Asteroids & Deluxe Xbox 360

5.0

1. Dec 11, 2016
    I don't normally get so pissed at a product that I have to vent, but how do you screw up "Asteroids" so badly? "Asteroids Deluxe" is screwed up as well — missing the background image that the graphics were layered over to distract you from the fact it's basically the same game — but few really played/remember that game. That's like screwing up "Joust 2" or "Mappyland."

"Asteroids,"

"Asteroids," though, is iconic, and part of that iconography is the "Duh....DUH...duh...DUH..." music/heartbeat. To release what is supposedly an accurate port of that game without that music is unforgivable.

(Sorry for reviewing a 9-year-old port of two 35+-year-old games, but I just bought this on a whim last night.)

1. Official Xbox Magazine
    You can also play with the old graphics and relive that '80s charm. [Oct 2007, p.74]
  2. A product of their dated environment for sure, but still two fine examples of video gaming when considered within context.
  3. It's simple, accessible and briefly entertaining.