6.8

1. Apr 3, 2015
    This game gets a lot right, but also a lot wrong.

Firstly lets start with the good. The new setting of the American Civil War is great, and all the environments and areas you play in are excellent replications. The series needed a change in scenery, and its most welcome. The gameplay is good, and there are new mechanics we haven't seen in previous games. In terms of scope, this is
    This game gets a lot right, but also a lot wrong.

In terms of scope, this is the biggest and most ambitious AC yet. Huge environments, and each section in the game feels different to the one before. The repetition that plagued AC1 is well and truly gone.

In this title we finally get an end to the Desmond story arc. Which has been dragged on too long. The modern day levels are fun to play.

Now for the bad news.

The main character, Connor, is the most boring protagonist in the series so far. No personality, and the plot around him is OK but you never feel like you care about him. This is a shame considering Ezio was such a popular character.

The plot in general takes way too long. At times very boring. It takes you half the game before you actual make a proper Assassination. Just errand missions up till that point.

Enemy AI is average in this game, many times enemies run past you when in pursuit. Worst of the series so far.

Also I HATE the naval combat. I fail to understand why a Apache Indian is sailing around on a galley like a pirate. Annoying and not what I would expect from an AC game. The game is not 'Pirates Creed' so I don't understand why its included.

Overall i would say it is a good addition to the series, but not a vital one. Would recommend if you see it on sale!
  2. Dec 7, 2014
    Assassin's Creed III's poor combat mechanics are made up for by a game which gives us perhaps the first proper open world in an Assassin's Creed game. The story won't do much for you, neither will the weak characters in it. Multiple environments on land are there to be explored as well as the open water. The introduction of naval combat, hunting and a nifty little homestead make Assassin'sAssassin's Creed III's poor combat mechanics are made up for by a game which gives us perhaps the first proper open world in an Assassin's Creed game. The story won't do much for you, neither will the weak characters in it. Multiple environments on land are there to be explored as well as the open water. The introduction of naval combat, hunting and a nifty little homestead make Assassin's Creed III the first in the series to give us sufficient freedom. Expand
  3. Aug 23, 2014
    I have made another user review that overdid the hatred a bit, this is to fix this, Assassins Creed 3 is an acceptable game It made steps in the series, some right and some wrong, Some of the right things is that is established it's own framework from which the game formed, it gave us new mechanics and gameplay. But Connor is such a bland character in relation to Haythem, I would ofI have made another user review that overdid the hatred a bit, this is to fix this, Assassins Creed 3 is an acceptable game It made steps in the series, some right and some wrong, Some of the right things is that is established it's own framework from which the game formed, it gave us new mechanics and gameplay. But Connor is such a bland character in relation to Haythem, I would of prefered to play the whole game as haythem. Also does this time period really appeal to anyone Outside the UK or America, you can't get an Australian like me to care about the things that those to carried on with, it just doesn't tick, the crusades and the renaissance as appealing to everyone, especially since the majority of us aren't in Italy, it helps boost the fanbase, and I shouldn't need to mention th time it takes to properly escape the linear boundries. In conclusion It's an OK game but it doesn't appeal to everyone. Expand
  4. Aug 13, 2014
    AC III has problems. It's the ultimate example of AC's "everything and the kitchen sink" design philosphy where they decided to keep piling features in like it was a hoagie. It doesn't work, and results in a muddled experience. The story takes a more serious turn as we follow Connor, a man with a very black and white view of the world entering the morally gray colonial period. ConnorAC III has problems. It's the ultimate example of AC's "everything and the kitchen sink" design philosphy where they decided to keep piling features in like it was a hoagie. It doesn't work, and results in a muddled experience. The story takes a more serious turn as we follow Connor, a man with a very black and white view of the world entering the morally gray colonial period. Connor is a great character, earnest and sincere, who is not served well by the poor implementation of the time period. It's just a stiff, uninteresting mess all around. Multiplayer is once again its saving grace. Expand
  5. Jul 27, 2014
    Assassin Bug III. I think is not a bad game, it´s a really good game, and ok it´s too late to do something years ago. But the bugs kill the game experience, the part of the house it´s great, the documentation of the buildings are nosey, but when you are inside the story and soldiers disappear, the instructions aren´t clear or the target appears in the middle of nothing...
  6. Jun 27, 2014
    I am big fan of the saga, but it game I thought very weak, few hours of gameplay, worst story just graphic is crazy this very beautiful.
    The person is very weak too.
  7. Jun 18, 2014
    Assassin's Creed III. Before I reviewed this game I played Assassin's Creed II. Most people seemed to love that game, but for some reason, I didn't. I thought the game was just plain overrated, and was mediocre at best. It's a game that you should really try before you buy. Having played through the sequel now, I have to say that this game has improved upon its predecessor in most ofAssassin's Creed III. Before I reviewed this game I played Assassin's Creed II. Most people seemed to love that game, but for some reason, I didn't. I thought the game was just plain overrated, and was mediocre at best. It's a game that you should really try before you buy. Having played through the sequel now, I have to say that this game has improved upon its predecessor in most of its flaws. So, does this game present a nice rendition of the American Revolution, or was it the right move for this game not to written in the U.S. Constitution? Let's find out. The gameplay of this game is definitely better than Assassin's Creed II. However, that's not really saying much. The game is still little more than Grand Theft Auto set during the American Revolution. It provides quite a bit for an open world game, but is still nothing we haven't seen before. Of course, there are no cars to steal and drive, so you pretty much have to run everywhere. Running in this game can be fun, but it still isn't nearly as fun as stealing someone's car, and driving off. The open world is set in the cities of Boston and New York in the 1700s. There's a lot to enjoy in these cities. There are plenty of missions to undertake, a few mini games, and even some enemy bases to take. There's a lot to enjoy in these two cities, along with the wilderness surrounding them, but none of it will blow your socks off as none of it is anything we haven't seen before. The combat in this game is literally a copy and paste of the Batman Arkham series. It is an improvement over Assassin's Creed II's clunky combat, but it is still hard to excuse that it just stole this from Batman. It has many of the same beat'em up mechanics. The stealth is slightly different however. Despite this, the stealth in this game is actually worse than Arkham's. It can be hard to figure out when the perfect time to switch to stealth is, and when to beat people up. This can detract from the overall experience, and make it much less fun. Overall though, the gameplay of Assassin's Creed III is an improvement upon the second game, but is still nothing we haven't seen before. The graphics on the other hand, have had a huge improvement from the second Assassin's Creed. This time, they are actually great looking. In fact they are on par with many of the games released on the Xbox 360. It is not as good as Just Cause 2 or Grand Theft Auto IV, but it is still a beautiful looking game nonetheless. The characters and environments all look very good and rich with detail in this game. They may not be on par with some of its competitors, but they still look very good. As for the story, that's the only part of this game that has unfortunately seen no improvement over its predecessor. The story in this game is still absolutely terrible, just like the last game. The first thing I noticed after completing the story was how much of the game was a complete rip-off of Star Wars. Seriously, the main villain of this game is actually the main character's father, and his reveal is just terrible compared to Darth Vader's reveal to being Luke's father in Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back. Also there is a war within a war going on between the Assassin's and Templars while the Americans are fighting the British. This is basically the same thing as the Jedi fighting the Sith during the war between the Rebellion and the Empire. Also, the main character once again has everything taken from him, and it is almost exactly the same as Luke Skywalker this time. As for the storyline set in the present, all I can say is this: remove it. Just remove it from this game entirely. It is everyone's least favorite part of the story. It just makes the plot of this game more confusing than it should be, and it is still a Matrix rip-off. Plus, the ending is so terrible! I won't spoil it, but let's just say the main character has to make a choice, and you don't even get to make it for him! Overall, the story of this game is about as bad as a video game story can get. Overall, this game took several steps forward, but then it took several steps back. It is a decent game, but still not enough to take it out of a worth a rent status. It is better than ACII, but still not that great. I recommend this game to anyone who likes the American Revolution. Everyone else should just rent it, and nothing else.
    Gameplay: 6/10
    Graphics: 8/10
    Story: 3/10
    Overall: 6/10
  8. Jun 15, 2014
    Assassin's Creed III continues the experiences of Desmond and the team, and moves on to two new ancestors of Desmond, Haytham & Connor, who are father and son respectfully. AC3 takes forever to get started, you actually play as Connor, but for the first two sequences you play as Haytham. This become rather droll and the story in the overall game moves very slow and with uneven speed. ThisAssassin's Creed III continues the experiences of Desmond and the team, and moves on to two new ancestors of Desmond, Haytham & Connor, who are father and son respectfully. AC3 takes forever to get started, you actually play as Connor, but for the first two sequences you play as Haytham. This become rather droll and the story in the overall game moves very slow and with uneven speed. This iteration of the series is also very cinematic heavy, you'll perhaps do 3-5 minutes of actual playing followed by a 1 - 2 minute cinematic (you can skip the cinematics, but then the plot is basically meaningless). This iteration feels very much rushed, a lot of things go wrong in the game.

As most people have reviewed this game is plagued with bugs and glitches, now I actually am a game programmer myself (I even have a degree in it), and some of the bugs that have gotten through quality control are absolutely absurd. I had hoped that a few years down the road that most of the important and game break bugs would be fixed, but they aren't. I know the Xbox 360 doesn't have the most advanced hardware specs and given the size of the worlds the Assassin's Creed series has come to be known for, but this is a bit too much.

I can't count the number of times I'll be walking (this is later in the game around sequence 9 for whatever reason) and I'll be incognito and walk past a guard and suddenly all the guards in the area will attack me as if I had been Notoriety Level 3. This is awful, because it happens repeatedly, and I'm not talking 1 or 2 guards, I'm talking upwards of 7 - 10, not all of them infantry that can be killed using simply counters. I've also seen (and took a picture, wish I could post it) a manikin sitting on the seat of a hay trailer, it's like the texture for whatever person was supposed to be there is missing so what I see if the plain white model of a human. Also something you'll notice and these are actually acceptable bugs considering the limitations of the hardware, but texture pop-ins are a thing you'll have to get used too. You can be riding your horse and getting to a bridge and clearly see that when your about 50 meters from the bridge the higher resolution texture will pop-in and if you're running in a grassy area you can see the grass actually grow right in front of you. They just overlay the ground ahead of the player with a texture of grass, then as you get closer to be able to interact with it they pop the model in, well it's like watching time move fast because the grass will grow right before your very eyes.

I'm hoping that future iterations of the Assassin's Creed series will be benefited by the new hardware from the Xbox One and Playstation 4. I'd suggest you play this game only for the story to find what becomes of Desmond, but if you're looking for the charming character development like Ezio or anything like Brotherhood/II you'll be sadly disappointed.
  9. Apr 13, 2014
    This game being my first time playing anything from the Assassin's Creed franchise I was very impressed at how the story plays out, the game play, and just the look back in history premise these games bring. If you were to ask me what I thought about this game a little over a year ago I would have said it was fantastic!
    However after playing AC2, I became more and more disappointed in
    However after playing AC2, I became more and more disappointed in what AC3 was.
    This is still a good game (don't get me wrong) but it just does not compare to the previous entries in the franchise.
  10. Mar 22, 2014
    An utter disappointment in not just the Assassins Creed franchise, but pretty much to video games in general. The time setting and location, while it felt fresh, was laid back by an uninteresting protagonist and an underwhelming story.
  11. Dec 27, 2013
    These are the negative facts in my opinion about the game. Overall it's a great game. It has amazing graphics and great environment and i enjoyed playing it, but there were some things that ruined my experience during gameplay.

For me it was difficult to follow the story, because there's too much of information happening at the same time and i got confused. The maps are too big and exploring them gets tedious, the characters have no special personality. The main character (Connor) is too serious and cold, i missed Ezio's charisma. The start-menu is very confusing. The main message and meaning of the assassin's creed felt kind of weak in general.
  12. Dec 27, 2013
    Great graphics and features but poor history and the main character is just not charismatic like Ezio or Altair. Lots of boring stealth missions.. Not very fun I just want to finish it quick to get to the next one..
  13. Dec 26, 2013
    When I started playing this game, I was swept up in Assassin's Creed nostalgia. The gameplay was smooth but refined, and the world was massive. The combat flowed well and all in all the voice acting was very good. After a couple hours of gameplay, I noticed the first issue, the opening sequence is way too long. It took me three hours before I met the protagonist, and left me feeling likeWhen I started playing this game, I was swept up in Assassin's Creed nostalgia. The gameplay was smooth but refined, and the world was massive. The combat flowed well and all in all the voice acting was very good. After a couple hours of gameplay, I noticed the first issue, the opening sequence is way too long. It took me three hours before I met the protagonist, and left me feeling like most of what I had done to that point was just a glorified tutorial. I finally got to Connor's storyline and expected the game to finally pick up, there were a few issues with that though. First off, Connor is boring. He just floats through revolutionary America taking jobs for a bunch of founding fathers and barely has any traits. There may be a scene where he challenges his teacher, but as soon as that's over it's like it never happened. The use of founding fathers is enjoyable for a little, but I like American history, and when this game decides to say, "Paul Revere didn't do the midnight ride, it was Connor, Paul was just kind of there" it becomes annoying. It undermines the efforts of all these real people to promote the protagonist, and it didn't need to do that. Finally, there's the biggest problem with the game, it's boring. There are long stretches of game where you just follow people around and wander between Boston and New York (no Philadelphia?). And while that also happened in AC I and II (and all the other games), at least you were someplace interesting where you could have fun exploring the environment. 18th Century Boston isn't nearly as big or fun as Damascus or Rome, for god sake, if there was a building over 3 stories it was a treat, while in old ones you could climb hundreds of feet in the air. The action is fun, but there is a bit of issue with the technology of the time, namely, guns. In the revolutionary war, everyone owned a gun. Using swords and throwing knives is fun, until you get shot, then you just need to pick up a musket. I think this was a poor choice for setting, because the system worked in the other games. The player would meet some people they had heard of, some people they hadn't and run around getting into sword fights. Here, the player knows all the major characters (or at least I did) and realizes they made them so much less interesting than they were. A conversation with Thomas Jefferson about slavery should be riveting, but he just vaguely talks against it while Connor accuses him of being a hypocrite, then agrees to do some bland chore for him. Along the way, Connor gets shot and has to run around dodging redcoats until he can hide. It just doesn't work as well. Maybe Ubisoft is just spinning their wheels, but this feels more like an uninspired peripheral game than the climax of the franchise (or at least the trilogy). I give it a 5/10, if only because I did like the older games so much. Expand
  14. Dec 14, 2013
    Having played AC 1 and 2, I was unsure of where they could take the series as 2 was an incredible piece of work. The answer is they got very ambitious and fell short. The opening is fun once, and by opening I mean first 10 hours. This game is not replayable, too many very long story sequences of linearized gameplay.

The good is that this game is beautiful, vast, complex, and has alot

The good is that this game is beautiful, vast, complex, and has alot of play time in it. Best part hands down were the ship missions. The free run mechanics continue to work great and further variety has been added to combat to keep it from stagnating.

Find this game discounted and it will not disappoint, but not a full retail purchase.
  15. Nov 27, 2013
    My biggest gripe with this game is the disjointed and fractured storyline. It's like they forgot to do some of the cinematic cut scenes that explain how a particular situation ended up. You have to try to gleam from the conversations between your character and NPCs later what really went down when you finish a mission that is important but the details are left out. Game play itself isMy biggest gripe with this game is the disjointed and fractured storyline. It's like they forgot to do some of the cinematic cut scenes that explain how a particular situation ended up. You have to try to gleam from the conversations between your character and NPCs later what really went down when you finish a mission that is important but the details are left out. Game play itself is just like all other AC in my opinion, naval battles are okay, and the trading aspect is pretty stupid. Overall would of had a better score if the story had been checked by someone without ADHD before production. Expand
  16. Rem
    Nov 11, 2013
    I am one of those that truly adored the Assassin's Creed franchise. AC2 was the peak of the series as it showed how you can combine the free running mechanic and still give you an insane amount of freedom. Here in Assassin's Creed 3, that sort of freedom is absent. If you haven't brushed up on your previous games, prepare to get confused as it throws many aspects from previous games intoI am one of those that truly adored the Assassin's Creed franchise. AC2 was the peak of the series as it showed how you can combine the free running mechanic and still give you an insane amount of freedom. Here in Assassin's Creed 3, that sort of freedom is absent. If you haven't brushed up on your previous games, prepare to get confused as it throws many aspects from previous games into the main story. What bugged me the most is that most of the missions in the game are just plain too restricting and tedious. Eavesdropping missions are certainly not a good way to past the time as I recall replaying one mission eight times because I had to play a very specific way. The game tries to make up for this by introducing a huge amount of side activities. Hunting, crafting, looting, underground, and delivery missions are present, but it just isn't any interesting. A couple positives I do have to mention is the fact that combat is more entertaining than ever. Freerunning is also simpler than ever. However the biggest surprise is the naval combat, which are easily the best parts of the game. Yet with obvious improvements even in the graphical department, there are plenty of technical issues in the game, and they certainly annoyed me. Overall Assassin's Creed 3 gets caught trying to do too much with so little. It is easily the weakest entry in the series and a disappointing sendoff to Desmond Miles, not like his story was compelling anyways. Expand
  17. Nov 6, 2013
    Because I trust user reviews over magazine reviews, I waited close to a year before purchasing it in the bargin bin. I wasn't disappointed. This was the worst game of the series. At times the story felt exhilerating and epic, but mostly it felt lame and dull. The large expansive world that they added falls flat when they give you such a large area with nothing interesting to do in it.Because I trust user reviews over magazine reviews, I waited close to a year before purchasing it in the bargin bin. I wasn't disappointed. This was the worst game of the series. At times the story felt exhilerating and epic, but mostly it felt lame and dull. The large expansive world that they added falls flat when they give you such a large area with nothing interesting to do in it. For a game to have been out for a year and still be as buggy as this game makes no sense. It was as bad as the very first Assassin's Creed, yet that one got a pass because it was the first...this is the fifth game of the series! Way too many redcoats in town that prevent you from stealth. If you jump up on a roof, it's like you ignited a hornets nest and spend most of your time running for your life. Combat it ridicolous now because you regenerate your health very quickly, and so does your enemy apparently as it takes about fifteen hits with your tomohawk to kill them. Some assassin, can't stealth and can't kill. Such a shame because the did a great job with the graphics, Boston and New York, the ships, and the voice acting was the best of the series. Expand
  18. Oct 31, 2013
    This game might be entertaining, but it is a little bit boring. The storyline is a bit too draggy too. I liked the soundtrack of this game, A LOT. I think ubisoft should not have added 4 sequences of us playing as Haytham, because playing as him is extremely boring.
  19. Oct 27, 2013
    after a very disapointing game(assassin's creed revelations)there wans't how make a worst game,the story of assassin's creed 3 can be good but the rest of the game isnt so good.
  20. Oct 22, 2013
    I love the AC games and I feel like this isn't a terrible entry but I think they strayed to far from the stealth mechanics of the previous games. And it is way to easy to get out of impossible situations
  21. Oct 16, 2013
    Unlike most people, I actually like this game better than Assassin's Creed II. However, that still doesn't mean that I love this game. As a matter of fact, I have to say that this game is average at best. This game has a lot of the same problems I have had with Assassin's Creed II, but it is still slightly better for other reasons. For one, the graphics have been very much improved.Unlike most people, I actually like this game better than Assassin's Creed II. However, that still doesn't mean that I love this game. As a matter of fact, I have to say that this game is average at best. This game has a lot of the same problems I have had with Assassin's Creed II, but it is still slightly better for other reasons. For one, the graphics have been very much improved. While they are still outdated (not on par with Skyrim or Batman Arkham City, both of which came out a year before this), they are still very good. The gameplay is not too bad either. However, after playing it, I cannot deny its many similarities with Batman Arkham City. That's essentially what the gameplay is as a matter of fact, a toned down version of the combat system in Batman Arkham City. This still makes the gameplay generic like Assassin's Creed II, however, I did love Batman Arkham City's combat system, and I am pretty glad it was used here. The game also has a little more to do in it than Rocksteady's Batman epic, however, most of these tasks are rather boring. Arkham City had Batman solving crimes, while this game has you collecting trinkets for a man you care little about. Naval battles were a nice touch to this game however. It does keep this game from getting too generic like Assassin's Creed II, but considering that they make up less than half of the game's missions, it won't help all that much. The gameplay also still has several glitches, a few of them game-breaking. If Ubisoft really wants this series to be amazing, they need to stop releasing these games with so many bugs in them. The story of this game however, still completely sucks. The present story is still in there, and should be removed from the game entirely. Its plot is confusing as heck, and is still a complete rip-off of the Matrix. As for the story set in the past, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the story is no longer ripping off any comic books (at least, not as much as the last game). The bad news is now it is ripping off another very good movie. This time, it is ripping off Star Wars. The story has you taking control of an Assassin named Luke Skywalker, I mean Connor (who is essentially a Native American version of Batman), who has everything he loves taken from him, his tribe, his mother, everything. He then goes to a wise old mentor named Yoda, I mean Achilles, to teach him the ways of the Jedi, I mean Assassin. He also learns that one of the main villains of this game is his father named Darth Vader, I mean Haytham Kenway. Do you see where I'm saying it is a Star Wars knock-off? The game still has a very unique setting. I do love how it takes place in Colonial times, which is an era not often explored in video games. I also love how it takes place during the American Revolution, however, that does sort of add to how it is a rip-off of Star Wars, as there is another war between the Assassins and Templars happening along with the Americans and British. In Star Wars it was the Rebellion vs. The Empire along with Jedi vs. Sith. Overall, I'd say that this game is an improvement from Assassin's Creed II, but still not a game that I would call great. I'd say that this game is worth a rent at best. However, if you want something better than this, it would probably be for the best that you skip this game entirely, and spend your money on a game like Batman Arkham Asylum or Arkham City. Expand
  22. Sep 24, 2013
    This game is the definition of a major disappointment. It had so much potential to be amazing, and instead we got a very mediocre game. Extremely mediocre honestly. Where do I even start. The combat is stiff and restricting, the free-running is annoying and a step backwards from previous games, the enemy a.i is bad, the map is uninteresting and not even fun to explore and worst of all:TheThis game is the definition of a major disappointment. It had so much potential to be amazing, and instead we got a very mediocre game. Extremely mediocre honestly. Where do I even start. The combat is stiff and restricting, the free-running is annoying and a step backwards from previous games, the enemy a.i is bad, the map is uninteresting and not even fun to explore and worst of all:The game is boring to play. I mean there were a few good moments in the game, but there's not enough of them to truly say this is a good game. The game was so boring at some points, I was nearly put to tears. The protagonist is dull, the main missions are repetitive and restricting, and the map is a chore to explore.The game is beautiful to look at, but that's about it. Oh and I forgot to mention how the game's ending is awful. This game sucks. My rating: 6.1/10 Expand
  23. Sep 11, 2013
    Un titulo interesante debido a su anterior saga, pero con unos altibajos notables: Los gráficos se podría decir que incluso han empeorado respecto a los últimos Assassin's Creeds, pero lo importante aquí reside en otras cosas como la nave Aquila, sin duda algo perfecto, un gran barco disponible para realizar batallas navales, el bajo: No se puede usar en un modo libre. En mi opinión, elUn titulo interesante debido a su anterior saga, pero con unos altibajos notables: Los gráficos se podría decir que incluso han empeorado respecto a los últimos Assassin's Creeds, pero lo importante aquí reside en otras cosas como la nave Aquila, sin duda algo perfecto, un gran barco disponible para realizar batallas navales, el bajo: No se puede usar en un modo libre. En mi opinión, el nuevo traje de Connor es bueno, recordando el estilo de la saga, pero en la compra de este articulo parece haber poco en lo que elegir, otra cosa que me gusto fue la posibilidad de llamar al caballo, pero el bajo es sus continuos errores, cuando entra en el agua en ocasiones se crea un bug, al igual que es muy ficicil montarlo si vas por el bosque. Como he dicho un buen juego, no me decepcionó, pero tambien tiene errores que necesitan ser pulidos. Expand
  24. Aug 30, 2013
    When i played just 5 hours of this game i gave it a 9. I made a terrible mistake, this game is not that good. It has indeed a good story, and the Naval missions are the Jewel of the Crown. But the game is broken, the parkour elements are Broken, the Battles are way too simple, different weapons means nothing in this game. The best thing of the game, the naval missions, are so few in theWhen i played just 5 hours of this game i gave it a 9. I made a terrible mistake, this game is not that good. It has indeed a good story, and the Naval missions are the Jewel of the Crown. But the game is broken, the parkour elements are Broken, the Battles are way too simple, different weapons means nothing in this game. The best thing of the game, the naval missions, are so few in the story mode, that you can count in one hand's fingers. I am relieved that Blackflag's focus is on Piracy, i really hope they learn from their mistakes, Assassin's Creed is an awesome franchise. Expand
  25. Aug 29, 2013
    [5.8] As with most of the previous installments, Assassin's Creed never learns from its mistakes. The developers improve one aspect of the game, and forget to maintain another. You would expect a skilled developer such as Ubisoft to be able to perfect a game by fifth installment, especially when its weakest elements are the most important to the game.
  26. Aug 15, 2013
    I have been a fan of the Assassin's Creed series since 2008, and played all the console releases so far. This entry in the series shows why the series is so great sometimes, spectacular views, fun combat and nice diversions. But it is a highly flawed game: the main missions force players to do their tasks in a certain manner, combat is frustrating(have to hit a single enemy three times toI have been a fan of the Assassin's Creed series since 2008, and played all the console releases so far. This entry in the series shows why the series is so great sometimes, spectacular views, fun combat and nice diversions. But it is a highly flawed game: the main missions force players to do their tasks in a certain manner, combat is frustrating(have to hit a single enemy three times to a row to kill him, should you stop they heal) and the main lead is a rather dull character. But its still a game worth playing, just know its a frustrating and tedious. Expand
  27. Aug 15, 2013
    Another great take in the Assassin's Creed series. It's not perfect by any meas: the voice acting is poor, the characters occasionally feel far from fleshed out and the movement is not always as precise as it should be. However the cinematic quality and the general storyline is well mapped out and putting Connor in the midst of key historical events made for a very engaging experience. OneAnother great take in the Assassin's Creed series. It's not perfect by any meas: the voice acting is poor, the characters occasionally feel far from fleshed out and the movement is not always as precise as it should be. However the cinematic quality and the general storyline is well mapped out and putting Connor in the midst of key historical events made for a very engaging experience. One of the few games that made me want to research it's subjects and topics and shows that the medium can be used not just to entertain but (in a loose way) educate without losing gameplay. Expand
  28. Aug 4, 2013
    the assassins creed series is one of the best series in gaming and the previous installments have all been top quality. however this game is probably the weakest of the series. it is not a bad game but it is just frustrating how good this game could have been. the setting of the game is so interesting and full of mystery and history and as the series is famous for their alternative take onthe assassins creed series is one of the best series in gaming and the previous installments have all been top quality. however this game is probably the weakest of the series. it is not a bad game but it is just frustrating how good this game could have been. the setting of the game is so interesting and full of mystery and history and as the series is famous for their alternative take on the events of the past this is perfect for the series. however the game gets off to an insanely slow start. unfortunately there is so much going on this world yet you are stuck running from objective to objective to watch another cut scene as the game sets it self up. this didn't throw me off the game but left a rather sour taste in my mouth as the game often continued along this path. The game does a fantastic job in terms of graphics and the world yet falls short on creating interesting characters. Connor has no where near the charisma of ezio and the supporting cast other than the main villain, Charles Lee are all relatively stale. The game also does a great job introducing new mechanics and aspects of the game that refresh the series. The addition of hunting, naval battles and the almanacs as the collectibles rather than feathers all feel fresh and exciting in particular the naval battles which for me are the highlight of the game. AC3 also does a great job sticking to its roots as it adapts. the changes to the combat feel natural and the counters are still as brutal and bloody as ever.

AC3 is an enjoyable game but by no means the best game of the series. If the battles between the red and the blue coats had of been completed on a major scale and the character of connor was more likeable then this game could have been right there with AC2 and brotherhood.
  29. Jun 24, 2013
    This game had a lot of hype surrounding it. It was suppose to reinvent the world of Assassin's Creed as we knew it. Did it succeed? Well, sort of.

The game is very interesting, don't get me wrong. However, the primary issue here is a lack of centralization. There are so many things to see and do, but none of them are particularly interesting. The main story is bland (especially the story surrounding Desmond), the gameplay can be mundane at times, and the game just doesn't feel as tight as the other entries.
    It's a great game, but it does too much with little focus on any specific aspect.

There are two things that really make this game great:
    1. The sailing segments are awesome, full of intense combat and excellent atmosphere.
    2. The sound-track is amazing, boasting some of the best tunes in the Assassin's Creed franchise.

Give this game a try; it might just click with you. For me, it just wasn't quite as good as the other entries in the series. It is better than Revelations, though. That's for sure.
  30. Jun 7, 2013
    Assassin's creed 3 is not the perfect sequel AC fans have been waiting for, Dose it live up to the hype? No. It has lackluster side missions except the naval missions), a convoluted story overall, and some game play hiccups. What it dos have is some solid voice acting, and fun combat.
  31. Jun 7, 2013
    I scored this game a 5. And I think I am being a little generous in doing so.

The reason I believe that is because this game seemed to have looked at the prior AC games and everything they did (all the improvements made and all the feedback given) and then promptly ignored it all. The game starts you off as probably the most interesting and fun AC character ever, Haytham Kenway, and
    I scored this game a 5. And I think I am being a little generous in doing so.

The game starts you off as probably the most interesting and fun AC character ever, Haytham Kenway, and then at the end of that section of the game hits you with the two by four in the face revelation that shock! Haytham was a templar all along! *facepalm*
    The delivery and telegraphing of that particular fact was seen a mile off, and when it finally game out it was done in such a hamfisted way that I physically rolled my eyes.

You are then shifted onto the Connor sections of the game. And from there the whole thing just rolls downhill until its inevitable car crash at the end.
    Connor's youth VA is stilted, and incredibly fake sounding; and the impetus for his revenge was delivered in as pointless and hamfisted a manner as the Haytham-is-a-templar "revelation" it was eye rollingly bad. And he gets no better as an adult. His adult VA isn't as poor but honestly that is no saving grace as the adult "Connor" is the single dullest most annoying character I have ever seen (and I have sufferred through Adoring Fan in Oblivion).

When Connor isn't being dull, he is being a pointless douchenozzle. And his miraculous involvement in every single major historical event surrounding the independence war period defies belief. It gets to the point of immersion shatteringly bad.
    And then Connor's arc ends, not with having to fight your father Haytham (who was the Grand Master of the Americas Templar Order) but fight "General Lee" his second in command... Which doesn't make sense considering the impetus for the game is to stop his father and the Templars.

The game does do a better job of communicating the type of person that Desmond is. It shows him as rather brave and heroic and he comes off as pretty likeable. And the Desmond sections of the game don't feel as irritating or annoying in this game as they did in prior games; but I am unsure if that is a function of Connor being so dull that even Desmond looks better in comparison I don't know...
    And then we have that pointless car crash of an ending. I mean honestly what was it with 2012 games ending with 3 all having horribly stupid endings? Dear god.

Moving onto gameplay. None of the improvements that Brotherhood and Revelations made to the gameplay seem to have made it into this game. In fact it seems to have gottten worst because the devs seem to be trying to portray Connor along the lines of the Wizard archetype (with all his techie stuff) and over complicated the whole thing and implemented it all incredibly poorly.
    There is literally no point to going onto roofs at all in this game. And combat is a frustrating and irritating slog. The guards seem to be psychic; and the controls seem to be back to being twitchy and overly sensitive as they were in AC1.

The only part of this game I loved (and it seems to be universally loved) is the naval sections of this game. I bet I am not the only person in the world who said "I want a pirate game with these naval mechanics!"
    Evidentally I wasn't because we now have AC4: The Black Flag due out (less than 18 months after AC3 is not a good sign though) which centres the entire game around that mechanic.

This game... Buy it because you want the complete collection. But honestly it isn't worth suffering through.
  32. May 17, 2013
    Firstly I would like to say that Assassin's Creed 3 is an enjoyable game. All the elements that made the previous games so much fun are still present, but, in a similar way to Fallout: New Vegas, AC3 doesn't do much to improve upon the previous game other than a new setting. Having said that, this is good news if you loved the previous game in the series and just wanted more of the sameFirstly I would like to say that Assassin's Creed 3 is an enjoyable game. All the elements that made the previous games so much fun are still present, but, in a similar way to Fallout: New Vegas, AC3 doesn't do much to improve upon the previous game other than a new setting. Having said that, this is good news if you loved the previous game in the series and just wanted more of the same once you'd completed it.

The new, vastly different setting and historical context does give the game a completely different feel and freshens the series. It's cool to experience a very different point in history, especially one that is so much closer to the present day, so much more relevant and set a lot closer to home for many players.

The new setting means there are lots of trees which you can climb, which might sound novel but it's basically just the same thing as climbing a building, except your in the middle of nowhere with no reason to climb the tree...

The naval battles are probably the biggest addition to the series (and were basically the only reason I got the game) but really don't feature that heavily in the storyline. I thought that concept would really get milked but as far as I can tell there is only one point in the game when you get to board another ship which was disappointing as it was a really promising area that was a lot of fun.

The biggest disappointment in this game (and it was a huge disappointment) is the storyline. For most of the story I really had no idea WHY Connor was doing what he was doing, and at many times it seems like he doesn't know either. And to be honest, the game didn't really do anything to make me care. There doesn't seem to be that much of a purpose to him going around assassinating people. Every cut scene tries to add some ambiguity surrounding what's right and wrong, and who the real bad guy is, but just end up confusing everything even more. It's all left very vague. Every twist that the storyline takes just makes it worse and seems to give Connor LESS of a reason to fight. Ultimately, he's only assassinating people because he's the main character in a game called "Assassin's Creed 3".

And the ending... Don't even get me started on the ending... It's the worst ending of any game series I've ever played. It might be the worst ending to any game series ever. Assassin's Creed (not to mention all of the fans) deserved more. This shouldn't really affect your decision to buy the game because it doesn't affect the gameplay but you will be left disappointed. I myself stared at the screen going "...is that it?..." (it's not very long either) and then sat through what must have been 20-30 minutes of credits to see if I was actually only half way through the game.

AC3 is a fun game and if you liked the previous games you'll like this one just as much, but this game isn't reinventing the wheel. There's nothing revolutionary here (ironically).
  33. May 8, 2013
    I really wanted to enjoy this game. But there are very large flaws in it that prevent me from remembering it in a positive light.

It does have good strengths. Colonial America feels vast and suitably unique and fresh in the usual library of swords and armor adventure games. There's always something to do, always something to take a look at and have fun with. And the cities feel very interesting and lifelike. In addition, naval combat was surprisingly fun. It felt brilliantly epic to watch and hear a ship get obliterated by a full broadside from my cannons. And the multiplayer was as unique, involving and fun as it was in previous games.

But then the big flaws drag everything down. For a start the game is buggy as hell. This would really break the immersion of the places I was in. Sometimes an NPC would just walk between two charcacters during a cinematic. Not cool. Second was that while Haytham is an interesting character to start off as, making me wait for 6 sequences before the game opened up was not good design. Then there was the Desmond storyline, which was just utterly disappointing.The plot twists get increasingly plain stupid, the Abstergo villain turns out to be a gigantic and I never had any more reasons to start giving a damn about the whole storyline. The eventual fate of Desmond indicates Ubisoft didn't either.

But what really breaks the game is the level design. In every mission it constantly puts secondary objectives, game-over-if-you-are-seen restrictions and boundaries everywhere. There's not even a way to turn off the optional objectives from your screen. And every time you didn't get one of them right the game just loves to remind you of your failure with a big red cross at the end of the mission. This pissed me off to no end because it made me feel as if I was being punished for not playing the game THEIR way. In an open world game, where there are often multiple solutions to a problem, this is just terrible mission design.

I wanted to like it, but in the end, I didn't feel like it was worth the hype. Not by a long shot.
  34. Apr 28, 2013
    This game was a major disappointment.The begging of the game took forever to get to the fighting.Even though the combat is really fun,the game is so boring.
  35. Apr 27, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 3 is a game with so much potential to be an amazing game but littered with problems that prevent it from being a great game. While I did finish the game in its entirety, I felt like I wanted to give up on it multiple times throughout my time with it. However, upon completing it I quickly traded it in and haven't looked back.

While the game doesn't take place in such

While the game doesn't take place in such grandiose environments such as ancient Rome and Jerusalem, early America does provide a rather interesting environment for the latest game in the series. Climbing and jumping from tree to tree while you stalk a group of British soldiers and pouncing at the right moment to unless a fury of death by tomahawk was particularly satisfying. I also enjoyed being the counter animations that Connor engages in when attacking multiple enemies and being able to use a single enemy as a human shield while being shot at by a line of muskets. This little details were the highlights of my game experience and kept me wanting to fight every British soldier I could find.

However, this enjoyment was swiftly crushed by the numerous technical glitches I ran into it and severely underdeveloped game elements. One such element, is the hunting aspect that is introduced in the beginning of the game and becomes completely unnecessary and essentially never used again throughout the game. The Homestead missions were also more of a pain to complete rather than an enjoyment. Many of the NPCs are forgettable and I ended up forcing myself to complete this missions for the sake of completion rather than desire. The "trade" system is also underutilized, which allows you to collect crafting materials from the NPCs in the Homestead and use them to create things such as chairs and barrells to sell through a convoy to cities such as Boston and New York. I also couldn't standing the optional objectives in the majority of the missions. Some are understandable such as not being detected when eavesdropping on a conversation. However, others end up completely the destroying the enjoyment of the game such as "not touching anyone" while chasing someone through a street that the game has made more crowded for this particular mission. While these optional objectives aren't necessary to complete the mission, I wanted to complete all of the missions with the highest amount of "sync" which quickly became a fruitless endeavour if I wanted to keep my controller in tact.

One particular feature of the game stands out above almost the rest of the game entirely, which was the naval battles. The naval battles could be a game in itself and I have not experienced anything like it before playing this game. Although, given the fact that this game should be focused on being an assassin, being the captain of ship shouldn't be the best part.

I wanted to like Assassin's Creed 3 and it's not a bad game but it doesn't deserve the perfect scores it has received, especially in comparison to earlier entries to the franchise. I'm looking at you Ezio.
  36. Mar 25, 2013
    This is what happens when the second game in your series is incredible. You have nowhere else to go so instead you throw in chair making and lumber delivery. It then takes various parts of Red Dead redmptions hunting aspect and fails at them on every level, integration and execution. these are just two of the few problems plaguing the third entry in the series. No longer do you assassinateThis is what happens when the second game in your series is incredible. You have nowhere else to go so instead you throw in chair making and lumber delivery. It then takes various parts of Red Dead redmptions hunting aspect and fails at them on every level, integration and execution. these are just two of the few problems plaguing the third entry in the series. No longer do you assassinate people. That entire mechanic has been so castrated that the game is no longer about it. Compounding this is a serious case of the Kojima's. Overly long cinematics interspersed with a little bit of gameplay. From an artistic standpoint, the game falters from blandness. In AC1 and 2, every local was distinct, in had its own life. This new game misses that, everything feels the same, artistically bland.
    On the plus side, even though the game fails to use its setting properly, the controls show definite promise for use in these environments.
  37. Mar 22, 2013
    This game counts as my reintroduction into the Creed world. I played the first but not the second so I was really looking forward to getting back to assassinating some guys. The problem I encounter with this game is in order to have fun you have to deal with TONS of load and TONS of cinematics. Don't get me wrong the quality of the cinematics is not in question, and I enjoyed the story.This game counts as my reintroduction into the Creed world. I played the first but not the second so I was really looking forward to getting back to assassinating some guys. The problem I encounter with this game is in order to have fun you have to deal with TONS of load and TONS of cinematics. Don't get me wrong the quality of the cinematics is not in question, and I enjoyed the story. I just wonder if some of this could have been executed in game play or even exposition during some of the loads. All told this is a beautiful game with nuggets of solid fun. Defiantly worth checking out. Expand
  38. Mar 22, 2013
    Such a heartbreaker! Been a fan of AC since the beginning and have loved the adventure/history blend. Am also a fan of the American Revolution. AC's gameplay has always been stellar... until now. The game is one big glitch. Don't know if I'll buy AC: IV. Yes, it has pirates but this player has been burned.
  39. Mar 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Assassin's Creed 3 will leave you with mixed emotions.

Pros The graphics and the combat animations are satisfying to say the least. The naval missions are realistic and will leave you wanting more. Cons Glitches are a big part of the experience. What happens at the end of the game doesn't compensate for the amount of time put into it. Too many times you'll feel aggravated or frustrated with the game.
  40. Mar 14, 2013
    There's a departure here from the classic Assassin's Creed format. The graphic are slightly improved, the implausible Sci-fi plot remains, and the combat is great. But this like Brotherhood feels more like an excuse to milk the franchise by acting a period piece that is intriguing than a progression of the overall story. Let's not forget that Desmond is the real main character. Yet I'mThere's a departure here from the classic Assassin's Creed format. The graphic are slightly improved, the implausible Sci-fi plot remains, and the combat is great. But this like Brotherhood feels more like an excuse to milk the franchise by acting a period piece that is intriguing than a progression of the overall story. Let's not forget that Desmond is the real main character. Yet I'm left feeling that over the course of 4-5 games, Desmond has made no progress as a character. Nor have his supporting players. The main characters suffer for the sake of an ancestor's story. It's becoming frustrating especially since the end is so near." I just keep wondering how many more games they can squeeze out of this franchise. Finally, as I've noted in multiple reviews before, the ending of a game or movie or any story is crucial to how it is perceived. If the ending is bad, that's the last you'll remember of the game. Not just the story was flawed, but the broken final mission as well. As a result, I was left with a "this is it?" moment that was just annoying. Expand
  41. Mar 4, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game, I spent all of 2012 waiting for this game after Revelations. But boy was I in for a letdown from day 1. The first third of the story is basically a glorified cinematic and offers little for character development. Once the story finally starts to pick up I still was waiting for more to happen and by the end I was extremely underwhelmed. The thing that madeI really wanted to like this game, I spent all of 2012 waiting for this game after Revelations. But boy was I in for a letdown from day 1. The first third of the story is basically a glorified cinematic and offers little for character development. Once the story finally starts to pick up I still was waiting for more to happen and by the end I was extremely underwhelmed. The thing that made the past games so great was the character development. I really felt like I cared for Ezio but I do not feel that here. Connor is unlikeable and stubborn and this broke the game more than the numerous glitches that I encountered. I had really high hopes and GOTY thoughts but it proved to be nothing more than that. Expand
  42. lox
    Mar 1, 2013
    One word: disappointing. Assassin's Creed 3 had so much hype surrounding it, me being one of the millions who gave into it. It looked so promising and judging from the trailers it looked like it had the potential to be the best AC game yet, as well as GOTY. But the game has too many flaws in my opinion. Playing as Haytham Kenway was fun for a little while but then for me it got tiresomeOne word: disappointing. Assassin's Creed 3 had so much hype surrounding it, me being one of the millions who gave into it. It looked so promising and judging from the trailers it looked like it had the potential to be the best AC game yet, as well as GOTY. But the game has too many flaws in my opinion. Playing as Haytham Kenway was fun for a little while but then for me it got tiresome and I just couldn't wait to finally play as Connor, whom you don't get to play as until several hours into the game. And even when you do finally play as Connor, you realize after a while that his personality is dull as a wooden plank. The combat system in AC3 when compared to previous AC'S is new and innovative, but it eventually gets repetitive rather quickly. Fighting guards eventually turns into a chore rather than a challenge. Also, the game had almost no climax to it. There was almost nothing at all that was relatively exciting enough to get me hooked to the story or the characters. I felt like the naval missions were utterly unnecessary. And to top things off, the ending of the game was unsatisfactory and a little disappointing. The only pros I can say this game has going for it is its voice acting, graphics, and soundtrack. It has memorable music, great voice actors, and is visually impressive(e.g. the wilderness). Overall, this game did not live up to its hype and certainly didn't exceed my expectations. AC3 was over-hyped and under-delivered. Expand
  43. Feb 26, 2013
    I don't understand why people think this game is so good the main assassin for the first time is really stupid and he complains about everything even though he is supposed to be a assassin and the bugs and glitches i encountered in this game were so frustrating and it took the fun out of the game
  44. Feb 26, 2013
    One of the most frustrating games I've played. When it works it is brilliant and exhilarating; far too often, though, it feels simply like work. A chore. This is largely due to the fact that most side missions serve no purpose other than time filler (sea missions being the exception and the true high point of the game), and to the variable glitchy, twitchy controls--seems that at keyOne of the most frustrating games I've played. When it works it is brilliant and exhilarating; far too often, though, it feels simply like work. A chore. This is largely due to the fact that most side missions serve no purpose other than time filler (sea missions being the exception and the true high point of the game), and to the variable glitchy, twitchy controls--seems that at key moments the designers decided to slightly alter the control command for no apparent reason, and you end up failing full synchronization. Or in a final boss battle when suddenly you have to learn an entirely new control command scheme to succeed. At any rate, when i finished this game it was with no sense of joy or accomplishment-- just a grim determination to finish something I started. In other words, work. Expand
  45. Feb 16, 2013
    Many had high expectations for this game. All of that slowly withered away for me after playing as the father of the main character for about 2hrs. Then, when we finally get a taste of Connor, we are basically doing more training missions after we just played for a decent amount of time. The story was still AC esque, this means I didn't enjoy it. Stupid twists and pointless missionsMany had high expectations for this game. All of that slowly withered away for me after playing as the father of the main character for about 2hrs. Then, when we finally get a taste of Connor, we are basically doing more training missions after we just played for a decent amount of time. The story was still AC esque, this means I didn't enjoy it. Stupid twists and pointless missions weren't all too pleasing. Also, the way they advertised the "big war-like battles" was pointless, as we played through about 3 of them, which weren't even long. Although it was overall displeasing I did enjoy how it added new types of missions, enemies and ways of ASSASINATING people. In the end though the new fighting style really pissed me off as it was totally different then the previous 4 games, also the recruits made no sense to me as well as the homestead, I never used them. Finally, I won't say it, but the ending was horrible Expand
  46. Feb 9, 2013
    After huge disapointment AC3 was for me, I've started to read user reviews. All the professional gaming media were so hyped and enchanted by amount of game content that they forgot that all that matters is gameplay. AC is full of great animation, cinematic and collectibles but 70% of the game is walking from cutscene to cutscene and pressing x!! Third installment in the series could haveAfter huge disapointment AC3 was for me, I've started to read user reviews. All the professional gaming media were so hyped and enchanted by amount of game content that they forgot that all that matters is gameplay. AC is full of great animation, cinematic and collectibles but 70% of the game is walking from cutscene to cutscene and pressing x!! Third installment in the series could have been a revolution but it took a huge step backward and lost most of it's unique identity. Assassinations? You have to wait over 6 hours for first. Free running? Useless, because of the limited architecture and long gaps between buildings. Open world and it's distractors? Present but the game doesn't encourage you to leave main path.

Overall, this game is average despite impressive list of features and content.
  47. Feb 7, 2013
    Seriously... I haven't been able to finish this game. It is one of the least entertaining things Ubisoft has spat out lately. Boring, boring, boring... This used to be a sandbox game about stabbing people and climbing interesting buildings. Now it is a game about building villages, chasing pigs, sailing and making some crappy caravans (who the hell created that mechanic??). Cities? Gone.Seriously... I haven't been able to finish this game. It is one of the least entertaining things Ubisoft has spat out lately. Boring, boring, boring... This used to be a sandbox game about stabbing people and climbing interesting buildings. Now it is a game about building villages, chasing pigs, sailing and making some crappy caravans (who the hell created that mechanic??). Cities? Gone. Interesting fight system? Gone. Everything that used to be fun in AC2 and Brotherhood gone. Yeah... The frontier setting looks nice but it gets old pretty quick when every single mission requires you to run to the other end of the map. Not to mention bugs. The one that was VERY annoying for me was that the fighting style didn't change when you switched from tomahawk to dagger. It was hilarious to see Connor HACK his enemies with a dagger in hand. I mean... who the f... let this thing out of QA?

It is quite disappointing to see Ubisoft fall so hard on it's face on this one. This was supposed to be a crown jewel but it FAILS completely to live to it's hype. All the good things from AC2 were wasted and it is very obvious that a different team did this piece of crap.
  48. Jan 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is this the worst AC to date? Possibly. If you ignore Relevations then yes. This game is so far from everything that made AC fun that it shouldn't even bear the title. Worse is that it is also the buggiest game in the series.

Let's start with the positives: The present timeline is finished up, thankful. I always thought Desmond was stupid and I'm so glad it is over. But, of course, they'll likely just keep sending us to the present in future installments anyway. The other thing that was good was the horrible vehicles don't recur.

Now the bad - Hatham and the first 3 or 4 sequences. They add absolutely nothing to the story and Hatham is almost as bad as Desmond. It would have been enough to assume the lineage was possible and move on.

Tree running is painful. Forget the fact that (unlike every other AC game) most trees you cannot climb. Basically you're running around looking for a tree to climb (or a convenient rock to run up) so you can tree run. It's funny that you can climb building but a tree branch 5' off the ground cannot be used. Even worse is that once you get to the top the leaves are in the way so you don't know where you can leap from without dying. It also seems they have 2 models for trees to sync with because each time I used the exact same tree climbing. The whole naval thing doesn't make sense. A young man suddenly captaining a ship? That's just stupid. I wish they would stick with the fun parts of AC. That brings us to the RTS aspects they keep stuffing into the game. I don't want to micro-manage supplies, builders and caravans. That is dull but I'm forced to in order to make money to buy stuff I need. Attention Ubisoft - if I want to do resource mgmt I'll go to work. They also added QTEs to this game. Unfortunately the timing is off and it happens way too often. Out in the woods, suddenly attacking by a predator, QTE or die. Boring and lame...

It is clear the original designers of the game have left the team because this game is all about RTS and FPS concepts. Stealth is all but impossible outside of rural areas. On a roof? Guards pick you off from the ground. Trying to take a fort? Guards keep respawning and have the ability to pick you off no matter where you hide. If I were a real assassin I would go for combat as a last resort. Yet AC keeps adding more and more combat moves rather than stealth components. Even worse is that there are no so many commands that there aren't enough controls so commands are contextual. I long for the days of stealthy AC. Bring back the original devs Ubisoft. The current team misses the point of what made the original games fun.

The minigames are so unfair they aren't fun but the side quests are at least entertaining. Of course there is some collectibles too but I don't like how you really have to collect everything in order to open up upgrades. The environment and people are dull. I am not at all excited about this poor backdrop for the game. It just doesn't live up to Italy or Jerusalem. It's like they had a small budget so they implemented a minimal set. I hate that this is the final game in the series.

Now the bugs. There are lots of them on even the latest patch. 1) Around and in forts guards respawn almost immediately. Once I killed a guard turned around the other way and turned back and the guard had respawned next to his own dead body. In forts it is a blood bath such that your best bet is to just run to the goals as fast as you can.
    2) Enemies are really, really sensitive. On several occasions a guard with their back to me and me in a tree behind them was suddenly picked off even though I wasn't even moving.
    3) Minigames - The players seem to look too far ahead such that winning is luck more than skill.
    4) QTEs are timed too short. Basically if you don't mash the button when it appears you'll lose. If you lose you'll generally lose a lot of health. Given that predators attack such that you cannot get away, if you lose twice you might as well reload. There are also way too many of them (although that isn't a bug).
    5) In combat you cannot get out because when you switch out of combat mode you'll likely get hit which puts you back into combat mode.
    6) In some cases if you're in combat mode but run away it thinks you're still in combat (even after minutes) and won't allow you to do certain things like air assassinate animals.
    7) On a couple of occasions an assassination target was partially clipped into the scenery making them impossible to assassinate.
    8) Bears and cougars go into an infinite escape loop if a gun goes off. Once I watch a group of bears run in circles for 5 minutes after a gun went off. They ignore everything and everyone. Another time a cougar did the same thing near a guard and the guard just kept walking by them as though they didn't exist.
  49. Jan 18, 2013
    This game had the mechanic to be the best Assassin's Creed ever, but it was the worse in my opinion (considering the release date). Don't understand me bad, I'm a great fan of franchise, I buy it every year and if release a new I will buy it again, but this game gave me a attack of rage that I want give a score of 0 to it.

And why am I so disappointed? The main campaign is excellent,

And why am I so disappointed? The main campaign is excellent, full of reverses, it really surprises you. Connor is an amazing character, he is pretty different from Altair and Ezio which gives him a own mark. The great defect of the game are the most weak side missions of ever AC. In AC2, Brotherhood and Revelations we have made missions of ASSASSINS what includes espionage, steal and the most important: assassination. But in AC3 this missions are very rare, there are a lot of farm's missions (for children) that the own Connor says in one of them: "The things I make for this place."
    There are some good missions in the city to recruit new assassins to the order, but they are just acceptable.

There would be no problem in add farm's missions (just to remember: they are for children) to Connor's adventure, but without remove what I learned to love in previous experiences.

And there is more: AC is a game that permits you be free, you can kill the target any way you want, in stealth way or like a barbarian entering in a scandalous fight, but in 3rd edition you is obliged to do a second option, very rare the moments you can make all sneaking (just in forts and missions of main campaign)

This should be an action-adventure game with STEALTH ELEMENTS, but they removed almost all the stealth.

Because this, it was a major deception I have had when the matter is videogame, I hope it change in 2013.
  50. Jan 15, 2013
    I really expected this game to be a lot better than it was, and not in the over hype way, but in the sense that it looked like a solid game and fundamentally it was going to build off of it's predecessors in an exciting setting. Welp, it turns out that in building on it's predecessors it managed to throw every possible pointless side mission into the game without regards for how it fit in.I really expected this game to be a lot better than it was, and not in the over hype way, but in the sense that it looked like a solid game and fundamentally it was going to build off of it's predecessors in an exciting setting. Welp, it turns out that in building on it's predecessors it managed to throw every possible pointless side mission into the game without regards for how it fit in. This is really raw analogy but it felt as though someone dipped their game making paintbrush into a bucket of game idea paint, and just splattered it on a canvas. That may sound like a gross exaggeration but if you look at everything besides the story line it really does feel that way. You literally have to do none of the side missions and for the most part the game does a terrible job of informing you on the various systems mechanics. There is crafting and trading, sailing, liberation, hunting, guilds, postal missions, view points, gambling, and a bunch of other stuff, that if you ignored it would make little to no difference on your game it seems. I hate to knock this game because it really did have some cool moments but there were a lot of other points where I was just banging my head and asking "why!?". I'm happy that I finished the game but I really felt like it was a push for me to take interest in this one, especially after having played 2, brotherhood, and revelations within a 3 week period. I think a lot of the time I felt overwhelmed and not in the good exploratory sense, but in the sense that completing this game (story plus extras), just seemed like a task that I had no interest in taking on. To contextualize, in past games I never collected the feathers, but I always bought everything I could and upgraded everything and completed all the side missions. In this game it felt like there was too much that I just felt like the incentive did not exist for me continue playing past the story. It is a shame because I thought this one would surprise me but unfortunately it was a huge let down. Expand
  51. Jan 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Assassin's Creed 3 is an above average game with some strong aspects. Unlike many of the reviews I've read on this game I happen to think the story line is quite good. There has been a lot of criticism over the story as many people believe it does not present a coherent image of the assassin's order or really develop the story line. However I felt that the game producers were aware that the time period they were focusing on was a story in itself and therefore allowed Connor (the assassin you play as) to obviously be the main focus whilst also allowing us the player to really immerse ourselves in the time period we're playing in. I for one loved the spin Ubisoft put on the Boston Massacre and was equally excited at dodging Redcoat bullets at bunker hill!! So in terms of story line I actually quite enjoyed most of it, although I do agree the finale was a bit dry.

In terms of gameplay the main story line was brilliant. A large variety of missions to accomplish, a good set of sometimes challenging optional challenges and and intuitive control system allowed me to really enjoy the game. I will say that other reviewers aren't wrong when they say parts of the game can be very monotonous and at times aggravating.

Now I must explain why I gave the game a rating of 7 when it should be a 9 in my personal opinion. The game is absoultely drowning in glitches!! Some of these are, as mentioned, fairly harmless and can be forgiven for the moment of comedy they provide. However some, are so agonisingly annoying that I was on the verge of writing to Ubisoft and having a right old British moan! For me what really pushed me to this point was a certain information gathering mission conducted on the homestead (stupid Encyclopedia). I was determined to get 100% synchronisation on this latest Assassin's Creed so I reluctantly plodded over to the homestead citizens and started to compile information about their amazingly dull lives! Nearing completion I gritted my teeth and got on with it only to be metaphorically kicked in the privates by a stupendously annoying Dr. White who simply refuses to do anything but two tasks in his entire day. I have researched this massively and there have been many problems with this and to reduce the likelihood of bad reviews from fellow players, yes I have been extremely patient with him. Anyway, I apologise for the end of that review turning into a rant but silly Ubisoft! You've ruined the entire game for me by making the worst mission on the game the most glitchy. Argh!

So yes, 7/10!
  52. Jan 11, 2013
    I consider myself to be a great fan of Assassin's Creed Series and to be honest, this game is good but not great as the former 2 parts were. It lacks some of the intriguing missions Altair and Ezio had to investigate, it lacks more interaction with historic characters, it lacks epic battles like the ones we were so used to fight with Ezio, and the magical atmosphere on past, present andI consider myself to be a great fan of Assassin's Creed Series and to be honest, this game is good but not great as the former 2 parts were. It lacks some of the intriguing missions Altair and Ezio had to investigate, it lacks more interaction with historic characters, it lacks epic battles like the ones we were so used to fight with Ezio, and the magical atmosphere on past, present and future is lost. I always felt a deep connection between Desmond Miles and Altair/Ezio, but it's like Connor is from another linage, and it's not 'cause he's american indigenous, I actually believed this condition would be great for developing an interesting storyline that could conclude with the saga satisfyingly, I mean, It is a really rich character full of possibilities among so different cultures, but I only got that from the videogame: "what it could be and it was not". Expand
  53. Jan 10, 2013
    Looking for an Assassin's Creed game? Go somewhere. In previous AC games you had to eavesdrop, sneak and silently Assassinate bad guys. Not anymore just grab a musket and go guns blazing in the field, sneaking happens only a few times, and eagle vision are only used twice. The key word in the title of this game is "Assassin" but you never assassinate anymore. There are of course newLooking for an Assassin's Creed game? Go somewhere. In previous AC games you had to eavesdrop, sneak and silently Assassinate bad guys. Not anymore just grab a musket and go guns blazing in the field, sneaking happens only a few times, and eagle vision are only used twice. The key word in the title of this game is "Assassin" but you never assassinate anymore. There are of course new characters, but they are so poorly made its sad, you will find yourself liking the bad-guy more. the only thing that saves this game is the naval missions. and that's it, the controls are really basic, "RT+RS forward" and the game plays it self.

TL;DR? this AC game is so casual it's on the same level as CoD, Angry Birds and FIFA
  54. Jan 10, 2013
    Assassin's Creed III is a very predictable game, the graphics are really great that
  55. Jan 5, 2013
    A Complete mixed bag, the series has become Errand-boys Creed. If you like AC Multiplayer, scripted events, tones of side missions, one button combat (I dont) you will like this game. If you expected engaging missions, story, characters and epic battles and assassinations, like the trailers showed, you will not like it. PRESENTATION - 7.5 - The game world is authentic, however the storyA Complete mixed bag, the series has become Errand-boys Creed. If you like AC Multiplayer, scripted events, tones of side missions, one button combat (I dont) you will like this game. If you expected engaging missions, story, characters and epic battles and assassinations, like the trailers showed, you will not like it. PRESENTATION - 7.5 - The game world is authentic, however the story and characters fall completely flat. The Native dialogue is also horrendous compared to say, Dances with Wolves or even Pocahontas. DESIGN - 6.5 - There is a lot of hand holding in the earlier missions. While the gameworld is big, side quests plenty, they are mostly pointless. You hardly ever need to buy weapons or upgrade because the game is so easy. With more visual and gameplay glitches than ever, this is the most unpolished and linear of the Creed games. GRAPHICS - 8.0 - Water and weather effects stand out here everything else is starting to look dated, cutscenes are not as well produced as ACII or ACIIB. AUDIO - 7.0 - The lack of Jesper Kyd can be felt here, with a soundtrack more reminiscent of Inception. VO is fine, but the native VO is terrible. GAMEPLAY - 7.5 - Dumbed down and unengaging in every way. There doesn't seem to be any AI at all. The highlights by far are the sea battles, very theatric and intense. LASTING APPEAL - 6.5 - Firstly, the multiplayer, aside form the game world seems to be the best developed section of the game. I find this disheartening since AC for me has always been about the campaign. Sadly, this game is a complete bore, without such a good multiplayer, lasting appeal would have been a 4.0. Expand
  56. Dec 30, 2012
    Yes, the Assassin's Creed III I had high hopes for this one. They were maybe a bit too high, the game wasn't able to deliver everything. The gameplay starts to get repetitive at some point but what the heck. I enjoy the naval battles, I enjoy them a lot. But there is just something that misses. I am not sure if it is the main character Connor, for he hasn't got the charisma of Ezio. Or theYes, the Assassin's Creed III I had high hopes for this one. They were maybe a bit too high, the game wasn't able to deliver everything. The gameplay starts to get repetitive at some point but what the heck. I enjoy the naval battles, I enjoy them a lot. But there is just something that misses. I am not sure if it is the main character Connor, for he hasn't got the charisma of Ezio. Or the constant bugs. Oh the bugs. I almost started to cry at one point. The game is at it's best more than amazing, sadly it can't deliver that amazing feeling all the time. Why would I follow a guy if I could just beat the crap outta him? Oh we'll. at least the combat and moving has been made a lot more fluid. Now it feels like you are controlling a master assassin. Nice work. A nice game, just a bit too bugged and relative perhaps. Expand
  57. Dec 30, 2012
    What is Assassin's Creed 3's core mechanic? Is it stealth? No, because if one enemy spots you, all enemies are instantly aware of your position somehow. Even though there's an indicator for how much an enemy can see you, and it's plenty fun to sneak up behind an enemy, sometimes my character would do something stupid because I didn't press the buttons contextually enough for the gamesWhat is Assassin's Creed 3's core mechanic? Is it stealth? No, because if one enemy spots you, all enemies are instantly aware of your position somehow. Even though there's an indicator for how much an enemy can see you, and it's plenty fun to sneak up behind an enemy, sometimes my character would do something stupid because I didn't press the buttons contextually enough for the games liking, and most of the missions don't involve stealth but when they do it's controller- snappingly obtuse. Is it hack and slash combat? Maybe, because there are plenty enemies in one vicinity at once and jumping in there taking them all out Arkham-style is really fun, but the game wants you to be unnoticed, you know, with the big inconspicuous hood and all, so killing everyone that looks at you funny isn't the optimal solution. Is it the naval missions? No, they're awesome in their own right and I love them, but they only appear in two of the story missions. Well done! You've done a story mission! Now you have the pleasure of being able to do something absolutely **** tedious. So no, AC3 has no core mechanic and remains an unfocused and buggy game throughout. The sidequests are dull too, with the hunting not being rewarded with anything but being pretty cool despite that. Let's just take a look back to Assassin's Creed 1, where it's core mechanic was Assassinating, hence the title. It was repetitive and you spent too much time faffing about, but at least it was a game about assassinating with just a set of tools and a target so you can find your own way to take out the enemy, whatever way you would like too. Over the years, the series has added so many more useless gimmicks that the series has become completely unfocused. I guess I should give credit where credit is due, the combat system being fast, fun and intuitive, the graphics are incredible, the aforementioned naval missions are extremely engaging and I really loved them, the new Assassin's Armour is the best one yet, the overall historical accuracy being, well, historically accurate, the writing is excellent, even though the story is conveluted and barely connected to the original Assassin's Creed story-line, the menu's are really well designed, the free-running is the best I've seen in a game, even though it does get a bit too contextual at times, and it's a fresh departure from the series that takes away the scrambled **** from the previous games. However, the scrambled eggs it took away from the previous games that made them less intuitive and focused, it completely dropped the assassinating bit, so this just becomes an unfocused generic action game, whereas its predecessors were quite original at the time and remained fun whilst also being a bit too easy. This one suffers from being a bit too easy as well, I died most of the time because Connor did something stupid. For an open world sandbox game, this needs to be less contextual, because it gets on my nerves when I cant climb up a wall unless the contextual 'Climb up the wall' button shows up. This was a problem with the previous games as well, I just want to be able to run freely without needing to press the correct button at the correct time. As an Englishman, I felt uncomfortable killng my own men, but I just got used to it over time. See, this is also a problem about the game, its set in a war that's only interesting to American Patriots and to no one else. Connor brutalising Englishman because he's not wearing the same colour as them makes Connor look like the biggest monster of them all, especially when you can't exactly demonize people sodding off later on because they couldn't be bothered any more, or maybe I'm just biased. The French renaissance would of been a much more interesting setting, because in 1775 America, there aren't any big buildings to go free running on and the whole running part is a lot less fun. But at the same time in France there are heads being chopped off, the peasants vs. the Aristocracy, there's a much more believable side you can take without being gung-ho American patriot or gung-ho French patriot. Civil wars are much more interesting, oh, what about the American civil war? Where enough time has gone by for there to be cool buildings to jump around on, war is becoming industrialised, and it's the brutal slave-owning savages of the south vs. the freedom fighting civilised north, and there's a war on so there's plenty of killing for your liking, and hey, they could of had mid-19th century Connor bump fists with Lincoln. Sure, the north outnumbered the south 2:1 but it's better than the boring old redcoats. This game is overall a pretty mixed bag, and if you do consider playing it, don't go in with your expectations too high, like I did. If you go into it with the knowledge that it's an average game, you'll come out feeling satisfied. Expand
  58. Dec 26, 2012
    Not as great as the whole altair and ezio games that came before. Story wise, the prologue was dragged out a bit if you ask me and I hated the ending. But mobility to traverse the world, new hunting system, and missions for the homestead were great.
  59. Dec 24, 2012
    Free roam: 99
    Multi player: 92
    Plot: 80
    Amaze me meter: 76
    Overall: 86
    In Assassins creed standards i was extremely disappointed by this game, but by the normal games this is a solid game. Three saving graces: Graphics, Multi player(surprisingly) and free roam. Liked the game but it still felt like a letdown
  60. Dec 21, 2012
    If you're a fan of the previous Assassin's Creed games, you will most certainly enjoy this and get your money's worth, as it is more of the same. However, the end product feels very rushed and unpolished. It is full of graphical and gameplay glitches, and at times frustrating, hacky level design that will pull you out of the experience. There is little attention to detail. I would hesitateIf you're a fan of the previous Assassin's Creed games, you will most certainly enjoy this and get your money's worth, as it is more of the same. However, the end product feels very rushed and unpolished. It is full of graphical and gameplay glitches, and at times frustrating, hacky level design that will pull you out of the experience. There is little attention to detail. I would hesitate to even call it a triple A title by today's standards.

The story is enjoyable. Everything that takes place within the animus is engrossing and entertaining--however, once again (in my opinion) the Desmond arc is ultimately boring, underwhelming and unfulfilling.
  61. Dec 19, 2012
    The Assassin's Creed series was in desperate need of a change of setting and protagonist. It got one, but the replacements are lackluster. The impressive architecture of Rome/Constantinople has been replaced with 2 story brick houses and the occasional tall tree. As far as storyline, it's as ham-fisted as ever. You're along for the ride at literally every major Revolutionary event but haveThe Assassin's Creed series was in desperate need of a change of setting and protagonist. It got one, but the replacements are lackluster. The impressive architecture of Rome/Constantinople has been replaced with 2 story brick houses and the occasional tall tree. As far as storyline, it's as ham-fisted as ever. You're along for the ride at literally every major Revolutionary event but have no real reason to be, all the while being preached at by various characters. Connor, being half-Native American, could have been a really interesting character, but after the introductory sequences his heritage is almost never brought up again. Controls are very awkward, and I found myself getting stuck on small objects and corners, and if I was on a horse is was almost faster if I just went on foot. Combat is simplistic enough that you could probably play it on an old NES controller, which might be a good thing considering how freaking many guards there are walking around. Seriously, it's about a 1/1 ratio of civilians to guards in major towns. The only real bright spots I found were the naval battles (I enjoyed them enough that I could almost see an expanded version of them being a standalone game) and the character of Haytham. Wading through the snow during winter was also a nice touch. Expand
  62. Dec 15, 2012
    Assassin's Creed III really has certain aspects that make it amazing, it is beautiful, the story really draws you in (you'll actually care about your objectives), and it has some really creative ideas. I rented the game even though I had heard some very colorful choices of words about it. I though they were all exaggerating, naturally as I thought the ability to make a disappointingAssassin's Creed III really has certain aspects that make it amazing, it is beautiful, the story really draws you in (you'll actually care about your objectives), and it has some really creative ideas. I rented the game even though I had heard some very colorful choices of words about it. I though they were all exaggerating, naturally as I thought the ability to make a disappointing Assassin's Creed game wasn't technologically possible yet. I was wrong, this game is a huge disappointment when compared to it's amazing and ingenious predecessors. The combat wasn't terrible but it was very limiting and confusing because of the LACK of things to do and choose from. Upgrading was a huge part of AC2+ and was one of the best parts of the game, collecting rare and powerful armors/weapons to fill my stores intrigued me. Don't get me wrong, it is definitely still possible to get different weapons and OUTFITS, but it is a pointless waste of time. The game is piss easy if you have a double digit IQ, run from enemies until your health returns enough to slaughter 30-40 enemies with ease. I found only 2 missions challenging me in any way what so ever, the one where you kill Pitcairne and when you are chasing Charles Lee in the final mission. But more then just challenge you, they jumped you, they are missions that will be the breaking point of many players due to the fact the game doesn't prepare you for any sort of difficulty. Not to mention the lack of choice on our part about how to go about the missions. In AC2, you literally got to choose how you did every single mission, there was multiple ways to do them all. But in AC3 you have 1 set mapped course you practically HAVE to take or you'll absolutely fail. The art was beautiful though most of the time, but I found myself cringing at the sudden implementing of playstation 1 graphics at some points, such as when jumping through the window to get the guy planning Washington's assassination it literally looked like something off a playstation 1. This is only one of the many points where it surprises you. It's not a game breaking problem obviously as the beautiful world outside those couple points plenty makes up for it. But I felt it was worth mentioning. There is of course the story which was very very creative in my mind except for Connor himself. Connor came off as EXACTLY what everyone called him, Naive and gullible, and overall blind to the world around him. He quickly switched sides with a few kind/harsh words and was very quick to anger and betray. A single thing out of place and he immediately assumed the worst and never investigated further, and even if the investigating was done for him and handed to him on a silver platter he would still hold hostility towards the person that he had a misunderstanding with. Overall the worst assassin to date, possessing no qualities and a VERY disappointing ending. At first I thought he was going to forgive Charles Lee and make himself look at least a little good. But it is also clear in the story where he got his stupidity from as his father was openly shown betrayal by Charles Lee and still defended him with his life. But other then the unlikable characters, the overall story was okay, the betrayal by Haytham was interesting, considering an assassin traitor was only mentioned one time before in the first game, and NEVER has an assassin betrayed the assassin's for the templars (obviously excluding Lucy as we'll never know her true intentions considering we found out Juno who killed her is now clearly untrustworthy.). The climbing/free running mechanics which were supposed to have been smoother and better controlled, were terrible to say the least, I often found myself running up a wall 5 feet away when chasing someone and taking the slow route when climbing over things (yes I'm aware of pressing A right before you get to an object makes him go over it faster, but the timing needed is crazy if you don't get it JUST right you'll end up jumping into it and making it take EVEN longer. Over all this game is nothing compared to it's predecessors even though it had some awesome new features there were a ton of bad ones introduced as well. Expand
  63. Dec 13, 2012
    I really don't recommend buying this game full price, maybe buying cheaper, but for $ 60,00, it isn't worth this price. The game is unfinished, they wasted too much time on the engine and graphics, so there wasn't money and time left for adding, you know? Gameplay. The missions are linear, scripted, short, and unchallenging, even Assassins creed I is better than this game and I hatedI really don't recommend buying this game full price, maybe buying cheaper, but for $ 60,00, it isn't worth this price. The game is unfinished, they wasted too much time on the engine and graphics, so there wasn't money and time left for adding, you know? Gameplay. The missions are linear, scripted, short, and unchallenging, even Assassins creed I is better than this game and I hated Assassins Creed I. The side activities are pointless, I got bored very quickly when I discovered that most side missions required of me to watch two or more loading screens, walk half the map to just beat a random dude or to do a simple fetch quest to some generic NPC. The game is just a big interactive movie, the story is decent, but is no way as good as assssin's creed II . I really don't understand, why Ubisoft want to turn all their games into interactive movies. Do you like interactive movies? Buy Walking dead instead (the story is way better and its cheaper too). Do you like open world games? Better games for you: Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Read Dead Redemption. Do you really want to buy an assassins creed game? Buy assassins creed II (it's still a game an not an interactive movie, will not bore you to death with endless cutscenes, the story is way better). Really want to buy this game? Better buy used or wait for the price to drop. If you buy this game for $ 60,00, you are just wasting your money and if this game sales are good, I fear for the future of the franchise. Expand
  64. Dec 8, 2012
    An enjoyable experience but with a few frustrations. I couldn't help but feel the entire frontier area, and the Red-Dead-esque hunting mechanics really tacked on and unnecessary. More time could have went in to creating more scalable areas, as the tree climbing elements of the frontier areas fall incredibly short.

The setting, i.e Revolutionary America, is interesting to me as somebody

The setting, i.e Revolutionary America, is interesting to me as somebody from a British audience, and I don't think there is another game out there where you can hang Tories, but I feel as if there could have been a far better choice of setting this time round. Revolutionary France would have been just as interesting, and provided a much wider variety of interesting architecture to scale and explore. As it is, 1770's America doesn't offer a great deal by way of climbing.

As per usual, the meta-story set in the present is hackneyed and uninteresting, though the main plot allows this to stand up on its own. The dynamic between Connor and his son is interesting, though rather reminiscent of Star Wars.

Combat mechanics are alright, but just 'alright'. As with previous titles I still don't feel incentivised to use many of the varying weapons.

Visuals are stunning, but frame-rates noticeably drop on the ageing 360. The Opera House scene at the very beginning of the game demonstrates this, as does the Manor and Desmond areas. It seems more like poor optimisation (or even an intentional effect?) but is quite frustrating.
  65. Dec 7, 2012
    Assassin's Creed III is a disappointing new instalment in the Assassin's Creed series; though having a good story, it is ruined by bland graphics, not so likeable characters, plenty of bugs and a hit and miss ending. This is one of the weakest instalments, but better than Revelations.
  66. Dec 6, 2012
    K LikE g00d game but like why is their old guns??!?!?!?!?!?! I want my m14's!!!!! Like evry Game these days ha m14's and rpgs but this gam DOESNT! Lol imma o back to cod
  67. Dec 6, 2012
    I can't even progress into the game and from what i have played from a rental so far it isn't living up to the previous installments. Popular video games seem to all being going the duirection of an interactive cinematic. Anyways, why i can't progress I am assuming is a glitch. Suppose to shoot these TNT barrels but when it is time to do the simple instructions which lock you into the modeI can't even progress into the game and from what i have played from a rental so far it isn't living up to the previous installments. Popular video games seem to all being going the duirection of an interactive cinematic. Anyways, why i can't progress I am assuming is a glitch. Suppose to shoot these TNT barrels but when it is time to do the simple instructions which lock you into the mode with no way to back out the hand cannon decides to just vanish from your arsenal with no way to fire with any buttons or confangled puzzle solving. Restarting didn't even seem to fix it. Maybe I am missing this complicated procedure in a seemingly washed out monkey finger game. Expand
  68. Dec 2, 2012
    I pre-ordered this game with high expectations. Being on the "AC wagon" since the first I greatly enjoyed the games and the trailers led me to believe this I would enjoy this as well and I did, sort of. The major changes that come with any new addition, characters, setting, game play features are all here with some being exceptional e.g. the 1700 setting of America is great with the citiesI pre-ordered this game with high expectations. Being on the "AC wagon" since the first I greatly enjoyed the games and the trailers led me to believe this I would enjoy this as well and I did, sort of. The major changes that come with any new addition, characters, setting, game play features are all here with some being exceptional e.g. the 1700 setting of America is great with the cities being believable in size and scope, the graphics are good but are riddled with multiple annoying bugs. The game play is good but the oversimplification of things proves to create a whole suite of difficulties rather than fix anything. The freerunning now needs one button but is easier to screw up, the combat is again easier than ever with the only difficulty coming when you have to use X to attack Y because Z wont work, crafting is never really explained because its not essential so there is no need to really get the best weapons because the starter stuff does ok and the whole recruit thing is done so you have to liberate places to get more but i got by with only two and hardly used them. And there is the story which is a mixed bag because it starts interesting and flops for a few hours and starts to really pick up at the end for it to just fizzle out again. This combined with the inconsistently fun missions and "full sync" achievements it proves that more isn't better. The good is everything else we expect from A.C. and the inclusions of naval battles, weather effects, logical use of firearms, e.t.c. I'll wrap this up with I liked the game and I'm a real lover of AC games but this didn't amaze me like the jump to ACII instead if you're on the fence about this, yeah you'll probably already have it if you love AC but if not this wouldn't really make you go wow as its not the best inclusion in this series and kind of confusing. By itself it doesn't really rank up with other great games out there that delivered what was promised.

7.0 Good
    +All the good of AC +Good new inclusions +Bang for your buck

-Oversimplification of things
    -Story falls flat at times
    -Inconsistent mission fun level
    -Missed opportunity
  69. Dec 2, 2012
    AC III it's a bad story, a bad character and many bugs, many many bugs. Is this a Beta ? This game is a shame for every fan. The end of the Desmond story arc is just confused. Lame. Boring. But with superb graphics... well... not enough to make a good game.
  70. Nov 30, 2012
    They managed to take Assassin's Creed and limit the fun parts of gameplay and focus almost exclusively on the story. To put it simply, this game feels like a (boring) movie that makes you do all the leg work. You're probably not playing this game to tie down the rigging on a ship or needlessly escort characters to multiple houses (with no action in between) for a 20 minute mission--butThey managed to take Assassin's Creed and limit the fun parts of gameplay and focus almost exclusively on the story. To put it simply, this game feels like a (boring) movie that makes you do all the leg work. You're probably not playing this game to tie down the rigging on a ship or needlessly escort characters to multiple houses (with no action in between) for a 20 minute mission--but that's what you'll get. This game was a pretty big disappointment. It takes about an hour and a half just to get to the beginning of the real gameplay (where they show "ASSASSIN's CREED) on the screen. Even at the point, you have to start over with another character and do some mundane tasks like playing hide and seek with kids--this is where the game should've started. Expand
  71. Nov 28, 2012
    Meh. I had a hard time completing this one. Graphics were good, fighting was pretty good, sorry was ho hum. The glitches... And so early on in the game. One of the first missions I took cover and flew straight up into the air and fell to my death. Amusing, but annoying from a AAA game. I would say rent it but you probably won't finish it. I expected much better I suppose.
  72. Nov 28, 2012
    The Assassin's Creed series has always been one for great story telling, impressive graphics and enjoyable game play. Assassin's Creed 3 is a solid, enjoyable game, but fails to achieve the same levels of satisfaction or quality of prior games in the series. AC3 does still have a brilliant story backed up with interesting historical facts (as long as you can learn to read between theThe Assassin's Creed series has always been one for great story telling, impressive graphics and enjoyable game play. Assassin's Creed 3 is a solid, enjoyable game, but fails to achieve the same levels of satisfaction or quality of prior games in the series. AC3 does still have a brilliant story backed up with interesting historical facts (as long as you can learn to read between the lines of fact and fiction). For the majority of the game you play Connor Kenway, a native American who's father is a British Templar. Throughout the campaign you will earn your Assassin's garb, traverse the colonial US cities of New York and Boston along with a vast wilderness, engage pirates on the high seas and assassinate some very naughty people. I commend Ubisoft for their approach to the story, they could have easily turned it into a British hate fest like the god awful Mel Gibson film "The Patriot" but they didn't. They craft believable characters in a believable world, while the main enemy are the Redcoats and the Templars it's not always this clear cut. There are allies and enemies on both sides. Free running is as exhilarating as ever (despite the odd hiccup that will have you cursing), the combat is satisfying but feels dumbed-down if you are used to previous games in the series. Hunting animals for resources and sailing the Aquila Assassin ship on various sea missions add brilliant new mechanics to the series, raiding forts, ambushing patrols and taking on crowds of bad guys are very enjoyable. There are optional objectives for the story missions, some are fun but others just feel so counter productive often coming close to conflicting with the main objective. A good example of this comes late on in the game where you have to chase "Bad guy A", your objective is to chase him down and question him. The optional objective is "do not shove anyone", this includes your target (you have to tackle him, even though tackling and shoving both have the same end result of him on the floor not running). A lot of the time the game also never tells you of certain optional objectives until you have failed them, so this resulted in me chasing him around for an hour while people got in my way before realising I could tackle him.The stealth in the game does take a hit from the lack of a crouch button, you will auto crouch in long grass but as soon as this ends you stand bolt upright which doesn't help if you are sneaking around areas heavily guarded by enemies, you might as well shout down a megaphone announcing your arrival. I never played the series for its multiplayer but I gave it a brief go here and in AC: Brotherhood, it feels solid and makes a nice change from the usual capture the flag and deathmatch of most online games. AC3 is a good game, but if you have played AC: Brotherhood, you will notice how much was removed and ask yourself "why did it take 3 years to make this game that has less features?". If you haven't played an Assassin's Creed game before, this game will definitely keep you entertained but I recommend you play the previous games in the series so you don't miss out on the overall story and in some cases better gameplay. Expand
  73. Nov 28, 2012
    I think this is the best AC developed to date. The story line was very good, it felt like a movie where you had to play to watch more. The only complaint i have with this title is the many glitches throughout the game. The horse gets stuck, characters dont follow script, you can pickpocket anyone without getting cought. Also the enemies are way to easy to kill, literally i can take onI think this is the best AC developed to date. The story line was very good, it felt like a movie where you had to play to watch more. The only complaint i have with this title is the many glitches throughout the game. The horse gets stuck, characters dont follow script, you can pickpocket anyone without getting cought. Also the enemies are way to easy to kill, literally i can take on twenty groups of redcoats and never die. Even with these problems the game is still worth adding to your collection, you will enjoy it. Expand
  74. Nov 25, 2012
    The combat in this game flows so well, it almost feels like a cinematic. That said, it's about as difficult as watching a cinematic. All would be forgiven if the plot were as awesome as the previous titles. It's not.
  75. Nov 25, 2012
    Terrible story, very bad voice acting, pathetic cut scenes BUT a very well designed open world, many side nice missions and challenges and a LOT to do.
  76. Nov 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ...Continues from previous comment:

What I didn't like:
    - The LAG: It is the first thing you notice when you start playing the game, do not lie to yourselves guys, this games lags, and it does it horribly. How can this happen in 2012? When you get to Boston or New york the game is almost unplayable, all immersive feeling towards the game you might have achieved absolutely breaks up when you see that painfull, unforgivable lag.
    -The glitches:Unforgivable Ubisoft... glitches in this game are a bad joke.
    - The fight system: somethings are better, the blood is great, but i HATE the camera; character seems so far away when you're fighting and you wish you cold just look closer. Besides, you get a feeling of "Arkham city" with this new fighting system, one button magically blocks the attack, and then you can counter. If that was the intention, let me tell you that Assassin's Creed never needed to copy or imitate another game's fighting system... well, that's how I felt when playing it.
    - Too much running: The missions were like: Frontier to Boston, Boston to frontier, frontier to New york, New york to frontier, Frontier to homestead, homestead to frontier, frontier to boston, and so ON, it was like they were forcing you to go through the world over and over for you to see how wonderful it was, or using fast travel everytime, but there's no fun in that either...
    - Besides the incredibly BIG setting, you feel limited at times. I wish I could haev thrown the tomahawk, wish you could choose between leaving the hood on or off with a button, felt limited when switching weapons cause it took too much time for example to pick the horse to be able to whistle and call it. Thought the round weapon invetory system of previous games was easier to use.
    - Too many cutscenes (spoiler): If you have beaten the game, you know that you don't kill the bad guy, you watch Connor kill the bad guy in a cutscene... what's up with that?? - Atmosphere: You never feel quite as "inside the game's world" as with previous assassin's creed games where setting and music and graphics combined perfectly while pulling you into the middle of this incredible world.
    - Short story: From Brotherhood on i have always felt these games are way too short. Being able to explore and hunt for hours or have a lot of fun in multiplayer shouldn't compensate for a short story.
    - Desmond: since revelations he is getting uglier. Looks like a completely different person.
    -Horses: It has always bugged me that you can't go faster when horsebackriding inside a city or town, it is ridiculous. Same with not being able to run inside some taverns, it is way too frustrating to have to walk slow because the game wants you to.

What i liked about AC3:

-New running system: Feels more real to run with connor, and it is great to jump between trees.
    -The frontier/Homestead: running through the open field is a charm, you fell free, in contact with nature, away from the noise of the cities and the guards chasing you. It's where I usually hang out when i've had a stressful day.
    -Naval Warfare: In one word: AWESOME.
    -Animals, children: Everything feels much more alive and real when you put animals and children in it. Previously we got to see only adults and horses...
    - Seasons: the depth of snow is great among other cool things about having seasons. And also the rain and thunder is a really good addition to the series.
    - Character development: I agree game starts painfully slow, but it is cool to see how Connor grows up and becomes an Assassin. Although you feel like it is a proggressive development, in the end you feel like you become an Assassin way too fast when you're told "Ok, you can wear the suit now".
    -Peaking through corners: great! only thing left is being able to crouch and move more stealthy.
    -Everything about the landscapes, cities, forests, trees, grass, houses, fences, sky, water... too bad it lags like hell.
    -Locking system: well it's not a great improvement but i like to run sometimes with the close camera, gives it another 3rd person perspective.
    -Blending: great job with this, it's so much simpler to blend almost anywhere.

There might be other things I'm forgetting right now, but as for now I hope the patch Ubisoft is offering fixes all that it says it will, and I also hope it helps a little with the excessive lag, which is what bothers me the most about this game.

Thank you for reading, waiting for AC4 now.
  77. Nov 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So I just finished Assassin's Creed 3... um... really guys? That's how you end it? I mean really?! I mean I didn't think it could get any worse after limping my way to a bar and anticlimactically killing Charles Lee (The main all-powerful bad guy in the game) by simply leaning over casually and stabbing him, but it did... So a global aurora borealis happens and then whaaa?! Nothing?! Just credits and a glimpse of the mountain alien/A.I./whatever as it walks off chiding about it's victory? I know that may seem cryptic, but that's how it fuggin ends folks! Sorry if I'm ruining this for anyone but this game deserves to be ruined. It deserves it because it soiled the hours I put into completing the great 2/3 of the game I did like.

So right before you chase down Charles Lee, through a horribly scripted burning boat scene, I'd advise anyone playing this game right now to eject the game disc, smash it, and then send the remains to "I wonder why were going bankrupt? Oh yeah..." Ubisoft. Because that would be an infinitely better ending than the one they eventually give you.

Oh yeah and **** pivots. C+
  78. Nov 18, 2012
    Pros-
    Navel battles are **** awesome
    So much details and Thematic Period Environments Extensive and Fully Featured Multiplayer Modes Great Cinematics and well Voice Acting Cons- The **** Blinding White Loading Screens pissed me off All Major Set Piece Battles are Disappointing and its not like the trailers Pointless Side Activities seriously they are just pointless Terrible
    Pros-

Terrible Ending to Desmond Storyline FUUUUCCCCKK SAKES
    Rooftop gameplay diminished GRRRRRRRRRRR
    but overall this game was good i give it a 7/10
  79. Nov 18, 2012
    I like the game, i'm a huge AC fan, bought all the games, love the cultural background, I find the timeline in which the back ground fascinating.

This game however really disappointed me, because really, who cares about the American revolution other than Americans? I find myself instantly losing interest the moment I heard about the setting, but I bought the game anyways in support of my favorite game title. Now, I haven't finished the game yet but I'm rather close, I like the gameplay, but the story leaves much to be desired.

If you like AC for it's action packed joyride then this game is for you.
    If you liked AC's historical content, then you'd be better playing the second one
  80. Nov 17, 2012
    I first of all have to say that I had really high hopes for this game. The first AC did not really strike my interest but it did intrigue me enough to give ACII a try and I was blown away. Then ACII:B came out and I was hooked. The combat was fun, the stories were awesome and Ezio was a fantastic protagonist. Then when Revelations stumbled a bit I thought it was just a bump in the road.I first of all have to say that I had really high hopes for this game. The first AC did not really strike my interest but it did intrigue me enough to give ACII a try and I was blown away. Then ACII:B came out and I was hooked. The combat was fun, the stories were awesome and Ezio was a fantastic protagonist. Then when Revelations stumbled a bit I thought it was just a bump in the road. Boy was I wrong. ACIII comes out of the gate limping. The graphics might be beautiful but they are only skin deep as pop ins and texture tearing is rampant.

Then there are the glitches...Oh the numerous, numerous glitches. From getting stuck in a pile of hay to watching a guard fly into the stratosphere the glitches are everywhere and range from funny, a woman spawning into the back of a cart and being dragged along, to game breaking, finding Connor frozen in place while his target gleefully runs away. The glitches could be forgiven if it wasn't for the fact that these two examples appeared AFTER the day one patch. That's right, after Ubisoft claimed they were fixing the numerous issues I got the pleasure of having the game break several times.

The there is the story and characters. The AC franchise has been a series that has done a tremendous job of transporting gamers to unique locations, and while this one is no exception, the Colonies in 1775 are beautiful and full of life, the story and characters come off lacking. Connor is in no way shape or form a replacement for the charismatic and dangerous Ezio. Where as Ezio was charming and roguish and likable, Connor is quiet, easily angered and all around just bland. He continually asks characters, "what would you have me do," a number of times while having paper thin motivations. I find it troubling when the side characters in a game highlight just how bland and boring our main character is. I found myself wanting to play as Samuel Adams, at least he has a range in his vocalizations and has clear motivations.

This seems to be ACIII's problem, it looks the part and is trying to convince you that it is the next step in the franchise but its motivations are all over the place. The combat is fun, if a bit too familiar (Arkham City) and the ship battles are fantastic. But for every step forward the game takes two, even three steps back. Why is it that I am doing eavesdropping missions when they were one of the worst gameplay aspects of the FIRST AC?! Also why is it that AC:B and Revelations gave me more options to complete missions where as ACIII punishes you for not completing a mission precisely how the developers planned it? For freedom it seems a bit constrained.

Which brings me to the 100% sync. Introduced in Brotherhood, this was a clever way to challenge players. In Brotherhood and Revelations it was just that, a challenge. In ACIII 100% sync becomes a tedious almost torturous chore and goes to highlight the broken gameplay mechanics and a number of irritating glitches. If I am supposed to kill my target without anyone noticing don't make it so my hidden blades alert every damn guard in Boston! It goes to frustrating even further when you realize that you cannot complete epilogue missions without getting 100% sync, which means that as a fan of the franchise, if you want to see the real 100% ending of the game you have to do the OPTIONAL side objectives. Ubisoft, don't make something optional and then purposely withhold content from the ending of the game. The 100% sync options come off as cheap and lazy, as though the developers added them in at random to flesh out bare boned missions. I really wanted to love this game, so much so that I thought I could hail it as a huge leap for the franchise, much as ACII was from AC. But that was not to be. Instead I came away from ACIII feeling as though three years of development and anticipation evaporated into a cloud of mediocrity. ACIII is in no way a revolution, it is more a slight step forward with a bum leg and an eye patch. Here is hoping we don't have to see two more games of Connor before we truly get the next huge step for the franchise.
  81. Nov 17, 2012
    Assassin's Creed 3 - which is actually the fifth game in the whole story arc - is said to be Ubisofts biggest game to date. With huge anticipation and expectation from fans, can Ubisoft deliver on the revolution they have promised to the franchise?

Continuing right after Assassin's Creed Revelation left off, Desmond Miles and crew has set camp in an ancient cave where Desmond can relive the life of his ancestors. In the new setting of the colonial America, we follow Connor, a Mohawk Indian who will become the next assassin. Compared to all the protagonists, Connor is the weakest of them all. He is short spoken, never in a positive mood and is just overall an un compelling main character, but without spoiling anything, Connor is not the only character you will play as.

To be able to walk around 1700's Amerika is impressive and also as beautiful are all the forest. Its just a shame that the game has to load so often and these frequent loading screens will break the immersion. Gameplay wise, Assassins Creed 3 is much of the same. You can still climb the rooftops of Boston and New York, but its not as fun as in the previous games. The colonial America dosn't have as high and fabulous architecture as the Italian renaissance had. But to make up for it, you can for the first time in the franchise to climb on trees. Sadly, it dosent have the same flow as climbing buildings which can make it annoying.

The multyplayer is back and its good as ever. To be able to find and sneak up on your target before another player kills you have never been so heart pumping and fun. With perks to unlock and new gamemodes like Wolfpack - Assassin's Creed version of horde mode - will make you come back many times.

Probably the best addition to this game are the naval battles. To controll your ship, navigating the winds to catch up on your foes and then take them down with your cannons might be the best moments in this game. But with everything new, the game has lost focus of one of the most important aspects. The assassination. It has become less about finding an killing your target before getting seen. There is still some of that in here but not as much as it should.

Beating Assassins Creed 3 can take you 20 hours or so and more if you spend time completing side quests and playing the multyplayer. Even if the setting is nice, sailing your ship through dangerous waters and playing the multyplayer, there are many aspects to discourage players. It takes to long for the game to really begin, it can feel repetitive, the loading occurs to often, the economy system is broken and Connor is sont fun to hang out with. But despite the flaws, Assassins Creed 3 is still a good game. Its not the masterpiece we had hoped for but it is still fun to play. But dont feel surprised if you feel to play the older instalments instead.
  82. Nov 16, 2012
    Assassin's Creed III is a very fun at times predictable game. The graphics are great the storyline is decent but the thing about AC3 that troubles me is the glitches and the ending but I'm not going to talk about that because of Spoiling it for someone, the other thing about it is the stealth mode where its sometimes rediciouls than anyone would spot an assassin in the grass but overall IAssassin's Creed III is a very fun at times predictable game. The graphics are great the storyline is decent but the thing about AC3 that troubles me is the glitches and the ending but I'm not going to talk about that because of Spoiling it for someone, the other thing about it is the stealth mode where its sometimes rediciouls than anyone would spot an assassin in the grass but overall I will say that AC3 is a good game and one of the best this year. Expand
  83. Nov 13, 2012
    Assassins creed 3 is a bit hit and miss in many of the areas which make up this game. Ubisoft has done a large amount of changes to the game in order to improve upon it, with multiple characters to play as throughout the story, an increased world size and possibly my favourite addition, Pirate ship battles.

However, for all of these improvements, many of the faults of the past games

However, for all of these improvements, many of the faults of the past games return, such as initially exciting, but ultimately tedious and easy combat, repetitive mission structure and a bit of a flawed story at times. I would have given this an 8, possibly a 9, but the plot near the end was dissapointing. so much so that it made me ponder why i had played through the series.

However, this game is still fun to play through, and has a relatively decent length of 14 hours for my playthrough. My review is based purely on the single player elements as I have not been able to play the multiplayer element for a variety of reasons.
  84. Nov 12, 2012
    Hmmmm.... Where to begin! As a fan of the Assassins Creed series I was expecting more from AC3. The first game was hard to get through because it was so repetitive but from then on the series has improved with each game. Ezio is one of my favourite game characters of all time, he's cool and has a charm, he's likeable, unlike Connor. Which brings me onto the 1st problem with the game; theHmmmm.... Where to begin! As a fan of the Assassins Creed series I was expecting more from AC3. The first game was hard to get through because it was so repetitive but from then on the series has improved with each game. Ezio is one of my favourite game characters of all time, he's cool and has a charm, he's likeable, unlike Connor. Which brings me onto the 1st problem with the game; the main man, the guy you have to put up with the whole game, he's boring, I don't like him. If I were to compare the characters, Ezio would be a Bugatti Veyron; fast and exciting, whereas Connor would be a cardboard box; yes he's useful but he's so bland and monotone! Before I go any further I will say that I'm only about 6-7 hours into the game so this is just my thoughts so far but seriously, there is enough to not like ALREADY!

One thing I've heard a lot about is the glitches.... and there are a lot. When you look at the shear size of something like Skyrim you can forgive the glitches but I just can't see past them in AC3 when the other games have been relatively "glitch-free" in my experience. On one occasion I was looking for a bear to kill and after finding one and getting into a bit of man vs. bear, it got stuck in a tree! It was just there, walking around on the spot in a tree! Another noticeable glitch was on a recent mission where I walked up behind 2 guards to perform a double kill which not only failed, resulting in me only killing one guard, the other guard just walked away! He didn't even blink! One other glitch saw me jump out of a tree to assassinate a rabbit/hare, which promptly ran away and left me free falling through the ground into emptiness! I expect more considering the standards set with the previous games. Other things that I think have been ruined slightly is the free running. Now you can just run by holding the right trigger and he will stop if he comes to a jump that he can't make or a drop that is too high. Personally, that takes away some of the skill. Previously I had to control Ezio carefully otherwise I could jump to my death, which to be honest adds some realism to the game. This is now not possible because Connor is a **** Also when climbing buildings previously you could use the A button to jump to a higher ledge that you couldn't normally reach, which involved a little bit of timing but now this is automatic, again something I'm disappointed about. My major gripe is the health regeneration which I think makes the game just too easy. It is almost impossible to die in a fight because if you are low on health you can sit back and hold B, which parries almost every attack automatically without any timing needed, wait until your health regenerates (which is pretty quick) and carry on fighting. It now takes away the need to run away from anyone to buy some medicine or visit a doctor, you can just walk around kicking ass and regenerating health without a care in the world. It's not all bad, there are some good things. The game is visually stunning for one. Climbing to the top of a building and admiring the view is something you may find yourself doing from time to time. The weather is brilliant too, especially when a thunderstorm hits. I also like the addition of the Rope Dart which is kind of like a lasso which you can use to pull enemies closer, drag them off of their horse or hang them from a chimney! There's also some open ocean missions where you take to the sea at the helm of a ship, firing cannons and engaging in naval warfare which I have found exciting and quite enjoyable, not to mention very impressive to the look at. You do get to control Desmond a little bit more but only time will tell if you get to control him as much as I would like. When AC3 was first announced I wanted it to be focused on Desmond. Running around New York, scaling buildings and the like would be brilliant.

Lastly, the game is very slow to get going. It's only just got going for me so hopefully my rating will improve, but at the moment it's scraping a 7 out of 10.
  85. Nov 11, 2012
    Single player:
    Single player:
    Games are basically interactive movies at this point. In a movie, you would not have a character get built up like he is going to have one hell of a fight ahead of him and then not have a payoff at the end. That would be piss poor writing (or The Great White Hype). The problem is, that is what this movie does. Ezio was supposed to be teaching Desmond how to become a world class assassin. Instead, we get an ending with no payoff for all the work Desmond has put in. Just a bland ending to the "trilogy".

Multiplayer:
    Some refinements have been made to the multiplayer. If you liked the previous installments, chances are, you are going to like this one.
  86. Nov 11, 2012
    If I were to rank the games in order I would put assassins creed 2 at the top, brotherhood second, assassins creed 1 third, this game 4th, and revelations 5th. The game could be summarized as mediocre. Setting: The main story contains large detailed maps, but the problem is that it doesn't have any large buildings to climb like in assassins creed 2 and brotherhood or even revelations,If I were to rank the games in order I would put assassins creed 2 at the top, brotherhood second, assassins creed 1 third, this game 4th, and revelations 5th. The game could be summarized as mediocre. Setting: The main story contains large detailed maps, but the problem is that it doesn't have any large buildings to climb like in assassins creed 2 and brotherhood or even revelations, not only that the game doesn't have that beautiful setting like Venice, I really loved Venice in assassins creed 2, it's a very colorful place, plenty of fun things in the game. Puzzles. Assassins creed 2 had tons of puzzles and they revealed pieces of a truth that was really fun. Every time I completed one i looked at what I've gathered to add more to this truth story, more importantly the puzzles had history to them and conspiracy theories, it actually gets pretty creepy. Brotherhood did the same but not to the same extent. So far I have not found anything like this, but I'm guessing they didn't do it...

Story: It's ok, Gameplay: not as many personal assassinations. I find myself in a lot of missions where you have to run in and kill all the guards like a wild man, no stealth at all. I like putting in multiple objectives though. There are a lot of bugs, I sometimes find my character spazzing out and just standing still and taking hits. The health system is lousy, it's basically assassins creed 1, no potions, regenerate health. The combat system is probably the worst of all the games, and here is why, you have the occasional QUICK **** TIME EVENTS. I just finished resident evil 6 and at this point i never want to touch QTE AGAIN. But lo and behold this game had to put that in the game. It's not as many as RE6 but seriously, why the hell did they do this? Why does the world think QTE = gameplay??? Seriously the combat could be interpreted as QTE. Wolf attacks you, game prompts O, you hit O, then prompts square. It feels like god of war like QTE, but the thing about god of war is that you aren't forced to do QTE, that's only if you choose to grab. Side missions: There are plenty of those, so that's good.

Some of the bugs ive seen: People talking without moving their mouths in a cutscene, guard who wont die, my character spazzing out. One of the three will happen every hour.

There was this one part where you have to be an eagle and follow another fire eagle... here we witness something I like to call "Crazy Camera Mode." You get to this one point where you hit the mountains and a white light comes and next thing you know you see winter trees right in front of you. It's **** how the camera works here. Graphics are fine, nothing new though

Overall it gets a 6/10. It has a lot of problems but nothing makes it unplayable.
  87. Nov 11, 2012
    Running around the frontier and hunting is pretty fun as is fighting massive amounts of enemies at one time. The graphics are incredible. The story itself is quite boring, and after a while I found myself not even caring. All the collectibles are more rewarding to find than in any of the other past games. One bad thing is the tomahawk you start with is extremely powerful, so there reallyRunning around the frontier and hunting is pretty fun as is fighting massive amounts of enemies at one time. The graphics are incredible. The story itself is quite boring, and after a while I found myself not even caring. All the collectibles are more rewarding to find than in any of the other past games. One bad thing is the tomahawk you start with is extremely powerful, so there really is no need to upgrade your weapons at all like the past games. I always enjoy the Assassin's creed games regardless because I enjoy just running around and climbing. This is probably the second to worst in the series, right ahead of Brotherhood. If you are a fan of the series, just ignore the nay-sayers and get it, but don't expect too much or you will be let down. Expand
  88. Nov 11, 2012
    As I was playing Assassins Creed 3 I realised that all of the oranges I had in my fruit bowl had started to go green and furry looking.
    Like Tennis balls.
    Tennis balls that emit a strange smell. As a man of science I can only presume that this occurred by way of radiation emitted by Assassins Creed 3. In summation, do not under any circumstances allow Assassins Creed 3 near your bowl
    Like Tennis balls.
    Tennis balls that emit a strange smell.

In summation, do not under any circumstances allow Assassins Creed 3 near your bowl of oranges.
  89. Nov 10, 2012
    While this was my second favorite AC game in respect to the story, I was disappointed by some major aspects of the gameplay. I do not think it was necessary to have a ridiculous number of homestead quests while the world was full of glitches. Ubisoft could have fixed those and saved us from the monotony of those side missions. Falling through the world and having achievements broken toWhile this was my second favorite AC game in respect to the story, I was disappointed by some major aspects of the gameplay. I do not think it was necessary to have a ridiculous number of homestead quests while the world was full of glitches. Ubisoft could have fixed those and saved us from the monotony of those side missions. Falling through the world and having achievements broken to the point of needing to replay the entire game are not fun (only to name two of the many mentioned by others). This game could have earned a 9-10, but overlooked problems hurt how this title will be remembered. Time outside of the main story was spent in the wrong places. If you are a huge AC fan, wait to buy this until they fix the problems or you will risk having a poor experience. Expand
  90. Nov 9, 2012
    Good performance by Ubisoft, but was not worth all the hype it received. The game is very fun, but eventually, some missions get boring and the game is full of glitches and bugs. The game starts off slow, but gets good overtime, but has a near-impossible last mission. Still a buy in the AC series.
  91. Nov 9, 2012
    Assassin's Creed 3 is exactly what people should have expected. This game should not have been hyped nearly as much as it was. It is just as good if not slightly better than revelations. Don't expect something as innovative, charming, or impressive as Assassin's Creed 2. If you enjoyed Revelations or have followed the entire series and don't mind more of the same with shinier graphics; BUYAssassin's Creed 3 is exactly what people should have expected. This game should not have been hyped nearly as much as it was. It is just as good if not slightly better than revelations. Don't expect something as innovative, charming, or impressive as Assassin's Creed 2. If you enjoyed Revelations or have followed the entire series and don't mind more of the same with shinier graphics; BUY THIS GAME IMMEDIATELY! But if you are anything like me and are sick of these uninspired sequels to the once great series known as Assassin's Creed; then leave it alone. Don't even wait for the price to go down, just see it as what it is: a cash-in. Expand
  92. Nov 8, 2012
    what seemed to be the best game of the franchise turned into the worst of the main trilogy. The game was clearly rushed to be released during the holiday season, and it has so many glitches and bugs it's not even fun. Even though the story is pretty good and good action, the gameplay and combat are both a lot more fluid... the setting fails, buildings are only about 2 stories tall, theywhat seemed to be the best game of the franchise turned into the worst of the main trilogy. The game was clearly rushed to be released during the holiday season, and it has so many glitches and bugs it's not even fun. Even though the story is pretty good and good action, the gameplay and combat are both a lot more fluid... the setting fails, buildings are only about 2 stories tall, they are like 500 meters apart from each other, which will have you running/on a horse/parkouring more than the actual length of the sequences.

The biggest complain is the glitches to be honest, this game has the best soundtrack (tied with Brotherhood) but it has more glitches than the first one, and this is not acceptable, not in 2012
  93. Nov 8, 2012
    A once fresh and promising franchise has been reduced to a slog through frustrating gameplay, odd design choices, and bad dialogue in this latest game in the Assassin
  94. Nov 7, 2012
    I fell in love with Assassin's Creed with the second game, and that game is still magic for me today. ACIII is massive, there are a ton of things to do, but so much of it feels meaningless or trivial, and some of the historical missions are so blatantly forced into the game and so badly done (Paul Revere's ride, for example) that it's amazing to that they made it into a game of thisI fell in love with Assassin's Creed with the second game, and that game is still magic for me today. ACIII is massive, there are a ton of things to do, but so much of it feels meaningless or trivial, and some of the historical missions are so blatantly forced into the game and so badly done (Paul Revere's ride, for example) that it's amazing to that they made it into a game of this magnitude. There are anachronistic missions and controls problems that seem like they'd more likely be seen in a game with far less of a budget than ACIII had and, overall, this game is a complete disappointment for me. In the two years I waited for this game I never expected that I would have beaten it and sold it back within the first week of release, but here I am. Ubisoft hasn't put out a good AC game since Brotherhood and it's time to find a more inspired series not relegated to the role of cash cow. Expand
  95. Nov 7, 2012
    This game gave me a very conflicted reaction -- I very much wanted to like this game, but I think its main issue lies in the setting. Whilst an Assassins Creed game set in the American Revolutionary War -- filled with tree climbing, tomahawks, horse riding and killing redcoats -- may have sounded like a good idea (and could have been transferred into a working game well, too)This game gave me a very conflicted reaction -- I very much wanted to like this game, but I think its main issue lies in the setting. Whilst an Assassins Creed game set in the American Revolutionary War -- filled with tree climbing, tomahawks, horse riding and killing redcoats -- may have sounded like a good idea (and could have been transferred into a working game well, too) unfortunately this is not really the case. Both Boston and New York's buildings are all only 1 or 2 stories high (not including a few church house spires). A lot of the buildings are set far apart as well. All of this makes the free-running and parkour -- an initial selling point of the series -- feel kind of disjointed and lacking. I think they tried to compensate for this with tree climbing, but this too feels a little disjointed and the only places to practice this are out in the wilderness on rabbits and foxes -- not very mind-blowing. Another little superficial flaw for me was the style of the buildings -- America at this time was a new country, so all of the buildings are small stunted brick and wood houses. This is kind of a step backward from the sprawling marble and white stone vistas I am used to from the games before. This is not to say I do not like this setting (I adored Red Dead Redemption) but it does not really fit the series and it's pre-existing themes very well. The ship combat also felt not needed and very underwhelming. I did enjoy many things about this game however -- as always, the history was rich and charming and some of the scenery did take my breath away. Seasons were a neat change and hunting was a fun little feature. Connor lived up to his hype and was a great guy. The story was vast and fantastic and the ending was immense. However, gameplay should come above all these things, and the parkour and combat both felt disjointed and unfitting. Assassins Creed 3 is a decent game. Pick it up if you have the time. Expand
  96. Nov 7, 2012
    It's an OK game but not great. The graphics look like dreamcast, Need to lower 3-D strength to 1 and increase brightness to 7 which gives more natural look. Desmond, Shaun, Rebecca looked kinda goofy. I like the way they were in AC2 & BH. Start is slow and boring. I find collecting feathers, trinkets, almanacs to be a bit annoying. Almanacs are the worst. Almost every viewpoint trees areIt's an OK game but not great. The graphics look like dreamcast, Need to lower 3-D strength to 1 and increase brightness to 7 which gives more natural look. Desmond, Shaun, Rebecca looked kinda goofy. I like the way they were in AC2 & BH. Start is slow and boring. I find collecting feathers, trinkets, almanacs to be a bit annoying. Almanacs are the worst. Almost every viewpoint trees are the same. Frontier/homestead missions were kinda lame. Hunting and discovering animals seems kinda pointless. I don't like being forced to skinned every animal when I ditch them. Attacking & looting convoys aren't worth much the rewards. You're better off just looting chest boxes instead. Naval missions were a bit boring. Controls were kinda dumbed down. What happened to the throwing knives? You can't grab ahold enemies, you have to deflect attack then grab them but it throws them automatically. You can't chuck weapons at enemies like in AC-BH & Revelations, it would be cool to spear a redcoat with a bayonet from range or throw an axe. Combat seems less evolved than previous AC series. No dodge? Seriously?? You cannot do double assassinations easily while standing, I performed double air assassinations more than standing. The story is not bad though except the beginning. Some parts were rushed and forced. I find one mission 'Boston Tea Party' to be frustrating when you have throw guards into water which puts you in awkward positons. Limiting number of kills / don't shove anyone while chasing as an optional objective is ridiculous. Connor seems dull but finally flourished after chasing and killing Hickley. Ending is not that great, you have to sit and wait for a 20 minute cast to pass to finally get game completion achievement. I'm pretty disappointed, it doesn't feel like an AC game, the elements were off and different. Felt like playing Red Dead Redemption with AC elements. I find it hard for me to care to replay through the 5 hour boring slow start again. Expand
  97. Nov 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've been a huge fan of the game and series... until now. The new combat mechnics just dont play or feel right. The big final of the game, is a f*** **** I really do not understand how Ubisoft makes that. I'm really disapointed with AC III. I think, the better in the game it's the Connor's history. It is good. The animals, the ships, the battleships, the cinematics (a few bugs). But that's all. Expand
  98. Nov 6, 2012
    The Assassin's Creed game I was looking forward to. Incredibly fluid combat and movement, beautiful graphics, and finally an arching (rather than holding pattern) story. The storytelling in this game is also fantastic, as Ubisoft really made an effort to 'show' rather than 'tell' events, and avoid cut scenes as much as possible. As someone who didn't particularly like Brotherhood orThe Assassin's Creed game I was looking forward to. Incredibly fluid combat and movement, beautiful graphics, and finally an arching (rather than holding pattern) story. The storytelling in this game is also fantastic, as Ubisoft really made an effort to 'show' rather than 'tell' events, and avoid cut scenes as much as possible. As someone who didn't particularly like Brotherhood or Revelations, seeing AC3 take the best elements of those games, and refining and improving them was great. Very little (aside from the board game mini-games) is wasted in this game, and even the parts of the game that you do for the sake of doing them, such as collectibles and naval battles, are still fun. While the ending is very abrupt, AC3 is a solid candidate for Game of the Year in my book. Expand
  99. Nov 6, 2012
    While I think that AC2 is still the best in the series, AC3 has a little something, despite all the frustrations, annoyances and glitches the game has.

I was surprised to read on different forums that only a small fraction of the AC players consider the series to be in the stealth genre. It is indeed a stealth game series with emphasis on what we now know as Active Stealth: the act of blending in crowds and using NPCs to your advantage.

While AC3 also has the stealth aspect of the series, it also has an extended combat system. However, the game barely makes an effort to push you to use stealth, you will have to push yourself instead. Sadly, notoriety is so easy to erase that you end up incognito too often and just walk around the streets of Boston after killing half an army and tearing down a few posters. I really wished they change that, by using some sort of a timer per example, where your notoriety goes down a few minutes after bribing a crier or a printer. Unfortunately, it's not the case so I just arrange to always keep Level 1 notoriety at all times: it makes the stealth a lot more enjoyable. The thing that is great about the stealth approach, although not for everyone, is that it's now more difficult than ever, provided you have some notoriety of course. There aren't huge crowds moving around in the streets, and the latter are wide, forcing you to plan your approach carefully to avoid guards and patrols as you navigate the cities. NPCs also react faster, which means you can't just walk the street and randomly kill baddies without anyone noticing anymore. Enemies spot you sooner than in previous installments, and may even give chase if you start sprinting while they are watching you. Speaking of chases, those are crazy hard even if you know your way around an Assassin's Creed chase. Guards run faster, spot you from further and you'll sometime be running around for several minutes before finally managing to escape. It's tense, it's difficult, and it's one of the best aspect of this game, especially with the new tools.

The worst thing about this game is that it could have be so much more. Unwelcome additions are the naval battles and the homestead trading parts that are utterly useless. Fortunately you can mostly ignore them, but it pains me to see that a great deal of effort was put in these features, effort that could have been put somewhere else, like quality assurance or level design. Speaking of which, level design is subpar: the story missions are for the majority tedious and linear. While the writing is good, the story is somewhat short. The side missions seem rushed, don't feel like actual missions, and mainly consist of walking around the city killing guards or speaking with NPCs. The controls have changed greatly from the previous games as well. Free running is now done simply by holding the right trigger. Climbing can now be done without holding the right trigger, which is a little bit annoying when trying to carefully grab a ledge, only for our Assassin to jump
    2 meters high and grab the next one. They finally added mechanics to vault over low objects which is a welcome addition. The
    combat is similar to previous versions, although it took me a while to understand that I needed to NOT hold down the right
    trigger to actually do anything.

In conclusion, while it is an enjoyable game, while it has a lot of potential, the game is ridden with glitches and bad design
    decisions that take a lot of fun out of it. Instead of breaking what was working and fixing what was broken, they could just
    have reused the previous installments basic systems and add new abilities and content. It could have been a much better game in retrospect.
  100. Nov 6, 2012
    I have played Assassin's Creed from day 1. What disappoints me about this installment is that i feel let down. From AC1 to AC2 they made drastic improvements to the game and it was a great step forward. With AC3 i feel as if they took a step back. They almost tried to do too much with the game. Instead of focusing on doing things well, they did a lot of things okay. I do not like theI have played Assassin's Creed from day 1. What disappoints me about this installment is that i feel let down. From AC1 to AC2 they made drastic improvements to the game and it was a great step forward. With AC3 i feel as if they took a step back. They almost tried to do too much with the game. Instead of focusing on doing things well, they did a lot of things okay. I do not like the characters one bit in the game and Connor is by far the least interesting of all the Assassins and actually quite annoying. The fight systems took a step back and it seems like it takes for ever to kill an enemy. Not to mention it seems like i continually get caught on all the little things in the environment. I constantly find myself running up a tree or a wall when really i wanted nothing to do with them. This is not due to my lack of knowing how to play the game but more because Connor can climb almost anything that just by running by something he seems to be attracted to it and just run up it. I am on DNA sequence 10 out of 12 and overall the game is a decent game. The story is pretty good but i wish i was more involved with the revolution as they lead you on to believe you are, not just some errand boy. It is a above average game i was just expecting more out of it. Especially being that i tried to read nothing about it so not to over anticipate it and give it no chance to live up to my standard. But even with ignoring most news about the game i just feel like there is so much they wanted to do with the game and just fell short a little. Expand

1. Dec 5, 2012
    At least the petty indignities of the multiplayer are optional and situated around gameplay that's solid and unique, if frustratingly stagnant. In the single-player campaign, however, it's impossible to escape the ham-fisted manipulations of the Assassin's Creed III development team.
    Assassin's Creed III is a pretty damn fine game. It loses none of what makes the series fun with the translation to another time and continent, and creates a whole new set of experiences which define the franchise. The biggest issue, if there is one, are the small technical issues, but these niggling technical issues only seem worse because everything else is such a great experience.
    Like any game of such scope, not every part of it is perfect. Yet, taken as a whole, there is very little that can compete with its wonderful, lavish, historical playground. [Issue#91, p.22]