7.8

1. Apr 3, 2015
    A great start to a very successful series.

This game is much more focused on the actual assassin part of the game, and it's this purity and charm that still makes it one of the best. Graphically superb for its time, you run around big detailed cities and countrysides, and the missions are well scripted and rewarding. The plot is somewhat confusing to start, and quite thin. The
    A great start to a very successful series.

The plot is somewhat confusing to start, and quite thin. The plot keeps swapping between modern day and past, but once you are used to the basics its easier to follow.

You play as Altair, a disgraced Assassin looking to return to glory and earn the respect once of again from his peers. The game takes about 10-15 hours to complete, and does a good job of mixing up the environments for each assassination.

The main mechanic for this game is the free running ability. Its does a great job of giving you freedom to do anything, so you can assassinate any way you want to. You can literally climb or run across anything.

The only problem is before each assassination can take place you must do smaller tasks, such as pick-pocketing information or eavesdropping on guards. These are the same for each mission, and you have to do them, essentially doing them 10 times in a row. This repetition can discourage a few players unfortunately.

Enemy AI is OK, but the game is not hard by any means. Combat is particularly easy, as Altair can fend off sometimes 20 guards at a time!

However it is a great game, and if you like adventure games that make you feel like a true dangerous assassin, this game is for you.
  2. Dec 6, 2014
    I remember the first game of the series well, it was ground breaking at the time, but appears repetitive and outdated when compared to the Assassin's Creed games that followed it.
  3. Dec 3, 2014
    One of the most overrated games I've ever played. For a game about assassinating people, I haven't done much assassinating for the first few levels. Lots of walking around "blending" in. I.E. Moving VERY slow. The first guy I killed, I didn't even "assassinate". I couldn't get out of his way fast enough because if you do anything besides the slow, slow, prayer walk, the guards willOne of the most overrated games I've ever played. For a game about assassinating people, I haven't done much assassinating for the first few levels. Lots of walking around "blending" in. I.E. Moving VERY slow. The first guy I killed, I didn't even "assassinate". I couldn't get out of his way fast enough because if you do anything besides the slow, slow, prayer walk, the guards will just attack you. So he walks up to me and screams "YOU DARE CHALLENGE ME?!" and attacks. So I kill him then just...ran away? They could have gotten anyone to do that. Not a highly trained assassin.

Oh, and look at that guy, trotting on his horse in the middle of the countryside...KILL HIM. I can only imagine they make you move so slow most of the time....was to pad the game out.

Terrible game.
  4. Nov 15, 2014
    I love the Assassin's Creed franchise, but I hate the first one, the game is old clunky and is very repetitive, you'll be doing the same thing over and over again: Listen over a conversation, find someone, interrogate someone ect... Its very boring and isn't worth a buy.
  5. Nov 10, 2014
    Assassin's Creed is a moderately fun game if this is the first entry that you play in the series. Running around these open cities and climbing up buildings is a lot of fun, but the other Assassin's games have much more to offer. It becomes repetitive as the main plot of the game is killing historical figures. There are nine of them in this game, yet after the third or fourth one itAssassin's Creed is a moderately fun game if this is the first entry that you play in the series. Running around these open cities and climbing up buildings is a lot of fun, but the other Assassin's games have much more to offer. It becomes repetitive as the main plot of the game is killing historical figures. There are nine of them in this game, yet after the third or fourth one it becomes boring. To do this you also have to eavesdrop on people which is incredibly boring. If you want to get into the gameplay of the Assassin's Creed franchise this is an alright place to start. However, if you want to be entertained throughout and have more developed characters and story, the other titles are better to start with. Expand
  6. Sep 12, 2014
    Assassin's Creed is a historic open world action adventure game that tries to make the player feel like an assassin, with some success. The open world is dynamic, and very immersive. The combat is great, with fast-paced action, but feels a bit unfinished. Now, the story is amazing, and to progress you have to complete small activities to reach your target, which are reasonably fun, but areAssassin's Creed is a historic open world action adventure game that tries to make the player feel like an assassin, with some success. The open world is dynamic, and very immersive. The combat is great, with fast-paced action, but feels a bit unfinished. Now, the story is amazing, and to progress you have to complete small activities to reach your target, which are reasonably fun, but are SO repetitive! However, the assassination missions are great, and provide a very fun challenge. The game does seem unfinished, but it's one of the most immersive games to date. Expand
  7. Sep 11, 2014
    This game sucks i wonder how this **** got 80 points by metacritic.This game is so repetitive and soooooo boring and after some time u don't even want to play this game and even in the cutscenes suck ass with no subtitles.
    IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME DO NOT BUY IT PIRATE IT BECAUSE ITS NOT WORTH YOUR MONEY!
  8. Sep 9, 2014
    Revolutionary! Loved it. May get a little repetitive, but it rewards you with a piece of the story once you get it right. Please play this before AC2. I hate when a game gets hate after it's sequel is released.
  9. Jul 27, 2014
    Assassin's Creed has so much potential, but it isn't what it should be. Imagine playing a story mission with action, interesting dialogue and characters, except you have to do it nine times over. This game is extremely repetitive: go to a city, do a couple of side missions that are the same in every city, assassinate someone and repeat. The combat is well done, and it's fun to assassinateAssassin's Creed has so much potential, but it isn't what it should be. Imagine playing a story mission with action, interesting dialogue and characters, except you have to do it nine times over. This game is extremely repetitive: go to a city, do a couple of side missions that are the same in every city, assassinate someone and repeat. The combat is well done, and it's fun to assassinate people, but it gets old. I do enjoy the story and setting and the graphics and environment are actually quite good for 2007. Assassin's Creed isn't bad at all, it's decent, but it just gets boring very quickly. Expand
  10. Jul 2, 2014
    This game broke new ground at its release and was further improved upon by assassins creed 2. However it took me years to beat because i'd get bored by it, come back, and not know what was going on. I did find the game to be of high value overall, but I would give it a 7 out of 10 for being a great title, but not one I'd see myself coming back to a second time.
  11. Jun 18, 2014
    Jerusalem, 1911 AD, in the time of the Third Crusaders. The streets sparkle with action, but within seconds you, the feared assassin (Altair), will change all this.

You play as a man called Altair living in a very futuristic world, and you have tried to forget your past but someday a couple of people bring you to this machine called the Animus...that forces you to reenact all your past days as an assassin...then the game begins.

Personally i loved the way the creators of Assassin's Creed mingled history and science fiction together. As a first impression, in the first hour or so, the graphics and the gameplay was all i could think of for the couple of hours after switching the Xbox off. I got to say, the graphics are intense...i have never seen so much dedication to graphics before - it would seem just like you are watching a scene in a movie where the protagonist is walking through a very crowded area. I know it's hard to say...but the graphics are even better than GoW and GTA IV. Even if you look at a pot ona shelve or something you can see the same texture as you would with a real pot.

At first you don't have many weapons and skills to fight and defend yourself but as the game wears on, you increase dramatically with your skill - in the game with the swords and your skill with the buttons on your controller. The storyline is also quite interesting because in each level you can do a number of things to choose your personality in the game. You can be a pickpocket, you can help helpless citizens, be violent and kill all the guards or be stealthy and try and avoid them - or even you can do all of these. But each level as a certain assassination that the masters give you and you have to find information throughout the level about this person...then kill him. All this seems so interesting but finish a couple of levels and kill hundreds of guards the storyline gets a little repetitive and boring...destroying the excitement of killing people.

There is one thing in the game that I will never get tired of and that is while fighting off a large group of guards. What I love doing is holding my dagger in defense and then pressing 'X' to counter attack the guard. If you do that at a certain time, Altair will eliminate the guard in a very smooth and swift way...and there are many smooth and swift ways. Then, when the dagger goes through the body of the guard blood gushes out and increases the intensity of the graphics.

The sound effects are also pretty impressive and exciting. The sound changes according to you status in the game, if you are unnoticed the sound will be cool, but if you are being chased by a large group of guards that music will change to something more drastic and fast. Then to loose that large group of guards you will have to hide in a haystack or a little box thingy with curtains...if you are hiding the music will change into a heart beat rhythm. Then again, it gets repetitive as you go further into the game.

At many points in the game, the map doesn't show you objective and what you have to do next then it gets quite difficult to go on because the cities are really big. This gets really frustrating and you feel like quitting...but then after hours of search you might be able to find your objective. Also, the achievements are pretty hard to get.

The cutscenes are also very cool and unique. They are unique because in the cutscenes of Assassin's Creed you can move around and change the camera views when there is a "glitch" in the game. (People who have played this game will know why I put "" around glitch).

Lastly, my favorite thing about thing about this game is that you can climb up call building and synchronize with the city. The way the game shows the city when you synchronize with it is beautiful and very clever...i loved it. I also enjoyed climbing and jumping from building to building. Though the climbing can get pretty annoying because you have to be perfectly in line with the thing you are going to use next to climb with.

Graphics = 9.5/10
    Storyline = 7/10
    Sound Effects = 8/10

OVERALL = 8/10
  12. May 9, 2014
    Released in 2007 and developed by Ubisoft Montreal, Assassin's Creed provides a fun adventure that is sure to stick in the minds of those who play it for years to come. It certainly has its share of faults, but with a detailed open world and satisfying open-ended gameplay, Assassin's Creed is an instant classic.

Assassin's Creedis a game that avid open-world sandbox fans will find

Assassin's Creedis a game that avid open-world sandbox fans will find enjoyment in, and it has quite a bit to offer. It has a likable and well paced historical story, marvelous cities and art design, satisfying assassination missions, and a fitting soundtrack. It is unfortunate that it is marred by a very repetitive gameplay design, a one-dimensional modern-story, and that the side-activities are pointless and mundane. Assassin's Creed is a good game that has a lot of potential, but it has a lot to determine about itself before it can be something truly amazing.

The Positive
    ___________

+ Likable historical story

+ Gratifying assassination missions

+ Remarkable cities and art design

+ Fitting soundtrack

The Negative
    ____________

- Painfully repetitious gameplay

- A flimsy modern-day story

- Mundane side-activities
  13. Apr 9, 2014
    Apesar de ter uma influência do Prince of Persia, a jogabilidade do Assassin's Creed é bastante limitada, a maioria dos movimentos é realizada quase automaticamente e você praticamente só tem a função de acompanhar o que se pede, já que os objetivos já ficam todos bem explícitos. Não há muito o que fazer em relação a liberdade que o jogador poderia ter, uma vez que o jogo em sí é umApesar de ter uma influência do Prince of Persia, a jogabilidade do Assassin's Creed é bastante limitada, a maioria dos movimentos é realizada quase automaticamente e você praticamente só tem a função de acompanhar o que se pede, já que os objetivos já ficam todos bem explícitos. Não há muito o que fazer em relação a liberdade que o jogador poderia ter, uma vez que o jogo em sí é um flashback, então basta seguir a história e nada mais. Em poucas palavras: é uma Visual Novel com belos gráficos. Expand
  14. Mar 2, 2014
    Pros:
    Good story.
    Good graphics.
    Nice swordplay.
    Great protagonist.

Cons:
    Not really open.
    No side missions.
    Climbing is too slow.
    Too easy.
    Desmond sections are pretty boring
  15. Feb 24, 2014
    The game looked very nice and the story was appealing. But the gameplay just wasn't for me. I think I just expected something else from the game. It seems smooth, made with a lot of care and perfectionism, but it just wasn't for me. I gave up after 5 or 6 hours.
  16. Jan 18, 2014
    There are some really good ideas in this game expressed in a very well designed environments with solid gameplay, the movement has an excellent flow to it, the combat and stealth also blend together perfectly. If you have looked at other reviews there is a big problem with repetitiveness and boring drawn out pointless donkey rides. Overall the game is a little let down by it's own ambitionThere are some really good ideas in this game expressed in a very well designed environments with solid gameplay, the movement has an excellent flow to it, the combat and stealth also blend together perfectly. If you have looked at other reviews there is a big problem with repetitiveness and boring drawn out pointless donkey rides. Overall the game is a little let down by it's own ambition and is really hoping you buy into the franchise to find out what the **** is going on with future Desmond but this is a great game, especially for people who like the concept of playing a game as an assassin ninja, which all gamers should. Expand
  17. Nov 27, 2013
    THEY NEED to remaster this on xbox one and get rid of the repetitiveness out of this game re do the missions but keep the story change the combat and free running to
    ac brotherhood and free running and story as impressive and fast paced as 2 and with actual knights Templars with the famous red cross across their chests like they was in this game the knights templar was one of the most feared knights they was the highest skilled and never surrendered not even if they was greater numbers facing them they also defeated an army when the odds was like 4 to 1 against the templars they was also the best and most skilled fighters yet in assassins creed you never see this
  18. Nov 23, 2013
    This is a game that laid groundwork for the rest rather than being the best. You are taken into the story of Altair, an assassin in the Third Crusade trying to earn back his rank by killing nine Templars for the leader of the bureau, Al Mualim. It is a great concept and the concept is why the series has lasted for years. The voice acting is pretty good (but no subtitles) and I was neverThis is a game that laid groundwork for the rest rather than being the best. You are taken into the story of Altair, an assassin in the Third Crusade trying to earn back his rank by killing nine Templars for the leader of the bureau, Al Mualim. It is a great concept and the concept is why the series has lasted for years. The voice acting is pretty good (but no subtitles) and I was never bothered by the gameplay. But, the assassinations get extremely repetitive and is the biggest offender of my belief that Assassin's Creed isn't really a fun series. The game gets boring after a while and is probably the most difficult of the series. All in all it is pretty mediocre besides graphics which in 2007 were astonishing. Still this was the game that had "blending" and the game that the main character had a different accent than everybody else. As much as I'm giving it hate, I believe it's worth a playthrough (it's not long) and is a fair introduction to the series which develops so far past this. Expand
  19. Nov 20, 2013
    probably unfair of me to rate this game as I am playing it years after it was made, game overall was enjoyable but at times felt very repetitive, if you are coming late to the series as I was you could probably get away with skipping this one as 2 gives a succinct recap of the first game and is all in all a better experience.
  20. Nov 7, 2013
    For when this game came out, it was a really great idea. Great visuals. A mixture of stealth and action. A taste of a rather deep and complicated story arc.

But now for the bad: 1) It's repetitive as hell. 2) While the story is interesting and is meant to be a part of a larger story, it is also a bit confusing and leave too much in the shadows. 3) The Desmond section is nothing

But now for the bad:
    1) It's repetitive as hell.
    3) The Desmond section is nothing more than a plot device that feels mostly needless and underdeveloped.

Overall:
    Assassin's Creed is a decent introduction to the franchise and sets things up nicely for the future titles. Still, the game on the whole feels like ACT 1 of something grander and introduces too much information that could easily of been left for the later games. Still, it is a great game and allot of fun.
  21. Nov 2, 2013
    Assassin's Creed is a beautiful game, and one that provides a decent story in a historical setting. The free running mechanics promised are pretty decent, if a little clunky. The problem is that the "stealth" and "assassinations" are boiled down to linear repetitive events that are frankly dull to play through.
  22. Oct 27, 2013
    it's an great open world game in the time it was released,the problem of the game is that isn't secondary missions and if you finish the game there is pratically anything to do unless take collectibles.
  23. Oct 21, 2013
    assasins creed 4 is coming out so im reviewing the series
    pros:altair is the coolest guy ever, interesting premise, assassinating people is as fun as possible, open world, combat is fun enough, cool historical stuff
    cons: combat is the easiest thing ever, next to no replay value, lack of extras
  24. Oct 19, 2013
    Find some evidence, assassinate some guy, return to Masyaf. Repeat ad infinitum.

Assassin'ss Creed is a good concept ruined by monotonous repetitiveness and shoddy A.I.
  25. Oct 18, 2013
    This game is so boring
    altair is one the worst character of videogames
    the gameplay wasn original. i saw it in prince of persia
    it had one the worst ending of ever
    the story is so undeep and dry
    it hasnt passion or emotional characters
    its a stupid game. i hate it
  26. Oct 14, 2013
    The original Assassins creed is still a great game. It does pale in comparison with the sequels but laid down the groundwork and fantastic concept that the rest follow.
  27. Oct 10, 2013
    I played all the other versions of Assassin's Creed, and although I would probably say that this is my least favorite part of the franchise, it is still a very entertaining game. Initially I found it quite hard to get into the game, even taking a long break before I attempted another effort to continue. Slowly I started to enjoy the game more and more. Simply put, it is fun to climb andI played all the other versions of Assassin's Creed, and although I would probably say that this is my least favorite part of the franchise, it is still a very entertaining game. Initially I found it quite hard to get into the game, even taking a long break before I attempted another effort to continue. Slowly I started to enjoy the game more and more. Simply put, it is fun to climb and sneak around in the historical versions of Jerusalem, Acre, and Damascus and this game was the first one that allowed me to do so in such an easy and intuitively way. I liked doing the assassination missions, although the side quests leading up to these (eavesdropping, finding view points, etc) become very repetitive at some point. This repetitive mission structure and the weird story are the main weaknesses of a game, that is otherwise quite worth a go. Expand
  28. Oct 10, 2013
    In this day and age a video game without subtitles is like a building without wheelchair access. Throw in stealth components designed for impatient hyperactive teens and you have a miserable game masquerading itself as a game that is really just a glorified movie with a mediocre plot.
  29. Sep 28, 2013
    Assassin's Creed te da una buena oportunidad de disfrutar de los lujos de un mapa bastante grande en toda su exquisita forma (animales, personas, ambientes, enemigos) y una excelente manera de crear una historia, los gráficos son medios pero es un gran paso para Ubisoft.
  30. Sep 15, 2013
    Please do not say AC reminds Thief series. It has nothing of it. There is not even 1% of the awesome gameplay and ambience that Thief had. Though I really wanted AC to be like this.

I have never played such a boring and repetitive game as AC. When the game was announced I was eager to buy and play this asap. Unfortunately after 5th or so assassination I couldn't stand and continue so extremely easy and repetitive game. E.g. missions like:
    1. find 200 flags of Sir John and 150 flags of King Richard (wtf???)
    or
    2. Climb 40 towers in every city (for what? to see the view from eagles nest for hundred times?)
    I have no idea who the f. designed those missions and what for!

This game is for 12yr old children who would like to be an assassin in the easiest way without any effort.
    Visuals/graphics are awesome but it's not enough, sorry. It makes me even more angry because of the spoiled potential.

1. Its stunning visual style, high concept story, and wildly open level design are like nothing else, even if too much repetition begins to frustrate in the later hours. It’s a game people will still be talking about five years from now.
    It's hard to put the sheer size and brilliance of Assassin's Creed into words. It is an epic game that you have to experience for yourself. I will caution that the game is not for the impatient or the faint of heart. While you can plow through the main storyline in under 20 hours, to truly get every single last shred of gaming goodness, you will probably have to put in twice that number.
  3. With its riveting story, beautiful visuals and surprisingly lifelike world, Assassin's Creed is an incredibly deep, enjoyable game that kept us addicted from beginning to bizarre end.