6.2

1. Apr 5, 2013
    I really enjoy this game. Il loved the first Army of Two. The second one was a big disapointment in my opinion but this one brings back the franchise where it belongs.

I don't understand why reviews by Ign and Gamespot have been so hard on the game. It's filled with great action, good graphics, fun gameplay et despite what they are saying, the game hasn't lost its soul. There's still funny lines and co-op actions to do. In fact, co-op is one of the plus of this game. Co-op dedicated game are so rare.

Yes they took out some things from the previous two installment but this game doest not deserves a 5.0/10. It's much more like 7.0 or 7.5. Sure the lacks of multiplayer may have affected the rating, but why do a multiplayer that sucks or that nobody will play anyway ?

I hate that today, reviews by popular sites can destroy the sales of a game or kill the franchise itsell. By example, Duke Nukem Forever. Me and two of my friend (3 sales) where gonna buy that game but didn't because of the bad reviews. Sure, In that case, the game sucked. The thing is "Army of Two Devil's Cartel" is rated as bad as this game. It's NOWHERE that bad. I almost didn't buy it because of the reviews. I would hate regret it deeply. Please got some consistency with the ratings. I something am seriously questionning myself on these sites. It's like, you didn't pay us so we're gonna bring your game down.

Anyway, try the game and judge it by yourself. I really love it and hope the franchise will continue.

"-Running in front a machine gun is insane

-Isn't that what we just did ?

-Yes, but we're Awesome!"

Lost it souls?! No way!

Thanks for reading.
  2. May 9, 2013
    This game is simply one word Fun. Reviewers seem to have listed a ton of cons like another user has said and then axed the score, yet rated other more profound games higher that have the same cons. Nothing more than hypocrites! I've always liked the Army of Two games. Okay they don't have the best story lines, but what it lacks in the story it kicks it up a notch with intense shooting andThis game is simply one word Fun. Reviewers seem to have listed a ton of cons like another user has said and then axed the score, yet rated other more profound games higher that have the same cons. Nothing more than hypocrites! I've always liked the Army of Two games. Okay they don't have the best story lines, but what it lacks in the story it kicks it up a notch with intense shooting and good visuals. It's just fun! Which is what games were made for, great for kicking back with a pal and tearing some enemies to shreds.

I'm a bit disappointed that they removed some of the things that made the previous games exceptionally fun, but that wouldn't stop me from playing the game. If you're skeptical about buying it, grab a friend; rent it together and have a laugh with it instead.
  3. Apr 4, 2013
    i'm amazed how the current so called reviewers hited a new low. they list a serious of cons and then axe the score but at same time with the same con but in another shooters we know they give perfect scores. double standards and hypocrisy at best! is not the best shooter and it never wanted to be a call of duty or battlefield. this is a shooter made for you and a friend only and have a ai'm amazed how the current so called reviewers hited a new low. they list a serious of cons and then axe the score but at same time with the same con but in another shooters we know they give perfect scores. double standards and hypocrisy at best! is not the best shooter and it never wanted to be a call of duty or battlefield. this is a shooter made for you and a friend only and have a a good time with some jokes and explosions. this is a game that makes you feel good and have a great time, resuming this is a game that understands what games are made for!! if you dont buy this game because of the reviews then you're missing out a great game. Expand
  4. Mar 31, 2013
    Good:
    + Great story
    + Good co-op
    + Cover system
    + Simple weapon customizations

Bad:
    + Camera angle is really bad
    + Some graphical glitches

Very good game! Great story, nice game. Nice co-op and cover system. Yeah there is some bad things like camera angle, but game is still good. So far, the best game this spring!
  5. Mar 26, 2013
    It's not a perfect game by any means. The cover system tends to be sticky, there are some graphical issues like screen tear and texture pop, and it tends to be a little glitchy. Lack of polish aside, the combat and game feel are still nice, and I still had a fun time with it over all. Pretty good, but not spectacular.
  6. Mar 29, 2013
    I cannot understand why critics are not in favor of this game, it's incredible. Everything from the amazing customization (masks, load outs, etc.) to the insane destructible environments, provided you use the brutal overkill mode, is just breathtaking. Its not a masterpiece, by any sense, the story and characters are pretty mediocre and there are some graphical glitches throughout. TheseI cannot understand why critics are not in favor of this game, it's incredible. Everything from the amazing customization (masks, load outs, etc.) to the insane destructible environments, provided you use the brutal overkill mode, is just breathtaking. Its not a masterpiece, by any sense, the story and characters are pretty mediocre and there are some graphical glitches throughout. These cons however, are vastly overshadowed by solid controls, equally up to par co-op action, and countless ways to differentiate your T.W.O operative. Overall a great entry in a ridiculously fun series. Expand
  7. Mar 28, 2013
    Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel is an amazing new entry in the AoT series, it still focuses on co-op, customization and over the top action. There are more than a few flaws but overall it is a decent length thrill ride that has strong replay value. Graphics look decent and gun play is feels fluid (as long as you don't mind aim assist). The story will run you about 15 hours on the hardestArmy of Two: The Devil's Cartel is an amazing new entry in the AoT series, it still focuses on co-op, customization and over the top action. There are more than a few flaws but overall it is a decent length thrill ride that has strong replay value. Graphics look decent and gun play is feels fluid (as long as you don't mind aim assist). The story will run you about 15 hours on the hardest difficulty, time will very on co-op or solo and skill level. Bad guys feel rather generic and there is a lack of unique enemies but overall the cartel proves to get the job done. Get this game for a good time solo or with a friend. Expand
  8. Mar 31, 2013
    I LOVE THIS GAME i do not understand why the critics are being so picky with this game its better than the last TWO [ha ha] and the gun/mask creator is very neat and polished this game deserves more praise
  9. Apr 3, 2013
    I had fun with it. Truth is, there aren't enough solid third person shooter's out there. This one has good controls, the guns have a good kick to them. The story is not spectacular but is enough to keep you interested in how things turn out.

We as gamers need to wake up and support good games like this one, the critics won't do it as they fancy themselves as "art critics" rather than game critics. This game is not a work of art, and does not set out to be, but if you want a damn good time, where you can feel like a bad ass for 8-10 hours pick this up and other games like it.
  10. Apr 7, 2013
    I've only played a little bit of the previous title and so I didn't really know what to expect other than a a co-op third person shooter. I thoroughly enjoyed this game even though the story was a little weak and some cover issues, but other than that I liked it.
  11. Apr 12, 2013
    Absolutely amazing. Nothing wrong except occasional sound glitches. Really enjoy the destructible environment, the allowed dismemberment of people. All around a amazing game.
  12. Mar 26, 2013
    The best Army of Two so far, A lot of action, destructive enviroments, funny moments and the arcade gameplay that the franchise do so well. If you wanna have a good time with some friend, and you love shooters, this is for you.
  13. Mar 27, 2013
    Another great addition to the franchise... in action sense. Not very heavy on story, but just killing and enjoying the arcadic feel. The gun play is awesome, and the overkill mode makes it feel empowering. Long campaign, with short levels to test your capability of teamwork.
  14. Mar 29, 2013
    destructoid is once again smoking crack, giving this game a 4 out of 10, it is an easy 8.5, everything is destructible, great graphics, story avg but gameplay really fun, haven't found bugs or glitches and i been playing the game alot, and it is more fun than lotta new games,
  15. Mar 26, 2013
    Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel is an amazing edition to the series. The graphics are gorgeous on the Frostbite 2 engine from the developers of Battlefield 3. The overkill mode you get from performing co-op maneuvers adds a great edition to fights and helps you eliminate tougher enemies like nothing so save up overkill for when you really need it. This game is by far the best in the seriesArmy of Two: The Devil's Cartel is an amazing edition to the series. The graphics are gorgeous on the Frostbite 2 engine from the developers of Battlefield 3. The overkill mode you get from performing co-op maneuvers adds a great edition to fights and helps you eliminate tougher enemies like nothing so save up overkill for when you really need it. This game is by far the best in the series and probablly the best shooter of this year. Amazing 10/10 Expand
  16. Mar 29, 2013
    so much swag in this game, that the swag outweighs everything else, you just wanna play until your swag has run out, which is never cos this game has so much
  17. Mar 26, 2013
    The best AoT yet! This is a true co-op game. Don't bother playing if you don't have a co-op buddy. The game wont be the same. The use of Frostbite 2 takes the series to another level. It's the best looking AoT by far. Weapons customization is great and so is the mask editor. The voice over work is marvellous too. The only weak aspect is the story, but who cares when you are shooting up!The best AoT yet! This is a true co-op game. Don't bother playing if you don't have a co-op buddy. The game wont be the same. The use of Frostbite 2 takes the series to another level. It's the best looking AoT by far. Weapons customization is great and so is the mask editor. The voice over work is marvellous too. The only weak aspect is the story, but who cares when you are shooting up! Recommended. Expand
  18. Mar 26, 2013
    Army of Two the devil's cartel is the amazing game of the coop.
    The customize is just amazing, the graphics are georgous, it's a one of the best game of coop.
    I love this serie
  19. Apr 1, 2013
    I don't understand why this game is getting such mediocre scores from critics, it's not going to be an award winning game but then again it's not trying to be. If you buy this game you should expect over the top action and cheesy characters, but it also has enjoyable gameplay, the guns feel like they sound and feel like they do real damage thanks to the Frostbite 2 engine. There are tonnesI don't understand why this game is getting such mediocre scores from critics, it's not going to be an award winning game but then again it's not trying to be. If you buy this game you should expect over the top action and cheesy characters, but it also has enjoyable gameplay, the guns feel like they sound and feel like they do real damage thanks to the Frostbite 2 engine. There are tonnes more customisation options over the past 2 games (masks, guns, attachments, weapon skins, character skins etc.) and it definitely feels longer length wise, if you want a good co-op game then this is definitely worth your consideration. The only negative points I have are there is no drop-in co-op so you have to restart a chapter if someone requests to join, and it can get a little glitchy online sometimes. Other than that I'm really enjoying it and have already started my second play through. Expand
  20. Apr 2, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of the army of two series and this game sure doens't dissapointment me.
    The first one was one of my favorite games iv ever played. It was so orignal, so much fun and the amount of weapon customization was never done before. The second was was a downgrade but still had the charisma the first had,
    Well this one by far surpasses the first two. I just beat it and i was blown
    Well this one by far surpasses the first two. I just beat it and i was blown away by the ending. Also it's quite long, and took me around 13 hours to beat which is great. The first half of the game was alright, the story didn't kick off till half way threw but once it did I couldn't put the game down.
    You now play as alpha and your teammate is bravo. No longer Saleem and Rios but they still play a major major part in the game and fans of the original games will love what happens.
    At first the new characters really didn't do it for me. They were just too stiff and generic at first but they half way threw they started to warm up and got a personality of there own.
    The gameplay is greatly improved from previous ones. The cover system is I'd say one of the best. You can now blow up and shoot up walls and cover which is just purely sick. There's also a pretty detailed gore system. You can shoot off enemies heads, arms, hands, legs and there torso. An enemy sitting behind cover? Either throw a frag at it or shoot his damn head off.
    The rest of the gameplay is solid and so smooth as well.
    Also getting a total upgrade is the graphics. The game looks great and some of the effects are crazy good.
    Just like the previous installments there's a very deep customazation section but even better than before.
    You still get a ton of weapon attachment, and so many masks to choose from(over 20) and you can also custom make mask and give your guy an assortment of tattoos.
    Even with all these great additions some stuff that made ao2 different is missing.
    No more back to back shoot outs which were purely amazing. Also missing is the ability to mess around with your buddy by punching him, dropping him on his face on step jumps and no more Rock Paper Scissors! Are these major things, no but I still liked them all.

Graphics-9/10
    Sound-10/10(voice acting is top notch, as well as the guns)
    Story-8.5/10(started off too slow)
    Gameplay-9/10
    Customization-10/10
    Overall-9/10
    I truly love this game. Obviously it's gonna get looked over because its published by EA and being released with bioshock infinite but it deserves better. It's an unique shooter, an addicting shooter, and a fun shooter.
  21. Jun 8, 2014
    Army of two series is excellent this one was the pick of the lot. I thought the story was blinding and the graphics were awesome, I cant understand why people thought this was the worst. I just hope they bring out another army of two they are great ...
  22. Apr 9, 2013
    Great game! Not bad at all like critics are saying. I playing for myself and have a lot of fun. Graphics OK. Gameplay and history should be a little better but in the end, you´ll enjoy.
  23. Apr 23, 2013
    I don't get all the hate for this game from the "critics" ?If you look at the actual player reviews they are mostly positive. I have enjoyed all AOT games in franchise they don't reinvent the genre but they are all fun adult shooters and dismemberment never gets old to me. I like the maps in this installment and going against the cartel makes for a good enemy to take out, had to give myI don't get all the hate for this game from the "critics" ?If you look at the actual player reviews they are mostly positive. I have enjoyed all AOT games in franchise they don't reinvent the genre but they are all fun adult shooters and dismemberment never gets old to me. I like the maps in this installment and going against the cartel makes for a good enemy to take out, had to give my take definItely better then score shows. Expand
  24. Apr 24, 2013
    Honestly i'm giving this a 9 simply to counter all the terrible reviews about this game. It's an 8 at best, but it's fun, mindless and again fun. Pay it with a friend and especially if you enjoy the other games.
  25. May 5, 2013
    I've seen a lot of reviewers on Youtube who gave this game 6-7. But i have played the game with a friend and it's amazing, the co-op is great (like always), the masks and gear customizations are great, but i feel like it needed more weapon customization, im not saying it's bad but it needs more. The story is not that good, Alpha and Bravo are great in my opinion and they make pretty funnyI've seen a lot of reviewers on Youtube who gave this game 6-7. But i have played the game with a friend and it's amazing, the co-op is great (like always), the masks and gear customizations are great, but i feel like it needed more weapon customization, im not saying it's bad but it needs more. The story is not that good, Alpha and Bravo are great in my opinion and they make pretty funny jokes. Army of Two The Devil's Cartel is amazing and it's a most buy game That's why i gave it an 8 Expand
  26. Jun 3, 2013
    I'm not sure why this series gets a bad rap. When played with a friend, they're a blast. This entry is the best in the series, as it features amazing destruction/dismemberment effects and a deep customization system. Yeah, the story isn't innovative and there's plenty of juvenile dialogue (though not as much as the first), but it's definitely worth playing once or twice.
  27. Jul 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll start by saying that I like this game. Army of Two was one of my first Xbox 360 games, and I took a liking to the series.

Although some of the co-op aspects have been dropped, co-op still remains a focus. It is a shame that weapon swapping, fist-bumping, headbutting and playing rock, paper, scissors don't feature in The Devil's Cartel, but more of a shame is that the AI command system has been stripped down. However, even when playing solo, your AI partner will be reasonably competent, and will probably go down a lot less than you do.

Being a cover-based, third-person shooter, you would expect a good cover system... well you'll be a little disappointed. The marker with which you select your next cover can be inconsistent, and the movement itself can be somewhat stubborn, but once you've got the hang of it, you should be fine.

The combat can get a little chaotic, especially when you find yourself in the wrong place, with little cover, and there are cartel thugs shooting at you from all sides, but if you can find good cover, the fight should be rather easy. Just make sure that the cover isn't destructible. As for the enemies you'll face, they'll mostly be tattooed cartel thugs who you can kill with a quick burst from an assault rifle. But, don't be fooled by how easily they go down; you'll be fighting what will, at times, feel like endless numbers, and by the time you've finished the game, you've probably killed a fair portion of the population.

Weapon customization returns, but in a much more sane state than in The 40th Day. You have access to a good range of weapons, with plentiful upgrades available. Weapons are also fairly non-linear, and there is no "best" upgrade or weapon, as such, although you will find some weapons or upgrades to be rather useless.

New to the series is character customization, involving an in-game mask creator, allowing you to save up to 8 custom masks (which just isn't enough), a fair choice of tattoos for your character, and a range of "tactical gear", essentially, outfits. This gives the playable characters a more personal feel, as their personalities are somewhat lacking (although they do improve over the course of the story).

And that brings me to the story. I would describe it as an all-action, blockbuster, revenge for revenge story, where almost everybody dies. Pretty much every ally or team-mate you come across... yeah, they die. Its not a great story, but a few (sometimes very predictable) twists keep things on the interesting side, and it is certainly left open for another game.

I enjoyed The Devil's Cartel, but the story is secondary to the high-octane, explosive action, and the co-op has been a somewhat simplified, but as a sequel to The 40th Day, it shows some aspects of progress. I hope that in the future, EA will combine the best aspects of all three games, to date, to create a truly spectacular Army of Two game.
  28. Aug 27, 2013
    Liked this Army of Two game better than the previous two games. Sure Alpha and Bravo are not as likable as Salem and Rios but the Story was better and the controls didn't feel as stiff.
  29. Jul 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. +In summary a great game, I actually liked the changes both of game play style and new lead Characters (Alpha/Bravo), the story was pretty decent too, all be it over a 5 year arc, which was hard to grasp at 1st.
    -What blew me away was the Salem character looking totally different from the 1st two games. While Rios just looks older. Very Strange. Also the plot twist (Spoiler Alert)....Salem going bad.
  30. Dec 5, 2014
    the three games army of two the've enjoyed, you can play alone or with friends, really loved it, and I want to play the next game, ea has great games, hope to see him prone on ea access with dead space
  31. Apr 21, 2015
    Great, great game and one which brings back pure co - op. I noticed how they've really gone into detail with this game. I'm talking about the cover system, all the gun modifications and more. Can be a bit gory though.
  32. May 4, 2015
    This game is a fun experience but could have been so much more! I really enjoy the weapon customization, masks, and outfit that you can unlock and upgrade.

The problem with the game is the little glitches that seem to happen at random like disappearing bodies after going to the armory. Another huge waste of time is the online element. It is awesome to buddy up in this game, but as usual EA has horrid match making. My final complaint is having to watch the same cut scene time after time while in an co-op game unless the party host (player 1) presses the select button to skip. More people hate this game because of that one sloppy misstep in the game play.

With a few fixes this game could have been a bit more solid, but it deserves a higher score than the 6.2 rating currently on metacritic.... and that is why I ranked it an 8.
  33. Jul 29, 2015
    If you're playing this game with a friend or offline with split-screen, it's some of the most fun you'll have. I still can't possibly understand why this game received a 4 or 5 with critics, it's so much more than that. Sure, the story you wouldn't give two hoots about, but it's the action and gameplay that will really sell the game. Customizing you gun to meet your preferences, while itIf you're playing this game with a friend or offline with split-screen, it's some of the most fun you'll have. I still can't possibly understand why this game received a 4 or 5 with critics, it's so much more than that. Sure, the story you wouldn't give two hoots about, but it's the action and gameplay that will really sell the game. Customizing you gun to meet your preferences, while it could be so much more, is still incredibly addicting. For this one, don' t trust the big name critics who only play about an hour or two and call it a day. Go into it with the thought of it being a cheesy B-movie, and have a little fun with a friend. Expand
  34. Apr 3, 2013

1. Jun 9, 2013
    In the end, Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel is a boring, meatheaded slog through about ten or so hours of predictable situations and sub par dialogue, and if someone told me that the development team had simply been handed a bit of cardboard with the words "sink this series" emblazoned across it as a design document, I'd believe it without hesitation.
  2. May 20, 2013
    As an entry into a series that has failed to realise its potential, this is safe and dare we say it, also a bit boring. [Issue#135, p.106]
  3. May 13, 2013
    A prime example of a gamified action film from the eighties. The story is only an excuse for bloodshed and the game is far from unconventional. Yes, I've seen this before at least dozens of times, but then again, there's always room for some good old-fashioned pointless violence. [May 2013]