5.5

1. Jun 27, 2014
    Assassin's Creed Liberation HD is not the definitive way to play an Assassin's Creed game. The story, unlike most of the other games, is very jumbled around and confusing. The gameplay is also weak and full of bugs. That is not meant to mean that it is a bad game, just not a great one.
  2. Jun 24, 2014
    Pros: Concise missions with only 1 optional objective, no RTS crap, still better than AC3
    Cons: Way too many collectibles that server no purpose, QTEs that aren't fun, animals lack any real challenge, last couple of missions are crappy designs, avatars cut in an out of existence, cutscenes repeat in some cases, no clear understanding of what some mission objectives are, Connor is back,
    crashed a couple of times, camera angles bounce everywhere Expand
  3. Feb 21, 2014
    Straight out the gate, you realise that this game will be inferior to the excellent AC4. I imagine Liberation's was a passable accompaniment to AC3 but you really appreciate how much they improved on what I consider the two weakest installments I've played in the Assassin's Creed franchise.

There are positives to Liberation though. The HD upgrade is noticable and the graphics are quite
    good. At its core, this IS an Assassin's Creed game which means it is fairly well polished with a lot of content (side missions, unlockables, etcs). The costume system was quite unique and is something I think could be well integrated in to future AC games too. I managed to play the game from start to finish with 100% synchronisation and all achievements completed too which is a testament to playability at the least.

However, the flaws are many and often quite frustrating. You can immediately tell this was a game optimised for a handheld console and I often found myself making excuses for the game by thinking "on a handheld, this would be quite impressive" but it also made me think it was an uneccessary port and I'm not certain who will be pleased by this game when you can buy a copy of the much superior console optimised AC games for cheaper I imagine.

The city is reasonably sized as is the Bayou but it gets quite boring when you consider the level of detail and exploration in other titles. It also seems quite sparcely populated due to what I imagine were handheld constraints but this has not been adapted for a more powerful console and makes the game seem uncomfortably sparce at times.

The enemy AI ranges from god-like to complete idiocy at times. I often found myself being spotted by overly sensitive guards, having to repeat some basic missions multiple times to have a modicum of success. Meanwhile in other instances, you can obliterate a group of enemies without so much as a blink.

The viewpoints once again utilise the irritating AC3 mode of revelation which only partially reveals the land. Very frustrating in the Bayou which is incredibly complex to navigate at times. I found myself swimming far too much.

The plot is paperthin. I had no idea what was really going on and in all honesty, wasn't too bothered by it. Aveline is the weakest lead in the series so far and I found it hard to become attached to her. The plot jumps around, explaining large chunks of character/history through text which is again, a problem from its handheld origins. I found myself reach the end of the game and thought that the conclusion was so unsubstantial that nothing has changed. The character development is poor. The villains lack any character, appearing in one sequence and essentially dying for the sake of plot progression and providing nothing else.

The list of grumbles go on but I'd summarise it by saying that Assassin's Creed Liberation HD is like a death by a thousand paper cuts. The core of the gameplay is solid and I can't find any major gamebreaking flaws or anything like that but ultimately, too many minor irritations and flaws made this game decidedly average.
  4. Jan 27, 2014
    I played this game on the Vita. It wasn't good on that console, and it wont be good on any other. The story is incredibly bland, the acting cant be taken seriously. I'd imagine that the game play would be better on other consoles but I don't imagine it would improve the overall experience. All a pity because Aveline as a character in concept is so compelling but the acting and lack of fleshing on the characters falls short of the brilliant game this could have been. I love the AC series and this is unfortunately the black sheep in the family that no one wants to mention. Expand
  5. Jan 24, 2014
    I'm honestly not sure as to the lower than average scores. This game is far from a 10, but it is more in line with an 8 than a 6. Keeping in mind the price point, this game is well worth it. Sure the story is a bit lacking, but it was pretty lacking in AC 4, which is the entry most reviewers are comparing Liberation to. But like AC 4, it has a protagonist who is, more or less, likeable, although personally I find Aveline more likeable as her motivations extend beyond her desire to get rich. To be fair, she already is rich, but what I mean is that she never seems beholden to the idea of wealth or power, while Edward is obsessed by it. His obsession lead him to a most unpleasant end, wherein he got what he wanted, but paid a terrible price later on....it seems when your money comes from illegal means, you're looked down on as much back then as you are today.

In any case, let's look at the mechanics. It's not right to compare this to AC 4, because it's not like AC 4. What it is like is AC 3; it feels like the expansion of AC 3 that the woefully disappointing "Infamy" should have been. One of the better things about AC 3, was the combat, which was unrelentingly brutal and satisfying in that it took the better elements of Arkham combined it with just enough challenge to make it rewarding. It's fully realized here. Gone is the sluggish, unresponsive garbage that passed for combat in AC 4, and the pure violence that stripped from AC4 in the name of accessibility, (blood spattering/entry-exit wounds/bloodied uniforms/etc), has been restored in Liberation.

Is the world on the small, side...not really. It's big enough and open enough to showcase a vibrant, unique world with the atmosphere you would expect from 18th Century New Orleans. The graphics are much better than expected, rather than simply up scaling them which would have looked like garbage, it's clear they re-did them completely for the purpose of allowing it to stand toe to toe with other entries in the series. It isn't quite as graphically polished as more recent entries, but it's still very nice to look at.

AC 4 was fun for it's fantasy elements....the ship and seeming freedom to truly do whatever you pleased, but if you felt the combat was lacking and wanted it to be a more visceral experience with a serious protagonist whose presence makes one wonder what AC 3 could have been had Connor been just a little more interesting, then I encourage you to give this a go
  6. Jan 20, 2014
    I enjoyed this almost as I have enjoyed every other entry in the series. It's a shorter and smaller game in scale but that doesn't deprive it of its classic AC gameplay. And Aveline is a better character than Connor.
  7. Jan 18, 2014
    This game is like assassins creed 3, i think its pretty good also including the new persona system you can be assassin aveline or lady aveline and slave they all have their advantages like the assassin persona can let you have more guns/weapons and it also has its disadvantages like how the lady can only have acouple weapons but it gets notoriety very slowly while the assassin gets noteriety fast the slave i honestly do not know sorry about that i dont go to the slave persona but i still do think this game is pretty good i recommend even the graphics are good. Expand
  8. Jan 18, 2014
    Most reviewers are treating this game as it should have been a sequel to the amazing black flag, like it should have gone beyond the scope of Assassins Creed. What he keeps forgetting is that ITS A BLOODY REMAKE. Its not supposed to do anything different except fix the bugs and improve the visuals which this game did. I will admit, the vita version was no very good. But this game has improved on it in so many ways. The vita version had hundreds of bugs and glitches from broken trophies to even one broken mission I encountered. In this game, they were no where to found. The ONLY glitch that they hadn't taken out(which really annoys me for some reason) is the butter knife glitch where Aveline looks like shes holding a butter knife the wrong way when she does double counters with her machete. Everything else is fine. While the story has plot holes, their mission wasn't to add more to the main story! And they even helped out the player by reminding them what was going on from time to time in an un-interruptive way. There are literally 2-3 tailing missions. And you don't get detected right away, they give you a good amount of time (at least 20 seconds) to hide. The missions in this game have a good pace to them but there are some plot holes that leave you wondering. The combat system is the same as AC3 and AC4 except the sound doesn't glitch off all the time like in the latter. It has all new amazing sword moves as well, only the machete moves are copied from connor. This game has also brought back stealth, which is the strength of the AC series.

The slave and lady personas have also been improved as they have new mechanics that help you blend in plain sight. I think they should have implemented them more in your efforts of releasing slaves (lady pays for their release, slave sneaks in and releases them, assassin fights slavers etc..) but there are moments in the game when you do this!

The checkpoints are also spread out in a moderate way as well. They aren't great, but they definitely aren't horrible. I honestly think it deserves at least an 8.5 for:
    +Amazing protagonist
    +improved combat
    +Improved graphics
    +Improved mechanics for the personas
    +improved tailing
    +A variety of new soldiers from the vita version that provide more of a challenge when fighting
    +Sound is VERY much improved
    -no new ways to use personas to liberate slaves besides hiding in plain sight
    -some boring side missions
    -Graphics aren't up to par with AC4, though they are on par with AC3
    -plot holes
    -Some bad voice acting
    I strongly recommend you get this game. I think this game will be worth your while. I loved this game.
  9. Jan 18, 2014
    This is fun! I have played and enjoyed all the Assassin's Creed games and for $20 this is a great addition to the series. There's a ton of content, lots of open world to explore and you play as 3 characters, each having different abilities. This is absolutely worth the $20 and I would buy more of these, in between the big releases. I'm having a ton of fun with the game and I'm excited about more of these. Expand
  10. Jan 17, 2014
    From the perspective of someone who just finished Black Flag, and experienced what an Assassins Creed game can really be, it is possible to see Liberation's port as a bit of a letdown, but don't let the word "port" -or the title's humble beginnings- be a deterrent.

Comparing the graphics of Liberation HD to the original Vita version and with AC 3, it is clear that it benefits greatly
    from the facelift. The city of New Orleans (as well as the other areas) received new, bustling life that took it from seeming like a ghost town to being more on par with AC3's Boston, though slightly smaller.

The storyline does feel a tad bit... fast at times, but I personally did not see it as a detriment to the title. The lack of jarring modern-day sections (which were awful in 3 and greatly improved in 4) is a welcome addition to the series, with the entirety of the gameplay taking place within the confines of the narrative. The only incursion is the "hacking" of your copy of the game by the entity known as Erudito, whose goal is to show you the unaltered memories that Abstergo changed to show the templars in a better light. A fantastic twist on the typical modern day setting.

Aveline handles well with a controller, though suffers from the same niggling problems that plague all AC protaganists; there were a few times when I found myself swearing at Aveline for jumping into a tree instead onto it, but no more than any other characters, either. The combat system has been reduced to two buttons, but let's REALLY be honest: How many players really used anything more than "Counter"? The chain kill mechanic is a nice way to step back from the action and allow a chance to get quality kills, though the opportunities to use it didn't seem to be there as often as I would have liked.

On the subject of Aveline, the persona system was an excellent idea, which, if fleshed out just a little bit more, could have been an AMAZING idea, but as it stands it still did its job, which was to expand the character of Aveline into more than simply a puppet you can use to stab people.

Storywise, it IS much shorter than its other console brethren, and there are unfamiliar textual summaries of events which took place off-screen (or, baffingly, sometimes on-screen). Mission-wise, there was a nice mix, with a few new mechanics thrown in for good measure (puzzles? I liked them!). It felt like Assassins Creed 2 in regard to the missions, still basic in a way, and not laden down with unnecessary fluff like later titles. As I stated above, it did seem very fast (it took me maybe 7 hours to complete the main storyline) but at a third of the cost of a major title (or less with the season pass for Black Flag) it is hard to throw too big of a fit about the length of the story. (And with all of the collectibles and an achievement/trophy for actually completing the game 100%, you'll get more out of it than just that time).

Admittedly, it IS possible to tell that this was a handheld game first; there are a few areas (mainly in Chichen Itza, and parts of the bayou) where the models for the trees or rocks seemed incongruous with the HD setting, but for the most part this was easily ignorable. A few animations suffer from the jump, most egregiously swinging with the bull-whip across gaps (which is still a lot of fun, it just looks really STRANGE).

The characters with which you interact are some of the best in the series, including the brooding, moody Assassin mentor Agate and the smugglers Aveline befriends in the bayou. It is a shame that so many negative reviews by players who expected more (for 20 bucks how much do you really want?) will ultimately lead them to be undiscovered.

Pros:
    Solid Title with decent concepts
    Beautiful look at French Louisiana
    A third of the price of a retail game
    Series first female protaganist, who is clever and not afraid to use her position(s) to her advantage.

Cons:
    A few modeling issues
    Storyline that is short by console standards (though without modern-day fluffery)
    One mission where you have to put up with Connor's terrible, bland voice-acting.

If you are looking for a decent game for 20 bucks, and are a fan of the Creed series, definitely pick this up. It's more of the same, admittedly, but it isn't AC3, and that in itself counts for a lot. It doesn't hold up next to the likes of Black Flag, but it is a fun little game and it shows that Ubisoft isn't afraid to experiment with the AC formula. If you played this on the Vita, it's up to you whether you play it again since it is still the same game (though all the bugs of the vita version have been fixed).
  11. Jan 16, 2014
    This game suffers untimately from the graphical power and gameplay AC4 had, but it's far from a bad game. It is enjoyable and due to the female protagonist and the setting offers a different approach with a great atmosphere. Of course from time to time one is reminded it is a Vita port but it is not that bad really. For 20 dollars a really good game. I give it an 8
  12. Jan 16, 2014
    AC Liberation is a port of the Vita and it shows the game also.
    The graphics are poor as that of part 4 and the story is very lame.
    What is good pleases me personally the female assassin that offers a variety.

In conclusion it can be said that AC Liberation was better eye picked up the Vita. On the big consoles the game looks ugly and has less fun.
  13. Jan 17, 2014

Pros:
    Solid Title with decent concepts
    Beautiful look at French Louisiana
    A third of the price of a retail game

Cons:
    A few modeling issues

1. Feb 23, 2014
    AC Liberation HD lacks the production values the series used us to, and even if it's a Live Arcade release it results in a weak experience, with a badly narrated story and the complete omission of the multiplayer component, present in the original version. Ubisoft did a good HD porting job, but it's hardly an unmissable game.
  2. Feb 14, 2014
    For those who’ve played the original version, the update has nothing new to offer except for a slight spit-and-polish and a few extra lacklustre missions.
  3. Feb 10, 2014
    The only thing that Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD really succeeds with is to show how different a portable game is designed and why it usually doesn't work well with the consoles. The missions are boring and bland, and there really isn't anything in this game that isn't twice as good in the regular Assassin's Creed game, making this entry the worst in the series.