7.2

1. Sep 25, 2011
    Loved this game. I think most criticisms are from people who tried to play this game as a shooter. The dialogue system is the best part of the game and I loved the C&C. I wish there would make another game but it appears highly unlikely given the reception this one got.
  2. Jan 23, 2012
    This is Sega's attempt to do a Mass Effect style spy thriller where your actions affect the game's outcome. The funny thing is, it's better than I expected. It grows on you. The biggest and most unforgivable flaw is the tutorial. It throws you into the game with difficult puzzles that you repeatedly fail. Also, the game forbids saving at whatever point you want; you can only save to theThis is Sega's attempt to do a Mass Effect style spy thriller where your actions affect the game's outcome. The funny thing is, it's better than I expected. It grows on you. The biggest and most unforgivable flaw is the tutorial. It throws you into the game with difficult puzzles that you repeatedly fail. Also, the game forbids saving at whatever point you want; you can only save to the most recent checkpoint. Complaints about the control are minor. A major complaint I've seen is the movement and shooting looseness. But movement and shooting/aiming improve as you improve your character's ability. Alpha Protocol wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't great. But it grows on you. Do yourself a favor and pick it up on the cheap and you'll have hours of entertainment. I promise. Expand
  3. Oct 8, 2010
    enjoyed it, stopped playing it and havent got back round to playing it again. if i shot someone in the head i'd expect them to go down. not turn around raise the alarm and shoot me. the controls and movements seem a bit jeky and not very fluid.
  4. Oct 6, 2010
    I desperately wanted to like this game! Reiterating the comments of the first reviewer and countless other reviews I've read, the game is plagued with bugs. To the point where I was so confused because firing a gun at the target in your cross hairs didn't necessarily mean you were going to hit them. I had a lot of fun with the game in the tutorial where you are introduced to the RPGI desperately wanted to like this game! Reiterating the comments of the first reviewer and countless other reviews I've read, the game is plagued with bugs. To the point where I was so confused because firing a gun at the target in your cross hairs didn't necessarily mean you were going to hit them. I had a lot of fun with the game in the tutorial where you are introduced to the RPG aspects of the game (which is the portion I was particularly interested in). There was so much potential here.

Here's to hoping Sega can take this game and turn a sequel into a more polished experience.
  5. Aug 17, 2011
    When I first heard of this game I was thrilled. Secret agent, RPG elements, choices and action. What could a veteran RPG player want more? ... Alpha Protocol nails it on the RPG elements. You have an incredible amount of choices that realy impact the story progression. Actions make your character even develop differently, for example... if you use alot of incendiary grenades, you'll get aWhen I first heard of this game I was thrilled. Secret agent, RPG elements, choices and action. What could a veteran RPG player want more? ... Alpha Protocol nails it on the RPG elements. You have an incredible amount of choices that realy impact the story progression. Actions make your character even develop differently, for example... if you use alot of incendiary grenades, you'll get a perk for them that makes you either better in using them or improve the general stats. But this game also has some serious flaws. The combat is crap, you'll die numerous times just because the A button doesn't command your character as it should, and you'll end in plain sight instead of being in cover. Most of the time the shooting is uncontrollable, as it will make you wish even more you have the automatic targeting from Splinter Cell Conviction. ... ///POSITIVE: Interesting characters who have reputation depending on your actions. - Good story. - Great RPG elements. ///NEGATIVE: Plain graphics. - Weak combat system. - Bugs.. lot's of them. ///CONCLUSION -> Alpha Protocol is still a game any RPG fan should have tried to play at least once, but will mostly knock 90% of the players back towards another game before they even reach the ending. Expand
  6. Dec 19, 2010
    Alpha Protocol is kind of a hard game to review on one hand it's got great rpg elements, and the choices you make really effect the way the game plays out, on the other hand it's clumsy shooting mechanics, and some really bad flaws cripple the experience, graphically it's looks like a game made back in 2006, and the voice acting is hit or miss, the controls are great, as far asAlpha Protocol is kind of a hard game to review on one hand it's got great rpg elements, and the choices you make really effect the way the game plays out, on the other hand it's clumsy shooting mechanics, and some really bad flaws cripple the experience, graphically it's looks like a game made back in 2006, and the voice acting is hit or miss, the controls are great, as far as conversations plat out you choose one of three stances suave, professional, or aggressive, which doesn't work out that well considering the way to get most people to like you all you have to do is use the professional stance, the story is interesting and has some cool characters, i personally enjoyed this game, all in all if you are a big rpg fan and you can overlook a few flaws you'll find a good game, others may want to avoid. Expand
  7. Feb 26, 2011
    Gameplay:
    Great game, Possibilities are huge for such a small game.
    Gameplay:
    Great game, Possibilities are huge for such a small game.
    Alpha Protocol has a great character development system, though in the end Stealth is the best skill by far, no matter how you play. It has a great character interaction system, which affects the entire playthrough, making room for some interesting romances and consequences for your actions. In the end I milked a wholesome 9 playthroughs out of the brilliance that is Alpha Protocol. Gameplay Score: 9/10

Graphics and Audio and Script:
    Not much to say here, I've never really cared that much about graphics.
    The graphics weren't next-gen but like a said, who cares?
    The script was great loved the suave remarks, though I wish more of the girls were turned on by them,They preferred professional/aggressive. Also i didn't hear much of the music, since i was too busy playing this awesome game :P

Graphics: 7/10
    Audio: ?/10
    Script: 9/10

Re-play Value.
    Lots. For such a average size story, it's surprising how much re-play a game can give. Just play the game and bone someone else. Or maybe Execute every single person you meet allys or not. The game has LOTS OF replay value.

Replay Value :10/10 Story:

The story was a huge plus for this game, serious it's definitely its strongest point. The story in this game involves Agent Mike Thorton or "Mikey" as he joins a secret government organization known as Alpha Protocol. You'll instantly be plunged into a story of trust and betrayal, where everyone has an Agenda even you. This gives complete control over the story in a frame narrative, like c'mon you can kill nearly everyone you meet in some point of the game!

Story: 10/10
  8. May 9, 2012
    The obvious flaws been discussed at great length regarding Alpha Protocol. Whether it's the glitchy mechanics, broken enemy AI's, or underwhelming graphics. However despite all these things this game delivers on it's promises. It creates a intricate spy world Robert Ludlum would be proud of. Filled with good voice acting, stellar dialogue and memorable twists and turns. More importantlyThe obvious flaws been discussed at great length regarding Alpha Protocol. Whether it's the glitchy mechanics, broken enemy AI's, or underwhelming graphics. However despite all these things this game delivers on it's promises. It creates a intricate spy world Robert Ludlum would be proud of. Filled with good voice acting, stellar dialogue and memorable twists and turns. More importantly the choices you make actually matter not only in a immediate sense but effecting the end-game as well. If you tough it out from start to finish you will not only enjoy the journey but be satisfied with the conclusion. In an age where nobody cares about the ending, I think this game does a great job in offering up some variety. Expand
  9. Jun 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The combat is just awful, ruining an otherwise good action/adventure game.

-Enemies will either run up and get in your face before backing off and firing their weapon, or they will stay hidden in the back corner of the room occasionally peeking their head out to fire.
    -The guns are amazingly inaccurate and the enemies need way too many bullets pumped into them before they go down.
    -Grenades will land at your waist side every 30 seconds requiring you to roll out of the way...except there is no roll action.
    -Rumble should have only been used to let you know when you are taking fire. Instead it rumbles like crazy when you are low on health, adding another layer of disorientation to an already broken combat system.
    -Stealth mechanics are pretty basic. You can't shoot lights out like in Splinter Cell: Conviction and you can't drag bodies like in Metal Gear Solid. What triggers your detection is also inconsistent. A guard may not notice you in his peripheral vision putting a sleeper hold on his buddy as he chokes and gurgles, but he will hear your footsteps upstairs if you walk too fast.
    -Boss difficulty is erratic. Some will die from a few good shotgun blasts to the face. Others need to be absolutely riddled with bullets over the course of 5 minutes to have any hope of them dying. If the combat/stealth elements were much stronger, Alpha protocol would actually be fun, not an excruciating chore.
    Spare yourself the headache and play something else.
  10. May 15, 2011
    An excellent game on so many levels. A highly reactive storyline unfolding in ways you want (or sometimes ways you don't want) makes it an excellent experience. And I will stress the word experience because that is mainly what this is; if just the gameplay had been better it would have been an all-time favourite for me, but it does it's job.
  11. Nov 24, 2011
    Don't misjudge this game. I must admit at first when I played it I ruled it out and just thought it was a piece of crap. Then I started to play more and more and the story was interesting because it was my story. I've finished this game about 5 times but have had nearly 8 characters attempt the game. There are so many different options/choices/decisions to makes throughout the game. LotsDon't misjudge this game. I must admit at first when I played it I ruled it out and just thought it was a piece of crap. Then I started to play more and more and the story was interesting because it was my story. I've finished this game about 5 times but have had nearly 8 characters attempt the game. There are so many different options/choices/decisions to makes throughout the game. Lots of great RPG elements woven into the gameplay and leveling system. Also the dialogue. Only problem is it only gives you a short amount of time to make a decision in dialogue, which doesn't give me enough time to think about possible outcomes of my decision to my character and his relationships.

I really wish for a sequel of this game, as it's rpg elements are unseen in pretty much every game. Hoping Mass Effect 3 might take influence from this.
    Although I have bad news, SEGA announced a while ago their not making an 'Alpha Protocol 2' as it did not sell very well.
  12. Jan 19, 2012
    Yes this game is full of bugs, sometimes feeling unfinished. It also has graphics comparable to a poor looking PSone game and poor enemy AI. But if you can look past this Alpha Protocol is one of the deepest and most compelling experiences to be found. Nothing can match the feeling of perfectly time your run to dart across a room full of enemies undetected, silently tranquillizing andYes this game is full of bugs, sometimes feeling unfinished. It also has graphics comparable to a poor looking PSone game and poor enemy AI. But if you can look past this Alpha Protocol is one of the deepest and most compelling experiences to be found. Nothing can match the feeling of perfectly time your run to dart across a room full of enemies undetected, silently tranquillizing and knocking out enemies with badass finishing moves. Exploration is also awarded, with many things scattered about the level that you will WANT to find, such as money pouches and Intel on characters or factions in the game. You won't be merely finding these for Achievements, you will genuinely want to find out more about characters essential to the excellent plot. Reading dossiers can either give players a deeper understanding of the story, provide helpful hints for taking on that enemy or just some quirky secret facts. The only real way to get the full enjoyment out of this game is to play using the stealth approach, as the shooting mechanics are weak. There are also some horrible boss battles and parts where you are forced into a gunfight, and these are by far the weakest moments in the game. Special credit has to go to the storytelling. I genuinely believe this game has one of the most enjoyable and immersive stories in modern gaming, made even more incredible by the fact that no two playthroughs will ever be the same, and the players choices have huge impacts on the things that happen in the game. Never judge a book by its cover. Ignore the graphics and the bugs and jump in. You won't regret it..

i want ALPHA PROTOCOL 2
  13. Aug 23, 2010
    Yes this game is full of bugs, sometimes feeling unfinished. It also has graphics comparable to a poor looking PSone game and poor enemy AI. But if you can look past this Alpha Protocol is one of the deepest and most compelling experiences to be found. Nothing can match the feeling of perfectly time your run to dart across a room full of enemies undetected, silently tranquillizing andYes this game is full of bugs, sometimes feeling unfinished. It also has graphics comparable to a poor looking PSone game and poor enemy AI. But if you can look past this Alpha Protocol is one of the deepest and most compelling experiences to be found. Nothing can match the feeling of perfectly time your run to dart across a room full of enemies undetected, silently tranquillizing and knocking out enemies with badass finishing moves. Exploration is also awarded, with many things scattered about the level that you will WANT to find, such as money pouches and Intel on characters or factions in the game. You won't be merely finding these for Achievements, you will genuinely want to find out more about characters essential to the excellent plot. Reading dossiers can either give players a deeper understanding of the story, provide helpful hints for taking on that enemy or just some quirky secret facts. The only real way to get the full enjoyment out of this game is to play using the stealth approach, as the shooting mechanics are weak. There are also some horrible boss battles and parts where you are forced into a gunfight, and these are by far the weakest moments in the game. Special credit has to go to the storytelling. I genuinely believe this game has one of the most enjoyable and immersive stories in modern gaming, made even more incredible by the fact that no two playthroughs will ever be the same, and the players choices have huge impacts on the things that happen in the game. Never judge a book by its cover. Ignore the graphics and the bugs and jump in. You won't regret it. Expand
  14. Nov 27, 2010
    Like another review of this game before mine, I really wanted to like this game. Even after all the negative reviews I read, I decided that I still wanted to give it a shot. It turns out that those negative reviews were too gracious with Alpha Protocol. The core game and it's concept is really cool, and I hope that something else like this comes along, but unfortunately this game is soLike another review of this game before mine, I really wanted to like this game. Even after all the negative reviews I read, I decided that I still wanted to give it a shot. It turns out that those negative reviews were too gracious with Alpha Protocol. The core game and it's concept is really cool, and I hope that something else like this comes along, but unfortunately this game is so bugged that I find it virtually unplayable. Big disappointment. Expand
  15. Dec 8, 2010
    What an embarrassing game, on all fronts. The visuals fail to impress and the games mechanics are just plain broken. The voice acting is drab and monotone, but I don't blame the actors because the script reads like it was written by a child. The stealth, fighting and shooting mechanics are all last generation quality and the hacking mini-games are absolutely mind numbing. This gameWhat an embarrassing game, on all fronts. The visuals fail to impress and the games mechanics are just plain broken. The voice acting is drab and monotone, but I don't blame the actors because the script reads like it was written by a child. The stealth, fighting and shooting mechanics are all last generation quality and the hacking mini-games are absolutely mind numbing. This game promises a ton and delivers VERY little. Expand
  16. May 3, 2012
    Two years after I originally purchasing this game, I finally beat it! I found the branching story to be compelling and entertaining. I was blown away with how my choices actually had an effect on the outcome of the story. Many games boast this feature, but I have never seen it done as well as it was in Alpha Protocol. Unfortunately, the actual game-play is pretty horrible. I knew thisTwo years after I originally purchasing this game, I finally beat it! I found the branching story to be compelling and entertaining. I was blown away with how my choices actually had an effect on the outcome of the story. Many games boast this feature, but I have never seen it done as well as it was in Alpha Protocol. Unfortunately, the actual game-play is pretty horrible. I knew this going in and is why I decided to played the game on easy. This allowed me to reduce the amount of time I actually had to spend in the missions. You can now pick this game up for under $10 almost everywhere and I highly recommend that you do for the story alone. Expand
  17. May 6, 2011
    This game was ok. Wouldnt advise anyone to rush out and buy it though. Graphics where good, storyline was fine and gameplay good. The one thing that really got on my **** was the pissing around with the security hacking systems, they could have made it a lot easier. Not up there with the best of rpgs, not memorable. Mediocre gamde overall.
  18. Apr 27, 2012
    The First time I played this game I thought it was one of the worst games ever. But now playing it the second time and actually being patient I have changed my mind and think this is one of the best games I have ever played this game is awesome
  19. Jul 4, 2011
    I really was curious about this game, but having read mixed reviews I held off buying it. I did see it quite cheap so I picked it up. I really like to RPG elements of this game & the choice you have in missions. But the choice is limited. No matter how stealthy you try to be it always ends up in a firefight. The shoot is really glitchy too (I found it hard to throw a grenade & aim). The AII really was curious about this game, but having read mixed reviews I held off buying it. I did see it quite cheap so I picked it up. I really like to RPG elements of this game & the choice you have in missions. But the choice is limited. No matter how stealthy you try to be it always ends up in a firefight. The shoot is really glitchy too (I found it hard to throw a grenade & aim). The AI is terrible, they stand there & let shoot them in the face until dead (which takes forever). The story & voice acting is pretty good, & there are some great Ideas, but the combat lets it down. Expand
  20. Jul 11, 2011
    If you are a fan of games then this is right for you. Alpha Protocol is an RPG that truly gives your actions consequences, you can proceed through missions in whichever order you choose, you can choose to kill or spare main characters that can come back to help you, there are many different ways of playing through depending on what you want to do, it's a smorgasbord of choice. After youIf you are a fan of games then this is right for you. Alpha Protocol is an RPG that truly gives your actions consequences, you can proceed through missions in whichever order you choose, you can choose to kill or spare main characters that can come back to help you, there are many different ways of playing through depending on what you want to do, it's a smorgasbord of choice. After you get past the not so good first mission hub (Saudi Arabia) the game really opens up and you'll get to see why this is one of the greatest RPGs ever made. Expand
  21. Apr 5, 2012
    dissapointing spy sim with some boring moments. When it does shine it does not last. this truly is a average game. graphics dull too. Bad presentation and terrible voice acting. even the choices you make arent really giving u a feel of importance. bad game
  22. Apr 11, 2012
    Unless you played Fallout in third person mode, you wouldn't associate an RPG with this play style. Alpha Protocol is not entirely an RPG and not entirely a third person shooter, but it has managed to find a niche in between. As well as being the game's title, Alpha Protocol is the name of the agency which you, Michael Thorton are employed by. That is, until you are betrayed by thisUnless you played Fallout in third person mode, you wouldn't associate an RPG with this play style. Alpha Protocol is not entirely an RPG and not entirely a third person shooter, but it has managed to find a niche in between. As well as being the game's title, Alpha Protocol is the name of the agency which you, Michael Thorton are employed by. That is, until you are betrayed by this organisation and forced continue your mission as a rouge soldier. This mission consists of investigating different locations throughout the world to uncover the truth and prevent a third world war from breaking out. The strongest point of Alpha Protocol is it's storyline. It is compelling and feels as though it could have been taken straight from the pages of a best-selling novel. The great thing is that it would take you around three times longer to complete this game than to finish reading a best seller. Unfortunately, the A-grade plot is not done any justice by it's voice acting. The acting from some characters is respectable but from the majority it is bland and unsuited to the current circumstances taking place. This often mocks the mood of a serious in-game event in a comedic way. In addition, the game's sound design is very mediocre. Weapons sound soulless and the music drags and is uneventful most of the time. It seems as though the sound was tacked on at the end of development. There are also some more technical issues with Alpha Protocol which will arise throughout the course of the game. The levels may be set in quite interesting and uncommon locations, but they are very linear. The level settings will force you to use a lackluster cover system whenever the camera doesn't get in your way and the AI is below average for a shooing game. They are, in fact, so incompetent that you will most likely find yourself passing a level using only melee attacks and a few bursts from your assault rifle. The amount of equipment at your disposal is unessential. You will have little need for EMP charges and incendiary grenades when you could just as easily kick an opponent to death as hurl a grenade at them. Bearing some sympathy, Obsidian got the RPG theme right with Alpha Protocol. In every conversation, you are given a dialog tree with a selection of responses which can dramatically effect the outcome of the game depending on how you act to certain characters. You can also customise your loadout before each mission with different weapons at attachments from the "Clearinghouse" online arsenal. These features add up to create an interesting experience and manage to cover up the problems that the game bears. Alpha Protocol could have potentially been an excellent game, but unfortunately was let down by some distinct errors. It is not by any means a bad game, in fact it should be praised for it's ambitious efforts, but it is not a game which will be highly regarded in the gaming industry. Expand
  23. Aug 30, 2012
    The most critically underrated game of all time. Complex story, great skill upgrades, unique characters, awesome weapon customization, tons of perks, choices matter greatly, fun gadgets, decent voices, etc. Only negative is slightly imperfect gameplay and a lot of menu surfing. If your a dues ex, stealth, or rpg fan its a must-buy. If you think call of duty is the greatest game of allThe most critically underrated game of all time. Complex story, great skill upgrades, unique characters, awesome weapon customization, tons of perks, choices matter greatly, fun gadgets, decent voices, etc. Only negative is slightly imperfect gameplay and a lot of menu surfing. If your a dues ex, stealth, or rpg fan its a must-buy. If you think call of duty is the greatest game of all time just because of high production value and spiffy gameplay/graphics you might be someone who won't like the game because it is not some simple run and gun shootfest and requires intelligence, reading skills, and a decent memory to be successful at it. Expand
  24. Sep 23, 2012
    Probably one of the most underrated games in this generation of consoles. It is amazing that in current times someone can still make a game intellectually challenging - that puts the story first, shooting/action second. I know it's not perfect, there are some technical flaws... But this game is about storytelling, emotions and choices!! (lots of choices!). The character depth andProbably one of the most underrated games in this generation of consoles. It is amazing that in current times someone can still make a game intellectually challenging - that puts the story first, shooting/action second. I know it's not perfect, there are some technical flaws... But this game is about storytelling, emotions and choices!! (lots of choices!). The character depth and interaction is awesome. You can make friends from your enemies and vice-versa, create your own play style based on it. It is amazing that you can complete this game and do not kill anyone in the process (I've made it personally at my fist playthrough). You can finish the game with completely different mindset than you started it with. There is lots of humor and hidden details in this game. It's simply amazing! In it's style it's close to Mass Effect, which I absolutely adored, so If you liked Mass Effect do not hesitate, do not look at reviews (63%? you've got to be kidding me! I've played much worse games with ~80% reviews) Obsidian Entertainment I salute you, It's been a while since I had such a good time in this world full of games with increasing numbers at it's titles. Expand
  25. Nov 11, 2012
    This is a great game.

There are some terrible bugs, glitches, and a few gameplay issues in the game that stop it from being GOTY quality., but it must be understood that this really is a GREAT game. The bugs and glitches are quite clearly a matter of them not having enough time to smooth out the product. This may be the producer's fault, it may be the studios, but either way it is a
    This is a great game.

The bugs and glitches are quite clearly a matter of them not having enough time to smooth out the product. This may be the producer's fault, it may be the studios, but either way it is a shame because this could have been a game of the year if they had had 6 more months of refinement.

The gameplay issues are a real disappointment.The game is at its stylistic best when you are in full espionage mode, not taking a shot, but while there are times that this play is rewarded, the vast majority of the time you are guns blazing and killing 40 people per level.

But when the game hits, it hits hard. There is real choice in this game. The black isle system for storyline branching is just better than other games, and their writing makes you care more. Your choices matter here. They matter a lot, and it makes you care. The graphics are okay, a bit low end but nothing terrible. The sound is good, the acting is decent, But the gameplay by and large is ridiculously fun.

This game would have gotten 10, if it weren't for some unforgivable bugs. But I can't recommend it enough, my 'fun factor' exceeded dragon age, the mass effect trilogy, and the elder scrolls series. This was my favorite RPG of the last 7 years, and I am left wondering how much better it could have been if they'd taken another 3 months.
  26. Dec 12, 2012
    As a shooter this game fails miserably. But as a stealth/espionage game it's very good. Lucky for me, I dislike shooters, and love stealth games. So for me this game was great. I loved the dialogue system, I loved the characters, settings where really pretty. Such a shame that it has gotten such a bad reputation among the professional reviewer community. I really do hope for a sequel one,As a shooter this game fails miserably. But as a stealth/espionage game it's very good. Lucky for me, I dislike shooters, and love stealth games. So for me this game was great. I loved the dialogue system, I loved the characters, settings where really pretty. Such a shame that it has gotten such a bad reputation among the professional reviewer community. I really do hope for a sequel one, perhaps with a developer that might give it the attention it deserves. Collapse
  27. Jul 31, 2013
    When you expect a game from Sega it's usually another Sonic game. But this is something different. Alpha Protocol is a RPG espionage game that holds back stealing from James Bond films. It's completely original through both gameplay and story. A story that would make James bond's fifty year old panties wet.

You play as Micheal Thornton, a character with no backstory (besides a

You play as Micheal Thornton, a character with no backstory (besides a dossier on who your character is) but has a completely customized set of skill that makes a good point for gameplay progression, but not character. You are set out to find a terror group that shot down an airliner with stolen weapons. But as you start progressing the story you then learn of a company that wants to start a Cold War for their profit. You then set out as a rouge agent to expose them and the secret division of people that work for them.

Gameplay is the main focus, despite the laggy controls. You basically build your perfect agent and do what you need to do. Every faction of people or certain people you fight or get aided by have strengths and weaknesses that you can read in their dossiers. Like for example: Say you are fighting one of the boss characters and you seem at disadvantage, but then you learn he has some sort of head injury that makes him vulnerable to concussions and that grenades can daze him.

Cut rate graphics and piss poor controls hurts this game, but if you can look past that you see a game worth a few playthroughs.
  28. Apr 27, 2013
    Alpha Protocol at its core is a brilliant and daringly original attempt at bringing something new to the RPG/Action genre. Certainly, the game has some major flaws, low quality graphics, occasional glitches and poor balancing when it comes to weapons and combat skills....BUT! If you can see passed this you will find a gem of a game. The conversation systems is unparralled in my books,Alpha Protocol at its core is a brilliant and daringly original attempt at bringing something new to the RPG/Action genre. Certainly, the game has some major flaws, low quality graphics, occasional glitches and poor balancing when it comes to weapons and combat skills....BUT! If you can see passed this you will find a gem of a game. The conversation systems is unparralled in my books, offering branching directions in story, peoples reactions and more, all depending on the approach you take. You genuinely feel that your every decision and action has an effect. Its a real shame SEGA are unlikely to get a second shot at realising a more polished sequel. A great shame, that originality is rebuked while rehashing the same old FPS and game model is rewarded. Expand
  29. Jul 17, 2013
    Apparently specially trained covert spies are not able to shoot straight... That is what you will be fighting the whole game is the aiming. The stealth aspect is horrible for you are going up against A.I which are apparently omnipotent and are able to know where you are and pinpoint where to shoot before you are detected! Or the A.I is either completely braindead. In one of the firstApparently specially trained covert spies are not able to shoot straight... That is what you will be fighting the whole game is the aiming. The stealth aspect is horrible for you are going up against A.I which are apparently omnipotent and are able to know where you are and pinpoint where to shoot before you are detected! Or the A.I is either completely braindead. In one of the first levels of the game you see this by a man shooting at your helicopter with an RPG, I hit him twice and he still was focusing on the chopper which was of no threat, it was as if he could only look up and fire at the sky, and the dumb A.I will go up to you hit you in the face once, and slowly move back from your fire. The story is stupid, at the end (Spoiler alert) I have the option to tell this G-man that i have somehow put a grenade in his pocket without him or I seeing it happen and he explodes. Stay away from this game, the only thing that saves it from a 1 is the conversation system and even that is not that great (just hit B to impress Co workers and X for Scarlet). Expand
  30. Jul 21, 2013
    Finally got to play this through. I started it quite a long time ago and after completing the training part and part of the first real mission I quit. I didn't hate it but I had better games at hand then. Started it again and boy was my first impression wrong. It seems that has happened to many others as well. This was and is a truly great game and has tons of replay value due to variousFinally got to play this through. I started it quite a long time ago and after completing the training part and part of the first real mission I quit. I didn't hate it but I had better games at hand then. Started it again and boy was my first impression wrong. It seems that has happened to many others as well. This was and is a truly great game and has tons of replay value due to various courses you can take with your decisions. If you like RPGs this is definitely a great game. If you expect it to be a shooter, you're going to be disappointed. I actually created a profile on Metacritic just to rate this game as it definitely is totally an underrated gem. Too bad they are not going to make a sequel. Expand
  31. Sep 9, 2013
    Splinter Cell turned RPG is the best way to describe Alpha Protocol. In most RPGs it is only your final choices that determine how the game ends, and your in-game choices do not significantly affect how the game develops as you play it. In contrast EVERY choice you make in Alpha Protocol will affect not only the ending but also how the game develops as you play it. Your aiming accuracy isSplinter Cell turned RPG is the best way to describe Alpha Protocol. In most RPGs it is only your final choices that determine how the game ends, and your in-game choices do not significantly affect how the game develops as you play it. In contrast EVERY choice you make in Alpha Protocol will affect not only the ending but also how the game develops as you play it. Your aiming accuracy is bad at first because you need to level up your skills, your weapons are bad at first because you need to purchase better weapons or new parts. This is kind of what you do in RPGs. In shooters your skills are already as good as they get. In RPGs they are not. Yes the gameplay is linear but how the storyline, characters and scenarios develop are not. The core of RPG is 'choice', not just physical open-world type of choice and appearance customization, but also dialogue choices that affect how the game plays and ends. This game may not have an open-world nor appearance customization, but it makes up for it by having a highly complex and dynamic dialogue system where the choices made will affect your gameplay and the story development in a direct way. It has a highly intricate system of cause and effect, more advanced than what Mass Effect, Fallout and Elder Scrolls have delivered. Alpha Protocol is far from a "simple shooter". Expand
  32. Aug 23, 2013
    Hands down, in the bottom three of games I have ever played. I got about halfway through the game and had to stop myself from continuing on not out of frustration, but sheer boredom. The idea of an RPG espionage where you become the quintessential super spy was a brilliant idea. The custom "class" development was a brilliant idea. The gadgets, weapons and overall equipment was a brilliantHands down, in the bottom three of games I have ever played. I got about halfway through the game and had to stop myself from continuing on not out of frustration, but sheer boredom. The idea of an RPG espionage where you become the quintessential super spy was a brilliant idea. The custom "class" development was a brilliant idea. The gadgets, weapons and overall equipment was a brilliant idea.The one thing I will give this game total props for is a more immerse dialogue than I have experienced up to date. The conversations were fluid and will run past you if you don't think on your toes and I feel as though the developers created this dynamic dialogue system where it does actually feel like you are interacting with the NPC's.

The tragic thing is, this game had a LOT of potential for me. There were a lot of good ideas. Sadly, good ideas did not end up translating to well thought out game mechanics. First, lets start with combat. Or rather, lets start with how bad the combat system is. The huge difficulty I found was poor level design and a horrific gunplay system. More often than not, to hit my target and make it relevant I had to aim at a target for 1-5 seconds at a time depending on my class and make sure my cursor stayed on target. If I drifted off for the slightest second I had to re-aim and wait for the crosshair to once again lock-on. This wouldn't necessarily be a problem...except that during this entire ordeal of landing ONE shot I'm being peppered by bots with ridiculous accuracy. To naturally hit a target you have to basically stand up with a glowing red alarm on your head and broadcast to the world that you would like to be shot. Repeatedly. While the game has a blind-fire system...it doesn't really do anything. Enemies aren't really suppressed by it and every once in a while a stray bullet *might* find its target.

Next, the abilities. As someone who enjoys using ability based-characters in a game, this was a total letdown. Cool-downs are horrifically long, but your abilities need to be used rather frequently especially if using a sneaky saboteur character (i.e. NOT a shooter). I can't tell you how many hours I spent sitting in front of my television waiting for an ability to recharge simply so I could sneak past the guard next to a door who NEVER moves as I used up all my gadgets sneaking past the other 5 guards who do the same thing. All this waiting will eventually becomes monotonous and outright boring. Also be prepared to never die as many locations are ruined by a poor checkpoint system which has you respawn in front of shotgun buddy who promptly kills you while the color is still returning to your screen....Over and over and over again.

Furthermore, a lot of "secondary missions" are mandatory and are rarely obvious. I remember one level in particular with disdain where I spent hours trying to clear a courtyard in a forced gunfight only to be killed over and over again as my character couldn't even manage to hit the nteenth story mansion behind all the bad guys. Come to find out, if you purchased "intel" before the mission you could gain access to a sniper level which makes the mission significantly easier and even somewhat fun. The problem is realizing this and getting to it is so non-intuitive its frustrating beyond belief. I'm sure late game it becomes fun as many character-related problems likely evaporate since cool-downs decrease and guns become usable, but for the first 10 hours of gameplay the whole thing feels like an overly tedious grind session.

This game had a lot of potential and I wanted to like it. I really did. But after spending hours upon hours either waiting for abilities to cool-down, running out of ammo/gadgets, or being instantly killed because of a poorly thought out checkpoint system I had to put the game down to retain my sanity. Its a shame, because this game *could* have been great.

(+): Great concepts, highly interactive dialogue system, good plot

(-): Lackluster graphics, poorly executed gameplay mechanics, horrifically executed abilities, occasional game breaking bugs, too many "forced" shootouts make playing non-shooter characters nearly impossible early on
  33. Dec 12, 2012

1. The tragedy of Alpha Protocol is that, hidden behind the mass of technical failings is a superb action RPG bristling with choice and driven by some inspired storytelling.
  2. What Obsidian has crafted is a decent first attempt that shamelessly borrows elements from some heavy-hitting titles in an attempt to make them its own. While we refrain from using the term 'unique' in any capacity, somehow the result feels fresh enough to warrant at least a single playthrough.
  3. Alpha Protocol threatens absurdity only on rare occasions - generally its plot is well conceived and told, particularly when you factor in the multiple narrative strands that can be followed. [July 2010, p.112]