6.7

1. Dec 7, 2012
    Assassin's Creed III is a disappointing new instalment in the Assassin's Creed series; though having a good story, it is ruined by bland graphics, not so likeable characters, plenty of bugs and a hit and miss ending. This is one of the weakest instalments, but better than Revelations.
  2. Jan 6, 2014
    Previously, I thought this franchise was just another mainstream Call of Duty-esque franchise. Until I realized the historical aspect each game carries. Being the US History buff that I am, I decided to teast this game out...and I loved it. It's so amazing to interact with huge historical figures, travel colonial America, and well, kick some ass. This game also brings in the issues of freedom for all and slavery and questions our own morality of killing. Assasin's Creed 3 is truly a masterpiece. Expand
  3. Jan 31, 2014
    Another great installment. You have a vast a array of weapons the multiplayer is still awesome. Fans will love this game...............................
  4. Nov 20, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 3 is a great time-step forward for the franchise. It brings new characters, familiar moments of American history, sea combat, family rivalry, and the other typical AC franchise elements under one roof. This makes the game more vast and complex than ever before. Sometimes, the complexity betrays itself. I never felt like I totally understood the crafting system well enough before taking to the internet to get some more info from other players that had spent more time with it. The graphics are the best of the franchise on consoles and runs noticeably smoother than previous entries. While the awesome addition of assassin brethren from Brotherhood is still around, it felt way more sidelined and unnecessary to invest in. Other than that, you could make the case that this is the best foot forward AC has made since AC2 and was well worth my time. If I could make one gripe: the free-running mechanics are both improved and broken at the same time. Numerous times I would make leaps or climbs that I wasn't intending to make. On top of that, the British Artificial Intelligence were at times buggy and would detect me while Incognito and just walking down the street. These bits occasionally disrupted the game so harshly that it became frustrating and nearly inexcusable. The good news is that these experiences, while rough and disruptive, weren't too common and seemed to be non issues during most of the main story missions. Expand
  5. Jun 24, 2013
    This game had a lot of hype surrounding it. It was suppose to reinvent the world of Assassin's Creed as we knew it. Did it succeed? Well, sort of.

The game is very interesting, don't get me wrong. However, the primary issue here is a lack of centralization. There are so many things to see and do, but none of them are particularly interesting. The main story is bland (especially the
    story surrounding Desmond), the gameplay can be mundane at times, and the game just doesn't feel as tight as the other entries.
    It's a great game, but it does too much with little focus on any specific aspect.

There are two things that really make this game great:
    1. The sailing segments are awesome, full of intense combat and excellent atmosphere.
    2. The sound-track is amazing, boasting some of the best tunes in the Assassin's Creed franchise.

Give this game a try; it might just click with you. For me, it just wasn't quite as good as the other entries in the series. It is better than Revelations, though. That's for sure.
  6. Oct 27, 2013
    after a very disapointing game(assassin's creed revelations)there wans't how make a worst game,the story of assassin's creed 3 can be good but the rest of the game isnt so good.
  7. ERB
    Nov 15, 2013
    Assassin's Creed III may not be as good as Assassin's Creed II but I should admit this game is still awesome.The graphics are beautiful and the world of Assassin's Creed is so huge.There are also many interactions in this game like petting the animals,bribing people and more.The actions in this game is so cool I mean it has cool techniques and assassination moves and more.The game play in this game is fun and some time even funny like where you eavesdrop two people talking and like they spotted you and they want to kill you and if you crouch in the bushes or grasses they won't notice.Even if they are near you.I laughed so hard and I think in there time they believe in man-plants so they thought that you were a man-plant so they ignored you.So I can tell that this game will satisfy you not just the story of this game but all of them.

This game is great.I love this game.I recommend you to buy this game because it is just great.If you are looking for a fun game to play here it is,Assassin's Creed III is an awesome game so try downloading this game or try buying It.I'm telling you this game is God damn fun.
  8. Aug 29, 2013
    [5.8] As with most of the previous installments, Assassin's Creed never learns from its mistakes. The developers improve one aspect of the game, and forget to maintain another. You would expect a skilled developer such as Ubisoft to be able to perfect a game by fifth installment, especially when its weakest elements are the most important to the game.
  9. Nov 9, 2012
    Good performance by Ubisoft, but was not worth all the hype it received. The game is very fun, but eventually, some missions get boring and the game is full of glitches and bugs. The game starts off slow, but gets good overtime, but has a near-impossible last mission. Still a buy in the AC series.
  10. Dec 19, 2012
    The Assassin's Creed series was in desperate need of a change of setting and protagonist. It got one, but the replacements are lackluster. The impressive architecture of Rome/Constantinople has been replaced with 2 story brick houses and the occasional tall tree. As far as storyline, it's as ham-fisted as ever. You're along for the ride at literally every major Revolutionary event but have no real reason to be, all the while being preached at by various characters. Connor, being half-Native American, could have been a really interesting character, but after the introductory sequences his heritage is almost never brought up again. Controls are very awkward, and I found myself getting stuck on small objects and corners, and if I was on a horse is was almost faster if I just went on foot. Combat is simplistic enough that you could probably play it on an old NES controller, which might be a good thing considering how freaking many guards there are walking around. Seriously, it's about a 1/1 ratio of civilians to guards in major towns. The only real bright spots I found were the naval battles (I enjoyed them enough that I could almost see an expanded version of them being a standalone game) and the character of Haytham. Wading through the snow during winter was also a nice touch. Expand
  11. Nov 6, 2013
    Because I trust user reviews over magazine reviews, I waited close to a year before purchasing it in the bargin bin. I wasn't disappointed. This was the worst game of the series. At times the story felt exhilerating and epic, but mostly it felt lame and dull. The large expansive world that they added falls flat when they give you such a large area with nothing interesting to do in it. For a game to have been out for a year and still be as buggy as this game makes no sense. It was as bad as the very first Assassin's Creed, yet that one got a pass because it was the first...this is the fifth game of the series! Way too many redcoats in town that prevent you from stealth. If you jump up on a roof, it's like you ignited a hornets nest and spend most of your time running for your life. Combat it ridicolous now because you regenerate your health very quickly, and so does your enemy apparently as it takes about fifteen hits with your tomohawk to kill them. Some assassin, can't stealth and can't kill. Such a shame because the did a great job with the graphics, Boston and New York, the ships, and the voice acting was the best of the series. Expand
  12. Apr 12, 2013
    When I purchased this game I was promised a lot of things. Some of those things being hunting wild animals, a free roaming area, absorbing story, great character, captivating combat system and fresh ideas on an aging gaming series. But, on every single level it failed. First and foremost I'd just like to say if this is your first time getting an Assassins Creed game, don't bother. The story is so complicated that you will not even comprehend the game unless you've played every single other one before hand. You start off with a British assassin guy, who you don't know. Why is he the way he is? I have no idea, so as confusing as it is, you play on regardless. But the next thing you know you're in Boston, and this is where things start to get rubbish but don't worry, that's only 20 minutes in. Every mission is the same, go here, listen to this guy, go here, talk to this person, fight a few people, next mission. That's about the gist of it all.

Never have I played a game with such clumsy, level design. I had to replay missions over and over and over again to stop it from glitching or something very peculiar happening and ruining all my progress on that level, throw in poor check point placement and you got yourself hours of wasted time. There's one point in the game early on where you have to release captured people and it took me 4 hours and 20 minutes straight to do a small part, which should of took 10 minutes due to poor level design, poor AI, poor movement and poor button layout. Who ever created the button lay out for this game had it completely wrong. You're thrown in to the game with no idea how to do anything, all it tells you is how to run. Next thing you know you're fighting 20 guys at the same time, getting shot and having no idea what to do. Not to mention you don't actually get to play the game until about 10 hours in, that's right. You have around 10 hours of the game which is considered 'build up' and 'tutorial' according to the game producers. And when it finally does let you free, it's a major disappointment. I've played Assassins Creed 1 and 2 which I enjoyed, so it seemed reasonable for me to get this. But honestly, don't waste your money. The only thing I could credit about this game is the originality I feel when I play it, it's a great idea being set in civil war America and you're an Indian assassin trying to get redemption. But that's all I can credit this game on, by far one of the most poorly produced games I've ever played. It had the raw potential to work, but the designers of the game got it terribly wrong. This, gets a 2 out of 10.
  13. Dec 30, 2012
    Assassins Creed delivers in a way that Call of Duty cannot. Open world opportunities, stealth action, a Single Player mode worth playing, a cinematic theme, and incredible gameplay.
  14. Mar 7, 2013
    Assassins Creed 3 feels like a remarkable step forward for the AC franchise. The Countryside blooms with greenery and rural pastures. The cities are bustling and there are some remarkable sights to behold, especially in the new naval battles. The combat is much improved, with advanced AI, demanding strategic fighting acumen to fend off. Unfortunately despite the brilliance, AC3 has the bad habit of giving you excellent missions, with grandeur aesthetics and a palpable sense of scale, right before giving you tedious missions where one misstep triggers an instant failure. Connor is also an emotionless bore, really anchoring the sense of attachment which made Ezio so lovable and endearing. Assassins Creed 3 is a great sequel in a franchise filled with great games. But this isn't the AC we expected, for every brilliant mission comes a handful of truly rote and unfair ones. Luckily AC3 at its best provide some of the greatest moments in the franchise. Expand
  15. Jul 14, 2014
    Assassin's Creed III is the not the bad game it has been worked up to be. The story is actually quite good, and Connor is an interesting character. My only issue is that the gameplay does not feel as fluid, and is full of glitches.
  16. Oct 31, 2012
    Assassin's Creed III takes everything that worked well in previous titles, sprinkled in a touch of Red Dead Redemption, tweaked thecombat to be as smooth as Batman: Arkham City, borrowed the cinematic and character development of Uncharted 2, and polished it all off to be one of, if not the very best, game of 2012.
  17. Oct 31, 2012
    Look, this game isn't really a 10 but i gave it that score to counter all those negative scores from butthurt trolls that are mad because this game is 15x times better than thier favourite generic shooter, CoD.
  18. Nov 24, 2013
    ok,i really put a 9 but this game is so hate for idiots
    the negative reviews on this game are sick and tiring
    are you stupids? what de you want? another ezio s game?
    do you think ubisoft is like activision? assassins creed 3 has a good story,a good gameplay and a good soundtrack. it had excelent graphics and its very fun to play it
  19. Jan 16, 2013
    This is one of two retail games I looked forward to through out 2012, and the only one I got and played at launch. The story holds your interest up until the end where it slowed to a dull and or aggravating finish both inside the animus and outside it. While the final acts may be really slow, the acts leading up to it are very well made. The new fighting control feels fresh and requires more thought than previous Creed entries to survive. 100%ing this game is tedious. Having to travel to every bar, shop, several side missions yourself is just annoying.

As or the multiplayer it held my interest long enough to get all the achievements but that is about it really. Wolfpack is fun but it gets boring quickly like any other horde mode.
  20. Rem
    Nov 11, 2013
    I am one of those that truly adored the Assassin's Creed franchise. AC2 was the peak of the series as it showed how you can combine the free running mechanic and still give you an insane amount of freedom. Here in Assassin's Creed 3, that sort of freedom is absent. If you haven't brushed up on your previous games, prepare to get confused as it throws many aspects from previous games into the main story. What bugged me the most is that most of the missions in the game are just plain too restricting and tedious. Eavesdropping missions are certainly not a good way to past the time as I recall replaying one mission eight times because I had to play a very specific way. The game tries to make up for this by introducing a huge amount of side activities. Hunting, crafting, looting, underground, and delivery missions are present, but it just isn't any interesting. A couple positives I do have to mention is the fact that combat is more entertaining than ever. Freerunning is also simpler than ever. However the biggest surprise is the naval combat, which are easily the best parts of the game. Yet with obvious improvements even in the graphical department, there are plenty of technical issues in the game, and they certainly annoyed me. Overall Assassin's Creed 3 gets caught trying to do too much with so little. It is easily the weakest entry in the series and a disappointing sendoff to Desmond Miles, not like his story was compelling anyways. Expand
  21. Oct 31, 2012
    People need to stop trolling, it's really makes me sad seeing trolls giving this game 0's without even stating one valid reason, this game isn't perfect but it's the best this year, way better than ohter rushed games that surprisngly, got better scores than this.
  22. Nov 2, 2012
    I've got 13 hours of playing the game and my thoughts are a complete mixed bag. I WANT to love this game because I enjoyed prior AC titles AND I'm a huge U.S. history geek. Thankfully, I can say it's not the era of the game that disappoints me as they've done a good job of making it feel as though you're in the colonies and 18th century cities. My disappointment stems, almost entirely, from gameplay changes. |||| First, combat feels like it's taken two steps backwards. Trying to target is an exercise in frustration. The same can be said for melee combat itself where often I find I end up button mashing - something I NEVER did in previous AC games - because the timing of counters, counter grabs, and attacks are WAY off. Ranged combat is just painful in part because of the weapons of the era (yay muzzle loaded rifle reload times!) and because the ranged weapon options are SEVERELY lacking in this iteration. |||| Second, the number and rapidity of cutscenes is ridiculous. Even my wife, who is decidedly a non-gamer, has noticed this fact, commenting on more than one occasion that she thought I was watching a movie, not playing a game. And this is someone who has seen me play damn near every Final Fantasy game for the last 15 years. There are entirely too many portions of the game, thus far, where you run from one "mission" (which was a cutscene) to another mission only to find out that, too, is a cutscene. |||| Third: New Engine equals new fun things (such as ships) but LOTS of bugs. I have died about a dozen times in Frontier because Connor has fallen through a texture - usually by a rock or tree - and then free falls for several minutes before the game considers it a "desync". Climbing objects is also riddled with bugs, especially in urban environments where it's possible for the game to glitch and not recognize a ledge as climbable in one instance but then work fine a few minutes later. |||| Fourth, and finally, the writing is terribly predictable and trite. For a game that forces you into so many cutscenes, it's sad that most of them are yawn worthy and uninspiring. ||| If I could give it a 6.5, I would, but rounding up to 7 would be too high, IMO. If you're a diehard AC fan, you'll be disappointed in the "downgrades" to the combat and Animus systems. If you're a diehard Revolutionary War geek, you'll be disappointed because (despite the ads) that only makes up a small part of the game. If you're a gamer who appreciates a good story, you'll be disappointed by the story and presentation of AC3. It's probably worth a rental, but maybe not a purchase - and certainly NOT worth a purchase PLUS the "season's pass". Expand
  23. Mar 14, 2013
    There's a departure here from the classic Assassin's Creed format. The graphic are slightly improved, the implausible Sci-fi plot remains, and the combat is great. But this like Brotherhood feels more like an excuse to milk the franchise by acting a period piece that is intriguing than a progression of the overall story. Let's not forget that Desmond is the real main character. Yet I'm left feeling that over the course of 4-5 games, Desmond has made no progress as a character. Nor have his supporting players. The main characters suffer for the sake of an ancestor's story. It's becoming frustrating especially since the end is so near." I just keep wondering how many more games they can squeeze out of this franchise. Finally, as I've noted in multiple reviews before, the ending of a game or movie or any story is crucial to how it is perceived. If the ending is bad, that's the last you'll remember of the game. Not just the story was flawed, but the broken final mission as well. As a result, I was left with a "this is it?" moment that was just annoying. Expand
  24. Jul 23, 2014
    Assassin's Creed III has come under a lot of criticism from fans, but I don't see why. It gives you a fresh assassin and a brand new time period. I really enjoyed moving about in the forests and climbing and scaling large buildings in the sprawling cities. The combat is greatly improved, easily being the best in the series. Its story is full of twists and turns to keep you guessing, and there is a brand new hunting mechanic, which fits well. All in all, many may hate it, but I for one see the true brilliance inside it. Expand
  25. Nov 1, 2012
    Assassins Creed 2 was the series highlight that is no longer true with the release of Assassins Creed 3. The series returns with a new setting, a new character and revamped movement and combat system. This game is set in the time of the American revolution. Your character is the half British and half Native American assassin named Connor. In the beginning you play as Connor's father but I'll try to keep this as spoiler free as possible. Talking about the start the first 3 hours you play as Connor are very narrow and closed. You are funneled down a narrowed path and not given any freedom. But when you are put into the huge open world you really notice the attention to detail and the amount of things you have to do. You can hunt, you can assist strangers, you can just free run through the trees. The revamped combat and movement systems help this experience. The combat has turned into more like an Arkham city experience with a heavy counter focus. This means your using maybe 3 buttons max at any one time. The movement system is even simpler, you hold 1 button to jump, run and vault. It allows you to move more fluidly and you just feel more comfortable holding 1 button. The animation and graphics also must be congratulated. The eyes especially they are just amazing and stare a at you and follow you. In conclusion the Assassins Creed series returns triumphantly with it's best entry so far 10/10 Expand
  26. Nov 23, 2012
    There is no denying Ubisoft tries to deliver new things to their fans and strive to be ambitious. However here what hold AC3 back from the previous 4 games is the ending. It is rushed, anticlimatic and unfulfilling. I really wanted to love this game, but it is just too underwhelming to really become memorized.
  27. Oct 16, 2013
    Unlike most people, I actually like this game better than Assassin's Creed II. However, that still doesn't mean that I love this game. As a matter of fact, I have to say that this game is average at best. This game has a lot of the same problems I have had with Assassin's Creed II, but it is still slightly better for other reasons. For one, the graphics have been very much improved. While they are still outdated (not on par with Skyrim or Batman Arkham City, both of which came out a year before this), they are still very good. The gameplay is not too bad either. However, after playing it, I cannot deny its many similarities with Batman Arkham City. That's essentially what the gameplay is as a matter of fact, a toned down version of the combat system in Batman Arkham City. This still makes the gameplay generic like Assassin's Creed II, however, I did love Batman Arkham City's combat system, and I am pretty glad it was used here. The game also has a little more to do in it than Rocksteady's Batman epic, however, most of these tasks are rather boring. Arkham City had Batman solving crimes, while this game has you collecting trinkets for a man you care little about. Naval battles were a nice touch to this game however. It does keep this game from getting too generic like Assassin's Creed II, but considering that they make up less than half of the game's missions, it won't help all that much. The gameplay also still has several glitches, a few of them game-breaking. If Ubisoft really wants this series to be amazing, they need to stop releasing these games with so many bugs in them. The story of this game however, still completely sucks. The present story is still in there, and should be removed from the game entirely. Its plot is confusing as heck, and is still a complete rip-off of the Matrix. As for the story set in the past, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the story is no longer ripping off any comic books (at least, not as much as the last game). The bad news is now it is ripping off another very good movie. This time, it is ripping off Star Wars. The story has you taking control of an Assassin named Luke Skywalker, I mean Connor (who is essentially a Native American version of Batman), who has everything he loves taken from him, his tribe, his mother, everything. He then goes to a wise old mentor named Yoda, I mean Achilles, to teach him the ways of the Jedi, I mean Assassin. He also learns that one of the main villains of this game is his father named Darth Vader, I mean Haytham Kenway. Do you see where I'm saying it is a Star Wars knock-off? The game still has a very unique setting. I do love how it takes place in Colonial times, which is an era not often explored in video games. I also love how it takes place during the American Revolution, however, that does sort of add to how it is a rip-off of Star Wars, as there is another war between the Assassins and Templars happening along with the Americans and British. In Star Wars it was the Rebellion vs. The Empire along with Jedi vs. Sith. Overall, I'd say that this game is an improvement from Assassin's Creed II, but still not a game that I would call great. I'd say that this game is worth a rent at best. However, if you want something better than this, it would probably be for the best that you skip this game entirely, and spend your money on a game like Batman Arkham Asylum or Arkham City. Expand
  28. Nov 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, let me just say, there are spoilers, minor, but still. Now, I really thought this game was the best game that was ever created graphically. The scenery of the game was purely beautiful. The graphics were basically flawless! I hesitated playing when I picked it up on the day it was released. The story was really slow and boring. Playing as Haythem was new because he was a Templar, It was the first time in the franchise you could play as a Templar. It also sparked a plot twist, and that was, one of Desmond's ancestor's weren't an assassin. Later on, the story was making little sense because if he was a Templar why was he doing all the good an assassin does? It made little sense, but other than that and a few other glitches, I enjoyed the game. The ending was very stupid too. There will be an Assassins Creed 4, I just don't get how it'll get done. But, if you're on the fence of buying this game, make sure you've played the 4 others first before playing this one. But if you have played all the others, and you're wondering if you should get this, I suggest you should. Really great game, with TONS of stuff to do and a HUGE map to travel after you've beaten the main story mode. Expand
  29. Nov 16, 2012
    Assassin's Creed III is a very fun at times predictable game. The graphics are great the storyline is decent but the thing about AC3 that troubles me is the glitches and the ending but I'm not going to talk about that because of Spoiling it for someone, the other thing about it is the stealth mode where its sometimes rediciouls than anyone would spot an assassin in the grass but overall I will say that AC3 is a good game and one of the best this year. Expand
  30. Nov 14, 2012
    Boring!!!! No fun factor whatsoever. I keep waiting for this game to get better but it just isn't happening. I don't usually review games before I finish them but people need to be warned that this game does not live up to the hype. I will finish the game because I want to know what happens in the story and I do love the series but it will be a struggle. The first game is still the best and in my oppinion they continue to go down hill from there. If this had been the first game in the series I would never have bought a second one. Expand
  31. Nov 8, 2012
    what seemed to be the best game of the franchise turned into the worst of the main trilogy. The game was clearly rushed to be released during the holiday season, and it has so many glitches and bugs it's not even fun. Even though the story is pretty good and good action, the gameplay and combat are both a lot more fluid... the setting fails, buildings are only about 2 stories tall, they are like 500 meters apart from each other, which will have you running/on a horse/parkouring more than the actual length of the sequences.

The biggest complain is the glitches to be honest, this game has the best soundtrack (tied with Brotherhood) but it has more glitches than the first one, and this is not acceptable, not in 2012
  32. Nov 4, 2012
    The best Assassin's Creed in the series. This game delivers from the beginning, you have some tweaked mechanics that work really well as you fluently glide through all that oppose you. The story is captivating and engrossing, you get sucked into a world of characters that matter, with a writer that knows what he's doing. The visuals are stunning, with probably the most gorgeous water movements and physics I've ever seen. You have a masterful soundtrack, with some great action cues, and a usually stellar cast. That said, while Connor has character he can be a little thin or misguided, there are quite a few technical glitches, and I'd love to play the multiplayer, but it really is unplayable for many at the moment. The ending also put me off a little, and is somewhat reminiscent of Mass Effect's. But all of that aside you have one of the best games of the year, there's a wealth of content and really so much to do, so much to traverse and experience, that I can't effectively describe it all. You won't be disappointed. Collapse
  33. Jan 15, 2013
    I really expected this game to be a lot better than it was, and not in the over hype way, but in the sense that it looked like a solid game and fundamentally it was going to build off of it's predecessors in an exciting setting. Welp, it turns out that in building on it's predecessors it managed to throw every possible pointless side mission into the game without regards for how it fit in. This is really raw analogy but it felt as though someone dipped their game making paintbrush into a bucket of game idea paint, and just splattered it on a canvas. That may sound like a gross exaggeration but if you look at everything besides the story line it really does feel that way. You literally have to do none of the side missions and for the most part the game does a terrible job of informing you on the various systems mechanics. There is crafting and trading, sailing, liberation, hunting, guilds, postal missions, view points, gambling, and a bunch of other stuff, that if you ignored it would make little to no difference on your game it seems. I hate to knock this game because it really did have some cool moments but there were a lot of other points where I was just banging my head and asking "why!?". I'm happy that I finished the game but I really felt like it was a push for me to take interest in this one, especially after having played 2, brotherhood, and revelations within a 3 week period. I think a lot of the time I felt overwhelmed and not in the good exploratory sense, but in the sense that completing this game (story plus extras), just seemed like a task that I had no interest in taking on. To contextualize, in past games I never collected the feathers, but I always bought everything I could and upgraded everything and completed all the side missions. In this game it felt like there was too much that I just felt like the incentive did not exist for me continue playing past the story. It is a shame because I thought this one would surprise me but unfortunately it was a huge let down. Expand
  34. Oct 30, 2012
    A series ends brethren! That's it, no more Assassin's Creed in future. I cannot go into details without spoiling, so I just say they pulled off Mass Effect 3 with this game. What a shame to see a legacy end like this. At least the story of Connor was good, whilst the story of Desmond was not. Funny how Lucy was never mentioned, looks like had no clue how to make a satisfying ending.
  35. Apr 28, 2013
    This game was a major disappointment.The begging of the game took forever to get to the fighting.Even though the combat is really fun,the game is so boring.
  36. Nov 1, 2012
    This is the Assassin's Creed we've all been waiting for. Incredible and focused storytelling, wonderful and engrossing new environments to explore, refined and visceral combat; ACIII is ambitious, huge, and very entertaining. The only thing holding this incredible experience back are the technical problems. I think that, with ACIII, we've finally seen what the Xbox can push out. ACIII is incredible graphically, but the poor draw distance, multitude of bugs, strange/annoying glitches and the fact that some mechanics just don't work is just inexcusable, especially coming from such a high pedigree. It's a shame that after four big console releases the AC team refuses to add that layer of polish that would have made ACIII no doubt one of the best games of all time. Not that it isn't a good game, AC3 is filled with content to explore, secrets to uncover, and story to be unraveled at an expert pace. AC3 is a rough diamond. Expand
  37. Dec 29, 2012
    Expected much more than I got. It really is unfortunate that they'd incorporate such a bad ending in an attempt to milk the series in the future. Don't expect anything groundbreaking.
  38. Dec 14, 2013
    Having played AC 1 and 2, I was unsure of where they could take the series as 2 was an incredible piece of work. The answer is they got very ambitious and fell short. The opening is fun once, and by opening I mean first 10 hours. This game is not replayable, too many very long story sequences of linearized gameplay.

The good is that this game is beautiful, vast, complex, and has alot
    of play time in it. Best part hands down were the ship missions. The free run mechanics continue to work great and further variety has been added to combat to keep it from stagnating.

Find this game discounted and it will not disappoint, but not a full retail purchase.
  39. Sep 24, 2013
    This game is the definition of a major disappointment. It had so much potential to be amazing, and instead we got a very mediocre game. Extremely mediocre honestly. Where do I even start. The combat is stiff and restricting, the free-running is annoying and a step backwards from previous games, the enemy a.i is bad, the map is uninteresting and not even fun to explore and worst of all:The game is boring to play. I mean there were a few good moments in the game, but there's not enough of them to truly say this is a good game. The game was so boring at some points, I was nearly put to tears. The protagonist is dull, the main missions are repetitive and restricting, and the map is a chore to explore.The game is beautiful to look at, but that's about it. Oh and I forgot to mention how the game's ending is awful. This game sucks. My rating: 6.1/10 Expand
  40. Jun 18, 2014
    Assassin's Creed III. Before I reviewed this game I played Assassin's Creed II. Most people seemed to love that game, but for some reason, I didn't. I thought the game was just plain overrated, and was mediocre at best. It's a game that you should really try before you buy. Having played through the sequel now, I have to say that this game has improved upon its predecessor in most of its flaws. So, does this game present a nice rendition of the American Revolution, or was it the right move for this game not to written in the U.S. Constitution? Let's find out. The gameplay of this game is definitely better than Assassin's Creed II. However, that's not really saying much. The game is still little more than Grand Theft Auto set during the American Revolution. It provides quite a bit for an open world game, but is still nothing we haven't seen before. Of course, there are no cars to steal and drive, so you pretty much have to run everywhere. Running in this game can be fun, but it still isn't nearly as fun as stealing someone's car, and driving off. The open world is set in the cities of Boston and New York in the 1700s. There's a lot to enjoy in these cities. There are plenty of missions to undertake, a few mini games, and even some enemy bases to take. There's a lot to enjoy in these two cities, along with the wilderness surrounding them, but none of it will blow your socks off as none of it is anything we haven't seen before. The combat in this game is literally a copy and paste of the Batman Arkham series. It is an improvement over Assassin's Creed II's clunky combat, but it is still hard to excuse that it just stole this from Batman. It has many of the same beat'em up mechanics. The stealth is slightly different however. Despite this, the stealth in this game is actually worse than Arkham's. It can be hard to figure out when the perfect time to switch to stealth is, and when to beat people up. This can detract from the overall experience, and make it much less fun. Overall though, the gameplay of Assassin's Creed III is an improvement upon the second game, but is still nothing we haven't seen before. The graphics on the other hand, have had a huge improvement from the second Assassin's Creed. This time, they are actually great looking. In fact they are on par with many of the games released on the Xbox 360. It is not as good as Just Cause 2 or Grand Theft Auto IV, but it is still a beautiful looking game nonetheless. The characters and environments all look very good and rich with detail in this game. They may not be on par with some of its competitors, but they still look very good. As for the story, that's the only part of this game that has unfortunately seen no improvement over its predecessor. The story in this game is still absolutely terrible, just like the last game. The first thing I noticed after completing the story was how much of the game was a complete rip-off of Star Wars. Seriously, the main villain of this game is actually the main character's father, and his reveal is just terrible compared to Darth Vader's reveal to being Luke's father in Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back. Also there is a war within a war going on between the Assassin's and Templars while the Americans are fighting the British. This is basically the same thing as the Jedi fighting the Sith during the war between the Rebellion and the Empire. Also, the main character once again has everything taken from him, and it is almost exactly the same as Luke Skywalker this time. As for the storyline set in the present, all I can say is this: remove it. Just remove it from this game entirely. It is everyone's least favorite part of the story. It just makes the plot of this game more confusing than it should be, and it is still a Matrix rip-off. Plus, the ending is so terrible! I won't spoil it, but let's just say the main character has to make a choice, and you don't even get to make it for him! Overall, the story of this game is about as bad as a video game story can get. Overall, this game took several steps forward, but then it took several steps back. It is a decent game, but still not enough to take it out of a worth a rent status. It is better than ACII, but still not that great. I recommend this game to anyone who likes the American Revolution. Everyone else should just rent it, and nothing else.
    Gameplay: 6/10
    Graphics: 8/10
    Story: 3/10
    Overall: 6/10
  41. Aug 12, 2013
    a well done open world game with very immersive environments and a good not great story although Connor the main character is a little boring, but overall, the game is full of exploration and cool missions.
  42. Mar 25, 2013
    This is what happens when the second game in your series is incredible. You have nowhere else to go so instead you throw in chair making and lumber delivery. It then takes various parts of Red Dead redmptions hunting aspect and fails at them on every level, integration and execution. these are just two of the few problems plaguing the third entry in the series. No longer do you assassinate people. That entire mechanic has been so castrated that the game is no longer about it. Compounding this is a serious case of the Kojima's. Overly long cinematics interspersed with a little bit of gameplay. From an artistic standpoint, the game falters from blandness. In AC1 and 2, every local was distinct, in had its own life. This new game misses that, everything feels the same, artistically bland.
    On the plus side, even though the game fails to use its setting properly, the controls show definite promise for use in these environments.
  43. Jan 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is this the worst AC to date? Possibly. If you ignore Relevations then yes. This game is so far from everything that made AC fun that it shouldn't even bear the title. Worse is that it is also the buggiest game in the series.

Let's start with the positives: The present timeline is finished up, thankful. I always thought Desmond was stupid and I'm so glad it is over. But, of course, they'll likely just keep sending us to the present in future installments anyway. The other thing that was good was the horrible vehicles don't recur.

Now the bad - Hatham and the first 3 or 4 sequences. They add absolutely nothing to the story and Hatham is almost as bad as Desmond. It would have been enough to assume the lineage was possible and move on.

Tree running is painful. Forget the fact that (unlike every other AC game) most trees you cannot climb. Basically you're running around looking for a tree to climb (or a convenient rock to run up) so you can tree run. It's funny that you can climb building but a tree branch 5' off the ground cannot be used. Even worse is that once you get to the top the leaves are in the way so you don't know where you can leap from without dying. It also seems they have 2 models for trees to sync with because each time I used the exact same tree climbing. The whole naval thing doesn't make sense. A young man suddenly captaining a ship? That's just stupid. I wish they would stick with the fun parts of AC. That brings us to the RTS aspects they keep stuffing into the game. I don't want to micro-manage supplies, builders and caravans. That is dull but I'm forced to in order to make money to buy stuff I need. Attention Ubisoft - if I want to do resource mgmt I'll go to work. They also added QTEs to this game. Unfortunately the timing is off and it happens way too often. Out in the woods, suddenly attacking by a predator, QTE or die. Boring and lame...

It is clear the original designers of the game have left the team because this game is all about RTS and FPS concepts. Stealth is all but impossible outside of rural areas. On a roof? Guards pick you off from the ground. Trying to take a fort? Guards keep respawning and have the ability to pick you off no matter where you hide. If I were a real assassin I would go for combat as a last resort. Yet AC keeps adding more and more combat moves rather than stealth components. Even worse is that there are no so many commands that there aren't enough controls so commands are contextual. I long for the days of stealthy AC. Bring back the original devs Ubisoft. The current team misses the point of what made the original games fun.

The minigames are so unfair they aren't fun but the side quests are at least entertaining. Of course there is some collectibles too but I don't like how you really have to collect everything in order to open up upgrades. The environment and people are dull. I am not at all excited about this poor backdrop for the game. It just doesn't live up to Italy or Jerusalem. It's like they had a small budget so they implemented a minimal set. I hate that this is the final game in the series.

Now the bugs. There are lots of them on even the latest patch. 1) Around and in forts guards respawn almost immediately. Once I killed a guard turned around the other way and turned back and the guard had respawned next to his own dead body. In forts it is a blood bath such that your best bet is to just run to the goals as fast as you can.
    2) Enemies are really, really sensitive. On several occasions a guard with their back to me and me in a tree behind them was suddenly picked off even though I wasn't even moving.
    3) Minigames - The players seem to look too far ahead such that winning is luck more than skill.
    4) QTEs are timed too short. Basically if you don't mash the button when it appears you'll lose. If you lose you'll generally lose a lot of health. Given that predators attack such that you cannot get away, if you lose twice you might as well reload. There are also way too many of them (although that isn't a bug).
    5) In combat you cannot get out because when you switch out of combat mode you'll likely get hit which puts you back into combat mode.
    6) In some cases if you're in combat mode but run away it thinks you're still in combat (even after minutes) and won't allow you to do certain things like air assassinate animals.
    7) On a couple of occasions an assassination target was partially clipped into the scenery making them impossible to assassinate.
    8) Bears and cougars go into an infinite escape loop if a gun goes off. Once I watch a group of bears run in circles for 5 minutes after a gun went off. They ignore everything and everyone. Another time a cougar did the same thing near a guard and the guard just kept walking by them as though they didn't exist.
  44. Dec 3, 2012
    Assassin's Creed III is a thoroughly enjoyable game. I really enjoyed the American Revolution setting and the brand new game engine performs fantastically. The new series assassin, Connor has a very brutal and fast paced combat style utilizing a host of new weapons. A favorite of mine is the rope dart which can wrap around the necks of enemies allowing you to pull them down or even hang them from a tree. This title's world is also far more expansive and gives you more side missions and activities. Players get a Homestead now instead of a castle or fort and like in previous games it develops as the game progresses. The story starts off very slow but picks up with a nice little twist to get you engaged. It's very fun to participate in key events of the American Revolution including events like the Battle of Bunker Hill. Lamentably the story slows down at the end and the ending leaves a little to be desired. Overall this game is fantastic and should definitely be played! Expand
  45. Aug 4, 2013
    the assassins creed series is one of the best series in gaming and the previous installments have all been top quality. however this game is probably the weakest of the series. it is not a bad game but it is just frustrating how good this game could have been. the setting of the game is so interesting and full of mystery and history and as the series is famous for their alternative take on the events of the past this is perfect for the series. however the game gets off to an insanely slow start. unfortunately there is so much going on this world yet you are stuck running from objective to objective to watch another cut scene as the game sets it self up. this didn't throw me off the game but left a rather sour taste in my mouth as the game often continued along this path. The game does a fantastic job in terms of graphics and the world yet falls short on creating interesting characters. Connor has no where near the charisma of ezio and the supporting cast other than the main villain, Charles Lee are all relatively stale. The game also does a great job introducing new mechanics and aspects of the game that refresh the series. The addition of hunting, naval battles and the almanacs as the collectibles rather than feathers all feel fresh and exciting in particular the naval battles which for me are the highlight of the game. AC3 also does a great job sticking to its roots as it adapts. the changes to the combat feel natural and the counters are still as brutal and bloody as ever.

AC3 is an enjoyable game but by no means the best game of the series. If the battles between the red and the blue coats had of been completed on a major scale and the character of connor was more likeable then this game could have been right there with AC2 and brotherhood.
  46. Dec 28, 2013
    The single player makes you feel exactly like you are actually in the colonies. The mechanics in the gameplay were next to flawless and what was even better is the naval combat. The graphics were great and the A.I needed a tiny bit more work but still it was great. The only bad thing is the multiplayer was greatly uninspired and nobody likes the Desmond part. Overall, great game.
  47. Sep 22, 2013
    Assassin's Creed is no doubt my favorite video game franchise, and this game is no exception. Well... mostly no exception. The story for this game is half and half for me. one on side, Conner's story is great. It isn't the best the series has written, but it's still nice. I found it really surprising that Haytham was actually a Templar. I think this was an awesome plot twist, and I think Ubisoft should actually do more with playing as Templars. As for Conner's ending, it's alright. I felt that it ended to abruptly, but it isn't the worst ending; i'll get to that. On the other hand, we have Desmond's story, which is the WORST in the series. Like the other Desmond stories, while it's acted well, it's completely unneeded, and doesn't make sense whatsoever. and what I said about AC's worst ending? Desmond's ending in this game has to be one of the worst endings in video game history. I won't spoil it, but I will say that it reflects how useless Desmond's story really is. Now onto the gameplay. this game adds up a lot more mechanics, but I have one problem with them: the overworld. the overworlds in this game are absolutely HUGE. I find myself constantly fast traveling, and also ignoring side objectives and little extras. Basically, my problem is that the worlds are too big: they break the flow of the game, and make the replayability matter less. heck, I barely touched view points in this game, which I always did in previous games. Though the combat still manages to stay fresh, and much better thanks to additions such as arms and muskets. Something that really surprised me was the graphics in the game. the environments are surprisingly beautiful, and even more so, this game has a surprisingly fast frame rate. I loved this, as it made the control in the game feel much more tweaked and fluent. But by far the best aspect of the game is Multiplayer. Multiplayer is addicting and fun, and the gamemodes, level system, and maps are great. Overall, ACIII is a great addition to the series. Desmond's story may be awful, and the huge worlds may take away from the game, but thanks to Conner's story, improved gameplay, and epic Multiplayer, this is a great game that I recommend you pick up. Expand
  48. Oct 30, 2012
    AC3 is a all new AC Experience, it has a Read Dead Redemption feeling and the best things that you love on AC series. You watch the trailers, demos and theres no surprise, it is amazing like you saw by Ubisoft. Maybe GOTY 2012.
  49. Feb 7, 2013
    This was my first Assassin's Creed game and I absolutely loved it. The time period Ubisoft chose couldn't be any better. The colonial times and the American Revolution are my favorite historical periods in U.S history. The new Assassin, Connor, is a very good character with a sad backstory and you will enjoy playing as him throughout the whole game. The combat is very cool, but doesn't feel as smooth compared to a game like Batman Arkham city, however still manages to be easy to fight and fun to kill oncoming British soldiers. The story is something that people will enjoy and it is pretty cool to see historical figures like Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Samuel Adams, etc. From what I heard, in the previous Assassin's Creed games, there are side-missions that you can do and lets say that you failed the objective, you have to keep doing that side-mission until you get it completed. If what I am hearing is correct, Assassin's Creed 3 doesn't force you to complete the side-mission which is nice for a player like me which has a difficult time completing just a side-mission to leave the mission and try something else. Although there are a lot of good things about Assassin's Creed 3, there is a lot of issues. During the campaign, you will find fairly a lot of graphical glitches. Another problem is the battles are kinda disappointing. Instead of fighting an army of British soldiers one by one, you have to help the colonists help fight the British like shooting cannons at them, and running through rocks while British Soldiers shoot at you. Not what I expected. Last is the character Connor is good, but can be very bland sometimes and you really don't know whats going through his mind half of the time. Looking past these flaws, this game is really good and highly suggest you buy this game. Expand
  50. Nov 7, 2012
    I fell in love with Assassin's Creed with the second game, and that game is still magic for me today. ACIII is massive, there are a ton of things to do, but so much of it feels meaningless or trivial, and some of the historical missions are so blatantly forced into the game and so badly done (Paul Revere's ride, for example) that it's amazing to that they made it into a game of this magnitude. There are anachronistic missions and controls problems that seem like they'd more likely be seen in a game with far less of a budget than ACIII had and, overall, this game is a complete disappointment for me. In the two years I waited for this game I never expected that I would have beaten it and sold it back within the first week of release, but here I am. Ubisoft hasn't put out a good AC game since Brotherhood and it's time to find a more inspired series not relegated to the role of cash cow. Expand
  51. Sep 1, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 3 is a very well made game with minor issues. The story is engaging and strongly acted. The game's open world is large and split up into New York, Boston, and the Frontier but after finishing the main story there is not a lot of replay value aside from a few side missions and miscellaneous quests. The game play is fluid, but isn't very challenging and has a few camera angle bugs here and there. No spoilers, but the climax of the campaign drags on and then ends abruptly, so I have mixed feelings about it. The visuals are excellent and really immerse you into colonial North America. AC3 will please long-time fans for the most part, but may or may not win over newcomers and skeptics Expand
  52. Mar 3, 2013
    Admito que AC III evoluiu bastante se comparado com AC Revelations, porém seus personagens não são tão memoráveis quanto os demais. O jogo não possui um vilão principal ou com maior destaque, e isso também vale para os secundários. Connor um personagem forte e habilidoso, mas sua personalidade fraca comparada seus antecessores. Os problemas de comandos são frequentes e irritantes, embora a jogabilidade tenha melhorado. Expand
  53. Jul 21, 2013
    Fantastic game. Great voice acting, story, gameplay mechanics, immersion, graphics. Everything is top notch. People giving this a negative review/score have no idea what they are talking about. Somebody thought it was cool to start a "AC3 hate bandwagon" and a lot of people decided to jump on. Most of the negatives scores actually have completely wrong information and/or nitpicks that don't hamper the game. People also seem to hate the new protagonist called Connor, for some inexplicable reason. They are obviously stuck in the past with love for Ezio (protagonist from the last THREE games, may I add) that they cant fathom a new hero having a different personality and morals, values, passions. They simply don't understand him. Some people have also been complaining about glitches, even though I only encountered a couple small ones (I.e. floating weapon) throughout the whole game (keep in mind no game is perfect and these are miniscule). All in all, the game left me wanting more of Connor even after I completed the game (which took me 20 hours or so including side missions and collectibles) and I cannot wait to see what Assassins Creed 4 has to offer come October 2013. Expand
  54. Nov 12, 2012
    I can't believe they were able to sell this game in the state it's in. Glitchy and just a big mess, I wouldn't even want my worst enemy to wast their time playing this. The controls are horrid, yet critics call it "revolutionary" because of the graphics. This is just another shining example of looks over gameplay, and unfortunately this is the norm now with videogames.
  55. Nov 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Once more Ubisoft gives us a good quality game in Assassin's Creed III. Pros: The visuals are beautiful, the combat has more challenge, the story and characters are very interesting, the voice acting is solid; the naval missions, though frustrating at times, are a very welcomed addition, and the soundtrack is top notch as always (despite Jesper Kyd not composing it). Cons: As many have stated, there are a million bugs (muskets floating in the air, Connor freezing while running in the frontier, mouths not moving while characters speak, etc.); the optional objectives instead of a challenge they feel like the developers are forcing you to do things in a specific way, which is ironic for a game that speaks about the importance of freedom, side missions are over-complicated at times and pointless (chasing pigs in a farm? really?), the economy system is not as organic as in the previous games. I really appreciate developers wanting to add variety, but if it has no major repercussions in the plot, then there's not much of a point in it. But most of all, the reason I'm giving AC3 a 7 and not a 9 is the ending. Oh my god! It seems written by Damon Lindelof (the "genius" behind Lost and Prometheus), which means a huge build-up that leads to an event with no payoff and only more build-up for things to come instead. I expected to see an actual conclusion to Desmond's story as the developers promised, not the writers leaving things opened. One thing is to create suspense around a story and another is just extending it to the point of making the player / viewer not to care anymore because of how frustrating it became to expect something epic and not coming. Along with Batman: Arkham City and The Dark Knight Rises, AC3 has the most disappointing ending I've ever seen. Expand
  56. Oct 30, 2012
    Another year and another Assassins's Creed game which basically plays itself. Yes, making a game to hard and challenging can frustrate people, yet making it too easy will bore them. Good game design means finding a balance between those 2 extremes. And it's might be just me, yet I take a little frustration over boredom any day in a game. Because managing something that was difficult leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment, finishing something that was boringly easy one the other hand just leaves you bored. And a game isn't supposed to bore you, causing boredom is pretty much the opposite of what a game should do.

Or maybe you are one of those people who enjoy to cheat in multiplayer games, or usually run through single player titles in god-mode, because in that case this might be a game for you. For those who require a little challenge in order not to grow bored with a game, better look elsewhere.
  57. Dec 30, 2012
    What is Assassin's Creed 3's core mechanic? Is it stealth? No, because if one enemy spots you, all enemies are instantly aware of your position somehow. Even though there's an indicator for how much an enemy can see you, and it's plenty fun to sneak up behind an enemy, sometimes my character would do something stupid because I didn't press the buttons contextually enough for the games liking, and most of the missions don't involve stealth but when they do it's controller- snappingly obtuse. Is it hack and slash combat? Maybe, because there are plenty enemies in one vicinity at once and jumping in there taking them all out Arkham-style is really fun, but the game wants you to be unnoticed, you know, with the big inconspicuous hood and all, so killing everyone that looks at you funny isn't the optimal solution. Is it the naval missions? No, they're awesome in their own right and I love them, but they only appear in two of the story missions. Well done! You've done a story mission! Now you have the pleasure of being able to do something absolutely **** tedious. So no, AC3 has no core mechanic and remains an unfocused and buggy game throughout. The sidequests are dull too, with the hunting not being rewarded with anything but being pretty cool despite that. Let's just take a look back to Assassin's Creed 1, where it's core mechanic was Assassinating, hence the title. It was repetitive and you spent too much time faffing about, but at least it was a game about assassinating with just a set of tools and a target so you can find your own way to take out the enemy, whatever way you would like too. Over the years, the series has added so many more useless gimmicks that the series has become completely unfocused. I guess I should give credit where credit is due, the combat system being fast, fun and intuitive, the graphics are incredible, the aforementioned naval missions are extremely engaging and I really loved them, the new Assassin's Armour is the best one yet, the overall historical accuracy being, well, historically accurate, the writing is excellent, even though the story is conveluted and barely connected to the original Assassin's Creed story-line, the menu's are really well designed, the free-running is the best I've seen in a game, even though it does get a bit too contextual at times, and it's a fresh departure from the series that takes away the scrambled **** from the previous games. However, the scrambled eggs it took away from the previous games that made them less intuitive and focused, it completely dropped the assassinating bit, so this just becomes an unfocused generic action game, whereas its predecessors were quite original at the time and remained fun whilst also being a bit too easy. This one suffers from being a bit too easy as well, I died most of the time because Connor did something stupid. For an open world sandbox game, this needs to be less contextual, because it gets on my nerves when I cant climb up a wall unless the contextual 'Climb up the wall' button shows up. This was a problem with the previous games as well, I just want to be able to run freely without needing to press the correct button at the correct time. As an Englishman, I felt uncomfortable killng my own men, but I just got used to it over time. See, this is also a problem about the game, its set in a war that's only interesting to American Patriots and to no one else. Connor brutalising Englishman because he's not wearing the same colour as them makes Connor look like the biggest monster of them all, especially when you can't exactly demonize people sodding off later on because they couldn't be bothered any more, or maybe I'm just biased. The French renaissance would of been a much more interesting setting, because in 1775 America, there aren't any big buildings to go free running on and the whole running part is a lot less fun. But at the same time in France there are heads being chopped off, the peasants vs. the Aristocracy, there's a much more believable side you can take without being gung-ho American patriot or gung-ho French patriot. Civil wars are much more interesting, oh, what about the American civil war? Where enough time has gone by for there to be cool buildings to jump around on, war is becoming industrialised, and it's the brutal slave-owning savages of the south vs. the freedom fighting civilised north, and there's a war on so there's plenty of killing for your liking, and hey, they could of had mid-19th century Connor bump fists with Lincoln. Sure, the north outnumbered the south 2:1 but it's better than the boring old redcoats. This game is overall a pretty mixed bag, and if you do consider playing it, don't go in with your expectations too high, like I did. If you go into it with the knowledge that it's an average game, you'll come out feeling satisfied. Expand
  58. Jun 18, 2013
    While the game manages to approve from it's predecessor in many cases it also suffers from several framerate issues along with some minor steps backwards including a false protagonist that is rather frustrating to play as for the first two hours of the game and an ending that will disappoint fans immensely. Regardless of these issues Assassin's Creed III goes on to provide players with a fantastic look on the secret hero of the american revolution and many hours of collectibles for good replay value.

59. Oct 30, 2012
    I just took this promising 3rd instalment for a test run, and because of it's sheer size, (and mostly because it just came out today), I'm in no position to post an accurate and objective review.. Which is why I'm giving it a 10/10. So far so good! So good that Assassins could prove to be even cooler than Zombies.
  60. Aug 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Assassins Creed III was a extremely smooth and featured easy controls. There was always something to do in AC3 even after you've completed the main story. Desmond's story is still weak and confusing and gives you little to keep you interested. Meanwhile, Conner's story was always interesting and showed extreme depth. The way the game started introducing you to a bunch of characters, that you will eventually kill, was a very nice touch that gave the story even more depth. The introduction of the Aquilla was done perfectly. Controls were easy. It will be interesting to see if you will be able to explore the world via ship in future AC. Expand
  61. Nov 8, 2012
    This is the worst Assassin's Creed in the series (I think is even worse than Revelations...). The story of this game is absolute boring, specially the past part wich is the 80% of the game, but the Desmond story was even worse... Specially the ending which is specially bad, not to mention all the bugs that game haves, it feels like an unfinished game. If you want a real AC experience just play AC2 and AC:B instead of this game... About the online part, at fist looks good, but it doesn't have many variety on places to play, and most of them looks the same. Also all the customization parts for characters are overpriced, I already have played like 70 times online, I'm in level 31 and I still doesn't have enough credits to allow me to buy character stuff, only skills.. obviously they want us to spend real money on it, also the rewards (videos) for leveling up on the online game are not good as the ones in AC:R.

So, I'm afraid this is not an AAA title anymore. Not buying another AC on the release.
  62. Nov 2, 2012
    Assassin's Creed has lost it's edge in my opinion. The spectacle is there but the specialness (for lack of a better word) is gone. The setting is different this time around and I appreciate that but the formula is basically the same. Don't get me wrong, the series is still passable and (almost) worth $60 and I'm going to keep buying them but with a little less joy and excitement. Yearly releases is only hastening my exasperation. Remember Me is going to be the next Assassin's Creed and will hopefully add a surge or energy to this stealth/memory genre. Expand
  63. Nov 7, 2012
    Assassins Creed 3 is a Absolute masterpiece of a game.I've played all the Previous Titles and loved them all dearly enough to keep them in my game collection.But Assassins Creed 3 is by far the best game in the series.the graphics are top notch and the combat is fluid and smooth*almost as if you are the person in the game*movement is better then ever with super realism in every way.the story is very well written and told.the entire game is just FANTASTIC.and the multi player has gotten a good amount of improvements, and is still my fave action multiplayer ever created in my opinion.a must buy for any fan of the series. Expand
  64. Nov 11, 2012
    If I were to rank the games in order I would put assassins creed 2 at the top, brotherhood second, assassins creed 1 third, this game 4th, and revelations 5th. The game could be summarized as mediocre. Setting: The main story contains large detailed maps, but the problem is that it doesn't have any large buildings to climb like in assassins creed 2 and brotherhood or even revelations, not only that the game doesn't have that beautiful setting like Venice, I really loved Venice in assassins creed 2, it's a very colorful place, plenty of fun things in the game. Puzzles. Assassins creed 2 had tons of puzzles and they revealed pieces of a truth that was really fun. Every time I completed one i looked at what I've gathered to add more to this truth story, more importantly the puzzles had history to them and conspiracy theories, it actually gets pretty creepy. Brotherhood did the same but not to the same extent. So far I have not found anything like this, but I'm guessing they didn't do it...

Story: It's ok, Gameplay: not as many personal assassinations. I find myself in a lot of missions where you have to run in and kill all the guards like a wild man, no stealth at all. I like putting in multiple objectives though. There are a lot of bugs, I sometimes find my character spazzing out and just standing still and taking hits. The health system is lousy, it's basically assassins creed 1, no potions, regenerate health. The combat system is probably the worst of all the games, and here is why, you have the occasional QUICK **** TIME EVENTS. I just finished resident evil 6 and at this point i never want to touch QTE AGAIN. But lo and behold this game had to put that in the game. It's not as many as RE6 but seriously, why the hell did they do this? Why does the world think QTE = gameplay??? Seriously the combat could be interpreted as QTE. Wolf attacks you, game prompts O, you hit O, then prompts square. It feels like god of war like QTE, but the thing about god of war is that you aren't forced to do QTE, that's only if you choose to grab. Side missions: There are plenty of those, so that's good.

Some of the bugs ive seen: People talking without moving their mouths in a cutscene, guard who wont die, my character spazzing out. One of the three will happen every hour.

There was this one part where you have to be an eagle and follow another fire eagle... here we witness something I like to call "Crazy Camera Mode." You get to this one point where you hit the mountains and a white light comes and next thing you know you see winter trees right in front of you. It's **** how the camera works here. Graphics are fine, nothing new though

Overall it gets a 6/10. It has a lot of problems but nothing makes it unplayable.
  65. Mar 22, 2014
    An utter disappointment in not just the Assassins Creed franchise, but pretty much to video games in general. The time setting and location, while it felt fresh, was laid back by an uninteresting protagonist and an underwhelming story.
  66. Oct 20, 2013
    A game that aims so high its hard not to respect. The emphasis on your targets this time round over the protagonist is certainately different, and mechanics are streamlined, though in some ways the older schemes could have worked better. You do pretty much everything from board games to naval missions to sneaking & hunting. The big problem is that the actual assassinations have gone from openly exploring/ planning an attack to approaching them the game wants you to do so (scripted chases, quicktime events & areas where you get detected from taking any other route than the games expected path). On top of that there is not much focus on the assassinating in a game called Assassins Creed. It feels more like an American Revolution life simulator instead.
    Still, for all the faults its a breath of fresh air into the series, which was getting tired by Revelations, and if you liked the gameplay from the last few games this is one to get.
  67. Nov 11, 2012
    As I was playing Assassins Creed 3 I realised that all of the oranges I had in my fruit bowl had started to go green and furry looking. Like Tennis balls. Tennis balls that emit a strange smell. As a man of science I can only presume that this occurred by way of radiation emitted by Assassins Creed 3. In summation, do not under any circumstances allow Assassins Creed 3 near your bowl of oranges. Expand
  68. lox
    Mar 1, 2013
    One word: disappointing. Assassin's Creed 3 had so much hype surrounding it, me being one of the millions who gave into it. It looked so promising and judging from the trailers it looked like it had the potential to be the best AC game yet, as well as GOTY. But the game has too many flaws in my opinion. Playing as Haytham Kenway was fun for a little while but then for me it got tiresome and I just couldn't wait to finally play as Connor, whom you don't get to play as until several hours into the game. And even when you do finally play as Connor, you realize after a while that his personality is dull as a wooden plank. The combat system in AC3 when compared to previous AC'S is new and innovative, but it eventually gets repetitive rather quickly. Fighting guards eventually turns into a chore rather than a challenge. Also, the game had almost no climax to it. There was almost nothing at all that was relatively exciting enough to get me hooked to the story or the characters. I felt like the naval missions were utterly unnecessary. And to top things off, the ending of the game was unsatisfactory and a little disappointing. The only pros I can say this game has going for it is its voice acting, graphics, and soundtrack. It has memorable music, great voice actors, and is visually impressive(e.g. the wilderness). Overall, this game did not live up to its hype and certainly didn't exceed my expectations. AC3 was over-hyped and under-delivered. Expand
  69. Nov 6, 2012
    For context - I loved AC2, but found Brotherhood lacklustre and so therefore could not be bothered with Revelations. This is excellent however. It's perfectly developed as a sequel. A new engine gives it visual polish, tweaks the gameplay mechanics just enough to maintain familiarity whilst creating something tangibly new. The new protagonist is great and the narrative very compelling. If you're a fan of the original games, open world or action gaming in general it's a must buy. Also, it has that essential thing a lot of open world games miss, and is very hard to pin down - the world is compelling to explore! I've spent ages just messing around hunting and going smaller tasks - wonderful, and reminds me of the time I spent in Red Dead Redemption. Only complaint is that some elements are a little clunky, such as the menus and insertion of side missions rather arbitrarily. It's a minor issue though, I'd give it 9.5 is I could here. Expand
  70. Nov 7, 2012
    I should mention first off that I'm not one of the hard core Assassins Creed fans. I've played some of the others and thought they were good but hadn't really gotten into the game until this game. Because of this I can't really compare this game to the previous ones, but I can say this is the only one that's pulled me in. While the story is as good as it always is and the graphics look fantastic its the gameplay that really sines. Its different from other creed games and this will put some people off but I really hope people will give it a chance. Don't get me wrong, the sneaking around parkour building climbing is still here but now there is a ton of other things to do. Whether its exploring the wilderness or getting into the new ship combat, or simply building up your homestead the game is never short of fun enjoyable (and more importantly, varied) quests. On top of that, there are tons of collectables for various people scattered everywhere to bring out the collector in all of us. There are some down sides, such as the numerous glitches that span all the way from goofy to game halting. I've also read that they changed up the combat and I can attest there are probably too many guards with too much health for the games own good. The games AI can be unpredictable as well making the game occasionally frustrating. Barring those little gripes, the game is great. I'm sure some Assassin's Creed vets are going to dislike the changes but I hope they, and everyone else gives this great game a try. Expand
  71. Nov 11, 2012
    Running around the frontier and hunting is pretty fun as is fighting massive amounts of enemies at one time. The graphics are incredible. The story itself is quite boring, and after a while I found myself not even caring. All the collectibles are more rewarding to find than in any of the other past games. One bad thing is the tomahawk you start with is extremely powerful, so there really is no need to upgrade your weapons at all like the past games. I always enjoy the Assassin's creed games regardless because I enjoy just running around and climbing. This is probably the second to worst in the series, right ahead of Brotherhood. If you are a fan of the series, just ignore the nay-sayers and get it, but don't expect too much or you will be let down. Expand
  72. Aug 30, 2013
    When i played just 5 hours of this game i gave it a 9. I made a terrible mistake, this game is not that good. It has indeed a good story, and the Naval missions are the Jewel of the Crown. But the game is broken, the parkour elements are Broken, the Battles are way too simple, different weapons means nothing in this game. The best thing of the game, the naval missions, are so few in the story mode, that you can count in one hand's fingers. I am relieved that Blackflag's focus is on Piracy, i really hope they learn from their mistakes, Assassin's Creed is an awesome franchise. Expand
  73. Nov 21, 2012
    It might not be the revolution we were expecting but it's pretty damn good. The game is brought down by it's numerous technical issues, but the sheer amount of things to do, the story and the fun combat make it a great addition to the series.

As for the ending, it was disappointing but it i not as bad as people say. Overall, I think it is the best Assassin's Creed game, with AC2 coming
    very close. Expand
  74. Nov 3, 2012
    Assassins Creed III may be both a technical feat, and an astonishing game with high polish but it still doesn't innovate and falls lackluster with it's core flow and gameplay mechanics. This game is another AAA game that pushes the boundary both technically, but yet still falls short of another lackluster rehash of what seems a forever drawn out game that doesn't do anything new. The story in ASIII is a something that we haven't seen with the Templars before, but it still feels and plays like the other Assassins Creed's games. The story itself, is a little hard to follow at times, and has some rough edges that need ironing out in the cinematic and narrative department. But as for gameplay, this time around ASIII feels more action oriented with what seems a frustratingly unlimited amount of enemies to chop, slash, and cut into pieces along the way. The true reward and satisfaction that comes with this game, is not the combat, but the art of exploring the wilderness of the old Americas, fighting alongside some of the most respected names in history, and the sheer joy of just running around roof top to roof top. The multiplayer is another treat that delivers making this game a heck of a lot more than just one polished single player campaign. Online play, is nerve wrecking and feels a lot like hide and seek. There's nothing wrong with the online play, and it, in itself is worth it even if the game didn't come pack full with a highly creative single player. I give this game an 8 out of 10, simply because the single player has awesome visuals, but it still falls lackluster and doesn't innovate on-top of the drawn out series. The gameplay, feels too repetitive at time, and even too slow. That though is made up for the highly entertaining multiplayer, and the visual prowess that ASIII delivers. Expand
  75. Feb 26, 2013
    la verdad que me gusto bastante.Empiezo hablando de la historia, Me gusto mucho me tuvo atrapado en todo el juego(como en cualquier assassins) con algunos giros en la historia que te deja =O ,pero bue que le vamos a hacer. Una de las mejores historias de toda la saga(para mi),y de paso aprendí un poquito mas sobre la revolución americana.La jugabilidad estuvo bien, con algunos fallos pero esta bien. Gráficamente hermoso, buen juego de sombras lastima por las sombras en los rostros que se ven feas,una ambientación genial ,mucho para explorar ,mapa mas o menos grande. Lo otro que me gusto, pero es algo muy mínimo, es que cuando corres por la nieve corra lento, ese realismo me gusto que en algunos juegos corres igual en cualquier terreno. Lo otro también que esta genial son las batallas navales son unas de las cosas que mas me gusta. Si no fuera por la cantidades de bugs y glitches que trae el juego sería de 10.A y me olvide del sistema de cerraduras de mierda que sigo rabiando que todavía no lo puedo hacer bien, pero eh mejorado e.e (me re fui del tema). En general Assassins creed 3 es un excelente juego a pesar de sus cosas malas, un juego que,mejor dicho, una saga que nadie tiene que dejar pasar por alto si no lo has jugado que estas esperando Expand
  76. Nov 6, 2012
    The Assassin's Creed game I was looking forward to. Incredibly fluid combat and movement, beautiful graphics, and finally an arching (rather than holding pattern) story. The storytelling in this game is also fantastic, as Ubisoft really made an effort to 'show' rather than 'tell' events, and avoid cut scenes as much as possible. As someone who didn't particularly like Brotherhood or Revelations, seeing AC3 take the best elements of those games, and refining and improving them was great. Very little (aside from the board game mini-games) is wasted in this game, and even the parts of the game that you do for the sake of doing them, such as collectibles and naval battles, are still fun. While the ending is very abrupt, AC3 is a solid candidate for Game of the Year in my book. Expand
  77. Nov 14, 2012
    A fantastic game that is absolutely stunning in the graphic department. The story is really well presented and the environments are huge. Tons of stuff to do and discover.
  78. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really loved the WTF! moments in the storyline. These moments remain unsurpassed by any such moments in the original games, apart from maybe the ending to AC1 which everyone kinda saw coming anyway. The Haytham stuff was very well done, and the conclusion to that relationship with Connor seemed both inevitable and tragic.

The graphics are an obvious improvement on the previous games. I know this as I completed AC: Revelations and then went straight on to AC3. Character models are great and there is real depth. However, there have been buggy moments throughout and I have to wonder if the current-gen is being pushed to its absolute limit, or if we have some lazy debugging?

I felt like this was a very linear AC game. That I was being led towards the next mission and that any side-quests (and other stuff) was all there as filler. There seems to be very scant reward for doing many of the side-missions and, often, they would just get in the way. This is odd to me as I have always made an effort to 100% these games in the past here, I just don't care and can't be arsed. Maybe I'm Assassins Creed-ed out? After playing two games consecutively?

Connor is very dull, bless him. I suppose I warmed to him in the end, particularly with the Haytham stuff and the DLC, but when pitched against the mighty Ezio, he is just a sullen boy with confusing morals. I'd have much rather played the whole game with Haytham!

The whole currency system seems completely broken and money is at a real premium. In the crucible of the New World where there were many fortunes to be made, this seems to be at odds with the timeline. There is no chance of making enough money to buy items and upgrades from your usual activities and missions. So now we move to hunting (not much to be had there) and the very broken trading system. Which is not explained well enough. And in the era of paperless manuals "it's on the disc" things need to be explained really well, people! As did the new assassins guild(?) system which also felt very broken when compared to the silky, seamless offering in Ezio's world.

I hate climbing trees. I used to love climbing trees as a lad, but not in this game. In fact, I reckon that I could have scaled some of the trees myself faster than Connor's utterly ridiculous jumping around on the spot, or to his death antics that I have often experienced. User error, you might ask? Possibly. But the trigger system of free running often leads Connor to take short breaks to catch his breath so you feel it necessary to push the jump button and then, a few seconds later, find yourself to be bear chow with 97% percent of your bones shattered on an unforgiving frontier ground.

And bears? WTF? There seems to be one place in the frontier where bears must be respawning cos I killed 6 or 7 of the bastards before I legged it! Did I stumble on Beartown?

Guns are annoying. It takes away the fluidity from combat that we were able to demonstrate with Altair and Ezio and makes everything too busy for me. Also, is it just me, or are half of the British army in one borough of Boston or New York at any one time? No wonder the British lost the war it's because seven batallions were busy chasing some native kid around the streets of Boston! It seems to become quite unfair too quickly. And given that stealth is often a near-impossible option, the game can become quickly frustrating.

Desmond. To paraphrase another scribe, "What the f*ck was that all about?" Given that it was a completely unsatisfactory journey, I suppose that it was inevitable that it would be a completely unsatisfactory ending! I didn't mind the modern-day stuff. I actually found jumping around skyscrapers, Abstergo and UFC PPVs a nice distraction from Connor's dull life. And it was nice to see Desmond being quite bad-ass. But the backstory between the Templars and Assassins now seems likely to be shelved for an altogther more supernatural, sci-fi, whatever paint-by-numbers plot in future ACs. The Templars vs Assassins plot was fine for me I didn't really care where these items came from (e.g. Apple of Eden) just that they were powerful, important, and progressed the storyline.

And Lucy is dead. Well I'll never get back all those hours in AC1 that I spent chatting her up then! And BTW, that spoiler was given out by the production team at last year's Eurogamer when they started their demo with "Yes! Lucy IS dead!" Spoilers, people! The fact that it took place in some crappy Minecraft crossover DLC is a real slap in the face for such a major character in the modern plot. Not good. And the same production team from Ubisoft proudly presented the tree climbing stuff at Eurogamer. I should have seen that coming.

In conclusion, I found AC3 to be frustrating and pleasurable in fairly equal amounts. Too linear in places. Broken side-quests. Fiddly. But good characters. A beautiful world to play in. Ship battles were VERY good fun, which bodes well for AC4. Liked the stories.
  79. Dec 10, 2013
    Just terrible. The main character is an idiot; the guards are omniscient to the point that stealth is impossible; controls are poor; the story is AWFUL; and the missions are nothing but frustrating.
  80. Dec 20, 2012
    Assassin's Creed III is truly a great piece of work, and one of the finest video games I have played in recent times. The game is dripping with gorgeous atmosphere, and very well designed environments. One can spend hours on end simply venturing around the frontier and exploring every corner of a very wide and diverse map. The combat is fairly simple, and I found myself adapting to it with relative ease. While the campaign is being critiqued at around 10-12 hours, I personally have put around 8 hours into the title without even obtaining my assassin's robe with yet with Conner. There are plenty of ways to stay engaged with this game and truly soak everything in. I will admit that this is the first Assassin's Creed game I have ever played on my own, but really and truly if any of it's predecessors are truly 'better' titles than this game, than I believe this may become one of my favorite video game franchises. Expand
  81. Dec 26, 2012
    Not as great as the whole altair and ezio games that came before. Story wise, the prologue was dragged out a bit if you ask me and I hated the ending. But mobility to traverse the world, new hunting system, and missions for the homestead were great.
  82. Nov 9, 2012
    Great game! The new location is a good change of pace than the rooftop heavy predecessors of the series. Combat and the new techniques have good additions too. Loved the AC series and this is a good step for the assassin.
  83. Jan 2, 2013
    I've been an AC fan since part 1 & this is the best version since AC2. The combat is close to perfect. The story is interesting. The graphics are great. Yes, I can see how some people would find this boring due to the time period that it's set in and the pacing early on in the game. I'm not one of these people. I loved AC3 from the second I turned it on. I think I'm about halfway through, but I hope I'm not because I love it so much.
    There really is a Red Dead Redemption vibe and that game was amazing, so.....
  84. Feb 26, 2013
    One of the most frustrating games I've played. When it works it is brilliant and exhilarating; far too often, though, it feels simply like work. A chore. This is largely due to the fact that most side missions serve no purpose other than time filler (sea missions being the exception and the true high point of the game), and to the variable glitchy, twitchy controls--seems that at key moments the designers decided to slightly alter the control command for no apparent reason, and you end up failing full synchronization. Or in a final boss battle when suddenly you have to learn an entirely new control command scheme to succeed. At any rate, when i finished this game it was with no sense of joy or accomplishment-- just a grim determination to finish something I started. In other words, work. Expand
  85. Nov 8, 2012
    First off if you review this game before you get your assasins suit as Conner then you are doing this game an injustice. The graphics may be the best I've seen even though I do think that a lot when I get a new game. There are bugs and glitches but it is a video game people and the world is huge. I actually think the bugs are funny sometimes like a horse walking backwards up a wall or one time I was swimming and a guy was fishing on the shore when I got close he jumped into the water and disappeared. Not a game breaker for me actually kind of funny. The missions in the beginning are boring but I'm asuming that its for the newcomers to the series and tells the story. I love the setting and some people on here are saying the cities look the same and there aren't enough tall buildings to climb. I pretty sure it did all look basically the same and there weren't that many tall buildings in those days. This isn't assasins creed 2 but it is similar in design but a lot better. The combat imo is good it is different and takes a little time to get used to but now I can fight twenty guys and not get touched like on arkam city except its better because when your done everyone is dead and bleeding AWESOME!! Ok game is great what about the multiplayer that almost noone is mentioning. It is fantastic and even better than single player if you're in the right mood. I love this game and will probably get a 10 from me by the time I finish it. Get it play it love it but give it a chance before you bash it. If this game is so bad what game is so good. Red dead hell no gta no and plaese don't say ac2 because this game takes it and multiplies it by 100!!! Let me know what you think. Expand
  86. Aug 15, 2013
    Another great take in the Assassin's Creed series. It's not perfect by any meas: the voice acting is poor, the characters occasionally feel far from fleshed out and the movement is not always as precise as it should be. However the cinematic quality and the general storyline is well mapped out and putting Connor in the midst of key historical events made for a very engaging experience. One of the few games that made me want to research it's subjects and topics and shows that the medium can be used not just to entertain but (in a loose way) educate without losing gameplay. Expand
  87. Aug 5, 2013
    My review on Assassin's creed 3 SINGLE PLAYER: 8.5/10. outstanding story, great twists and turns. HATE connor, for some reason GRAPHICS: 9.75/10. breathtaking. besides a few glitches. simply outstanding SOUND: 8.5/10. great sound design, decent voice acting MULTIPLAYER: 9/10. lots of game modes and maps, very unique approach. do not like that you can buy your way through the unlocks
    GAMEPLAY: 8.5/10. fluid controls, lots of fun mechanics. sadly plagued with quite a few glitches. though.
    FUN FACTOR: 9/10. very fun game, lots of content
    TOTAL: 9/10
  88. Aug 10, 2013
    This was my first AC game and i loved it to bits. It's huge, great graphics, lots to see, lots to do, lots of reliability, i just had so much fun with it. I've played through it twice so far and will deffo play through again sometime. My only problem with it was the story line was weak in places and i didn't like the modern day sections and the whole animus thing.
  89. Dec 15, 2012
    The idea is great. But in my opinion, a game with bugs cannot be considered a finished game. Also I have to complain to being forced to buy additional content if I'd like to play more missions, which of course, is pointless to me if I've already completed the game's main story.

I was aiming very high on this one, because it's focused on my favourite era, but the results are not worthy
    of an enterprise like Ubisoft. The thing that impressed me more are the ending credits. I can't figure how so many people worked for this... This game is the pure capitalism's expression. Expand
  90. Nov 28, 2012
    The Assassin's Creed series has always been one for great story telling, impressive graphics and enjoyable game play. Assassin's Creed 3 is a solid, enjoyable game, but fails to achieve the same levels of satisfaction or quality of prior games in the series. AC3 does still have a brilliant story backed up with interesting historical facts (as long as you can learn to read between the lines of fact and fiction). For the majority of the game you play Connor Kenway, a native American who's father is a British Templar. Throughout the campaign you will earn your Assassin's garb, traverse the colonial US cities of New York and Boston along with a vast wilderness, engage pirates on the high seas and assassinate some very naughty people. I commend Ubisoft for their approach to the story, they could have easily turned it into a British hate fest like the god awful Mel Gibson film "The Patriot" but they didn't. They craft believable characters in a believable world, while the main enemy are the Redcoats and the Templars it's not always this clear cut. There are allies and enemies on both sides. Free running is as exhilarating as ever (despite the odd hiccup that will have you cursing), the combat is satisfying but feels dumbed-down if you are used to previous games in the series. Hunting animals for resources and sailing the Aquila Assassin ship on various sea missions add brilliant new mechanics to the series, raiding forts, ambushing patrols and taking on crowds of bad guys are very enjoyable. There are optional objectives for the story missions, some are fun but others just feel so counter productive often coming close to conflicting with the main objective. A good example of this comes late on in the game where you have to chase "Bad guy A", your objective is to chase him down and question him. The optional objective is "do not shove anyone", this includes your target (you have to tackle him, even though tackling and shoving both have the same end result of him on the floor not running). A lot of the time the game also never tells you of certain optional objectives until you have failed them, so this resulted in me chasing him around for an hour while people got in my way before realising I could tackle him.The stealth in the game does take a hit from the lack of a crouch button, you will auto crouch in long grass but as soon as this ends you stand bolt upright which doesn't help if you are sneaking around areas heavily guarded by enemies, you might as well shout down a megaphone announcing your arrival. I never played the series for its multiplayer but I gave it a brief go here and in AC: Brotherhood, it feels solid and makes a nice change from the usual capture the flag and deathmatch of most online games. AC3 is a good game, but if you have played AC: Brotherhood, you will notice how much was removed and ask yourself "why did it take 3 years to make this game that has less features?". If you haven't played an Assassin's Creed game before, this game will definitely keep you entertained but I recommend you play the previous games in the series so you don't miss out on the overall story and in some cases better gameplay. Expand
  91. Dec 27, 2012
    I wish the previews or the notes on the box said something about the missions I've actually had to go thru so far. "Enjoy missions where you... walk... slowly... listening to conversation." Ugh... I get a mission where I have to walk with someone, and listen to info related to the story, which I don't care about. Of course the person I'm to follow is walking slower than my slowest speed, so I have to stop and wait for him to catch up or get a few yards ahead of me. Who designed these "missions" and thought they'd be fun? It would be different if the conversation was clues to the next mission or something, but it's just random jibber-jabber about characters in the story which I'm already disregarding because the cut cenes are lame too! Why do developers treat their cutscenes like they're right out of a movie? We don't get distinct facial expressions or mannerisms so watching 2 wooden characters move arbitrarily while having a conversation is not anything particularly interesting. At least speed it up; we don't have to watch a guy drink a beer, slam the mug down, shake his head, turn his head, then start to speak do we? I'm skipping most of these by now... Also, several times as the game moves along, they will drop you just outside the building you're supposed to go in, then you take 8 steps to enter the building and the cutscene starts. Why not just start the cutscene instead of making we wait for the town to load, and take 8 steps, and then wait for the cutscene to load? Eavesdrop missions are nothing near being fun. Plus if you get spotted by mistake, you have to start from the beginning of the mission, and listen to the same lame dialogue again to get to the part you messed up on. I rage-quit over on these a couple times, because I'd get spotted by someone off-camera and have to start over. Then there's the great "new" addition to the AC franchise: running in snow! It's bad enough I have to commute across the entire map to get to the next mission, accidentally trying to climb every fence and tree stump I get too close to, but when I hit the woods I'm now "running" in 3 feet of snow, and it slows the already annoying chore down to sheer agony. I've been playing for hours, in the hopes that I'll get to something that is fun in this game, but am near the point of adding this to my trade-in pile. AC2 had some great buildings to climb and the dungeon puzzles, which was fun. Instead of that I have a chase mission riding a horse I can barely control thru the woods, and am bumping in to every tree and rock along the way. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but in an AC game I want to be able to explore, collect, and take missions with freedom to decide how I want to play. Why am I penalized for killing someone? Some missions have restrictions "complete mission without killing anyone" in a game called "Assassin's Creed"..? So far, not good... I'm giving this a "4" just on the anticipation I have this game will get better, based on what I enjoyed from previous games. Expand
  92. May 8, 2013
    I really wanted to enjoy this game. But there are very large flaws in it that prevent me from remembering it in a positive light.

It does have good strengths. Colonial America feels vast and suitably unique and fresh in the usual library of swords and armor adventure games. There's always something to do, always something to take a look at and have fun with. And the cities feel very
    interesting and lifelike. In addition, naval combat was surprisingly fun. It felt brilliantly epic to watch and hear a ship get obliterated by a full broadside from my cannons. And the multiplayer was as unique, involving and fun as it was in previous games.

But then the big flaws drag everything down. For a start the game is buggy as hell. This would really break the immersion of the places I was in. Sometimes an NPC would just walk between two charcacters during a cinematic. Not cool. Second was that while Haytham is an interesting character to start off as, making me wait for 6 sequences before the game opened up was not good design. Then there was the Desmond storyline, which was just utterly disappointing.The plot twists get increasingly plain stupid, the Abstergo villain turns out to be a gigantic and I never had any more reasons to start giving a damn about the whole storyline. The eventual fate of Desmond indicates Ubisoft didn't either.

But what really breaks the game is the level design. In every mission it constantly puts secondary objectives, game-over-if-you-are-seen restrictions and boundaries everywhere. There's not even a way to turn off the optional objectives from your screen. And every time you didn't get one of them right the game just loves to remind you of your failure with a big red cross at the end of the mission. This pissed me off to no end because it made me feel as if I was being punished for not playing the game THEIR way. In an open world game, where there are often multiple solutions to a problem, this is just terrible mission design.

I wanted to like it, but in the end, I didn't feel like it was worth the hype. Not by a long shot.
  93. Aug 15, 2013
    I have been a fan of the Assassin's Creed series since 2008, and played all the console releases so far. This entry in the series shows why the series is so great sometimes, spectacular views, fun combat and nice diversions. But it is a highly flawed game: the main missions force players to do their tasks in a certain manner, combat is frustrating(have to hit a single enemy three times to a row to kill him, should you stop they heal) and the main lead is a rather dull character. But its still a game worth playing, just know its a frustrating and tedious. Expand
  94. Oct 31, 2012
    its amazing how much ubisoft accomplish in this game with the gameplay and setting that just feel magic. in this **** year for gaming i realy look forward to holiday season with this game.
    the story is great and it introduces connor in realistic scenarios without ruinig them and make you feel like part of history (American history). graphics also shine especially in terms of animations
    and the nature, but the same doesnt aplpy for cities because they´re small and empty in my opinion. i think this is the best assassin´s creed game since the second one Expand
  95. Dec 27, 2012
    BORING AND BROKED GAME! 9 or 9.5 for this game is a f#cking joke. Lame characters and lame story that involves the 2012 mayan apocalypse. Yes, it really looks like they wrote the storyline on a restaurant's napkin while taking elements of a popular myth because they couldn't think of creating something new or innovating. The combat system is laughably bad! I can't fight against the british soldiers with a straight face while witnessing the HORRIBLE combat animation and brainless hordes of enemies. The main character (Connor) is more boring than Sheppard! He's so charismatic as a f#cking plant! The lame and tedious story doesn't help either. The only good thing about this game is the Open World , navy battles and the cool ambiance of the colonial USA period, THAT'S IT. Everything else is garbage or boring. Ordinary side missions and the extreme linearity in the main missions are f#cking frustrating! Tons of bugs broke the immersion and irrational AI creates weird situations. Don't buy this game! Expand
  96. Sep 24, 2013
    Finalmente, el sacar una nueva entrega de la saga cada año les ha pasado factura. Lo mejor que tenían los AC no eran los gráficos, ni el combate, sino la historia y la trama en general. Todo queda arruinado en esta "conclusión" hecha deprisa y corriendo (en particular, el protagonista queda muy pobre y sosainas). En general no está muy mal el planteamiento, pero repito, falla la ejecución. Si le hubieran dedicado el tiempo que necesitaba, igual les hubiera quedado mejor. Por lo demás, la mecánica bien, innova algo con respecto a sus predecesores que incluye nuevas áreas más grandes, para hartarse a explorar (cosa que a mí no me llama mucho la atención, la verdad. No creo que "skyrimizar" el juego lo mejore, pero...bueno) y algún que otro cambio -que no mejora- en los combates. Expand
  97. May 27, 2014
    Very good gameplay and graphics. A lot of things changed since the first ACs, but it's still one of my favorites. Walking with Connor through the woods, covered in snow, the naval battles, the tomahawk (haha), all of this make an unique scenario for the Colonial United States.
  98. Jul 3, 2014
    Well lets start by saying im an assassins creed fan. Ive got them all completed them all and loved them all. Ac 3 was a great audition to the series I think the whole map was great, the hunting was good in the snowey forests. Lots of people hated the character but I think he was the best assassin out of them all, maybe im the only one, I loved the story that he wanted to save his little camp and family from the bad guys. I loved going round taking over the forts that were about, I thought that was a nice touch to the game, this isn't my best ac but it is still a 10 for me. Expand
  99. Nov 12, 2012
    Total disappointmet. To break it down in negative terms:

- The cities are lifeless. You can keep on running from A -> B without any interaction as there were in AC:Brotherhood or Red Dead Redemption with people crying for help, or chasing a criminal wheras you could intervene if you'd choose so
    - The story is so confusing. It keeps time-jumping from here to there and new characters are
    introduced ALL THE TIME without any depth.
    - Conner is as interesting as an horses arse. He also lacks humangous depth, as Ezio had.
    - Glitches, glitches and more glitches.
    - Irritation UI where you have to enter the meny every time you wan't to call on the horse or an other action that isn't in the action-wheel. FRUSTRATING AS HELL.
    - Sucky implemention of fighting. Worse than any other AC game.
    - ... I could go on for hours.

+ None. All the negative ones diminish the ones I - at first - thought where positive.
  100. Oct 31, 2012
    Just played the first two sequences and I am already stunned
    The combat is amazing, every action doesn't feel like separate action but chained together
    The animation engine is really good
    There is some glitches but it's nothing that can't be fix
    10/10 and is surely the best Assassin's Creed
  101. Nov 4, 2012

1. Dec 5, 2012
    At least the petty indignities of the multiplayer are optional and situated around gameplay that's solid and unique, if frustratingly stagnant. In the single-player campaign, however, it's impossible to escape the ham-fisted manipulations of the Assassin's Creed III development team.
    Assassin's Creed III is a pretty damn fine game. It loses none of what makes the series fun with the translation to another time and continent, and creates a whole new set of experiences which define the franchise. The biggest issue, if there is one, are the small technical issues, but these niggling technical issues only seem worse because everything else is such a great experience.
    Like any game of such scope, not every part of it is perfect. Yet, taken as a whole, there is very little that can compete with its wonderful, lavish, historical playground. [Issue#91, p.22]