not Ripley, you're not Special Ops, you're a Colonial Marine, and that perspective is very different to other similar games. The clue is in the name; Colonial Marines not Colonial Marine.... I guess in someways its like the solo mindset of Black Ops 2 vs the Team-Based play of Battlefield 3. That applies to single player as much as multiplayer. Expand
  35. Feb 13, 2013
    Unfortunately pre ordered the game. Avoid Avoid Avoid! If you want to buy this just watch a walkthrough and it will dispel the hype and your hopes. Developers, please ban the word "Hoorah" from all videogames effective immediately.
    One chapter in Colonic Latrines is actually called "Hoorah to Ashes" Really?! No wonder the writer of the game story Mike Neumann took a cruise after this,
    hopefully there's a free bar. They left out things so you have to buy horde mode in DLC adding your losses to $75. Sorry Gearbox you know that's the main thing people loved (rebellions AVP) and you left it out. Dirty. Cash grab attempt to cover the money they know they're gonna lose on this game. Expand
  36. Feb 13, 2013
    I liked the Aliens PC titles that came out forever ago, and i have enjoyed this new title as well. I tossed it on max difficulty with a friend the other night like i do with all new games and had a really good time.
  37. Feb 13, 2013
    This game is made for the Aliens enthusiast. If you love the movies you will LOVE this game. There is a fantastic twist near the end of the game that can't be missed. Most of the gripes that have been posted so far have been addressed in the patch, so don't let that deter you. Their is a lot of love that went into this game. It is unfortunate that the graphics could be better but this game has been in production for 6 years and was started with older tech. It is actually incredible that they reached this level of polish considering what they started with. Please give this game a chance. Expand
  38. Feb 13, 2013
    Gearbox pulled the old bait and switch!!!! Game shown was not the game sold....not the first time gearbox has done this http://www.videogamer.com/videos/aliens_colonial_marines_what_the_hell_happened_to_aliens_colonial_marines_2.html
  39. Feb 14, 2013
    To even review a game like this you HAVE to see the movies, there is a lot of details like the facehugger laying in the room where Ripley and Newt slept. Same is a sentury gun showed 4 bullets left and in the movies where is 10 left, I hope to find Newts doll in the sewers. if we look at the graphics well it´s not pretty and not like the demo far from it and there is to much action. But the history is awesome, and I can´t wait for more campain DLC. The multiplayer mode is pretty good and fun, but if you get good at it, you will get very good, and ruin the multiplayer mode for all the others. It´s hard to controll the Xeno but with experience, ye they are going to die. Expand
  40. Feb 15, 2013
    The first thing you will notice about this game is the amazingly awful graphics, which instantly will take you out of the atmosphere that maybe the main menu provided. Yep, the main menu is probably the only thing even remotely close to atmospheric in this game. If it weren't for the fact that you are actually shooting at aliens from the "Alien"-universe, you probably wouldn't know that this game was inspired by that aforementioned movie series, "inspired" being the keyword. If you love the Alien-universe you would do best to stay away from this game, and don't hold your breath for any future Alien game (that's actually enjoyable to play), it'l only be downhill from here on out folks. Expand
  41. Feb 15, 2013
    Lemme get this straight. 184 people already bought this game or rented it are calling it garbage. I see nothing tht negative about it. Just purchased it guess what? I like it. If ur comparing to a halo to a cod etc yes its not tht. But I dnt recall it claiming to be tht. Just enjoy tht its different. Haven't dun multi yet as im doin campaign. How bout this novel idea support the game just maybe we can get a better sequel. Tx sega. Sheesh u fools on the bandwagon kill me. Expand
  42. Feb 17, 2013
    Very, very, very confused at the negativity this game has received. I didn't pre-order this game, but I did go and buy it the first night it came out. I'm a huge Aliens fan (films 1,2,3) and this game successfully captures that gritty late 80s early 90's Si-Fi vibe in a major way. Any diehard fan of the films will play each level over and over again. The score, sound effects, and set pieces are all perfectly replicated. I agree that graphically its not on par with even mid-cycle current gen standards, but it captures something that no game since AVP 1 (story) and AVP2 (multiplayer) have been able to accomplish. Don't buy the hype. It seems reviewers were in a haste to put out their elitist insights and didn't give the game the time it deserves. At first glance, you'll be apprehensive to sign off on this IP, but after about an hour of the campain or Multiplayer matches, you'll be hooked, count on it. Expand
  43. Feb 17, 2013
    Can't understand the negativity about this game. It's a lot of fun especially if you are a fan of the movies. Sure the graphics are merely adequate rather than spectacular, but the atmosphere is great and the fun factor is high. Co-op is where it shines I am enjoying this more than other recent co-op games like FC3 and BL2
  44. Feb 18, 2013
    This game is terrible. I am simply stunned that it has found an audience of people who are prepared to defend it. With all the innovations and steps forward in modern gaming its amazing that this game manages to emulate shooters from 5 years ago so effortlessly. Graphics are awful, story is awful, gameplay is awful. Everything...is simply awful.
  45. Feb 18, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines is a very fun game with many game modes that have kept me hooked to my Xbox for the past week now. Sure the story isn't strong, but the game play that reminds me so much of the original Alien vs Predator games for PC by Rebellion and that has kept me coming back for more despite the lack luster campaign. However, that's not why I bought the game...I bought it for a fun coop game that I could play with friends and to pay homage to perhaps one of my favorite movie series of all time. When I saw where Hudson was dragged under the floor to his presumed death I got one of the biggest smiles I have ever had on my face. Now online is where this game truly shines in my opinion despite lacking a coop survival mode where my friends and I could survive wave after wave of regular A.I. controlled aliens. Now the online gameplay consists of four main modes that all have similar, yet distinctive gameplay that forces one to adopt new strategies on both sides of the playground. Survivor is perhaps my least favorite as the environment isn't the largest and the marines only last until their armor is completely taken away by the Alien players...once that happens..."Game over man!" despite this I have found that it is perhaps the best mode to test the defensive skill of yourself and friends online.

Next is Team Deathmatch mode, now I was hesitant to play this mode first as I expected the Marines to completely destroy the Alien team like they do in Escape and Survivor mode, but boy could I ever be further from the truth. TDM starts the Marine out with no armor to even the playing field a bit and it is truly a success in my opinion. Nothing is better than stalking a lone marine and lunging across the battleground to pummel him into the ground. NOTE you can do this on any game mode.

Next is Escape mode, this is mode is basically nothing more than the Aliens amusing the marines constantly while trying to separate one player at a trim before they reach the next checkpoint. The beginning is especially tough as the marines have armor and are much harder to kill, but as the distances to the checkpoints increase the more that armor is rendered useless by constant alien attacks. The atmosphere is tense and heart racing as you race with your squad while checking every few meters to see if any alien is on the motion sensor. NEVER GO ALONE!

Last and perhaps my favorite mode is Extermination mode where the Marines have to control points on the map to destroy egg caches as the Aliens try to stop them. This mode allows the aliens to coordinate their attacks better than any other mode, except maybe Escape mode, and slaughter the marines in one all out charge. Do I hear Zerg Rush anyone? The marines have no armor in this mode and it either equalizes the the two teams or the Aliens just completely destroy the marines. No worries though if you are a marine as you will just switch species mid round to take revenge upon those fleshy mortals we aliens like to call dinner!

So other than some blotchy gameplay that will likely be fixed in a patch soon and a rather lacking storyline. Aliens: Colonial Marines delivers an extremely fun and entertaining game that will keep you coming back to fulfill challenges or to experience another Glorious Day in the Corps as the Sgt once said!

Once you get it...just remember to "Stay Frosty!"
  46. Feb 19, 2013
    The graphics are a train wreck. The story, despite being penned by the writers of Battlestar Galactica, is ho-hum. The multiplayer is bland and takes forever to find players. About the only decent thing about this game is the fact that you get to explore set pieces from the movies. What happened Gearbox????
  47. Feb 19, 2013
    Just terrible. Gearbox was completely dishonest to both the media and it's fans and knowingly released a product that was different than what they were showing only a few months earlier. Although Gearbox is remaining silent on the issue, it appears likely that the bulk of the game was farmed out to other development studios. All in all, this game is an example of exactly how not to run a studio.
  48. Feb 19, 2013
    I have the Collector's Edition. Not even disappointed. This game is absolutely fantastic. I don't know why everyone is hating on it. Sure, the Campaign is short, but it's also co-op. And don't get me started on the Multiplayer. All of the game modes are fun. The customization for the weapons and the appearances is also awesome. I have about 30 hours on this game, and I will continue to play it.
  49. Feb 21, 2013
    Poor gameplay. Last gen graphics this gen! Terrible, terrible AI in both the NPC's and the Xenomorphs! For an Aliens game, you spend more time fighting humans with guns??????????? No dedicated servers so no over watch. Terrible match making. Just a terrible disappointment. the E3 demo looked amazing. this game looks god aweful.
  50. Feb 23, 2013
    It's not that Aliens:CM is absolutely terrible.... It's that it was a colossal disappointment. So much hype for a game that looks unpolished and at times unfinished. It is full of bugs, and I don't mean xenomorphs. Very disappointing that gearbox and sega would release a game in the condition of this one.
  51. Feb 24, 2013
    I was expecting this game for many years so it comes up with such a great disappointment. The kills don't look realistic, there are motion glitches on the aliens, repetitive game play, terrible multiplayer system. The thing i enjoyed was a big alien startling me and being cautious at the sewers, of course reviving the places of the movie; but after that, its predecessor aliens vs predator, its way much better than this huge mistake that will sink the aliens franchise. Expand
  52. Feb 24, 2013
    This game has been getting a lot of bad reviews, so let me address some concerns. It's true that this game doesn't have the best graphics. The textures can take I've five seconds to load in and the facial animations for cutscenes may as well be non-exestant. Luckely, the majority of the game does not take place inside of a cutscene so you don't need to worry too much about that. Another complaints is that the ai is dumb. Switching the difficulty up to hard essentially makes this problem go away. When the xenos can kill you in two hits the game becomes much more tense. The story is not to bad and the shooting is average. What really matters is that this game looks like aliens and more importantly sounds like aliens. There is nothing so sweet as the drone of a pulse rifle. If you like aliens you will probably like this game. If you don't care about aliens and just want a good first person shooter then you should go buy halo 4 instead. It's really good. Collapse
  53. Mar 13, 2013
    I think this is a great game but I put in the disc before signing in to my profile and once I was at main menu it reset my profile on the game.I am very disappointed about this I was a high lvl and I finishe the campaign once they fix this I will play again my gamer tag is: Anthony Ferris I was lvl 17 for aliens and lvl 34 for marines please fix this and my profile if fixed let me know
  54. Mar 30, 2013
    The storyline is great, however, the gameplay isn't. My cousin and I just recently played "Aliens: Colonial Marines" on Hardcore/insane difficulty for s*** n' giggles. After about 4-5 hours of non-stop game time we both had finished the game and complaining about the difficulty isn't as challenging as we both thought it would be. The multiplayer is okay, yet, it needs some improvement. The atmosphere for a common horror game isn't there, unlike the first Dead Space or any game that I could named out that is completely more terrifying than this... It's a major disappointment, just buy anything else than this. Expand
  55. Apr 2, 2013
    You have to take this game for what it is and not look any further than that. Single player took me about 7 hours to complete while farming all the achievements. And another 10 hours Co-op when my bro came over. The game has a well rounded feel and does include some suspense walking around corners; kind of like what Doom has going on. Graphics are great, Sound was great, level design was very detailed, especially places with massive amounts of alien hives. If you were expecting to replace a giant franchise game with this you will be disappointed. If you just play through it from start to finish, its a decent game. I rented this from RedBox on a Friday and returned on a Sunday with a free game night code. I got my $2 worth, and would recommend you to do the same for a good 2 days of gameplay. Expand
  56. Apr 26, 2013
    I have no words to explain why Sega and Gearbox released this alpha version of the game. Horrible in all aspects of the game, except music. The worst game I ever played in 30 years.
  57. Nov 26, 2013
    Not great but not total I must admit, I went in with extremely low expectations. It's worth a play if you're an Aliens fan. The sound effects and soundtrack capture the feel of the film and the environments were reminiscent of the film as well. The story was interesting enough. Other than that, not really much I can recommend. The AI is pretty horrible, the graphics are relatively bland, especially in cut-scenes, and multiplayer is...meh, if you can even find anyone playing the game and tolerate the lag. Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the numerous glitches/bugs. I don't understand how you can ruin a game that draws from such excellent source material. If you're an Aliens fan, give it a rent. Anyone else, only if you're a masochist. Expand
  58. May 4, 2014
    Aliens: Colonials Marines. Since it's release, it's been the epitome of what it truly means to be a **** game. Though, is that necessarily true? I will state now, that the game does not, under any circumstances, live up to it's Demo in any way, shape, or form. But, since the release of it's graphical and gameplay patches that have actually made it playable (Compared to it's terrible initial build), it is truly a good experience for your average gamer, and an amazing one for any Aliens fan. The Gunplay works well for the type of game that it is, though Marine v Xeno combat is usually a tad frustrating, as well as unenjoyable at times. The Story rings well, and the multiplayer/dlc only strengthens the package. Aliens: Colonial marines is quite an average experience, but the fact that it's Aliens really bolsters it's offerings and makes for an exceptional experience. If the game were to ever receive a total overhaul built for next-gen, akin to it's original demo, it would definitely erase the horrible image it's current version has garnered. Expand
  59. Feb 24, 2013

1. Apr 3, 2013
    There was a lot of hope for Aliens: Colonial Marines but it seems the gaming world is let down with another attempt to make a successful film tie in. The review should give you a few good reasons why the game suffers but other aspects such as the overused catchphrase ‘Stay frosty!’ and anticlimactic ending are a couple more to add to the list and this is why you should wait until this game gets thrown into the bargain bin before you purchase.
  2. Apr 1, 2013
    I'm not that witty, but I am pretty vulgar—as a result, all I can say is that if Aliens: Colonial Marines had been fished out of a Marine's colon during emergency surgery it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
  3. Mar 24, 2013
    An unremarkable FPS plagued by dim AI and repetitive set-pieces. [Apr 2013, p.68]