5.7

1. Apr 3, 2013
    Absolute rubbish! This is such a terrible continuation of a series that more or less started the survival horror genre. While the visuals in genreal are pretty good, and the story does at least try, what really damages this game is the game itself. It's linear, boring and almost to the point that it feels almost like a on-rails game, except it's not.

Overall: If this game had no

Overall:
    If this game had no affiliation with the Alone in the Dark franchise I might have been kinder. But if you take on a big name like Alone in the Dark, you should do something worthy of the name. This game doesn't, at all.
  2. Wampbit
    Jun 21, 2008
    A game with a lot of promise, however undeniably rushed, causing some severe problems with game mechanics, graphics, physics and gameplay making the game tedious to play and frustrating due to very bad controls. The story had the potential to be interesting, and create a drive to play even with the multiple bugs, however truly awful voice acting, combined with a selection of phrases A game with a lot of promise, however undeniably rushed, causing some severe problems with game mechanics, graphics, physics and gameplay making the game tedious to play and frustrating due to very bad controls. The story had the potential to be interesting, and create a drive to play even with the multiple bugs, however truly awful voice acting, combined with a selection of phrases constantly being repeated by all the NPCs around you create a noisy and tedious experience. The sound effects are varying in quality, but none are good enough to make the sound side good. Overall the game is not polished to the standard expected today, as a result of this and other gameplay flaws you get a tedious buggy experience that fails to suck you in, or, for that matter, provides any satisfying gameplay aspects. Expand
  3. CrowbarS.
    Jun 23, 2008
    Alone In The Dark is a promising game with a lot of potential and it's almost breath-taking to watch. Unfortunately, it's fundamentally flawed in a number of critical areas and in ways that games really shouldn't be flawed after so many years of learning from past mistakes. Rent it or watch someone play it.
  4. briandead
    Sep 25, 2008
    I was so looking forward to getting this game at last but found the controls to be overly complex and so utterly frustrating to use, along with the camera angles, for me it's barely playable . What a waste of money. Buy it only if you have the patience of a saint!
  5. ToddS.
    Jun 18, 2008
    The controls are horrible and non-responsive. Very disappointing.
  6. OliG.
    Jun 19, 2008
    Good ideas but very bad realization and even worse genre-mix gameplay make out one of the worst games (and particularly frustrating) ever, in any case the worst alone in the dark ever!!!
  7. JesseG.
    Jun 20, 2008
    I've waited for this game for a long time, endured the hype, and paid 60 dollars for crap.
  8. MarkS.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Stupid story, overcomplicated controls, lots of bugs.
  9. BenD.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Very disappointing game! I pay 60 buck for a piece of crap!
  10. JamesL
    Jul 19, 2008
    It was probably the worst game I had ever played. The one point I gave it comes from their great ideas, followed by the worst execution I've ever encountered. The driving would be tolerable had there have been a better physics engine, which at several points I get stuck over a piece of paper. The combat wouldn't have been such a needle in my spine had the camera been more It was probably the worst game I had ever played. The one point I gave it comes from their great ideas, followed by the worst execution I've ever encountered. The driving would be tolerable had there have been a better physics engine, which at several points I get stuck over a piece of paper. The combat wouldn't have been such a needle in my spine had the camera been more cooperative. The fire effects were probably the best I've ever seen. It would have made Alone in the Dark outstanding if it had been a better game. As it stands, it just makes it a showy pile of feces. Expand
  11. Feb 25, 2011
    I hope that "ALC." gets **** sincerely. Also I hope he gets anally violated at least 9 times today, and 10 times tomorrow. I think "ALC." is the freak byproduct of a freak genetic experiment to make the dumbest man alive, and it worked. It worked harder than I've ever witnessed anything work in my lifetime. What a piece of absolute **** you just know his parents don't love him. At least I do.
  12. Mar 13, 2011
    I played it and tried to enjoy it. I failed.

C'mon people! These are the same geniuses who developed ObsCure!
    A great studio went bad with **** like "Fairy-Tale-Fights" and this peice of festering ****
  13. Aug 28, 2012
    I am doing this review for my friend who played this game.

My friend's an excellent gamer but in this game, he dies like every minute because of the controls. I don't know if they were experimenting with the controls, but seriously? Both movement and camera control in the same joystick? Who does that!?
  14. AnonymousMC
    Aug 7, 2008
    Don't listen to morons like Al. C over here this game sucks and is horrible. GTA4 and MGS4 shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence as anything that has to do with alone in the dark. Worst game I've played in a long time, Al. C is a retard, and a loser, and he has no knowledge of anything whatsoever.
  15. vincent
    Jul 29, 2009
    THIS IS THE WORST GAME I EVER BOUGHT! I FULLY REGRET BUYING THIS GAME..... WASTE OF TIME TRYING TO DRIVE TO THE CENTRAL PARK..... HOW CAN ANY PROGRAMMER COME UP WITH A STUPID GAME LIKE THIS... ITS AWFUL AND SHOULD BE TOTALLY RECALLED AND THROWN INTO THE FURNACE.
  16. DanW.
    Jun 22, 2008
    I really hope someone reads this and is able to avoid wasting time and effort on this terrible game. Although the story and gameplay are not perfect they would be forgivable would it not be for the number of bugs within the game itself. On a number of occasions the gameplay dynamics have been inconsistent and unpredictable a resulted in death of the character with no explanation given. I really hope someone reads this and is able to avoid wasting time and effort on this terrible game. Although the story and gameplay are not perfect they would be forgivable would it not be for the number of bugs within the game itself. On a number of occasions the gameplay dynamics have been inconsistent and unpredictable a resulted in death of the character with no explanation given. For example driving through a door and suddenly falling down an unseen mineshaft to your death with no reason wahtsoevergiven! During this 'sequence' the screen literally went black with no sound for several seconds and then just a death, no explanation given. To add to these problems, the controls and camera angles are unforgivably bad. There is no control over the camera in 3rd person mode at all. this may have been acceptable 8-9 years ago or more with the original resident evil games, but games have moved on considerably since then and as a result, this plays like a blind retarded animal that keeps running into things and hurting itself cos it doesn't know what the hell it's doing. Don't waste your money on this, atari have really let us down. All of the delays in development make this even less justified. I'd rather kick myself in the balls several times than carry on playing this. Expand
  17. thisgamesucks
    Jun 26, 2008
    This game is seriously one of the worst i've played you can't walk near a ledge and turn around without falling off, there is no direction whatso ever and the fact you can hold a total of 6 things sucks to. its all around a HUGE upset.
  18. SingingShark
    Jul 28, 2008
    This is one of the worst games i've ever played. The music sucks balls, storyline is crap and the graphics make me cry. The game play ingeneral brings out the pissed off beast within u and it will eventually drive u mad enough to kill yourself. buy at ur own risk.
  19. MarcoB.
    Jun 24, 2008
    An abysmal, broken, unfinished, unworthy game. Almost unplayable because of horrendous controls, full of bugs and glitches. Save your money. Believe me: avoid like plague!
  20. gamegriller
    Jun 25, 2008
    Cmon now. Don't defend a video game because it has great atmosphere or special effects and crummy awkward gameplay. If I want great plot and setting alone, I'll go to the movies or watch cable......This is getting away from what games are all about.. Playability.
  21. Jan 8, 2015
    This game is HORRIBLE. In every **** regard it is horrible. The enemies are nearly indestructible, They ALWAYS seem to know where you are. You are never given an indication on what the HELL you are supposed to do to defeat the bosses even if they can only be beaten in a particular manor. The game is just plain almost impossible to play due to it's difficult and the sheer amount of ****This game is HORRIBLE. In every **** regard it is horrible. The enemies are nearly indestructible, They ALWAYS seem to know where you are. You are never given an indication on what the HELL you are supposed to do to defeat the bosses even if they can only be beaten in a particular manor. The game is just plain almost impossible to play due to it's difficult and the sheer amount of **** you and thanks for the money!" feeling you get when you realize that you got suckered into shelling out your hard earned money on such a massive piece of **** It should be illegal to release games this bad! Expand

1. Every good idea here is brought down by bad basic design, including a shoddy third-person camera, a too-slow first-person mode, and bizarre forced switching between the two. [Sept 2008, p.82]
  2. The game is boring for long stretches, has an uneven level of difficulty and no worthwhile story.
  3. Is there anything good about Alone in the Dark? The fire effects are stunning and the music theme is quite good. Other than that though, nothing.