4.0

1. Jan 16, 2012
    Let me start by saying that this game is not a 10--I gave a 10 to even out some of these ridiculous scores. Ok, on to the actual review. Amy is a game with great ideas and gameplay concepts that are interesting and fresher than most of the full games being released for $60. The atmosphere is good, and the music sound effects tie in well. It hits the survival horror vibe quite nicely,Let me start by saying that this game is not a 10--I gave a 10 to even out some of these ridiculous scores. Ok, on to the actual review. Amy is a game with great ideas and gameplay concepts that are interesting and fresher than most of the full games being released for $60. The atmosphere is good, and the music sound effects tie in well. It hits the survival horror vibe quite nicely, and that is a blessing considering this genre has lost its way since Resident Evil decided to go "Action Adventure". The story is interesting and well told, but the voice acting is a bit spotty (not bad overall, I'm just pointing out everything that I can). Here is where it gets bad--this game runs like **** Choppy, low frame rates...screen tearing...texture popping...oh my. However, it in no way makes the game unplayable. Now on to the controls/gameplay. Control layout is good, but the movement can be a little awkward--I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing because it gives the game a sense of struggle. What I mean is if the movement/controls were super sharp, you would be able to just "game" your way through--I know it's a game, but similar to a game called Heavy Rain, the controls were purposely made awkward, so that you couldn't just game your way through and you were drawn into the struggle and difficulty of making choices and surviving under pressure. For that reason, I do not mind the awkward movement.

The fighting is simplistic, but works--I actually prefer the simple layout here because I'm trying to survive as a normal person in the game. The main character is not some bad ass, so simple hit the zombie controls work for me. The puzzles can be a pushover and some feel out of place leaving you wondering why it even exists, but it does have a throw-back Resident Evil feel at times (which is good).

The graphics are pretty damn good for a 1.5 gig game. They were going for a realistic approach, so, of course, with that size this game doesn't look like Uncharted--it does have good enough graphics to draw you in and enjoy the game. The graphics are not unbearable or anything like that. They could have achieved a much more polished look by changing the art style to something less realistic, but that would have taken away from the survival horror atmosphere, so I think they made the right choice.

Content is a little lacking--campaign is short as expected for a download title, but they could have done some things to draw out some extra gameplay time, such as game modes like time attack, etc. Shame that they didn't include something else, but overall the experience of the game is worth the $10 (in my opinion).

Overall this game is an experience of wanting more: more gameplay, more graphics, more performance, but in the end it still delivers a fresh gameplay experience that is different than most things on the market. I think this game's concept and ambition would have been fully realized with a properly funded development for a full disc based title--I'm kind of sad that it was limited to less than a couple gigs as a download title. With the reviews being so horrible, I doubt we'll see a full disc based sequel or any sequel for that matter, but what a shame--it could have been brilliant. I do predict that we will see a rip-off version of this in the next couple years that takes some of these great concepts and puts them to good use.

In closing: This game isn't even as close to as bad as the critics and user reviews might lead you to believe. If you are a classic survival horror fan--you should definitely check this title out. If you are a casual fan of the genre--give the demo a try. If you are uninterested in the genre--there's nothing here that will change your mind, so stay clear. Demos are free, so do yourself a favor if you are even slightly interested and give it a try (that's what I did and I ended up purchasing). My real score is a 7 out of 10 (as a $10 download game).
  2. Jan 19, 2012
    This is another futile crusade. A little stupid and fiercely honest. Amy will also be a mediocre game. But definitely not a game 2. Why this stubbornness? It costs $ 9, you can use the easy mode. And I think it's smart not to be against a game that has decent ideas. Poor? Okay. 1 or 2? Ridiculous.
  3. Jan 17, 2012
    GOTY
    This is a game for the TRUE gamers aka not Nintendo or Xbox kids.. It is hard and punishing like Dark Souls, but just as rewarding. You need to be a master player like me to full appreciate te depth and complexity this game has to offer.
  4. Jan 23, 2012
    Amy isn't a great Blockbuster... So what ? It deserves to be ridiculised like this? This is stupid.
    Amy surely deserves a 6 or a seven, at least cause it tries something different from the mainstream audience. I give a 10 just for balancing the incredibly syupid bad notations. Giving Amy a 2 or 3 is arguiying that the game is worst by far from Chopplifter HD that is a real bad game. So wake up guys!!!
  5. Jan 20, 2012
    Aroma old schoo total , survival horror. La gente no tiene ni idea, ven que tiene algun fallo brusco en el motoro y se olvidan lo que ofrece realmente este juego.

Es lo mas cercano a un SIlent Hill, es grandioso, ambientacion de autentico lujo.

Crea una atmofera de 10.

1. Mar 13, 2012
    It has a certain old school charm and a couple of really good ideas, but it's also rather ugly, repetitive and tiring. [April 2012, p.82]
  2. Mar 10, 2012
    Intense, riveting, terrifying and masterful are just a few of the words we wouldn't use to describe Amy. One of the worst games on Xbox Live Arcade. [Issue#82, p.102]
  3. Feb 15, 2012
    Everything good about Amy is undone by laborious puzzles and miserable controls. [March 2012, p.95]