Aliens: Colonial Marines Xbox 360

3.9

1. Mar 8, 2013
    Feels like a 2002/3 Xbox game and would only have been average then. Very poor for a recent release. I thought it looked poor on preview sites, I couldn't beleive it when the full release so shoddy. 6 years for this, what a shame! When it hits the bargain buckets, it may be worth picking up for a fiver?
  2. Feb 23, 2013
    A Complete putrid POS. What the hell were they thinking?! Awful story, horrible graphics, and inept AI left this game in shambles. Multiplayer was a joke. And a bad joke at that. And it being an 'Aliens' game where the hell were they for the first 3 missions out of the 11? It is an Aliens game right? So why does it turn out to be a CoD? Who sabotaged this game?! I want to know who didA Complete putrid POS. What the hell were they thinking?! Awful story, horrible graphics, and inept AI left this game in shambles. Multiplayer was a joke. And a bad joke at that. And it being an 'Aliens' game where the hell were they for the first 3 missions out of the 11? It is an Aliens game right? So why does it turn out to be a CoD? Who sabotaged this game?! I want to know who did it! But the game's environment and sound samples where dead on. But those two things could not save this game. Its a complete mess. Expand
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you could look past the graphics but with a game that has been in the process of ten year of development I didn’t expect anything more but to start of the game looked promising for the first half hour or so with the suspense of seeing a xenomorph in the shadows and not being able to shot it and with structure collapsing around you. Even being handed a motion scanner seemed to give this game a good vibe about the but unfortunately after the first level you had already seen all the game had to really throw at you. With very short cut scenes with terrible dialogue you couldn’t really connect with the very basic story line that didn’t keep you entertained. The more and more you progressed with the game the more you noticed how bland the environments, characters and guns etc really are and to make it worse the game was littered with countless numbers of glitches I found myself of teammates stuck in walls, falling through floors and shots from guns not registering. As promised I expected an intelligent alien AI to figure out how to hide in the shadows and surprise attacks but instead all I experienced was countless hordes of aliens running strait at you giving you plenty of time to react and kill with a few blasts of your guns. With the final boss being the Queen the game had a chance to restore some pride by giving you a badass boss battle to end but were let down again with a boss that can be easily defeated within a couple of minutes with teamwork, no bullets needed. This is the first game in a while that I couldn’t think on really any good points and that I was left thinking I have wasted my time and I was glad that it had ended.
    Multiplayer is also a huge disappointment with very weak aliens with bad controls and near to impossible to kill marines and a huge lack of customisation that was supposed to be a huge point to look unique online. Levels have a good size to them but with a lack of players in each round you can spend a while just trying to find enemies rather than being in the action.

To summarise this game it is very short to which you can complete in about 5 hours (11 levels) and you don’t need tactics to complete this game with ease just an itchy trigger finger and the game becomes very irritating with a countless number of glitches. The only thing I liked about the game was a Easter egg from the movie Spaceballs which brought a smile to my face. If you are a fan of Alien and don’t want to be let down avoid this game as you will be left disappointed.
  4. Feb 18, 2013
    Not sure what I can say that hasn't been said already. Maybe this game needed another 6 years of development. I could forgive the horrible graphics if everything else wasn't just as bad. The player animations are terrible. The lip synching is almost laughable. The AI(both friendly and enemy) has to be the worst part of this game....almost to the point of making it unplayable. The singleNot sure what I can say that hasn't been said already. Maybe this game needed another 6 years of development. I could forgive the horrible graphics if everything else wasn't just as bad. The player animations are terrible. The lip synching is almost laughable. The AI(both friendly and enemy) has to be the worst part of this game....almost to the point of making it unplayable. The single player portion of this game is a 3/10. I'd give it a 2/10 if it wasn't an Aliens game.

The multiplayer is really the only playable part of this game. Taking out the game's horrible AI and replacing it with human player AI shows signs of how great the game could have been. Unfortunately the multiplayer suffers from it's own set of problems and is unable to save the game overall. Matchmaking is pretty bad, as is the lag once you do get into a match. There are some pretty big balancing issues as well. Also, when playing as an alien the controls are inconsistent at best. There are only 4 modes to play as well, and although there is some customization and unlocks, after playing for a couple hours you will see the multiplayer portion of the game is not very deep at all.

Don't make the mistake I did by buying this at full price. If you are a diehard Aliens fan either rent it, or wait for a price drop, which won't take long. This game is on the fast track to the bargain bin.
  5. Feb 20, 2013
    This game reminds me a lot of Operation Racoon City. The verybad news is Operation Racoon City is a better game. ACm doesn't even make me want to try to finish it. ORC at least did that. Gearbox blew it big time here.
  6. Feb 28, 2013
    this game is a horrible excuse for a game this franchise is falling apart boring game play and just well not so interesting at all(my opinion)you don't even need to play the game to understand its a horrible game you can just watch game plays and you can still see this game is not what fans were expecting AT ALL
  7. Mar 26, 2013
    Whats bad about this game? what's good about this game? That's the easier question.
    Bad graphics, dumb story, REPETITIVE GAMEPLAY, and HUMAN ENEMIES in this new creation from gearbox. I hate this game. I really do. Not because of the bad qualities, although that's a good reason, BECAUSE IT'S ALIENS AND I FEEL LIKE ITS JUST A TERRIBLE KNOCKOFF OF COD. Now i can tell what you what happened to that awesome demo in 2012, whatever it is, it's aliens colonial marines. This.... Game isn't. This is a shooter that doesn't hold up to its competition in the slightest. This is quite possibly, the worst game I have ever played. I know that there are worse games. But I haven't played them. Here's a challenge, play on ultimate badass mode, alone, with no one else even in the room to talk to, and TRY to have fun. This game makes me sad, gearbox has fallen. They have sealed their reputation not only as liars and cheats,but they have destroyed their reputation by making a false demo, making false promises, and using the hype machine to boost sales. DON'T WASTE YOU'RE MONEY ON THIS. If you really want a good aliens game, try the avp game that came out in 2010. But this game isn't worth a triple a price if it isn't a triple a game.
  8. Apr 24, 2013
    Theres alot of things this game does wrong but a few things right. First of all, the atmosphere of the game fits with alien's franchise. Also the multiplier is pretty enjoyable but the lacks of map makes the game die fast. But the game gets pretty much everything else wrong. The graphics are really outdated and visually the game looks terrible. The biggest concern is the AI the AI willTheres alot of things this game does wrong but a few things right. First of all, the atmosphere of the game fits with alien's franchise. Also the multiplier is pretty enjoyable but the lacks of map makes the game die fast. But the game gets pretty much everything else wrong. The graphics are really outdated and visually the game looks terrible. The biggest concern is the AI the AI will just stand around and do nothing. You can beat this game easily on the hardest difficulty. The boss at the ending is so terrible its not even funny. The story and characters are also terrible so there's not much to look forward in this game. The game was rushed and they should have token more time to work on it. A good year might have made the game worth checking out. Expand
  9. Jun 17, 2013
    Not much to say besides this game suffers from terrible characters and falsely advertised content from the original E3 demo that showed much higher detail, but the final product was poorly created and suffered from idiotic artificial intelligence, yet somehow still managed to entertain me at some points.

10. Jun 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just don't understand how in an "ALIENS!!!!" game you have to battle HUMANS!!!! in almost all of the levels.The story is pretty short 10 levels (3 alien,3 call of duty, 3 mixed bag levels+1 crappy boss battle).The boss battle is WTF levels (push a button that is it). The AI is one of the worst i have ever seen. Multiplayer is miserable and the graphics are "meh".So my opinion is no one should buy this game, hardcore alien fans will be disappointed, new comers will be disgusted, and multiplayer maniacs will not feel happy Expand
  11. Feb 12, 2013
    So, apparently it takes years of delays and disappointment before you can release a truly awful game. Aliens: Colonial Marines is exhibit A. This comes from a big Aliens fan who has waited and waited for this title to be released.
    The graphics and textures make you think you're playing on the original Xbox, the story for the woefully short game is also dire (yes, a game with less than 6 hours of gameplay), no tension in the game and the motion tracker is a waste of time.
    Looks like Sega replaced their 'QA' dept with a 'Do we look bothered about the product' department.
    Don't get me started with the strange option to put a supressor onto your pulse rifle, only to find that you can't take it back off). Leave this load of rubbish well alone and keep your hard earned cash in your pocket.
  12. Feb 12, 2013
    finished the single player mode yesterday. Game is very short (5 hours wtf!?), has really bad graphics and the gameplay feels like in low budget pc fps game. There is no horror atmosphere in this game bacause it was made as 4 player co op game (something like Dead Island but much much worse!). Multiplayer sucks, finding players takes you 1,5 minute and the lag kills the fun. No dedicatedfinished the single player mode yesterday. Game is very short (5 hours wtf!?), has really bad graphics and the gameplay feels like in low budget pc fps game. There is no horror atmosphere in this game bacause it was made as 4 player co op game (something like Dead Island but much much worse!). Multiplayer sucks, finding players takes you 1,5 minute and the lag kills the fun. No dedicated servers. Just simple p2p matchmaking like in CoD but created worse. There are multiplayer modes where you can play as alien versus humans. To tell you the truth, nobody wants to play as aliens because marines are way to powerfull. If marine players stick together, they always wins the match. The only option to win the multiplayer match as an aliens is when it is match where aliens have bigger numbers than marines (ex. 2 marines vs 6 aliens). In multiplayer match 6 vs 6 marines ALWAYS win. You can't choose sides, game does it for you like the developers knew that nobody would like to be alien.

Oh! And one more funny thing! This game WAS NOT CREATED by Gearbox but 5 different developers. You can see their names in the campaign intro. Gearbox was supporting them with their brand. F*ck you SEGA and gearbox. Lost respect for those companies.
  13. Feb 14, 2013
    Arrived in the post yesterday, I heard some bad reviews but as a fan I thought this was exaggeration. Well I wish I never opened it and got a refund. The campaign is 5 hours long with an AI that terrible for both your squad and the enemy. I should be saying Aliens rather then enemy, but half the game you arnt fighting aliens!!! Thats right, an aliens game and you spend half of itArrived in the post yesterday, I heard some bad reviews but as a fan I thought this was exaggeration. Well I wish I never opened it and got a refund. The campaign is 5 hours long with an AI that terrible for both your squad and the enemy. I should be saying Aliens rather then enemy, but half the game you arnt fighting aliens!!! Thats right, an aliens game and you spend half of it fighting other marines on the Corporation. The end boss as well... just over one minute to beat... the games just painful. I want to give it a good review, I pre-ordered this on nostalgia and the fact that this looked like it was the aliens game that would be it! Multiplayer is the only thing that can make this game fun and it wears thin fast. The marines are very overpowered and while you can take out lone wolves, if they stick in a group and are organized playing as an alien is just not fun. Other players give up quick and it makes it impossible. Basically if you stay in a group then its an instant win. High hopes. Crushed by technical problems (screen tear), poor AI, poor graphics with missing textures and retcons. Dont get me started on who they bring back from the dead! Oh and those awesome early previews which got everyone excited, guess what not in the game!! Poor poor show. I pray the DLC can partially redeem this game especailly as its supposed to be cannon! Expand
  14. Jun 16, 2013
    This game promised so much, and then completely fell on it's face. The graphics are very good, but nothing like was promised by the "demo" videos show prior to release. In game they were par for FPS, and it seem great detail was paid to recreate the atmosphere and tension of the movies. The first levels on the Sulaco weren't too bad story wise, but the game was already showing it'sThis game promised so much, and then completely fell on it's face. The graphics are very good, but nothing like was promised by the "demo" videos show prior to release. In game they were par for FPS, and it seem great detail was paid to recreate the atmosphere and tension of the movies. The first levels on the Sulaco weren't too bad story wise, but the game was already showing it's weaknesses. The NPC AI is broken beyond repair, and the Alien AI is nonexistent. Duck Hunt was more challenging. By the end of the Sulaco levels, the story was quickly devolving into idiocy. The story makes no sense what so ever and is a slap in the face to fans of the movies. And my biggest complaint is the lack of immersion. They went to all of the trouble to model the dropship and the APC, yet they are only set dressing. The only time the player gets to ride in these vehicles is in cut scenes, never mind flying/driving them. It is because of this game that I will never buy another title from GearBox for full price, and will share their future games used with all of my friends. Shame on them for stealing from consumers, as this game is a complete ripoff. Expand
  15. Mar 22, 2013
    don't know how they could screw up any more than they did.

terrible AI, terrible graphics, mediocre multiplayer, mediocre story, and they have the nerve to sell DLC.
    gearbox shouldn't be allowed to make games.
  16. Feb 14, 2013
    This has to be one of the worst first person shooters I've ever played on the Xbox. I'm really disappointed because I love the Alien franchise and I've been looking forward to this game for months. Firstly, everything feels very outdated... it's an extremely basic first person shooter with graphics that belong on the PS2. The checkpoint system is just a mess; the last thing I want to do isThis has to be one of the worst first person shooters I've ever played on the Xbox. I'm really disappointed because I love the Alien franchise and I've been looking forward to this game for months. Firstly, everything feels very outdated... it's an extremely basic first person shooter with graphics that belong on the PS2. The checkpoint system is just a mess; the last thing I want to do is have the same firefight over and over again just because a checkpoint didn't activate after I'd pressed three or so switches (perhaps acceptable on lower difficulties, but if you like a challenge this is a nightmare). Which brings me to my next point: switches! The entire game is simply going through corridor after corridor, activating switches and cutting through broken doors. It's nothing like the horror-survival/FPS hybrid I expected. There are no jump-out-of-your seat moments, despite the potential, since y'know... it's a game set in the world of Alien. The characters are all two-dimensional couldn't give a flying sh*t about any of them. What forced my hand to write a bad review was the glitches; if it's not a non-moving elevator, it's an NPC not doing what he's programmed to do, ultimately forcing you to restart from the last checkpoint that was two fights ago, do them again, and hope it works the second time around! (again, a nightmare if you're on a challenging mode). Really, it just feels like you're playing a very rushed, cheap, glitchy movie cash-in. I'm glad I rented it before deciding to buy it. Expand
  17. Apr 4, 2013
    What's wrong with this game:
    What's wrong with this game:
    1- Ridiculous story line that messes up the film story and makes no sense, and offers no explanation, with a terrible cut and dry ending. It's cannon by the way. 2- Terrible alien AI that is not scary, but ridiculous, with hilarious glitches. 3- Glitchy graphics with muddy textures, esp. on consoles 4- Fighting humans for at least 50% of the game!? its called ALIENS! 5- Friendly AI characters: O'Neil, you are a useless and fundamentally unlikable. 6- The E3 2011 demo was the biggest lie in gaming
  18. Feb 19, 2013
    I wonder how much SEGA paid EGM to rate this awful game a 90. Anyway this game is really bad. Screen tear is noticeable and the graphics is bad. If you're an Alien/s fan probably get this on PC with all the mods, which I guess wouldn't save this unfinished mess
  19. Mar 20, 2013
    Stay away from Aliens even if you are a fan of the franchise. I made the mistake thinking it'd be fun but the game is terrible. The campaign is just 5 hrs of mindless shooting, cutscenes look like they were made on last gen consoles, your AI team mates never shut the hell up and are uninteresting and the ending was awful. Co-op makes the experience even worse as you are constantly shovingStay away from Aliens even if you are a fan of the franchise. I made the mistake thinking it'd be fun but the game is terrible. The campaign is just 5 hrs of mindless shooting, cutscenes look like they were made on last gen consoles, your AI team mates never shut the hell up and are uninteresting and the ending was awful. Co-op makes the experience even worse as you are constantly shoving your friends into walls because nearly 75% of the game will take place in incredibly tight corridors. Multiplayer is also a bummer as playing as the xenomorphs is clunky and awful and the online community will probably be dead in a couple of months or less. What you see in the trailers and vidocs is not what is in the game. It is a lie as the game was outsourced to developer TimeGate and Gearbox only worked on portions of the multiplayer. This is arguably one of the worst games I have ever played and no one should suffer through this excuse of a game. Save your $60 or just play the AVP videogame that came out a couple years ago. Yes, even that game is better the Colonial Marines Expand
  20. Mar 18, 2013
    I had high hopes for Aliens: Colonial Marines, but like most people who played this game, I am deeply disappointed. The story is so bare bones it does not even matter if it is cannon or not. The graphics have a numerous amount of problems like screen tearing, slow down, and low resolution textures. I also experience a lot of glitches will playing, sometimes it would shut the whole gameI had high hopes for Aliens: Colonial Marines, but like most people who played this game, I am deeply disappointed. The story is so bare bones it does not even matter if it is cannon or not. The graphics have a numerous amount of problems like screen tearing, slow down, and low resolution textures. I also experience a lot of glitches will playing, sometimes it would shut the whole game down. The fellow marines that are controlled by the AI are terrible and tend to get in the way a lot. The enemy AI is not any better. Xenomorphs do not act like their counterpart in the films, running right in front of you waiting to be shot. The 3 boss fights are also a walk in the park, giving the player no challenge. The gunplay is alright, the weapons blend well into the universe, and the shooting is not half bad. The co-op campaign is useless as another player is unnecessary and does not add to the experience. The multiplayer has one good mode that is worth playing. The Escape mode is similar to Left 4 Dead but with enemy controlled aliens. The other multiplayer modes feel unbalanced and there is only 4 maps for each mode. Aliens: Colonial Marines might have a few easter eggs for die hard Aliens fans, but besides that I would avoid this game, especially if you are a fan of the franchise. Expand
  21. Feb 16, 2013
    I think its worth a rent, just to have a few laughs at how bad it is. Then after the laughs fade to boredom, you can simply return it. This is a game that should never have seen the light of day; literally, there is no reason for this game to exist. If they released it as an Arcade game, for under $15, I would be willing to give it a 5/10, but as a full priced game, Gearbox is laughing inI think its worth a rent, just to have a few laughs at how bad it is. Then after the laughs fade to boredom, you can simply return it. This is a game that should never have seen the light of day; literally, there is no reason for this game to exist. If they released it as an Arcade game, for under $15, I would be willing to give it a 5/10, but as a full priced game, Gearbox is laughing in your face. Expand
  22. Feb 12, 2013
    If you a fan of the aliens series, like me then leave this well alone. its absolutely no improvement to AVP game in fact its much worse, the engine is pants and generally is just awful. this was a made by people to make money quick, not as a product for people to enjoy. everyone involved has absolutely no shame.
  23. Feb 13, 2013
    Unfortunately pre ordered the game. Avoid Avoid Avoid! If you want to buy this just watch a walkthrough and it will dispel the hype and your hopes. Developers, please ban the word "Hoorah" from all videogames effective immediately.
    One chapter in Colonic Latrines is actually called "Hoorah to Ashes" Really?! No wonder the writer of the game story Mike Neumann took a cruise after this, hopefully there's a free bar. They left out things so you have to buy horde mode in DLC adding your losses to $75. Sorry Gearbox you know that's the main thing people loved (rebellions AVP) and you left it out. Dirty. Cash grab attempt to cover the money they know they're gonna lose on this game.
  24. Feb 13, 2013
    Gearbox pulled the old bait and switch!!!! Game shown was not the game sold....not the first time gearbox has done this http://www.videogamer.com/videos/aliens_colonial_marines_what_the_hell_happened_to_aliens_colonial_marines_2.html
  25. Feb 15, 2013
    The first thing you will notice about this game is the amazingly awful graphics, which instantly will take you out of the atmosphere that maybe the main menu provided. Yep, the main menu is probably the only thing even remotely close to atmospheric in this game. If it weren't for the fact that you are actually shooting at aliens from the "Alien"-universe, you probably wouldn't know thatThe first thing you will notice about this game is the amazingly awful graphics, which instantly will take you out of the atmosphere that maybe the main menu provided. Yep, the main menu is probably the only thing even remotely close to atmospheric in this game. If it weren't for the fact that you are actually shooting at aliens from the "Alien"-universe, you probably wouldn't know that this game was inspired by that aforementioned movie series, "inspired" being the keyword. If you love the Alien-universe you would do best to stay away from this game, and don't hold your breath for any future Alien game (that's actually enjoyable to play), it'l only be downhill from here on out folks. Expand
  26. Feb 19, 2013
    For a game that was seven years in the making, it is terrible! I made an account just to warn people to stay away from this title. The positive reviews are either being paid off by gearbox and saga or are people that are in complete denial after paying $60 for a frisbee. The graphics are out of date, the multiplayer is broken, and the entire game takes place in a revolving square map thatFor a game that was seven years in the making, it is terrible! I made an account just to warn people to stay away from this title. The positive reviews are either being paid off by gearbox and saga or are people that are in complete denial after paying $60 for a frisbee. The graphics are out of date, the multiplayer is broken, and the entire game takes place in a revolving square map that slightly changes scenery. Even if you're an aliens fan, please wait for it to go on sale pre-owned and save yourself the headache. This game is so bad the GameStop near me is allowing opened returns to their loyal customers who they suggested the game to. I give it a 2, only because it has co-op. Expand
  27. Feb 21, 2013
    Poor gameplay. Last gen graphics this gen! Terrible, terrible AI in both the NPC's and the Xenomorphs! For an Aliens game, you spend more time fighting humans with guns??????????? No dedicated servers so no over watch. Terrible match making. Just a terrible disappointment. the E3 demo looked amazing. this game looks god aweful.
  28. Feb 24, 2013
    I was expecting this game for many years so it comes up with such a great disappointment. The kills don't look realistic, there are motion glitches on the aliens, repetitive game play, terrible multiplayer system. The thing i enjoyed was a big alien startling me and being cautious at the sewers, of course reviving the places of the movie; but after that, its predecessor aliens vs predator,I was expecting this game for many years so it comes up with such a great disappointment. The kills don't look realistic, there are motion glitches on the aliens, repetitive game play, terrible multiplayer system. The thing i enjoyed was a big alien startling me and being cautious at the sewers, of course reviving the places of the movie; but after that, its predecessor aliens vs predator, its way much better than this huge mistake that will sink the aliens franchise. Expand
  29. Mar 16, 2013
    It's phenomenal, if you're the type of loony who licks windows for a living. More than angry, the game just makes me sad. It could, should and probably would have been good if it had been released a few years ago; unbroken. I was going to round this off with something positive to say about the game, but there's just nothing. Sorry.
  30. Mar 22, 2013
    This game is a fail, no matter what anyone says. The graphics cant run right on my Xbox, and start to look pretty junky after the first hour. Enemy and partner A.I are horrible, and O'neal did not kill one alien my whole play through. Multiplayer is glitchy and the marines are very overpowered against their alien enemies. There is no survival, which is a shame. And included to all of that,This game is a fail, no matter what anyone says. The graphics cant run right on my Xbox, and start to look pretty junky after the first hour. Enemy and partner A.I are horrible, and O'neal did not kill one alien my whole play through. Multiplayer is glitchy and the marines are very overpowered against their alien enemies. There is no survival, which is a shame. And included to all of that, the game is just plain ol' unfinished. Literally, my gun disappeared at moments, O'neal walked through walls, and the power loader sequences are literally UNPLAYABLE. Even the lore is horrible. It does continue off of the movie ALIENS, but ignores Alien 3 and 4. By now, I've had it with this game. The reason I have not given it a 0 was because of the easter eggs, but thats it. Game over, man. Expand

1. Apr 3, 2013
    There was a lot of hope for Aliens: Colonial Marines but it seems the gaming world is let down with another attempt to make a successful film tie in. The review should give you a few good reasons why the game suffers but other aspects such as the overused catchphrase ‘Stay frosty!’ and anticlimactic ending are a couple more to add to the list and this is why you should wait until this game gets thrown into the bargain bin before you purchase.
  2. Apr 1, 2013
    I'm not that witty, but I am pretty vulgar—as a result, all I can say is that if Aliens: Colonial Marines had been fished out of a Marine's colon during emergency surgery it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
  3. Games Master UK
    Mar 24, 2013
    An unremarkable FPS plagued by dim AI and repetitive set-pieces. [Apr 2013, p.68]