7.6

1. Sep 27, 2013
    For the record, Ascend is nothing like Mafia wars or Farmville. It resembles more DarkSouls than anything else. I love the fact that this game is free and I can pay for what I want when I want. No reason not to download Ascend and at least try it. The game itself is more of an action/RPG with some cool multiplayer light components that allows you to help or curse other players. You can Ascend your Caos and have them control territories which brings in cash for you. You can collect a ton of armor and items all while leveling up your Caos. Intereacting with other players is really cool, and yet hard to describe, you gotta play to see it. Anyways, well worth the free download if anything just to check out. Best F2P game easy on XBOX Live. Looking forward seeing how Microsoft evolves this game over time. Expand
  2. Sep 26, 2013
    If you like facebook's Mafia Wars, Farmville, etc., then you might like this. Me? I stay far away from games like these that are constantly enticing you to spend real money for leveling up and upgraded equipment.
  3. Sep 26, 2013
    I've been playing this game for a couple of hours now and I am genuinely enjoying myself.

Although others have said that the game requires in game purchases in order to have fun, for me this has not been a problem. The currency system works similar to that of Darksiders, when you kill an enemy, they drop souls which can then be used to purchase new armour, spell upgrades and more.
    Accumulating money in this game is not very difficult, by simply following the narrative of the game I gained around 4000 souls within a few minutes. Moreover, at the very beginning of the game, you are given 3000 souls to customize your character with.

As for player interactivity, the option is there on whether you want to interact with other players (either positively or negatively) but it is never intrusive upon your own gaming experience. Sometimes, I would just be wandering around minding my own business, when a gift would fall from the heavens, gifted to me by another player. Events like this are what, for me, kept the incentive to keep playing fresh in my mind.

Ascend: Hand of Kul has the traditional sort of RPG elements to it which any fan of the genre should be able to pick up quickly. One of the features that got me excited however, was the effects that your actions had on the overall game. As you advance in the game, all of your achievements will go towards your patron whom you choose at the start of the game. In short, this means that your actions will help make your chosen patron advance above the others.

Excluding a few minor bug issues with character animation and enemy behaviour, this game is remarkably clean in terms of bugs. The few I encountered in my 4 hour long play-through were very minor and rectified themselves quickly.

To summarise, this game is definitely worth picking up, especially since it won't cost you any money. It's interesting narrative and customization will ensure that you strive to keep adding to your list of achievements and guide your team to total domination.
  4. Sep 26, 2013
    It's a good game not amazing but very good this is a old school style in a way something I miss in games now days and its not like most think sure you can buy more souls and some say you need them to just have fun but that's wrong keep playing take your time and build the souls up I do game reviews on my channel and I give it a 8/10 very good I mean you play as a giant sent by the gods to kill titans so its a good story if you ask me but that's up to others to decide 2 so their you go but rate my comment tell me I it's helpful or not
    But remember guys for a free game it's very old what can you lose thx guys see y'all later
  5. Sep 25, 2013
    Perfect game, rpg worthy of success! actions of the characters in the fight is very realistic, some minor bugs and errors but it is just the beginning! and is not "mandatory" pay to take advantage! RECOMMENDED
  6. Oct 10, 2013
    This game may be the worst game on Xbox Live! Filled with bugs and Disconnection that make Happy Wars look like GTA5! They should change the name from Hand of Kul to Hand in your pockets! Microtransactions are worthless when you buy them and use them only for the timer to run out while you Disconnect 100 times trying to use them. And plz STAY AWAY FROM ANY GAME CREATED BY SIGNAL STUDIOS! They are without a doubt the laziest company to ever create games! They have time to make fake accounts on here rating the game a 10..*smh* but no time to fix the problems.A Lazy game company that gives lip service to its actual fans on facebook but all they do is make matters alot worse! Delete and support another game company that actually cares about its fans. They truely earned that zero.. Expand
  7. Feb 14, 2014
    This game is a waste of time and effort! Free online games are no excuse for bad physics, bland graphics and scheming transactions. Signal Studio will do better to stick at their Toy Soldier formula instead of making a game worse than Spartacus online!
  8. Feb 16, 2014
    The fact that this game has any 10 point rating is so absurd it's almost offensive. You couldn't have played much of the game and still thought it deserved that. Much of Kul feels like it was pilfered from Black and White, just more on the side of if you actually controlled your avatar and had none of the God powers. The game is pay to win through and through, you will never accrue enough souls (in game currency) to fully upgrade weapons and armor, and pumping around 15 in will get you decent enough gear you can manage lower levels with comfort and enjoyment but anything past hour 4-5 is absurd, your shrines will come under regular attack from other people level 17+ when you're barely level 11, they will when you are level 15 you will undoubtedly be invaded or assaulted by a lv 5-7 that's sporting fully upgraded weapons and spells and will kick the ish out of you.
    The combat system is so poorly designed you that pvp reduced itself to nothing but a sloppy tango of uncoordinated dashing mixed with bouts of standing there and slugging each other before the one with the lowest life tries desperately to dash off and use some spells.

The entire experience falls apart very quickly unless you're willing to sink 100$'s in real cash into the game. This is the issue I constantly find with f2p models, they seem great on the outside, but once you start really looking at them, in order to gain full access to the mediocre content supplied you have spend WELL over what you would pay for a AAA game. Kul here is no exception.
  9. Mar 6, 2014
    Worst. Game. Ever. Zero isn't a low enough score for this putrid wreck. This is yet another example of M$' idea of a "free" game. Yep, just like Shoot Many Robots, you are underpowered unless you spend hundreds of dollars on microtransactions. $75 for 750,000 souls? Lol. That might get you enough goodies to last a lever or two, then you're right back to being underpowered. Nut up? Give us $75 every day forever? Sounds great! Typical MS greed.

As for the gameplay, the graphics are gawd-awful. PS2 games looked far better than this garbage. "But is it fun?" you might ask. Well, if you think fighting the same boring and cheap enemies over and over and over and over again with the same boring weapons in the same boring locations is fun, then this is your game! Wheeeee!!! Honestly, the only game that's been released recently that's anywhere near this bad is Spartacus, which is also "free" on Xbox.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this vomitous trash at all costs. Save the $35,000 you'd have to spend on this and other MS "free" junk to make it remotely near fun and buy yourself 1,000 years of PS+ where you get real games like Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, and other triple A titles that don't ask you for anything in order to enjoy the already great game.
  10. Sep 29, 2013
    I rate this game as "Excellent", for the price point you can't go wrong. As RPG's go, I think the game has better value than Defiance had, and it's $50 dollars less (FREE).
  11. Oct 11, 2013
    The is a free-to-play mmo that is a pay-to-win game. You'll have a number of pvp fights in the game between yourself and members of other factions. Because all equipment is purchased with souls, anyone who puts money into the game has a very large advantage. All greater gear is only available through a high level of currency that must be purchased as that level cannot be earned by playing.
    Also, all gear needs souls (currency) to repair, or you will have no equipment at all. Some players end up not having enough souls to buy new gear or repair their own, and then they are forced to either spend real money or not play. The company refused to reset any accounts.
    Don't bother playing the game, rather show the pay-to-win model that we aren't interested in crap anymore.
  12. Oct 8, 2013
    I would give this 10/10 but as we all know, no game is perfect and there are afue things missing from Ascend: Hand of Kul but who cares? Its FREE, in my opinion its the best free game on XBL and one of the best (if not the best) free game I've ever played, anyone who thinks this is like those stupid facebook games is a fool, as someone already stated it is much more similar to Dark Souls than anything, not the point, this game is more than worth the download and it does not force you to spend money on it, I've not spent a single penny on this game and I'm having no difficulty in it, armor durability problem? then save up souls and upgrade it, weapon problem? upgrade or get a better weapon by dung running, there are so many simple solutions to the in game problems, "Shield" enemies? Heavy attack then Normal attack then Heavy attack again, simple. Do not be put off by what others think, especially since this game IS FREE!! Download and try it for yourself, if you like it then cool, if not then it didn't cost you anything so why care?

Anyways thank you for reading this (if you do) and take it easy all.
  13. Sep 29, 2013
    This game is surprisingly good in many ways. The combat is fun, and the RPG elements are implemented well. The graphics are pretty and run very smooth, i also like the look and functionality of the menus. You can unlock the good gear without paying for it, but it takes a long time. I bought a point pack to support the developer, because I'm enjoying their game.
  14. Sep 26, 2013
    To the people who are saying its a bad game and comparing it to FarmVille and other Facebook games, if you spent more time than 5 minutes and actually played the game you just downloaded you would know that there are more ways to get the in game currency (souls). I was only able to play this game for about 30 minutes before I had to leave to work but I had a lot of fun playing it while I was playing it and plan on continuing when I get back home. Expand
  15. May 22, 2014
    This is probably one of the worst games i have played in my life. the free to play model is incredibly bad. The game is huge pay to win game. The gameplay is bad, I really do not know how anyone can give this game a positive score. They really should add a score of -10 for games like this.
  16. Oct 2, 2013
    Easily one of the BEST F2P titles on any console to date! If your an action RPG fan, do not skip this title.

This game packs a lot of punch for a f2p title. This game has all the addictiveness of your typical F2P game (i.e. unlocks, progression, multiplayer etc.) but plays out like a payed for title. You get a hefty single player world that intertwines with a pvp (and soon enough,
    co-op) multiplayer world. Now when I say "intertwined", think Dark Souls. Never played it? Well, basically every player has two copies of the world they play in. One copy is their own world (like a local world) and the other copy is a world connected with other players. So as you are adventuring and questing, you will see silhouettes of other online players. You can interact with them by sending them blessings or curses. But I am getting ahead of myself...

You play as a Caos warrior (created by you) sent on a mission by one of three gods. You get to choose between the Goddess of Darkness, the God of Light, or Lord of the Void. Each god has different strengths and weaknesses as well as magical powers. By choosing a god you are also committing to which online faction you will fight for. This is where the multiplayer portion comes into play. Throughout your adventure, you will capture shrines and small villages in the name of your god. As you do this, you increase the influence of your god within your local game and your online game simultaneously. The object of the game is to complete your main story quests while fighting for territory control under the god of your choosing. As you level up your caos warrior, you can decide to "ascend" him into the crusade (or faction war) permanently. It's like sending your character on a NPC mission where they fight for territory and plunder under your name. However, once you commit your caos warrior to the crusade, you can not use him again. You then make a new god from scratch.

So how does the game feel? F****** awesome! These are the tightest controls I have ever played with. Your caos warrior moves and attacks like a true god of destruction would...without mercy. The controls are so responsive, you will literally have nothing to blame your death on except your poor gaming skills. One other thing...there is no difficulty setting. The game will get very hard once your about 15 levels in. So choose your gear and spells wisely. Also, it is not wise to swing widely and take lots of damage. You will have to repair your equipment quite often which can become expensive.

Which brings me to my next point...the currency system. Now, this is always a hot topic for any F2P game. It's never an easy thing pleasing fans by keeping your game "free" but also making money and keeping everyone happy. But personally, Ascend does a better job then most F2P titles do. There is one currency in the game, souls. There is no "premium" currency in this game. You can earn all your souls without ever spending a dime. By not having a premium currency you are essentially keeping everyone in the same ball park. technically a person could buy expensive soul packs and buy really good gear. But there are equally as good items scattered around the world and in dungeons ready for you to find. I personally bought a bronze level soul pack for $5 (well worth it) which got me 25,000 souls. More than enough to equip my warrior with some really good starting gear. While I was playing, one of my zones was invaded by another player. He was 3 levels higher than me but had really crappy gear. I ended up getting my head stomped in several times by this player. Eventually I had to upgrade my gear and level up some more before I beat him. My point is just because a player buys his gear with real cash does not make him better. If you find yourself getting beat quite often, try beating one of the many randomly generated dungeons in the game and get better loot. Yes you will have to grind away a bit but that's why we play action RPG's in the first place.

So why not give this game a shot? It's an action RPG, it has multiplayer, character progression, unlocks, quests, and best of all, it's free. You have nothing to lose. The developer has lots planned for this game so I think it is worth your time.
  17. Sep 29, 2013
    This could've gotten a much higher score if Microsoft didn't flood the game with micro transactions... It takes hours of grinding to get good stuff, which makes it more of a chore to play. It's fine if you like the free-to-play formula, but keep that crap off Xbox... Micro transactions should be left for smart phone games. Other than that, the game is pretty fun.
  18. Oct 14, 2013
    This is easily the best f2p game on XBL. It's a well constructed RPG with a decently unique world rich with lore. It has solid combat and par-for-the-course loot.

Where this game really shines, though, is it's incredibly interesting multiplayer components. They're somewhat difficult to explain, but you can interact with other players in very interesting, Dark Souls-esque ways. It almost
    feels like an MMO.

A few issues with the game are that, while functional, the combat can be a little dull; the game makes a habit out of small, immersion fracturing glitches; and as always is the case with f2p games, the micro-transactions can be a little annoying, even If they are understandable. None of this takes away from the experience too much though, and it definitely is a game worth your time.
  19. Sep 29, 2013
    For a free game it feels surprisingly polished. Downloaded with no expectations and was glad that I did. A Dark Souls feel to it, medium to low difficulty, and enough loot to keep most satisfied for a bit at least. The multiplayer interaction is fun too. Note that this game is absolutely nothing like Farmville and does not require you to purchase in game currency, they just have the option available. I personally have not spent a dime in game and am enjoying thoroughly. Expand
  20. May 21, 2014
    Do not waste your time on this pay to win game! It is a joke. The gameplay, how they want to scam you for your money, everything. It is a complete and total waste of time and money.
  21. May 23, 2014
    if you like facebook games where they constantly want to scam money from people then this game is for you. it is a pay to win incredibly bad game. it is just imposible to give this game a good score.
    this is a PAY TO WIN game that does not deserve to exist at all. worst game ever.
  22. May 23, 2014
    Worst. Game. Ever. Zero isn't a low enough score You are underpowered unless you spend hundreds of dollars on microtransactions It's not free, it's a cash cow in disguise. Free to get in the door, pay if you want to actually play. Don't bother playing the game This game is a waste of time and effort! Free online games are no excuse for bad physics, bland graphics and scheming transactions

Filled with bugs and Disconnection

The game is pay to win through and through, you will never accrue enough souls.
  23. Sep 28, 2013
    Got this game yesterday, with no expectations whatsoever... I was pleasantly surprised to find that this is one of the best free to play games I've gotten my hands on. Devs worked quickly to fix the reported connection issues, which they have succeeded in fixing. This game features an interesting system of gaining new spells and abilities. Also it is possible to get anything in this game without dishing out real money. Find a good spot to grind and you can gain souls quickly. The dynamic between players is also interesting, some times you'll find a friend in the bottom of a dungeon and other times you'll find an opportunist who will help himself by sending his monsters your way.
    Oh and stomping on the tiny people for experience is probably my favorite part.
  24. Sep 29, 2013
    Ascend: Hand of Kul is the MMORPG I've been waiting for in many ways. As long as you have an active XBL Gold account, it's free, which is what I've wanted for so, so long. You don't need to spend real world money unless you want to, the game has a unique feature with "ascension", and you have a great degree of character customization. I feel like it lacks some things, such as female Caos models and more customization of weapons and armor. I've come across some bugs (random jumping) and I feel some enemies are unnecessary (the "shield" enemy, for one, can definitely go. Already died too many times from them in dungeons.). I also feel that if you've killed a "minor boss" (the ogres, for example) in one area, you shouldn't encounter them again if revisiting an area; rather, repopulate the area with more common enemies. I also feel like armor depletes too quickly and that, in order to get relief from running around in your loincloth, you have to buy souls to repair it (already had to once). Additionally, many encounters with common enemies leave me swarmed and I feel that the number of them must be reduced so players aren't overwhelmed.

Overall, I'm enjoying Ascend: HoK. I hope the devs release more content soon and I can't wait to get immersed in more lore and adventures!
  25. Sep 29, 2013
    This game is fun but every 10 min it loses connection and needs to take 2 minutes to connect.. so u spend a long time looking at menus.. please fix. I do like the combat.. feels good. However you end up having to mash a bit.
  26. Sep 27, 2013
    I really like the game, but it is really hard to enjoy it when every 10 min. or so you get disconnected from the service. Really annoying when in the middle of defending a shrine and you get disconnected, causing you to lose the shrine and have to fight for it back
  27. May 10, 2014
    I played as the Void class, which had ice magic. Combat was incredibly tedious, and melee combat for my class with the weapons I had access to was unfeasible except against the weakest opponents. I have a very real suspicion that the PvP portions of the game were not PvP at all, but fights against computer controlled characters that just happened to be player builds. Despite this, these fights were fun, and provided nice diversions from the repetitiveness of the normal fights. The game is free, and if you have a couple of hours to burn, it can be fun, but it definitely does not have a long life. I can't remember a game I've played that was as boring as this one. Expand
  28. May 24, 2014
    PAY TO WIN!. Sad thing is that so many people lie about it. just look at all the positive scores. No one of them actually likes this game. But money talks. Worst game ever. Total, and i mean total waste of time. They should pay people to play this "game". it is not a game at all, it is just a way to milk money from people. Horrible game.
  29. Oct 7, 2013
    This was the free-to-play title I was most anticipating on the 360. In some ways, it does not let down; in some ways it kind of does. You take control of a Caos warrior and choose to worship one of 3 gods (Light, Dark and Void), each of who grants different powers, abilities, etc. As you play the game, you control territory for your god, acquire new armor and weapons, and level up your warrior. Racking up combos increases your Soul multiplier, whic increases the amount of Souls you can acquire. When you get to a certain level, you can "ascend" your character, allowing them to invade territory of other pllayers' worlds while also granting permanent upgrades for future warriors. You can also grant blessings and curses towards other players (provided that they're within your vicinity). While this game has some interesting ideas, it's not without its flaws. Being as it's a free-to-play title like Happy Wars or World Series of Poker: Full House Pro, it takes a long time to load up, and there are some connection problems to deal with. Combat is also not to my liking. The lack of an evade or a lock-on feature makes combat against large groups of enemies and building up your multiplier very difficult. Another thing I dislike is how quickly your equipment can degrade. With the Souls (the game's currency) you grind from enemies (which becomes a chore), that will barely be enough to repair your equipment, let alone buy new gear. To make combat even harder, enemy attacks almost always knock you back, leaving you vulnerable to attack. And of course, free-to-play games are dreaded by microtransactions, and this game is no exception. As mentioned before, the Souls you grind normally are barely enough to repair damaged equipment, let alone buy new gear. So if you want high-end gear, you pretty much HAVE to fork over real-world money to get it. This game has potential, but it needs a lot of work if it's going to stand up to better paid RPGs like Diablo III and Dark Souls. Expand
  30. Jan 10, 2014
    I stopped playing this game because i ascend my character and i did not mean to and there is no way to delete the save data,the idiots did not know how to make save data and you can't delete it and can't start over,i will stop playing this game until they put the option to delete you're character and start new game
  31. Oct 2, 2013
    This in not a great game but not the worst I've played. The Ascension leveling it a cool feature but having to purchase pedestals every time you ascend if you want to keep your armor an weapons you have just spent a lot of souls and time upgrading is beyond frustrating. The amount of souls gained in game either from killing enemies or the almost pathetic amount gained from selling weapons and armor is just enough to repair your equipment..... sometimes but that's about it. If you want a good weapon or armor you'll have to shell out the cash. Then it's not enough to buy the item on the avg a mid range item will costs 100K to 120k souls each to upgrade fully. The developers have made no attempt to hide the fact that they want you to spend a huge amount of money on your character. There are very few aspects of the game that don't cost souls and not just a few souls but a lot of souls. There are good aspects to the game stomping and throwing humans was fun for a min, Having the humans climb on you adding some protection and extra attacks to enemies is cool but that's about it. RPGs are my favorite games and I was looking forward to playing this one, but I have to say with the glitchy game play the slap to the face every time you have to spend thousands of souls just to repair your equipment let alone level up just to spend thousands more to keep it when you ascend detracts from what could have been a fairly fun game. This game has no replay value in my opinion and gets old and repetitive way to fast. Expand
  32. Jan 21, 2014
    i have a couple big problems with it besides some minor glitches the difficulty spikes are very high especially when you fight your first ogre it threw the entire session i was playing off the witch things are much harder than are necessary especially in large groups they are horrid the prices need to go down or souls go up per kill so i dont feel pressured to go and spend 80 bucks i say this only because i have found myself high leveled and no armor no weapons no money and in a large fight and it sucks just dumb down the difficulty this is my fifteenth RPG and i dont want it to leave a bad taste in my mouth i want to continue but dont want it to be a chore Expand
  33. May 25, 2014
    PAY TO WIN! Lol no one with even a half of a brain could give this game a score of 10. Game is atrocious. Really, really bad game. but hay with money you will get positive scores ( or with dumb kids that have no clue about nothing )
  34. May 21, 2014
    An OK game, the whole "giant" thing is quite new, there's quite a lot of smashing things like huts and pillars, etc. The gameplay seems to be pretty repetitive (mashing LMB, occasionally RMB or space). Swords and axes are fast, two handed maces deal AOE damage.

My fingers started to hurt really quick from all the button mashing. It seems that the game is very heavily focused on grinding
    for gear, which... comes almost broken when you find it. This is the first time in an RPG where finding loot feels more frustrating than fun (cause I have to repair EVERY item I find).

Somehow with 3 factions I've expected PVP, but it's not in the current release (marked as BETA). Currently factions seem really imbalanced, with dark having almost twice as many players/achievements as either of the other factions.

Overall, when compared to other P2W games, I would prefer to spend my money on other games, and not this one, even though the style of this game seems promising.
  35. Nov 8, 2013
    I hate "pay to win" games. And this can definitely be a pay to win game. So why did I rate it a 9?

Because you don't have to pay to win. It truly can be played as an entirely free game, though you definitely need a bit more patience to play it that way.

The other reason I rated it a 9 is that the game is a really well done game. The graphics are good, the concepts are creative,
    the entire thing has good production values. You can tell that a lot of work was put into this game. And it's fun. Maybe not the most fun to be had on the Xbox, but definitely the most fun to be had for free. Expand
  36. Dec 26, 2013
    This game started off really fun, but the whole "Ascending" thing seems REALLY pointless and not needed in the game. If that wasn't there, I'd probably have more fun and plus its a F2P soo micro-transactions.
  37. Oct 1, 2013
    I think this game has a lot of potential, but the game play is just kind of boring. It lacks a dodge mechanic outside of the dash, which sort of ruins the appeal of a tell and reflex based combat system. In fights with other ascended champions, if they are charging up a guard breaking power attack you have no chance to really dodge it since you cannot dash backwards. The fact that your guard also guards you from all normal attacks and spells from all directions also makes it pretty boring and bland. The lack of meaningful or actually useful combos also makes combat pretty bland. The spells are nice and the idea of affecting other players with spells across worlds is pretty cool, but I would have gladly sacrificed that for a target lock mechanic. Without a target lock, combat can get pretty confusing as the camera follows you around, especially with boss fights. It is basically impossible to gauge distance well enough in order to get a boss to start its attack animation and then get back in fast enough to land your attacks, so it just ends up the best way is to slowly ping it to death with your slow recharging spells.

Combat basically is either grinding against mobs that are easy to rack up a big combo and hence currency modifier, or mobs that you can rack up a big modifier, but take a huge amount of time and effort to do so, and so you do not and just try to kill them as fast as possible. Or boss fights where you ping it to death while dashing the whole time or you can try to get in and hit it, but without a dodge or target lock mechanic, even if you see its almost instagib unblockable attack coming you probably cannot get out of the way fast enough to avoid it.

It also suffers from pay to win syndrome, not as bad as some games, but it definitely has that problem. The game revolves around leveling up a champion, then sacrificing it and starting over again from scratch, but with an extra bonus that is really pretty meaningless unless you are willing to sink hundreds or thousands of hours into a pretty mediocre experience. Your equipment takes damage constantly and in my experience you can never really afford to buy anything much better than what you have since you find new and slightly better equipment regularly and are constantly having to repair it so that you can actually progress. Buying spell upgrades and all that is feasible up to a certain point, but I never was able to accrue more than 20,000 of the in game currency without feeling like I needed to spend most of it in order to stay above the mobs. With spells and equipment costing 50,000 or more to buy and 10,000+ to upgrade it certainly seems like you need to spend actual dollars in order to reach the highest power levels.

Overall, for a free game it is not bad. But I do not think it is something worth spending money on, since it is all pay to win and your money does not unlock any really new experiences any earlier, since there are no new experiences in this game, just power creep.
  38. Nov 15, 2013
    This game is Microtransaction hell, once you "Ascend" and start from the beginning, it is near impossible to get to the powerful warrior you once were without spending a couple dollars for "Souls". That aside the rest of the game is pretty good, not amazing, but good. But i feel the Microtransactions hold this game back.
  39. Nov 17, 2013
    For being a game developed from an incredibly small team, this game is pretty decent. The Credits show a very small list of people from Signal Studios which shows the amount of work these guys must have put in on this game. The art looks pretty good, the gameplay is pretty good, there is a lot of system stuff thats in this game. Adversely, the combat camera is pretty I don't like being restricted to a downward angle when I fight, I want to see the whole play field. Soul farming is also reasonably cumbersome since your equipment tends to break really often. Expand
  40. Dec 1, 2013
    Awesome game to play for long hours! great idea. Keeps you into leveling up,create a monster wnd decide whether unwant to fight for light,dark, or emptyness, make others chanye by force. Or they force you to convert by way of force or intimidation. Its free!
  41. Apr 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok take what I said before, with my suggestions, but now add something else. Increase the rewards at the end of each floor of the endless dungeon by a lot... I don't wanna spend that time for 1,000 Souls(Plus gear I sell and stuff to around 3.5K) when I can make TRIPLE that in the same time. Increase it to like 4,000 or 5,000 Souls for the FIRST FLOOR, then 7,500 for the 2nd, 10,000 for the 3rd and so on. But ALSO LET US GET EXP and Souls from killing IN THE ENDLESS DUNGEON as well! It's boring to sit there JUST for Souls to get my God Armor(I've Ascended a total of 4 times already soon 5).

Also, let people actually go into different Faction's Server's to RAID their Altar's where people there can ACTUALLY FIGHT YOU in real-time like a REAL War should be fought, in real time.

Also, we should be able to make our own Clan's, starting at a MAX SIZE of 10, and costs Souls to increase to a MAX of 200. Also some of my friend's suggestions are letting people make their own World's/Servers and Dungeon's for others to fight and raid on, with us getting a SLIGHT AMOUNT of the Souls and EXP they collect. And they just gave me a new suggestion: Let us set our own amount of Souls as a reward for the Dungeon's when we make them as well AND what defends it at the end.

Also, add a Tournament Mode like the NUMBER ONE PERSON get's like 100,000 Soul's w/A new Gold Rarity weapon. Top 10 get 75,000 Soul's and some Legendary(Purple-named) weapon's. Top 50 get 50,000 Soul's with some Blue named weapon's, and Top 100 should get 25,000 Soul's.

Along with being able to set up Group-Raid's on Enemy Clan Fortresses and Bases. This would give SIGNIFICANT Faction/God control over the Crusade map's. Let the Fortresses and Bases have fortified defenses and protection with their own plauer's, and battle-installment's and that you get more EXP and Souls for it, the stronger the maker of the Base and/or Fortress is, along with how many times they ascended, how many people were protecting it, and what was protecting it tells how much EXP and Souls rewards it gives. Like:

Every level higher for the maker of the Fortress and/or Base give's +250 more Souls for winning, for every Ascention +1,000 Soul's. Along with another +100 EXP for each level and +500 for each Ascention.

Every level higher of a Player defending add's +500 Soul's and +100 EXP when winning, PLUS the Souls and EXP you ALREADY get from them. Same for their Automated(A.I./Computer-Controlled) defenses.
  42. Dec 13, 2013
    Let me start off by saying that I dislike this game. The gameplay was decent, the darkness was cool and everything seemed ok. That was up until I noticed that if you want to get ahead or be the best you have to pay actual money to get the best stuff. I tried again and again to compete with peoples scores who were paying real money and it was sadly incomparable. I deleted it from my hard drive never to play again. It was fun but once you find out you got to pay cash to get ahead the fun goes right down the drain, along with this games score from me. A smelly 5. Expand
  43. Jan 25, 2014
    game is awsome to start of with. you will love it for a free game...but! dont make the mistake of buying souls. because at the start buying souls will make the game don. but it gets to the point that you have to pay more and more to continue the game. have had to stop it now. regret getting into it. overall great game but its a mug off
  44. Feb 6, 2014
    I've been playing mmorpg's and similar for many years now and for once I think that i can see progress within this certain genre. This game gives you a free choice on which side to pick rather than be the "hero" for a change, on top of this considering the fact it was free it is a very good game which could lead to further, more expansive games like this.
  45. Feb 23, 2014
    I don't know about this game, I like that you can kill monster's but I don't like (like other people say) you don't earn that many souls and it is hard to keep your equipment at full and every time I beat an apex (or whatever) I'm about to get the prize and freeze I have to f*** leave the game and return. I like that it's free but I don't know about playing it that much. and 1 more rant I don't like having to fight someone after every little thing it's so annoying! Expand
  46. Apr 4, 2014
    Honestly, this game isn't too bad. The multiplayer ideas are occasionally frustrating because of trolls, yes, but can make for some interesting gameplay altogether. However, as I played through, and ascended a few characters, I stopped taking any joy from the game. There is no variance, and you can exploit many of the enemy's AI's easily to win against them. Overall, it's good game to play every once in a while, but not a game to play for long period of time. Expand
  47. May 26, 2014
    Another PAY / GRIND to win game game but this one is even worse then most other free to play game. you are at a huge disadvantage if you do not pay. the game is not free to play. it is free to GRIND! nothing fun in this game at all. complete waste of your time.
  48. Jun 23, 2014
    At first i was concerned about the soul system, not knowing there is a workshop at the sanctury where gear can be reapired free of charge!!

The fighting is a bit repetative, but good fun. the character customisation isnt that great, but no problem, lots of good gear to hide that face of yours in! The currency system of souls works fine for me, having 5 ascended champions that are
    collecting souls for me trough capturing altars and such. i get a sollig 5000 souls each hour or so, besides what i make doing dungeons and q. I have a steady stash of 200000 souls and great gear, while NOT SPENDING A DIME! Good game!! CU there!!! Free download trough steam!!!! Expand

Distinctly average, and aside from a few interesting online elements there's little to keep you coming back for more after your first few hours of gameplay. [Issue#104, p.84]
  2. Although this simple brawler has some intriguing multiplayer ideas, the solo game's repetitive and the Crusade metagame is hard to invest in. [Dec 2013, p.87]
  3. Oct 22, 2013
    Ascend: Hand of Kul convinces with an immediate gameplay and some very interesting features, even if not always implemented properly.