3.8

1. Feb 12, 2013
    Reviews for Aliens: Colonial Marines are VERY harsh! The graphics are fine, they look a little dated sure but it is forgivable given that it runs fairly smoothly at 60fps. The xeno's are scary, tough as nails and just when you think you can take them all down you can get stealth killed instantly. I am barely an Alien fan and I'm quite enjoying the game. The upgrade system is reallyReviews for Aliens: Colonial Marines are VERY harsh! The graphics are fine, they look a little dated sure but it is forgivable given that it runs fairly smoothly at 60fps. The xeno's are scary, tough as nails and just when you think you can take them all down you can get stealth killed instantly. I am barely an Alien fan and I'm quite enjoying the game. The upgrade system is really awesome, you level up the more you kill so not only do you feel like a boss when you shut all the creatures down but you get rewarded with XP for doing so. Not a terrible game by any means! I would suggest checking it out before you read a hundred CLEARLY biased reviews. Expand
  2. Feb 19, 2013
    First off, please do not listen to the critic reviews or any review that is not above a 7. I am a avid Aliens Fan and I love this game. Yes the Graphics could be better but it still has a very good story line and controls easy 8/10
  3. Feb 13, 2013
    Aliens CM is a disappointment. The promotion trailers for the game showed that you were in for a quick, fast paced, adrenaline ride campaign. Sadly the campaign is the complete opposite. Slow, boring with no real drive for you to keep playing. It's a shame really because at times you can see what this game could have been. The environments look like Aliens, the game sounds like Aliens,Aliens CM is a disappointment. The promotion trailers for the game showed that you were in for a quick, fast paced, adrenaline ride campaign. Sadly the campaign is the complete opposite. Slow, boring with no real drive for you to keep playing. It's a shame really because at times you can see what this game could have been. The environments look like Aliens, the game sounds like Aliens, but it doesn't feel like Aliens.

The multiplayer has it's good moments and contains more thrills than the boring, lackluster campaign.
    You play online games of Aliens Vs Marines in a few game modes. The escape mode is the more interesting option as the marines have to travel from A-B whilst being hunted down by the alien hoarde. This means welding doors shut, placing sentries and using iconic big weaponry like the Smart Gun. Whilst it's all fun for the marines, the aliens are extremely easy to dispatch meaning playing as the aliens can be quite boring. The biggest downside to this game mode is that it's only on 2 maps so this can get old, real quick.

Other games modes are available such as standard team deathmatch (which feels really unbalanced at present) and extermination (think domination on Call of Duty)

Sadly across the multiplayer and the single player is poor game engine that never seems to work. Walking down stairs looks ridiculous because there is no animation, just bouncing up and down and the game is rampant with bugs, textures popping in and out and is simply a graphical mess.

All and all, I enjoy the game at times, but not enough to recommend to anyone but extreme fans of the Aliens universe.
  4. Feb 12, 2013
    So, apparently it takes years of delays and disappointment before you can release a truly awful game. Aliens: Colonial Marines is exhibit A. This comes from a big Aliens fan who has waited and waited for this title to be released.
    The graphics and textures make you think you're playing on the original Xbox, the story for the woefully short game is also dire (yes, a game with less than 6 hours of gameplay), no tension in the game and the motion tracker is a waste of time.
    Looks like Sega replaced their 'QA' dept with a 'Do we look bothered about the product' department.
    Don't get me started with the strange option to put a supressor onto your pulse rifle, only to find that you can't take it back off). Leave this load of rubbish well alone and keep your hard earned cash in your pocket.
  5. Feb 12, 2013
    This is going to be one of those "love or hate" type games, which to me is a complete surprise. I will admit I am a huge fan of the Alien universe and I actually think Gearbox have done a good job of making this game. The story is quite enjoyable and even though there is the occasional animation glitch etc overall I think the game is really polished. You can tell that the people whoThis is going to be one of those "love or hate" type games, which to me is a complete surprise. I will admit I am a huge fan of the Alien universe and I actually think Gearbox have done a good job of making this game. The story is quite enjoyable and even though there is the occasional animation glitch etc overall I think the game is really polished. You can tell that the people who designed this game like the Aliens lore too. There are some nice and subtle throw backs to Aliens. Co-op is good fun and holds up well although the teleporting back together when people split up too much is a bit of a let down. I'm really enjoying the VS multiplayer as there are plenty of decent unlocks and it is done a lot better than AvP's efforts. Controlling the Xenomorphs is now easier thanks to a 3rd person view.

I do think the campaign is pretty short but having split screen 2 player co-op, plus 4 player online co-op and 5 vs 5 VS multiplayer makes up for the short campaign. I think this is a must if you are an Aliens fan and perhaps take a look first before deciding if you are not.
  6. Dec 13, 2014
    It looks like Aliens. It sounds like Aliens. It just doesn't feel like Aliens. Unfortunately what it does feel like is a bad FPS game. That's because it is one. Gearbox has squandered any potential the game could have had.

The story is convoluted, bland, and at times really dumb. It's hard to give a crap about these meathead characters and often harder to distinguish which one is which. There are moments where it mixes things up for the series fiction (a character from the movie makes an appearance), but overall it feels like a waste of time. The fact that it's cannon to the series is disappointing. I really wish it wasn't on both accounts.

The story mode still could have redeemed itself had the gameplay been good. It's not. When it's not being a subpar and generic FPS, it's being a bad and boring one. Gearbox has taken one of the most iconic and threatening sci-fi creatures of all time and turned them into generic cannon-fodder. Shooting these almost mindless drones who do nothing other than jump in front of your crosshairs can be mindless fun at times, but it's sad to see them offer almost no threat to the player.

Even worse are the human enemies. First of all why are we even shooting other humans? It's an Aliens game. The only things I want to shoot in an Aliens game are Xenomorphs. These shootouts are often tedious. It's simple pop-and-shoot gameplay. Constantly having to duck in and out of cover just slows things down. I was annoyed every time human enemies would appear and couldn't wait to get past them. They're almost dumber than the Xenos.

Not even co-op can save the campaign. Sure it is a little bit more fun to play with some buddies, but it doesn't make the actual game better. It just means you have people whose company you enjoy suffering with you.

The game does find a little bit of enjoyment it's multiplayer. However nowadays the only matches you are going to be able to find are team deathmatch. Balancing issues do get in the way. Playing as a marine is much more enjoyable than playing as a Xeno.

Xenos are noticeably underpowered compared to the gun-toting marines. Their melee attacks are underpowered and they can't take as much punishment. The Xeno team is basically the losing one. Playing as a marine is quite fun. Teaming up with other players and trying to survive being hunted actually evokes the feeling of the film.

The key to winning these matches is just getting for your team to get as many kills as you can a marine, and then when you switch to Xenos just try to not let the others catch up. When the marine players bunch up it's almost impossible to get kills as a Xeno. The multiplayer is almost dead and not worth putting down the more enjoyable shooters to experience.

Typically bad licensed games like this one are at least worth a rental for hardcore fans just to see what they have to offer. That isn't the case with this game. The references, easter eggs, fan-service, and cannon-story aren't worth the pain it will cause your inner Aliens fan. You're better off acting like this game doesn't exist. It's an Aliens game in title alone.
  7. Feb 12, 2013
    finished the single player mode yesterday. Game is very short (5 hours wtf!?), has really bad graphics and the gameplay feels like in low budget pc fps game. There is no horror atmosphere in this game bacause it was made as 4 player co op game (something like Dead Island but much much worse!). Multiplayer sucks, finding players takes you 1,5 minute and the lag kills the fun. No dedicatedfinished the single player mode yesterday. Game is very short (5 hours wtf!?), has really bad graphics and the gameplay feels like in low budget pc fps game. There is no horror atmosphere in this game bacause it was made as 4 player co op game (something like Dead Island but much much worse!). Multiplayer sucks, finding players takes you 1,5 minute and the lag kills the fun. No dedicated servers. Just simple p2p matchmaking like in CoD but created worse. There are multiplayer modes where you can play as alien versus humans. To tell you the truth, nobody wants to play as aliens because marines are way to powerfull. If marine players stick together, they always wins the match. The only option to win the multiplayer match as an aliens is when it is match where aliens have bigger numbers than marines (ex. 2 marines vs 6 aliens). In multiplayer match 6 vs 6 marines ALWAYS win. You can't choose sides, game does it for you like the developers knew that nobody would like to be alien.

Oh! And one more funny thing! This game WAS NOT CREATED by Gearbox but 5 different developers. You can see their names in the campaign intro. Gearbox was supporting them with their brand. F*ck you SEGA and gearbox. Lost respect for those companies.
  8. Feb 14, 2013
    Arrived in the post yesterday, I heard some bad reviews but as a fan I thought this was exaggeration. Well I wish I never opened it and got a refund. The campaign is 5 hours long with an AI that terrible for both your squad and the enemy. I should be saying Aliens rather then enemy, but half the game you arnt fighting aliens!!! Thats right, an aliens game and you spend half of itArrived in the post yesterday, I heard some bad reviews but as a fan I thought this was exaggeration. Well I wish I never opened it and got a refund. The campaign is 5 hours long with an AI that terrible for both your squad and the enemy. I should be saying Aliens rather then enemy, but half the game you arnt fighting aliens!!! Thats right, an aliens game and you spend half of it fighting other marines on the Corporation. The end boss as well... just over one minute to beat... the games just painful. I want to give it a good review, I pre-ordered this on nostalgia and the fact that this looked like it was the aliens game that would be it! Multiplayer is the only thing that can make this game fun and it wears thin fast. The marines are very overpowered and while you can take out lone wolves, if they stick in a group and are organized playing as an alien is just not fun. Other players give up quick and it makes it impossible. Basically if you stay in a group then its an instant win. High hopes. Crushed by technical problems (screen tear), poor AI, poor graphics with missing textures and retcons. Dont get me started on who they bring back from the dead! Oh and those awesome early previews which got everyone excited, guess what not in the game!! Poor poor show. I pray the DLC can partially redeem this game especailly as its supposed to be cannon! Expand
  9. Mar 14, 2013
    It really is a shame that this game didn't get the polish it deserved because that's pretty much all its missing. I grew up with the first two Aliens movies and if you're like me in this respect you'll probably enjoy this game. You'll forgive it for glitchy graphics, odd sound now and again and some screen tear because it'll bring you back to those first films, Newt, Ripley, Hicks, motionIt really is a shame that this game didn't get the polish it deserved because that's pretty much all its missing. I grew up with the first two Aliens movies and if you're like me in this respect you'll probably enjoy this game. You'll forgive it for glitchy graphics, odd sound now and again and some screen tear because it'll bring you back to those first films, Newt, Ripley, Hicks, motion trackers and the scream of a xenomorph.

To enjoy this game you have to be invested in the Alien Universe. That doesn't excuse the unfinished nature of the product but the poor reviews shouldn't put Aliens fans off playing this game.
  10. Feb 20, 2013
    Not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Sure the graphics are about the same as Duke Nukem forever, but I rented this game through gamefly, and I had fun playing it, this game has a lot of potential, I actually played the multiplayer mode for a few hours, playing as a xeno is glitchy at times but it was fun as hell. The story itself was fine, some cool twist near the end for someNot as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Sure the graphics are about the same as Duke Nukem forever, but I rented this game through gamefly, and I had fun playing it, this game has a lot of potential, I actually played the multiplayer mode for a few hours, playing as a xeno is glitchy at times but it was fun as hell. The story itself was fine, some cool twist near the end for some major characters from the movie. Rent it and give it a try Expand
  11. Feb 13, 2013
    Overall a fantastic entry in the Aliens franchise. The one thing this game does really well is ambiance! The sounds are all dead on and nothing is creepier than hearing the motion tracker go off and knowing they are coming for you. Is it the best FPS ever, no but it is damn good i have to say. The visuals are nice and environments look good as do the aliens. The only thing I can sayOverall a fantastic entry in the Aliens franchise. The one thing this game does really well is ambiance! The sounds are all dead on and nothing is creepier than hearing the motion tracker go off and knowing they are coming for you. Is it the best FPS ever, no but it is damn good i have to say. The visuals are nice and environments look good as do the aliens. The only thing I can say is this game MUST be played in the dark, it simply doesn't work in the day. If you enjoy the franchise overall, this is the game you have been waiting for in the long list of entries that have been made in this series. The MP seems fairly decent but I have yet to spend a decent amount of time with it so can't comment too much as of yet. I will say that it is very satisfying to use the aliens and leap across the screen onto an unsuspecting victim and tear their head off!!! Expand
  12. Mar 6, 2013
    A complete LIE! Gearbox lied gamers by showing amazing Demos at E3 and other events, at the very last end the game showed up completely different. ALCM has horrible in game design, lots of glitches, frame rate issues and no resemblance at all with the Demos showed by Gearbox. Graphics are horrible and gameplay is even worst. Gearbox should get sued by SEGA, for creating such a terribleA complete LIE! Gearbox lied gamers by showing amazing Demos at E3 and other events, at the very last end the game showed up completely different. ALCM has horrible in game design, lots of glitches, frame rate issues and no resemblance at all with the Demos showed by Gearbox. Graphics are horrible and gameplay is even worst. Gearbox should get sued by SEGA, for creating such a terrible game and running such a big scam on gamers. Expand
  13. Feb 13, 2013
    This game is total GARBAGE! Anyone who rates this game over a 5 either works for Gearbox/Sega or knows nothing about videogames. I rented this thinking how bad can it really be...ohhh how I found out. Finished the campaign on hardest difficulty with about 30/50 achievements in about five hours. There are really about three levels in the game that you go back and fourth through three timesThis game is total GARBAGE! Anyone who rates this game over a 5 either works for Gearbox/Sega or knows nothing about videogames. I rented this thinking how bad can it really be...ohhh how I found out. Finished the campaign on hardest difficulty with about 30/50 achievements in about five hours. There are really about three levels in the game that you go back and fourth through three times with different lighting. All you do is shoot wave after wave of the same enemies over and over again then the credits role.. after the worst final boss encounter in years. Multiplayer is nothing that hasn't been done in every other game this generation. The only redeeming value to this experience was the sound effects which are spot on with the films. Believe it or not the terrible Alien Vs. Predator game from a few years back seems like a masterpiece compared to this trash. Shame on Gearbox for this terrible letdown of a product for all the fans of the Aliens franchise, fans of their previous work, and ruining the opportunity to create canon material for a movie franchise. THIS IS THE CANDIDATE FOR WORST GAME OF THE YEAR!! Expand
  14. Mar 5, 2013
    I almost threw up in my mouth when I heard about this game. The gaming industry takes a whack at an Aliens game every few years, and it always ends up a heaping pile of burning slag. Crappy plot, crappy game play, crappy graphics. It's just a cluster-pile of badness. Anyone who gave this a "positive rating", I seriously question their neutrality as feedback. They're most likely shills forI almost threw up in my mouth when I heard about this game. The gaming industry takes a whack at an Aliens game every few years, and it always ends up a heaping pile of burning slag. Crappy plot, crappy game play, crappy graphics. It's just a cluster-pile of badness. Anyone who gave this a "positive rating", I seriously question their neutrality as feedback. They're most likely shills for the developers. And when the overall score was as bad as this, uh, yes I WILL listen to the critics. Expand
  15. Feb 12, 2013
    People will either hate this game or love this game. Are there some issues? Yes. The AI is average at best and Gearbox's engine is showing it's age in terms of visuals. But if you are a fan of the Alien franchise, you are going to enjoy actually stepping into a chapter tailored specifically to pick up right where Aliens left off. The 4-player drop-in, drop-out co-op is solid and there arePeople will either hate this game or love this game. Are there some issues? Yes. The AI is average at best and Gearbox's engine is showing it's age in terms of visuals. But if you are a fan of the Alien franchise, you are going to enjoy actually stepping into a chapter tailored specifically to pick up right where Aliens left off. The 4-player drop-in, drop-out co-op is solid and there are some stretches of action that will make it so you don't want to put the controller down. The length of the campaign is suspect, but it's just as long as any other FPS game out there (6-8 hours) depending on what difficulty you play on. The thing that will keep you coming back for more though is the very addictive versus and co-op multiplayer modes. The thing you have to ask yourself is what you want from this game. Are you looking for a fun excursion into the Aliens universe? Then this is for you. If you are looking for something will turn the industry on its head, then yes, you will be disappointed. But damn if this isn't a fun bug hunt. Expand
  16. Feb 13, 2013
    The demo footage that was shown at E3 for this game looked absolutely amazing. There was dynamic lighting, the game had tonnes of atmosphere the enemy AI was slick. The same unfortunately cannot be said for the finished product which has no resemblance to the demo whatsoever and could be a completely different game all together. Put briefly, this is another FPS COD clone but so much worseThe demo footage that was shown at E3 for this game looked absolutely amazing. There was dynamic lighting, the game had tonnes of atmosphere the enemy AI was slick. The same unfortunately cannot be said for the finished product which has no resemblance to the demo whatsoever and could be a completely different game all together. Put briefly, this is another FPS COD clone but so much worse to the point of unplayability, the graphics are so outdated poor that explosions look like they are from an N64 game, with jagged textures and bugs rearing their heads at every possible moment. Gearbox have clearly LIED outright to gamers everywhere with the demo of this game I for one will not be purchasing a game from them in future, as a fan of the ALIENS franchise I found this not only hugely disappointing but also grossly offensive, it is one giant spit in fans' gamers' faces alike. Expand
  17. Feb 13, 2013
    The campaign is not as good as I wanted and the set piece animations were last gen. But the Multi player is fun and the sounds and visuals and environments are spot on. I just do not see the reason others do to hate this game. Overall it is fun.
  18. Feb 13, 2013
    I was very excited for this game and now i'm severely dissapointed that Gearbox released this train wreck. The game has numerous graphical issues and looks like it should have been released five years ago. There are some parts that will please aliens fans but, a game can't live off of fan service alone. The AI is terrible, especially for the aliens. Aliens are supposed to be dangerousI was very excited for this game and now i'm severely dissapointed that Gearbox released this train wreck. The game has numerous graphical issues and looks like it should have been released five years ago. There are some parts that will please aliens fans but, a game can't live off of fan service alone. The AI is terrible, especially for the aliens. Aliens are supposed to be dangerous and scary, not weak and laughable. I'm a huge fan of the aliens franchise and this game just craps all over a great opportunity to make a great game. The only reason I'm giving this game a six is because I did have fun at some points. Gearbox should be ashamed of themselves for releasing this game, I won't be buying any games from them anytime in the near future. Expand
  19. Jun 16, 2013
    This game promised so much, and then completely fell on it's face. The graphics are very good, but nothing like was promised by the "demo" videos show prior to release. In game they were par for FPS, and it seem great detail was paid to recreate the atmosphere and tension of the movies. The first levels on the Sulaco weren't too bad story wise, but the game was already showing it'sThis game promised so much, and then completely fell on it's face. The graphics are very good, but nothing like was promised by the "demo" videos show prior to release. In game they were par for FPS, and it seem great detail was paid to recreate the atmosphere and tension of the movies. The first levels on the Sulaco weren't too bad story wise, but the game was already showing it's weaknesses. The NPC AI is broken beyond repair, and the Alien AI is nonexistent. Duck Hunt was more challenging. By the end of the Sulaco levels, the story was quickly devolving into idiocy. The story makes no sense what so ever and is a slap in the face to fans of the movies. And my biggest complaint is the lack of immersion. They went to all of the trouble to model the dropship and the APC, yet they are only set dressing. The only time the player gets to ride in these vehicles is in cut scenes, never mind flying/driving them. It is because of this game that I will never buy another title from GearBox for full price, and will share their future games used with all of my friends. Shame on them for stealing from consumers, as this game is a complete ripoff. Expand
  20. Feb 14, 2013
    I've been waiting for this game since the Gameinformer issue back in 2008 (Huge Aliens fan and needless to say the hype was worth it for me). The first thing I noticed with this game is that it looks like it was created back in 2005. The resolution and graphics of the game are set low even for an console game and yet I can still get choppy frames during gameplay. The campaign from whatI've been waiting for this game since the Gameinformer issue back in 2008 (Huge Aliens fan and needless to say the hype was worth it for me). The first thing I noticed with this game is that it looks like it was created back in 2005. The resolution and graphics of the game are set low even for an console game and yet I can still get choppy frames during gameplay. The campaign from what I've played is decent, nothing to write home about other than cool level design. Co op takes the horror elements out of the game completely and replace it with "competitiveness" I guess. Multiplayer is nothing new, similar modes like TDM, Survival, Objectives. You can choose and customize classes (only really interesting for aliens). All in all the game satisfies me, but people looking for a game that's fresh or exciting should save their money for something else. Expand
  21. Apr 2, 2013
    *UPDATED REVIEW* The graphics may be dated, dialogue may be cheesy and the game may be a generic shooter, but it is a fun and kind-of-loving-yet-misunderstood homage to the popular sequel. It is faithful to the franchise with plenty of tense moments (mainly involving Alien eggs) and moments of suspense, but before you play hoping it will be amazing, be warned; it is quite flawed and the*UPDATED REVIEW* The graphics may be dated, dialogue may be cheesy and the game may be a generic shooter, but it is a fun and kind-of-loving-yet-misunderstood homage to the popular sequel. It is faithful to the franchise with plenty of tense moments (mainly involving Alien eggs) and moments of suspense, but before you play hoping it will be amazing, be warned; it is quite flawed and the tense moments will only be tense for Alien fans and people who know what to expect and if you are new to the franchise, this game will come off as a generic and cheap shooter (though it kind of is). Unfortunately, the game sometimes doesn't match the continuity of the films and it could frustrate some fans and features an ending with is incomplete and a blatant attempt at wanting a sequel. All-in-all, I am a little disappointed in this game, though some Alien fans will enjoy this sequel. Expand
  22. Feb 13, 2013
    I played single through the first actish, then I played some multi with a buddy, we had a blast. I like the frantic pace of team deathmatch, tried survival too, that wasnt quite as fun, but I really enjoyed playing as an alien. The sounds were awesome, I use turtle beach x400's that I just got so that may have helped but it was really immersive. The graphics arent amazing but I thinkI played single through the first actish, then I played some multi with a buddy, we had a blast. I like the frantic pace of team deathmatch, tried survival too, that wasnt quite as fun, but I really enjoyed playing as an alien. The sounds were awesome, I use turtle beach x400's that I just got so that may have helped but it was really immersive. The graphics arent amazing but I think they're passable. I would have rated it a 7-8 but i gave it a 10 to balance all the crap people are posting. Expand
  23. Apr 10, 2013
    When game developers get pushed into making a public apology for a "misleading" trailer, This pretty much marks the scene for a game. Yes, I got hold of Alien: Colonial Marines a good period of time after release and after this announcement. Immediately I could see what the big uproar was about. First thing that is thrown in front of you with any game is the graphics, which feel like itWhen game developers get pushed into making a public apology for a "misleading" trailer, This pretty much marks the scene for a game. Yes, I got hold of Alien: Colonial Marines a good period of time after release and after this announcement. Immediately I could see what the big uproar was about. First thing that is thrown in front of you with any game is the graphics, which feel like it has been thrown together from the 64 bit era. The trailer of this game showed amazing graphics, amazing game play and intense scenes. With the graphics been first the rule out that the trailer showed, what would be next? Well, to be honest, I failed to find one aspect of this game that made it "good". Controls are sluggish, hit detection is just pure awful, voice acting is laughable, story is bland and just the general play of the game is, well, almost unplayable. The AI are some of the worst I've seen in a game and the enemies are so unpredictable and mostly, unavoidable which makes the overall game play extremely frustrating and boring. I understand that this game also has an online multiplayer feature but I didn't couldn't try it due to lack of interest in the game as a whole and the fact the one time I tried to play an MP game, after half an hour it didn't find me a game. Overall, this game is a failed struggle to save a dying franchise. Expand
  24. Mar 22, 2013
    don't know how they could screw up any more than they did.

terrible AI, terrible graphics, mediocre multiplayer, mediocre story, and they have the nerve to sell DLC.
    gearbox shouldn't be allowed to make games.
  25. Mar 8, 2013
    Feels like a 2002/3 Xbox game and would only have been average then. Very poor for a recent release. I thought it looked poor on preview sites, I couldn't beleive it when the full release so shoddy. 6 years for this, what a shame! When it hits the bargain buckets, it may be worth picking up for a fiver?
  26. Feb 19, 2013
    Well, I was surprised after reading the reviews. My dad and I purchased the game for ourselves to have some good coop experiences together and we preordered the game with excitement. Needless to say how shocked I was once the reviews hit. Not to be deterred we bought the game anyways and I was pleasantly surprised by the game. So, I decided to write a decent review on the game from theWell, I was surprised after reading the reviews. My dad and I purchased the game for ourselves to have some good coop experiences together and we preordered the game with excitement. Needless to say how shocked I was once the reviews hit. Not to be deterred we bought the game anyways and I was pleasantly surprised by the game. So, I decided to write a decent review on the game from the aspect of being a sceptic and a fan of the Alien films. So here we go:

First I will analyze the graphics. Before you read further I do believe that graphics can add to a great game and enhance an experience, however graphics are NOT indicative of a "good game". I'm looking at you Diablo 3. The graphics here are not first rate. They do not even rate on scale of a modern post 2010 game. They come closer to 2004-5 time frame. Antialising is almost non-existent, graphical tearing is present in many locations, and the use of lower resolution textures is appalling. Lighting however is present and well utilized. There are sections of the game that look down right scary and immersive in the lore. As soon as I arrived in Hadley's Hope, I felt like I was walking the foot steps of Hicks and Hudson. The character animations are so-so, with the aliens being well modeled, but the marines being somewhat average. The texturing on characters are good, again especially the Xenomorphs, but the marines faces are very stiff and lifeless when speaking to them during the story. The weapon animations and HUD are top notch, very immersive and do not detract from the game, especially in multiplayer. I've only played the single player campaign in "Ultimate Badass" difficulty so there is not HUD unless using a Smart gun, and then the immersion is great. Over all the graphics do not impress and its sad that Gearbox only worked on the multiplayer. Sound- Top notch. The sound effects are amazingly accurate and in multiplayer they add to the tension of being stalked by a Xenomorph. Not much else to say here.

Gameplay- Solid gun play for a FPS. DO NOT expect any revolutionary. The game does not add anything new to the plethora of FPS's on the market currently and will never come close to being revolutionary like HL2, Borderlands, Crysis 1, or Call of duty 4 (only 4, the rest are churned out annual clones). The controls are responsive and work well. The motion tracker is fantastic and I LOVE using it in both single and multiplayer. The single player story is average at best with poor voice acting and a typical FPS story for the most part, nothing to write home about. The multiplayer game modes are fantastic, and truly represent the game potential. Great unlock system that just needs more content, fun weapons, and fun modes. The graphics are the same here and the big difference is in the asymmetrical gameplay between aliens and marines. Marines get their motion trackers and weapons but are fragile too, while the aliens are fast and nasty, speeding into melee with one alien being a ranged attacker. You can feel the L4D overtones through it, which is not a bad thing in the least. I cannot comment on the lag, as so far I have experienced little to no lag during the matches.

In conclusion the game is fun, nothing revolutionary, but fun. Multiplayer saves the day and is worth the price of admission, and with more multiplayer enroute via DLC, it will get better. The single player campaign is subpar but...it still captures certain moments that so far has made it worth playing to me. I am MAD though at Gearbox for the travesty of politics that encompassed the game during development. Shame on them for promising so much but delivering so little in the game. So I give the game a 7 out of 10, as I believe the current reviews have been very harsh to the game and it is not as terrible as it is made out to be.
  27. Feb 19, 2013
    Not a great, generation defining game by any stretch of the imagination, but still fun for Aliens fans. Campaign is a little too short, and the graphics aren't the best. Sound effects are great for the most part, very true to Aliens. I probably would've regretted buying it at release day price, but worth picking up when it hits the bargain bin for Aliens fans. Not game of the year byNot a great, generation defining game by any stretch of the imagination, but still fun for Aliens fans. Campaign is a little too short, and the graphics aren't the best. Sound effects are great for the most part, very true to Aliens. I probably would've regretted buying it at release day price, but worth picking up when it hits the bargain bin for Aliens fans. Not game of the year by any stretch, but I don't see this game as a 4-4.5 out of 10 when judged against some of the games that get 8.5-9 in reviews. Expand
  28. Mar 3, 2013
    A game that looked so good at its E3 demos, that was so heavily anticipated, and, let's face it, that is rooted so well in a legendary piece of sci-fi almost couldn't fail. And yet, somehow, Gearbox managed to pull off a total misfire with Colonial Marines. While it'd be easy to turn this entire review into a complaint festival, there are some admirable things about the game, so we'llA game that looked so good at its E3 demos, that was so heavily anticipated, and, let's face it, that is rooted so well in a legendary piece of sci-fi almost couldn't fail. And yet, somehow, Gearbox managed to pull off a total misfire with Colonial Marines. While it'd be easy to turn this entire review into a complaint festival, there are some admirable things about the game, so we'll start with those. It's clear that someone paid attention to the tech manual when they put the weapons and equipment together; it's consistent with the Colonial Marines Technical Manual released years ago with the blessing of those involved. Sound in all its aspects, foley and mixing alike, is a grand slam home run. The score is absolutely outstanding, something that should make Horner proud in how his film score was lovingly adapted to a game score. The levels that overlap the films are consistent and show continuity with events in the film. The weapons are generally faithful to the films, with the Smartgun particularly well implemented. The weapon modification/customization system is thin, but adequate and makes a difference. There are enough little toss-ins to make you feel like you're in the film. That is, until you add in gameplay, graphics, and programming. Then it's wrecked. For a game that was supposed to be a squad-based tactical shooter, A:CM is instead a generic rail shooter dressed up in Aliens clothes. There's no tactical anything in here; your allies are under AI control at all times, and won't even take a suggestion from you (not that there's a way for you to suggest squat). Graphics are horribly disappointing...more like abysmal. This is a console that handles high-power graphics Crysis 2, Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, and Enslaved so there's no excuse. Textures are unbelievably low-res; monitors are unreadable, props are blurry and pixelated. Lighting is good, but implementation of volumetrics appears to have been left off the to-do list. Voice acting is good, but the script, by and large, is the pits, chock full of macho-military cliches and stereotypes. The checkpoint save system was developed by a sadist; there are no checkpoints immediately prior to boss fights and checkpoints are spread far apart, meaning you will have to redo significant sections (and hear the same bloody audio) again and again. The AI is outright defective; it's a good thing that your squadmates are immortal, because an alien will be chewing on their helmets and they won't open fire. Expect no help from them. Overall, Aliens: Colonial Marines is valuable only to those who are diehard fans of the film. As a game, a 4 is a generous rating, earned more or less entirely by the audio department and a pity point. This game fell so far short of expectations and promise that it's just sad. It is worth playing if you're a fan, but not worth the $60 release price. Wait until it descends to the $20 range (which shouldn't take long), then go for it. I'm not mad about the game, just disappointed. It could have, should have, been much more. Expand
  29. Feb 13, 2013
    If your a die hard alien fan, nothing will stop you from buying this game. Points to gearbox for a fantastic marketing campaign and demo footage, and i hate them for it.
    Graphics:
    Graphics:
    This game looks ugly it truly does, plagued by low res textures and horrible looking effects such as blood, it would have looked good years ago. The enviorments are true to the film they do bring you back to hadleys hope and the dark work of alien, shame they look disgusting. However all of the graphics can be forgiven if its fun to play.
    Gameplay:
    Its boring, Xenomorphs charge at you from the front to die under your hail of bullets. Sure there is a different type called the lurker but he runs away and pulls you into a button masher event when he gets close and it dosent change. You then have to chase him down and kill him. This is not hard thanks to the motion tracker. Now isnt that fun and balanced right? Wrong you rarely need to use it in the singleplayer as the aliens will be coming from in front of you and they will charge at you from there. In MP it is used often allowing the marines to sit back and butcher the aliens who can not sneak up on them as they always know where you are. The multiplayer is half decent it is okay but the lack of maps and guns brings about a lack of class customisation for the marines as their guns suck. The aliens are horrible overpowered and the third person makes them to control. You will find yourself walking backwards when you jump on the ceiling until you figure out what is happening to change it. Then the mp lags horribly.
    Audio:
    The music is cool it sounds just like the aliens film and very industrial. The guns sounds are good if only they worked properly. When you fire your pulse rifle and hold the trigger the sounds stop and start as if you were firing in burst, this drags you out of the immersion. The singleplayer has no form of decent pace to it., they claimed that you could be fighting aliens in a last stand moment and running low on ammo in a horror like atmosphere. With a huge arsenal of weapons that you can customise at any time and each having their separate ammo pool you do not run out of bullets you just don't use your favourite gun.
    Story:
    Its poor the characters aren't compelling and you dont feel like there is really any danger, the final boss fight sucks. Oh yeah and that E3 2011 demo they showed of that cool mission isnt in the game.
    Final Opinion:
    Don't buy it, I enjoyed Aliens Versus Predator more. If you must get it buy it preowned or when it goes cheap in a month
  30. Feb 13, 2013
    Personally liked the sound and music and it does feel more like an aliens game but graphics might not be say most fancy but then not looking so clean is not bad thing for the setting your in, cod always looks to clean to be real on its textures for example. only played first couple levels so not sure how long game is, most times in past when people complain about time they played onPersonally liked the sound and music and it does feel more like an aliens game but graphics might not be say most fancy but then not looking so clean is not bad thing for the setting your in, cod always looks to clean to be real on its textures for example. only played first couple levels so not sure how long game is, most times in past when people complain about time they played on easiest mode, didn't look for any collectables etc and just run though game which is not how I play games. multiplayer maps feel big and its quite good playing one side then swoping to other rather than always being one or other. Expand
  31. Feb 12, 2013

1. Apr 3, 2013
    There was a lot of hope for Aliens: Colonial Marines but it seems the gaming world is let down with another attempt to make a successful film tie in. The review should give you a few good reasons why the game suffers but other aspects such as the overused catchphrase ‘Stay frosty!’ and anticlimactic ending are a couple more to add to the list and this is why you should wait until this game gets thrown into the bargain bin before you purchase.
  2. Apr 1, 2013
    I'm not that witty, but I am pretty vulgar—as a result, all I can say is that if Aliens: Colonial Marines had been fished out of a Marine's colon during emergency surgery it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
  3. Mar 24, 2013
    An unremarkable FPS plagued by dim AI and repetitive set-pieces. [Apr 2013, p.68]