Assassin's Creed III Xbox 360

6.8

1. Nov 3, 2012
    As a fan of the series since the first, I was somewhat disappointed. Not by the story/graphics, but the constant glitches. As someone else mentioned, it's not a big deal when the glitches aren't game breaking, like when I walked in to Achilles house and laughed upon being greeted by 3 of him leaning on their canes. But when I somehow get attacked by a wolf during a cutscene and after theAs a fan of the series since the first, I was somewhat disappointed. Not by the story/graphics, but the constant glitches. As someone else mentioned, it's not a big deal when the glitches aren't game breaking, like when I walked in to Achilles house and laughed upon being greeted by 3 of him leaning on their canes. But when I somehow get attacked by a wolf during a cutscene and after the dialogue ends, the camera is stuck zoomed in on Connors chest so I can't see where I'm going and have to restart, that's past annoying. This is just one of numerous glitches that made me restart, I really hope Ubi isn't the new Bethesda, shipping glitches instead of games. I had a single glitch in AC1 and 1 in Revelations, honestly, I remember both of the glitches and they weren't repeated or numerous.

With regards to the gameplay itself, they may as well have axed the viewpoints all together, they don't map out everything as they used to (unless this is another glitch). I can't count how many times objectives disappeared off the map or didn't appear until I was actually on top of them. This actually includes general stores etc. that simply disappeared on the map as well. The map doesn't fully appear when an area is explored nor when a viewpoint is activated. Also, the mission structure is bad imo. Many times I found myself wondering where/what I had to do because some side missions just simply start when you're near a npc and it flashes random text while the npc says "thank you". Thanks for what? Walking up to you? Also, I have a homested mission I can't do, as there are no markers for it since I accepted it and went where I was told. Small gripes about the controls aside (some deaths by falling because the game doesn't recognize handholds on trees that are viewpoints) the actual gameplay is great as always. I spent hours hunting and exploring. Didn't mind hand holding during story missions since the meat is free roam. I actually longed for hand holding in the side missions. =( All in all, I'm a AC fan and always will be, but if Ubi makes shipping buggy stuff like this the norm like Bethesda, I'll do what I do with their games now and buy it 6 months later for less and after the 30 patches that ruin more than they fix. Do any developers have playtesting anymore?
  2. Nov 18, 2012
    I like the game, i'm a huge AC fan, bought all the games, love the cultural background, I find the timeline in which the back ground fascinating.

This game however really disappointed me, because really, who cares about the American revolution other than Americans? I find myself instantly losing interest the moment I heard about the setting, but I bought the game anyways in support of my favorite game title. Now, I haven't finished the game yet but I'm rather close, I like the gameplay, but the story leaves much to be desired.

If you like AC for it's action packed joyride then this game is for you.
    If you liked AC's historical content, then you'd be better playing the second one
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    The Assassin's Creed series has always been one for great story telling, impressive graphics and enjoyable game play. Assassin's Creed 3 is a solid, enjoyable game, but fails to achieve the same levels of satisfaction or quality of prior games in the series. AC3 does still have a brilliant story backed up with interesting historical facts (as long as you can learn to read between theThe Assassin's Creed series has always been one for great story telling, impressive graphics and enjoyable game play. Assassin's Creed 3 is a solid, enjoyable game, but fails to achieve the same levels of satisfaction or quality of prior games in the series. AC3 does still have a brilliant story backed up with interesting historical facts (as long as you can learn to read between the lines of fact and fiction). For the majority of the game you play Connor Kenway, a native American who's father is a British Templar. Throughout the campaign you will earn your Assassin's garb, traverse the colonial US cities of New York and Boston along with a vast wilderness, engage pirates on the high seas and assassinate some very naughty people. I commend Ubisoft for their approach to the story, they could have easily turned it into a British hate fest like the god awful Mel Gibson film "The Patriot" but they didn't. They craft believable characters in a believable world, while the main enemy are the Redcoats and the Templars it's not always this clear cut. There are allies and enemies on both sides. Free running is as exhilarating as ever (despite the odd hiccup that will have you cursing), the combat is satisfying but feels dumbed-down if you are used to previous games in the series. Hunting animals for resources and sailing the Aquila Assassin ship on various sea missions add brilliant new mechanics to the series, raiding forts, ambushing patrols and taking on crowds of bad guys are very enjoyable. There are optional objectives for the story missions, some are fun but others just feel so counter productive often coming close to conflicting with the main objective. A good example of this comes late on in the game where you have to chase "Bad guy A", your objective is to chase him down and question him. The optional objective is "do not shove anyone", this includes your target (you have to tackle him, even though tackling and shoving both have the same end result of him on the floor not running). A lot of the time the game also never tells you of certain optional objectives until you have failed them, so this resulted in me chasing him around for an hour while people got in my way before realising I could tackle him.The stealth in the game does take a hit from the lack of a crouch button, you will auto crouch in long grass but as soon as this ends you stand bolt upright which doesn't help if you are sneaking around areas heavily guarded by enemies, you might as well shout down a megaphone announcing your arrival. I never played the series for its multiplayer but I gave it a brief go here and in AC: Brotherhood, it feels solid and makes a nice change from the usual capture the flag and deathmatch of most online games. AC3 is a good game, but if you have played AC: Brotherhood, you will notice how much was removed and ask yourself "why did it take 3 years to make this game that has less features?". If you haven't played an Assassin's Creed game before, this game will definitely keep you entertained but I recommend you play the previous games in the series so you don't miss out on the overall story and in some cases better gameplay. Expand
  4. Oct 30, 2012
    I just took this promising 3rd instalment for a test run, and because of it's sheer size, (and mostly because it just came out today), I'm in no position to post an accurate and objective review.. Which is why I'm giving it a 10/10. So far so good! So good that Assassins could prove to be even cooler than Zombies.
  5. Dec 7, 2012
    Assassin's Creed III is a disappointing new instalment in the Assassin's Creed series; though having a good story, it is ruined by bland graphics, not so likeable characters, plenty of bugs and a hit and miss ending. This is one of the weakest instalments, but better than Revelations.
  6. Nov 1, 2012
    This is the Assassin's Creed we've all been waiting for. Incredible and focused storytelling, wonderful and engrossing new environments to explore, refined and visceral combat; ACIII is ambitious, huge, and very entertaining. The only thing holding this incredible experience back are the technical problems. I think that, with ACIII, we've finally seen what the Xbox can push out. ACIIIThis is the Assassin's Creed we've all been waiting for. Incredible and focused storytelling, wonderful and engrossing new environments to explore, refined and visceral combat; ACIII is ambitious, huge, and very entertaining. The only thing holding this incredible experience back are the technical problems. I think that, with ACIII, we've finally seen what the Xbox can push out. ACIII is incredible graphically, but the poor draw distance, multitude of bugs, strange/annoying glitches and the fact that some mechanics just don't work is just inexcusable, especially coming from such a high pedigree. It's a shame that after four big console releases the AC team refuses to add that layer of polish that would have made ACIII no doubt one of the best games of all time. Not that it isn't a good game, AC3 is filled with content to explore, secrets to uncover, and story to be unraveled at an expert pace. AC3 is a rough diamond. Expand
  7. Jan 5, 2013
    A Complete mixed bag, the series has become Errand-boys Creed. If you like AC Multiplayer, scripted events, tones of side missions, one button combat (I dont) you will like this game. If you expected engaging missions, story, characters and epic battles and assassinations, like the trailers showed, you will not like it. PRESENTATION - 7.5 - The game world is authentic, however the storyA Complete mixed bag, the series has become Errand-boys Creed. If you like AC Multiplayer, scripted events, tones of side missions, one button combat (I dont) you will like this game. If you expected engaging missions, story, characters and epic battles and assassinations, like the trailers showed, you will not like it. PRESENTATION - 7.5 - The game world is authentic, however the story and characters fall completely flat. The Native dialogue is also horrendous compared to say, Dances with Wolves or even Pocahontas. DESIGN - 6.5 - There is a lot of hand holding in the earlier missions. While the gameworld is big, side quests plenty, they are mostly pointless. You hardly ever need to buy weapons or upgrade because the game is so easy. With more visual and gameplay glitches than ever, this is the most unpolished and linear of the Creed games. GRAPHICS - 8.0 - Water and weather effects stand out here everything else is starting to look dated, cutscenes are not as well produced as ACII or ACIIB. AUDIO - 7.0 - The lack of Jesper Kyd can be felt here, with a soundtrack more reminiscent of Inception. VO is fine, but the native VO is terrible. GAMEPLAY - 7.5 - Dumbed down and unengaging in every way. There doesn't seem to be any AI at all. The highlights by far are the sea battles, very theatric and intense. LASTING APPEAL - 6.5 - Firstly, the multiplayer, aside form the game world seems to be the best developed section of the game. I find this disheartening since AC for me has always been about the campaign. Sadly, this game is a complete bore, without such a good multiplayer, lasting appeal would have been a 4.0. Expand
  8. Aug 4, 2013
    the assassins creed series is one of the best series in gaming and the previous installments have all been top quality. however this game is probably the weakest of the series. it is not a bad game but it is just frustrating how good this game could have been. the setting of the game is so interesting and full of mystery and history and as the series is famous for their alternative take onthe assassins creed series is one of the best series in gaming and the previous installments have all been top quality. however this game is probably the weakest of the series. it is not a bad game but it is just frustrating how good this game could have been. the setting of the game is so interesting and full of mystery and history and as the series is famous for their alternative take on the events of the past this is perfect for the series. however the game gets off to an insanely slow start. unfortunately there is so much going on this world yet you are stuck running from objective to objective to watch another cut scene as the game sets it self up. this didn't throw me off the game but left a rather sour taste in my mouth as the game often continued along this path. The game does a fantastic job in terms of graphics and the world yet falls short on creating interesting characters. Connor has no where near the charisma of ezio and the supporting cast other than the main villain, Charles Lee are all relatively stale. The game also does a great job introducing new mechanics and aspects of the game that refresh the series. The addition of hunting, naval battles and the almanacs as the collectibles rather than feathers all feel fresh and exciting in particular the naval battles which for me are the highlight of the game. AC3 also does a great job sticking to its roots as it adapts. the changes to the combat feel natural and the counters are still as brutal and bloody as ever.

AC3 is an enjoyable game but by no means the best game of the series. If the battles between the red and the blue coats had of been completed on a major scale and the character of connor was more likeable then this game could have been right there with AC2 and brotherhood.
  9. Nov 7, 2012
    This game gave me a very conflicted reaction -- I very much wanted to like this game, but I think its main issue lies in the setting. Whilst an Assassins Creed game set in the American Revolutionary War -- filled with tree climbing, tomahawks, horse riding and killing redcoats -- may have sounded like a good idea (and could have been transferred into a working game well, too)This game gave me a very conflicted reaction -- I very much wanted to like this game, but I think its main issue lies in the setting. Whilst an Assassins Creed game set in the American Revolutionary War -- filled with tree climbing, tomahawks, horse riding and killing redcoats -- may have sounded like a good idea (and could have been transferred into a working game well, too) unfortunately this is not really the case. Both Boston and New York's buildings are all only 1 or 2 stories high (not including a few church house spires). A lot of the buildings are set far apart as well. All of this makes the free-running and parkour -- an initial selling point of the series -- feel kind of disjointed and lacking. I think they tried to compensate for this with tree climbing, but this too feels a little disjointed and the only places to practice this are out in the wilderness on rabbits and foxes -- not very mind-blowing. Another little superficial flaw for me was the style of the buildings -- America at this time was a new country, so all of the buildings are small stunted brick and wood houses. This is kind of a step backward from the sprawling marble and white stone vistas I am used to from the games before. This is not to say I do not like this setting (I adored Red Dead Redemption) but it does not really fit the series and it's pre-existing themes very well. The ship combat also felt not needed and very underwhelming. I did enjoy many things about this game however -- as always, the history was rich and charming and some of the scenery did take my breath away. Seasons were a neat change and hunting was a fun little feature. Connor lived up to his hype and was a great guy. The story was vast and fantastic and the ending was immense. However, gameplay should come above all these things, and the parkour and combat both felt disjointed and unfitting. Assassins Creed 3 is a decent game. Pick it up if you have the time. Expand
  10. Nov 17, 2012
    Assassin's Creed 3 - which is actually the fifth game in the whole story arc - is said to be Ubisofts biggest game to date. With huge anticipation and expectation from fans, can Ubisoft deliver on the revolution they have promised to the franchise?

Continuing right after Assassin's Creed Revelation left off, Desmond Miles and crew has set camp in an ancient cave where Desmond can relive the life of his ancestors. In the new setting of the colonial America, we follow Connor, a Mohawk Indian who will become the next assassin. Compared to all the protagonists, Connor is the weakest of them all. He is short spoken, never in a positive mood and is just overall an un compelling main character, but without spoiling anything, Connor is not the only character you will play as.

To be able to walk around 1700's Amerika is impressive and also as beautiful are all the forest. Its just a shame that the game has to load so often and these frequent loading screens will break the immersion. Gameplay wise, Assassins Creed 3 is much of the same. You can still climb the rooftops of Boston and New York, but its not as fun as in the previous games. The colonial America dosn't have as high and fabulous architecture as the Italian renaissance had. But to make up for it, you can for the first time in the franchise to climb on trees. Sadly, it dosent have the same flow as climbing buildings which can make it annoying.

The multyplayer is back and its good as ever. To be able to find and sneak up on your target before another player kills you have never been so heart pumping and fun. With perks to unlock and new gamemodes like Wolfpack - Assassin's Creed version of horde mode - will make you come back many times.

Probably the best addition to this game are the naval battles. To controll your ship, navigating the winds to catch up on your foes and then take them down with your cannons might be the best moments in this game. But with everything new, the game has lost focus of one of the most important aspects. The assassination. It has become less about finding an killing your target before getting seen. There is still some of that in here but not as much as it should.

Beating Assassins Creed 3 can take you 20 hours or so and more if you spend time completing side quests and playing the multyplayer. Even if the setting is nice, sailing your ship through dangerous waters and playing the multyplayer, there are many aspects to discourage players. It takes to long for the game to really begin, it can feel repetitive, the loading occurs to often, the economy system is broken and Connor is sont fun to hang out with. But despite the flaws, Assassins Creed 3 is still a good game. Its not the masterpiece we had hoped for but it is still fun to play. But dont feel surprised if you feel to play the older instalments instead.
  11. Nov 8, 2012
    what seemed to be the best game of the franchise turned into the worst of the main trilogy. The game was clearly rushed to be released during the holiday season, and it has so many glitches and bugs it's not even fun. Even though the story is pretty good and good action, the gameplay and combat are both a lot more fluid... the setting fails, buildings are only about 2 stories tall, theywhat seemed to be the best game of the franchise turned into the worst of the main trilogy. The game was clearly rushed to be released during the holiday season, and it has so many glitches and bugs it's not even fun. Even though the story is pretty good and good action, the gameplay and combat are both a lot more fluid... the setting fails, buildings are only about 2 stories tall, they are like 500 meters apart from each other, which will have you running/on a horse/parkouring more than the actual length of the sequences.

The biggest complain is the glitches to be honest, this game has the best soundtrack (tied with Brotherhood) but it has more glitches than the first one, and this is not acceptable, not in 2012
  12. Aug 15, 2013
    I have been a fan of the Assassin's Creed series since 2008, and played all the console releases so far. This entry in the series shows why the series is so great sometimes, spectacular views, fun combat and nice diversions. But it is a highly flawed game: the main missions force players to do their tasks in a certain manner, combat is frustrating(have to hit a single enemy three times toI have been a fan of the Assassin's Creed series since 2008, and played all the console releases so far. This entry in the series shows why the series is so great sometimes, spectacular views, fun combat and nice diversions. But it is a highly flawed game: the main missions force players to do their tasks in a certain manner, combat is frustrating(have to hit a single enemy three times to a row to kill him, should you stop they heal) and the main lead is a rather dull character. But its still a game worth playing, just know its a frustrating and tedious. Expand
  13. Dec 14, 2013
    Having played AC 1 and 2, I was unsure of where they could take the series as 2 was an incredible piece of work. The answer is they got very ambitious and fell short. The opening is fun once, and by opening I mean first 10 hours. This game is not replayable, too many very long story sequences of linearized gameplay.

The good is that this game is beautiful, vast, complex, and has alot

The good is that this game is beautiful, vast, complex, and has alot of play time in it. Best part hands down were the ship missions. The free run mechanics continue to work great and further variety has been added to combat to keep it from stagnating.

Find this game discounted and it will not disappoint, but not a full retail purchase.
  14. Nov 9, 2012
    Good performance by Ubisoft, but was not worth all the hype it received. The game is very fun, but eventually, some missions get boring and the game is full of glitches and bugs. The game starts off slow, but gets good overtime, but has a near-impossible last mission. Still a buy in the AC series.
  15. Jul 27, 2014
    Assassin Bug III. I think is not a bad game, it´s a really good game, and ok it´s too late to do something years ago. But the bugs kill the game experience, the part of the house it´s great, the documentation of the buildings are nosey, but when you are inside the story and soldiers disappear, the instructions aren´t clear or the target appears in the middle of nothing...
  16. Nov 16, 2012
    Assassin's Creed III is a very fun at times predictable game. The graphics are great the storyline is decent but the thing about AC3 that troubles me is the glitches and the ending but I'm not going to talk about that because of Spoiling it for someone, the other thing about it is the stealth mode where its sometimes rediciouls than anyone would spot an assassin in the grass but overall IAssassin's Creed III is a very fun at times predictable game. The graphics are great the storyline is decent but the thing about AC3 that troubles me is the glitches and the ending but I'm not going to talk about that because of Spoiling it for someone, the other thing about it is the stealth mode where its sometimes rediciouls than anyone would spot an assassin in the grass but overall I will say that AC3 is a good game and one of the best this year. Expand
  17. Nov 25, 2012
    The combat in this game flows so well, it almost feels like a cinematic. That said, it's about as difficult as watching a cinematic. All would be forgiven if the plot were as awesome as the previous titles. It's not.
  18. Dec 30, 2012
    Yes, the Assassin's Creed III I had high hopes for this one. They were maybe a bit too high, the game wasn't able to deliver everything. The gameplay starts to get repetitive at some point but what the heck. I enjoy the naval battles, I enjoy them a lot. But there is just something that misses. I am not sure if it is the main character Connor, for he hasn't got the charisma of Ezio. Or theYes, the Assassin's Creed III I had high hopes for this one. They were maybe a bit too high, the game wasn't able to deliver everything. The gameplay starts to get repetitive at some point but what the heck. I enjoy the naval battles, I enjoy them a lot. But there is just something that misses. I am not sure if it is the main character Connor, for he hasn't got the charisma of Ezio. Or the constant bugs. Oh the bugs. I almost started to cry at one point. The game is at it's best more than amazing, sadly it can't deliver that amazing feeling all the time. Why would I follow a guy if I could just beat the crap outta him? Oh we'll. at least the combat and moving has been made a lot more fluid. Now it feels like you are controlling a master assassin. Nice work. A nice game, just a bit too bugged and relative perhaps. Expand
  19. Nov 4, 2012
    This is NOT a bad game. However, its not the epic we thought it would be. Some things like the naval battles are a nice touch, but you'll tire of them shortly. The story takes forever to get interesting, (But you'll see conners ending coming from the start, just a warning) The final scene with Desmond was alright but the 20 minutes leading up to it will put you to sleep. Overall thisThis is NOT a bad game. However, its not the epic we thought it would be. Some things like the naval battles are a nice touch, but you'll tire of them shortly. The story takes forever to get interesting, (But you'll see conners ending coming from the start, just a warning) The final scene with Desmond was alright but the 20 minutes leading up to it will put you to sleep. Overall this game's a let down. Ubisoft claimed it would be "80% a new IP" But it really is just more of the same old same old. The thing that stood out really well is the setting, by far. I've enjoyed my time with all the Assassins creeds, and I enjoyed this plenty. There's a lot to do. Just don't go into it thinking of something groundbreaking. It's AC, but in America. Expand
  20. Mar 22, 2014
    An utter disappointment in not just the Assassins Creed franchise, but pretty much to video games in general. The time setting and location, while it felt fresh, was laid back by an uninteresting protagonist and an underwhelming story.
  21. Aug 30, 2013
    When i played just 5 hours of this game i gave it a 9. I made a terrible mistake, this game is not that good. It has indeed a good story, and the Naval missions are the Jewel of the Crown. But the game is broken, the parkour elements are Broken, the Battles are way too simple, different weapons means nothing in this game. The best thing of the game, the naval missions, are so few in theWhen i played just 5 hours of this game i gave it a 9. I made a terrible mistake, this game is not that good. It has indeed a good story, and the Naval missions are the Jewel of the Crown. But the game is broken, the parkour elements are Broken, the Battles are way too simple, different weapons means nothing in this game. The best thing of the game, the naval missions, are so few in the story mode, that you can count in one hand's fingers. I am relieved that Blackflag's focus is on Piracy, i really hope they learn from their mistakes, Assassin's Creed is an awesome franchise. Expand
  22. Nov 2, 2012
    Are you kidding? More than 70 to THIS? It's AC, but NOT a good AC! It's just walking to cutscene to cutscene. EVEN MORE THAN MAX PAYNE 3 (that consists in a 60% of cutscenes). Okay, the graphics are good, voice acting for Spanish version was great, and I found funny to play in-game games (INCEPTION!), but it's not SO REVOLUTIONARY as AC or ACII (even ACBH for the On-Line).
  23. Nov 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a big fan off the AC series, but 3 seems lacking. I'm playing on the PS3. I was looking forward to climbing and jumping from tree to tree , but the mechanics don't work very well. Tons of glitches, so-so graphics, combat feels clunky, and *small spoiler* when you go to get your training there seems to be parts of the conversations missing. "Will you train me?"

"No."

"How about now?"

"No."

"Just beat up some guys. Now?"

"Yep. BTW, I instantly know who's son you are even though you didn't tell me cuz I have The Shining or something."

*YEARS LATER, NO CUT SCENES OR OBLIGATORY TUTORIALS*

"Ok, you're trained. Off you go!" There are good parts, though. The voice acting is great and um..... yeah. Point is, the game is still playable, though you're gonna have a few rage quits.
  24. Nov 3, 2012
    Assassins Creed 3 is a game where you stab a whole lot of people all in the name of an ancient rivalry between two groups seeking to enforce their beliefs on the world with you representing the "good" side of the equation.
    Where the previous game lacked any real progression in the story line, although padded with long, boring stretches of "look, American history", does move the main story along and itself contain some interesting moments. I however have no idea how new players will handle the already confusing plot.
    While "busy work" is often mundane, just exploring the world they created (and stabbing everything you see along the way) is still entertaining.
    While bugs are often accepted in open world games such as this, walking into a bar and seeing one character spinning on a chair, one standing in their chair and approaching another through the table they are sitting at are just examples of the many out of out of place things you will find. Including a number of game mission moments.
    As a fan of the series, the last game (Revelations) was an extreme disappointment and while not as good as the past games, Assassins Creed 3 is a welcomed return to form that falls just short of actually being a great game.
  25. Nov 5, 2012
    To quickly sum up:
    Graphics 9/10 Only glitches let it down.
    Sound 8.5/10 Longevity 10/10 Presentation (the history infused is particularly impressive) 10/10 Story 7/10 Mission variety 5/10 Game play 6/10 Killing enemies is boring half the time and quite fun the rest of the time. Free-running is far too easy and boring, as all you do is holding down R1 and aim where to jump.
    To quickly sum up:
    Graphics 9/10 Only glitches let it down.
    Story 7/10
    Mission variety 5/10
    Game play 6/10 Killing enemies is boring half the time and quite fun the rest of the time. Free-running is far too easy and boring, as all you do is holding down R1 and aim where to jump. Overall 7/10 If Ubisoft spent a month fine tuning the game play, to make the player control more of Conner and reduced glitches it would be a 9/10.

Good: The graphics and sound are very good, combined with what the people in assassin
  26. Nov 6, 2012
    I have played Assassin's Creed from day 1. What disappoints me about this installment is that i feel let down. From AC1 to AC2 they made drastic improvements to the game and it was a great step forward. With AC3 i feel as if they took a step back. They almost tried to do too much with the game. Instead of focusing on doing things well, they did a lot of things okay. I do not like theI have played Assassin's Creed from day 1. What disappoints me about this installment is that i feel let down. From AC1 to AC2 they made drastic improvements to the game and it was a great step forward. With AC3 i feel as if they took a step back. They almost tried to do too much with the game. Instead of focusing on doing things well, they did a lot of things okay. I do not like the characters one bit in the game and Connor is by far the least interesting of all the Assassins and actually quite annoying. The fight systems took a step back and it seems like it takes for ever to kill an enemy. Not to mention it seems like i continually get caught on all the little things in the environment. I constantly find myself running up a tree or a wall when really i wanted nothing to do with them. This is not due to my lack of knowing how to play the game but more because Connor can climb almost anything that just by running by something he seems to be attracted to it and just run up it. I am on DNA sequence 10 out of 12 and overall the game is a decent game. The story is pretty good but i wish i was more involved with the revolution as they lead you on to believe you are, not just some errand boy. It is a above average game i was just expecting more out of it. Especially being that i tried to read nothing about it so not to over anticipate it and give it no chance to live up to my standard. But even with ignoring most news about the game i just feel like there is so much they wanted to do with the game and just fell short a little. Expand
  27. Nov 6, 2012
    The Assassin's Creed game I was looking forward to. Incredibly fluid combat and movement, beautiful graphics, and finally an arching (rather than holding pattern) story. The storytelling in this game is also fantastic, as Ubisoft really made an effort to 'show' rather than 'tell' events, and avoid cut scenes as much as possible. As someone who didn't particularly like Brotherhood orThe Assassin's Creed game I was looking forward to. Incredibly fluid combat and movement, beautiful graphics, and finally an arching (rather than holding pattern) story. The storytelling in this game is also fantastic, as Ubisoft really made an effort to 'show' rather than 'tell' events, and avoid cut scenes as much as possible. As someone who didn't particularly like Brotherhood or Revelations, seeing AC3 take the best elements of those games, and refining and improving them was great. Very little (aside from the board game mini-games) is wasted in this game, and even the parts of the game that you do for the sake of doing them, such as collectibles and naval battles, are still fun. While the ending is very abrupt, AC3 is a solid candidate for Game of the Year in my book. Expand
  28. Nov 7, 2012
    It's an OK game but not great. The graphics look like dreamcast, Need to lower 3-D strength to 1 and increase brightness to 7 which gives more natural look. Desmond, Shaun, Rebecca looked kinda goofy. I like the way they were in AC2 & BH. Start is slow and boring. I find collecting feathers, trinkets, almanacs to be a bit annoying. Almanacs are the worst. Almost every viewpoint trees areIt's an OK game but not great. The graphics look like dreamcast, Need to lower 3-D strength to 1 and increase brightness to 7 which gives more natural look. Desmond, Shaun, Rebecca looked kinda goofy. I like the way they were in AC2 & BH. Start is slow and boring. I find collecting feathers, trinkets, almanacs to be a bit annoying. Almanacs are the worst. Almost every viewpoint trees are the same. Frontier/homestead missions were kinda lame. Hunting and discovering animals seems kinda pointless. I don't like being forced to skinned every animal when I ditch them. Attacking & looting convoys aren't worth much the rewards. You're better off just looting chest boxes instead. Naval missions were a bit boring. Controls were kinda dumbed down. What happened to the throwing knives? You can't grab ahold enemies, you have to deflect attack then grab them but it throws them automatically. You can't chuck weapons at enemies like in AC-BH & Revelations, it would be cool to spear a redcoat with a bayonet from range or throw an axe. Combat seems less evolved than previous AC series. No dodge? Seriously?? You cannot do double assassinations easily while standing, I performed double air assassinations more than standing. The story is not bad though except the beginning. Some parts were rushed and forced. I find one mission 'Boston Tea Party' to be frustrating when you have throw guards into water which puts you in awkward positons. Limiting number of kills / don't shove anyone while chasing as an optional objective is ridiculous. Connor seems dull but finally flourished after chasing and killing Hickley. Ending is not that great, you have to sit and wait for a 20 minute cast to pass to finally get game completion achievement. I'm pretty disappointed, it doesn't feel like an AC game, the elements were off and different. Felt like playing Red Dead Redemption with AC elements. I find it hard for me to care to replay through the 5 hour boring slow start again. Expand
  29. Nov 12, 2012
    Hmmmm.... Where to begin! As a fan of the Assassins Creed series I was expecting more from AC3. The first game was hard to get through because it was so repetitive but from then on the series has improved with each game. Ezio is one of my favourite game characters of all time, he's cool and has a charm, he's likeable, unlike Connor. Which brings me onto the 1st problem with the game; theHmmmm.... Where to begin! As a fan of the Assassins Creed series I was expecting more from AC3. The first game was hard to get through because it was so repetitive but from then on the series has improved with each game. Ezio is one of my favourite game characters of all time, he's cool and has a charm, he's likeable, unlike Connor. Which brings me onto the 1st problem with the game; the main man, the guy you have to put up with the whole game, he's boring, I don't like him. If I were to compare the characters, Ezio would be a Bugatti Veyron; fast and exciting, whereas Connor would be a cardboard box; yes he's useful but he's so bland and monotone! Before I go any further I will say that I'm only about 6-7 hours into the game so this is just my thoughts so far but seriously, there is enough to not like ALREADY!

One thing I've heard a lot about is the glitches.... and there are a lot. When you look at the shear size of something like Skyrim you can forgive the glitches but I just can't see past them in AC3 when the other games have been relatively "glitch-free" in my experience. On one occasion I was looking for a bear to kill and after finding one and getting into a bit of man vs. bear, it got stuck in a tree! It was just there, walking around on the spot in a tree! Another noticeable glitch was on a recent mission where I walked up behind 2 guards to perform a double kill which not only failed, resulting in me only killing one guard, the other guard just walked away! He didn't even blink! One other glitch saw me jump out of a tree to assassinate a rabbit/hare, which promptly ran away and left me free falling through the ground into emptiness! I expect more considering the standards set with the previous games. Other things that I think have been ruined slightly is the free running. Now you can just run by holding the right trigger and he will stop if he comes to a jump that he can't make or a drop that is too high. Personally, that takes away some of the skill. Previously I had to control Ezio carefully otherwise I could jump to my death, which to be honest adds some realism to the game. This is now not possible because Connor is a **** Also when climbing buildings previously you could use the A button to jump to a higher ledge that you couldn't normally reach, which involved a little bit of timing but now this is automatic, again something I'm disappointed about. My major gripe is the health regeneration which I think makes the game just too easy. It is almost impossible to die in a fight because if you are low on health you can sit back and hold B, which parries almost every attack automatically without any timing needed, wait until your health regenerates (which is pretty quick) and carry on fighting. It now takes away the need to run away from anyone to buy some medicine or visit a doctor, you can just walk around kicking ass and regenerating health without a care in the world. It's not all bad, there are some good things. The game is visually stunning for one. Climbing to the top of a building and admiring the view is something you may find yourself doing from time to time. The weather is brilliant too, especially when a thunderstorm hits. I also like the addition of the Rope Dart which is kind of like a lasso which you can use to pull enemies closer, drag them off of their horse or hang them from a chimney! There's also some open ocean missions where you take to the sea at the helm of a ship, firing cannons and engaging in naval warfare which I have found exciting and quite enjoyable, not to mention very impressive to the look at. You do get to control Desmond a little bit more but only time will tell if you get to control him as much as I would like. When AC3 was first announced I wanted it to be focused on Desmond. Running around New York, scaling buildings and the like would be brilliant.

Lastly, the game is very slow to get going. It's only just got going for me so hopefully my rating will improve, but at the moment it's scraping a 7 out of 10.
  30. Nov 13, 2012
    Assassins creed 3 is a bit hit and miss in many of the areas which make up this game. Ubisoft has done a large amount of changes to the game in order to improve upon it, with multiple characters to play as throughout the story, an increased world size and possibly my favourite addition, Pirate ship battles.

However, for all of these improvements, many of the faults of the past games

However, for all of these improvements, many of the faults of the past games return, such as initially exciting, but ultimately tedious and easy combat, repetitive mission structure and a bit of a flawed story at times. I would have given this an 8, possibly a 9, but the plot near the end was dissapointing. so much so that it made me ponder why i had played through the series.

However, this game is still fun to play through, and has a relatively decent length of 14 hours for my playthrough. My review is based purely on the single player elements as I have not been able to play the multiplayer element for a variety of reasons.

1. Dec 5, 2012
    At least the petty indignities of the multiplayer are optional and situated around gameplay that's solid and unique, if frustratingly stagnant. In the single-player campaign, however, it's impossible to escape the ham-fisted manipulations of the Assassin's Creed III development team.
    Assassin's Creed III is a pretty damn fine game. It loses none of what makes the series fun with the translation to another time and continent, and creates a whole new set of experiences which define the franchise. The biggest issue, if there is one, are the small technical issues, but these niggling technical issues only seem worse because everything else is such a great experience.
  3. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Dec 1, 2012
    Like any game of such scope, not every part of it is perfect. Yet, taken as a whole, there is very little that can compete with its wonderful, lavish, historical playground. [Issue#91, p.22]