6.7

1. Oct 31, 2012
    First of all, let me be clear, I've been an Assassin's Creed fan from day one. I followed the development of every single game since it's conception. I have all the games, all the books, most of the merchandise. I even did some internshipping at Ubisoft to work on Brotherhood. I would go as far to say I'm a diehard fan. This is why, it pains me to say this. Appart from Revelations and the games on other handhelds, this is the weakest Assassin's creed and a blemish on the overall series. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible and has fun parts, but it's an average game that is part of an overall franchise that stays away from the average. Let me break it down, so you see where I'm coming from and to make it clear I'm not "trolling".

The Cons:

The glitches. Oh, the glitches. This game is FULL of them. There have been a few that have made me chuckle, like a horse getting stuck on top of a house or a man stretching out like crazy after I hit him. The ones that really upset me though, where the game breaking ones. Such as guns missing from parts where you need to shoot, being unable to fire, escort missions where the NPC will get caught in a wall, the protagonist just falling though the floor into oblivion, the NPC's shooting through buildings. There's been several times I needed to restart due to a glitch. I'd let some of them slide, but this is an AAA title and there should never be glitches that break a game. This is 2012 for Christ sake. The AI is terrible too. You could be walking down a street, with no notoriety and suddenly five guards will come out of nowhere and kill you. Or you could be super wanted and walk by- even punch a guard- without getting them to attack you. The horse back riding is so bad... oh man. Horses- when shot- will fall over. They'll also fall over randomly when you hit a glich and die. The combat, now different than the other AC's, is like trying to drive a minivan with a popped tire. You'll lose half your health just taking out a group of guys. Guarding and countering doesn't work anymore. And good luck dodging. For some reason Muskets in 1777 are as accurate as sniper rifles now. huh. It starts out slow- I wont say spoilers, but it's about 4 to 5 hours in before you actually get to the meat of the game.

There all a lot of cut-scenes. It sorta brings you out of the game and it feels, sometimes, like a movie, but overall it's not that big of an issue. Pros:

It's BEAUTIFUL. More beautiful than AC2 or Skyrim or fallout. This game will make love to your eyes.
    The soundtrack is amazing too. The ship battles. Yeah, it's a learning curve, but it's not terrible. It becomes really fun later-on

Climbing on trees and free-running are smooth like butter. It feels fresh and natural. Connor is a very easily controlled character and you'll just have fun running around in the forest, The Protagonist. Shockingly, Connor is a really interesting character. Hunting is fun. There's no better feeling than stealth killing a bear from a tree. I can honestly say, as a "hardcore" assassin's creed fan, I was disappointed. I had very high hopes for this game, and I even expected something better than AC2. I'd recommend you play it, but don't go in with the high expectations of the people and reviews that are giving it 10/10 or perfects. I'd go in expecting an average game and you wont be too let down.
  2. Oct 30, 2012
    I am gonna get right to the point here. This game is NOT good. It has some redeeming qualities like the graphics and cinematics. But there seems to be a continuing theme for so many AAA titles. They just want so badly to be liked. They put cinematics and set pieces above everything else. This game is no different. It is basically cutscene, 2 minutes of gameplay, cutscene, 4 minutes of gameplay, cutscene, 3 minutes of gameplay. AND then you consider that the gameplay is usually walking around or riding on a horse. This is pretty bad. The game also starts off incredibly slow. Conner, the main character, is not nearly as likeable as Ezio or Altair, and his motives seem at times either predictable or just iffy. When the game picks up though, you notice just how simplistic the combat is. It is clear that they wanted to ripoff the Arkham games, especially if you pay attention to the music that plays during combat. It is nearly the same exact music found in Arkham City. BUT the combat found in AC3 is no where near as fluid or polished or fun as the Arkham games. Not even close. It fails hard. Glitches also plague the combat, as well as the overall main game. Horses glitching out, muskets flying around, enemies teleporting, some clipping issues, and dialogue glitches are forgivable I guess, but freezing camera glitches and getting stuck in terrain forcing you to restart is just pushing it. Add to this, braindead AI that is some of the worst I have ever seen in a video game, and you have a very pretty game that is anything but good. PLEASE don't be fooled by the marketing. This is a failure from Ubisoft. Not recommended. 3/10 Expand
  3. Oct 30, 2012
    AC3 is a all new AC Experience, it has a Read Dead Redemption feeling and the best things that you love on AC series. You watch the trailers, demos and theres no surprise, it is amazing like you saw by Ubisoft. Maybe GOTY 2012.
  4. Oct 30, 2012
    While the combat system was clunky at first until I adjusted to it, I find this a much better game than the last two outings we've all experienced. The sence of adventure from the time period itself is exquisite and the engine is phenomenal. You really can't go wrong--if you enjoyed the other games in the series, despite their flaws, then this one should blow you away! Side note, the lockpick system, while rarely used, is an epic failure. I deduct .5 for that alone, bringing this to an 8.5 rounded up to a 9! Expand
  5. Oct 30, 2012
    Nothing revolutionary here. It´s an OK AC game. PROS: -AnvilNext Engine is superb, and, surprisingly, not very glitchy, given the GIGANTIC environments. -TONS of missions. -Commanding your frigate is GREAT ! CONS: -Ultra dumbed-down controls: everything seems automatic. You just press RT and move forward. Parkour inside the houses ? No, no: it´s just a cinematic. -Tree Parkour is great, but since there are no clear visual clues to where you can hop on the trees, you will be, most of the time, riding a horse or walking, A LOT.
    -The American Independence war story and sites are not as appealing as previous AC´s plots. Besides, an african-american as a master assassin and a native-american so fondly helping the founding fathers is too far-fetched.
    -Very cliché father-son sub-plots, inside and outside the animus. You´ve seen this before ...
    -A 5-year-old child can combat in this game.
  6. Oct 30, 2012
    A series ends brethren! That's it, no more Assassin's Creed in future. I cannot go into details without spoiling, so I just say they pulled off Mass Effect 3 with this game. What a shame to see a legacy end like this. At least the story of Connor was good, whilst the story of Desmond was not. Funny how Lucy was never mentioned, looks like had no clue how to make a satisfying ending.
  7. Oct 31, 2012
    Alright I have to be harsh here, as I wanted to enjoy this game but so far it has been boring me. Will it get better after 15 hours? Maybe, but so far it has been boring. Controlling your character feels like controlling a drunk bicycle, many times when I wanted to approach a door to open it I would climb it instead. The shadows looks really bad, what is this dotted mess supposed to be? Yes it does look better then the previous games but it Expand
  8. Nov 3, 2012
    I've been a huge fan of the game and series... until now. The new combat mechnics just dont play or feel right. characters wanting to run up a ladder or wall when your trying to get to a hidespot. where was the stealth game-play? So many glitches within the game. with the size of the team they had you would think that they would be able to get a good sized QA team point them out the the coders and artists. the IGC's have really bad animations and lip sinking Expand
  9. Nov 3, 2012
    Let's get this out of the way first thing. How does this game stack up to it's predecessors? It's worse than every other Assassin's Creed except Revelations. Here's the details. The game starts off with a 5-7 hour tutorial. It will range from mildly interesting to mind-numbingly boring. When the game proper finally starts you get turned loose in the world. The world of Assassin's Creed 3 is probably the least detailed of all AC worlds. The cities have very few buildings worth climbing, and tend to look pretty much the same (i.e. the cities have no separate identity). The frontier suffers from Skyrim Syndrome. It's big, but it has nothing in it. Hunting is a waste of time and adds nothing to the game. The end of the game is a huge letdown. Climbing has been streamlined to the point where just pushing up will get you to the top of anything. There are no really cool secret locations to explore. Objective markers will hold your hand in the most annoying way. It's not all bad though, Ship combat is fantastic, and if this game had been Pirates Creed, we'd have an obvious GOTY. Your interactions with your manor are much improved and more personal. The Desmond sequences are very well done and probably the highlights of the game. The villain is actually a pretty interesting character. Combat has been given some tiny improvements which make the combat feel a little better, but it remains extremely easy. The story is typical AC stuff. Really AC3 comes of as a forgettable game. It's not bad, or great. It's a good game which no one is going to look back on and think "That game was awesome." It's one truly fantastic part is the ship battles.Some people describe it as a flawed gem. It's no gem. It's a copper penny. And you won't even remember it in a year. This all being said, it's worth playing to see the story's end. I wouldn't buy it full price though. Rating 7.3/10 Expand
  10. Nov 17, 2012
    I first of all have to say that I had really high hopes for this game. The first AC did not really strike my interest but it did intrigue me enough to give ACII a try and I was blown away. Then ACII:B came out and I was hooked. The combat was fun, the stories were awesome and Ezio was a fantastic protagonist. Then when Revelations stumbled a bit I thought it was just a bump in the road. Boy was I wrong. ACIII comes out of the gate limping. The graphics might be beautiful but they are only skin deep as pop ins and texture tearing is rampant.

Then there are the glitches...Oh the numerous, numerous glitches. From getting stuck in a pile of hay to watching a guard fly into the stratosphere the glitches are everywhere and range from funny, a woman spawning into the back of a cart and being dragged along, to game breaking, finding Connor frozen in place while his target gleefully runs away. The glitches could be forgiven if it wasn't for the fact that these two examples appeared AFTER the day one patch. That's right, after Ubisoft claimed they were fixing the numerous issues I got the pleasure of having the game break several times.

The there is the story and characters. The AC franchise has been a series that has done a tremendous job of transporting gamers to unique locations, and while this one is no exception, the Colonies in 1775 are beautiful and full of life, the story and characters come off lacking. Connor is in no way shape or form a replacement for the charismatic and dangerous Ezio. Where as Ezio was charming and roguish and likable, Connor is quiet, easily angered and all around just bland. He continually asks characters, "what would you have me do," a number of times while having paper thin motivations. I find it troubling when the side characters in a game highlight just how bland and boring our main character is. I found myself wanting to play as Samuel Adams, at least he has a range in his vocalizations and has clear motivations.

This seems to be ACIII's problem, it looks the part and is trying to convince you that it is the next step in the franchise but its motivations are all over the place. The combat is fun, if a bit too familiar (Arkham City) and the ship battles are fantastic. But for every step forward the game takes two, even three steps back. Why is it that I am doing eavesdropping missions when they were one of the worst gameplay aspects of the FIRST AC?! Also why is it that AC:B and Revelations gave me more options to complete missions where as ACIII punishes you for not completing a mission precisely how the developers planned it? For freedom it seems a bit constrained.

Which brings me to the 100% sync. Introduced in Brotherhood, this was a clever way to challenge players. In Brotherhood and Revelations it was just that, a challenge. In ACIII 100% sync becomes a tedious almost torturous chore and goes to highlight the broken gameplay mechanics and a number of irritating glitches. If I am supposed to kill my target without anyone noticing don't make it so my hidden blades alert every damn guard in Boston! It goes to frustrating even further when you realize that you cannot complete epilogue missions without getting 100% sync, which means that as a fan of the franchise, if you want to see the real 100% ending of the game you have to do the OPTIONAL side objectives. Ubisoft, don't make something optional and then purposely withhold content from the ending of the game. The 100% sync options come off as cheap and lazy, as though the developers added them in at random to flesh out bare boned missions. I really wanted to love this game, so much so that I thought I could hail it as a huge leap for the franchise, much as ACII was from AC. But that was not to be. Instead I came away from ACIII feeling as though three years of development and anticipation evaporated into a cloud of mediocrity. ACIII is in no way a revolution, it is more a slight step forward with a bum leg and an eye patch. Here is hoping we don't have to see two more games of Connor before we truly get the next huge step for the franchise.
  11. Oct 30, 2012
    Another year and another Assassins's Creed game which basically plays itself. Yes, making a game to hard and challenging can frustrate people, yet making it too easy will bore them. Good game design means finding a balance between those 2 extremes. And it's might be just me, yet I take a little frustration over boredom any day in a game. Because managing something that was difficult leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment, finishing something that was boringly easy one the other hand just leaves you bored. And a game isn't supposed to bore you, causing boredom is pretty much the opposite of what a game should do.

Or maybe you are one of those people who enjoy to cheat in multiplayer games, or usually run through single player titles in god-mode, because in that case this might be a game for you. For those who require a little challenge in order not to grow bored with a game, better look elsewhere.
  12. Nov 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've played all 3 Assassin's Creed, and this is not an Assassins Creed. This is a game with the AC logo and name and a wonky version of its mechanics, but nowhere the depth of the previous ones. AC franchise is built on the ability of the player to visit historical cities and cites through the memory of Desmond's ancestor - but there is not historical sites in revolutionary America. You are no longer climbing century old buildings of masterful architecture, but merely wooden shed of various sizes, and perhaps the top of the sorry box of matches that the colonist call a House of God. There are people who pointed out the clunky combat system and mechanics... I guess they had to change it for the tree climbing in this game, but it seems like they've broken more than the features they've added. And it seems the game was completely lacking in play test due to the countless bugs I've encountered such as unkillable guards, horrid and cryptic lock picking, complete gray screen, and inability to correctly load the game from save files. The story is an utter mess and any small bit of analysis into the main character of Connor would cause the story to fall apart during the middle of the game. While his motivation for the first half of the game is understandable (the death of his mother, the attack on his tribe), the latter part - after which his reason and preconceptions were revealed to be false (His supposed attacker were innocent for the death of his mother and attack on his tribe), the entire latter half of the game became aimless and pointless to the player. Especially so when 1) We as a player knows exactly what happens to Native Indians after the revolutionary war, and 2) His templar enemies specifically stated they were attempting to prevent the very result that we as players know would happen from history. Connor's main reason for his joining of the Assassins was to blame Charles Lee for the attack on his village that resulted in his mother's death, but it was revealed later that Charles Lee was not responsible, and the attack was in fact ordered by Washington. But instead of the player change allegiance, he doggedly pursued Charles Lee to the very end, despite him being completely innocent to the very reason that the main character joined the Assassin's order. The game lacks the depth and intrigue that was the highlight of the AC series. Where the previous games had puzzles with conspiracy undertones, AC3 seems to have fired the writing department and replaced it with mini-game department. There were no overhanging questions about subjective or objective morality, nothing to make the player think about and question the correct view of the world - it was just Connor getting used by Templars, Assassins, and those who came before as pawns. Connor as a main character no longer contains a brain like Altair or Ezio, but became a human shaped murder tool controlled by the player, manipulated by those who held more cards. One also cannot ignore the blatant attempt to portray the French in the happy sunny light - While the British were portrayed as tyrants, thugs, and fascist police organization, the Patriots led by Washington was portrayed as inept, brutish, uncultured. I'm sure the fact Ubisoft was a French company had nothing to do with this though. The game's only salvation was 1) Connor's Father Haythem - a more fitting and respectable character as an Assassin, ironically 2) the Naval Battle missions. If one word could sum up Assassins Creed 3, it world be the word: TOOL. Expand
  13. Nov 2, 2012
    I've got 13 hours of playing the game and my thoughts are a complete mixed bag. I WANT to love this game because I enjoyed prior AC titles AND I'm a huge U.S. history geek. Thankfully, I can say it's not the era of the game that disappoints me as they've done a good job of making it feel as though you're in the colonies and 18th century cities. My disappointment stems, almost entirely, from gameplay changes. |||| First, combat feels like it's taken two steps backwards. Trying to target is an exercise in frustration. The same can be said for melee combat itself where often I find I end up button mashing - something I NEVER did in previous AC games - because the timing of counters, counter grabs, and attacks are WAY off. Ranged combat is just painful in part because of the weapons of the era (yay muzzle loaded rifle reload times!) and because the ranged weapon options are SEVERELY lacking in this iteration. |||| Second, the number and rapidity of cutscenes is ridiculous. Even my wife, who is decidedly a non-gamer, has noticed this fact, commenting on more than one occasion that she thought I was watching a movie, not playing a game. And this is someone who has seen me play damn near every Final Fantasy game for the last 15 years. There are entirely too many portions of the game, thus far, where you run from one "mission" (which was a cutscene) to another mission only to find out that, too, is a cutscene. |||| Third: New Engine equals new fun things (such as ships) but LOTS of bugs. I have died about a dozen times in Frontier because Connor has fallen through a texture - usually by a rock or tree - and then free falls for several minutes before the game considers it a "desync". Climbing objects is also riddled with bugs, especially in urban environments where it's possible for the game to glitch and not recognize a ledge as climbable in one instance but then work fine a few minutes later. |||| Fourth, and finally, the writing is terribly predictable and trite. For a game that forces you into so many cutscenes, it's sad that most of them are yawn worthy and uninspiring. ||| If I could give it a 6.5, I would, but rounding up to 7 would be too high, IMO. If you're a diehard AC fan, you'll be disappointed in the "downgrades" to the combat and Animus systems. If you're a diehard Revolutionary War geek, you'll be disappointed because (despite the ads) that only makes up a small part of the game. If you're a gamer who appreciates a good story, you'll be disappointed by the story and presentation of AC3. It's probably worth a rental, but maybe not a purchase - and certainly NOT worth a purchase PLUS the "season's pass". Expand
  14. Oct 30, 2012
    Game of the Year contender! Frontier hunting + Ship battles = Awesome! The game also has a very good replay value. Graphics are nice. I don't see any competition here. Dishonored = too short. Halo 4 = more of the same. Black Ops 2 = more of the same.
  15. Nov 13, 2012
    I created an account just to echo what people have been saying here. Loved AC2 and this looked so promising... finished the game in just a few days and I just feel let down. Exactly what people are talking about. Gameplay interrupted by cinematics. Glitches galore (horse riding is awful). Forget about the Frontier; it's too annoying to ride through the woods and tree-hop. The new gameplay interface (e.g. for switching weapons, etc.) is for the worse. Bad voice acting. Massive plot holes and poor storyline continuity. Some missions are a total waste of time (i.e. the entire first third of the game before you get your Assassin's hood; all the Desmond missions; and especially the chase missions). You can't even free roam much once done with the game (i.e. run around and cause murderous chaos), because after gaining sufficient Notoriety, the game sends unbeatable Jagers against you that spawn out of nowhere and you are inevitably killed. Nothing like AC2; that game is still a masterpiece, especially when compared to this thing. It's like they had no quality control before putting AC3 out! Expand
  16. Nov 14, 2012
    Boring!!!! No fun factor whatsoever. I keep waiting for this game to get better but it just isn't happening. I don't usually review games before I finish them but people need to be warned that this game does not live up to the hype. I will finish the game because I want to know what happens in the story and I do love the series but it will be a struggle. The first game is still the best and in my oppinion they continue to go down hill from there. If this had been the first game in the series I would never have bought a second one. Expand
  17. Nov 1, 2012
    Disclaimer: I have not finished the game, these are my impressions after playing around with for a couple of hours and going through possibly the first 30-60 mins of actual content. I am hoping that the rest of the game helps me reassess and give it a higher mark.

This game is proving to be a major disappointment at the moment. The franchise was in a dire need of a shakeup because the
    formula after revelations had certainly become stale. However, this game while trying to break the mould really suffers from poor implementation and in my humble opinion its been released at least 2 months too soon. It's glitchy, i had my graphics go completely blurry the first time i was asked to take a pistol shot and had to quit the game for it to be fixed. Camera angles during sword play are wonky, especially the first sword fight you get in which i guess is kind of a tutorial, you end up losing sight of your opponent when you knock him down. I got desynchronized in the fight coz my opponent somehow managed to fall into the ocean when we were fighting inside the ship!!! (graphics are crazy).

The control system feels clunky and the smooth swordplay of the previous iterations has completely disappeared. You cannot hack and slash, and each button press leads to an attacking sword thrust. This can only be done when facing an armed opponent, because it is an integral fighting mechanic, you cannot slash thin air and you because fighting is dependent on there being a foe present ur never going to miss. The dodge and counter is an attempt to mimic Rocksteady's Batman franchise, with red indicators appearing over the attackers but neither is the mechanic explained and even when you get it right the fight seems clunky and not at all satisfying. (Granted i am still getting used to it, but it just feels really clunky).

A lot of control has been taken away from the player, free running has been dumbed down and this results in it just feeling clunky. Plus since you hardly have control anymore its really random what areas you can climb and what areas you can't. And sometimes there is no good reason why you cannot climb some areas. Attacking civilians has been prohibited and you can no longer just start fist fights with them too. (I haven't been able to at least). Silly and frustrating Gimmicks Floating almanac pages, wtf? its a silly gimmick but the worst one is the new lock picking mechanism. OMG, if you thought lock picking in Skyrim was frustrating then welcome to the crude rip off that is Assassins Creed 3. You need to rotate both analog sticks in a manner that your fingers and hands are in the most unnatural position ever and then mash right trigger. If you are unlucky and just move your fingers a fraction you need to start again and there is a time limit to boot. Its frustrating and uncomfortable, I wouldn't be surprised if people sue Ubisoft for causing them Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

The story (disclaimer still stands) so far is just meandering along, its like setting the base for what is to come and in all honesty i am like 90% sure where its going and if it as predictable then not only is it dumb but completely unnecessary. IGN points out that the first couple of hours of this game are just boring and while playing it i tend to agree. The paying customer would have been better served if these sections were shown to the player as a mini series promoting the game launch aka Forward unto Dawn. Imagine having to play Lasky's childhood before controlling Master Chief or imagine having to go through boring tasks as Ezio's dad instead of the fun stuff Ezio the teenage boy did. The story just doesn't have the pace, wit and character that Ezio's had in its early moments at least. All in all am persevering with this game at this moment because of the money i have dropped on it and the hope that it gets better. If this had been the first game of the series, I would have given up on it.
  18. Oct 31, 2012
    Boring game... 0 Gameplay... Every little part is automatic. I hope, for the next episode, to have an automatic control, so i can only watch the game and don't play it.
  19. Nov 12, 2012
    Total disappointmet. To break it down in negative terms:

- The cities are lifeless. You can keep on running from A -> B without any interaction as there were in AC:Brotherhood or Red Dead Redemption with people crying for help, or chasing a criminal wheras you could intervene if you'd choose so
    - The story is so confusing. It keeps time-jumping from here to there and new characters are
    introduced ALL THE TIME without any depth.
    - Conner is as interesting as an horses arse. He also lacks humangous depth, as Ezio had.
    - Glitches, glitches and more glitches.
    - Irritation UI where you have to enter the meny every time you wan't to call on the horse or an other action that isn't in the action-wheel. FRUSTRATING AS HELL.
    - Sucky implemention of fighting. Worse than any other AC game.
    - ... I could go on for hours.

+ None. All the negative ones diminish the ones I - at first - thought where positive.
  20. Oct 30, 2012
    Its the same **** all over again! The gameplay and fighting is still way too easy and gives no challenge at all. Each year a "new" Assassin's Creed with new City but still the same boring Gameplay. If you played AC2, you should leave the franchise and never play any AC Game again.
  21. Nov 9, 2012
    Assassin's Creed 3 is exactly what people should have expected. This game should not have been hyped nearly as much as it was. It is just as good if not slightly better than revelations. Don't expect something as innovative, charming, or impressive as Assassin's Creed 2. If you enjoyed Revelations or have followed the entire series and don't mind more of the same with shinier graphics; BUY THIS GAME IMMEDIATELY! But if you are anything like me and are sick of these uninspired sequels to the once great series known as Assassin's Creed; then leave it alone. Don't even wait for the price to go down, just see it as what it is: a cash-in. Expand
  22. Oct 31, 2012
    FIRST POINT - THE GAME IS VERY VERY VERY GOOD
    SECOND POINT - THE GAME ISN'T THE ALL SINGING, ALL DANCING MASTERPIECE IT SHOULD BE.
    Assassins creed 3 is definitely, the best game in the series. The maps are huge, the graphics are incredible, the story is epic, the homestead is immersing, the characters are intriguing, naval battles are a blast and everything has been improved. However
    there are issues. Several bugs are noticeable, and yes frustrating, however UBISOFT have been quick to respond and most have already been fixed. Really it's a minor issue. The game itself is a joy to play. The story is fleshed out and interesting enough to keep you wanting more and the conclusion is satisfactory. Desmond's story is finally given some time in the spotlight, and this time is enjoyable, however could be expanded upon. Some aspects of the game do feel underdeveloped like horse riding and assassin recruitment, but on the whole most aspects have been well developed. There is so much to do in assassins creed 3 that its impossible to mention it all off the top of my head, and this is one of the reasons YOU HAVE TO PLAY IT. PEOPLE WHO ARE RATING THE GAME BELOW 8 ARE OUT OF THERE MINDS. The game is a real treat. If there hadn't been so much hype about it people would be giving it a lot more praise. Expand
  23. Nov 6, 2012
    I have played Assassin's Creed from day 1. What disappoints me about this installment is that i feel let down. From AC1 to AC2 they made drastic improvements to the game and it was a great step forward. With AC3 i feel as if they took a step back. They almost tried to do too much with the game. Instead of focusing on doing things well, they did a lot of things okay. I do not like the characters one bit in the game and Connor is by far the least interesting of all the Assassins and actually quite annoying. The fight systems took a step back and it seems like it takes for ever to kill an enemy. Not to mention it seems like i continually get caught on all the little things in the environment. I constantly find myself running up a tree or a wall when really i wanted nothing to do with them. This is not due to my lack of knowing how to play the game but more because Connor can climb almost anything that just by running by something he seems to be attracted to it and just run up it. I am on DNA sequence 10 out of 12 and overall the game is a decent game. The story is pretty good but i wish i was more involved with the revolution as they lead you on to believe you are, not just some errand boy. It is a above average game i was just expecting more out of it. Especially being that i tried to read nothing about it so not to over anticipate it and give it no chance to live up to my standard. But even with ignoring most news about the game i just feel like there is so much they wanted to do with the game and just fell short a little. Expand
  24. Nov 2, 2012
    Normally love the Creed... but really didn't like this game at all. It has so many bugs, online servers offline a lot. forgettable boring characters and the story means nothing to me as an international player. The game keeps talking about people like i should know who they are...

game tries and fails to rip off Red Dead Redemption. Americans might get something out of this...
  25. Oct 30, 2012
    Nothing can top this game, amazing cinematically, compelling story line, immersive combat are only few of the many features Assassin's Creed III brings to the table. Game of the year for sure!
  26. Nov 3, 2012
    The combat mechanics definitely took a step (or even 2) backwards. The beginning of the game is extremely boring(specially on the ship. Go talk to someone, then back to your room to end the day. Next day, do it all over again). All the cut scenes really don't help. On the 360 version while walking in the city objects appear out of nowhere (probably because of a low field of view). The older games did not have this problem(maybe because there were a lot more buildings and they blocked other streets so you wouldn't be able to see this problem? But I doubt that. AC/AC2/AC:B/AC:R just didn't have this problem) How you uncover your map is also a pain in the ass. I DON'T want to go EVERYWHERE, I want to climb a tall building and uncover a part just like in the older AC. The story is perfect, but it is annoying to enjoy the story when everythin else is worse compared to the older AC games Expand
  27. Nov 3, 2012
    I think this game seriously suffered from the hype. Amazing new graphics! Biggest map ever! Hunting! Look at all the cool things we can do! The developers lost their way. The little details are great, but the overall pieces just aren't. Best examples: combat is difficult, harder than any AC game before it. It takes forever to get anywhere, because the frontier is huge and the cities are full of guards who seem to be much smarter than they were in previous games. And while I love US history and the story so far, it doesn't make up for the fact that this is a frustrating game to play, just because of how the game is set up to work. I'm sad really. Everyone was expecting a masterpiece, and what we got was a decent game at best. There are some fun parts. But ultimately, if I was new to the series, I wouldn't be coming back. Expand
  28. Nov 11, 2012
    As I was playing Assassins Creed 3 I realised that all of the oranges I had in my fruit bowl had started to go green and furry looking. Like Tennis balls. Tennis balls that emit a strange smell. As a man of science I can only presume that this occurred by way of radiation emitted by Assassins Creed 3. In summation, do not under any circumstances allow Assassins Creed 3 near your bowl of oranges. Expand
  29. Nov 4, 2012
    How did this game get such good reviews? This is probably the dullest and most boring game I've ever played. The first video game where I fell asleep while playing it. The gameplay is chunky and bugs/glitches are splattered all over, the controls are awful, the combat is automatic, everything is automatic. "Don't want to die? Just press a button and you won't." I'm sorry but how do people think this crap is fun? If video games keep going in this direction, we're looking at a very depressing future. On top of that, the "introduction" to the game is very long and pointless. The main protagonist is annoying and stupid. If you love being told you're stupid and to settle for less buy it but if you want a great video game that rewards your efforts and progresses, pass it. One giant casual snoozefest. Expand
  30. Nov 11, 2012
    I got bored with this piece of crap,after an half of a hour; don't waste your money and buy Assassin's Creed 2 a much better game. They should of waited to release this crappy insult to the AC series...such a shame this came out...
  31. Nov 12, 2012
    I can't believe they were able to sell this game in the state it's in. Glitchy and just a big mess, I wouldn't even want my worst enemy to wast their time playing this. The controls are horrid, yet critics call it "revolutionary" because of the graphics. This is just another shining example of looks over gameplay, and unfortunately this is the norm now with videogames.
  32. Nov 3, 2012
    As a fan of the series since the first, I was somewhat disappointed. Not by the story/graphics, but the constant glitches. As someone else mentioned, it's not a big deal when the glitches aren't game breaking, like when I walked in to Achilles house and laughed upon being greeted by 3 of him leaning on their canes. But when I somehow get attacked by a wolf during a cutscene and after the dialogue ends, the camera is stuck zoomed in on Connors chest so I can't see where I'm going and have to restart, that's past annoying. This is just one of numerous glitches that made me restart, I really hope Ubi isn't the new Bethesda, shipping glitches instead of games. I had a single glitch in AC1 and 1 in Revelations, honestly, I remember both of the glitches and they weren't repeated or numerous.

With regards to the gameplay itself, they may as well have axed the viewpoints all together, they don't map out everything as they used to (unless this is another glitch). I can't count how many times objectives disappeared off the map or didn't appear until I was actually on top of them. This actually includes general stores etc. that simply disappeared on the map as well. The map doesn't fully appear when an area is explored nor when a viewpoint is activated. Also, the mission structure is bad imo. Many times I found myself wondering where/what I had to do because some side missions just simply start when you're near a npc and it flashes random text while the npc says "thank you". Thanks for what? Walking up to you? Also, I have a homested mission I can't do, as there are no markers for it since I accepted it and went where I was told. Small gripes about the controls aside (some deaths by falling because the game doesn't recognize handholds on trees that are viewpoints) the actual gameplay is great as always. I spent hours hunting and exploring. Didn't mind hand holding during story missions since the meat is free roam. I actually longed for hand holding in the side missions. =( All in all, I'm a AC fan and always will be, but if Ubi makes shipping buggy stuff like this the norm like Bethesda, I'll do what I do with their games now and buy it 6 months later for less and after the 30 patches that ruin more than they fix. Do any developers have playtesting anymore?
  33. Oct 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very boring game, worse in the series. Dumbed down a lot of features. Frame rate is horrible at times. Graphics are al right sometimes but at times you can see it's age but graphics other than frame rate aren't the reason this game is trash. Also Ending is almost as bad ass the Mass Effect 3 ending. Expand
  34. Oct 30, 2012
    Not what I was expecting from what I thought could potentially be the 2012 Game of the Year. From all the pre-release footage I saw, it looked like the series had gone through some heavy refinements, namely in the combat. However, it's really not that much of a difference. It's certainly more streamlined and brutal, but it's still pretty much centered around parrying attacks and going on a killing chain. That's disappointing. I expected it to be more like Batman: Arkham City where the combat has a good mix of attacking and countering, but it wound up being too much on the countering side again. I sure hope this is fixed in the future. As far as the story goes, Connor's is expertly-crafted, but Desmond's... well, let's just say Ubisoft Montreal has managed to pull off a Mass Effect 3 ending, possibly even worse. I'm utterly shocked that the ending to Desmond Miles' legacy this game portrayed was even considered by the writers. It legitimately pissed me off. Not enough to ruin the game, but definitely enough to put an utterly bitter taste in my mouth. The audio and visuals are top-notch, so I can't complain there. All in all, this *is* a good game -- it's even a great game -- but it's fallen into the same traps that all the other past titles have, even if not quite as much. Problem is, it fell into some new traps, creating a very inconsistent experience. It should have been the greatest Assassin's Creed title yet. It's one of the weakest. A game worth buying, but not with a $60 price tag. Expand
  35. Oct 30, 2012
    GREAT GAME!! If you enjoyed any of the previous AC games this is a must own. I love how it weaves AC and American history together for a great experience. I am not done with it yet but I do have about 4 hours into it and so far everything is great.
  36. Oct 31, 2012
    Only idiots would score this game a Zero. Aside form a few manageable bugs this game is a big improvement from the last game, specially the graphics. The environment is simply stunning and the combat is better
  37. Oct 31, 2012
    its amazing how much ubisoft accomplish in this game with the gameplay and setting that just feel magic. in this **** year for gaming i realy look forward to holiday season with this game.
    the story is great and it introduces connor in realistic scenarios without ruinig them and make you feel like part of history (American history). graphics also shine especially in terms of animations
    and the nature, but the same doesnt aplpy for cities because they´re small and empty in my opinion. i think this is the best assassin´s creed game since the second one Expand
  38. Oct 30, 2012
    I'll make this brief and to the point... this game is the best in the series ignore other people taking about bugs, all games have bugs... bottom line is if u like like the AC series u'll love this and if u have never played a AC game before this this the perfect place to start.
  39. Nov 4, 2012
    This game is amazing from the start I could see that this was Ubisofts most innovative and daring Assassins Creed game yet, and it paid off.
    There were many things in this game that should be commended such as the great new combat system and the new open frontier area that opens up so many possibilities and introduced along with it the "fun" ability to climb trees.
    Amazing story, great
    gameplay and awesome characters all together make the best Assassins' Creed game to date. 10/10 Expand
  40. Nov 11, 2012
    Terrible, is one word that I think describes Assassin's Creed III perfectly. I wish someone writing these 10of10 reviews would sit down with me and point out all of the good things they see because I just can not find anything worthy of a 10. Once I passed the introduction/tutorial parts of the game I felt like I was playing Assassin's Creed II again, and I mean the parts of the game you actually get to play. I may as well have been watching "Assassin's Creed III: The Movie". Which would have also been awful considering where they went with the story. I'm upset that I invested both money and time in this title and it has single-handedly strayed me away from anymore entries in the series. Expand
  41. Nov 7, 2012
    I fell in love with Assassin's Creed with the second game, and that game is still magic for me today. ACIII is massive, there are a ton of things to do, but so much of it feels meaningless or trivial, and some of the historical missions are so blatantly forced into the game and so badly done (Paul Revere's ride, for example) that it's amazing to that they made it into a game of this magnitude. There are anachronistic missions and controls problems that seem like they'd more likely be seen in a game with far less of a budget than ACIII had and, overall, this game is a complete disappointment for me. In the two years I waited for this game I never expected that I would have beaten it and sold it back within the first week of release, but here I am. Ubisoft hasn't put out a good AC game since Brotherhood and it's time to find a more inspired series not relegated to the role of cash cow. Expand
  42. Oct 30, 2012
    First off, I've got to say how bloody gorgeous the game is during Massachusetts winter months, absolutely stunning. That alone gets it high marks. The combat feels a little clustered at times, especially when most of it is the simple parrying we've grown accustomed to, with the occasional gunfight--but god does it get satisfying to mow through a crowd. Typical AC fanfare here, and if you liked it in the past, it's sure to please now with perhaps the best overall entry in the series. Expand
  43. Nov 9, 2012
    First of all the people giving this a 10 of 10 you either smoke way to much drugs or have no idea. I loved the AC creed series, but I must say this one has ruined it for me. The story line is way to short and just suddenly dies, major let down. As for the side quests and all the other features. I like the idea, but if you dont make these side missions have any impact on the story/main gameplay then its just a waste of time. For example I finished the entire game without doing a side mission or even purchasing new weapon. Oh and another thing. The animation for firing the muskets is horrible, kinda looks like he isnt even aiming. On the positive I enjoyed the start to mid way of the main story. Created a good atmosphere until it died towards the end. Expand
  44. Dec 30, 2012
    Yes, the Assassin's Creed III I had high hopes for this one. They were maybe a bit too high, the game wasn't able to deliver everything. The gameplay starts to get repetitive at some point but what the heck. I enjoy the naval battles, I enjoy them a lot. But there is just something that misses. I am not sure if it is the main character Connor, for he hasn't got the charisma of Ezio. Or the constant bugs. Oh the bugs. I almost started to cry at one point. The game is at it's best more than amazing, sadly it can't deliver that amazing feeling all the time. Why would I follow a guy if I could just beat the crap outta him? Oh we'll. at least the combat and moving has been made a lot more fluid. Now it feels like you are controlling a master assassin. Nice work. A nice game, just a bit too bugged and relative perhaps. Expand
  45. Nov 3, 2012
    This game is great, when you are bored of the story missions there are heaps of things you can do otherwise such as hunt for animals in the forests or kill redcoats (or patriots) for fun. The graphics are, to say the least, astonishing but this brings the games greatest flaw. It is ridden with glitches and technical bugs which will have you jumping in and out of the animus to troubleshoot. The written is great, but Connor seems to be driven more by anger than revenge and I'm unhappy about how Ubisoft didn't quite make Connor out to be torn hero they promised him to be. All that being said however, Assassins creed 3 is a great game with stunning and fun moments. Expand
  46. Nov 14, 2012
    The same, redundant gameplay, but in Revolutionary America! For the sake of organization, I will break my review into two parts, one for each disc, respectively.

Multiplayer: There is nothing very eye-catching in the multiplayer, in my honest opinion. The multiplayer of the game is essentially the same glitched, buggy experience from Revelations, mixed with the end of Brotherhood's,
    but with a twist. X is now the button to stun as well as kill, making an ever-so-slight change for the better in the mechanics. Smoke bomb makes its infamous return in the game, but with available counters in the forms of Animus Shield, Wipe, and even well-timed knives. However, unlocking items is more expensive than ever, in effort to keep you playing longer. Getting points takes an ungodly long time in game, even after winning many games. In the end, you will still be run down by a pursuer for a typical 150 points, you will still experience glitches, lag, and many other aspects that the Ubisoft devs refused to acknowledge. But hey, you can always just throw down some real cash for "Erudito Credits" and get a completely unfair edge far ahead of everyone else, all while sacrificing any value of playing the game. The multiplayer is worth maybe one and a half marks to me, at most, due to Ubisoft's blatant disregard to the problems so many cried out about after Revelations..

Story: The story takes place in Revolutionary America, where you begin not as Connor himself, but his father. After setting sail for the American settlements, you get to play through a very long and tedious introduction to the story, filled with puzzling scenarios and making no effort at telling you where to go. If you can make it through the confusion of the introduction, new fighting system, and change of scenery from the usual Mediterranean streets, you get a special surprise! What is it? More of the mindless repetitive tasks that Assassin's Creed is famous for. Go here, do this, kill this person, free those people, etc, etc. Perhaps the games should be called "Errand Boy's Creed", because the time you spend actually influencing anything in the story is very slim to none. I personally was skeptical upon seeing AC step into the Revolutionary War, because it makes you wonder.. "What the hell? What's next, the assassins started the Civil War? Did they cause the World Wars as well?" Nevertheless, the transition was seemingly smooth, for the most part. Every now and again, I can't help but feel like I'm right back in the middle of Revelations, though. The game isn't very gripping for the era it tries to relive, for whatever reason. In short, the story is very repetitive, daunting, and slow, mostly even cinematic I would say. The story earns another one and a half stars for its lack of a gripping, engaging story that makes you actually WANT to stick with it until the end.

Better luck next time, Ubisoft. And a word of advice, consider what the people buying your game want beforehand, instead of realizing and trying to correct long after the damage has been done.
  47. Nov 23, 2012
    I feeled in love whit every previews AC...and...
    AC 3 is really disappointing in every way. The story is only for North Americans people, the rest of the world don't even care about your lame revolution. We passed from ancient architectural historical monument climbing to the flat streets of boston and new york city. Game play is boring and repetitive, Missions...boring and repetitive,
    sidquest, guess what!? boring and repetitive and the story line is the worst part of the game! I played the game in a static chord mode wanting to end it, to see what happends next...nothing interesting. sorry for my English, my country wasn' t invaded by British **** Expand
  48. Nov 1, 2012
    Assassins Creed 2 was the series highlight that is no longer true with the release of Assassins Creed 3. The series returns with a new setting, a new character and revamped movement and combat system. This game is set in the time of the American revolution. Your character is the half British and half Native American assassin named Connor. In the beginning you play as Connor's father but I'll try to keep this as spoiler free as possible. Talking about the start the first 3 hours you play as Connor are very narrow and closed. You are funneled down a narrowed path and not given any freedom. But when you are put into the huge open world you really notice the attention to detail and the amount of things you have to do. You can hunt, you can assist strangers, you can just free run through the trees. The revamped combat and movement systems help this experience. The combat has turned into more like an Arkham city experience with a heavy counter focus. This means your using maybe 3 buttons max at any one time. The movement system is even simpler, you hold 1 button to jump, run and vault. It allows you to move more fluidly and you just feel more comfortable holding 1 button. The animation and graphics also must be congratulated. The eyes especially they are just amazing and stare a at you and follow you. In conclusion the Assassins Creed series returns triumphantly with it's best entry so far 10/10 Expand
  49. Oct 30, 2012
    wow.... This game is really fantastic. Great art production, expansive, ambitious, and long as hell.... Best of the series hands down. The open world environment is incredible, the graphics are unbelievable, and the game itself marks a huge shift in the series.
  50. Nov 2, 2012
    Assassin's Creed has lost it's edge in my opinion. The spectacle is there but the specialness (for lack of a better word) is gone. The setting is different this time around and I appreciate that but the formula is basically the same. Don't get me wrong, the series is still passable and (almost) worth $60 and I'm going to keep buying them but with a little less joy and excitement. Yearly releases is only hastening my exasperation. Remember Me is going to be the next Assassin's Creed and will hopefully add a surge or energy to this stealth/memory genre. Expand
  51. Nov 7, 2012
    This game gave me a very conflicted reaction -- I very much wanted to like this game, but I think its main issue lies in the setting. Whilst an Assassins Creed game set in the American Revolutionary War -- filled with tree climbing, tomahawks, horse riding and killing redcoats -- may have sounded like a good idea (and could have been transferred into a working game well, too) unfortunately this is not really the case. Both Boston and New York's buildings are all only 1 or 2 stories high (not including a few church house spires). A lot of the buildings are set far apart as well. All of this makes the free-running and parkour -- an initial selling point of the series -- feel kind of disjointed and lacking. I think they tried to compensate for this with tree climbing, but this too feels a little disjointed and the only places to practice this are out in the wilderness on rabbits and foxes -- not very mind-blowing. Another little superficial flaw for me was the style of the buildings -- America at this time was a new country, so all of the buildings are small stunted brick and wood houses. This is kind of a step backward from the sprawling marble and white stone vistas I am used to from the games before. This is not to say I do not like this setting (I adored Red Dead Redemption) but it does not really fit the series and it's pre-existing themes very well. The ship combat also felt not needed and very underwhelming. I did enjoy many things about this game however -- as always, the history was rich and charming and some of the scenery did take my breath away. Seasons were a neat change and hunting was a fun little feature. Connor lived up to his hype and was a great guy. The story was vast and fantastic and the ending was immense. However, gameplay should come above all these things, and the parkour and combat both felt disjointed and unfitting. Assassins Creed 3 is a decent game. Pick it up if you have the time. Expand
  52. Nov 5, 2012
    This game could have been a 9 except for one major problem.

Bugs... lots of them. I have had to restart numerous missions because of bugs freezing missions, causing me to be stuck in the world, or causing some kind of failure.

I could even accept the confusing and crappy UI in places, particularly in trading and crafting which is barely explained and way more complicated than it
    should be. I even accept that there are going to be some glitches in an open world game.

But the number of bugs in this game is far too great to be excused.
  53. Nov 6, 2012
    While I think that AC2 is still the best in the series, AC3 has a little something, despite all the frustrations, annoyances and glitches the game has.

I was surprised to read on different forums that only a small fraction of the AC players consider the series to be in the stealth genre. It is indeed a stealth game series with emphasis on what we now know as Active Stealth: the act of
    blending in crowds and using NPCs to your advantage.

While AC3 also has the stealth aspect of the series, it also has an extended combat system. However, the game barely makes an effort to push you to use stealth, you will have to push yourself instead. Sadly, notoriety is so easy to erase that you end up incognito too often and just walk around the streets of Boston after killing half an army and tearing down a few posters. I really wished they change that, by using some sort of a timer per example, where your notoriety goes down a few minutes after bribing a crier or a printer. Unfortunately, it's not the case so I just arrange to always keep Level 1 notoriety at all times: it makes the stealth a lot more enjoyable. The thing that is great about the stealth approach, although not for everyone, is that it's now more difficult than ever, provided you have some notoriety of course. There aren't huge crowds moving around in the streets, and the latter are wide, forcing you to plan your approach carefully to avoid guards and patrols as you navigate the cities. NPCs also react faster, which means you can't just walk the street and randomly kill baddies without anyone noticing anymore. Enemies spot you sooner than in previous installments, and may even give chase if you start sprinting while they are watching you. Speaking of chases, those are crazy hard even if you know your way around an Assassin's Creed chase. Guards run faster, spot you from further and you'll sometime be running around for several minutes before finally managing to escape. It's tense, it's difficult, and it's one of the best aspect of this game, especially with the new tools.

The worst thing about this game is that it could have be so much more. Unwelcome additions are the naval battles and the homestead trading parts that are utterly useless. Fortunately you can mostly ignore them, but it pains me to see that a great deal of effort was put in these features, effort that could have been put somewhere else, like quality assurance or level design. Speaking of which, level design is subpar: the story missions are for the majority tedious and linear. While the writing is good, the story is somewhat short. The side missions seem rushed, don't feel like actual missions, and mainly consist of walking around the city killing guards or speaking with NPCs. The controls have changed greatly from the previous games as well. Free running is now done simply by holding the right trigger. Climbing can now be done without holding the right trigger, which is a little bit annoying when trying to carefully grab a ledge, only for our Assassin to jump
    2 meters high and grab the next one. They finally added mechanics to vault over low objects which is a welcome addition. The
    combat is similar to previous versions, although it took me a while to understand that I needed to NOT hold down the right
    trigger to actually do anything.

In conclusion, while it is an enjoyable game, while it has a lot of potential, the game is ridden with glitches and bad design
    decisions that take a lot of fun out of it. Instead of breaking what was working and fixing what was broken, they could just
    have reused the previous installments basic systems and add new abilities and content. It could have been a much better game in retrospect.
  54. Oct 30, 2012
    The sheer amount of content put into a single disc alone should be enough reason for you to buy this game. Like the developers said, if you've never played an AC game before now's the time to hop on board. Stunning wilderness with animals going about their lives and cities filled with people make the world feel real and pull you into the game like ever before in an AC title. Graphical and gameplay bugs are common but they never pull you out from the experience. This kind of stuff is to be expected from a game that has so much content in it. The Anvil Next engine runs great on the consoles. Mostly due to the fairly short draw distance with stuff popping in at every step. After a while you won't even notice it. Mostly because of so much happening on the screen at any given moment. The animations are top notch once again. You can see the time put in to those animations while you're doing combat. The combat system is quite awesome indeed, however the enemies still tend to wait for their turn to get countered. This time around, though it won't happen so often.I won't say too much about the story, otherwise it would go to spoiler territory. I'll say this; It's on-par with AC: II/Revelations story line.(It's amazing) The multiplayer, while there's much more to it than before in terms of content, is like in AC: Revelations. If you liked it in Revelations there's a chance you'll like AC III's multiplayer. AC III is not a perfect game, it has bugs and visual glitches even after the launch patch, but the overall experience makes you ignore if not flat out forget about these problems entirely. (Also, Naval battles) Expand
  55. Oct 30, 2012
    I think this game is pretty damn brilliant. The graphics are absolutely beautiful with the forest settings so vivid and lifelike and literally crawling with life. It is impossible to get bored with many, many missions and when that is done you can always go hunting. Maybe the characters aren't as memorable as say AC II but they are still very interesting and gives it a run for it's money. The plot maybe also a little cliche, going by the series but that doesn't matter when Desmond's story has so many plot twists and emotional content making it definetly his best arc. However there are some little problems like the several glitches scattered through the story but nothing really too major. Plus the ability to upgrade your character is now absent, which is a shame but I guess that's life. I am 1/2 way through this game now and I will say it is definetly up there with AC II but just not good enough yet. Expand
  56. Nov 1, 2012
    this game is by far better the AC rev and Ac brotherhood but still not better then AC 2 but this game is still fantastic hunting is awesome everything is awesome the only bad part about this game is the main character Ezio was probably the best character they chose for this series. its a step in the right direction because the other two weren't so good but at least AC 4 could be the best AC if it listens to the community this time around but other then the main character in this game this game is fun Expand
  57. Oct 30, 2012
    Game starts off slow, some plot holes and what not. . I Think this is well worth the play through. Story and graphics are great, just some glitches that need patched.
  58. Oct 30, 2012
    amazing Enthralling, thematically rich storytelling Tense and atmospheric sea battles It's a joy to watch your homestead develop Amazing attention to historical and visual details Lots of rewarding missions to undertake.
  59. Oct 30, 2012
    I think that it is really funny that boys and girls are reviewing this **** and comparing it with the last AC game.
    The game is much better than ACR, ACR gave me no experience whatsoever in anything, i played through it and i thought it was **** AC III is much more better, maybe the people are acting like everyother, but what the hell would you expect them to do? make every citizen a
    personality....

I think this game is amazing.
  60. Oct 31, 2012
    This game, and by extension the AC property, creates an incredible environment that has factual contexts wrapped in a compelling drama between Assassins and Templar's. For a game to entice me to read historical facts about each person, place, and item has really found an amazing niche within gaming. To be able to immerse yourself in a location and time period long forgotten in our youth is an amazing feat. The sense of wonder and thought that comes with each installment really opens a new channel to humanities past, while still delivering on a level of modern thrill and gore. To skip these titles based on streamlined game-play would be doing yourself a disfavour. While games that focus on strategy and complex game mechanics are needed and certainly welcome (Starcraft, Dark Souls), there should always be room for a compelling story that can help show our youth the horrors of humanities past and one that should educate, even on a basic level, people into understanding where we have flawed in the past. Expand
  61. Nov 1, 2012
    Pure amazing work from Ubisoft anyone who gives a low score is either gay or does not appreciate great work. Shame on you people go play your call of duty and yell at the screen because your terrible at it and cant stop getting killed.
  62. Nov 4, 2012
    AC3 is the best experience i have ever played. Tree climbing pushes the limits and really feels next gen, The Combat has improved tremendously and is now more challenging. The side missions have a lot of effort put in to them. The story of Connor is the most compelling i have played and he is now my favourite assassin. The story of his village and community and how he becomes an assassin is the best yet. Expand
  63. Nov 4, 2012
    There are so many bugs and problems it is worth returning the game if not avoiding it all together. To be clear, the game looks amazing. Once you get used to the fighting mechanics, they're pretty easy and even satisfying. However . . . it's not enough.

the LB menu scroll needs to be accessed constantly, and sometimes, the game resets your D-pad hot keys. It also randomly reassigns your
    custom marker on the map. Also, after some missions your consumables (arrows, traps, bullets, etc) are all reset to zero so you have to buy them again. I've encountered glitches with assassin recruit missions not respawning if you screw them up (making it impossible to get one of the recruits. Mission optional objectives sometimes don't appear until part way thru a mission. sometimes in the heat of very intense gameplay. It's a pain in the tush to read this stuff and perform what they want you to do and many times i finish something not knowing there were specific parameters. It's a god-awful pain. Sometimes, the parameters are just ridiculous (Don't touch the water, was one of them: fine: except the climbing mechanics are not flawless and sometimes your jump comes up short and your heel lands in the river.)

The game-play mechanics are such that you are usually holding RT the whole time. if you play marathons like I do, your finger, no joke, is gonna start getting sore.

The button prompts when you fight an elk, bear or wolf, etc, is very predictable. After the first few fights, you realize it's the same for every animal fight thereafter.

If you're riding a horse, stay on roads. Take it into the trees and you are in for some major frustration.

The story: vapid. I cannot stand recreations of history in which the main character is actually involved with the decisions and actions that shaped history. It really bugs me. Connor doesn't feel like an assassin to me. He feels like a native American taking revenge and you don't get the feeling that he's connected or invested in the rich history of the assassin order.

I'm very disappointed with this game. I'm surprised I haven't returned it yet. I love the series, and I am very invested in MIles's destiny. But This might be the last game for me. revelation was a disappointment, but i stuck it out. There was so much hype for AC3, and you can see they rushed it. This is big studio work. All their money went into advertising and press, that's why there are so many positive critic reviews. But none of the money or love went into making a good game, and I think it's because the team at UBISOFT are freaking out about 2012. They rushed this game.

Do not buy it.
  64. Nov 5, 2012
    My oh my I expected this to be the 2nd greatest AC game to date. The reason why I didn't expect this to be the best is that I used to always get my hopes up about everything, and it ended with me being extremely dissapointed. Ok so I'll get to the point. The new AnvilNext engine is a love hate thing, leaning towards the hate side. The good: Lots of new animations, naval battles weather, tree climbing, better water, seasons, lots of explorability, a little bit better multiplayer, and most importantly, new graphics, which were just a tad better than Revelations'. The bad: The combat wheel/interface is a bit trickier to use, parkour system is 3.5x more derp than Brotherhood's, the stealth is TERRIBLE (you could walk up to a group of guards, stab somebody not in view of the rest, and then out of nowhere the will attack you claiming they "saw what you did".), many, many, many, many glitches and bugs, almanac pages are soooooo hard to get, even the ones that seem simple to get, cutscenes are boring, sequences 1-5 are very boring (I fell asleep for a couples of minutes while one was still going on), combat mechanics are so very hard to get the hang of, musket shots are like modern sniper rifles, officers have very bad aim and often shoot their own squad (but I really won't complain too much though), grenadiers are really hard to kill, officers are very hard to kill, Conner's arm glitches through Ezio's Brotherhood cape in his outfit, rope darts are very derp and hard to use, guards are really dumb, the crowds are very dumb, I can't seem to find the power source places to put the things in during the modern time, is game is a bit too racist (I'm part Cherokee N.A. myself), the naval ship is a little off center when shooting broadside cannon shots, the naval ship is a little hard to control, a lot of unnecessary equipment that I highly doubt anybody would use, horse mechanics are worse than ACII's, my horse will randomly get shot down, I don't understand why Conner had to wait soooo many sequences to kill Charles Lee, Conner was way too mean to Achilles, not able to keep a musket in place of the bow, certain walking movements made you seem like you were drunk, air assassinations don't always work, viewpoints were dissapointingly low in altitude, items in the general store were expensive, and money was hard to come by, lockpicking was very hard, the Frontier was too big and confusing to navigate, I can't seem to equip more than 1 pistol, as I see I have holseters for 2, no ability to use a sword or weapons besides a ranged one on horseback, naval missions were a tad bit too hard, I never had any idea how much was needed to go up 1 notoriety level, the battlefield mission of bunker/breed's hill was harder than trying to melee only your way through a Halo 2 legendary mission, raging at this game was very easy, if you can't kill children in the game, then you shouldn't be able to kill domestic animals, Desmond's missions were too short, and THE ABSOLUTE WORST THING ABOUT THIS GAME IS THAT YOU HAVE TO DO 3 VERY HARD/RAGE INDUCING THINGS TO GET THAT 100% FULL SYNCHRONIZATION!!!!!!! So if you are considering getting this game, don't, please, you'll hate yourself if you do, save your money for Halo when it comes out. Thank you for reading and have a nice day. Expand
  65. Nov 5, 2012
    This game is definitely living up to the hype it gathered pre-release. The redesigned combat mechanics mean you actually have to think out your fights instead of just mashing the attack button, which makes fights feel more rewarding when you win. The movement is brilliant and a lot more fluid compared to older iterations of the game, and the characters and plot are a nice refreshment after having so much Ezio (not that I didn't like the Ezio games mind you). The new AnvilNext engine is it has to be said simply stunning. The environments and details are beautiful and the size of them is mind boggling. Expand
  66. Nov 7, 2012
    Sorry, as much as I like this game, it falls in one of the worst. The online game play is horrible. You are always place in unfair circumstances, and its not fair to newer players. My first game was played with a level 50, and all upper leveled people. I couldn't get a single kill. And now that I'm half decent at the game I still find myself getting shafted by the ignorant games style. My character refuses to fully stun an enemy (honorable death), but on the other side of the table I am always finding myself stunned. And I also see an abuse to use stick targeting. I can have my sights on my target but by the time I get into the killzone my character has switched targets and killed a civilian, then shortly after that I get stunned and if I'm lucky my assassin doesn't come kill me. So all in all the campaign is good, it has a good story line. But the online play is horrendous. And to me, the online play is the main part of the game no a days, so I'm rating this game a 3.

Update lagging online and crappy play style or I will never touch this game again.
  67. Nov 9, 2012
    99% of the 10's are just Ubisoft employee's. The game isn't much of a step up from the last 3 AC games. That being said, its a waste of money. I'd rather spend that hard earned money on a hooker or drugs rather than Assassin's Creed 2.4

This game is just rebranded **** I highly suggest you try before you buy. I made the mistake of buying this festering pile of ****
  68. Nov 11, 2012
    NO SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW Well, thanks god I'm not the only one who sees that this game is really bad. As more people here, I've been an AC fan since first day, I've all cómics, books and games, even the little ones for Android and IOS, I've beaten AC1 ( my favorite ) 18 times, AC2 12, BH 8 and Revelations 3 and I have all superior editions ( Black, Códex, Animus and Freedom ). Not much people can say that they love AC as I do, but this game, AC3 is such a s**t. It's like Ubisoft got all the ingredients, but they didn't know how to cook it, this game could have been the very best AC, they had the history context, they had the graphics, the maps, the varied missions, the best combat in all the saga, and they have screw it up. AC is not famous for his combat or varied missions, it's famous for the story that it has, one of the best stories ever on videogames industry, it's almost as epic as Metal Gear Solid ( which I love even more than AC ), but this game has ruined that history, I wish this game didn't exist, what a boring and EMPTY story, the "epics" moments in this story are empty, that's the main problem of this game, If an important character dies, it doesn't hurt, not like previous games when I almost cried, and the whole history has holes, it's not narrated properly.

So... I've been talking about Connor's story, but Desmond story is horrible too, I don't want to spoil you, but seriosly, what a bad story, It's ruined. And the bugs in this game are really upseting, fast travel points that desapear, NPCs that doesn't walk, NCPS popping in front of you as you walk on the city, game freezes, lot of secondary missions bugged, it's really horrible, please don't buy this game. I'm realy disappointed with UbiSoft, they did the worst work ever, they are really important developers and they have lost all my respects and all really fan's respect. And... you know what? The worst thing they did, it's that they have lied to all of us. They said that they would end Desmond's story and they didn't. When I was at the end of the game, I was like, well, after 5 years, finally I'm gonna give and end for this amazing story, but It doen'st end. If you say that this game is good, you have no idea about what you are saying, I can't handle a 7, but no more than that, this game s**ks, thank you so much UbiSoft, you have ruined one of the best sagas ever.
  69. Nov 16, 2012
    This game is incredibly frustrating. I have played many many games and have never come across a buggier game in my life. I expect all games to come with some bugs/glitches as it is just part of the experience but this goes far and beyond what is acceptable. At launch every single mission and side mission is bugged in some way, especially if you like completing the optional objectives. Not only that, many of the major bugs that are being experienced by multitudes of people are still not being addressed in the 2nd patch. Very poor support on ubisoft's part. I get the feeling they were more concerned about getting my money at launch than actually making a sound game. Very disappointed and out $60 hard earned dollars. Expand
  70. Mar 5, 2013
    AC3 game was great!! yeah it had some glitches when first released but they have since been patched and the game is as polished as it should have been upon release. But if you look past the faults here and there you will find a Fun and Entertaining Game! Here are the Pros and the Cons:

PROS: 1) There have been advances in this game from past games in the series. For one thing you can
    push (LT or L2) on the Xbox or Ps3 controller respectively and zoom into a much closer over the shoulder view ala gears of war. This adds alot to the immersion believe it or not because it gives you more of an authentic view of the world both in the cities and especieally out in the forest and the whole game can be played like this. Then there is the design of the world itself which has been improved.

2) The design of the world itself has improved. In past AC games the free-running was great but it inevitably ammounted to holding right trigger while pushing up on the stick to run forward and climb things. In AC3 however the world is much less linear in design especially out in the forest where you have to think your way around the environments. It added purpose to the free-running mechanic rather then just holding up you now have to think about free-running which is great

3) The fighting has also been improved with more gunplay, and more offense. You can tear thru your enemies like a true badass and almost seem more like a superhero in this game with the amount of carnage but the fighting is actually more realistic in this game then in past games in my opinion. And everything seems to flow better too they got rid of the awkward space between combos like in AC2-Revelations and made it so you can do a continuous combo. You can also interact with walls and objects in the environment for some really brutal kills. And the variety of weapons in this game is the most varied and also the coolest in the series. (Rope dart like scorpion from Mortal Combat :)

CONS:
    There are glitches and the story is kinda bland. If you just except the fact that its not perfect and just go into it looking to have fun its great, but if you're expecting the most polished experience ever that it is not. also this was supposed to be the culmination of all the past games, they were all leading up to this point especially in the desmond storyline and its like they literally care about it but simply did it cause they had 2. Such a shame but you do get to infiltrate abstergo finally which is cool. The ultimate climax of the game is a joke. Don't take the story too seriously, just enjoy the gameplay which is excillent.

VERDICT:
    All in all AC3 is a great game with a vast open world with plenty to do. and the thing about this game is that its actually fun to play (moreso then past AC games which weren't didn't leave much to do outside the main story). There is much more to do in the world this time around its full of side missions, cool armor to collect and places to explore. Also the Naval aspect which is tacked on but very much fun to play (its actually optional and you dont have to really play it at all if you don't want to). And the great thing about this game is its actually fun gameplay-wise to do all the extra missions this time around. Although there are flaws in many ways this is some of the best stuff Ubisoft has done with the series but it can be forgiven in some ways when you consider they did such a massive game in only a year. I wouldn't really give this game a 10 but it deserves more then it has gotten on here. And even with the glitches its still at the very least an 8.5-9.0
  71. Oct 31, 2012
    The AC games have continually improved over time in both game mechanics and also in graphics and the story has always been tops. This game continues that tradition and is easily the finest of them all. After 4 previous iterations they have fine tuned the game play to an impressive degree. More and more is revealed in the overall story arch as you play through the game (don't worry, no spoilers ahead) and the free running in this is stellar to the point of game play nirvana. If you like any of the previous games at all in this unique series you should try this, it will rock you. Great game, I heavily recommend this one. Expand
  72. Nov 8, 2012
    What a flimsy, glitchy POS this game is. A shame too, the artists brought their A game, and the people responsible for bugs and game control phoned it in (they probably worked hard, but on their end this game was not ready for ship). Hoping a patch will fix some issues though I doubt it. If you loved AC2, for me anyways this was a disappointment bordering on a stealing 60 dollars.
  73. Nov 2, 2012
    I rushed to review this and I was unfair to it, I criticised it for its very slow beginnings but one this gets going I'm really enjoying it. It's true that some of the missions are unforgiving and it can be frustrating but once youre hanging people from the trees it becomes something else.

Some will be turned off by the sheer scale of AC3 and yes there are bugs occasionally but all in
    all I'm enjoying this. Brotherhood was the high and Revelations was a disappointment this is doing new things and while it's not perfect and will have its critics I'm glad I bought it. Expand
  74. Oct 31, 2012
    Just played the first two sequences and I am already stunned
    The combat is amazing, every action doesn't feel like separate action but chained together
    The animation engine is really good
    There is some glitches but it's nothing that can't be fix
    10/10 and is surely the best Assassin's Creed
  75. Nov 9, 2012
    Great game! The new location is a good change of pace than the rooftop heavy predecessors of the series. Combat and the new techniques have good additions too. Loved the AC series and this is a good step for the assassin.
  76. Nov 15, 2012
    Absolutely phenomenal game, well worth your money and by far the best and most innovative Assassins Creed title to date. It's combat, graphics, gameplay, mechanics and story/writing are night and day over the previous Assassins Creed games. It takes the series to new heights and depths especially with Connor's story which is beautifully written and played out. The amount of content and gameplay value this game has to offers makes this a must buy game by many standards, and this may be the best game you play all year. Expand
  77. Oct 31, 2012
    Assassin's Creed III takes everything that worked well in previous titles, sprinkled in a touch of Red Dead Redemption, tweaked thecombat to be as smooth as Batman: Arkham City, borrowed the cinematic and character development of Uncharted 2, and polished it all off to be one of, if not the very best, game of 2012.
  78. Oct 31, 2012
    Look, this game isn't really a 10 but i gave it that score to counter all those negative scores from butthurt trolls that are mad because this game is 15x times better than thier favourite generic shooter, CoD.
  79. Nov 5, 2012
    Ive been a fan of the assassins creed game since the first one, so i was pretty exited to get this game in the mail. but the overall experience was to be honest disappointing. Pacing was off, glitches and clipping, choppy frame rates made it hard to swallow. The game does have some positive qualities, but its not redeeming. "anyone remember the chase sequence with hickey?" This one is defiantly the weakest assassins creed to date, definitely trading this one in. Maybe next time Ubisoft... Expand
  80. Oct 31, 2012
    People need to stop trolling, it's really makes me sad seeing trolls giving this game 0's without even stating one valid reason, this game isn't perfect but it's the best this year, way better than ohter rushed games that surprisngly, got better scores than this.
  81. Nov 16, 2012
    Assassin's Creed III is a very fun at times predictable game. The graphics are great the storyline is decent but the thing about AC3 that troubles me is the glitches and the ending but I'm not going to talk about that because of Spoiling it for someone, the other thing about it is the stealth mode where its sometimes rediciouls than anyone would spot an assassin in the grass but overall I will say that AC3 is a good game and one of the best this year. Expand
  82. Nov 3, 2012
    I have been an Assassin's Creed follower since its initial release and my expectations of this release had great anticipation given what I believed was a dismal Assassin's Creed Revelations because of the failure to follow up on character storylines in its release and what I felt was a very poor story; and falling for the marketing hype for this new release.

Assassin's Creed 3 did allow
    the completion of those storylines especially with Lucy, Subject 16 and Daniel as well as Desmond's Father and Minerva and Juno. What is the most troublng to me is Ubisoft's continued persistence in not allowing the gamer to replay the memories at the end of the game. This alone is very frustrating and leaves a very sour taste. This has been the case throughout the series and I was hoping that Ubisoft would change that this time around. I feel the creators and project managers do not get it when it comes to this sort of gameplay. The complete lack of opportunity in this area rates a "0".

The storyline was good in Assassin"s Creeed 3 but the gameplay, controls, cutscenes, fast travel, lockpicking and character development were abismal and the storyline just dragged. The opportunity to create a community in and around the Homestead was terrible and in the end when you went to the ledger your profits were not worth the time and energy to get the community up and running.

The ending was in my opinion another slow motion fiasco and again took control out of the gamers hands.

While understandably this is a work of fiction, it was a far stretch, especially Connor's mentor. This development was poor at best.

Your ability to complete missions at 100% sync was next to impossible and your ability to remain undected at times was a joke. In the end I feel that Ubisoft needs to re-think how they allow the gamer not only to play but to finish a game as well as allow them the opportunity to go back and replay missions as well as the opportunity to play animus missions again as well as the ending. As a gamer this is again so very frustrating when you have invested so much time not only in the main missions; but the plethera of what I feel are way to many side missions, liberations of cities and getting Assassin's for the order.

Perhaps there are far to many hands in the development "cookie jar". It would also be of great benefit to have Ubisoft develop gameplay difficulty settings. The average or recreational gamer would struggle with this game, especially the Pitcairn mission, the Charles Lee chase, the Prison Missions, especially the brawl he has to create and finish. The controls are not set up to allow the average gamer to succeed, unlike previous games.

I sincerely hope that someone from Ubisoft reads these constructive comments and acts upon them. Up to now it does not seem that way.

While the newness and enivironments were at times a welcome change, I do not feel Connor fit the character of the "ASSASSIN" that Ubisoft had developed. The voice acting was marginal in this game with the exception of Connor's Father. The dialogue scenes were terrible as mouths did not even move many times.

Finally I feel Connor's home base in the basement deserved much more attention. It was a huge letdown from the previous games as were the rewards and the advancement of weapons in the game.

I feel Assassin's Creed Brotherhood is the "mold" they should go back to and "Please, Please" allow us to replay the endings and the animus scenes, dialogue's and missions and not have to start and replay a whole new game to do this.

Put the next release into the hands of those who developed and produced "Brotherhood" and someone with some knowledge and wisdom to figure out how we can replay the endings and loose the slow motion and inability to just use the "Apple" at the end of the game.
  83. Nov 4, 2012
    This is NOT a bad game. However, its not the epic we thought it would be. Some things like the naval battles are a nice touch, but you'll tire of them shortly. The story takes forever to get interesting, (But you'll see conners ending coming from the start, just a warning) The final scene with Desmond was alright but the 20 minutes leading up to it will put you to sleep. Overall this game's a let down. Ubisoft claimed it would be "80% a new IP" But it really is just more of the same old same old. The thing that stood out really well is the setting, by far. I've enjoyed my time with all the Assassins creeds, and I enjoyed this plenty. There's a lot to do. Just don't go into it thinking of something groundbreaking. It's AC, but in America. Expand
  84. Nov 2, 2012
    My favorite Assassin's Creed by FAR, with the most developed protagonist yet. Connor is more elegant and brutal than his forebears, and the sheer scope of it's story, wilderness, towns and gameplay offer the most immersive AC yet. Naval battles, and Red Dead Redemption style hunt and trade system are welcome additions.
  85. Oct 30, 2012
    AC3 did a splendid job in graphics, visuals, game play, settings and story. The story may have a slow pace at the beginning but I am glad for the background story behind the game. The combat may feel different , and more difficult but it leads to more options for more combos and different kills so I found the combat just fine. There are more glitches and bugs in the game though, than in previous AC games. I also experienced some lags during combat, free-running and frame rate drops during cinematic. Despite some technical issues, it is still a great game but I wish Ubisoft gave the game more development time to fix the bugs. Expand
  86. Oct 31, 2012
    If you can ignore all the bugs of this game, AC3 have everything and more of what a GOTY game is supposed to be like. The hunting, crafting and side missions all make the game so much more enjoyable. The story is one of the best this generation has to offer and you would do yourself a great favour by purchasing this.
  87. Oct 31, 2012
    This game blows me away. I think its so funny reading all the negative reviews. So far i like everything about this game and it really stands out as an achievement in the gaming industry. pat on the backs to everyone at ubisoft for a fantastic worth every penny game. thanks
  88. Nov 1, 2012
    Utterly brilliant, and by far the best in the series yet. Single-player and Multiplayer both fantastic. Game of the year no doubt and a definite must buy.
  89. Nov 1, 2012
    It is the best AC game I have played so far. I hope they make another game like this. The main points that they have introduced into the game is the hunting mechanic, which includes snares, bait. they introduced bows, tomahawks, pistols, rope darts and the hidden blades can pop out and be used as knives.
  90. Nov 2, 2012
    This game is Awesome. Ubisoft create a AMAZING game.
    GamePlay and graphic and sounds is very good!
    Connor is a brave assassin.
    JJJJJJJJUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSST AAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSS CCCCCCCCCCCCRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEED
  91. Nov 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a big fan off the AC series, but 3 seems lacking. I'm playing on the PS3. I was looking forward to climbing and jumping from tree to tree , but the mechanics don't work very well. Tons of glitches, so-so graphics, combat feels clunky, and *small spoiler* when you go to get your training there seems to be parts of the conversations missing. "Will you train me?"

"No."

"How about now?"

"No."

"Just beat up some guys. Now?"

"Yep. BTW, I instantly know who's son you are even though you didn't tell me cuz I have The Shining or something."

*YEARS LATER, NO CUT SCENES OR OBLIGATORY TUTORIALS*

"Ok, you're trained. Off you go!" There are good parts, though. The voice acting is great and um..... yeah. Point is, the game is still playable, though you're gonna have a few rage quits.
  92. Nov 3, 2012
    goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood game . i like it very muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.ubisoft work great
  93. Nov 3, 2012
    Its easily the best assassins creed game and ubisofts greatest work. the improvements are amazing the multiplayer is very exciting its definitely game of the year
  94. Nov 4, 2012
    Quite easily one of the greatest games ever made. This game is beautiful. With sprawling cities and a massive frontier to explore it is breathtaking. And it is just so much fun. The story is amazing and it constantly pulls you making it almost impossible to put the controller down. If this game doesn't win game of the year and loses to Halo or Black ops 2 I will eat my own head.
  95. Nov 7, 2012
    It's an OK game but not great. The graphics look like dreamcast, Need to lower 3-D strength to 1 and increase brightness to 7 which gives more natural look. Desmond, Shaun, Rebecca looked kinda goofy. I like the way they were in AC2 & BH. Start is slow and boring. I find collecting feathers, trinkets, almanacs to be a bit annoying. Almanacs are the worst. Almost every viewpoint trees are the same. Frontier/homestead missions were kinda lame. Hunting and discovering animals seems kinda pointless. I don't like being forced to skinned every animal when I ditch them. Attacking & looting convoys aren't worth much the rewards. You're better off just looting chest boxes instead. Naval missions were a bit boring. Controls were kinda dumbed down. What happened to the throwing knives? You can't grab ahold enemies, you have to deflect attack then grab them but it throws them automatically. You can't chuck weapons at enemies like in AC-BH & Revelations, it would be cool to spear a redcoat with a bayonet from range or throw an axe. Combat seems less evolved than previous AC series. No dodge? Seriously?? You cannot do double assassinations easily while standing, I performed double air assassinations more than standing. The story is not bad though except the beginning. Some parts were rushed and forced. I find one mission 'Boston Tea Party' to be frustrating when you have throw guards into water which puts you in awkward positons. Limiting number of kills / don't shove anyone while chasing as an optional objective is ridiculous. Connor seems dull but finally flourished after chasing and killing Hickley. Ending is not that great, you have to sit and wait for a 20 minute cast to pass to finally get game completion achievement. I'm pretty disappointed, it doesn't feel like an AC game, the elements were off and different. Felt like playing Red Dead Redemption with AC elements. I find it hard for me to care to replay through the 5 hour boring slow start again. Expand
  96. Jan 7, 2013
    I've loved the series but I loathed this game. Worst ending in video game history. Full of bugs and inconsistencies. Had potential, but needed another year in development.
  97. Nov 1, 2012
    This is the Assassin's Creed we've all been waiting for. Incredible and focused storytelling, wonderful and engrossing new environments to explore, refined and visceral combat; ACIII is ambitious, huge, and very entertaining. The only thing holding this incredible experience back are the technical problems. I think that, with ACIII, we've finally seen what the Xbox can push out. ACIII is incredible graphically, but the poor draw distance, multitude of bugs, strange/annoying glitches and the fact that some mechanics just don't work is just inexcusable, especially coming from such a high pedigree. It's a shame that after four big console releases the AC team refuses to add that layer of polish that would have made ACIII no doubt one of the best games of all time. Not that it isn't a good game, AC3 is filled with content to explore, secrets to uncover, and story to be unraveled at an expert pace. AC3 is a rough diamond. Expand
  98. Nov 1, 2012
    I'm a big fan of the AC series, and overall this is an enjoyable game, but with a few hiccups. I'll start off with the issues I've encountered and that is a few bugs and glitches. Fortunately nothing that has been game breaking, but annoying such as your horse running into an invisible wall randomly on a path. And other little things that are weird, but funny such as people walking on air. Otherwise I haven't had any that have made the game unplayable. Also early on the game you are limited to what you can do, and that is common in all AC games, but it takes about 3-4 hours to finally get to a part in which you can explore and do things on your own.

That said, there are some things this game does well to improve on the AC formula. The biggest one is the environment feels lively and breathtaking. The Frontier is beautifully and fighting off wolves and bears are fun, and makes it easy to get money. The time frame is something I personally enjoy as I love the Revolutionary War, and meeting people like Samuel Adams, John **** and taking part of the Tea Party, Paul Revere's ride, the Battles of Lexington and Concord, and so forth make it exciting, and the way they presented these events is amazing to say the least. Finally the missions overall have typical AC affair in which you constantly fighting people, but they added some new missions including naval battles and helping out people to build your community. Some of these missions are quite unique and breathes some fresh air into the series. Furthermore, the naval battles are epic and exciting to take part in. Finally the combat is more challenging now, and sometimes it's easy to get overwhelm and you take a lot of damage quickly if you don't time your attacks well. Furthermore, the new weapons and counter moves allow you to pull some cool and quick kills that make you feel like you are Jason Bourne. Overall, this is a good game in which you'll get your money's worth due to all the side missions and exploring you can do. Also if you are a history buff that loves this era, then you'll enjoy taking part of famous battles and seeing things play out.
  99. Nov 11, 2012
    Single player:
    Games are basically interactive movies at this point. In a movie, you would not have a character get built up like he is going to have one hell of a fight ahead of him and then not have a payoff at the end. That would be piss poor writing (or The Great White Hype). The problem is, that is what this movie does. Ezio was supposed to be teaching Desmond how to become a world
    class assassin. Instead, we get an ending with no payoff for all the work Desmond has put in. Just a bland ending to the "trilogy".

Multiplayer:
    Some refinements have been made to the multiplayer. If you liked the previous installments, chances are, you are going to like this one.
  100. Nov 14, 2012

1. Dec 5, 2012
    At least the petty indignities of the multiplayer are optional and situated around gameplay that's solid and unique, if frustratingly stagnant. In the single-player campaign, however, it's impossible to escape the ham-fisted manipulations of the Assassin's Creed III development team.
    Assassin's Creed III is a pretty damn fine game. It loses none of what makes the series fun with the translation to another time and continent, and creates a whole new set of experiences which define the franchise. The biggest issue, if there is one, are the small technical issues, but these niggling technical issues only seem worse because everything else is such a great experience.
    Like any game of such scope, not every part of it is perfect. Yet, taken as a whole, there is very little that can compete with its wonderful, lavish, historical playground. [Issue#91, p.22]