8.8

1. Apr 24, 2011
    I enjoyed the first game in the series, and I enjoyed most of this one. But about two thirds in I just wanted it to end, it became a chore. Perhaps this was because I didn't really sympathise with Ezio but the missions seemed to me a wasted opportunity. They crafted this beautifully, intrinsically detailed world with varied locations but the gameplay, while interesting at first with Da Vinci's inventions, became tedious and the ending was a complete mystery to me, especially with the arduous task of collecting some sort of video sequence which seemed to have nothing to do with the game. I got 30 hours out of this game, and the first 20 or so were enjoyable with improvements over the first game in many areas, but I preferred the setting of the other game. 2/5. Expand
  2. Oct 28, 2010
    Honestly, it's the worst game I have ever played. The difficulty level is way too high and even e of the first missions, "Sibling Rivalry" the difficulty is to great for someone not familiar with the series or these type games. An epic failure.
  3. Jun 8, 2013
    Despite eventually completing the original Assassins Creed game I did find it a difficult game to enjoy. Having heard that this sequel was an improvement however I decided to pick it up having spotted it in the bargain bin of my local video game store. The ability to fast travel and more variety in the missions are certainly welcome additions but many of the same issues, such as boring sidequests and the overall slow pace, meant that yet again I just couldn’t find any real enjoyment in the game. Expand
  4. Jul 26, 2011
    The game is great, praise the graphics, but not much the gameplay. Although their are new assassin's moves you can do, it's really harder to keep up from dying and desychronizing.

Ezio Auditore ain't much of a character. Altair is way better because gamers loves a character more mysterious and ambush predator like. Ezio is more of a kid, clumsy, unwitting and immature.
  5. Aug 6, 2011
    Where to start with this piece of **** The horrible graphics, the horrible controls, the horrible AI, the horrible fighting, or the texture popping?

I guess the controls. This game has horrible controls. If you like going faster than 2 miles an hour, prepare to have your character jump 20 miles off a building for no reason. Prepare to have your character jump onto a wall for no reason.
    It's called a JUMP button, Ubisoft. Would have made this game decent. The graphics are absolute **** And what's worse, there's constant texture popping! You could stand still, and the textures at your feet would pop! The AI is horrible not allowing for a stealthy approach "This guy has no friends, he must be the assassin!" also, the AI has eyes on the back of their head. You could walk up to a guy as slow as possible, and he would start running away. Do not get this game. It is the worst game I have ever played. The mere sight of it makes me want to puke. Expand
  6. Sep 25, 2013
    I have already written a review of this game once, however, I ultimately decided that that review was just bad, so I've decided to write a brand new one. What do I have to say about this game? Well, it is just about the most overrated piece of crud that I have ever played. Many of my friends at school played this game, and they claimed that it was awesome. However, all I have to say about it is that they are wrong. Dead wrong. Not just about this game, but also the entire Assassin's Creed series. There is really nothing so awesome about this series at all. As for this game, in case you are wondering why this is overrated, well, let's start with the gameplay. The gameplay of this game could fuel pretty much any generic action open world game. The only thing that really sets it apart from the other games in this genre is its unique Renaissance setting. Admittedly, I do like this game's Renaissance setting. It is more unique than most other games in its genre. However, the unique setting does not save this game if you ask me. As I said, the gameplay is just way too generic. Not to mention, by this point, Batman Arkham Asylum was already out, and it really made this game look bad. Also, I may or may not be the only person who has had these problems, but I also noticed dozens of glitches in this game that could only be fixed through restarting my Xbox. I've played several games with bugs and glitches in them, however, those could usually be fixed in easier ways than restarting my console. For example, on the PC version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, if there was a glitch, I would not have to restart my PC, I would just have to restart the game. This doesn't take anywhere near as much time as restarting my Xbox, waiting for it to load, and then finally restarting the game. As for the story of this game, and the entire series, everyone keeps on telling me that it's awesome. It is not. Not by a long shot. For one, the interlocking stories set in the present and the past just make the game that much more confusing than it needs to be. Also, I'm stunned that I'm apparently the only person in the world who has realized this. The stories of these games just rip everything off. The story of Assassin's Creed II is pretty much just the Renaissance version of Batman. Some of Ezio's family members were murdered, and he rose from that to become a hero. That is exactly the same story as both Batman and Spider-Man. Their family members were also murdered, and they also rose from that to become a hero. Also, I don't see why everyone loves Ezio so much. I don't like him at all. He is pretty much just an Italian version of Spider-Man, who loves making out with women a little more. As for the story set in the present, all I can say is that it is just awful, and should just be removed from the series entirely. Not only does it make the plot more confusing, however, it is also a rip-off of the Matrix (one of the greatest Sci-Fi films ever made). It is all about the character Desmond Miles going into a computer program to gain the knowledge of his relatives, and save the world. The Matrix was pretty much the same scenario, with the main character Neo going into a computer program to save the world. As for the graphics, everyone keeps telling me that this series has quite possibly the greatest graphics ever. If you want my opinion on them, all I can say is that I don't see anything special. As a matter of fact, I'd say these graphics are good...for the original Xbox. This game's graphics were so outdated for their time. I can name at least five games right now that I believe had better graphics, and came out before Assassin's Creed II (Batman Arkham Asylum, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout 3, Grand Theft Auto IV, and Half-Life 2). So yeah, the graphics of this game are completely outdated. I am convinced that there is nothing, I repeat, nothing Assassin's Creed can do that no other action game can't do already. This game, no, this whole series is every bit as overrated as the entire Call of Duty franchise. The gameplay is generic, the story rips off just about everything, and the graphics are really outdated. If you are a true gamer like me, stay as far away from this game franchise as you possibly can. If you want a much better experience, buy Arkham Asylum or its sequel Arkham City. These two games have amazing gameplay, a non-cliched story, and beautiful graphics. They are definitely much better choices than any game in this series. Expand
  7. Aug 16, 2013
    Absolutely terrible in every way. The graphics look like they're from an original xbox and the controls are awkward and use difficult timing. Missions are repetitve and the game is slow throughout. The original assassin's creed was much more fun and engaging.

1. The first Assassin's Creed's charm was in the sumptuous graphics and straightforward action - that incredible climbing and free-running, and the visceral thrill of stapling evil people to the dirt with a wristblade. With AC2 the rest of the game has caught up with the brilliance of those central ideas to create a complete and coherent experience. We can think of plenty of words that could describe Assassin's Creed 2 - involving, exciting, cinematic - but there's only one word that sums it up beautifully. Killer. [Dec 2009, p.74]
  2. Assassin's Creed 2 is miles away form the first chapter. It's a whole new game, different in many aspects. The main quest is involving and nice to play, and the number of side mission and extra activities is impressive (and all of them are fun to play). The setting is peculiar and unique, and the panoramic views are sharp and, somehow, magic.
  3. Assassin's Creed II delivers a great story driven experience. Solving most of the problems of its predecessor, this accomplished sequel offers compelling action, beautiful environments and a great plethora of well written characters. A must have for every action-adventure fan with a taste for history, and one of the best games of this fall.