Alone in the Dark Xbox 360

5.7

1. Apr 3, 2013
    Absolute rubbish! This is such a terrible continuation of a series that more or less started the survival horror genre. While the visuals in genreal are pretty good, and the story does at least try, what really damages this game is the game itself. It's linear, boring and almost to the point that it feels almost like a on-rails game, except it's not.

Overall: If this game had no

Overall:
    If this game had no affiliation with the Alone in the Dark franchise I might have been kinder. But if you take on a big name like Alone in the Dark, you should do something worthy of the name. This game doesn't, at all.
  2. Wampbit
    Jun 21, 2008
    A game with a lot of promise, however undeniably rushed, causing some severe problems with game mechanics, graphics, physics and gameplay making the game tedious to play and frustrating due to very bad controls. The story had the potential to be interesting, and create a drive to play even with the multiple bugs, however truly awful voice acting, combined with a selection of phrases A game with a lot of promise, however undeniably rushed, causing some severe problems with game mechanics, graphics, physics and gameplay making the game tedious to play and frustrating due to very bad controls. The story had the potential to be interesting, and create a drive to play even with the multiple bugs, however truly awful voice acting, combined with a selection of phrases constantly being repeated by all the NPCs around you create a noisy and tedious experience. The sound effects are varying in quality, but none are good enough to make the sound side good. Overall the game is not polished to the standard expected today, as a result of this and other gameplay flaws you get a tedious buggy experience that fails to suck you in, or, for that matter, provides any satisfying gameplay aspects. Expand
  3. CrowbarS.
    Jun 23, 2008
    Alone In The Dark is a promising game with a lot of potential and it's almost breath-taking to watch. Unfortunately, it's fundamentally flawed in a number of critical areas and in ways that games really shouldn't be flawed after so many years of learning from past mistakes. Rent it or watch someone play it.
  4. MikeA.
    Jun 24, 2008
    To truly enjoy the game, play it the same way you would watch a TV series!! An episode a day minimum. Why? Because the there are tons of great moments and cliffhangers that will not have the same effect if it is just played through in one day. One of the most interesting stories in a game I have seen in years. Yes, I know there are some problems. The game has a bunch of issues, such as To truly enjoy the game, play it the same way you would watch a TV series!! An episode a day minimum. Why? Because the there are tons of great moments and cliffhangers that will not have the same effect if it is just played through in one day. One of the most interesting stories in a game I have seen in years. Yes, I know there are some problems. The game has a bunch of issues, such as the controls, At some points I died fast or got lost on a simple puzzle. It reminds how I felt when playing the original resident evil for the first time. I was amazed by it but died because I didn't turn around fast enough. But don't let something this original go by without at least playing it! The episodic method of story telling is innovating unique. I see this feature becoming standard in games a few years from now. Expand
  5. DanielN.
    Jun 25, 2008
    This game tries too hard, and it does have some good elements in it. But they are not enough to carry the game, witch is really sad. I got it cheap when I pre-ordered it in February 08, so im not too bummed about the money spent on it. But one thing is for sure if i had to pay full price for it, i would never get it. This is definitely a rent not a buy.
  6. RyanH
    Jul 31, 2008
    This game gets a bad rap. The controls are wonky at times, and the story could be better ... but the gaming conventions they are bucking and the new story telling elements that are introduced are very clever. I've found this to be an enjoyable experience and I am predicting right now, that a bunch of games are going to canabalize elements from this game down the road.
  7. WilliamH
    Aug 17, 2008
    Holy crap. I was really looking forward to this game and after seeing all the negative reviews I was completely turned off on it. But today I said what the hell and rented it. Well... I lost track of time and played it all night. The controls aren't that bad, you get used to them pretty quick. The driving is awesome, the cars control pretty similar to GTA4, so I have no clue why Holy crap. I was really looking forward to this game and after seeing all the negative reviews I was completely turned off on it. But today I said what the hell and rented it. Well... I lost track of time and played it all night. The controls aren't that bad, you get used to them pretty quick. The driving is awesome, the cars control pretty similar to GTA4, so I have no clue why there is all the negativity towards them, you don't see GTA4 being given horrible scores with one of it's main complaints being the driving. The fire/light elements are amazing, best I've ever seen in a game before. Inventory system could use a few more spots to hold items, but I guess it adds to the whole 'survival' thing having to make sacrafices on what to keep and what to toss. The story's pretty neat, nothing ground breaking, but it has kept me entertained. The game is a solid 8, not worth the full $60, on sale for anything less then it's a good buy, and as a rental, it's great. Expand
  8. briandead
    Sep 25, 2008
    I was so looking forward to getting this game at last but found the controls to be overly complex and so utterly frustrating to use, along with the camera angles, for me it's barely playable . What a waste of money. Buy it only if you have the patience of a saint!
  9. Mar 19, 2012
    This game does have its merits. However, they are completely overshadowed by poor game mechanics, graphics, and overall gameplay. The story had great potential, and the concept was outstanding and kept me coming back for more. Each time I came back, I had renewed frustrations with it and ended up leaving it for something else every time. I'm sad that something that could have been soThis game does have its merits. However, they are completely overshadowed by poor game mechanics, graphics, and overall gameplay. The story had great potential, and the concept was outstanding and kept me coming back for more. Each time I came back, I had renewed frustrations with it and ended up leaving it for something else every time. I'm sad that something that could have been so good came out so badly. Expand
  10. Feb 19, 2015
    Я стою здесь…один…в темноте. Передо мною металлическая дверь в здании, напоминающем котельную. Где то там в одном из помещений корень зла, который я должен сжечь, корень, который охраняют одержимые. Допустим, я вышибу дверь и мне хватит патронов, смоченных бензином, но у меня остался лишь один бинт и это меня беспокоит. Ведь если меня ранят и я использую его для перевязки раны, что мнеЯ стою здесь…один…в темноте. Передо мною металлическая дверь в здании, напоминающем котельную. Где то там в одном из помещений корень зла, который я должен сжечь, корень, который охраняют одержимые. Допустим, я вышибу дверь и мне хватит патронов, смоченных бензином, но у меня остался лишь один бинт и это меня беспокоит. Ведь если меня ранят и я использую его для перевязки раны, что мне использовать в качестве фитиля для Молотова которым я хочу поджечь корень? Без вариантов, у меня один шанс на успех и ни одного на ошибку. Ну что ж, осталось вынести дверь огнетушителем и провернуть все погромче и побыстрее. Надеюсь, в этот раз у меня все получится…
    На дворе 2008 год. Мне 17, крестнику моего отца 13, и мы сидим на стульях в полумраке перед монитором моего пк и пытаемся выжить в мире Alone In The Dark. Сейчас мне 23 и я набираю первый пост на этом портале, посвященном играм, которые мы любим и тем, кто в них играет, рядом сидит моя любимая женщина и печатает рецензию на театральный спектакль, на дворе 2014, сентябрь месяц, а воспоминания от мрачного приключения Эдварда Карнби в центральном парке посещают меня и по сей день.

На моей памяти множество проектов, которые по тем или иным причинам были недооценены как прессой, так и игроками. Но «Alone in the Dark: Near Death Investigation» одна из тех, за которые по-настоящему обидно. Обидно, потому как большинство тех, кто поливал игру грязью, попросту застопорились на сцене с автомобилем в начале игры.
    Да, физика автомобиля действительно кривая, да и сама сцена, нужно признать, срежиссирована не идеально, но именно она показывает масштаб катастрофы и после нее игра приобретает краски, а механика игры начинает работать на полную. Тут тебе и подручные средства, разбросанные по локациям, которые с легкостью комбинируются во всевозможные виды оружия, и множество разнообразных ситуаций, в которых его можно применить.
    Инвентарь в виде внутренних карманов куртки протагониста смотрится очень свежо и сегодня. Количество, а также размеры барахла, которое мы то и дело кропотливо собираем на локациях, не вызывает вопросов, а лишь помогает погрузиться в атмосферу происходящего. Ты считаешь патроны, ты размышляешь над тем, как и сколько бензина из баклажки тебе расходовать на те или иные нужды. В то время как ты возишься в инвентаре, противники продолжают выполнять свою первостепенную задачу, делая все, чтобы отправить тебя в лучший мир. Ты пытаешься выжить, пытаешься изо всех сил. Разве не этого все ждут от жанра Survival Horror? В игре есть сцена с отцом Теофилом, от которой, ей богу, меня в дрожь бросило.

А под конец игры нас отправляют жечь корни зла, из-за которых возмущаются те, кто до них все-таки дошел, а может все те, кто «промотал» пол-игры? Об одном из таких идет речь в начале поста. Некоторые из этих деревьев уничтожить очень нелегко, ведь для того, чтобы с ними расправиться, сперва необходимо к ним подобраться, решив несложную головоломку, коих в игре и до этого этапа немало. И вот пока носишься по карте, уничтожая корни, ты всем нутром осознаешь значение слов Alone In The Dark. Тебе по-настоящему одиноко в этом темном городском парке и ты понимаешь, что дух отца Теофила был бы очень даже неплохим компаньоном. Просто чтобы не сойти с ума, просто чтобы не быть одному в этом безумном кошмаре.
    Единственное, что действительно могло помешать ощутить всю прелесть этого многогранного и богатого на впечатления путешествие это управление. И оно не столько ужасное сколько тяжелое. Мне кажется, что современный Kinect пришелся бы в этой игре кстати, хотя бы как альтернативный вариант. Ну а те, кто смогли совладать с управлением и даже почувствовали некий уровень мастерства, ближе к середине сюжетной линии открыли для себя по-настоящему хорошую игру. Игру, которую вспоминаешь нередко, игру, в которую спустя годы приятно вернуться.
  11. AlC.
    Jun 28, 2008
    It seems that Atari didn't give enough money to the major review sites.If a shitty game takes 6 out of 10,i don't see why this AITD can't take his TRUE vote,8 out of 10. excellent storyline,intelligent puzzles,good looking monsters,beautyful soundtrack,and generally agood graphic(with some flaws like the texture,but still good).The camera angles aren't a true problem It seems that Atari didn't give enough money to the major review sites.If a shitty game takes 6 out of 10,i don't see why this AITD can't take his TRUE vote,8 out of 10. excellent storyline,intelligent puzzles,good looking monsters,beautyful soundtrack,and generally agood graphic(with some flaws like the texture,but still good).The camera angles aren't a true problem 'cause you can change the angles with the right stick and you can use the right analog to fix it.the game support a first person view as well,so no REAL problem. the driving sessions are insanely hard and very frustrating but they are few and overall better than the Bourne Conspiracy one. the controls need only a bit of practice,but are REALLY bad and complicated. the ending is a little upset,but it is still original and good in his own way. the pshysics is execellent and the movements of the protagounist are a bit sloppy and unrealistical. most important of all is the difficulty level:finally,since the time of the first resident evil,a enemy was able to kill me. i've finished a lot of game like RE4 or SH Homecoming without being killed any single time. finally i didn't find bullets and first aid spray behind every corner. so yes this is a real survival horror,and a game where you have to use all your brain to go on. unluckly the actual era of gaing does not give award to "smart" games,but they prefer the importance of franchise. so very good games but overrated like MGS4 and GTA4 takes 10 out 10,when MGS4 have a bad graphic for the locations(lack of details on walls and rooms) GTA4 is full of bug but they still take 10. this game is full of bug,have a more than decent graphic,and plus it have atmosphere,realistical gameplay,well balanced difficulty and most important intelligent puzzle solving and it takes 5 out 10 . please people learn to think with your own brain and don't trust gaming sites such like IGN,Gamespot etc. Expand
  12. conorc
    Oct 10, 2008
    If you liked resident evil 4 you will love this you never know whats going to happen and it feels like your playing a movie its an excitting action/horror game you truly feel like your fighting survival all the way to the end of the game and when combining items you never know what could happen (some combinations) a must buy for me and if your havin trouble you can skip scenes (i didntIf you liked resident evil 4 you will love this you never know whats going to happen and it feels like your playing a movie its an excitting action/horror game you truly feel like your fighting survival all the way to the end of the game and when combining items you never know what could happen (some combinations) a must buy for me and if your havin trouble you can skip scenes (i didnt skip scenes but my friend did) great phisics a LOT of fire fun to pick up things set them on fire and go crassy on a few monsters/objects but fire burns object up not as fast as real life but a bit to fast im telling you this because its the only way to kill the main monsters i loved the helcopter scenes (you dont control helicopters) monsters can hit your car and it will lift of ground but when they hit you its like fighting normal people despite small flaws its a MUST BUY for me you can play some parts in first person view blinking unnecissery go get it NOW. Expand
  13. ToddS.
    Jun 18, 2008
    The controls are horrible and non-responsive. Very disappointing.
  14. OliG.
    Jun 19, 2008
    Good ideas but very bad realization and even worse genre-mix gameplay make out one of the worst games (and particularly frustrating) ever, in any case the worst alone in the dark ever!!!
  15. JesseG.
    Jun 20, 2008
    I've waited for this game for a long time, endured the hype, and paid 60 dollars for crap.
  16. NickEd.
    Jun 24, 2008
    This is what I've been waiting for.
  17. MarkS.
    Jun 20, 2008
    Stupid story, overcomplicated controls, lots of bugs.
  18. BenD.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Very disappointing game! I pay 60 buck for a piece of crap!
  19. AndrewB.
    Jun 26, 2008
    Alone in the Dark is a genuinely unique experience that attempts, and I believe succeeds, to break the template of modern videogames. With breathtaking visuals and a cinematic style unlike any other videogame, Alone in the Dark is an incredible gaming experience. The game opens with one of the most epic and intense scenes I've played through in a game as you try to escape a burning Alone in the Dark is a genuinely unique experience that attempts, and I believe succeeds, to break the template of modern videogames. With breathtaking visuals and a cinematic style unlike any other videogame, Alone in the Dark is an incredible gaming experience. The game opens with one of the most epic and intense scenes I've played through in a game as you try to escape a burning building. It doesn't let up after that, either, as you race through the streets as New York shatters around you. Although the controls can be cumbersome at first, it didn't take too long to adapt to them. There are so many things that this game has to offer that it would be foolish to pass up. Expand
  20. JamesL
    Jul 19, 2008
    It was probably the worst game I had ever played. The one point I gave it comes from their great ideas, followed by the worst execution I've ever encountered. The driving would be tolerable had there have been a better physics engine, which at several points I get stuck over a piece of paper. The combat wouldn't have been such a needle in my spine had the camera been more It was probably the worst game I had ever played. The one point I gave it comes from their great ideas, followed by the worst execution I've ever encountered. The driving would be tolerable had there have been a better physics engine, which at several points I get stuck over a piece of paper. The combat wouldn't have been such a needle in my spine had the camera been more cooperative. The fire effects were probably the best I've ever seen. It would have made Alone in the Dark outstanding if it had been a better game. As it stands, it just makes it a showy pile of feces. Expand
  21. JeffL
    Aug 26, 2008
    This game is my all around favorite, i love how everything is realistic and i love the story to it and i love the limited space of carrying only 6 things cause then it wouldn't be so real u can usually hold 6 things like that with that sort jacket and pockets and such cause unlike other game where u can hold like 12 or even more is just gay but still fun but I've been waiting This game is my all around favorite, i love how everything is realistic and i love the story to it and i love the limited space of carrying only 6 things cause then it wouldn't be so real u can usually hold 6 things like that with that sort jacket and pockets and such cause unlike other game where u can hold like 12 or even more is just gay but still fun but I've been waiting for a realistic game and that's what has come. Expand
  22. PawelK
    Apr 22, 2009
    This game could use some more time in production, especially to improve the controls and camera which are not good to say the least and have made me curse many times. Graphics are good and the story is also interesting, I wish it was branched more and evolved, because it could have been really good. The game ending is _terrible_, a total disappointment and I wouldn't be surprised if This game could use some more time in production, especially to improve the controls and camera which are not good to say the least and have made me curse many times. Graphics are good and the story is also interesting, I wish it was branched more and evolved, because it could have been really good. The game ending is _terrible_, a total disappointment and I wouldn't be surprised if some reviewers have lowered the overall score just because of it. I read that Edward does not stand a chance in combat with the crippled controls, but this is not the case depending on who plays. The controls may indeed pose a serious problem to a casual player, but any experienced gamers should be able to overcome them. All in all, I actually enjoyed this game and would rate it 6.5, but since there's no such score on the scale I will round it down this time. This may not be a hit title, but it's still worth picking up and seeing through. I'd like to see a more branched and evolved story, more puzzles, more cinematic cable climbing (!) and better balanced weapons/items (I used 3 combinations for the whole game, usually even 2...). Expand
  23. SquizurBoom
    Jun 19, 2008
    I got a chance to play this game before it comes out next week. I've seen the first 3 chapters and I got to say, I want to see MORE MORE MORE! It's great, awesome and fantastic.
  24. VeyrnonZ.
    Jun 20, 2008
    One of the most inventive and captivating game I've played on X360.
  25. TusharS.
    Jun 21, 2008
    It has a good storyline...nice action moves.
  26. DavidH
    Sep 29, 2008
    "Alone in the Dark" is the next evolution of the Survival Horror genre! Nour Polloni and everyone at Eden Studios have created a wonderful gaming experience. After 4 1/2 years in the making, their efforts prove that a small team with a little budget can compete with the larger developers. What really makes this unique is that it is so ambitious and ORIGINAL! Especially in this day and age "Alone in the Dark" is the next evolution of the Survival Horror genre! Nour Polloni and everyone at Eden Studios have created a wonderful gaming experience. After 4 1/2 years in the making, their efforts prove that a small team with a little budget can compete with the larger developers. What really makes this unique is that it is so ambitious and ORIGINAL! Especially in this day and age of sequels and remakes. With the Survival Horror genre being so scarce in this generation of gaming, this sleeper hit should be on everyone's "must buy" list, especially if you love horror games. The TV-style presentation is great, ending with cliff-hangers that really make you want to continue playing just to see what happens next. The first 6 episodes are a roller-coaster ride of thrills, with driving sequences on par with "Stuntman: Ignition". Although mostly linear at first, the player can easily get used to the controls. When the game does open up in Central Park, you really can go anywhere and do anything you want. Similiar to "Bioshock", you can get very creative in killing the various monsters. Early in the game, there are a lot of huge Hollywood-style action scenes that are fantastic. Later, in Central Park the atmosphere becomes creepier like "Silent Hill". The story is good, with believable dialogue and acting. Sound effects are atmospheric, but what really stands out is the fantastic music from the composer of "Obscure" and it's sequel. The graphics look really good too, with a lot of attention to detail, although some areas it looks like there could be a few more textures. Unfortunately, there are a couple of programming bugs that still need to be fixed with a downloadable patch. A couple of times, the game froze up, so I had to re-load my previous save. When you do continue your game, you'll get to see an episodic TV-style "Previously on 'Alone in the Dark'..." recap of the last few sequences to remind you of what happened in the story so far. Sadly, with all of the great presentation and everything, "Alone in the Dark" really isn't all that scary. It doesn't have a lot of jump-out-of-your-seat moments, but it is a very intense and moody game that's fun to play. After playing this game, I kept thinking, "Wow! How is 'Silent Hill: Homecoming,' and 'Alan Wake' going to compete with this!" It's so original, innovative and fresh, just like the first "Forbidden Siren" was. And, just like that game, this one is a little rough around the edges. What a great experience though! Someone please give these guys a bigger budget! Expand
  27. ViniciusM
    Dec 28, 2009
    Excellent game in many aspects but controls, an aspect that you can overcome if you are an experienced player. Has some bugs that break the game (crash or prevent from playing) but for the price you can get it now you will be very happy to have played one of the most original and fun action/horror/puzzle games out there.
  28. Feb 25, 2011
    I hope that "ALC." gets **** sincerely. Also I hope he gets anally violated at least 9 times today, and 10 times tomorrow. I think "ALC." is the freak byproduct of a freak genetic experiment to make the dumbest man alive, and it worked. It worked harder than I've ever witnessed anything work in my lifetime. What a piece of absolute **** you just know his parents don't love him. At least I do.
  29. Mar 13, 2011
    I played it and tried to enjoy it. I failed.

C'mon people! These are the same geniuses who developed ObsCure!
    A great studio went bad with **** like "Fairy-Tale-Fights" and this peice of festering ****
  30. Aug 28, 2012
    I am doing this review for my friend who played this game.

My friend's an excellent gamer but in this game, he dies like every minute because of the controls. I don't know if they were experimenting with the controls, but seriously? Both movement and camera control in the same joystick? Who does that!?

1. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    Every good idea here is brought down by bad basic design, including a shoddy third-person camera, a too-slow first-person mode, and bizarre forced switching between the two. [Sept 2008, p.82]
  2. The game is boring for long stretches, has an uneven level of difficulty and no worthwhile story.
  3. Is there anything good about Alone in the Dark? The fire effects are stunning and the music theme is quite good. Other than that though, nothing.