Armored Core: For Answer Xbox 360

7.9

1. ErikB.
    Oct 6, 2008
    This game is not much of an improvement from the last. Awful mech game. Mech Warrior what armored core is trying to be.
  2. Aaron
    Nov 5, 2008
    The greatest way to make up for the shortcomings of a game is for it to suck you in to the experience. Even if you think the story is difficult to follow--I really don't see where that comes from--the insane scale of the game cannot be ignored. At times, you truly feel like a god of destruction; it's almost frightening to imagine the power at your finger tips. No game I've The greatest way to make up for the shortcomings of a game is for it to suck you in to the experience. Even if you think the story is difficult to follow--I really don't see where that comes from--the insane scale of the game cannot be ignored. At times, you truly feel like a god of destruction; it's almost frightening to imagine the power at your finger tips. No game I've played delivers this experience so flawlessly. Expand
  3. BrandonT.
    Sep 20, 2008
    This is the game all Armored core fans such as myself have been waiting for! In other words "the game that should have been". In this installment the took all the negitive feedback from armored core 4 and worked endlessly to fix it. No more infinite ammo and EN, warping, shadow hitting. While there is slight lag its nothing to go to thier front step with a pitchfork. More customization This is the game all Armored core fans such as myself have been waiting for! In other words "the game that should have been". In this installment the took all the negitive feedback from armored core 4 and worked endlessly to fix it. No more infinite ammo and EN, warping, shadow hitting. While there is slight lag its nothing to go to thier front step with a pitchfork. More customization whch equall more originality. More leves and a certain multiplayer level which will make you happy. (While its not EXACTLY what we asked but i think they got our 'we want a space level' mail. With all these improvments you'de be crazy enough to NOT like it. Expand
  4. John
    Oct 11, 2008
    Insanely fun, possibly the best entry in the series. Huge selection of parts and weapons to choose from you can get lost in for hours.
  5. DaveS.
    Sep 24, 2008
    There's freaking CO-OP in this game. I usually think of FPS, the generic kind of gameplay we've all grown tired of, as co-op games. But Armored Core! That, and the story, are my two favorite aspects of the game right now. Of course there are almost RPG elements, such as the music and the nature of epicness... you should just play it yourself to see what it's like.
  6. EmilyG.
    Sep 24, 2008
    Great online gameplay. All my friends are really enjoying themselves as am I. This is a great game.
  7. ConradKreyling
    Apr 19, 2009
    Controls, controls, controls. I spent most of the game being unable to turn my mech and shoot at the same time due to a bad selection at the beginning of the game (X+A to shoot). You are unable to rectify this, however, as once you have started the game all of the "Auto" options as well as the control palette are now hidden from view.

The AI is also unforgiving, and is able to do many

The AI is also unforgiving, and is able to do many things the player cannot, such as landing hits by "reading" the controller, and moving the mech's torso while shooting. As has been started, the camera is sluggish and does not keep up with your often speed-of-sound NEXT battles. I truly wonder if any play-testing was done by Ubisoft, or if the title was simply pressed and shipped.

The game delivers on heavy customization through a series of unlocks, won by fighting ranked matches. These ranked matches are the worst kind of grind: 30 maps of "die-reconfigure-die-reconfigure" until you find the one perfect combination to defeat your current opponent (remember the AI complaints?) at which point you're presented with a new opponent and the cycle begins anew.

All in all this game is unfulfilling to all but the most hardcore of Armored Core fans. Most will simply get frustrated, bored, or a combination of the two.
  8. samtanklin
    Dec 17, 2008
    If you like mech games with an emphasis on customization AND action, this is the title to buy. From has implemented a Regulations system that will allow them to further balance the game in the future (they're working on a future regulation now), and the title has Online, LAN, and Split-screen co-op, team battle, deathmatch and duel modes. If you're an Armored Core fan,If you like mech games with an emphasis on customization AND action, this is the title to buy. From has implemented a Regulations system that will allow them to further balance the game in the future (they're working on a future regulation now), and the title has Online, LAN, and Split-screen co-op, team battle, deathmatch and duel modes. If you're an Armored Core fan, you've probably already bought this, if you're a fan of the mech action genre, you should definitely pick it up. It's actually easier to get into by newcomers to the series as well, but with more customization for the mech geeks among us. Expand
  9. EdmundC.
    Sep 21, 2008
    Armored Core fans rejoice! The latest installment of this long running and most excellent series is here, and it
  10. AlbertB.
    Sep 24, 2008
    It would be a lie to say the game falls short of expectations. i can't believe how much customization is possible! FOR ANSWER is highly advanced for an armor core game, but even compared to the last AC title this one is ahead of its time.
  11. CarolineB.
    Sep 24, 2008
    The graphics are basic... pretty mediocre. Except for the story graphics: those are actually very realistic. But the gameplay graphics aren't so great. Other than that, the futuristic, almost post-apocalyptic nature of the background of the game is to me very riveting.
  12. AshRaul
    Dec 28, 2008
    this game is FUN. i understand the story is extreamly hard to grasp, but the story is made for fanatics, everything past that is fun for almost everyone, the flying the customization, the co-op. there are difficult parts in the game, but heck, if the game was too easy that would be a downside too.
  13. Oct 12, 2010
    62 score? What?!? This just goes to show that people have become accustomed to bending-over, and accepting all the dumbed-down crap that game studios put out these days. If a game doesn't hold your hand, and display a giant red Y BUTTON on-screen, then it's too hard for the nancy-boy critics.
    Either that, or maybe Square-Enix refuses to pay them their "positive review tax." But you didn't hear it from me.
    Easily in the top-5 best mech-combat simulation games out there. Honestly, In my personal opinion, it's gameplay is way too fast. This is coming from an Armored Core veteran, who's owned/played every AC game since PSOne. I prefer the heavy feel of the mechs from the early Armored Core games, and Chromehounds.

Armored Core 5 is going to bring this series back to the spotlight by slowing down the mechs, making the environments and mission more detailed amd immersive, introducing super "Over" weapons, and a ton of other additions.

Why do people waste their money on games like Galo, where they spend countless hours repeating the same thing to customize their character with a new helmet.... woohoo... when they can have a hard drive full of dozens of custom, unique giant robots to pit against each other in combat?? Hopefully, Square Enix will get the recipe right this time around, and bring Armored Core to the forefront of gaming.
  14. Sep 4, 2013
    Though the aggregate score doesn't reflect it the game is a significant improvement over the disappointing Armored Core 4 with slightly better control, weapons sound effects that pack more of a punch, a great sense of scale and for the most part more interesting missions. The customization menus are also streamlined a bit better making that aspect of the game less of a headache withoutThough the aggregate score doesn't reflect it the game is a significant improvement over the disappointing Armored Core 4 with slightly better control, weapons sound effects that pack more of a punch, a great sense of scale and for the most part more interesting missions. The customization menus are also streamlined a bit better making that aspect of the game less of a headache without sacrificing complexity for those who want to dig deeper.

There are still frustrating missions as From Software is known for producing difficult games, but on the whole they don't feel as unbalanced as those in AC4 which were either incredibly short and easy or controller-throwing difficult. The graphics aren't perfect but the destructible environments are a lot of fun and the mechs themselves still look great.

Those looking for a good story should look elsewhere as you'll have a hard time caring about the confusing tale of corporate warfare, but story is something that the series has rarely focused on.

While I would still limit my recommendation to fans of the series, For Answer is much more playable and polished than AC4 and a worthy addition to the franchise.
  15. Jan 7, 2014
    The game is pretty good, but I do have a few issues with it, namely how it handles. default controls for this game are atrocious, there is no easy way to put it. And even after re-mapping pretty much everything, it still takes some getting used to. Once you get used to your new controls, the game handles much better, and it can become satisfying to pilot your NEXT.

Combat in this game

Combat in this game is fast and satisfying, but I am more of a fan of the speed in older (and newer) Armored Core games. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with this game's speed, I do enjoy it, but I just prefer the slower pace of 3 and V.

The biggest issue I have with this game is how easy it is. Don't get me wrong, the game can be quite challenging if you refuse to use Laser blades during the campaign... But the second you equip one of those weapons on your AC, the game becomes painfully easy.

I really love the aesthetics of the game. The game and the NEXT's models do look dated now days, but they are still good looking enough to capture your imagination. The ability to further improve certain aspects of your AC using FCS control points is a great feature, and one that I was honestly sad to lose in V and Verdict Day.

The boss battles are jaw-dropping, and reminiscent of the ones found in "Shadow of the Colossus"... only replace the character with a giant robot, and the Colossi with even bigger robots. Although some of these battles are very exploitable, and become jokes with the use of laser swords, one cannot deny the feeling of satisfaction that is derived from reducing one of these baddies to dust.

Although it isn't the best Armored Core game in my personal opinion, it is still definitely worth buying!

1. Armored Core is best enjoyed with other enthusiasts, and For Answer has an impressive array of online options. [Sept 2008, p.88]
  2. The cut scenes are gorgeous, the mech design is cool, the overall art style is kind of awesome… but the game itself isn’t really worth it.
    If you think mech customization and boost-filled battles sound like your cup of tea, Armored Core does deliver on those parts.