6.7

1. Nov 23, 2012
    There is no denying Ubisoft tries to deliver new things to their fans and strive to be ambitious. However here what hold AC3 back from the previous 4 games is the ending. It is rushed, anticlimatic and unfulfilling. I really wanted to love this game, but it is just too underwhelming to really become memorized.
  2. Nov 25, 2012
    The combat in this game flows so well, it almost feels like a cinematic. That said, it's about as difficult as watching a cinematic. All would be forgiven if the plot were as awesome as the previous titles. It's not.
  3. Nov 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Once more Ubisoft gives us a good quality game in Assassin's Creed III. Pros: The visuals are beautiful, the combat has more challenge, the story and characters are very interesting, the voice acting is solid; the naval missions, though frustrating at times, are a very welcomed addition, and the soundtrack is top notch as always (despite Jesper Kyd not composing it). Cons: As many have stated, there are a million bugs (muskets floating in the air, Connor freezing while running in the frontier, mouths not moving while characters speak, etc.); the optional objectives instead of a challenge they feel like the developers are forcing you to do things in a specific way, which is ironic for a game that speaks about the importance of freedom, side missions are over-complicated at times and pointless (chasing pigs in a farm? really?), the economy system is not as organic as in the previous games. I really appreciate developers wanting to add variety, but if it has no major repercussions in the plot, then there's not much of a point in it. But most of all, the reason I'm giving AC3 a 7 and not a 9 is the ending. Oh my god! It seems written by Damon Lindelof (the "genius" behind Lost and Prometheus), which means a huge build-up that leads to an event with no payoff and only more build-up for things to come instead. I expected to see an actual conclusion to Desmond's story as the developers promised, not the writers leaving things opened. One thing is to create suspense around a story and another is just extending it to the point of making the player / viewer not to care anymore because of how frustrating it became to expect something epic and not coming. Along with Batman: Arkham City and The Dark Knight Rises, AC3 has the most disappointing ending I've ever seen. Expand
  4. Nov 25, 2012
    Free-running through the trees in the forest is great, hackng redcoats with a tomahawk is satisfying, and the story keeps you engaged from the beginning. I had a lot of fun playing through this game. This is a fun game, if you have been thinking about getting it I would go ahead and pick it up.
  5. Nov 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, let me just say, there are spoilers, minor, but still. Now, I really thought this game was the best game that was ever created graphically. The scenery of the game was purely beautiful. The graphics were basically flawless! I hesitated playing when I picked it up on the day it was released. The story was really slow and boring. Playing as Haythem was new because he was a Templar, It was the first time in the franchise you could play as a Templar. It also sparked a plot twist, and that was, one of Desmond's ancestor's weren't an assassin. Later on, the story was making little sense because if he was a Templar why was he doing all the good an assassin does? It made little sense, but other than that and a few other glitches, I enjoyed the game. The ending was very stupid too. There will be an Assassins Creed 4, I just don't get how it'll get done. But, if you're on the fence of buying this game, make sure you've played the 4 others first before playing this one. But if you have played all the others, and you're wondering if you should get this, I suggest you should. Really great game, with TONS of stuff to do and a HUGE map to travel after you've beaten the main story mode. Expand
  6. Nov 5, 2012
    Mixed emotions on this one. But Assassins Creed III still has that "6 hours feels like 1 hour" feeling.

Being an Assassins Creed fan since AC:1, I've loved every single game mainly for the main character and their development through the game. Connor didn't really have the same effect on me from the opening scenes as quick as Ezio and Altair did - yet he has start to grow on me as the game progressed.

The game play is different. It doesn't seem to have the same structure as the previous instalments had, but the new mechanics do have their strong points. The free run mechanic in tree tops for example. When Ubisoft said that would be a new feature - my first thought was "that's gonna wreck my brain" but I have to admit they've got it quite right. All be it quite frustrating at times when climbing vertically, but running through forests flows seamlessly and quickly. You can't help but feel like a bad ass when running through trees quicker than what you would through the streets of Boston. The combat. Although it seems quite similar to the last games, with the chain kill system still in place, I couldn't help but feel like the countering system can sometimes be a bit sloppy. Some bugs have crept up during the game too - but the game is only one week old so that really is an unfair statement. Also the lack of thorough "how to's" at the start of the game did make me sympathise for newbies to the Assassins Creed world - and myself for some of the new mechanics when rushing through the game. The sailing. The sea missions have really surprised me. The game play is clean, simplistic (once you get the hang of it) and really makes you feel like a bad ass. This one however did have a tutorial beforehand, which did fill me with a bit more confidence before setting out. The game offers several different separate side missions based on the open seas. Great fun, and a definite bad ass feeling.

The graphics. Outstanding. If you've played Assassins Creed Revelations not long before AC:III then hopefully you can fully appreciate the step up in graphics. They're most appreciated from a high synchronization viewpoint in the frontier or from the helm of your ship while sailing the Atlantic. They're crisp, clean and the motions of Connor/Desmond make the game feel a lot more real and physical. A new mechanic they've introduced as well is Weather Change. Never before done in the other instalments, you see the game and the landscapes in all four season. It gives the game a whole new feel, and the maps largely differ depending on which season you play on. The graphics further boost this experience, with foot prints, tracking and wildlife really giving a realistic environment.

The sound. It can glitch at occasion. I play with the subtitles on, and at times the words will be appearing but neither characters will be saying anything. This again is only a week old game, and I can't pick on that too much. The wildlife sounds while hunting, which itself again is a brand new and very effective feature, greatly improves the experience while exploring the frontier. The war and gunfire sounds again support the different environments explored during the American Revolution.

Multiplayer is the only thing I haven't touched yet, but from what I've heard - it does what it says on the tin and more from previous multiplayer instalments.

On a whole - I do enjoy this game and I've only played a weeks worth of the game before all the bug patches etc but it really has answered the fans calls. The game play - although I feel has suffered in terms of Combat - has greatly increased and offers many new mechanics to play around with while watching Connor grow. Connor isn't the most exciting character (As of yet anyway) but he does host the game well and creates a great story to play through with his ethnic background. One thing I can say - the reason why it couldn't score 10/10 was I can't help but feel it's a bit short and feels a little rushed. The story could consist of a bit more, although the side missions to span on for quite some time (disregarding the Desmond storyline which itself answers many questions left unanswered SPOILERS) but still could've had more. Amazing new game play and mechanics additions. Great graphic step-up. Few small tweaks are there and do a lot of good. More than you could ask for for the Hardcore Assassin. New character could be better but does his job. Could be longer. More of a tutorial is needed. Bugs - which will be fixed. Keep up the good work Ubisoft! Still got one committed fan right here!
  7. Nov 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Assassin's Creed 3 is probably one of the best Assassin's Creed to date. I'm just going to start with the Pros. I. LOVE the combat system. It is so refined from the previous games. Animations are superb from running and jumping along roof tops, to killing 20 redcoats in a matter of seconds with its amazing chain kill sequences. Its overall appearance is sexy. Some graphical glitches like texture pop ins are present but barley noticeable. Story is excellent and Connor is more of a bad ass than Ezio. Might I add the Captain Kidd missions are very fun as well! The Multiplayer is the same but it is better than revelations. It shouldn't be the MAIN reson to get the game. Now the Cons. Although the climbing looks fantastic it feels like a step back. I would find myself running away from guards and when I would turn a corner, I would randomly run up a wall and then die. It happened to me so many times that I would want to tear my face off. Another con is that (WARNING SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!) you don't get to play as Connor until about the 5th Sequence. That's almost half of the damn game. I felt as if during those 5 sequences the game was taken from me. I wanted to play as Connor really bad because the person you play as in the beginning kind of sucked. He was very plain and he was very unrelatable. I felt bored for the most part. But as soon as I played as Connor it felt as I just bit into the juiciest part of the steak. God it felt good to finally play as a bad ass. If you're a fan of brutal combat, compelling story and...well learning about history, give Assassin's Creed 3 a try. But if you want fast paced I would recommend something else because the beginning will have you drooling with boredom. Overall it isn't the best game, but its on my list of my top 5 favorite games with a solid #3 spot. Expand
  8. Nov 6, 2012
    The Assassin's Creed game I was looking forward to. Incredibly fluid combat and movement, beautiful graphics, and finally an arching (rather than holding pattern) story. The storytelling in this game is also fantastic, as Ubisoft really made an effort to 'show' rather than 'tell' events, and avoid cut scenes as much as possible. As someone who didn't particularly like Brotherhood orThe Assassin's Creed game I was looking forward to. Incredibly fluid combat and movement, beautiful graphics, and finally an arching (rather than holding pattern) story. The storytelling in this game is also fantastic, as Ubisoft really made an effort to 'show' rather than 'tell' events, and avoid cut scenes as much as possible. As someone who didn't particularly like Brotherhood or Revelations, seeing AC3 take the best elements of those games, and refining and improving them was great. Very little (aside from the board game mini-games) is wasted in this game, and even the parts of the game that you do for the sake of doing them, such as collectibles and naval battles, are still fun. While the ending is very abrupt, AC3 is a solid candidate for Game of the Year in my book. Expand
  9. Nov 15, 2012
    The story is boring at times and has a very slow start. Also, the shadows look odd on character's faces and trees during cutscenes. Besides that, there is a lot of content and value in this game.
  10. Nov 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Je l'ai trouvé super car il y a de super graphisme. Une très bonne qualité de manipulation de Cornnor et Etam. Le mode en ligne n'est pas beaucoup améliorer par contre c'est pour sa que je mes 9/10 Expand
  11. Nov 18, 2012
    Pros-
    Navel battles are **** awesome
    So much details and Thematic Period Environments Extensive and Fully Featured Multiplayer Modes Great Cinematics and well Voice Acting Cons- The **** Blinding White Loading Screens pissed me off All Major Set Piece Battles are Disappointing and its not like the trailers Pointless Side Activities seriously they are just pointless Terrible
    Pros-

Terrible Ending to Desmond Storyline FUUUUCCCCKK SAKES
    Rooftop gameplay diminished GRRRRRRRRRRR
    but overall this game was good i give it a 7/10
  12. Nov 21, 2012
    It might not be the revolution we were expecting but it's pretty damn good. The game is brought down by it's numerous technical issues, but the sheer amount of things to do, the story and the fun combat make it a great addition to the series.

As for the ending, it was disappointing but it i not as bad as people say. Overall, I think it is the best Assassin's Creed game, with AC2 coming very close.
  13. Nov 21, 2012
    Being a huge Creed fan, I felt compelled to review it. The combat and economics are a step backward, but at the same time, many things such as travel have been streamlined. The naval missions were a nice addition to the formula. This is by no means a bad game. I enjoyed it very much. That being said, if you are a master/fan of Brotherhood and Revelations, there is a little bit of aBeing a huge Creed fan, I felt compelled to review it. The combat and economics are a step backward, but at the same time, many things such as travel have been streamlined. The naval missions were a nice addition to the formula. This is by no means a bad game. I enjoyed it very much. That being said, if you are a master/fan of Brotherhood and Revelations, there is a little bit of a relearning curve. Lastly, for the first time, I found Desmond's non Animus story to be more involving than that of the Assassin you control. Expand
  14. Nov 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Although a great game overall, I do have a few issues with the game. Nothing that really breaks it, as most of my complaints spawn from optional aspects of the game.
    I did enjoy much of the story, including Desmond's, surprisingly, as he has managed to bore me as much as possible, serving as an annoyance that took me out of the action. This time around, you get to play a handful of brief, linear, but interesting story driven missions, that serve to conclude his plot very nicely. However, as is common with all Assassin's Creed games, a curveball is thrown at the last second and leaves us with yet another cliffhanger. (You didn't honestly think Ubisoft would quit such a successful, iconic franchise here, do you?)
    Back in the time of revolutionary America is where you'll spend most of your adventure. I will try to avoid spoilers here, but the intro character you play as for a good 3 hours before you jump into Connor's shoes can be a bit boring, up until you get to the very last mission where you play as him.
    Once you step into Connor's shoes, things tend to be a bit linear for a few hours before you finally get to explore the world around you, which is really where the game shines. The characters he meets are pretty interesting, and the founding fathers are portrayed accurately, as opposed to some ungodly saints who could do not wrong as they uplifted humanity's destined holy land from the tyrannical oppression of the British-the game confronts issues where America's revolution was flawed, and hypocritical, generally had a pretty neutral view of the revolution.
    However, none of this really makes the plot less boring. It is an interesting piece of history, but not in an Assassin's Creed kind of way. The problem with moving forward through history is that things shift to more speeches and political maneuvering rather than stabbing people and bludgeoning each other with maces. While the stabbing that you do get to do is fun when you do it, it seems kind of repressed, like being an assassin is no longer the main focus of the game. Even though this is unarguably better than the first assassin's creed, the first one was undeniably about stabbing people, but as the series goes on, more and more optional crap is shoved in our faces that at times I forgot it wasn't called Artisan's Creed. You do tedious side missions on the homestead so you can craft items to sell. You then use this money to buy expensive upgrades for a ship, to do side missions, to open up trade routes to sell more things. It all seems a bit like a facebook game, and the game really doesn't need that. Luckily, all of this is optional, and it really doesn't matter if you don't do this, because your skills are as good as they'll ever be. Even though you don't become an assassin as Connor until about a third of the way through the game, it seems like the only change between him being just some random native american to being a full fledged trained assassin is that he put on some bathrobes with a hood on it. When you were Ezio or Altair in the first few games, you actually felt you were becoming a better assassin as you progressed, getting better and better equipment to aid you, but your abilities are pretty much unchanged from start to finish.
    Some of the story missions can seem pretty linear, especially the chase sequences. This goes especially for perfectionists who want that "perfect sync" option. I miss the structure of Creed I and II, where the game gave you a target, and you, the player, had to logically think about how you wanted to carry out the mission, methodically planning how to pick off your target. But in this installment, the game gives you a very clear path to your target, almost like the game is telling you, "Yes, you can have fun anyway you want, but wouldn't you rather have fun my way? I'll give you a prize you'll probably never use if you play the game exactly the way I want you to!"
    Despite my criticisms, this is a genuinely good game. Like I said, if you want to ignore all the optional missions and objectives, there's nothing to force you to do that. The new game engine is very impressive, and the giant battles you get to take part in are impressive because of it, namely the battle of bunker hill, which I replay almost every time I fire up the game. Some of the chase sequences can be rigid, but overall nothing should stop you from picking up this game; the combat is fun, Desmond's story is wrapped up, the visuals are great, and tree running is just as fun as you would think it is, and then some.
  15. Dec 2, 2012
    AC III it's a bad story, a bad character and many bugs, many many bugs. Is this a Beta ? This game is a shame for every fan. The end of the Desmond story arc is just confused. Lame. Boring. But with superb graphics... well... not enough to make a good game.
  16. Jun 24, 2013
    This game had a lot of hype surrounding it. It was suppose to reinvent the world of Assassin's Creed as we knew it. Did it succeed? Well, sort of.

The game is very interesting, don't get me wrong. However, the primary issue here is a lack of centralization. There are so many things to see and do, but none of them are particularly interesting. The main story is bland (especially the story surrounding Desmond), the gameplay can be mundane at times, and the game just doesn't feel as tight as the other entries.
    It's a great game, but it does too much with little focus on any specific aspect.

There are two things that really make this game great:
    1. The sailing segments are awesome, full of intense combat and excellent atmosphere.
    2. The sound-track is amazing, boasting some of the best tunes in the Assassin's Creed franchise.

Give this game a try; it might just click with you. For me, it just wasn't quite as good as the other entries in the series. It is better than Revelations, though. That's for sure.
  17. Mar 2, 2013
    Yes a "0" for a score. I was very upset that the first sceen that I was in battle (Cornfields at the beginning), the guys carrying the chest were stuck behind an outhouse. They couldn't move, and I couldn't continue the quest. Also, the Autosave thing is annoying and I would prefer to save whenever I want. 3rd, try running through Boston and not accidently climb a building... Impossible...
  18. ERB
    Nov 15, 2013
    Assassin's Creed III may not be as good as Assassin's Creed II but I should admit this game is still awesome.The graphics are beautiful and the world of Assassin's Creed is so huge.There are also many interactions in this game like petting the animals,bribing people and more.The actions in this game is so cool I mean it has cool techniques and assassination moves and more.The game play inAssassin's Creed III may not be as good as Assassin's Creed II but I should admit this game is still awesome.The graphics are beautiful and the world of Assassin's Creed is so huge.There are also many interactions in this game like petting the animals,bribing people and more.The actions in this game is so cool I mean it has cool techniques and assassination moves and more.The game play in this game is fun and some time even funny like where you eavesdrop two people talking and like they spotted you and they want to kill you and if you crouch in the bushes or grasses they won't notice.Even if they are near you.I laughed so hard and I think in there time they believe in man-plants so they thought that you were a man-plant so they ignored you.So I can tell that this game will satisfy you not just the story of this game but all of them.

This game is great.I love this game.I recommend you to buy this game because it is just great.If you are looking for a fun game to play here it is,Assassin's Creed III is an awesome game so try downloading this game or try buying It.I'm telling you this game is God damn fun.
  19. Aug 5, 2013
    My review on Assassin's creed 3

SINGLE PLAYER: 8.5/10. outstanding story, great twists and turns. HATE connor, for some reason GRAPHICS: 9.75/10. breathtaking. besides a few glitches. simply outstanding SOUND: 8.5/10. great sound design, decent voice acting MULTIPLAYER: 9/10. lots of game modes and maps, very unique approach. do not like that you can buy your way through the unlocks
    My review on Assassin's creed 3

GRAPHICS: 9.75/10. breathtaking. besides a few glitches. simply outstanding
    SOUND: 8.5/10. great sound design, decent voice acting
    GAMEPLAY: 8.5/10. fluid controls, lots of fun mechanics. sadly plagued with quite a few glitches. though.
    FUN FACTOR: 9/10. very fun game, lots of content
    TOTAL: 9/10
  20. Oct 22, 2013
    I love the AC games and I feel like this isn't a terrible entry but I think they strayed to far from the stealth mechanics of the previous games. And it is way to easy to get out of impossible situations
  21. Oct 31, 2013
    This game might be entertaining, but it is a little bit boring. The storyline is a bit too draggy too. I liked the soundtrack of this game, A LOT. I think ubisoft should not have added 4 sequences of us playing as Haytham, because playing as him is extremely boring.
  22. Dec 28, 2013
    The single player makes you feel exactly like you are actually in the colonies. The mechanics in the gameplay were next to flawless and what was even better is the naval combat. The graphics were great and the A.I needed a tiny bit more work but still it was great. The only bad thing is the multiplayer was greatly uninspired and nobody likes the Desmond part. Overall, great game.
  23. Mar 7, 2013
    Assassins Creed 3 feels like a remarkable step forward for the AC franchise. The Countryside blooms with greenery and rural pastures. The cities are bustling and there are some remarkable sights to behold, especially in the new naval battles. The combat is much improved, with advanced AI, demanding strategic fighting acumen to fend off. Unfortunately despite the brilliance, AC3 has the badAssassins Creed 3 feels like a remarkable step forward for the AC franchise. The Countryside blooms with greenery and rural pastures. The cities are bustling and there are some remarkable sights to behold, especially in the new naval battles. The combat is much improved, with advanced AI, demanding strategic fighting acumen to fend off. Unfortunately despite the brilliance, AC3 has the bad habit of giving you excellent missions, with grandeur aesthetics and a palpable sense of scale, right before giving you tedious missions where one misstep triggers an instant failure. Connor is also an emotionless bore, really anchoring the sense of attachment which made Ezio so lovable and endearing. Assassins Creed 3 is a great sequel in a franchise filled with great games. But this isn't the AC we expected, for every brilliant mission comes a handful of truly rote and unfair ones. Luckily AC3 at its best provide some of the greatest moments in the franchise. Expand
  24. Nov 20, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 3 is a great time-step forward for the franchise. It brings new characters, familiar moments of American history, sea combat, family rivalry, and the other typical AC franchise elements under one roof. This makes the game more vast and complex than ever before. Sometimes, the complexity betrays itself. I never felt like I totally understood the crafting system wellAssassin's Creed 3 is a great time-step forward for the franchise. It brings new characters, familiar moments of American history, sea combat, family rivalry, and the other typical AC franchise elements under one roof. This makes the game more vast and complex than ever before. Sometimes, the complexity betrays itself. I never felt like I totally understood the crafting system well enough before taking to the internet to get some more info from other players that had spent more time with it. The graphics are the best of the franchise on consoles and runs noticeably smoother than previous entries. While the awesome addition of assassin brethren from Brotherhood is still around, it felt way more sidelined and unnecessary to invest in. Other than that, you could make the case that this is the best foot forward AC has made since AC2 and was well worth my time. If I could make one gripe: the free-running mechanics are both improved and broken at the same time. Numerous times I would make leaps or climbs that I wasn't intending to make. On top of that, the British Artificial Intelligence were at times buggy and would detect me while Incognito and just walking down the street. These bits occasionally disrupted the game so harshly that it became frustrating and nearly inexcusable. The good news is that these experiences, while rough and disruptive, weren't too common and seemed to be non issues during most of the main story missions. Expand
  25. Nov 28, 2012
    Meh. I had a hard time completing this one. Graphics were good, fighting was pretty good, sorry was ho hum. The glitches... And so early on in the game. One of the first missions I took cover and flew straight up into the air and fell to my death. Amusing, but annoying from a AAA game. I would say rent it but you probably won't finish it. I expected much better I suppose.
  26. Dec 15, 2012
    The idea is great. But in my opinion, a game with bugs cannot be considered a finished game. Also I have to complain to being forced to buy additional content if I'd like to play more missions, which of course, is pointless to me if I've already completed the game's main story.

I was aiming very high on this one, because it's focused on my favourite era, but the results are not worthy of an enterprise like Ubisoft. The thing that impressed me more are the ending credits. I can't figure how so many people worked for this... This game is the pure capitalism's expression.
  27. Aug 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really loved the WTF! moments in the storyline. These moments remain unsurpassed by any such moments in the original games, apart from maybe the ending to AC1 which everyone kinda saw coming anyway. The Haytham stuff was very well done, and the conclusion to that relationship with Connor seemed both inevitable and tragic.

The graphics are an obvious improvement on the previous games. I know this as I completed AC: Revelations and then went straight on to AC3. Character models are great and there is real depth. However, there have been buggy moments throughout and I have to wonder if the current-gen is being pushed to its absolute limit, or if we have some lazy debugging?

I felt like this was a very linear AC game. That I was being led towards the next mission and that any side-quests (and other stuff) was all there as filler. There seems to be very scant reward for doing many of the side-missions and, often, they would just get in the way. This is odd to me as I have always made an effort to 100% these games in the past here, I just don't care and can't be arsed. Maybe I'm Assassins Creed-ed out? After playing two games consecutively?

Connor is very dull, bless him. I suppose I warmed to him in the end, particularly with the Haytham stuff and the DLC, but when pitched against the mighty Ezio, he is just a sullen boy with confusing morals. I'd have much rather played the whole game with Haytham!

The whole currency system seems completely broken and money is at a real premium. In the crucible of the New World where there were many fortunes to be made, this seems to be at odds with the timeline. There is no chance of making enough money to buy items and upgrades from your usual activities and missions. So now we move to hunting (not much to be had there) and the very broken trading system. Which is not explained well enough. And in the era of paperless manuals "it's on the disc" things need to be explained really well, people! As did the new assassins guild(?) system which also felt very broken when compared to the silky, seamless offering in Ezio's world.

I hate climbing trees. I used to love climbing trees as a lad, but not in this game. In fact, I reckon that I could have scaled some of the trees myself faster than Connor's utterly ridiculous jumping around on the spot, or to his death antics that I have often experienced. User error, you might ask? Possibly. But the trigger system of free running often leads Connor to take short breaks to catch his breath so you feel it necessary to push the jump button and then, a few seconds later, find yourself to be bear chow with 97% percent of your bones shattered on an unforgiving frontier ground.

And bears? WTF? There seems to be one place in the frontier where bears must be respawning cos I killed 6 or 7 of the bastards before I legged it! Did I stumble on Beartown?

Guns are annoying. It takes away the fluidity from combat that we were able to demonstrate with Altair and Ezio and makes everything too busy for me. Also, is it just me, or are half of the British army in one borough of Boston or New York at any one time? No wonder the British lost the war it's because seven batallions were busy chasing some native kid around the streets of Boston! It seems to become quite unfair too quickly. And given that stealth is often a near-impossible option, the game can become quickly frustrating.

Desmond. To paraphrase another scribe, "What the f*ck was that all about?" Given that it was a completely unsatisfactory journey, I suppose that it was inevitable that it would be a completely unsatisfactory ending! I didn't mind the modern-day stuff. I actually found jumping around skyscrapers, Abstergo and UFC PPVs a nice distraction from Connor's dull life. And it was nice to see Desmond being quite bad-ass. But the backstory between the Templars and Assassins now seems likely to be shelved for an altogther more supernatural, sci-fi, whatever paint-by-numbers plot in future ACs. The Templars vs Assassins plot was fine for me I didn't really care where these items came from (e.g. Apple of Eden) just that they were powerful, important, and progressed the storyline.

And Lucy is dead. Well I'll never get back all those hours in AC1 that I spent chatting her up then! And BTW, that spoiler was given out by the production team at last year's Eurogamer when they started their demo with "Yes! Lucy IS dead!" Spoilers, people! The fact that it took place in some crappy Minecraft crossover DLC is a real slap in the face for such a major character in the modern plot. Not good. And the same production team from Ubisoft proudly presented the tree climbing stuff at Eurogamer. I should have seen that coming.

In conclusion, I found AC3 to be frustrating and pleasurable in fairly equal amounts. Too linear in places. Broken side-quests. Fiddly. But good characters. A beautiful world to play in. Ship battles were VERY good fun, which bodes well for AC4. Liked the stories.
  28. Nov 12, 2014
    Amazing game. I don't see how anyone could dispute that statement. I'd never played an AC game before this but can now appreciate it's standing as one of the best modern game series. Technically it's pretty mindblowing what Ubi have been able to achieve on aging console hardware. It's obscenely detailed and captivating on many levels: period atmosphere, freedom of movement, intricate storyAmazing game. I don't see how anyone could dispute that statement. I'd never played an AC game before this but can now appreciate it's standing as one of the best modern game series. Technically it's pretty mindblowing what Ubi have been able to achieve on aging console hardware. It's obscenely detailed and captivating on many levels: period atmosphere, freedom of movement, intricate story and massive gameworld. My personal favorite element were the naval battles ..just stunning. Ubisoft have set the bar crazy high with this. Expand
  29. Oct 16, 2013
    Unlike most people, I actually like this game better than Assassin's Creed II. However, that still doesn't mean that I love this game. As a matter of fact, I have to say that this game is average at best. This game has a lot of the same problems I have had with Assassin's Creed II, but it is still slightly better for other reasons. For one, the graphics have been very much improved.Unlike most people, I actually like this game better than Assassin's Creed II. However, that still doesn't mean that I love this game. As a matter of fact, I have to say that this game is average at best. This game has a lot of the same problems I have had with Assassin's Creed II, but it is still slightly better for other reasons. For one, the graphics have been very much improved. While they are still outdated (not on par with Skyrim or Batman Arkham City, both of which came out a year before this), they are still very good. The gameplay is not too bad either. However, after playing it, I cannot deny its many similarities with Batman Arkham City. That's essentially what the gameplay is as a matter of fact, a toned down version of the combat system in Batman Arkham City. This still makes the gameplay generic like Assassin's Creed II, however, I did love Batman Arkham City's combat system, and I am pretty glad it was used here. The game also has a little more to do in it than Rocksteady's Batman epic, however, most of these tasks are rather boring. Arkham City had Batman solving crimes, while this game has you collecting trinkets for a man you care little about. Naval battles were a nice touch to this game however. It does keep this game from getting too generic like Assassin's Creed II, but considering that they make up less than half of the game's missions, it won't help all that much. The gameplay also still has several glitches, a few of them game-breaking. If Ubisoft really wants this series to be amazing, they need to stop releasing these games with so many bugs in them. The story of this game however, still completely sucks. The present story is still in there, and should be removed from the game entirely. Its plot is confusing as heck, and is still a complete rip-off of the Matrix. As for the story set in the past, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the story is no longer ripping off any comic books (at least, not as much as the last game). The bad news is now it is ripping off another very good movie. This time, it is ripping off Star Wars. The story has you taking control of an Assassin named Luke Skywalker, I mean Connor (who is essentially a Native American version of Batman), who has everything he loves taken from him, his tribe, his mother, everything. He then goes to a wise old mentor named Yoda, I mean Achilles, to teach him the ways of the Jedi, I mean Assassin. He also learns that one of the main villains of this game is his father named Darth Vader, I mean Haytham Kenway. Do you see where I'm saying it is a Star Wars knock-off? The game still has a very unique setting. I do love how it takes place in Colonial times, which is an era not often explored in video games. I also love how it takes place during the American Revolution, however, that does sort of add to how it is a rip-off of Star Wars, as there is another war between the Assassins and Templars happening along with the Americans and British. In Star Wars it was the Rebellion vs. The Empire along with Jedi vs. Sith. Overall, I'd say that this game is an improvement from Assassin's Creed II, but still not a game that I would call great. I'd say that this game is worth a rent at best. However, if you want something better than this, it would probably be for the best that you skip this game entirely, and spend your money on a game like Batman Arkham Asylum or Arkham City. Expand
  30. Mar 25, 2013
    This is what happens when the second game in your series is incredible. You have nowhere else to go so instead you throw in chair making and lumber delivery. It then takes various parts of Red Dead redmptions hunting aspect and fails at them on every level, integration and execution. these are just two of the few problems plaguing the third entry in the series. No longer do you assassinateThis is what happens when the second game in your series is incredible. You have nowhere else to go so instead you throw in chair making and lumber delivery. It then takes various parts of Red Dead redmptions hunting aspect and fails at them on every level, integration and execution. these are just two of the few problems plaguing the third entry in the series. No longer do you assassinate people. That entire mechanic has been so castrated that the game is no longer about it. Compounding this is a serious case of the Kojima's. Overly long cinematics interspersed with a little bit of gameplay. From an artistic standpoint, the game falters from blandness. In AC1 and 2, every local was distinct, in had its own life. This new game misses that, everything feels the same, artistically bland.
    On the plus side, even though the game fails to use its setting properly, the controls show definite promise for use in these environments.
  31. Nov 21, 2012

1. Dec 5, 2012
    At least the petty indignities of the multiplayer are optional and situated around gameplay that's solid and unique, if frustratingly stagnant. In the single-player campaign, however, it's impossible to escape the ham-fisted manipulations of the Assassin's Creed III development team.
    Assassin's Creed III is a pretty damn fine game. It loses none of what makes the series fun with the translation to another time and continent, and creates a whole new set of experiences which define the franchise. The biggest issue, if there is one, are the small technical issues, but these niggling technical issues only seem worse because everything else is such a great experience.
    Like any game of such scope, not every part of it is perfect. Yet, taken as a whole, there is very little that can compete with its wonderful, lavish, historical playground. [Issue#91, p.22]